PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Blech @ our offensive tackle situation...

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Albert looked horrendous against the Ravens. Couldn't figure out proper blocking assignments, was getting blown past as if he was standing still. He ended up getting injured trying to recover against what's-his-name on the edge.

Richardson looks like Richardson. Effective run blocker, decent pass protector until he's lined up against anybody with an adequate strength/speed combination.

Gaither can't get healthy, but he's a game changer if he can. But I'm not putting much money on it -- there's a reason two teams passed on him after physicals.

Who're our backups?

When Albert went out, we had so little faith in Mims to handle the Ravens' rush (understandable, since he's basically at a child's level of understanding of how to play the position so far) we had to put in Butch Lewis, who is terrible.

Chris Harr is probably the worst player on our team right now.

Ryan O'Callaghan is at best a backup RT, maybe.

Of all our positions, this is the one that has the potential to just be awful this season.

ChiefsandO'sfan
08-21-2011, 04:48 PM
http://profootballspotlight.com/chiefs/chiefs-bills-breaking-oline-tape cool site about the oline

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Albert looked horrendous against the Ravens. Couldn't figure out proper blocking assignments, was getting blown past as if he was standing still. He ended up getting injured trying to recover against what's-his-name on the edge.

I didn't see him get beat around the corner once. Seriously.

He got hurt because he was trying to cut the guy and hit his head on his knee. He wasn't trying to recover.

One of us is wrong.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:53 PM

He got hurt because he was trying to cut the guy and hit his head on his knee. He wasn't trying to recover.

One of us is wrong.

He was beat by the guy that injured him, for one.

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 04:54 PM
He was beat by the guy that injured him, for one.

Bullshit. brb

ChiefsandO'sfan
08-21-2011, 04:55 PM

One of us is wrong.

you are right

Easy 6
08-21-2011, 04:56 PM
CONTACT KEVIN SAMPSON AT ONCE!

www. sampson, schiro & lichtenberger.com

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 04:56 PM
CONTACT KEVIN SAMPSON AT ONCE!

www. sampson, schiro & lichtenberger.com

LMAO

Bowser
08-21-2011, 04:59 PM
That motorboatin' sonofabitch Saccopoo was right all along.

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 04:59 PM
You can say "he missed the cut block" but he didn't get beat and try to recover.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2n6at1k.jpg

Both OTs cut their man on this play, it was designed to be a quick pass, the ball was completed.

Brock
08-21-2011, 05:01 PM
SHOULDA DRAFTED OKUNK

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:02 PM
You can say "he missed the cut block" but he didn't get beat and try to recover.

Both OTs cut their man on this play, it was designed to be a quick pass, the ball was completed.

That looks like the guy got beat. Typically, if you cut block a dude and he trots right on by, you got beat.

Methinks that gif was snipped before we get to see the passrusher get heat on Cassel.

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 05:04 PM
There was absolutely no pressure on Cassel. He released the ball without even moving from that spot. In fact you can see him begin his throwing motion.

Bowser
That looks like the guy got beat. Typically, if you cut block a dude and he trots right on by, you got beat.

Methinks that gif was snipped before we get to see the passrusher get heat on Cassel.

To be fair, Albert went into his cut before the rusher evaded him. Albert "didn't get beat", he just started the maneuver a half second too soon.

NJChiefsFan
I agree, he didn't get beat, just didn't perform the block he was going for correctly. Its not like he got be, freaked, and went for the cut block. The rusher got by because of Albert's actions, not because of the rushers ability to beat Albert.

Either way though, the concern for the depth of tackles is valid. Although we always knew this was going to be an issue, it seems injuries are coming or at the least fell like they are around the corner for these guys.

Almost all our tackles have been hurt at one point or another on camp, even if its just a one day thing. Just gives you the feeling either one will linger or we get a bad one. Considering our best backup/starter threat, Gaither, can't practice two days straight it makes it even thinner.

At one point the hope was for Albert and Gaither in the starting lineup, but at this point, its amost a hope that we can't get to the opener with both Albert and Richardson healthy.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:06 PM
This play regardless, Albert's performance still looks like a rookie learning the position.

He's got all season to prove me wrong, but I'm damn ready to say we need to find a new LT.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
I agree, he didn't get beat, just didn't perform the block he was going for correctly. Its not like he got be, freaked, and went for the cut block. The rusher got by because of Albert's actions, not because of the rushers ability to beat Albert.

Either way though, the concern for the depth of tackles is valid. Although we always knew this was going to be an issue, it seems injuries are coming or at the least fell like they are around the corner for these guys.

Almost all our tackles have been hurt at one point or another on camp, even if its just a one day thing. Just gives you the feeling either one will linger or we get a bad one. Considering our best backup/starter threat, Gaither, can't practice two days straight it makes it even thinner.

At one point the hope was for Albert and Gaither in the starting lineup, but at this point, its amost a hope that we can't get to the opener with both Albert and Richardson healthy.

Gaither CANNOT be depended on to do shit at this point.

He failed TWO TEAMS physicals before he landed here.

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
This play regardless, Albert's performance still looks like a rookie learning the position.

You're about to get owned. Stand by.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:20 PM
You're about to get owned. Stand by.

On what? Missed assignments? Crappy passblocking?

You can piece together whatever string of effective plays you want, but this stuff happened.

Bring the gifs, I love them. But I'm not going to blind myself to lackluster play at the tackles.

ForeverChiefs58
08-21-2011, 05:22 PM

He's got all season to prove me wrong, but I'm damn ready to say we need to find a new LT.

why did he even need to dive at the guys knees?
It looks like he doesn't even try to put his hands on him.

Maybe he is learning from the Broncos on how to block? I thought they were going to flag OL cut blocks diving at defenders knees like that this year?

Pretty stupid to change kick offs and flag a guy hitting a WR catching a ball because you want to prevent injury, then let a 300lb OL dive at someones knees.

milkman
08-21-2011, 05:24 PM
I didn't see Albert or Richardson miss an assignment.

I saw what looked like a poorly designed blocking scheme.

And I've said this before.

One of Bill Muir's favorite tactics as an O-Line coach has always been the use of teh cut block, which is one of the reasons I wasn't happy that he was brought here.

milkman
08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
why did he even need to dive at the guys knees?

See my following post.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:27 PM

Blah. You missed Albert bigtime on a sack of Cassel.

I'll look up the play and time when I've got the DVR in front of me, but the guy was lined over a DE that ended up being Lilja's assignment. Albert slides into Lilja, who has it under control, and just dances there confused.

Meanwhile, the OLB that is blitzing on a B-line to Cassel steamrolls McCluster and gets to Cassel.

After the play, Lilja's in Albert's face, presumably chatting about the shit job he just did.

Now it's possible Lilja was saying "what a poor blocking scheme!" But I'm willing to bet the money in my pockets against the money in your pockets that he was pissed off Albert missed the block.

Deservedly so.

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Meanwhile, the OLB that is blitzing on a B-line to Cassel steamrolls McCluster and gets to Cassel.

#1 that was a safety

#2 that was McCluster's job to block him, not Albert's. I'd bet money on it.

There is no way you can read into that play what Albert's assignment was. That's pure spin on your part.

Direckshun
08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
#1 that was a safety

#2 that was McCluster's job to block him, not Albert's. I'd bet money on it.

There is no way you can read into that play what Albert's assignment was. That's pure spin on your part.

When the left tackle is dancing by himself, and the blitzer is zipping exactly through the real estate where the LT was, I'll read into it.

Messier
08-21-2011, 05:32 PM
On what? Missed assignments? Crappy passblocking?

You can piece together whatever string of effective plays you want, but this stuff happened.

Bring the gifs, I love them. But I'm not going to blind myself to lackluster play at the tackles.

So, no matter all the real video evidence that Albert isn't missing assignments and showing crappy passblocking you're gonna stick to you guns? Well, I guess that's admirable.

Just Passin' By
08-21-2011, 05:35 PM

When a guy basically whiffs on a block, he got beat.

Albert got beat.

milkman
08-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Blah. You missed Albert bigtime on a sack of Cassel.

I'll look up the play and time when I've got the DVR in front of me, but the guy was lined over a DE that ended up being Lilja's assignment. Albert slides into Lilja, who has it under control, and just dances there confused.

After the play, Lilja's in Albert's face, presumably chatting about the shit job he just did.

Now it's possible Lilja was saying "what a poor blocking scheme!" But I'm willing to bet the money in my pockets against the money in your pockets that he was pissed off Albert missed the block.

Deservedly so.

That was a safety blitz.

That man is almost always the RB's responsibility.

Albert went to block the man closest to him.

Which goes back to my original point.

It was a poorly designed scheme.

RedThat
08-21-2011, 05:38 PM

One of Bill Muir's favorite tactics as an O-Line coach has always been the use of teh cut block, which is one of the reasons I wasn't happy that he was brought here.

He should be fired. I want him gone asap.

Count Alex's Losses
Alright, you made me do it.

Here's every pass play Albert was in on, save the cut-block gif, and one other one where the camera crew did a shitty job.

