PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: In loss, Tyler Palko strengthens grip on backup QB job

Tribal Warfare
08-21-2011, 05:24 AM
In loss, Tyler Palko strengthens grip on backup QB job (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/20/3088502/qb-palko-may-have-strengthened.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Whether he’s bolting out of the pocket at the first sign of trouble or pushing a backhanded pass while on the run, Tyler Palko’s style can often be described as unconventional.

He has also been the Chiefs’ best quarterback through the first half of their preseason. Palko guided the Chiefs on the only touchdown drive of the two games in Friday night’s 31-13 loss to the Ravens in Baltimore.

The 80-yard drive near the end of the first half ended when Palko, in an uncharacteristic move for him, stood his ground with a defender in his face and fired a 4-yard scoring pass to Terrance Copper.

Palko completed eight of 13 passes for 95 yards and the touchdown against the Ravens. He by far outplayed the Chiefs’ other backup quarterback, rookie Ricky Stanzi, as well as the starter, Matt Cassel.

While Palko may not have nailed down the No. 2 quarterback spot, he probably improved his candidacy.

“I feel like there were a lot of positives that had to come out of Tyler getting a bunch of snaps,” coach Todd Haley said. “It was not all perfect. I thought he was able to make progress.”

Palko’s night started on a rough note when he was hit hard and flattened by a defender while attempting his first pass of the game. The play was originally ruled a fumble that Baltimore recovered before a video review showed his arm to be moving forward, resulting in an incomplete pass.

The play didn’t rattle Palko. The Chiefs didn’t score on that drive but they did on the next one. Palko completed three of four passes for 50 yards on the drive, but the touchdown was his most impressive play. With an unblocked defender coming his way, Palko didn’t flinch and calmly flipped the pass to Copper.

“They were bringing one more than we have and that guy is mine,” Palko said. “That’s my job to give ground and let the receiver do his job, which he did.”

Palko is getting the best chance of his four-year NFL odyssey. Before joining the Chiefs in March 2010, Palko bounced from New Orleans to Arizona to Pittsburgh without ever getting a significant trial.

It was as if no team took him seriously, perhaps because of his style of play.

“It’s not my intention to scramble,” Palko said. “Whenever somebody is in your face and you feel pressure, you’ve just got to try to move around.”

The Chiefs can make a move to sign a veteran quarterback at any time, but the fact they have yet to do so seems to indicate they are warming to Palko and the idea of him as their leading reserve.

Palko is distancing himself from Stanzi on their hierarchy of Chiefs quarterbacks but isn’t yet resting easily.

“At the end of training camp and when we make final cuts, we’ll look at it then,” Palko said. “We took some steps in the right direction offensively and that’s always encouraging.”

milkman
08-21-2011, 05:28 AM
In spite of the fact that Palko did face some pressure, the fact is, in the two games this preseason, he hasn't seen the jailbreaks that Stanzi has been the victim of.

I'd like to see Stanzi get a shot with the twos just to see how he stacks up.

Dick Bull
08-21-2011, 06:17 AM
In spite of the fact that Palko did face some pressure, the fact is, in the two games this preseason, he hasn't seen the jailbreaks that Stanzi has been the victim of.

True that. It's almost like they've already made up their mind. I always thought you let the backups play with the starters to see what they're made of rather than getting destroyed by the lack of talent around you.

Marcellus
08-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Ummm.........yay?

DBOSHO
08-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Im not really comfortable going with a hobbit whose arm makes Penningtons look like a cannon if Cassel gets hurt.

HotRoute
08-21-2011, 07:23 AM
I doubt pioli will bring anyone in to threaten the starting qb role. Cassel is the guy and if he has an injury (or an apendectemy) the chiefs are gonna lose

Kinda late in the preseason to bring in a new guy to learn the entire playbook

Deberg_1990
08-21-2011, 07:49 AM

True, but does it really matter for this season? If we get down to either of these guys this year we are done.

Coogs
08-21-2011, 07:53 AM
I guess maybe I am to harsh, but I just did not feel comfortable with any pass Palko made. Almost every single throw he made... at the time of the throw... looked like a pass that was going to be intercepted. Two nearly were... and both probably would have went for TD's for the Ravens.

Stanzi's first completion to Tucker, IMO, was probably the best pass of the night by any QB in a white jersey. Even better than Cassel's pass down the sideline to Bowe. Both of Bowe's catches on the right sideline from Cassel were up for grabs... Bowe making two damn nice catches.

