PDA

View Full Version : Computers OK, I've reached the end for Itunes

Baby Lee
08-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Is there a program for automatically downloading new podcasts that I've subscribed to in the Itunes store, preferrably as easily as hitting refresh in Itunes.

Every time I go into itunes, no matter how mundane the task [say a low bitrate audio only 'cast] the whole PC goes into overdrive, core usages spike, ram fills up and cooling fans rev up like a Cessna.

I've reduced itunes usage to just getting the downloads, then playing the content in WMP.

GordonGekko
08-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Is there a program for automatically downloading new podcasts that I've subscribed to in the Itunes store, preferrably as easily as hitting refresh in Itunes.

Every time I go into itunes, no matter how mundane the task [say a low bitrate audio only 'cast] the whole PC goes into overdrive, core usages spike, ram fills up and cooling fans rev up like a Cessna.

I've reduced itunes usage to just getting the downloads, then playing the content in WMP.

Lol, itunes suck, I use CopyTransControlCenter to import mp3's onto my ipod touch. I hate how Apple products make you use itunes, its bloatware that takes too long and is simply inefficient. Don't have a clue how to help you with your podcast problem though, unless the program I mentioned has a feature to help you out.

Fruit Ninja
08-21-2011, 02:56 PM
itunes is pretty fast n easy for me, the only thign i hate, is there are fucking updates every 3 days. lol

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Hahaha...I've been saying this about iTunes for years.

Winamp for the....win...........amp!

Baby Lee
08-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Hahaha...I've been saying this about iTunes for years.

Winamp for the....win...........amp!

I use Media Monkey for Music and Audiobooks.

I have an older version of Winamp from before podcasts were all over the place. Does the newer Winamp do podcast subs, and if so how well?

rocknrolla
08-21-2011, 03:46 PM
I quit using itunes last year. It's a load of bloated crap anymore.

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I use Media Monkey for Music and Audiobooks.

I have an older version of Winamp from before podcasts were all over the place. Does the newer Winamp do podcast subs, and if so how well?

No idea, I just use it for my vast library of mp3s.

Backwards Masking
08-21-2011, 04:30 PM
itunes is pretty fast n easy for me, the only thign i hate, is there are ****ing updates every 3 days. lol

it ain't fast n easy when you have to update every 3 days. that in and of itself ruined itunes for me long ago. never mind all the other reasons it sucks.

Johnny Vegas
08-21-2011, 11:11 PM
I love itunes.

Guru
08-21-2011, 11:21 PM
I friggin hate itunes. the only reason I even use it is to create a backup of my ipod touch once a month.

Huffmeister
08-22-2011, 12:52 AM
I dumped iTunes for MediaMonkey several months ago when I switched from an iPhone to an Android phone. Great program. Almost exactly like iTunes but without the bloat.

Wish I could help you wrt auto downloading podcasts, but I listen to all my podcasts using an app on my phone (which lets me know when new ones are available).

Taco John
08-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Try Stitcher. It's not a podcast manager, per se, but rather a podcast streamer. Your podcast has to be streaming through the service, though.

Otter
08-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Set aside 15 minutes on a Sunday and download each podcast to a thumbdrive or however you listen directly from the site. You're taking a government approach under the guise of making things easier and instead making them more complicated.

Was that cross-thread humor, sorry not sure. :D

Seriously, you're saving yourself maybe 10 minutes but involving a whole lot more problems.

L.A. Chieffan
08-22-2011, 09:13 AM
itunes is cool if you got like and hour an a half to kill

Pitt Gorilla
08-22-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm clearly doing it wrong, as iTunes doesn't cause any issues for my lappy.

Johnny Vegas
08-22-2011, 03:00 PM
itunes is cool if you got like and hour an a half to kill

what is this bullshit?

vailpass
08-22-2011, 04:36 PM
fan boy white knight in 3..2..1..

Priest31kc
08-22-2011, 07:37 PM
MediaMonkey FTW.

Winamp is awesome too though.

I hate ITunes.

rocknrolla
10-13-2011, 02:52 AM
I dumped iTunes for MediaMonkey several months ago when I switched from an iPhone to an Android phone. Great program. Almost exactly like iTunes but without the bloat.

Wish I could help you wrt auto downloading podcasts, but I listen to all my podcasts using an app on my phone (which lets me know when new ones are available).

Does media monkey read itunes purchased music?

Silock
10-13-2011, 03:48 AM
So, what's wrong with iTunes? It works exactly on my PC like it works on my Mac. I don't understand the hate.

patteeu
10-13-2011, 07:49 AM
So, what's wrong with iTunes? It works exactly on my PC like it works on my Mac. I don't understand the hate.

Do you have a very large music library? With a library well over 100 gigs, I noticed significantly more sluggishness (particularly when I was adding new music or editing the tags on existing music) when I used iTunes for PC compared to iTunes for Mac.

Silock
10-13-2011, 08:17 AM
My music library is almost 2 terabytes.

