PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Endgame in Libya?

Pages : [1] 2

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Holy shit.

Two of Qaddafi's sons reported to be captured, including Saif Al-Islam, the "rivers of blood" guy. Al Jazeera confirming.

Opposition is sweeping through Tripoli right now. Qaddafi seemingly cornered.

http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2011/8/21/libya-syria-and-beyond-liveblog-endgame-in-tripoli.html

The above link is a running blog of progress by the opposition.

Here's Libya's state TV as of now:

http://www.enduringamerica.com/storage/libya%20tv.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1313960267948

Boom, folks. The Arab Spring seems to be on the verge of another victory.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Al Jazeera Arabic is reporting that Qaddafi's bodyguards have surrendered.
Go Chiefs.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:15 PM
1917 GMT: Alex Crawford of Sky News, with opposition fighters, says she is 10 kilometres from the centre of Tripoli: "Gaddafi forces put these huge boulders to block the road, it seems. We are driving right past them."

Crawford says, "There is no support for Colonel Qaddafim at least in the places we're driving through right now. No supporters."

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-21-2011, 04:15 PM
France actually didn't surrender this time?

Count Alex's Wins
08-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Now Al Qaeda takes over.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-21-2011, 04:23 PM
So how long until we hammer him with Kinetic Actions of Pure Love?

CoMoChief
08-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Now Al Qaeda takes over.

You mean, Al-CIAeda?

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Qaddafi spokesperson is calling for a ceasefire.

Love it.

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Warmongering under Bush = Bad

Warmongering under Obama = Awesome

Got it

KILLER_CLOWN
08-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Got it

Amazing isn't it? Most of the anti-war democrats now post to show how butch they are.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:40 PM

There's an airtight argument if there's ever been one.

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-21-2011, 04:43 PM
There's an airtight argument if there's ever been one.

Observation =/= Argument

Go Chiefs

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Observation =/= Coherence

FYP

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:51 PM
2148 GMT: Qaddafi, on State TV, is calling for all cities and tribes to come to Tripoli in order to avoid becoming slaves.

Discuss Thrower
08-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Awesome, yet another country falls victim to Islamic extremist nutcases.

Tell me again how this is positive for USA, if not all of modern civilization?

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:54 PM

It doesn't need to be a positive for the USA. It needs to be a positive for the Libyan people.

Qaddafi is one of the most atrocious dictators on earth.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:56 PM
2151 GMT: Qaddafi is now claiming that "they" want to destroy Tripoli, and has asked for the Immams of the mosques to lead the people, with their weapons, against the opposition that is working for the imperialists.

The audio keeps cutting out.

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-21-2011, 04:56 PM
FYP

:spock:

What exactly in that was incoherent again? Seemed pretty clear to everybody who is not you...

Chocolate Hog
08-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Libya becomes Somalia.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:58 PM
:spock:

What exactly in that was incoherent again? Seemed pretty clear to everybody who is not you...

What point, exactly, have you been attempting to make?

I'm going to give you a fair shot to explain yourself, lest there be any misunderstanding.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Libya becomes Somalia.

Meh. Libya's got some semblence of infrastructure and some AU support. Somalia's just been cast to the dogs.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Opposition's starting to take Tripoli, sports fans.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FWX1LicbfO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-21-2011, 05:03 PM
What point, exactly, have you been attempting to make?

I'm going to give you a fair shot to explain yourself, lest there be any misunderstanding.

Sorry, I'm a shitty English to English translator

Maybe somebody else here can help

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Sorry, I'm a shitty English to English translator

Maybe somebody else here can help

That's about what I expected.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Qaddafi sounds desperate:

"Some armed gangs hiding in the streets, especially in Tajura...

"They have come, they have occupied Tripoli. How can you allow the colonialists to occupy Tripoli again, this is unacceptable!

"Get out of your homes, protect Tripoli now! This is a life or death matter!

"Tripoli has become like Baghdad, it is now being destroyed, it must end now, it must not happen, go out and fight them."

Easy 6
08-21-2011, 05:13 PM
The rebels have made a huge number of big gains in short order lately, the US must really be bringing the help.

Hopefully that results in a nominally more pro-west Libya, but i'm not holding my breath.

The enemy of my enemy.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:15 PM
2211 GMT: Sky News is reporting that there is now a major opposition convoy within 1 kilometer from Green Square.

This is the most significant news, in our opinion, that we have received tonight. Green Square is in the center of Tripoli, and if a major military convoy has arrived, then Tripoli really has been overrun by opposition fighters.

Brock
08-21-2011, 05:15 PM
The rebels have made a huge number of big gains in short order lately, the US must really be bringing the help.

Hopefully that results in a nominally more pro-west Libya, but i'm not holding my breath.

The enemy of my enemy.

No way. They'll be burning Obama in effigy next week.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:21 PM
2216 GMT: Two more very short audio message from Qaddafi. He is repeating himself now, calling on specific tribes to join him, and specific towns to send fighters to Tripoli. He is repeating that the Libyan people will be turned into slaves, and British imperialism will be renewed.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:23 PM
RT @Tripoli_Latest: Fughi compound surrounded in Ben ashour near Aldhul street, Fierce resistence from within #Tripoli #MermaidDawn

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:24 PM
2224 GMT: NATO has released a statement on the situation in Tripoli:

"The Qadhafi regime is clearly crumbling. The sooner Qadhafi realises that he cannot win the battle against his own people, the better -- so that the Libyan people can be spared further bloodshed and suffering.

The Libyan people have suffered tremendously under Qaddafi’s rule for over four decades. Now they have a chance for a new beginning. Now is the time for all threats against civilians to stop, as the United Nations Security Council demanded. Now is the time to create a new Libya – a state based on freedom, not fear; democracy, not dictatorship; the will of the many, not the whims of a few.

That transition must come peacefully. It must come now. And it must be led and defined by the Libyan people.

NATO is ready to work with the Libyan people and with the Transitional National Council, which holds a great responsibility. They must make sure that the transition is smooth and inclusive, that the country stays united, and that the future is founded on reconciliation and respect for human rights.

Qadhafi's remaining allies and forces also have a great responsibility. It is time to end their careers of violence. The world is watching them. This is their opportunity to side with the Libyan people and choose the right side of history.

We will continue to monitor military units and key facilities, as we have since March, and when we see any threatening moves towards the Libyan people, we will act in accordance with our UN mandate.

Our goal throughout this conflict has been to protect the people of Libya, and that is what we are doing.

Because the future of Libya belongs to the Libyan people. And it is for the international community to assist them, with the United Nations and the Contact Group playing a leading role. NATO wants the Libyan people to be able to decide their future in freedom and in peace. Today, they can start building that future."

Donger
08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Qaddafi is one of the most atrocious dictators on earth.

So was Saddam, but that was under Bush.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:29 PM

You lost me.

Am I advocating a full scale invasion of Libya to overthrow a dictator who is a menial threat to American lives?