#1 - Albert handles Suggs, pass is away for a first down.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket1.jpg

# 2 - The Ravens bring an overload blitz from the right, Albert has no one to block. Richardson gets beat on this play, Cory Redding is unblocked.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket2.jpg

#3 - Albert handles Suggs. Perfect pocket. Moeaki drops the ball.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket3.jpg

#4 - Albert handles Suggs. Asamoah gets beat inside. Cassel to bowe, 24 yards.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket4.jpg

#5 - Albert doubles down on Ngata. Asasmoah gets toasted inside and Moeaki gets beat outside badly.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket5.jpg

#6 - Zero pressure.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket6.jpg

#7 - Albert is at the LOS. McCluster gets destroyed in a blitz pickup on Pollard.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket7.jpg

#8 - Albert is at the LOS again. McCluster gets destroyed again, even worse this time, and Cassel is sacked.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket8.jpg

#9 - Screen pass.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket9.jpg

#10 - quick slant, Albert cuts a guy at the LOS.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket10.jpg

#11 - Suggs gets slight, slight pressure on Cassel, but Albert remains between him and the QB. Throw to McBuster for a first.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket11.jpg

#12 - Albert does a poor job of picking up an outside blitz from a DB. Richardson really gets toasted. This is the worst pass protection from either tackle.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/pocket12.jpg

And that's it. Definitely a guy getting beaten like a drum, man. :rolleyes:

Messier

Albert got beat.

No. He he didn't fall down. He could have stayed on his feet. He intentionally went down to cut him.

Brock
08-21-2011, 05:43 PM
excuses for the qb already.

SNR
08-21-2011, 05:44 PM
I don't care about people's feelings regarding GoChiefs anymore. He's the most valuable poster on the Planet. Period. If you can't stand him, go fuck yourself.

milkman
08-21-2011, 05:47 PM
No. He he didn't fall down. He could have stayed on his feet. He intentionally went down to cut him.

He's got a point.

When you leave your feet to cut block, if you don't make the block, you have whiffed.

But the fact is, cut blocks are missed quite often.

DEs and OLBs are just too athletic and quick for it to be a consistently effective blocking tool.

Reaper16
Derickshun just got tied to a pickup and dragged through Main Street. Complete defeat. Has there been a more thorough beating all year?

Just Passin' By

The pass rusher starts in, almost head on with Albert. Albert drops down to cut. The pass rusher pops to the outside, causing Albert to miss him. Albert got beat.

He got beat bad.

-King-
08-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Welp...ouch. Someone just got thoroughly owned.

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 05:50 PM
I've enjoyed Direckshun's late-night bullshit threads, but this was some afternoon bullshit.

And you know I like you man, so don't take it personally.

Brock
08-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Pull that stormtrooper's boot out of Dreck's ass.

RedThat
08-21-2011, 05:53 PM
I hate cut blocks.

If you are going to do it, you better make sure you knock the guy down or else he gets a free pass to the quarterback.

-King-
08-21-2011, 05:54 PM
I hate cut blocks.

If you are going to do it, you better make sure you knock the guy down or else he gets a free pass to the quarterback.

Well.....duh?

milkman
I don't care about people's feelings regarding GoChiefs anymore. He's the most valuable poster on the Planet. Period. If you can't stand him, go **** yourself.

I like Claythan.

But com'on, you know you enjoy giving him shit.

It's all good natured, though.

chiefzilla1501

Albert got beat.

He got beat, but it's not nearly as big a deal on a play like that. On a quick pass, his job is to divert the pass rusher enough to give Cassel a chance to throw a really quick pass. On those plays, even if he completely whiffed, there's a chance that the rusher doesn't even get to Cassel. Not the best executed block, but not something at all I'd be worried about.

Thanks, gochiefs for posting those pictures. Albert should be just fine, but then again, we'll need to see what happens when defenses really start mixing it up.

RedThat
08-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Well.....duh?

Im just sayin... ****!:#

chiefzilla1501
08-21-2011, 05:58 PM
I hate cut blocks.

In those quick pass situations, I'd be a lot more worried about the pass rusher completely schooling the Left Tackle off the edge. At least with a cut block, you can usually at least even nudge them and take them even 1 second off track. That's buys more than enough time in a quick plass situation.

SNR
08-21-2011, 06:00 PM
I like Claythan.

But com'on, you know you enjoy giving him shit.

It's all good natured, though.
I give him shit all the time. But there are posters here who will hold grudges against him just because he acted like a douchebag YEARS ago on the INTERNET!

So they continue to hate him even though he gives us fucking fantastic material throughout the entire year. Even through fucking lockouts.

By all means, keep the jokes a'comin'. That's cool. But the retards who continue to hold grudges against him don't know what they're missing. They should just shut the fuck up and enjoy Clay's work. Because it's quality shit.

RedThat
08-21-2011, 06:09 PM
I don't care about people's feelings regarding GoChiefs anymore. He's the most valuable poster on the Planet. Period. If you can't stand him, go **** yourself.

He brings something to the board. I enjoy his gifs. The gifs really narrow stuff down and puts things into clear perspective. They're much appreciated.

Thanks Claythan:thumb:

TEX
08-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Albert is not ever going to be more than a barely adequate LT. The sooner the Chiefs realize that, the better off they'll be. We have been asking the same questions of him since day one. That means something. Just my take...

ForeverChiefs58
08-21-2011, 10:59 PM

According to the NFL, low blocks such as chop blocks will be flaged 15 yards this year along with player discipline. Hope it does get enforced for all teams. It starts at 10:20

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8216a10b/2011-NFL-rule-changes-and-points-of-emphasis

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 11:04 PM
A chop block and a cut block are not the same thing.

Chop blocks have always been illegal.

How did they change the rules on cut blocks?

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2011, 11:18 PM
I give him shit all the time. But there are posters here who will hold grudges against him just because he acted like a douchebag YEARS ago on the INTERNET!

So they continue to hate him even though he gives us fucking fantastic material throughout the entire year. Even through fucking lockouts.

By all means, keep the jokes a'comin'. That's cool. But the retards who continue to hold grudges against him don't know what they're missing. They should just shut the fuck up and enjoy Clay's work. Because it's quality shit.He does post quality videos here. I enjoy them. That doesn't absolve him of his behavior. He was banned earlier this year.

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 11:21 PM
He does post quality videos here. I enjoy them. That doesn't absolve him of his behavior. He was banned earlier this year.

LMAO

For nothing.

chief52
08-21-2011, 11:22 PM
A chop block and a cut block are not the same thing.

Chop blocks have always been illegal.

How did they change the rules on cut blocks?

Yes, people often get confused about that. Two different things. A chop block is when a blocker has engaged with a defender for a second or more and a second blocker then blocks down on the defenders legs. The second blocker was not originally engaged.

At least that is the NCAA and the NFL is similiar if not the same.

Always been a 15 yard penalty.

Pablo
08-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Direckshun hasn't made it back to this thread yet?

So very, very surprising.

Claythan - Big, bad-ass tornado
Direckshun - Joplin

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 11:26 PM
He'll fuck you up

(he'll fuck you up)

Yes, Gif will fuck you up

If you dare to disagree with what he posts.

He'll fuck you up

(he'll fuck you up)

Don't you know he'll fuck you up

So you better do some prayin' while you can.

Pablo
08-21-2011, 11:27 PM
He does post quality videos here. I enjoy them. That doesn't absolve him of his behavior. He was banned earlier this year.Yes it does.

Most posters contribute jack-fucking-shit besides misinformed opinions and snide remarks to this website, myself included.

Claythan brings us the goods in video and .gif form. He knows football better than most on this board and can and will thoroughly construct an argument for any position he takes.

He's a great poster and I don't give a shit if he trolls some people now and then and/or makes offensive posts. His banning was a bullshit technicality banning anyhow.

Pawnmower
08-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Ive given claythan shit from time to time..last season .....But he has changed my mind this offseason...I genuinely look forward to his shananigans now, and I'll still give him shit of course....But I think he is funny and brings mostly good stuff to the table.

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2011, 11:28 PM
He'll fuck you up

(he'll fuck you up)

Yes, Gif will fuck you up

He'll fuck you up

(he'll fuck you up)

Don't you know he'll fuck you up

So you better do some prayin' while you can.Is that to the 'tune' of anything?

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Yes it does.

Most posters contribute jack-fucking-shit besides misinformed opinions and snide remarks to this website, myself included.

Claythan brings us the goods in video and .gif form. He knows football better than most on this board and can and will thoroughly construct an argument for any position he takes.

He's a great poster and I don't give a shit if he trolls some people now and then and/or makes offensive posts. His banning was a bullshit technicality banning anyhow.I'd say the mods and the owner would beg to differ.

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 11:31 PM
I used to have a friend named 'shun

Who turned on his television

He cursed and drank and talked shit on Albert

You know 'shun was full aware

That the protection was actually there

And Cassel wasn't close to gettin' hurt

Gif fucked him up (he fucked him up)

He went and fucked 'shun up

Went and paid him back for all his wicked posts

He fucked him up (he fucked him up)

Fucked that boy completely up

Now he's the subject of a Chiefsplanet roaaaaaast

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Is that to the 'tune' of anything?

It's to the tune of this very NSFW song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=id2pJp9ACg8

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2011, 11:33 PM
While his video editing is superior here, his football knowledge isn't better than any one of us. Wipe your chin and move on. :)

xztop12
08-21-2011, 11:36 PM
we'll get a shit ton after final cuts

booger
08-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Yes it does.

Most posters contribute jack-****ing-shit besides misinformed opinions and snide remarks to this website, myself included.

He's a great poster and I don't give a shit if he trolls some people now and then and/or makes offensive posts. His banning was a bullshit technicality banning anyhow.

i don't care who or what he sticks his penis in he's ok in my book. Course my book is pretty messed up....

booger
08-21-2011, 11:39 PM
we'll get a shit ton after final cuts

i hope we can add talent to the roster. Just seems like final cutdown is more hype and dissapointment every year. Teams even keep someone they can't trade because depth is hard to come by.