DaFace
10-13-2011, 08:55 AM

I have no idea what the Mac version is like, but iTunes is WAY slower than other media players I've used on the PC. To give you the idea, iTunes setup is around 70 megs on a PC. WinAmp is 12. All of that bloat slows things down.

Huffmeister
10-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Does media monkey read itunes purchased music?

I haven't had any issues with albums that I downloaded off of iTunes, but I always converted my purchases to MP3 via iTunes. Apple's proprietary format always bugged me.

loochy
10-13-2011, 09:32 AM
You've got to love the unnecessary and mandatory installations of quicktime and bonjour!

Has anyone tried this:

Install iTunes without extra bloat (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28727/how-to-install-itunes-without-extra-bloat/)

Silock
10-13-2011, 09:56 AM
I have no idea what the Mac version is like, but iTunes is WAY slower than other media players I've used on the PC. To give you the idea, iTunes setup is around 70 megs on a PC. WinAmp is 12. All of that bloat slows things down.

I guess my computer is fast enough that I don't really notice a difference. Or slow enough. Either or.

rocknrolla
10-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Some music I purchase from other sites don't sync.

Guru
10-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Itunes is the slowest loading program on every one of my computers. IT's almost as if they are punishing you for owning a PC by making it take so long to even start up.

Urc Burry
10-13-2011, 03:24 PM
My only beef with itunes is an update every other day... I skip them until it starts acting up. Otherwise no problems

Baby Lee
10-13-2011, 04:14 PM
10.5, out yesterday, is a HUGE improvement, resource-wise. Sitting at 2% on one core, listening to Carolla. Wonder if video like Kevin Pollack Chat Show is worse.

Johnny Vegas
10-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I've found switching from PC to Mac that the applications in a Mac use less RAM than the same applications used in a PC. Whats the deal there?

Frosty
04-30-2012, 09:48 AM
In my car, I have a Clarion head unit that lets me play my iPod Classic through a sync cable. I just plug it into the USB input and can control everything from the HU.

I would like a similar thing on my computer, where I can plug the iPod into a USB port and play, pause, FF etc through the app. I don't want it to manage the music, or try to sync or dick with my iPod in any way.

I think I can do something similar in iTunes but I would like something with a smaller footprint.

Anyone know of a program that would work?

Buck
04-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Baby Lee, did you switch to something else?

I refresh in itunes every morning before work, but it's a bummer having to wait like 10+ minutes for everything to work.

I have the same problem that you did, apparently.

Bump
04-30-2012, 11:08 PM
it opens up instantly on my imac

ZootedGranny
04-30-2012, 11:43 PM
I've always used Ziepod (http://www.ziepod.com/).

In terms of subscribing, it's not as simple as Itunes, but every corresponding site has an RSS/XML feed.

beach tribe
05-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Courtney Cox: "Hurry load iTunes"
Baby Lee:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ExuC4mAplkU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beach tribe
05-01-2012, 10:32 AM
In my car, I have a Clarion head unit that lets me play my iPod Classic through a sync cable. I just plug it into the USB input and can control everything from the HU.

I would like a similar thing on my computer, where I can plug the iPod into a USB port and play, pause, FF etc through the app. I don't want it to manage the music, or try to sync or dick with my iPod in any way.

I think I can do something similar in iTunes but I would like something with a smaller footprint.

Anyone know of a program that would work?
Just plug the sound wire you've got plugged into your computer for your speakers...into your iPod.

Frosty
05-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Just plug the sound wire you've got plugged into your computer for your speakers...into your iPod.

That doesn't provide a true line out and doesn't sound all that great. It also doesn't keep it charged like a sync cable will.

I have an adapter that I used to use in my car to provide a true line out (by Belkin, iicr). It works okay but has to be powered, which means I have to use a 12V adapter. It starts to get messy at that point.

Thanks anyway.

beach tribe
05-01-2012, 11:44 AM
That doesn't provide a true line out and doesn't sound all that great. It also doesn't keep it charged like a sync cable will.

I have an adapter that I used to use in my car to provide a true line out (by Belkin, iicr). It works okay but has to be powered, which means I have to use a 12V adapter. It starts to get messy at that point.

Thanks anyway.
The whole point of a "true" line out is to give you line level output at high impedance. If its higher quality than the headphone out due to higher impedance and lower current, then thats a bonus. But if the digital to analog converter's output is good to begin with, it won't really matter in the end . . .

Basically, if you are using one green wire to run your audio you probably wouldn't win the Pepsi challenge if asked to distinguish between an iPod and your PC running iTunes.
Mine's Setup for 7.1 running the green, yellow, and black wires.
I will occasionally just pull the green wire, plug in my iPhone, and pull the switch on the sub to 2.1.
Does it sound like 7.1, no. But it still sounds pretty good, and sound quality is very important to me.

Backwards Masking
05-03-2012, 09:31 AM
I've found switching from PC to Mac that the applications in a Mac use less RAM than the same applications used in a PC. Whats the deal there?

That's just Apple being Apple and punishing you in any small way they can (even stupid shit like Mac uses a little less RAM for the same apps) for using other companies products so eventually all you'll use is theirs and they can makes lots more $$$.