Or am I supporting the Arab Spring with as little American involvement as possible?

Clear that up for me.

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-21-2011, 05:30 PM
NO WAR FOR OIL

Hipocricy is a cruel mistress

RedNeckRaider
08-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Why make a fair comparison? I mean really did Bush win a Nobel peace prize huh...huh?

Donger
08-21-2011, 05:33 PM
You lost me.

Am I advocating a full scale invasion of Libya to overthrow a dictator who is a menial threat to American lives?

Or am I supporting the Arab Spring with as little American involvement as possible?

Clear that up for me.

You are supporting our assisting (with bullets, guns, and stuff) the overthrow of a dictator, because he's a bad one.

Would you have supported the introduction of our ground forces, if that had been required to overthrow Ghaddafi?

Donger
08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
NO WAR FOR OIL

Hipocricy is a cruel mistress

Direckshun only cares about the Libyan people. Stop it.

Chocolate Hog
08-21-2011, 05:37 PM
You lost me.

Clear that up for me.

Right.

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Turn Isreal loose and this shit would be over yesterday

RedNeckRaider
08-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Turn Isreal loose and this shit would be over yesterday

and Israel too!

Donger
08-21-2011, 05:45 PM
It doesn't need to be a positive for the USA. It needs to be a positive for the Libyan people.

And what is that positive for the Libyan people is a regime that is decidedly hostile to us?

HonestChieffan
08-21-2011, 07:15 PM

Was it ever supposed to be positive for the USA?....I cannot recall any benefit to the US ever being stated. If you are an islamist radical, its awesome however.

Dave Lane
08-21-2011, 10:20 PM

I'm sorry what time do we invade Libya? I want to set my DVR to record it.

Had the Iraqis risen up and overthrew Saddam on their own I would have been cheering.

Dave Lane
08-21-2011, 10:49 PM
And what is that positive for the Libyan people is a regime that is decidedly hostile to us?

They are hostile to us why? We just helped them get free of a dictator and a TERRORIST that killed American citizens. I'd think there should be a lot of goodwill from the Libyan people. How long that lasts depends on many things but I'd like to think they will want to work with us as opposed to working against us.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-21-2011, 10:52 PM
They haven't secured anything they're just shooting - Mahdi Nazemroaya

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IaPdYXDJ9lI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/obamaqaddafi.jpg

KILLER_CLOWN
08-21-2011, 11:08 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MezHfCxyEzs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MezHfCxyEzs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Frankie
08-21-2011, 11:22 PM

Got it

:facepalm:

orange
08-22-2011, 12:11 AM
RT TV spew direct from Putin

Amusing. You doubt everything our government says or does, but you take the ****ing KGB at their word? LMAO

RT : Proud To Be Different
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1024336,00.jpg

Make that Romantic Poetry direct from Putin

alnorth
08-22-2011, 12:58 AM
I'm fairly happy about this situation.

I know that the standard Ron Paul dogma mandates that I should be annoyed, but I am not.

If: 1) a foreign government side of a problem has any strategic economic importance to us (so if its a country no one cares about, we may fail at this point since it may be some irrelevant some south American country) and if 2) it takes very little effort, very little money, very few or no lives on our part to help, and if 3) stability leads to a very solid economic benefit to us, then I'm OK with intervention,. for our own selfish benefit.

Taco John
08-22-2011, 01:05 AM
The fighting has subsided. Now the real slaughter begins. The tribal wars that breaks out is going to make this recent struggle look like the previews before the latest SAW movie.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 01:31 AM
Amusing. You doubt everything our government says or does, but you take the ****ing KGB at their word? LMAO

RT : Proud To Be Different
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1024336,00.jpg

You haven't a clue, I posted this because you won't see this coverage from CNN and I know the Obama administration does anything but tell the truth. You're stuck in derpland my boy.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 01:46 AM
You are supporting our assisting (with bullets, guns, and stuff) the overthrow of a dictator, because he's a bad one.

Would you have supported the introduction of our ground forces, if that had been required to overthrow Ghaddafi?

False equivocation.

I would not have supported intervention if it had required a full scale invasion, or unilateralism.

I don't actually support American involvement here at all -- I feel that the American involvement has been disproportionate to the rest of NATO, and that our involvement is primarily over oil.

But if a brutal, terrorist dictator is about to get overthrown, I'm not going to pretend I'm unhappy.

Ugly Duck
08-22-2011, 01:47 AM

Saddam had weapons of mass destruction & the US was under threat of attack from Iraq. Thats why we had to invade & occupy & lose thousands of American lives & spend trillions that went onto the national debt that our children will pay for. Oh wait... the Bush admin changed the reason to Saddam was a dictator that kills his own people. That reason then became reason enough & is almost uniformly defended by righties.

Like Saddam was, Khadadfy is also a dictator that kills his own people. But because Obama is in charge now, righties now reject the very excuse they use for Iraq & decry the US lending some air support to Libyans overthrowing their own dictator. No Americans killed. No trillions spent. No future bankruptcy to our children. But overthrowing the murderous dictator of Libya with little cost is suddenly bad now cuz a Dem is Commander in Chief. Overthrowing the murderous dictator of Iraq at enormous cost in lives & national debt is the much preferred way to go cuz a Republi was in charge. Thats "principle" for you....

orange
08-22-2011, 01:47 AM
I posted this because you won't see this coverage from CNN

If they were around then, you wouldn't have gotten Tokyo Rose from CNN, either.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 01:52 AM

The Libyan government's oil contracts and involvement in the UN aside, they've been hostile to us for quite some time.

The positive in this is moving on from Qaddafi, plain and simple.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 01:54 AM
The fighting has subsided. Now the real slaughter begins. The tribal wars that breaks out is going to make this recent struggle look like the previews before the latest SAW movie.

That is, I think, everyone's fear.

The good news is that the opposition does have an infrastructure they can maintain.

Ugly Duck
08-22-2011, 02:07 AM
Remember when Republis were castigating Obama for being "too late & too weak" in his Libya response? A strong leader would have gone in sooner with decisive force. Now they've done a complete about-face on their original criticism. Once we provided effective air cover for the Libyan people, they changed their criticism 180 degrees & now say Obama has overreached in our military involvement. Strategy? Just take the opposite position of whatever Obama does - even if you have to contradict directly what your previous position was. Thats the Republi version of "change you can count on."

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 02:24 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_UyQM-7RX6I?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_UyQM-7RX6I?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 02:27 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUTYL8HfCGo?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUTYL8HfCGo?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 02:30 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UErR7i2onW0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UErR7i2onW0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 03:16 AM

Got it

:clap:

Yeah, and the opposition get to be called rebels instead of "insurgents."

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 03:45 AM

0830 GMT: The BBC's Jon Williams sends this message, "Significant that NTC [insurgent] forces not moving from Zlitan --- roadblock stopping move into Tripoli from east. Not confident what lies beyond."

