PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley contradicts himself by complaining about Harbaugh

KCrockaholic
08-20-2011, 04:21 PM
http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2011/8/20/2374420/todd-haley-contradicts-himself-by-complaining-about-john-harbaugh

Aug 20, 2011 - I'm sure Todd Haley doesn't like to lose. That's an admirable quality (and a necessary one) for any football coach (or person for that matter), but there's no reason to have a reaction the one Todd Haley had toward the Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh after the 31-13 loss last night in preseason game number two.

Specifically, Haley was frustrated that Harbaugh seemed to run up the score by continuing to drive toward the end zone with the game firmly in hand and the clock winding down its final seconds. Sportsmanship is something Haley is pointing toward when he makes such complaints -- that there's a gentleman's way to conduct yourselves on the field, and somehow Harbaugh didn't measure up to the rules of etiquette involved.

Harbaugh said he understood as he addressed the issue after the game with the following statement:

"I want to apologize to the Chiefs if they feel like we were not doing the right thing at the end of the game," Harbaugh said. "That wasn't the midset, OK? The mindset was - this is the preseason. If this had been the regular season, we would've been on a knee. The idea in that situation is to give those young guys who work hard and who are trying to make a football team - this football team or another football team - to play the whole 60 minutes and give them a chance to show what they can do. Offensive line, running backs, everybody.

"I know that's debatable, I know there's a point of view both ways, I understand that. But I just feel like that was the right thing to do for our players, to give them a chance to play the game out and see what they can do. So, that was the thinking on that."

If it comes down to the perspective of two coaches, I'm going with Harbaugh 11 times out of 10. And I was utterly shocked that Haley tried to call out a coach for what I would believe would be his same response. Day after day, Haley has been preaching about team readiness -- that the only thing that matters is having the right set of players ready for game day on September 11. Nothing else matters, according to Haley. Yet when the Chiefs are on the losing end, suddenly sportsmanship matters?

When you play 240 total minutes of preseason games and you're testing out up to 90 total players in that time, every minute counts. Heck, every second counts. You maximize the time on the field to test and ultimately put out the best final product that you can. Taking a knee isn't good sportsmanship. It's a waste of time and opportunity. "Putting a game in the books" is something for the regular season, but if nothing else matters, then cementing a win makes no sense in these preseason weeks.

In other words, Haley is contradicting his own sermons when he complains about Harbaugh's approach. If everything is about having the team ready for Week One of the regular season, then you take advantage of every opportunity between now and then to evaluate your players, test their game-time instincts, try out different plays and take advantage of whatever scenario the game gives you. Harbaugh knows this and acted accordingly. Haley knows this, but somehow took it personally.

Harbaugh not only coached his team correctly, but even had the heart to address it and go out of his way to offer up an explanation. There's none needed, coach. You're the one setting the right example.

Some people's kids.

This article was so pathetic I had to post it.

TheGuardian
08-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Haley has a legit complaint and Harbaugh did the right thing in addressing it.

Nothing to see here.

Reaper16
08-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Still no evidence that Haley actually was upset about anything.

KCrockaholic
08-20-2011, 04:30 PM

Nothing to see here.

Did Haley even say anything though? No one really knows what he even said to Harbaugh.

unlurking
08-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Still no evidence that Haley actually was upset about anything.
^This^

Nowhere in the article is there a single quote from Haley. Just more wannabe sports journalists trying to stir up shit so they can feel relevant.

BigRichard
08-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I usually like Haley's antics but if he did this that is ****ed up. The preseason is to evaluate talent not to care about the score. If the Ravens wanted to play their 1st string the entire game that is up to them.