Pablo
08-21-2011, 11:40 PM
While his video editing is superior here, his football knowledge isn't better than any one of us. Wipe your chin and move on. :)Sure it is. He just thoroughly dismantled an argument in this thread.

There's at least one person he's a little better at watching football than.

Chin-wiping remarks aside, I'd be willing to say he's a more valuable contributor to this website than you or I will ever be. It is what it is.

KCrockaholic
08-21-2011, 11:43 PM
GifHorse is pretty B/A with his cut and paste tools.

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Sure it is. He just thoroughly dismantled an argument in this thread.

There's at least one person he's a little better at watching football than.

Chin-wiping remarks aside, I'd be willing to say he's a more valuable contributor to this website than you or I will ever be. It is what it is.Sure, until the NFL sends Chiefsplanet a Cease and Desist order? ;)

FWIW, I really could not care less how valuable I am here. This place is strictly entertainment for me.

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Sure, until the NFL sends Chiefsplanet a Cease and Desist order? ;)

Jesus Christ, people.

If it hasn't happened yet, it's never gonna happen.

Unless, of course, vailpass becomes NFL Commissioner.

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Jesus Christ, people.

Dude. Did you miss the winking emoticon I posted?

BossChief
08-21-2011, 11:56 PM
The only reason the NFL would give a fuck is if there was money being made off it and they werent a part of the list of addresses that checks were sent to.

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm feeling guilty:

Last Activity: Yesterday 05:31 PM

booger
08-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Only concern @ OT is Gaither and his health/availability. Only other option for OT currently on the team is same as last year w/ O'callohan. Lewis is inconsistant but has potential. He played quite a bit for USC. He could warrant a spot on the 8 man PS. Mims has more upside for sure. Just going to be hard to justify keeping him on the 53. Pretty much 50/50 on if he would clear waivers for KC's PS.

Overall concern for the OL is there depth wise too. Sitting pretty good with the starting 5 and Hudson. Beyond that is tough. Obviously hope for the swing T job to go to a Healthy Gaither. Healthy being the key. That's up in the air. O'call is strickly RT and RG backup. Harris pretty much had the 5th spot rapped up for the interior 3 positions until he got hurt. Which has been his problem from day one. Good talented player but if he can't stay healthy you have to move on sooner or later.

Will be interesting this week to see who among the OL comes back to practice namely Gaither and Harris.

Dave Lane
08-22-2011, 12:16 AM

One of us is wrong.

I fucking hate cut blocking, its OK on a run play the other direction, but seriously use your hands!

Dave Lane
08-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Jesus Christ, people.

Vailpass is lucky to be employed in any capacity.

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2011, 12:20 AM
It appears I've lost a facebook friend.

KCrockaholic
08-22-2011, 12:25 AM

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kT_cp2x0qso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Nah, wasn't him. LMAO

Bowser
08-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Nah, wasn't him. LMAO

Did you piss Joey off? Whatever could it have been for?

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Wasn't Joey. Probably pissed someone off with that video of his, though.

-King-
08-22-2011, 01:58 AM
I wonder if he'll ever come into this thread again.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 02:10 AM
Alright, you made me do it.

Here's every pass play Albert was in on, save the cut-block gif, and one other one where the camera crew did a shitty job.

I went through and watched the first quarter, keying in again on Albert.

Every passrush of the 1st quarter was plain vanilla up the left side, with two exceptions.

First exception, they line up a DE over Albert. A split second before the snap, the DE scoots over Lilja and a safety sprints up hidden behind him. Albert doesn't keep his head on a swivel, and follows the DE right into Lilja who has the play covered. The blitzer runs straight up exactly where Albert was and steamrolls McCluster.

Cassel gets the pass off. The next play is the play you're harping about, which I believe is a 3rd and 10. The OLB lines up over Albert, but doesn't rush, and the blitzer again plows McCluster -- although I think this one is forgivable. The previous play was a disaster that you expect more of a rookie than a four-year vet. And it was really the only tricky play they even tried on Albert's side.

Does not inspire confidence in the left tackle.

Most of Cassel's passes were quick outs -- which is I assume why you used screencap images, not your usual gifs? Albert handles Suggs on a couple of those, but the contact time is one second or less.

You see this on run plays, too. Albert spends much of the game taking his guy out of the game, #93 in particular doesn't get much done against Albert. Runblocking is his bread and butter. But I'm not seeing any recovery from the guy when he's beat, or much additional blocking from him unless the play runs to his side -- unlike Asamoah, when he's out of the play, he stops playing. Which is fine I suppose, but I think he's lost a ton of that motor from his rookie days.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Direckshun hasn't made it back to this thread yet?

So very, very surprising.

I'm feeling guilty:

Last Activity: Yesterday 05:31 PM

I wonder if he'll ever come into this thread again.

You know, considering my extensive history on this board, I deserve at least one iota of benefit of the doubt.

At least one.

But whatev.

Willie Lanier
08-22-2011, 02:17 AM
I thought Branden looked fine. He looked like a more than servicable left tackle, which is more than most teams in the league can say at the moment. His injury was regrettable, but although he may not be a franchise LT, he has been much better than "Eugene Monroe's inferior" he was unjustly pegged as.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Since I'm facing some radio silence of my own, here's a review of every single offensive down Albert played during the first quarter.

Not pictures, or snipped gifs. Full reviews of full plays.

1st offensive down: 1st and ten, Chiefs 20

Handoff to McClain, runs behind B-Rich and gains a couple yards. Albert's a nonfactor because the play isn't run to him, but he stays on his guy to the whistle.

14:30; 2nd and 8, Chiefs 22

Charles off left tackle behind Albert, gains about three-ish. Albert gets a good initial help-push on the nose before getting to the second level and manning his guy.

13:52; 3rd and 5, Chiefs 25

Cassel takes a five step drop for a quick dart out to Bowe for a 1st down. Albert handles Suggs well for a few seconds; the play is pretty quick.

13:16; 1st and 10, Chiefs 38

I think it's Jones who gets the ball and goes up the gut to get two. Whole OL gets push, Albert neutralizes #93 out of the play expertly.

12:44; 2nd and 7, Chiefs 41

Cassel in the shotgun, a very quick out to Bowe, incomplete. Albert helps Lilja before dancing out to the left edge to protect, but no one's there.

12:35 3rd and 7, Chiefs 41

Offsides, Asamoah

12:35 3rd and 12, Chiefs 36

Draw up the gut with McCluster. Albert contains Suggs on the initial burst through the line, but Suggs disengages and follows play. Albert stops playing once Suggs disengages.

11:51 1st and 10, Ravens 15

Jones for two behind a pulling Lilja off the right tackle. Albert is supposed to protect the far side, but Suggs darts around him and Albert reaches to no avail.

11:15 2nd and 8, Ravens 13

Cassel takes a 5-step drop then pitches it across the middle to Moeaki who drops it, incomplete. Albert contains Suggs extremely well.

11:05; 3rd and 8, Baltimore 13

Cassel shotgun, relatively quick out to Bowe, incomplete. Albert contains Suggs for less than a second -- it's a quick play.

5:55; 1st and 10 @ Chiefs 20

Cassel takes a 5 step drop, fires a gorgeous pass to Bowe for the 1st. Albert eliminates Suggs.

5:27; 1st and 10 @ Chiefs 46

Charles takes the ball off B-Rich's tackle on a zone block run, gets 5 yards. Albert busts through to the second level to lay a block on #95, but whiffs.

4:58; 2nd and 6 @ 50

Jones up the gut for two yards, Albert expertly guides #93 away for the play.

4:23; 3rd and 4 @ Ravens 48

Cassel 5-step drop, fires to the left. Bowe is blanketed, however, incomplete. Albert joins new LG Rodney Hudson to neutralize the DE.

1:59; 1st and 10 @ Chiefs 46

Cassel 5-step drop to Jones in the flat, awful throw that goes incomplete. Albert stones #93 at LOS.

1:55; 2nd and 10 @ Chiefs 46

Cassel in the shotgun, fires a hurried, shitty slant to Urban.

This was the only cute playcall up the left side for Baltimore in the 1st quarter. The DE lines up over Albert, then slides over to LG Lilja (who's back in?) right before the snap. Albert gets suckered into the DE, and the safety blitzes right through where Albert was to flatten McCluster and get to Cassel.

1:31; 3rd and 10 @ Chiefs 46

Cassel shotgun, sack.

This is another cute playcall up the left hand side. Lilja is on the DE, Albert lined up across from the OLB. The OLB doesn't rush, and Albert dances at the LT spot. Meanwhile the nickelback crashes through on the edge, plows McCluster, and gets to Cassel.

Hard to pin this one on Albert, although this is another example of his head not exactly being on a swivel when the passrush doesn't come how he expects it to.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 03:06 AM
Which, by the way, even if we grant that Albert played average, this does nothing to diffuse my OP.

Richardson regularly got owned, we can't trust our second-string LT to stay healthy or our third string LT to play football, so we bring in our fourth stringer Butch Lewis who's awful.

Chris Harr is the worst player on the team. Mike Ingersoll and Bobby Greenwood were so good at tackle, they moved them inside.

And O'Callaghan is O'Callaghan.

But yeah, I pussied out of this thread alright. Vintage CP.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 03:34 AM
2nd quarter:

13:51; 1st and 10, Chiefs 44

Screen pass to McClain on the left side. This is Albert's strength, lets 93 through quickly and gets to Suggs at the second level. Suggs never has a chance.