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 04:48 AM
0830 GMT: The BBC's Jon Williams sends this message, "Significant that NTC [insurgent] forces not moving from Zlitan --- roadblock stopping move into Tripoli from east. Not confident what lies beyond."

I don't watch the BBC. I was referring to American news media. I've seen CNN and Fox to date and the word I've seen is "rebels."

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 04:59 AM
I don't watch the BBC. I was referring to American news media. I've seen CNN and Fox to date and the word I've seen is "rebels."

Goalposts. You moved them.

Donger
08-22-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm sorry what time do we invade Libya? I want to set my DVR to record it.

Had the Iraqis risen up and overthrew Saddam on their own I would have been cheering.

We've been invading them from the air (and we almost certainly have boots on ground, too) since, what, March?

The Iraqis/Kurds DID rise up and tried to overthrow Saddam in 1991. We didn't help them.

Donger
08-22-2011, 07:55 AM
They are hostile to us why? We just helped them get free of a dictator and a TERRORIST that killed American citizens. I'd think there should be a lot of goodwill from the Libyan people. How long that lasts depends on many things but I'd like to think they will want to work with us as opposed to working against us.

Direckshun seems more concerned/happy about this being a positive for the Libyans, compared to how it might turn out for us. I'm pointing out that we don't know either at this point.

Donger
08-22-2011, 07:56 AM
False equivocation.

I would not have supported intervention if it had required a full scale invasion, or unilateralism.

I don't actually support American involvement here at all -- I feel that the American involvement has been disproportionate to the rest of NATO, and that our involvement is primarily over oil.

But if a brutal, terrorist dictator is about to get overthrown, I'm not going to pretend I'm unhappy.

Cool. So, you were happy when Saddam was overthrown, right?

Donger
08-22-2011, 07:59 AM

Sorry, but you don't know that. Not unless you can see the future. This may well end up being a positive for the Libyans, us and the rest of the world. but I wouldn't be so quick to make such a declaration.

mlyonsd
08-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Got it

Pretty much the best post of the thread. 2011 will be known as the year nation building became cool.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 08:14 AM

How many American boots are on the ground in Libya making this happen? How many years and dollars will we spend rebuilding Libya?

Donger
08-22-2011, 08:16 AM
How many American boots are on the ground in Libya making this happen? How many years and dollars will we spend rebuilding Libya?

"It doesn't need to be a positive for the USA."

Dave Lane
08-22-2011, 08:17 AM
We've been invading them from the air (and we almost certainly have boots on ground, too) since, what, March?

The Iraqis/Kurds DID rise up and tried to overthrow Saddam in 1991. We didn't help them.

Not even close to the same thing. I know you are smarter than that. If we had landed 200,000 men in Libya I'd have been against it as I was Iraq. As it stands, this is 90% libyans 8% French, 1% US and Im good with that.

And we did supply a no fly zone for the Kurds as well long before we invaded.

Dave Lane
08-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Pretty much the best post of the thread. 2011 will be known as the year nation building became cool.

Actually I think I'd nominate it for most shortsighted post of 2011

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 08:20 AM
The Libyan government's oil contracts and involvement in the UN aside, they've been hostile to us for quite some time.

In his defense (hard to believe I'm doing that), Khadafy (however you want to spell it) has been more moderate over the last, whatever, 5 or 10 years. Of course, he had nowhere to go but more moderate, since he was alot more like Iran in terms of being extremely hostile to the West for a very long time.

As others here have said, however, I'll shed no tears over his overthrow. The concern, of course, is that Libya falls prey to years of infighting by the tribal factions, etc., all of which could dramatically affect the oil production which will factor into the world economy in a significant way.

Somalia fell apart and has been allowed to languish for 20 or so years because it had nothing anybody wanted, and the local warlords made it too hard to help them. Libya definitely does have something the rest of the world wants, and I have no doubt the entire world will be watching, and intervening if necessary, to get what it wants.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 08:21 AM
:clap:

What war(s) has Obama started?

mlyonsd
08-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Actually I think I'd nominate it for most shortsighted post of 2011Yes I'm sure you would.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 08:24 AM

I was happy when he was overthrown, happy when he was caught, and happier still when he was hanged by the neck until dead.

I would be equally happy if you replaced Saddam with the ruling family of North Korea and the theocratic leaders of Iran and Aha-can'tspellhisname.

Doesn't mean we should commit a trillion dollars and tens of thousands of troops to doing it though.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 08:27 AM
"It doesn't need to be a positive for the USA."

We should work to ensure that it will be a positive for the USA. The fear is that the country falls into pieces as a result of factionalism/tribal wars.

Americans can little understand or relate to the simple fact that huge parts of the world have never known democracy and that the transition to a peaceful and stable democracy may be impossible.

I hope it goes smoothly, but I doubt it will.

Donger
08-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Not even close to the same thing. I know you are smarter than that. If we had landed 200,000 men in Libya I'd have been against it as I was Iraq. As it stands, this is 90% libyans 8% French, 1% US and Im good with that.

And we did supply a no fly zone for the Kurds as well long before we invaded.

I'm talking about 1991. Bush called for the Iraqis/Kurds to rise up after we kicked him out of Kuwait. They did and we didn't support them. The no-fly zones were created AFTER that.

And, yes, obviously the scale of our involvement is much less in Libya. But that doesn't change the overall concept: going in to get a brutal dictator = good.

As long as Obama is doing it.

However, in deference to Direckshum, she doesn't support our involvement in Libya either. But she's doing a darn good job of cheerleading it.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 08:35 AM
And, yes, obviously the scale of our involvement is much less in Libya. But that doesn't change the overall concept: going in to get a brutal dictator = good.

As long as Obama is doing it.

Que?

If you're suggesting that the "left" (however you want to describe it) is hypocritical in supporting overthrowing dictators when Obama does it but not when Bush does it, I think you're being fairly ridiculous.

The questions -- in ANY policy decision -- are the costs in treasure and blood to achieve a perceived benefit. Risk/benefit analysis.

The left struggled with the risk/benefit analysis in Iraq, especially after no WMDs were found and it was believed by many (wrongly in my opinion) that the Bush Administration purposely lied to the American people regarding WMDs in order to generate support for the invasion and overthrow of Saddam's brutal regime.

The expenditure of blood and treasure in Libya has been exceedingly small by comparison, with fairly minimal risks. The potential benefits are also somewhat smaller since, presumably, we will have less control over whatever new regime will be formed there. But in supporting the rebels we will, hopefully, make them somewhat more friendly to the West.

To suggest that Iraq and Libya are similar is pretty silly.

Donger
08-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Americans can little understand or relate to the simple fact that huge parts of the world have never known democracy and that the transition to a peaceful and stable democracy may be impossible.

That's the key point. It was the key point in Iraq. It is the key point in Egypt. And it will be in Libya.