Shaid
08-20-2011, 04:49 PM
hmm, the title says Haley complained about Harbaugh yet not once do I see a Haley quote where he complained about Harbaugh. Interesting...:hmmm:

Raider
08-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Haley all butt hurt... lol

Anquan Boldin was 1/2 second from putting Haley in a hospital a couple years ago if Boldins team mate didnt stop him

Todd Haley better lighten up, some players gonna kick his ass UFC style

KCrockaholic
08-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Haley all butt hurt... lol

Anquan Boldin was 1/2 second from putting Haley in a hospital a couple years ago if Boldins team mate didnt stop him

Todd Haley better lighten up, some players gonna kick his ass UFC style

I was gonna call you a dumbass, but then realized you were a raider fan and more than likely already knew that.

warrior
08-20-2011, 05:25 PM
I was gonna call you a dumbass, but then realized you were a raider fan and more than likely already knew that.

Nice :D

unlurking
08-20-2011, 05:26 PM
ROFL

keg in kc
08-20-2011, 05:28 PM
New title: Matt Connor contradicts himself by saying Todd Haley Contradicts Himself By Complaining About John Harbaugh and then doesn't actually show Todd Haley complaining about John Harbaugh.

Count Alex's Losses
08-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Haley looked agitated when he went to talk to Harbaugh at the end of the game.

That's the extent of the evidence.

KCrockaholic
08-20-2011, 05:35 PM
RogerGoodell Fake Roger Goodell
Is Todd Haley the coach of the Kansas City Skirts? Maybe if your squaws played a little defense you could've stuffed it in Harbaugh's face.

BigMeatballDave
08-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Shitty journalism.

This is making an issue out of something that is a complete fucking non-issue.

Count Alex's Losses
08-20-2011, 05:41 PM
BOILING WITH RAGE

http://i56.tinypic.com/2i0ciom.jpg

Okie_Apparition
08-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Haley is just drawing attention away from that TNT that is ready to explode again, Thomas Jones

Reaper16
08-20-2011, 06:12 PM
BOILING WITH RAGE

http://i56.tinypic.com/2i0ciom.jpg
You should have let the .gif play until Haley gave Harbaugh a thumbs-up.

We've all seen what Haley looks like when he's mad. Last night was not one of those times.

KurtCobain
08-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't get it at all.

OctoberFart
08-20-2011, 06:27 PM

Nothing to see here.

No Haley didn't have a legit complaint. Harbaugh shut his ass up and completely owned him. On a side note does any coach whine more than Haley? He should worry more about his garbage D and own players performance than the other coach letting guys try and make a roster spot. What would he know though he never played football before.

milkman
08-20-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't get it at all.

That makes you a perfect candidate to work in the media.

DBOSHO
08-20-2011, 06:29 PM
No Haley didn't have a legit complaint. Harbaugh shut his ass up and completely owned him. On a side note does any coach whine more than Haley? He should worry more about his garbage D and own players performance than the other coach letting guys try and make a roster spot. What would he know though he never played football before.

Lulz garbage d

milkman
08-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Speaking of clueless.

KurtCobain
08-20-2011, 06:31 PM
That makes you a perfect candidate to work in the media.

What I meant was, I don't get the media specualting that Haley was pissed. I wouldn't be able to make shit up like they do.

BigRock
08-20-2011, 06:31 PM
You should have let the .gif play until Haley gave Harbaugh a thumbs-up.

We've all seen what Haley looks like when he's mad. Last night was not one of those times.

I think the thumb is just cropped out. As is Harbaugh giving him a bro-tap on the arm, and then the "later, broseph" finger point as they walked away.

KurtCobain
08-20-2011, 06:32 PM

I thought you died from salmonella poisoning after eating your mom out?

Raider
08-20-2011, 06:34 PM
LOL

Haley with Sandgina

Reerun_KC
08-20-2011, 06:44 PM
People are still talking about this?

TheGuardian
08-20-2011, 06:49 PM

Go suck a fat whores blueberry waffle.

Braincase
08-20-2011, 06:50 PM

Al Davis never played either, and no owner or GM whines, moans, and complains more than he does. I'm surprised Haley isn't your prototype coach.

OctoberFart
08-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Speaking of clueless.

The only ones clueless are Haley and the Queeef fans that actually think Harbaugh did something wrong or even care about preseason.