13:17; 1st and ten, Ravens 41

Shitty slant pass from Cassel to Urban, goes no where and almost gets picked. Albert successfully dives at #92 to stall him out of the play.

13:13; 2nd and ten, Ravens 41

Cassel in shotgun, dumps off to McCluster for a ten yard gain. Albert mans the edge rusher pretty well, the rusher gets some push to Cassel but never quite gets there.

12:35; 1st and ten, Ravens 31

Edge rush off the right side for Jones for a good seven yard gain, called back for holding on Pope, but the hold was actually on Richardson. Albert moves with the rest of the line but never really has a guy to get to.

12:14; 1st and 15, Ravens 36

Cassel in shotgun, feels a ton of heat everywhere but especially up the right, and throws it away. DE lines up over Albert, but Albert dances out to take on the blitzing NCB instead. McCluster then darts up to take out the DEs legs, unsuccessfully. Albert gets a hand on the NCB which at least slows him down on the way to Cassel, but he did give up some heat.

Hard to tell if this was a shitty decision by Albert, to me it looked like a shitty blocking scheme.

12:09; 2nd and 15, Ravens 36

Cassel in shotgun, holds the ball for a couple seconds than fires to Breaston at the near sideline, gain of four. This is the play where Albert literally loses his head on a bad attempt to cut at the defenders legs. Albert injures himself, and is out for the remainder of the game.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 03:42 AM
I'm trying to be fair in my evaluations of each down Albert played. Please, if you think I've misrepresented any play, say so. But I think you'll find I have a fair description.

Because I want the guy to succeed. I've fought every True Fan who wanted Bryan Bulaga and Russell Okung and Gabe Carimi and what's-his-cock Sherrod. I must have put up twenty mock drafts across three websites this past draft season and not a single one had us tacking a tackle before round six.

Like everybody else, I've expected some development from Albert and Richardson, but Albert especially. And while two quarters worth of preseason isn't enough for me to lose my head, it is enough to show me exactly what we've been seeing for the last two years Albert's had a chance to improve.

He's still showing the same weaknesses and the same strengths. What progress there's been has retracted as soon as it showed itself.

It's frustrating for somebody who remembers John Alt and Willie Roaf and got another left tackle in the first round in 2008 to get excited over, and the guy simply isn't developing. Which is what I feared when we drafted him.

kysirsoze
08-22-2011, 04:05 AM
Good lord. Is anybody going to read all that??

Ace Gunner
08-22-2011, 04:17 AM
I think you guys are arriving to good conclusions in this thread, but I do want to remind you this is a zone blocking offense - albert has a zone to protect at the LOS. The safety blitz play was Dex's mistake. He didn't get that block to work. Notice Albert looks out to Webb, the safety blitzing as he goes by - that's Albert protecting his zone and the safety knew exactly where Albert's zone ended - he looks in but runs outside a bit during that play.

I don't know what to say about Brandon Albert, other than to wait for the season. I think his big problem has been this area and decisions he makes in terms of who he blocks and who he thinks is not his guy. He does makes those mistakes. I don't think he did on that particular play though. I also think he will get it straight this year.

When it comes to OT, part of his pass block grading needs to include the passing game. I think the playoff game is a good example of this. There were times where the OT's looked bad when actually it was the passing game that was most of the problem. We got shit for WR's behind Bowe. And, Bowe himself didn't have a lot of success getting open during that game.

Basically, sometimes you can't expect your OT's to just build a wall of eternal damming for your passing game. The Chiefs know this. They just don't have all they need at every position yet. The OT's need to keep improving and the team needs WR's to get going also. I like Verran Tucker. Maybe he gets a little bit stronger this season and can get off the blocks now. If you look at the vid highlights;

http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/09000d5d82197dd5/Chiefs-vs-Ravens-highlights

You'll see a play where Bowe is fighting to get off the line and makes the juggling one handed catch. That's pretty much how Tucker needs to do it. These guys were not able or did not do this during the playoff game. They got blocked, shut down a lot. That's a solid defense the Ravens have. Very solid front to back. This is where you need all your guys to win, not just OT's.

booger
08-22-2011, 04:23 AM
my god...what a queen

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Good lord. Is anybody going to read all that??

Well, maybe. I don't know.

The idea was to prove I wasn't just pulling stuff out of my ass.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 04:55 AM
I think you guys are arriving to good conclusions in this thread, but I do want to remind you this is a zone blocking offense - albert has a zone to protect at the LOS. The safety blitz play was Dex's mistake. He didn't get that block to work. Notice Albert looks out to Webb, the safety blitzing as he goes by - that's Albert protecting his zone and the safety knew exactly where Albert's zone ended - he looks in but runs outside a bit during that play.

I don't know what to say about Brandon Albert, other than to wait for the season. I think his big problem has been this area and decisions he makes in terms of who he blocks and who he thinks is not his guy. He does makes those mistakes. I don't think he did on that particular play though. I also think he will get it straight this year.

When it comes to OT, part of his pass block grading needs to include the passing game. I think the playoff game is a good example of this. There were times where the OT's looked bad when actually it was the passing game that was most of the problem. We got shit for WR's behind Bowe. And, Bowe himself didn't have a lot of success getting open during that game.

Basically, sometimes you can't expect your OT's to just build a wall of eternal damming for your passing game. The Chiefs know this. They just don't have all they need at every position yet. The OT's need to keep improving and the team needs WR's to get going also. I like Verran Tucker. Maybe he gets a little bit stronger this season and can get off the blocks now. If you look at the vid highlights;

http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/09000d5d82197dd5/Chiefs-vs-Ravens-highlights

You'll see a play where Bowe is fighting to get off the line and makes the juggling one handed catch. That's pretty much how Tucker needs to do it. These guys were not able or did not do this during the playoff game. They got blocked, shut down a lot. That's a solid defense the Ravens have. Very solid front to back. This is where you need all your guys to win, not just OT's.

Good post.

Ace Gunner
08-22-2011, 05:34 AM
ha, thx maynard. I think this is why the Chiefs chose a WR instead of a OT with that first round pick this year. Baldwin needs a lot of work in the area of getting off the line, but I really like his chances if he can start acting right. He's a big strong dude, no reason he can't succeed with the Chiefs - just don't fight with a tree trunk or you'll get smashed. They really need him to pan out. Wouldn't surprise me to see Pioli talk Moss out of retirement though. He knows this offense, knows Matt C... He could pretty much sign this morning and play a game for the Chiefs tonight, if he's in shape.

Rukdafaidas
08-22-2011, 07:03 AM
When I was at training camp, I focused on the lines. One thing that amazed me was Albert never allowed Hali through the line. They matched up with each other every time and Albert completely controlled him.
Maybe Albert knows all of Hali's moves. Maybe he just matches up well with him.... I don't know. All I know is I came away from the practice impressed with Albert.

the Talking Can
08-22-2011, 07:30 AM
I have no idea what people are watching when they watch Albert.

They want for him to be bad, so badly, that routine plays are downgraded because they weren't textbook, or immaculate, or pretty.

Most line play isn't. Did the QB have time to throw? Then you did your job, period.

I am way more concerned about Cassel's ability to stand in the pocket and go through his progressions than I am Albert's ability to play LT.

noa
08-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Dude, Albert did not literally lose his head.
Posted via Mobile Device

DTLB58
08-22-2011, 08:20 AM
When I was at training camp, I focused on the lines. One thing that amazed me was Albert never allowed Hali through the line. They matched up with each other every time and Albert completely controlled him.
Maybe Albert knows all of Hali's moves. Maybe he just matches up well with him.... I don't know. All I know is I came away from the practice impressed with Albert.

To me that would say Albert needs to be in the film room studying guys he is going face the next week more so he can learn their moves.

ForeverChiefs58
08-22-2011, 08:29 AM
I hope when it is a pass play they don't leave Dex, or anyone under 5'8 to stay in to protect Cassel. I think our new fullback would be so much better. Thomas Jones would be a better fit as well, esp if they told him to pretend the rusher was Baldwin. He would knock that rusher on his ass. ;)

Chiefnj2
08-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Starting OL did a good enough job. Hard to judge with all the quick drops and limited reads. They weren't asked to block very long. Blitz pickup was poor by RB's. (Dex). WRs weren't getting separation. It looked a lot like the first few games of the 2010 season - 3 step drop and have Cassel throw it to his primary read or away.

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Every passrush of the 1st quarter was plain vanilla up the left side, with two exceptions.

First exception, they line up a DE over Albert. A split second before the snap, the DE scoots over Lilja and a safety sprints up hidden behind him. Albert doesn't keep his head on a swivel, and follows the DE right into Lilja who has the play covered. The blitzer runs straight up exactly where Albert was and steamrolls McCluster.

Cassel gets the pass off. The next play is the play you're harping about, which I believe is a 3rd and 10. The OLB lines up over Albert, but doesn't rush, and the blitzer again plows McCluster -- although I think this one is forgivable. The previous play was a disaster that you expect more of a rookie than a four-year vet. And it was really the only tricky play they even tried on Albert's side.

Does not inspire confidence in the left tackle.

OK, I see what you're saying.

It's certainly possible that Albert completely blew his assignment here. I also see Lilja turn to Albert and say something for half a second before the broadcast cuts away. How that equates to "getting in his face" is beyond me.