But why let historical facts get in the way of a nice world/group hug while putting metaphorical flowers in the barrels?

Dave Lane
08-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Probably short sighted on bush's front to not at least assist. Gadoofy has been a major pain in the ass in years past, a terrorist that killed Americans, directly supported terror against American interests and has destabilized Libya for years by playing tribes against tribes within Libya for his own benefit.

When Reagan directly attacked him and his line of death I failed to hear the condemnation from the right for his actions. I have as much problem with this as getting strongmen out of Serbia. If we can drop a couple bombs to help Iran overthrow the mullahs and NK lose it's dear leader, I'm in.

To me this IS protecting and advancing American interests.

Donger
08-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Que?

If you're suggesting that the "left" (however you want to describe it) is hypocritical in supporting overthrowing dictators when Obama does it but not when Bush does it, I think you're being fairly ridiculous.

The questions -- in ANY policy decision -- are the costs in treasure and blood to achieve a perceived benefit. Risk/benefit analysis.

The left struggled with the risk/benefit analysis in Iraq, especially after no WMDs were found and it was believed by many (wrongly in my opinion) that the Bush Administration purposely lied to the American people regarding WMDs in order to generate support for the invasion and overthrow of Saddam's brutal regime.

The expenditure of blood and treasure in Libya has been exceedingly small by comparison, with fairly minimal risks. The potential benefits are also somewhat smaller since, presumably, we will have less control over whatever new regime will be formed there. But in supporting the rebels we will, hopefully, make them somewhat more friendly to the West.

To suggest that Iraq and Libya are similar is pretty silly.

It should be noted that I didn't agree with the decision to go after Hussein the second time, just for the record.

The only comparison that I'm making between Libya and Iraq is that the goal was to remove the dictators. I think we all agree that that was the goal each time. Both involved armed conflict. The difference is the scale of that conflict and our involvement in it.

As long as folks like Direckshun were just as happy with Saddam being kicked out as they will be when Ghaddafi is, I'm good.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 08:43 AM
That's the key point. It was the key point in Iraq. It is the key point in Egypt. And it will be in Libya.

But why let historical facts get in the way of a nice world/group hug while putting metaphorical flowers in the barrels?

Being happy that Khadafy was/is/will-soon-be overthrown doesn't mean that one is blind to the possible problems that may arise as a result.

It was, in my opinion, the single worst failing of BushCo's decision to invade Iraq. It seemingly had no idea that Iraq had absolutely NOTHING holding it together as a country except of Saddam's iron will and iron fist. Not race, not tribe, not religion, nothing. It was, simply, an area drawn on a map by England a little under a hundred years ago and declared to be a separate country.

For BushCo to have failed to realized the problems that would arise from overthrowing Saddam and to have plans in place for handling the transition was absolutely unforgiveable. Ignorant, stupid, mediocre, moronic, the adjectives I could use are endless. Any fool with any understanding of the country at all could have predicted the problems, and yet BushCo acted like it would be an easy transition. Any idiot with a map of the world could figure that Iran, right next door, might get involved in the post-war transition process, but they were seemingly surprised.

Just a stunningly amateur display.

Donger
08-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Being happy that Khadafy was/is/will-soon-be overthrown doesn't mean that one is blind to the possible problems that may arise as a result.

"The positive in this is moving on from Qaddafi, plain and simple."

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 08:50 AM
It should be noted that I didn't agree with the decision to go after Hussein the second time, just for the record.

I realize you're not Patteeu, who thinks everything BushCo ever did was perfect in every aspect.

I didn't know you opposed the decision to go after Hussein the second time, however. Thanks for the clarification.

The only comparison that I'm making between Libya and Iraq is that the goal was to remove the dictators. I think we all agree that that was the goal each time. Both involved armed conflict. The difference is the scale of that conflict and our involvement in it.

As long as folks like Direckshun were just as happy with Saddam being kicked out as they will be when Ghaddafi is, I'm good.

I can't speak for others. For myself, I had mixed feelings about, for example, the removal of Mumbarak in Egypt. While I realize that he was at least a somewhat brutal dictator (not on par with Saddam, but not a nice guy), I tend to be very realpolitick in my thinking. If Mumbarak's regime is replaced with a stable one that is nice to its people but hostile to the West, funds Al Quada and threatens the Suez Canal, then I won't be happy that he was removed, no matter how nice it is to its citizens.

I suppose that makes me a bad liberal, but then, I'm becoming less liberal as I get older.

Chiefshrink
08-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Have we ever got an answer from the WH as to why our troops are in Libya?

Is it to help the "terrorist rebels" and to help "O" have another political "osama moment" that DIDN"T WORK???

Dave Lane
08-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I may be a bad liberal too then. My hope is that when we support freedom and democracy for the middle east that it buys us some cache with the people of the region. They see we want to support freedom and democratic rule and enabling the people of these countries. Its going to be hard for the hardliners / militants to get the population enraged with us when we didn't do the heavy lifting they did.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 09:34 AM
I may be a bad liberal too then. My hope is that when we support freedom and democracy for the middle east that it buys us some cache with the people of the region and they see we want to support freedom and democratic rule and enabling the people of these countries. Its going to be hard for the hardliners / militants to get the population enraged with us when we didn't do the heavy lifting they did.

Agreed all around.

Dave Lane
08-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Have we ever got an answer from the WH as to why our troops are in Libya?

Is it to help the "terrorist rebels" and to help "O" have another political "osama moment" that DIDN"T WORK???

"All real Americans love the sting of battle and may God have mercy on my enemies because I wont".

Its like a black fly in your chardonnay...

Saul Good
08-22-2011, 09:52 AM
I may be a bad liberal too then. My hope is that when we support freedom and democracy for the middle east that it buys us some cache with the people of the region. They see we want to support freedom and democratic rule and enabling the people of these countries. Its going to be hard for the hardliners / militants to get the population enraged with us when we didn't do the heavy lifting they did.

It will never be hard to get anyone in that part of the world enraged against the US.

Donger
08-22-2011, 09:56 AM
I realize you're not Patteeu, who thinks everything BushCo ever did was perfect in every aspect.

I didn't know you opposed the decision to go after Hussein the second time, however. Thanks for the clarification.

No problem.

I can't speak for others. For myself, I had mixed feelings about, for example, the removal of Mumbarak in Egypt. While I realize that he was at least a somewhat brutal dictator (not on par with Saddam, but not a nice guy), I tend to be very realpolitick in my thinking. If Mumbarak's regime is replaced with a stable one that is nice to its people but hostile to the West, funds Al Quada and threatens the Suez Canal, then I won't be happy that he was removed, no matter how nice it is to its citizens.

I suppose that makes me a bad liberal, but then, I'm becoming less liberal as I get older.

I don't disagree with this at all. I just find the wishful thinking and "I don't care how it is for us" to be dangerous.

Brock
08-22-2011, 09:58 AM
It will never be hard to get anyone in that part of the world enraged against the US.