KCrockaholic
08-20-2011, 06:54 PM
The only ones clueless are Haley and the Queeef fans that actually think Harbaugh did something wrong or even care about preseason.

Somehow clueless Haley took this garbage D to the playoffs last year while once again Chokeland finished 3rd place.

milkman
08-20-2011, 06:55 PM

Show me where Haley thinks Harbaugh did something wrong.

DaFace
08-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Anyone know the context of Harbaugh's comments? If he just offered that out of nowhere, it implies that Haley was cranky about the score. But if a reporter proactively asked if the Chiefs were pissed about running up the score, then this whole "issue" is bullshit. (And isn't really an issue to me anyway.)

KurtCobain
08-20-2011, 06:57 PM
There's nothing funnier than all the chokeland fans last year at arrowhead cheering and laughing about being 6-0 in the division. All I could say is see you in the playoffs.

Priest31kc
08-20-2011, 07:09 PM

You do know that the 3rd & 4th string defense was out there at the time right? Ya know, the players that most likely wont be on the team in 2 weeks. God your a fucking dumbass.

Nightfyre
08-20-2011, 07:10 PM
The raider trolls smell blood in the water. or annoyance. or something.

rocknrolla
08-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Anyone know the context of Harbaugh's comments? If he just offered that out of nowhere, it implies that Haley was cranky about the score. But if a reporter proactively asked if the Chiefs were pissed about running up the score, then this whole "issue" is bullshit. (And isn't really an issue to me anyway.)

This!

I guarantee, if Haley had not said anything to McDanials last year. This wouldn't even be an issue. I see nothing wrong with what Haley did last night.

memyselfI
08-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Haley is a smart whiny bitch...

throw a temper tantrum and try to create controversy to divert attention from his team's pathetic showing. He's done this twice. I think Harbaugh apologizing was pretty smart too. He could have just said if you don't want my team to score instruct your team to stop them. :hmmm:

philfree
08-20-2011, 07:16 PM

I just watched Harbaugh's interview and it's all good. According to Harbaugh what Haley said was "I don't know about that last score." Harbaugh said he responded by saying "Preseason! Preseason!" Haley said "O.K.".
If you saw it you saw Haley give Harbaugh the thumbs up.
This is nothing.

Reaper16
08-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Baltimore radio people asked Harbaugh about it, presumably based off of the assumption that Haley was mad. I'm convinced that they were trying to stir the pot.

BigRock
08-20-2011, 07:19 PM

Harbaugh started off his press conference talking about it and said he'd talked to the team about it when they got back to the locker room. Combine that with the fact that he looked like the one who wanted to do all the talking when he and Haley initially shook hands, and it seems like Harbaugh wanted to make it clear to everyone -- Haley, his team, the media -- that he intended no disrespect. I don't think there's much chance of Harbaugh addressing his team about it if he was just reacting to Haley being pissy.

Haley probably wasn't real thrilled, but he did little to nothing to indicate it. A Baltimore reporter then followed up by asking if that's what Harbaugh had been talking to Haley about, and Harbaugh said yes and elaborated some more.

I think the reporter who asked that question works for the same radio station that went around claiming Haley angrily berated Harbaugh and a bunch of other bullshit. And versions of that story have now been picked up by numerous sites.

milkman
08-20-2011, 07:19 PM

throw a temper tantrum and try to create controversy to divert attention from his team's pathetic showing. He's done this twice. I think Harbaugh apologizing was pretty smart too. He could have just said if you don't want my team to score instruct your team to stop them. :hmmm:

Well hello, stupid bitch.

nose
08-20-2011, 07:27 PM
I thought you died from salmonella poisoning after eating your mom out?

Pfft L M F A O

yuck man fudgin nasty biatch

BigMeatballDave
08-20-2011, 07:35 PM

throw a temper tantrum and try to create controversy to divert attention from his team's pathetic showing. He's done this twice. I think Harbaugh apologizing was pretty smart too. He could have just said if you don't want my team to score instruct your team to stop them. :hmmm:LMAO typical

penchief
08-20-2011, 07:39 PM

What are you basing your evaluation on? Did something of substance actually come out that can be considered evidence? Or are you jumping back on your anti-Haley bandwagon first chance you get?