But EVEN IF he completely blew these two assignments, nailing the guy to a cross for two blown blitz pickups in the second preseason game after zero offseason is a huge overreaction. I fail to see how it equates to "looked horrendous," "was getting blown past" and "Albert's performance still looks like a rookie learning the position."

As for why I used screencaps instead of gifs, making 12 fucking gifs was going to take a long damn time. And the screencaps perfectly illustrate Cassel releasing the pass with little or no pressure, regardless of how quickly the ball was coming out. Suggs was effectively rendered useless during Albert's time in the game. 2nd preseason game? Good enough for me.

Now, hold out your hand, Mr. Potter.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PFMhmEhTJxU/TRpz6phCXiI/AAAAAAAAALQ/3ojq6NQuGvg/s1600/polls_I_must_not_tell_lies_4020_259175_poll_xlarge.jpeg

Saccopoo
08-22-2011, 10:51 AM
That motorboatin' sonofabitch Saccopoo was right all along.

This.

Brock
08-22-2011, 10:55 AM
If by "right", you mean the Chiefs should have drafted Okung instead of Berry, you can turn right into the AIDS tree.

Chris Meck
08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
This thread is a perfect example of why I hate to watch/talk football with most people.

Even after being shown photographic evidence of being wrong, they will continue to argue their predetermined conclusion.

If the average fan sees a lot of pressure on the QB, they assume the OT's suck. Never mind that Baltimore was blitzing A LOT and therefore the OT's were not to blame (for the most part).

They blitzed a lot, and we ran vanilla. It's just that simple. Albert neutralized Suggs for the most part and did a good job on the running plays to his side. How is that indicative of poor play?

Saccopoo
08-22-2011, 11:11 AM
I thought Branden looked fine. He looked like a more than servicable left tackle, which is more than most teams in the league can say at the moment. His injury was regrettable, but although he may not be a franchise LT, he has been much better than "Eugene Monroe's inferior" he was unjustly pegged as.

He wasn't pegged as either Fergusson's or Monroe's inferior. He was pegged as a guard with quick feet that had excellent length that looked like he could potentially transition to a tackle position at the next level.

The problem is, his quick feet are limited to working inside a phone booth. He has no lateral mobility, a non-existant kick step, is slow to recover from his initial pop and struggles to lock onto blockers once engaged. He also is horrendous (seriously) once he gets into the second level off the edge. He can't locate potential blocking targets within the scope of the play once off the line.

He's shown the exact same tendencies since his rookie year, and now it's his fourth preseason and nothing has changed.

BigMeatballDave
08-22-2011, 11:14 AM
This.Ha! So, do you think the Chiefs should have drafted Okung instead of Berry, like you wanted?

Chris Meck
08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
The problem is, his quick feet are limited to working inside a phone booth. He has no lateral mobility, a non-existant kick step, is slow to recover from his initial pop and struggles to lock onto blockers once engaged. He also is horrendous (seriously) once he gets into the second level off the edge. He can't locate potential blocking targets within the scope of the play once off the line.

He's shown the exact same tendencies since his rookie year, and now it's his fourth preseason and nothing has changed.

Bullsh!t.

Chris Meck
08-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Did all you Albert haters just grow up watching Willie Roaf? Because that would explain the hate.

It's not that Albert is a bad LT. In fact, he's a well above average LT. He ain't Willie Roaf, but nobody is.

Chiefnj2
08-22-2011, 11:25 AM
The OL did an acceptable job. Most of the problems were with blitz recognition and pickup. It's hard to judge them when Cassel is taking quick drops, 1 read and throw the ball. Hopefully they can protect on longer developing plays.

IMO, the bigger problems exposed in the Baltimore game were:

1. KC receivers cannot get separation.
2. Balts receivers were getting lots of separation.
3. Pass rush on Flacco.

keg in kc
08-22-2011, 11:25 AM
He was pegged as a guard with quick feet that had excellent length that looked like he could potentially transition to a tackle position at the next level. I guess three years of people telling this guy Albert was a tackle at Virginia who only played guard because they wanted them both on the line and Monroe couldn't play the position wasn't enough.

ChiefsCountry
08-22-2011, 11:28 AM
First of all this whole thread is just Direction being his attention whore self. Second it would be nice to see people put the same standards at QB position as they do LT.

Dicky McElephant
08-22-2011, 11:29 AM
This is Albert's year to prove himself.

Saccopoo
08-22-2011, 11:36 AM
If by "right", you mean the Chiefs should have drafted Okung instead of Berry, you can turn right into the AIDS tree.

I was okay with the Berry pick.

I think he really struggled in the pass game and was effectively a third middle linebacker more than a safety, but he's got a ton of potential and our safety position was in dire need of an upgrade.

Same as this past draft. I had no problem with Baldwin as the pick over Costanzo or Sherrod as our WR depth beyond Bowe was non-existent.

The problem is that the position hasn't been addressed for the past three drafts under the new regime and we've all known that there is a problem at, the very least, the right tackle position (and most intelligent evaluators realize that Albert has not progressed in his three years in the league and needed to be repositioned to a slot that better took advantage of his skill set).

Everyone got excited about the Gaither signing thinking that would be the answer to the problem on the cheap, but no one seemed to realize that he got passed over by other team because of a hurt back - on a 6'9", 340 lbs. guy. (Go ask Turley how effective you are on the edge after a back injury.) It was nothing more than a desperation move that had more of a chance of not working than working.

In three years, they've done nothing to address one of the key positions of the offense. That's just what it is. It didn't need to be a first rounder. However, it needed to be in the mix somewhere. (Zane Beadles over McCluster would have been a decent choice.)

They are going to pay the price for it this year.

Chiefnj2
08-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Second it would be nice to see people put the same standards at QB position as they do LT.

Yeah, Cassel gets no criticism on this board.

Saccopoo
08-22-2011, 11:37 AM

You guys have been saying that for the past three years.

It's year four of starting in the NFL at left tackle for Albert.

I can't wait until the off-season where everyone around here will declare that it's really year five where a guy grows into his position.

the Talking Can
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I was okay with the Berry pick.

I think he really struggled in the pass game and was effectively a third middle linebacker more than a safety, but he's got a ton of potential and our safety position was in dire need of an upgrade.

just stop....what you've written is fucking stupid even by your "Moeaki was our best LT...on that one time he lined up at LT....oh, you're right, that wasn't him" standard....

Berry shoved reality so far up your ass, you'll never find it again....

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Maybe he is learning from the Broncos on how to block? I thought they were going to flag OL cut blocks diving at defenders knees like that this year?

No. Cut blocks are still legal. They pretty much have to be. There's certain plays you can't even run if you can't cut on the backside.

BigMeatballDave
08-22-2011, 12:04 PM
LMAO @ Saccopoo. You're OK with the Berry pick?

Just Passin' By
08-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Given the argument about Albert, I'm surprised nobody has tried to match him up against all the other starting LTs in the league.

the Talking Can
08-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Given the argument about Albert, I'm surprised nobody has tried to match him up against all the other starting LTs in the league.

hey, it's "Matt Light will be the Chiefs LT" guy...

NJChiefsFan
08-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah, Cassel gets no criticism on this board.

Seriously. How can anybody ask for more criticism of Cassel. Deserved or not, he gets ripped plenty. If Matt read this board he would beg to get picked apart at the rate Albert does.

Just Passin' By
08-22-2011, 01:56 PM
hey, it's "Matt Light will be the Chiefs LT" guy...

Hey, it's "That's not what the poster said, but I'm an idiot so I'll toss it out there anyway" guy...

With the Patriots drafting Solder, it's possible that Light will be available. Pioli knows his game, so I could see him ending up in K.C., moving Albert to RT.

That would make Richardson the backup tackle on both sides.

I hope that the Patriots aren't going to rely on Solder at LT out of the gate, especially if the offseason is cut short by the lockout. The kid's got strength and technique issues that need to be worked on, and it's going to be bad enough dealing with the RG problem without adding a LT problem to the mix. There's only so much that can be covered up for.

I wanted Light re-signed for 2-3 years. I expected Light to be re-signed for 2-3 years. Unlike you, however, I'm capable of seeing more than one possibility at a time.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 02:05 PM

It's certainly possible that Albert completely blew his assignment here. I also see Lilja turn to Albert and say something for half a second before the broadcast cuts away. How that equates to "getting in his face" is beyond me.

But EVEN IF he completely blew these two assignments, nailing the guy to a cross for two blown blitz pickups in the second preseason game after zero offseason is a huge overreaction. I fail to see how it equates to "looked horrendous," "was getting blown past" and "Albert's performance still looks like a rookie learning the position."

As for why I used screencaps instead of gifs, making 12 ****ing gifs was going to take a long damn time. And the screencaps perfectly illustrate Cassel releasing the pass with little or no pressure, regardless of how quickly the ball was coming out. Suggs was effectively rendered useless during Albert's time in the game. 2nd preseason game? Good enough for me.

Hyperbole aside, I don't see progress there. I don't see a different player there than I did during his sophomore year. He's the same player.

Maybe he turns it around, and I'm comfortable saying that to a point. But it's been two years and I don't see the progress. He's got the same game he did then. And average LTs don't play on Super Bowl teams.

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2011, 02:08 PM
average LTs don't play on Super Bowl teams.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StarMa21.htm

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 02:09 PM
This thread is a perfect example of why I hate to watch/talk football with most people.

Even after being shown photographic evidence of being wrong, they will continue to argue their predetermined conclusion.

If the average fan sees a lot of pressure on the QB, they assume the OT's suck. Never mind that Baltimore was blitzing A LOT and therefore the OT's were not to blame (for the most part).