Nope. Burning US flags is like a reflex action with these people.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 10:52 AM
"A Lesson That May Not Be Lost on Others
by Lew Rockwell on August 22, 2011

1) Gaddafi, at the behest of the US, gives up his WMD.

2) The US overthrows him."

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 10:53 AM
We attack countries that can't defend themselves or who are no match for us.
Now it's NATO an organization formed to keep Russians out.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 11:21 AM

The US didn't overthrow him. His own people did, with some assistance from NATO, which includes the US. It's not exactly splitting hairs since if his own people hadn't risen up against him, he'd still be in power today (compare to, for example, Saddam Hussein).

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
We attack countries that can't defend themselves or who are no match for us.

Welcome to human history 101. Usually you don't attack stronger countries unless you want your butt kicked.

Now it's NATO an organization formed to keep Russians out.

NATO has morphed into something else. You may have missed it, but the whole Communist threat thing kind of went the way of the dodo.

Fat Elvis
08-22-2011, 12:01 PM

...or....

1) Libya blows up Pan Am Flight 103; bomber gets put in jail; bomber gets out of jail because of imminent death due to "cancer" and goes back to Libya; Gaddafi says, "Just kidding on the whole imminent death and humanitarian release thing."

2) US overthrows him.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 12:06 PM
So much revisionist history, so little truth. Hopefully one of these days, we can make the world safe for compound interest.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Direckshun seems more concerned/happy about this being a positive for the Libyans, compared to how it might turn out for us. I'm pointing out that we don't know either at this point.

I don't think this really has that much of an impact on us, actually.

Libya is a menial threat to us at best whether they have Qaddafi (sp?) or an Islamic republic that's run by fundamentalists.

Both setups would probably still do business with us, and neither is that great of a threat.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 12:28 PM

Who wasn't?

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Sorry, but you don't know that. Not unless you can see the future. This may well end up being a positive for the Libyans, us and the rest of the world. but I wouldn't be so quick to make such a declaration.

Right, I guess I mean "in my opinion."

Under almost no realm of possibility will I ever weigh a dictatorship as being beneficial to a democracy.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 12:32 PM
However, in deference to Direckshum, she doesn't support our involvement in Libya either. But she's doing a darn good job of cheerleading it.

Swing and a miss.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Message from Liberals to New conservatives, we're all neocons now!

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 12:34 PM
...or....

1) Libya blows up Pan Am Flight 103; bomber gets put in jail; bomber gets out of jail because of imminent death due to "cancer" and goes back to Libya; Gaddafi says, "Just kidding on the whole imminent death and humanitarian release thing."

2) US overthrows him.

That has nothing to do with my post and omits time frames in order to reframe my point. It's a strawman argument to an older issue that was resolved. What is it with strawmen and you lefties? Why is NATO now policing other countries?

FACT: Bush restored diplomatic relations when Gaddafi completed the payout of up to US$2.7 billion to the victims' families by 2003 as well as for other acts of terror.

FACT: "In exchange, President Bush signed Executive Order 13477 restoring the Libyan government's immunity from terrorism-related lawsuits and dismissing all of the pending compensation cases in the United States." - wikipedia

"In 2004, the Libyan Prime Minister, openly told a Western reporter that Gaddafi was "paying for peace" with the West, and that there was never any evidence or guilt for the Lockerbie bombing."- wikipedia Other groups took credit for the act too.

Gaddafi basically made peace with us. Got rid of his WMD. We with our allies, bomb him anyway. It has everything to do with the dollar which he was ditching and which is his right.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Message from Liberals to New conservatives, we're all neocons now!

Bill Kristol calls Obama a Born Again NeoCon: LMAO
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-Gu1olAaM4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jaric
08-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Perhaps we should wait until we see what happens with him gone before we declare this a victory for the Libyan people.

vailpass
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Savages overthrowing savages so a new savage government can be installed. Hooray.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Gaddafi basically made peace with us. Got rid of his WMD. We with our allies, bomb him anyway. It has everything to do with the dollar which he was ditching and which is his right.

:rolleyes:

So his people rose up against him because he was ditching the dollar? Our NATO allies BEGGED us to help them out because he was ditching the dollar?

Do you even think about what you're typing, because it makes no sense whatsoever a frightening percentage of the time.

Donger
08-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Who wasn't?

Just checking.

Donger
08-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Swing and a miss.

Oh, I guess I completely misread you. You seem to be quite pleased with the results so far.

BucEyedPea
Savages overthrowing savages so a new savage government can be installed. Hooray.

This is true. Most revolutions, especially in these Third World countries, wind up with new govts no better or worse than the previous govt. We were lucky with ours, although these days I am not so sure of anymore. France wasn't so lucky when they got the Jacobins, nor was the Russia in 1917, Iran, Iraq etc. etc. I'd rather deal with something known than an unknown in some cases. At least Gaddafi paid for some peace with the West.

Direckshun
Just checking.

If I'm overzealous with nothing else, it's when people/dictators/regimes resist democracy.

Donger
08-22-2011, 12:46 PM

You left out the "and he's killing his own people who are trying to depose him" part.

Donger
08-22-2011, 12:47 PM
:rolleyes:

So his people rose up against him because he was ditching the dollar? Our NATO allies BEGGED us to help them out because he was ditching the dollar?

Do you even think about what you're typing, because it makes no sense whatsoever a frightening percentage of the time.

LMAO

Direckshun
Oh, I guess I completely misread you. You seem to be quite pleased with the results so far.

Of overthrowing Qaddafi, quite.

That doesn't mean I unequivicably support American involvement or all means necessary to get there.

I've started similar threads on Iran, Egypt, Yemen (I'm pretty sure...), Bahrain (I think), and Syria.

BucEyedPea
You left out the "and he's killing his own people who are trying to depose him" part.

That's just BS propaganda. It has to do with the dollar which he was going to ditch. This is a war for the Big Banksters—the ones we taxpayers bailed out.
Nothing more than two evil groups fighting one another which may be replaced with another evil group.

Donger
08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Of overthrowing Qaddafi, quite.

That doesn't mean I unequivicably support American involvement or all means necessary to get there.

I've started similar threads on Iran, Egypt, Yemen (I'm pretty sure...), Bahrain (I think), and Syria.

Overthrowing Gaddafi is just one event. If another dictator takes his place, I fail to see what there is to celebrate.

Donger
08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
That's just BS propaganda. It has to do with the dollar which he was going to ditch. This is a war for the Big Banksters葉he ones we taxpayers bailed out.
Nothing more than two evil groups fighting one another which may be replaced with another evil group.

Holy shit. Even the shit-house rats are looking at you sideways, honey.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 12:50 PM
That's just BS propaganda. It has to do with the dollar which he was going to ditch. This is a war for the Big Banksters葉he ones we taxpayers bailed out.

Big Banksters made the population of Libya rise up in revolt against Khadafy's regime.....because he was going to ditch the dollar.