TEX
08-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Palko was darn lucky that a couple passes werent's picked off. One very easily could have been a pick-6. The Chiefs need to get better at back-up QB.

MIAdragon
08-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Palko was darn lucky that a couple passes werent's picked off. One very easily could have been a pick-6. The Chiefs need to get better at back-up QB.

They already have one on the roster.

JD10367
08-21-2011, 08:16 AM

No they don't. Palko is as good as Alex Smith, don't you know that? Alex Smith may have thrown 50 touchdowns in the NFL, but Palko has looked a little good against backups in teh preseasonz!!11!1!

milkman
08-21-2011, 08:19 AM
No they don't. Palko is as good as Alex Smith, don't you know that? Alex Smith may have thrown 50 touchdowns in the NFL, but Palko has looked a little good against backups in teh preseasonz!!11!1!

I think you missed the sarcastic intent of that post.

CaliforniaChief
08-21-2011, 08:47 AM

Yep. I am obviously a huge fan of Stanzi's, but I think he'll look a lot better if he can be in a situation where the ball actually gets to him before a diving linebacker does.

That said, I was thoroughly impressed with the TD drive by Palko before the 2nd. Weren't most of B-more's first string defenders still in for that?

milkman
08-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Yep. I am obviously a huge fan of Stanzi's, but I think he'll look a lot better if he can be in a situation where the ball actually gets to him before a diving linebacker does.

That said, I was thoroughly impressed with the TD drive by Palko before the 2nd. Weren't most of B-more's first string defenders still in for that?

That TD drive was impressive.

But, like Coogs, I cringed on every pass.

They all lacked any velocity, and were floaters or near floaters, especially the ones he threw that looked like jump passes.

Coogs
08-21-2011, 09:39 AM
I just rewatched all of Cassel's and Palko's throws. I was probably a little too harsh on Palko, as not all of his throws were up for grabs. But he was fortunate 2 throws did not get picked. The swing pass to McCluster, and the underhanded flip up the sideline. Palko did have a couple of good throws, one of which was not caught that would/should have been a TD... and that drive ended with a FG. Still would like to see Stanzi get some snaps with the group Palko was given... as others have mentioned.

Cassel was also fortunate twice. First pass to Bowe on right sideline, and the slant pass to Urban. Cassel also missed Breaston for a sure TD two plays before Succop missed the FG. Breaston and Bowe were both on the left side... Cassel was receiving some pressure, and threw to Bowe who was covered at the very same time Breaston was seperating from his defender. Both should have been in his field of vision. Breaston's defender turned inside and gave Breaston 2 to 3 yards of seperation from left to right, plus that step where you know the receiver is going to run by the CB. Those are the types of reads the elite QB's never seem to miss.

And one more note on Stanzi... he had Cox as his main RB almost his entire time in the game, as Battle went out on his first or second play into the game.

TEX
08-21-2011, 09:46 AM
They already have one on the roster.

Naw - as much as I want Stanzi to be ready for the season - no way in hell I make that kid my # 2, especially since he missed so much due to the lockout. He is nowhere near ready and if he is pressed into duty as such, it could ruin him.

ForeverChiefs58
08-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Is this cause I said Alex Smith sucks like Palko sucks? Really?

Smth might be better, but who cares? He could also be compared to Croyle since he has yet to complete a full season since 2006, but who gives a shit.

Who cares that he has 50 TD's? You ignore that he also has 53 INT's and 34 fumbles in 29 games while missing 35 games in four years and never having a winning season despite being a #1 overall draftpick. Why would you want a giant bust? I hear Jamarcus Russel or Ryan Leaf might be available too. No Thanks.

Colin Kaepernick, a rookie with 0 TD's in reg season, outplayed Alex Smith.

Steve Bono had more TD's too, and Elvis Grbac had like 100 TD's. I also wouldn't want either of them. None of these guys or A. Smith make any QB on our roster better.

If your backup is going to play, your season is usually pretty much in the shitter anyway. Might as well see how the rookie does with the #1's and a strong running game. At least the fans would be behind the rookie playing, and if it put us in the Luck sweepstakes than so be it.

gblowfish
08-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Palko is lame. We need to pick up whoever is the best QB cut on the final cutdown, keep Stanzi as #3 guy, and hopefully next year he can be #2 guy as we draft another QB in the 4th or 5th round.