They blitzed a lot, and we ran vanilla. It's just that simple. Albert neutralized Suggs for the most part and did a good job on the running plays to his side. How is that indicative of poor play?

The conclusion I came to is supported by a rundown of the plays, not screencaps. If you don't want to accept further evidence because you say a picture, then watch football by yourself since that's clearly working out for you.

I'm not the average fan, I don't attribute all breakdowns in protection the OL. I have an extensive history on this board to prove the opposite. So be careful when you paint with too broad a brush.

Did all you Albert haters just grow up watching Willie Roaf? Because that would explain the hate.

It's not that Albert is a bad LT. In fact, he's a well above average LT. He ain't Willie Roaf, but nobody is.

I'm not an Albert "hater." I hated the draft pick, I changed my tune after his rookie season, and I've spent the past two seasons countering any True Fan who wanted us to take Bulaga or Carimi.

It's possible to turn on a player because he's not getting it done. I want a Super Bowl quality LT for this team.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 02:10 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StarMa21.htm

What's that you say? Trent Dilfer quarterbacked a team to go to the Super Bowl?

Well that just blows my theory apart.

noa
08-22-2011, 02:11 PM
The question is about building a team. If you think we can only get by with an elite LT, then we will have to spend a very high draft pick, which sets us back in other areas. If we can get by with Albert, then we can strengthen the rest of the team, which had been the approach the last couple years. Getting by with him has helped make us a better team, even if he isn't Roaf 2.0.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saul Good
08-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Who was the last great LT to win the SB? Orlando Pace?

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2011, 02:14 PM
What's that you say? Trent Dilfer quarterbacked a team to go to the Super Bowl?

Well that just blows my theory apart.

Only true fans think you need an elite left tackle to win a Super Bowl.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BushJe20.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiehDa21.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitMa55.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/ObenRo20.htm

Rausch
08-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Our LT is underachieving and we have no player to the level of a B/U at RT.

That's the situation...

Just Passin' By
08-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Only true fans think you need an elite left tackle to win a Super Bowl.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BushJe20.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiehDa21.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitMa55.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/ObenRo20.htm

There's no position on the team where you absolutely must have an elite player to win.

ChiefsCountry
08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Who was the last great LT to win the SB? Orlando Pace?

Ogden with the Ravens. But if great LT's and OL's won Super Bowls Chiefs would have won quite a few now.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 02:29 PM

I'm not sure you can even do that.

But let's try.

LTs in the league:

Matt Light
Jake Long
Demetrius Bell
D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Michael Oher
Joe Thomas
Andrew Whitworth
Jonathan Scott

Anthony Castonzo
Duane Brown
Eugene Monroe
Michael Roos

Brandon Albert
Ryan Clady
Marcus McNeill
Jared Veldheer

Doug Free
Will Beatty
Jason Peters
Trent Williams

J'Marcus Webb
Jeff Backus
Chad Clifton
Charlie Johnson

Sam Baker
Jordan Gross
Jermon Bushrod
Donald Penn

Levi Brown
Russel Okung
Rodger Saffold
Joe Staley

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 02:33 PM
At first glance:

Which LTs would I prefer over Albert?

Matt Light
Jake Long
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Michael Oher
Joe Thomas
Duane Brown
Marcus McNeill
Jason Peters
Chad Clifton
Jordan Gross
Jermon Bushrod
Donald Penn
Rodger Saffold

Which ones would I say are about on par with him?

Jonathan Scott
Ryan Clady
Will Beatty
Sam Baker

Which ones would I say are worse?

Demetrius Bell
Andrew Whitworth
Jared Veldheer
Doug Free
Michael Roos
J'Marcus Webb
Jeff Backus
Charlie Johnson
Levi Brown
Joe Staley

Too soon to know:

Anthony Castonzo (hasn't played a down)
Eugene Monroe (hasn't looked good)
Trent Williams (looks good)
Russel Okung (looks elite when healthy)

I'd say that puts him about the middle of the league. Just like our quarterback.

noa
08-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Fine, even if he's middle of the league, do we spend a first rounder next year to replace him? Even though we had the #1 rushing offense last year? What about other areas of need?
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
08-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Fine, even if he's middle of the league, do we spend a first rounder next year to replace him? Even though we had the #1 rushing offense last year? What about other areas of need?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm okay with a low first rounder to improve the OL. This team is approaching the point where there really aren't any screaming needs anywhere else.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 02:41 PM

I have no idea, it all depends on the board and where we're picking.

At this point, if we had a choice between a potential franchise LT that I really liked in the first round, and everything but an elite player at another important position (QB, WR, DL, OLB), I'd opt for the LT.

But it's waaaaaayyyyyy too soon too tell.

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Andrew Whitworth
Doug Free
Michael Roos

These guys are way better than Albert. Whitworth is one of the league's top pass blockers, man.

I think Albert is a middle of the road pass blocker and excellent run blocker right now.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 02:47 PM
These guys are way better than Albert. Whitworth is one of the league's top pass blockers, man.

I think Albert is a middle of the road pass blocker and excellent run blocker right now.

That's fair. Although I disagree about Free in particular.

I'd say Albert is in the lower third of the league in LTs in passblocking, and Top 10 (maybe even Top 5) in run blocking.

noa
08-22-2011, 02:49 PM
If your complaint is that Albert isn't elite, then we would need to spend a high first rounder. But hopefully we will be picking where the packers picked last year so we won't have the opportunity.
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 02:52 PM
If your complaint is that Albert isn't elite, then we would need to spend a high first rounder.

Nah. You can get elite LTs all over the first. Rarely, but occasionally, you can get them in the 2nd.

I'm not saying that Albert isn't elite, I'm saying he's average. And that's going to hamstring a QB that honestly, needs all the help he can get.

Just Passin' By
08-22-2011, 03:16 PM
If your complaint is that Albert isn't elite, then we would need to spend a high first rounder. But hopefully we will be picking where the packers picked last year so we won't have the opportunity.
Posted via Mobile Device

What it means is that you can get an equivalent LT in the draft without having to trade up for an elite spot, which would allow the team to move Albert to another position and strengthen the line that way. It really is more about having options, at least in the way that I'm looking at it. If the team thinks Albert would be an upgrade at LG or RT, there's no real reason not to make the move since replacing him at LT isn't going to be some huge drop.

milkman
08-22-2011, 08:58 PM
He'll **** you up

(he'll **** you up)

Yes, Gif will **** you up

He'll **** you up

(he'll **** you up)

Don't you know he'll **** you up

So you better do some prayin' while you can.

Don't get too cocky Claythan.

Don't forget that even with the gifs, you still miss things, i.e. blaming Richardson for a poor block, when in fact he was tripped by Mike Goff whe had been beaten badly by his man.

As for why I used screencaps instead of gifs, making 12 ****ing gifs was going to take a long damn time. And the screencaps perfectly illustrate Cassel releasing the pass with little or no pressure, regardless of how quickly the ball was coming out. Suggs was effectively rendered useless during Albert's time in the game. 2nd preseason game? Good enough for me.

Now, hold out your hand, Mr. Potter.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PFMhmEhTJxU/TRpz6phCXiI/AAAAAAAAALQ/3ojq6NQuGvg/s1600/polls_I_must_not_tell_lies_4020_259175_poll_xlarge.jpeg

Now Direckshun's critisism here might have some merit, but that's one that I believe goes to Muir's blocking scheme.

I fully acknowledge though, that I could be wrong.

Bullsh!t.

Saccoshit isn't entirely wrong.

Albert really hasn't progressed.

I place part of the balme for that on Muir, who I have never liked as an OL coach.

But most of the blame has to go to Albert, who hasn't shown any desire to really put any extra work in to improve, seemingly.

BossChief
08-22-2011, 09:45 PM
It really is as simple as that.

If he can make the strides with his pass protection that he did with his run blocking last year, he has a chance to fulfill his immense potential.

He has the physical tools to be one of the best LTs in the league.

I will always believe that losing that weight going into his second year hurt him a lot.

I place part of the balme for that on Muir, who I have never liked as an OL coach.

But most of the blame has to go to Albert, who hasn't shown any desire to really put any extra work in to improve, seemingly.

I dont agree that Albert hasn't improved...He has in fact done so.

He just hasnt improved in his pass blocking the last two years and I totally agree that it was because he hasnt put in the extra work it takes to be a real performer at one of the most important positions in the league.

All in all though, Pests post hit the nail on the head.

If he doesn't get it done this year, thats ok too. He will make our line deep as fuck next year. Maybe Gaither will be ready to play by then....

Gaither/first round pick/_______
Albert/Lilja
Hudson/_______
Asamoah/Lilja
first round pick/richardson

This is his year to prove himself and if he does or doesnt, this line has potential to be special.

milkman
08-22-2011, 10:07 PM
It really is as simple as that.

If he can make the strides with his pass protection that he did with his run blocking last year, he has a chance to fulfill his immense potential.

He has the physical tools to be one of the best LTs in the league.

I will always believe that losing that weight going into his second year hurt him a lot.

He just hasnt improved in his pass blocking the last two years and I totally agree that it was because he hasnt put in the extra work it takes to be a real performer at one of the most important positions in the league.

If he doesn't get it done this year, thats ok too. He will make our line deep as **** next year. Maybe Gaither will be ready to play by then....

Albert/Lilja
Hudson/_______
Asamoah/Lilja

This is his year to prove himself and if he does or doesnt, this line has potential to be special.

When I talk about Albert not improving, I am addressing pass protection.