That's what you're saying? That's your argument?

Newsflash -- it's absurd rubbish.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 01:00 PM

I had always figured you for a brit. :hmmm:

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Actually, BEP, you should know that there is another power at work here behind the overthrow of Khadafy's regime -- cheese conglomerates. It's true, Big Cheese has spread its evil yellow tentacles into every facet of the international food supply chain and as you problably know Libya imports 75% of its food supply. Rumors of reductions in cheese imports by Khadafy, especially of grated cheese in those handy portable resealable pouches -- a serious threat to both the CheeseGraters and ResealablePlasticPouch conglomerates -- has led to his overthrow.

Keep your eye on Big Cheese. They're everywhere you don't suspect.

Donger
08-22-2011, 01:02 PM
I had always figured you for a brit. :hmmm:

Ex/recovering-Brit, yes.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Actually, BEP, you should know that there is another power at work here behind the overthrow of Khadafy's regime -- cheese conglomerates. It's true, Big Cheese has spread its evil yellow tentacles into every facet of the international food supply chain and as you problably know Libya imports 75% of its food supply. Rumors of reductions in cheese imports by Khadafy, especially of grated cheese in those handy portable resealable pouches -- a serious threat to both the CheeseGraters and ResealablePlasticPouch conglomerates -- has led to his overthrow.

Keep your eye on Big Cheese. They're everywhere you don't suspect.

It's about as plausible as Hopebama's foreign policy, I was wondering where all the liberals were hooking their wagons.

Radar Chief
08-22-2011, 01:15 PM
...or....

2) US overthrows him.

He was released from prison by the British.
See what getting out of that British socialist health care will do for you?

Fat Elvis
08-22-2011, 01:30 PM

It's all BP....

go bowe
08-22-2011, 01:31 PM

LMAO LMAO LMAO

too right, too right...

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Ex/recovering-Brit, yes.

You can take the man out of the British Empire but you can't take the British Empire out of the man. You need a little more work 'til we make you into an American Patriot a la Founding Father's style. ;) Continue being a nut.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Just because you don't read the analysis I read doesn't make it out of line. Most wars are based on lies. The rebels were set up with their own bank and control of the oil. That's all one needs to know. But by all means continue to believe the handmaidens of the state葉he mainstream media.

Donger
08-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Just because you don't read the analysis I read doesn't make it out of line. Most wars are based on lies. The rebels were set up with their own bank and control of the oil. That's all one needs to know. But by all means continue to believe the handmaidens of the state葉he mainstream media.

I'd be happy to read the analysis. Please present it.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Do you have any support for this, other than someone raving at LewNutCake.com?

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Gotta be somewhere on Lew Rockwell right? I mean, everything she says on here is a repost of something on there. Talk about following your talking points...

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 01:49 PM

I did earlier in other threads and a bit here. You always make me repeat myself.

Donger
08-22-2011, 01:49 PM
I did earlier in other threads and a bit here. You always make me repeat myself.

And there it is.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 01:52 PM
And there it is.

No it's not there. But it is here on this board—even in this thread. You missed it apparently even though it was said simple and direct. I am doing quick posts today as I am on my way to Tallahassee to take the kid to school and am packing. I have no interest in wasting my time with one of your dragged out debates with a million questions, when I said what I think the real reason is for this intervention already right in this thread. Feel free to disagree because frankly I don't care what you think about it.

Donger
08-22-2011, 01:55 PM
No it's not there. But it is here on this board容ven in this thread. I am doing quick posts today as I am on my way to Tallahassee to take the kid to school and am packing. I have no interest in wasting my time with one of your dragged out debates with a million questions, when I said what I think the real reason is for this intervention already right in this thread. Feel free to disagree because frankly I don't care what you think about it.

Yes, you've told us what you think the real reason is AND mentioned an analysis. Yet, rather than a simple cut and paste of the URL of the analysis, you take the time to write the above. Odd.

Anyway, here's a fun link:

http://www.libertariantoday.com/2011/04/invasion-of-bankster-parasites-obamas.html

LMAO

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Did you say something?

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Overthrowing Gaddafi is just one event. If another dictator takes his place, I fail to see what there is to celebrate.

That's fair.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, you've told us what you think the real reason is AND mentioned an analysis. Yet, rather than a simple cut and paste of the URL of the analysis, you take the time to write the above. Odd.

Anyway, here's a fun link:

http://www.libertariantoday.com/2011/04/invasion-of-bankster-parasites-obamas.html

LMAO

No not the exact same case I was making. Just some similarities. You forgot to mention his creating his own currency.
Oh and I didn't get it there. May I ask what is wrong with using what I consider a reliable source just as you consider the sources that lied to us about Iraq reliable? My sources have been much more accurate with their predictions than the mainstream from Iraq, to the financial crisis. I'll stick with those getting results such as former CIA etc. Go a few years back here on this board where I say we will attack Africa and Syria too. Psst! It's happening. Sources have to do with trust. Sorry— just a FACT.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Did you say something?

Yes. Big Cheese.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Lemmingly, some roll along

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 02:15 PM
April 2011

Wow! That Was Fast! Libyan Rebels Have Already Established a New Central Bank of Libya and formed a form a new national oil company while waging a war. (http://www.lewrockwell.com/rep2/libya-rebels-central-bank.html)

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :hmmm:

Over the past couple of years, Moammar Gadhafi had threatened to nationalize the oil industry in Libya and kick western oil companies out of the country, but now that Libya will be "free" the people of Libya will be able to work hand in hand with "big oil" and this will create a better Libya for everyone....

When Barack Obama looked straight into the camera and told the American people that the war in Libya is in the "strategic interest" of the United States, surely he was not referring to oil.

After all, war for oil was a "Bush thing", right? The Democrats voted for Obama to end wars like this, right? Surely no prominent Democrats will publicly support this war in Libya, right?

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 02:24 PM
The Libyan War, American Power and the Decline of the Petrodollar System (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/scott-pd10.1.html)

Libya decided to challenge the petrodollar system and stop selling all their oil for dollars just before being attacked.

It is also a matter of public record that the UN no-fly resolution 1973 of March 17 followed shortly on Gaddafi’s public threat of March 2 to throw western oil companies out of Libya, and his invitation on March 14 to Chinese, Russian, and Indian firms to produce Libyan oil in their place.15 Significantly China, Russia, and India (joined by their BRICS ally Brazil), all abstained on UN Resolution 1973.