You were completely off base in your initial complaints about Haley and unless you know something more than the rest of us it seems you might be jumping to conclusions once again. Why don't you just admit that you aren't willing to give Haley a fair shake? Be honest about it.

BigMeatballDave
08-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Baltimore radio people asked Harbaugh about it, presumably based off of the assumption that Haley was mad. I'm convinced that they were trying to stir the pot.Media types stirring the pot? Never.

kstater
08-20-2011, 07:43 PM

Go back into your hole, cunt.

SPchief
08-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Well hello, stupid bitch.

Go back into your hole, cunt.

LMAO Fucking awesome

Okie_Apparition
08-20-2011, 09:38 PM
By ADAM T to the E to the I to the C to the H the E to the R
The Kansas City Star

For at least the second occasion in his brief time with the Chiefs, Todd Haley got into a post-game disagreement with the opposing head coach.

It happened this time after Friday night’s 31-13 preseason loss to the Ravens in Baltimore. Haley and his Baltimore counterpart, John Harbaugh, appeared to have some cross words during their brief post-game meeting on the field.

The Ravens had a favorable result safely tucked away when they got the ball back leading 24-13 with 1:18 remaining. Rather than have their quarterback kneel after the snap a couple of times, Harbaugh had the Ravens attacking.

Quarterback Hunter Cantwell threw a 38-yard pass on the Ravens’ first play of the drive and Baltimore later called timeout to set up a one-yard touchdown run by Anthony Allen with five seconds left in the game.

“I want to apologize to the Chiefs if they feel we were not doing the right thing at the end of the game,’’ Harbaugh said in his post-game remarks. “If this had been the regular season, we would have been on a knee. The idea in this situation is to give the young guys who work hard and who are trying to make the football team, this football team or another football team, to play the whole 60 minutes and give them a chance to show what they can do . ..I know that’s debatable. I know there are points of view both ways.

“I think (Haley) said something like, ‘I don’t know about that’ and I understood that. I just said, ‘Preseason, preseason for the young guys.’ And he said, ‘OK.’ ’’

For his part, Haley tried to downplay any clash with Harbaugh.

“I just control what we do,’’ Haley said shortly after game’s end. “There are probably guys out on the field that may have had limited opportunity. Coaches get very limited opportunity to evaluate (players) so their coach has to do what he has to do to get his team ready just like I’m trying to do what we have to do to get ours ready.’’

Haley had angry words and gestures for Denver coach Josh McDaniels after the Broncos routed the Chiefs last year.

Reach Adam Teicher at ateicher@kcstar.com.

Posted on Sat, Aug. 20, 2011 01:55 PM

OctoberFart
08-21-2011, 02:07 PM
You do know that the 3rd & 4th string defense was out there at the time right? Ya know, the players that most likely wont be on the team in 2 weeks. God your a ****ing dumbass.

Yeah I do and that is why you don't take a knee. Give these kids a chance to see who is worth sorting thru and keeping. Also gives them a shot with other teams exactly like Harbaugh said he was doing. So I am the dumbass that gets this?

Mr. Arrowhead
08-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah I do and that is why you don't take a knee. Give these kids a chance to see who is worth sorting thru and keeping. Also gives them a shot with other teams exactly like Harbaugh said he was doing. So I am the dumbass that gets this?

You are a dumbass, because you like a rapist team like the raiders

Just Passin' By
08-21-2011, 02:20 PM

Given that even Harbaugh acknowledged it as an issue, with "I know that’s debatable. I know there are points of view both ways" despite him being the one throwing the ball....

Yeah, you're a dumbass.

Shaid
08-21-2011, 02:26 PM
I don't have a problem with them going for it in that situation. It's preseason and it is about evaluation. In a normal game you don't do that(unless you're the Patriots:rolleyes:).