And saccoshit is right when he questions whether Gaither will ever be healthy enough ot be relied on.

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 10:15 PM

Albert's rookie year was really his high water mark. Under Herm, he played with urgency, exhibited a ton of attitude, and finished off his blocks from whistle-to-whistle.

I hesitate to say he seems indifferent, because you can't really know that... but doesn't he? Unless plays are run specifically to him, he doesn't stick to cornholing guys from whistle to whistle anymore. He lets guys disengage and pursue.

Something between his ears went awry a year or two ago and I haven't seen the same enthusiasm from him since.

And that doesn't even include the issues we have with Richardson, or the complete nothingness we have for depth.

BossChief
08-22-2011, 10:19 PM
When I talk about Albert not improving, I am addressing pass protection.

And saccoshit is right when he questions whether Gaither will ever be healthy enough ot be relied on.

:crossesfingers:

Direckshun
08-22-2011, 10:21 PM

If he doesn't get it done this year, thats ok too. He will make our line deep as **** next year. Maybe Gaither will be ready to play by then....

Albert/Lilja
Hudson/_______
Asamoah/Lilja

Meh. I don't think we slide Lilja out of a starting role. I would prefer Albert to find a way to make RT work but players who play LT almost always seem to hate that transition for some reason.

I also don't think Gaither can be counted on for shit. Maybe we can resign him for spot backup work as a swing tackle. I'd say we're also really unlikely to resign Richardson this offseason.

1st round pick
Lilja
Hudson
Asamoah
Albert

BossChief
08-22-2011, 10:28 PM
there was a slight hint of sarcasm in my post

Chiefs=Good
08-22-2011, 10:45 PM
God i really, really hope Albert, or Gaither pan out this year. really eyeing off that 1st rounder on a qb... A man can dream cant he...?

Reaper16
08-22-2011, 11:19 PM
God i really, really hope Albert, or Gaither pan out this year. really eyeing off that 1st rounder on a qb... A man can dream cant he...?
Well, by that same thinking, could you also "really, really hope" that Cassel pans out? Frees up the 1st rounder from both LT and QB!

BossChief
08-22-2011, 11:25 PM
shit just got real

Chris Meck
08-23-2011, 12:53 AM
points taken all around.

the original post stated that Albert "LOOKED HORRENDOUS".

Pics later showed a QB getting rid of the ball with Albert controlling his man in all but like one play. So clearly NOT horrendous.

It's generally noted that he's an excellent run blocker (although Sacc will disagree).

Clearly, he is NOT horrendous. This leads me to my new hypothesis:

Some folks got so used to seeing Willie Roaf that they have an unrealistic idea of what a Left Offensive Tackle is supposed to be.

Big Willie was the sh!t. Guys like that come once or twice a generation.

Albert's plenty good enough to win with.

Bump
08-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Worst case scenario: Move Albert to guard and play Gaither and LT. That's a damn good worst case scenario IMO.

Just Passin' By
08-23-2011, 01:54 AM
points taken all around.

Pics later showed a QB getting rid of the ball with Albert controlling his man in all but like one play. So clearly NOT horrendous.

It's generally noted that he's an excellent run blocker (although Sacc will disagree).

Some folks got so used to seeing Willie Roaf that they have an unrealistic idea of what a Left Offensive Tackle is supposed to be.

Albert's somewhere in the average/below average area for his position, IMO. To me, the question is whether the Chiefs are better off moving him to another position and looking for an LT or better off leaving him there and looking elsewhere for more help along the line. If Gaither were healthy, the Chiefs might even have been facing that question right now.

Count Alex's Losses
08-23-2011, 03:01 AM
http://i.imgur.com/gUT2A.jpg

Chiefnj2
08-23-2011, 08:13 AM
points taken all around.

You are correct, in the game against the Ravens Albert did not look horrendous. However, it's tough to judge the pass blocking when the scheme was generally a quick drop and throw it to your first read. It looked a lot like the first few weeks of 2010. Is Albert good enough for a downfield passing game? I'm not sold yet.

the Talking Can
08-23-2011, 08:23 AM
want to know what an actual 'below average' LT looks like?

Chicago Bears....

I'd like to see a list of LTs who run block better than 'Below Average' Albert...this should be fun:

Count Alex's Losses
08-23-2011, 08:27 AM
I'd like to see a list of LTs who run block better than 'Below Average' Albert...this should be fun:

According to PFF:

Duane Brown HOU
DaBrick NYJ
Jordan Gross CAR
Whitworth CIN
Long MIA
Light NE
McNeill SD
Free DAL

Dave Lane
08-23-2011, 08:31 AM
want to know what an actual 'below average' LT looks like?

Chicago Bears....

His run blocking is above average his pass blocking is below average. He's a guard moved to LT and it shows. He would be an awesome guard.

keg in kc
08-23-2011, 08:42 AM
His run blocking is above average his pass blocking is below average. He's a guard moved to LT and it shows. He would be an awesome guard.http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/109/3/4/double_facepalm_by_epicfacepalm6000-d3ecczf.jpg

the Talking Can
08-23-2011, 08:48 AM
His run blocking is above average his pass blocking is below average. He's a guard moved to LT and it shows. He would be an awesome guard.

his run blocking is not average....

is this thread high?

the Talking Can
08-23-2011, 08:50 AM
According to PFF:

Duane Brown HOU
DaBrick NYJ
Jordan Gross CAR
Whitworth CIN
Long MIA
Light NE
McNeill SD
Free DAL

Light is a better run blocker than Albert?

lmao...god bless stats

even without questioning the context of those stats, Albert is 9th..

Dave Lane
08-23-2011, 08:51 AM
his run blocking is not average....

is this thread high?

So the part that said above average was lost due to misunderstanding english or?

Dave Lane
08-23-2011, 08:51 AM
keg

So you are disputing facts?

keg in kc
08-23-2011, 08:54 AM
So you are disputing facts?
He's not a guard moved to tackle. He never was. He's a tackle that was moved to guard to get Eugene Monroe (who couldn't play the position) on the field. That's the only reason he was playing inside.

Count Alex's Losses
08-23-2011, 08:54 AM
PFF doesn't grade on statistics, they grade on player performance.

Even so, Albert's run blocking has improved quite a bit since the start of 2009, when it was negative most of the year until the final month. Then it started going up and has been on a steady incline.

the Talking Can
08-23-2011, 08:56 AM
So the part that said above average was lost due to misunderstanding english or?

ROFL

yeah, i missed that part...guess I'm high

i blame that stupid pats fan

Dave Lane
08-23-2011, 08:58 AM
He's not a guard moved to tackle. He never was. He's a tackle that was moved to guard to get Eugene Monroe (who couldn't play the position) on the field. That's the only reason he was playing inside.

So he played guard, we moved him to tackle, where he's a very good run blocker and a below average pass blocker with facts and PFF to back me up. And you have?

the Talking Can
08-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Bottom line on Albert is this:

he's good enough for a good QB

but we'll probably scrap him in the never ending effort to build an offense so perfect even Cassel can't screw it up...

keg in kc
08-23-2011, 09:02 AM
So he played guard, we moved him to tackle, where he's a very good run blocker and a below average pass blocker with facts and PFF to back me up. And you have?I'm just correcting your "facts". He was a tackle at Virginia who temporarily played guard to get Monroe on the field. Sorry if you don't like that. Sometimes reality doesn't fit the points we're trying to make.

Dave Lane
08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Bottom line on Albert is this:

he's good enough for a good QB

but we'll probably scrap him in the never ending effort to build an offense so perfect even Cassel can't screw it up...

I'm fully in favor of scrapping both. But franchise LT and QB don't actually come from wishing for them. I wish it was true (pun intended)

Dave Lane
08-23-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm just correcting your "facts". He was a tackle at Virginia who temporarily played guard to get Monroe on the field. Sorry if you don't like that. Sometimes reality doesn't fit the points we're trying to make.

So in other words you are saying he played guard, we moved him to tackle, where he's a very good run blocker and a below average pass blocker.

I agree.

keg in kc
08-23-2011, 09:13 AM
So in other words you are saying he played guard, we moved him to tackle, where he's a very good run blocker and a below average pass blocker.

I agree.Nope. I'm simply saying that he was a tackle in college first and foremost, and the idea that he's a guard that we drafted (in the mid first round no less) with the intention of moving to tackle, like that wasn't actually his position to begin with, denotes either a poor understanding or an outright ignorance of his actual situation in college.

That's all. You'll have to excuse me if I expect more from people here. I'd like to think saccopoo isn't representative of run-of-the-mill chiefsplanet poster.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2011, 12:23 PM
RavensInsider (http://twitter.com/#%21/RavensInsider) Aaron Wilson

John harbaugh happy with pass rush so far 14 qb hits against chiefs

49 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/RavensInsider/status/106053463603036160) [/URL] (http://twitter.com/#)[URL="http://twitter.com/#"] (http://twitter.com/#)

Chiefnj2
08-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Nope. I'm simply saying that he was a tackle in college first and foremost, and the idea that he's a guard that we drafted (in the mid first round no less) with the intention of moving to tackle, like that wasn't actually his position to begin with, denotes either a poor understanding or an outright ignorance of his actual situation in college.

That's all. You'll have to excuse me if I expect more from people here. I'd like to think saccopoo isn't representative of run-of-the-mill chiefsplanet poster.

How can you say he was a tackle in college first and foremost when he didn't play tackle in college? Whether he had the skill to play tackle in college is a different question. He played guard.