It would be nice if we could find a guy, develop him, and have him give Cassel a run for the starter.

BossChief
08-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Naw - as much as I want Stanzi to be ready for the season - no way in hell I make that kid my # 2, especially since he missed so much due to the lockout. He is nowhere near ready and if he is pressed into duty as such, it could ruin him.I don't agree that putting any rookie into a real game can "ruin him"...if he doesn't have the mental ability to fight through adversity and improve his deficiencies he isn't really the kind of guy to lead an NFL club anyway. That goes for Stanzi and any other quarterback in the league.

As for you arguing point of when Stanzi would be ready after the missed offseason, it would depend on the timing. Ive said it a few times and Ill say it again, Stanzi knows this type of offense, he is just getting the playbook down. Thats really the only part of this that he is behind Keanu on.

If Cassel went down in the first 5 weeks or so, Keanu Reeves should probably come in...if it happens after that, Id rather see Stanzi come in with a limited playbook and see what he can do.

If he shits the bed, nothing is lost but lots is gained. Zorn will have a lot of film to study and come back to Stanzi on in the film room to show what he could have done differently and work with him.

The real question is...what if he didn't shit the bed and plays well for a 2-3 game stretch and then Cassel comes back in and doesnt impress?

Then the coaching staff has a dilemma on their hands.

ForeverChiefs58
08-21-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't agree that putting any rookie into a real game can "ruin him"...if he doesn't have the mental ability to fight through adversity and improve his deficiencies he isn't really the kind of guy to lead an NFL club anyway. That goes for Stanzi and any other quarterback in the league.

As for you arguing point of when Stanzi would be ready after the missed offseason, it would depend on the timing. Ive said it a few times and Ill say it again, Stanzi knows this type of offense, he is just getting the playbook down. Thats really the only part of this that he is behind Keanu on.

If Cassel went down in the first 5 weeks or so, Keanu Reeves should probably come in...if it happens after that, Id rather see Stanzi come in with a limited playbook and see what he can do.

If he shits the bed, nothing is lost but lots is gained. Zorn will have a lot of film to study and come back to Stanzi on in the film room to show what he could have done differently and work with him.

The real question is...what if he didn't shit the bed and plays well for a 2-3 game stretch and then Cassel comes back in and doesnt impress?

Couldn't agree more. Great post.

Tribal Warfare
08-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Cassel was also fortunate twice. First pass to Bowe on right sideline, and the slant pass to Urban. Cassel also missed Breaston for a sure TD two plays before Succop missed the FG. Breaston and Bowe were both on the left side... Cassel was receiving some pressure, and threw to Bowe who was covered at the very same time Breaston was seperating from his defender. Both should have been in his field of vision. Breaston's defender turned inside and gave Breaston 2 to 3 yards of seperation from left to right, plus that step where you know the receiver is going to run by the CB. Those are the types of reads the elite QB's never seem to miss.

[ sarcasm]Shhhhhh, that's all speculation [/sarcasm]

CoMoChief
08-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Eh....I dont like left handed QB's......, not to mention Stanzi looks a lot better than Palko at times, he has the higher ceiling, I'd still sign a vet as a backup and have Stanzi as 3rd, Palko to PS.

Okie_Apparition
08-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Palko has to of used up his PS eligibility & Stanzi would have to be moved up after a claim was filed. Cut Palko & pick up whoever the Steelers cut. Unless Batch just retires

Fritz88
08-21-2011, 11:04 AM
We should draft Tom Brady.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bump
08-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Stanzi must be really bad if Palko is "strengthening" his position over him.

Messier
08-21-2011, 11:08 AM
I just rewatched all of Cassel's and Palko's throws. I was probably a little too harsh on Palko, as not all of his throws were up for grabs. But he was fortunate 2 throws did not get picked. The swing pass to McCluster, and the underhanded flip up the sideline. Palko did have a couple of good throws, one of which was not caught that would/should have been a TD... and that drive ended with a FG. Still would like to see Stanzi get some snaps with the group Palko was given... as others have mentioned.

And one more note on Stanzi... he had Cox as his main RB almost his entire time in the game, as Battle went out on his first or second play into the game.

Cassel is not an elite QB. I think this has been established. He's a good middle of the road QB. He's not top five, never will be. I think you can win a Super Bowl with him, but he won't be what got you there.

CoMoChief
08-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Ricki Stanzi reminds me of a young-rookie (coming out of college) Aaron Rodgers.