The issue of oil is closely intertwined with that of the dollar, because the dollar’s status as the world’s reserve currency depends largely on OPEC’s decision to denominate the dollar as the currency for OPEC oil purchases. Today’s petrodollar economy dates back to two secret agreements with the Saudisin the 1970s for the recycling of petrodollars back into the US economy. The first of these deals assured a special and on-going Saudi stake in the health of the US dollar; the second secured continuing Saudi support for the pricing of all OPEC oil in dollars. These two deals assured that the US economy would not be impoverished by OPEC oil price hikes. Since then the heaviest burden has been borne instead by the economies of less developed countries, who need to purchase dollars for their oil supplies.16

Barack Obama is a LIAR.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 02:25 PM
April 2011

Wow! That Was Fast! Libyan Rebels Have Already Established a New Central Bank of Libya and formed a form a new national oil company. (http://www.lewrockwell.com/rep2/libya-rebels-central-bank.html)

The article is dated April 1, 2011. How appropriate.

But in all seriousness, if the rebels don't move quickly to control the oil supplies, then they're pretty damn stupid.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 02:27 PM
The Libyan War, American Power and the Decline of the Petrodollar System (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig11/scott-pd10.1.html)

Libya decided to challenge the petrodollar system and stop selling all their oil for dollars just before being attacked.

Barack Obama is a LIAR.

If Lewrockwell.com says it, it must be true.

But behind it all is Big Cheese. Mark my words. Wake up and smell the limburger.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 02:30 PM
If Lewrockwell.com says it, it must be true.

But behind it all is Big Cheese. Mark my words. Wake up and smell the limburger.

Quite frankly it smells more rotten than the usual limburger.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Quite frankly it smells more rotten than the usual limburger.

Imagine that. You can say our own War for Independence was rooted in economics against mercantilist England and that's okay. Or even India which also had an economic angle....it was just handled peacefully by a smart man named Ghandi. Just don't say the Southern War for Independence, or Iraq, Iran and Libya have anything to do with economics. Lolz!

Not only that but Lew Rockwell didn't write those. His crew put it up on his site. Facts are facts otherwise and those things have happened. But we're supposed to believe that since Barack Obama says it's true it must be. Just applying the same logic....when it's really who's side is getting gored.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Imagine that. You can say our own War for Independence was rooted in economics against mercantilist England and that's okay. Or even India which also had an economic angle....it was just handled peacefully by a smart man named Ghandi. Just don't say the Southern War for Independence, or Iraq, Iran and Libya have anything to do with economics. Lolz!

Slavery was largely about economics, there's no doubt of that. And economics are often a prime cause for wars, etc.

And I have no doubt that many Libyans hope to better their economic situation out from under Khadafy's thumb, given that he allocated oil profits as he wished and wealth distribution was absurdly unfair.

But none of that translates into this being a war caused by ExxonMobil or Goldman Sachs.

Donger
08-22-2011, 02:54 PM
April 2011

Wow! That Was Fast! Libyan Rebels Have Already Established a New Central Bank of Libya and formed a form a new national oil company while waging a war. (http://www.lewrockwell.com/rep2/libya-rebels-central-bank.html)

You are so easy.

Donger
08-22-2011, 02:57 PM

Barack Obama is a LIAR.

You do realize that NOTHING in that rant supports the assertion that the rebels began their assault because of Big Bankster (or whatever you called it), right?

Jaric
08-22-2011, 03:09 PM
I had a response to post but now all I can think about is a big block of delicious cheese.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 03:11 PM
I had a response to post but now all I can think about is a big block of delicious cheese.

And that is how they control us. The insidious manipulation of our cravings for cheese.

Excuse me while I get some pepperoni and Ritz crackers to go with...

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 03:11 PM

You're not going the way of the rats Donger mentioned are ya'?

Cheese is good though容specially artisan cheese.

go bowe
08-22-2011, 03:12 PM

traitor!!!

Jaric
08-22-2011, 03:16 PM
And that is how they control us. The insidious manipulation of our cravings for cheese.

Excuse me while I get some pepperoni and Ritz crackers to go with...Name me one thing NOT made better by cheese. Go ahead. I'll wait. (that's right, you can't. Because cheese makes everything better. Even Libya it seems)

You're not going the way of the rats Donger mentioned are ya'?

Cheese is good though容specially artisan cheese.Getting distracted by cheese makes me a neocon doesn't it?

:sulk:

:D

traitor!!!
If loving cheese is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Donger
08-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Mmmmmmm. Tillamook Extra Sharp.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Getting distracted by cheese makes me a neocon doesn't it?

If you want it melted.

Jaric
08-22-2011, 03:20 PM
If you want it melted.

What kind of facist neo-mcarthy shit is this?

I can't melt the cheese? The only thing better than cheese is melted cheese.

I don't care what Lew Rockwell says. I'm melting it.

:#

And besides, wouldn't the neocons just take my cheese because it posed a threat to their national security? (allegedly)

mlyonsd
08-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Mmmmmmm. Tillamook Extra Sharp.Kraft Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp. Once I start eating that on crackers I can't stop.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Name me one thing NOT made better by cheese. .

Your health? :hmmm:

Jaric
08-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Your health? :hmmm:

Calcium.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Calcium.

Bowel Movements and Heart attack! I'm afraid you've been turned to the dark side. :D

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 03:33 PM
What kind of facist neo-mcarthy shit is this?

I can't melt the cheese? The only thing better than cheese is melted cheese.

I don't care what Lew Rockwell says. I'm melting it.

:#

And besides, wouldn't the neocons just take my cheese because it posed a threat to their national security? (allegedly)

No they'd melt it with freedom bombs or nukes depending on your location.

Jaric
08-22-2011, 03:38 PM
No they'd melt it with freedom bombs or nukes depending on your location.

They're going to melt my cheese???

Fuck that. I melt my own cheese. They can melt it when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 03:48 PM
They're going to melt my cheese???

**** that. I melt my own cheese. They can melt it when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

You can so long as you have your debts paid off. In US dollars that is.

orange
08-22-2011, 03:52 PM
http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/17725543/view/1/producttypecolor/1/type/png/width/280/height/280/the-cheese-stands-alone_design.png

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Nope. That's the number of the UN Resolution ( 2011).

Here it is:
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2011/sc10200.doc.htm#Resolution

Believe me I caught that before posting it as I thought the same at first.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Name me one thing NOT made better by cheese. Go ahead. I'll wait. (that's right, you can't. Because cheese makes everything better. Even Libya it seems)

http://www.bloodygoodhorror.com/bgh/files/1bodysnatchers.jpg

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, laugh now, why don't you, while you still can. The tentacles of Big Cheese are extending everywhere. Even football, where CheeseHeads take over a stadium every week like clockwork. Cheese...swiss on rye with ham. Cheese, shredded and drizzled over a bowl of chili. Cheddar, with 'roni and Ritz.

So laugh you bastards, but admit it -- it's in damn near everything you eat and you love it!

'cuse me, I need a snack. brb.

evenfall
08-22-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't know if this is something to celebrate. If the report is true about the new constitution being Sharia-based... Well, what expectation can we have about human rights in the new country? Or that it would be friendly to the west?

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 04:05 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kyE4CLM0QIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Donger
08-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah, this is just fucking peachy...