KC native
08-23-2011, 12:57 PM
ROFL at the god will fuck you up song clay posted.

Saul Good
08-23-2011, 01:16 PM

I agree.

How in the hell did the Bulls think to pick up Michael Jordan in 1994? I mean, the guy was a minor league baseball player that they converted to a basketball player. They were just visionaries, I guess.

keg in kc
08-23-2011, 01:25 PM
How can you say he was a tackle in college first and foremost when he didn't play tackle in college? Whether he had the skill to play tackle in college is a different question. He played guard.I can say that because I understand the circumstances. Again, the only reason he ever played at guard was, originally, because D'Brickashaw Ferguson was starting as a senior and they wanted Albert on the field, and then later Monroe came in, at which point Albert played guard because he was the one actually versatile enough to do it. They wanted both of them on the line, and that was the only way it was going to happen. Monroe couldn't play anywhere else. And Albert actually did start at tackle a couple of times as a senior.

What the Chiefs did in 2008 wasn't 'moving' so much as it was 'moving back', as in back to where he should have been playing all along. And here we are 3 years later - all of this time he's starting at tackle, making this whole discussion moot anyway; he's played more at tackle in KC than he ever did at guard at UVA - and people are talking about moving him again.

It makes no sense. He's at worst an average left tackle, and has the ability (if not the right coordinator/coach, unfortunately for him) to be more than that. And people talk about him like he's freaking route 65, and every year ohmigodwegottadraftatackleooohpanicpanictheskyisfalling.

Hell half of me hopes he plays out of his contract and goes somewhere else. Probably the best thing that could happen to him.

Dave Lane
08-23-2011, 01:42 PM
How in the hell did the Bulls think to pick up Michael Jordan in 1994? I mean, the guy was a minor league baseball player that they converted to a basketball player. They were just visionaries, I guess.

I'll bet they never missed a pick ever.

BossChief
08-23-2011, 03:36 PM
If the team believed in Albert as much as some of us do, they wouldn't bring in a guy like Gaither and start him out at LT.

Id like to see how many of the sacks Albert gave up were after 4 seconds.

Pestilence put it best. This is Alberts last year to prove himself.

If he doesnt step up his pass blocking, its time to move him to LG and move on.

Messier
08-23-2011, 04:46 PM
If the team believed in Albert as much as some of us do, they wouldn't bring in a guy like Gaither and start him out at LT.

Id like to see how many of the sacks Albert gave up were after 4 seconds.

Pestilence put it best. This is Alberts last year to prove himself.

If he doesnt step up his pass blocking, its time to move him to LG and move on.

If the team didn't believe in Albert they would bring in a player that is able to, you know, play. Gaither is a player they took a flier on. Low risk high reward. They didn't bring him here to replace Albert.

BossChief
08-23-2011, 05:00 PM
If the team didn't believe in Albert they would bring in a player that is able to, you know, play. Gaither is a player they took a flier on. Low risk high reward. They didn't bring him here to replace Albert.

If they believed in Alberts ability to take the next step, the move never happens.

O.city
08-23-2011, 05:02 PM
If they believed in Alberts ability to take the next step, the move never happens.

Gotta say i'm siding with Boss on this one. I think they thought they could upgrade for cheap with Gaither and push albert

BossChief
08-23-2011, 05:09 PM
My honest opinion is that they feel that this is Alberts last chance year to show he is a guy that can take the next step in his career and begin to show his dominant ability.

They probably feel that Gaither is a ways away from being able to play either tackle position (health wise) and that if they signed him, in time he could be a guy they could insert into the OLT spot and he could be dominant at it.

The move obviously wasnt made as a immediate replacement, but as a fall back option.

Sure would be sweet if Albert takes that next step and that also goes for MC.

O.city
08-23-2011, 05:18 PM
My honest opinion is that they feel that this is Alberts last chance year to show he is a guy that can take the next step in his career and begin to show his dominant ability.

They probably feel that Gaither is a ways away from being able to play either tackle position (health wise) and that if they signed him, in time he could be a guy they could insert into the OLT spot and he could be dominant at it.

The move obviously wasnt made as a immediate replacement, but as a fall back option.

Sure would be sweet if Albert takes that next step and that also goes for MC.

While I also hope Albert takes the next step, do you not think our Oline would be better with Albert at LG and a healthy Gaither at LT?

BossChief
08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
While I also hope Albert takes the next step, do you not think our Oline would be better with Albert at LG and a healthy Gaither at LT?

duh

it would be even better yet with Gaither at RT and Albert taking the next step at LT.

O.city
08-23-2011, 05:21 PM
duh

it would be even better yet with Gaither at RT and Albert taking the next step at LT.

Think Albert would be better at RT?

I do agree tho, that would certainly lock down our T situation.

BossChief
08-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Albert has never played on the right side and I think it would be a huge mistake to move him there.

LT or LG

O.city
08-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Albert has never played on the right side and I think it would be a huge mistake to move him there.

LT or LG

Yeah that's true. Hadn't really thought of that. I think Gaither is (if healthy) good enough to play either position.

But from the way things are working out now he may not be able to stay healthy.

Direckshun
08-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Bump.

Count Alex's Losses
08-27-2011, 02:16 AM
http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/argh.gif

Just Passin' By
08-27-2011, 02:20 AM

Cassel's fault. He had a good 10 seconds to throw before pressure got there.

Count Alex's Losses
08-27-2011, 02:22 AM
You know, looking at the way Cassel receives that snap....I wonder if Wiegmann wasn't early.

BRich is late getting out, too.

BossChief
08-27-2011, 02:24 AM
Has to be Weigmanns fault.

Albert just stands there as his guy goes right on by.

veist
08-27-2011, 02:41 AM
Has to be Weigmanns fault.

Albert just stands there as his guy goes right on by.

Look at it though, fucking everyone but Weigman looks lost.

KCrockaholic
08-27-2011, 02:52 AM

The whole line is late off the ball. Asamoah just stays there bent over. Wiegmann came early...

KCrockaholic
08-27-2011, 02:54 AM
Look at it though, fucking everyone but Weigman looks lost.

Even Cassel is surprised.

I'd say Wiegmann heard the wrong snap count.

Direckshun
08-27-2011, 03:00 AM
Fascinating (and hilarious) gif.

Just an absolutely depressing game off the edge.

The ONLY bright spot, although it was a phenomenal bright spot, was watching Jared Gaither make Robert Quinn look like a medicine woman.

Count Alex's Losses
08-27-2011, 03:01 AM
Whoever's goddamn fault it is....we are fucked up right now.

Direckshun
08-27-2011, 03:03 AM
Yeah this organization needs to pull its head out of its ass.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too many talented people from top to bottom for the team to just look as clueless as it is at the current moment.

I'd say the lockout really fucked us up, we have just had zero burst in handling the difficulties it has presented.

Chocolate Hog
08-27-2011, 03:26 AM
Yeah this organization needs to pull its head out of its ass.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too many talented people from top to bottom for the team to just look as clueless as it is at the current moment.

I'd say the lockout really ****ed us up, we have just had zero burst in handling the difficulties it has presented.

So you think we start out slow? Looking at the schedule we could start out 3-1 or 4-1 which is what we'll have to do if we want to make the playoffs this year.

Direckshun
08-27-2011, 03:34 AM
So you think we start out slow? Looking at the schedule we could start out 3-1 or 4-1 which is what we'll have to do if we want to make the playoffs this year.

I'm not thinking playoffs this year. We share the division with a legit Super Bowl contender. Give them the division, I don't care.

I care about this team getting better, because we have a Super Bowl run in us here in a couple years.

Right now, I cannot say this team looks any better. I'd say its regressed.

Moeaki's regressed.

Richardson's regressed.

Cassel's regressed.

Studebaker's regressed.

Kendrick Lewis' regressed.

Both sides of the ball look like shit. Our tackles are the worst of a bad situation.

Count Alex's Losses
08-27-2011, 03:40 AM
Calm down, bro.

It's one game.

The defense looked really good in Baltimore.

Chocolate Hog
08-27-2011, 03:44 AM
I don't think San Diego is a super bowl team they were when they had one of the best rb's ever and Shawne Merriman. The o-line will be ok if Gaither can step in at LT. You know what nobody is talking bout but should be is how we've defended the middle of the field. We don't have shit at safety outside of Berry.

Count Alex's Losses
08-27-2011, 03:52 AM
Good news, I just saw Hali draw a holding call.

xztop12
08-27-2011, 04:02 AM

holy #($*#(*Q$*(# how can pioli sit in his nice cushy office and watch this? thx for the gif's btw

the Talking Can
08-27-2011, 04:03 AM

only the center moves

obviously a screw up on the snap count

TEX
08-27-2011, 07:17 AM
holy #($*#(*Q$*(# how can pioli sit in his nice cushy office and watch this? thx for the gif's btw

EXACTLY - and most want to blame Cassel...

ForeverChiefs58
08-27-2011, 12:05 PM

Albert is the only one that lets someone from the other team just run by him. Even if he doesn't know the count, at least stop the guy in front of you from running at the starting QB no matter what.

chiefzilla1501
08-27-2011, 12:08 PM
only the center moves

obviously a screw up on the snap count

I think it looks like even Cassel is caught by surprise.

whoman69
08-27-2011, 12:12 PM
This team is going to need to have the players stay after practice and work on getting their crap together. We look horrible everywhere. With the practice limitations its going to be on the players to work harder.

rocknrolla
08-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Whoever's goddamn fault it is....we are ****ed up right now.

THIS!