Demonpenz
08-21-2011, 11:13 AM
are we sure palko i throwing with the correct hand?

Mr. Laz
08-21-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't see how Palko did anything to grab the 2nd spot. Stanzi made some mistakes so Palko moved up by default.

besides in my opinion, Pioli wants no part of Stanzi being near Cassel on the depth chart. Also Haley prefers having a durable scrambler in the 2nd spot because our Oline stinks and Palko can take a beating and keep going. If Cassel gets hurt it will suit Todd 'iwannaruneverydown' Haley just fine to run Palko out there.

I hope i'm wrong about Haley but the more i see the less i want him handling the offense.

BossChief
08-21-2011, 11:30 AM
The last thing Haley wants to do is run the ball every play.

Exoter175
08-21-2011, 11:43 AM
The small amount of the game I actually got to watch, showed that maybe our receivers haven't adjusted yet to Stanzi, because every ball he threw was a rocket, and was leading the receiver. Unfortunately, the third string receivers have hands made of stone lol.

God forbid, if Cassel goes down, I have complete faith in Stanzi. Why? Because I watched him at Iowa. He's a winner, he's a gamer, he's going to do what he needs to do to win the game, and he'll fight every inch for it. Which I saw quite a bit of in Cassel last year. I think we'll be just fine.

That being said, I was thinking we'd maybe take a shot at a veteran guy this week to challenge Palko for his job. 2nd or 3rd won't matter, Stanzi is going to be on the roster if a 4th or even 5th QB were to come in here.

keg in kc
08-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Stanzi doesn't look anywhere close to ready to backup. Palko on his best day still doesn't look like he should be any part of a regular season NFL game. So to my eyes we're in exactly the same spot we were last week, trading or picking up the best vet after cutdowns to replace Palko and burning a roster spot on Stanzi if they think he's worth developing and don't want to risk losing him after he's cut for the practice squad.

Just Passin' By
08-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't agree that putting any rookie into a real game can "ruin him"...if he doesn't have the mental ability to fight through adversity and improve his deficiencies he isn't really the kind of guy to lead an NFL club anyway. That goes for Stanzi and any other quarterback in the league.

Putting in a QB before he's ready has ruined a lot of quarterbacks.

Coogs
08-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Cassel is not an elite QB. I think this has been established. He's a good middle of the road QB. He's not top five, never will be. I think you can win a Super Bowl with him, but he won't be what got you there.

I know. It's just hard to watch what should be gimme TD pass not even being made due to failure to recognize. And again, it was right in his field of vision, not on the other side of the field. Those have got to be 6 points put on the board... expecially in the playoffs.

Exoter175
08-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Putting in a QB before he's ready has ruined a lot of quarterbacks.

I think his point, is that a lot of Rookie QB's didn't come from a Pro Style Offense at Iowa.

I made a comment on another forum back in October about Stanzi, saying that if we ever got a shot to draft him, that I hoped we would because he would literally be an instant plug-in QB for this time, because of the similarities of the Chiefs offense and Iowa's offense under Kirk Ferentz. Everyone argued and threw names like Luck (prior to staying), Gabbert, Mallet, etc. would be a better fit, and towards the end of the year, they all fell in line and agreed. Come draft time, who did we steal in the draft? Stanzi. Why? Because he's got the intangibles to be a starter in this league, he just needs to have a great QB coach fix his mecehanics. Also, because he could learn this offense faster than any other QB out there.

I'm not even kidding. Go pick two random games from the Chiefs last year, watch them. Then go pick two random games from the Hawkeyes last year. The resemblance is amazing.

While most QB's do get ruined by starting too early and having to deal with that pressure, Stanzi already went through that pressure in college. He was a 4 year starter at Iowa and won 2 bowl games in consecutive seasons against some tough teams, including a stretch of 2 or 3 years where he got the nickname "4th quarter Stanzi", because of this absolutely obnoxious passing statistics in the 4th quarter of his games.

We'll be fine with him back there if we run into trouble with Cassel.

Coogs
08-21-2011, 12:00 PM

Good post. Many here were in favor of building the offense and then adding the QB as opposed to drafting a QB and adding the team to fit said QB.

That is kind of where we are at. We have a pretty darn good set of skill players on offense.

And our offensive line isn't exactly chopped liver anymore. Could it be better? Possibly. But it could be much worse too. If we keep 8 on the O-line, I have seen worse than this... Albert, Lilja, Weigmann, Asamoah, Richardson, Gaither, Hudson, and Harris.