Military officials estimate the regime amassed as many as 30,000 Man-Portable Air Defense Systems, or MANPADS, before the fighting began. Most are believed to be early-model Russian missiles and launchers.

The U.S. has already sent an interagency team to the region to confer with Libya's neighbors and is providing $3 million to two international weapons abatement teams to locate and dispose of the weapons.

Some missiles have been dismantled, but officials in Algeria and several other nations have raised alarms that other plundered weapons have reached al-Qaeda's North African branch.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, this is just ****ing peachy...

Military officials estimate the regime amassed as many as 30,000 Man-Portable Air Defense Systems, or MANPADS, before the fighting began. Most are believed to be early-model Russian missiles and launchers.

The U.S. has already sent an interagency team to the region to confer with Libya's neighbors and is providing $3 million to two international weapons abatement teams to locate and dispose of the weapons.

Some missiles have been dismantled, but officials in Algeria and several other nations have raised alarms that other plundered weapons have reached al-Qaeda's North African branch.

I doubt were supplying Al Ciaduh with ancient Russian weapons.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Obama: Kadhafi era over, US will be 'partner'

AFP

CHILMARK, Massachusetts (AFP) - US President Barack Obama on Monday pressed Libyan strongman Moamer Kadhafi to explicitly give up power and warned joyful rebels against his rule that their struggle was "not over yet."

"But this much is clear: The Kadhafi regime is coming to an end, and the future of Libya is in the hands of its people," Obama said, as he took a 10-day break from Washington on the posh resort island of Martha's Vineyard.

Obama said he had spoken to British Prime Minister David Cameron and that US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had held other high-level talks as the West planned for the post-Kadhafi era six months after the uprising began.

The US president, who has faced fire from lawmakers for his handling of the conflict, promised Libya's people that Washington will be "a friend and a partner" as the strife-torn country grapples with the "huge challenges ahead."

With fighting still raging in Tripoli despite rebel claims to hold the city, Obama warned that "the situation is still very fluid, there remains a degree of uncertainty, and there are still regime elements who pose a threat."

"Although it's clear that Kadhafi's rule is over, he still has the opportunity to reduce further bloodshed by explicitly relinquishing power to the people of Libya and calling for those forces that continue to fight to lay down their arms for the sake of Libya," said the US president.

Looking beyond Kadhafi's iron-fisted 42-year rule, Obama called for "an inclusive transition that leads to a democratic Libya" and warned the rebels rebels against targeting regime loyalists.

"True justice will not come from reprisals and violence; it will come from reconciliation and a Libya that allows its citizens to determine their own destiny," Obama said.

"In that effort, the United States will be a friend and a partner," he said, vowing to meet the country's humanitarian needs with "critical supplies" and ultimately support the emerging government with Kadhafi's frozen assets.

But a US Treasury official said those assets, totaling roughly $37 billion dollars, were still locked up for now and that US sanctions on the Kadhafi regime remained in place.

And with a possible post-Kadhafi international peacekeeping mission on the horizon, the Pentagon ruled out the deployment of any US ground troops as part of a UN or NATO ground force.

"If there's going to be some type of transitional mission, that remains to be seen, whether it comes out of the UN or NATO," said a spokesman, Colonel Dave Lapan. "But we still do not plan any US forces going on the ground in Libya."

Lapan also said that Kadhafi, who kept out of sight as rebels assailed Tripoli, was thought to still be in Libya, though his exact whereabouts remained unclear.

At the US State Department, spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said diplomats from the "Contact Group" comprising mostly countries that took part in NATO's air campaign in support of the rebels would meet in Istanbul Thursday.

Philip Gordon, the assistant US secretary of state for European affairs, will represent the United States at the talks to "coordinate next steps," she said.

Obama said he had directed the US envoy to the United Nations, Susan Rice, to ask UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to use September's general assembly "to support this important transition."

Earlier, Obama discussed the situation in Libya on a conference call with top national security aides, including National Security Adviser Tom Donilon, Clinton, CIA chief Leon Panetta, Rice, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, and senior military commanders, the White House said.

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/08/obama-kadhafi-era-over-us-will-be.html

BucEyedPea
08-22-2011, 05:42 PM
What a load of crap!

KILLER_CLOWN
08-22-2011, 05:51 PM
What a load of crap!

Well ya, but he's our Hocus Pocus Prez.

evenfall
08-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Yeah, this is just fucking peachy...

Same as Egypt... Now that we know who has won,.we can expect Obama to let us know whose side he was on the whole time...

HonestChieffan
08-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Same as Egypt... Now that we know who has won,.we can expect Obama to let us know whose side he was on the whole time...

Not on your side.

Jaric
08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
How long till the ethnic/tribal cleansing starts?

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Not on your side.

?

What would you guys have done in Libya? Ignore the US's NATO allies and support Khadafy's repressive regime? That what you want to do?

Tell us. Inquiring minds want to know.

Dave Lane
08-22-2011, 11:12 PM
How long till the ethnic/tribal cleansing starts?

Yep I need to set my DVR.

Dave Lane
08-22-2011, 11:14 PM
?

What would you guys have done in Libya? Ignore the US's NATO allies and support Khadafy's repressive regime? That what you want to do?

Tell us. Inquiring minds want to know.

"They have no answers. They are merely simpletons and hucksters of fallacious dreams"

-George Washington

Dave Lane
08-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Cool article by libyas former PM

Former Libyan PM hopeful for country's future

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Mustapha Ben Halim accuses Gadhafi of of stripping Libya of much of its wealth
Ben Halim served as Prime Minister of Libya for three years, from 1954 to 1957
He was abroad when Gadhafi snatched control of the country in a coup in 1969
The 90-year old says he is hopeful of a brighter future for his homeland

London (CNN) -- Embattled Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi is unlikely to give in without a fight, despite rebels storming large areas of Tripoli in recent days, the country's ex-Prime Minister says.
"He will not admit defeat," Mustapha Ben Halim told CNN's Becky Anderson. "I think he might go outside Libya and say that he is going to continue his fight. But I doubt this guy will get the reason, the real thinking, that the circus is finished."
Ben Halim accused Gadhafi, whose exact whereabouts remained a mystery on Tuesday, of stripping Libya of much of its wealth.
Rebels hunt Gadhafi as battles rage
"There is only one way Gadhafi wants to achieve, to have Libya belonging to him," he said. "Not only has he grabbed everything, but there is no control in him, no responsibility, nothing. He does what he likes."
Ben Halim served as Prime Minister of Libya for three years, from 1954 to 1957, and after leaving office worked as an advisor to the country's ruler, King Idris.
When Gadhafi snatched control of the country in a coup in 1969, the politician-turned-businessman was overseas. Unable to return home, he and his family moved to Beirut in Lebanon, before settling in Britain in the 1970s.
Libya's former prime minister speaks out Tribes and Libya's future What's next for Libya? Gadhafi's son: 'Things are fine in Libya' Closing of Gadhafi era?