All of the peices should be in place for a young QB... Stanzi... to step in and make his case if need be in the regular season.

Messier
08-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I know. It's just hard to watch what should be gimme TD pass not even being made due to failure to recognize. And again, it was right in his field of vision, not on the other side of the field. Those have got to be 6 points put on the board... expecially in the playoffs.

He's at his worst when he feels pressure, like many QBs. If he gets time he can pick you apart, like many QBs. With really good line play, he's a really good QB.

Coogs
08-21-2011, 12:21 PM
He's at his worst when he feels pressure, like many QBs. If he gets time he can pick you apart, like many QBs. With really good line play, he's a really good QB.

Unfortunately, playoff teams usually can bring some sort of pressure. Cassel needs to make that next step this season, and learn to deal with pressure. Otherwise... :shrug:

keg in kc
08-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Man, the homer-vision is strong on stanzi.

Thig Lyfe
08-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Tyler Palko's Meet the Frowns

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Sunshine/dogs ass etc

milkman
08-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Stanzi doesn't look anywhere close to ready to backup. Palko on his best day still doesn't look like he should be any part of a regular season NFL game. So to my eyes we're in exactly the same spot we were last week, trading or picking up the best vet after cutdowns to replace Palko and burning a roster spot on Stanzi if they think he's worth developing and don't want to risk losing him after he's cut for the practice squad.

Man, the homer-vision is strong on stanzi.

I agree that there is some homer vision regarding Stanzi, but I also think, as unbiased as you are trying to be, you are not entirely unbiased.

I have no idea what Stanzi is.

I don't give a rat's ass about Iowa or Iowa St., or where ever he hails from, as I don't give a rat's ass about any college program.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that anyone can make any kind of evaluation of the readyness, or lack thereof, of Stanzi given the the crap he's dealt with in terms of protection when he's entered the game.

He won't be watching Escape From Alcatraz or The Shawshank Redemption anytime soon because he's seen enough jail breaks firsthand in this lifetime in just the few snaps he's played this preseason.

I do know this, the 2 or 3 chances he's had to set up and throw, his mechanics are miles ahead of both Cassel and Palko, and his arm strength is much better, as well.

He also showed some real moxie on one play last week, getting the ball to Battle on a scoop pass under duress.

He's shown some mobility, escapability, and hasn't panicked, in spite of the incredible pressure he's faced, play after play.

I don't know how advanced he is in this offense, and I also don't where he's at when it comes to making reads.

There is simply no way to know.

keg in kc
08-21-2011, 02:11 PM
I agree that there is some homer vision regarding Stanzi, but I also think, as unbiased as you are trying to be, you are not entirely unbiased.

I have no idea what Stanzi is.

I don't give a rat's ass about Iowa or Iowa St., or where ever he hails from, as I don't give a rat's ass about any college program.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that anyone can make any kind of evaluation of the readyness, or lack thereof, of Stanzi given the the crap he's dealt with in terms of protection when he's entered the game.

He won't be watching Escape From Alcatraz or The Shawshank Redemption anytime soon because he's seen enough jail breaks firsthand in this lifetime in just the few snaps he's played this preseason.

I do know this, the 2 or 3 chances he's had to set up and throw, his mechanics are miles ahead of both Cassel and Palko, and his arm strength is much better, as well.

He also showed some real moxie on one play last week, getting the ball to Battle on a scoop pass under duress.

He's shown some mobility, escapability, and hasn't panicked, in spite of the incredible pressure he's faced, play after play.

I don't know how advanced he is in this offense, and I also don't where he's at when it comes to making reads.

There is simply no way to know.Well, I'm working under the assumption that he's playing third string for a reason, and that he hasn't demonstrated to the coaching staff in practice that he's a better alternative than Palko at this point. They don't strike me as the kind of staff that holds a player back; Houston, Hudson, Baldwin when healthy, Powe, Barry and Lewis last year, et cetera were all playing with 2nd or 1st team. So this isn't Vermeil we're talking about. Guys seem to get placed based on what they do, rather than automatically seated behind veterans just because they're rookies.

I do have some bias. I like that he's a hard worker, and he does have better mechanics to a degree, but I also think he has extremely limited upside. I think he has physical limitations, and I think he has cognitive limitations. And I have never seen "it" in him, that being the indecipherable greatness quotient everybody wants in a quarterback. I think he's destined at best to be a game manager at the NFL level, and not the kind of quarterback I'd want to put the future of a franchise in the hands of. He's the kind of quarterback I'd want backing up a starting quarterback. Which is exactly the same thing I said about Cassel in 2009. Because that's how I see him: another Cassel-type quarterback.

Which is, coincidentally, why, heading into the draft, I thought that he was exactly the kind of quarterback that they would take. Matt Cassel with (much) more college experience and better mechanics. Greg McElroy with a much better arm.

So I'm not likely to get all that excited about him until he earns the 2nd team role in practice (which could happen this week, for all we now...) and then he shows some things on the field.

At this point, I think he's a rookie NFL quarterback short several months of an offseason, so I doubt seriously he's anywhere close to ready to go. He might have been with 3 months of OTAs, but unfortunately for him he didn't get them.

All that said, I'm perfectly fine with giving him every opportunity to prove himself. Because I understand the reality that me thinking a player is a certain thing doesn't mean that he actually is that certain thing. He actually could be a lot more than I think he is, and I will freely admit that. Which is why I would agree that every player deserves a chance. That's why I didn't write McCluster off last year, despite the fact that I didn't like, much less understand the pick. But Stanzi's got to earn it. You don't just say "go play with the 2s and see what you can do". Practice well during the week, show them something, make them put you in against the Rams on Friday. If he does that, I'm all for seeing what he can do. And I hope he blows the doors off, and all of a sudden we're talking about a wacky contrived quarterback controversy, he's the next Tom Brady, and suddenly we're set for the next decade.

But he's got to actually do something first, and I'm not even talking about in a preseason game where I can see it and become a true believer.

milkman
08-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Well, I'm working under the assumption that he's playing third string for a reason, and that he hasn't demonstrated to the coaching staff in practice that he's a better alternative than Palko at this point. They don't strike me as the kind of staff that holds a player back; Houston, Hudson, Baldwin when healthy, Powe, Barry and Lewis last year, et cetera were all playing with 2nd or 1st team. So this isn't Vermeil we're talking about. Guys seem to get placed based on what they do, rather than automatically seated behind veterans just because they're rookies.

I do have some bias. I like that he's a hard worker, and he does have better mechanics to a degree, but I also think he has extremely limited upside. I think he has physical limitations, and I think he has cognitive limitations. And I have never seen "it" in him, that being the indecipherable greatness quotient everybody wants in a quarterback. I think he's destined at best to be a game manager at the NFL level, and not the kind of quarterback I'd want to put the future of a franchise in the hands of. He's the kind of quarterback I'd want backing up a starting quarterback. Which is exactly the same thing I said about Cassel in 2009. Because that's how I see him: another Cassel-type quarterback.

Which is, coincidentally, why, heading into the draft, I thought that he was exactly the kind of quarterback that they would take. Matt Cassel with (much) more college experience and better mechanics. Greg McElroy with a much better arm.

So I'm not likely to get all that excited about him until he earns the 2nd team role in practice (which could happen this week, for all we now...) and then he shows some things on the field.

At this point, I think he's a rookie NFL quarterback short several months of an offseason, so I doubt seriously he's anywhere close to ready to go. He might have been with 3 months of OTAs, but unfortunately for him he didn't get them.

All that said, I'm perfectly fine with giving him every opportunity to prove himself. Because I understand the reality that me thinking a player is a certain thing doesn't mean that he actually is that certain thing. He actually could be a lot more than I think he is, and I will freely admit that. Which is why I would agree that every player deserves a chance. That's why I didn't write McCluster off last year, despite the fact that I didn't like, much less understand the pick. But Stanzi's got to earn it. You don't just say "go play with the 2s and see what you can do". Practice well during the week, show them something, make them put you in against the Rams on Friday. If he does that, I'm all for seeing what he can do. And I hope he blows the doors off, and all of a sudden we're talking about a wacky contrived quarterback controversy, he's the next Tom Brady, and suddenly we're set for the next decade.

But he's got to actually do something first, and I'm not even talking about in a preseason game where I can see it and become a true believer.

The bolded part is a far cry from "Stanzi doesn't look anywhere close to ready to backup".

I can understand that we are not seeing practice and what teh coaching staff might be seeing from Stanzi and Palko.

I will, however, point out the fact that Larry Johnson had to wear out his welcome off the field in KC before Charles got his shot.

In the end, I'm not overly concerned about how things play out.

If Stanzi is an NFL QB, or not, he'll eventually prove it.

keg in kc
08-21-2011, 02:41 PM
The bolded part is a far cry from "Stanzi doesn't look anywhere close to ready to backup"I can understand the confusion there. I meant "look" in the vaguer "appear to be" sense of the word, not the literal "I watched him play and he sucked" sense. He's had no protection either week, so it's kind of hard to judge anything with the eyeballs. I just tend to think if the coaches believed he was ready, he'd be playing with the second team.

Blick
08-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Just like it was too early to get riled up about Haley's approach after one game, it might have been too early to write off Palko after one game.

Palko was impressive. He doesn't have Stanzi's arm strength, but he threw the ball with better touch.

Stanzi almost looked Croyle-ish trying to laser everything, even short throws.

I was also disappointed with Stanzi under pressure. On one of the sacks, he hesitated for a split second, and then he had to eat the ball, and almost went into a crouch that reminded me of Huard.

At least when Palko got the jailbreak pressure, he got his arm going forward and that fumble was ruled an incomplete pass.

I like Stanzi. I don't really want to like Palko, but unfortunately he has outplayed Stanzi so far.

Reerun_KC
08-21-2011, 04:14 PM
I doubt pioli will bring anyone in to threaten the starting qb role. Cassel is the guy and if he has an injury (or an apendectemy) the chiefs are gonna lose

Kinda late in the preseason to bring in a new guy to learn the entire playbook

Name me one GM that brings in his guy and pays him as his guy then turns right around and brings another guy in to start a controversy?

This is the stupidest arguement of all time on CP...

NJChiefsFan
08-21-2011, 04:27 PM

Are you talking about the play where Cassel just threw it over Bowe out of bounds on the left side of the field?

I have a hard time believing Palko can produce anything just based off of his arm strength and how long it takes him to throw it. Two bad things to have at once. He did make 2 athletic plays....staying on his feet to give Battle the ball when he got tripped, and when he backed away from pressure and got the ball 20 yards down the field to Tucker. For a back-footed pass it was decent.

I do like what I have seen from Stanzi, but like MilkMan pointed out, hard to see anything with the pressure Stanzi is getting on top of not seeing him in practice.

KCBOSS1
08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
This is as good of a time as any to chime in and say that we should just trade all three guys that we have plus a number one for Chase Daniels or Ryan Mallet. Both guys we ignorantly passed up on while many of us were screaming on the side. So glad we got the bone head broken hand diva.

Brock
08-21-2011, 05:41 PM
This is as good of a time as any to chime in and say that we should just trade all three guys that we have plus a number one for Chase Daniels or Ryan Mallet. Both guys we ignorantly passed up on while many of us were screaming on the side. So glad we got the bone head broken hand diva.

http://filmgenius.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/no-country-for-old-men_tommy-lee-jones_josh-brolin_javier-bardem_91.jpg?w=300&h=199

KCBOSS1
08-21-2011, 05:55 PM
http://filmgenius.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/no-country-for-old-men_tommy-lee-jones_josh-brolin_javier-bardem_91.jpg?w=300&h=199

Great pic. I know it was random, but hey, I wasn't in the mood to read all fo the comments or any of them actually.

booger
08-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Trent Green made a good point the other night on the broadcast. That he would like to see them put Palko on the move on some bootlegs and such basically because that played to his strengths. I agree and even thought about adding some of that to the offense for Cassel.

Normally i wouldn't think it would happen but wit Zorn coming in and having mostly a west coast O background it is possible.

Just a thought i had when Green brought that up. As far as Palko looking better, i still got to see more of that to make me even somewhat confident that he is the backup. Early in camp Haley was asked about palko and he mentioned something about him deciding if he wants to be a qb or just a guy who goes out with the 2nd and 3rd stringers and runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. I'm paraphrasing that some but that's the just of it.

Problem now is they need to make up their minds w/ 2PS games left. Whoever is going to be the #2 is going to need plenty of time and like has been said some time with the starters.

I wouldn't be suprised to see them just keep 2 and go with Stanzi. Maybe just until they figure out a better option for a backup and just for the first few games or so. Plus with Palko you really don't have to worry about someone picking him up. He will probably be available off the street if needed and just a phone call away.

TEX
08-21-2011, 10:47 PM

You can say it as many times as you want but that won't make it right. There is a much better chance that Stanzi would be better prepared if he had the benefit of an organized NFL off season program. Just no way I can even begin to agree with your take based on his college performance with a similar offense. The NFL is the NFL for a reason. The game is faster and the players are better.

If he "shits the bed" because he was thrown into a situation that he was not ready for and had no real chance to get prepared for, something very well could be lost - an NFL career.

BossChief
08-21-2011, 10:52 PM
You can say it as many times as you want but that won't make it right. There is a much better chance that Stanzi would be better prepared if he had the benefit of an organized NFL off season program. Just no way I can even begin to agree with your take based on his college performance with a similar offense. The NFL is the NFL for a reason. The game is faster and the players are better.

If he "shits the bed" because he was thrown into a situation that he was not ready for and had no real chance to get prepared for, something very well could be lost - an NFL career.

If a quarterback isn't mentally strong enough to take a beating and make his game better because of it, he doesn't have a chance at succeeding at quarterback in the NFL.

FFS, the best quarterbacks go to the worst teams in the NFL and most of the ones who succeed, did so after getting thrown into the fire with that bad team right away.

They have to be mentally strong to overcome that.

Stanzi coming in any point this season isnt something anybody here wants, I'm just saying that it is foolish to think that if it did happen, it could "destroy him"

Exoter175
08-22-2011, 09:50 AM
If a quarterback isn't mentally strong enough to take a beating and make his game better because of it, he doesn't have a chance at succeeding at quarterback in the NFL.

FFS, the best quarterbacks go to the worst teams in the NFL and most of the ones who succeed, did so after getting thrown into the fire with that bad team right away.

They have to be mentally strong to overcome that.

Stanzi coming in any point this season isnt something anybody here wants, I'm just saying that it is foolish to think that if it did happen, it could "destroy him"

I think it is foolish to underestimate a guy because he was a 5th round pick, or because he is a rookie.

With Zorn coaching Stanzi, in an eerily familiar offense, I don't think it'll take him long to get acclimated to our system. I just hope our offensive line can protect Cassel long enough to keep us from having to start Stanzi prior to week 8 or week 9, which I feel is going to be about how long it takes him to be "ready" to come in if shit hits the fan.

The guy already hits the film rooms harder than anyone else, its all he talks about. Couple that with him being a 3 year starter at Iowa, winning 3 bowl games against pretty tough odds, including that Injury-Bounce Back in the Orange Bowl in the '09 season, and I honestly don't think there is much of a reason to doubt the guy being able to back Cassel up once he is comfortable with our system.

MahiMike
08-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Palko surprised me. Played pretty well. Even the little flip was a good play, IMO. Receiver shoulda had it. I have no problem with waiting on Stanzi. It's obvious, they don't have time to give both reps. Better to pick 1 now and give him more reps.

Pitt Gorilla
08-22-2011, 10:40 AM
I'll take Daniel.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gj5STDmitQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Von Dumbass
08-22-2011, 01:23 PM
• Expect the Chiefs to study the free-agent market after rosters are trimmed to 53 and look for a veteran backup quarterback. Matt Cassel is safe as the starter and the team likes the development of rookie fifth-rounder Ricky Stanzi. But they don't want Stanzi to be the No. 2 guy when the year begins. According to sources, vet Tyler Palko has been downright awful in camp and it would be a major shock if he is on the Week One roster.http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/08/21/jaguars-plan-to-reduce-kampmans-snaps

Coogs
08-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Are you talking about the play where Cassel just threw it over Bowe out of bounds on the left side of the field?

Yes

Frankie
08-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Stanzi tossed 3 very catchable ( at least they looked that way on the TV screen) passes in a row to Williams who dropped them.

Frankie
08-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Palko is lame. We need to pick up whoever is the best QB cut on the final cutdown, keep Stanzi as #3 guy, and hopefully next year he can be #2 guy as we draft another QB in the 4th or 5th round.

It would be nice if we could find a guy, develop him, and have him give Cassel a run for the starter.

How is Kafka doing this preseason? Is there an Eagles watcher among us?

Frankie
08-22-2011, 03:35 PM
are we sure palko i throwing with the correct hand?

He's Diego Montoya. He's not left handed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-26-2011, 01:03 PM

:clap:

whoman69
08-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Stanzi will probably not get his chance until game 4 and its hard to say who will be in there with him. The Tampa game was a complete loss. I didn't get to see the Baltimore game.