PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Nonsense Begets Nonsense … Monday Cup O’Chiefs

booger
08-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Nonsense Begets Nonsense … Monday Cup O’Chiefs
August 21, 2011 - Bob Gretz | Comments (2)

I hesitated to write yet again on the subject of the altercation between Jonathan Baldwin and Thomas Jones.

Understand, that despite the big old cast Baldwin is now wearing on his right wrist/thumb, teammates fighting in the locker room is not an unusual occurrence in the National Football League. It’s not unusual in Major League Baseball or the National Basketball Association and especially not in the National Hockey League. Put any number of testorine fueled men in close quarters and there will be disagreements. Often, those issues will be settled in a physical manner. And, seldom does the news escape the walls of the locker room.

When it does, there really isn’t anything that the players and team can do about it. In today’s Twitter-fed world, with cell phones that take pictures and savvy operators that know how to make the internet sing, it’s silliness to attempt a cover-up or worse, pretend like it didn’t happen at all.

That’s what the Chiefs have done with the Baldwin-Jones case. The nonsense of the altercation beget the nonsense of how the organization has handled the situation, creating a big pile of steaming, smelly nonsense.

What the Chiefs have done is made the life ahead even harder for Baldwin as he tries to rebound both mentally and physically from an incident that certainly had to dent his pride.

The powers that be with the Chiefs that created the organization’s handling of this affair were Clark Hunt and his minions, along with GM Scott Pioli. They actually promised the media Friday evening in Baltimore – including their own television and radio networks – that the incident would be addressed after the game by the club.

But then the only guy that stood up in front of the cameras was head coach Todd Haley, and his initial reaction was to act like he didn’t understand the questions being asked of him. It was a silly reaction and all that did was hurt Haley’s credibility.

Where was Pioli or Hunt? They weren’t anywhere near microphones. They ran from the controversy, something they’ve done for the previous two years. They send Haley out to take the arrows.

What should the Chiefs have done? It’s simple, and doesn’t require some personal valet to write a script or for lengthy discussion on the situation between the owner and his hired help. Haley should have said Friday night what he’s said many times before, and even what he said on Sunday:

“There was an incident in our locker room this week. As a result of that Jonathan Baldwin was injured and did not play this evening. It’s a situation within our family so we’ll have nothing further to say about the details. Like all families, there are sometimes disagreements within the group and we certainly don’t like to see anyone physically hurt. But it’s happened with all the teams I’ve been around over the years. Like those other occasions, it’s been addressed and the team is moving forward.”

A statement like that won’t stop the media questions, but it takes all the air out of the situation and before very long, the scribblers, yakkers, hairdos and bloggers move on to other subjects.

By running away from the incident on Friday night, the Chiefs turned an easy to understand incident from the locker room into a controversy. They took a molehill and pumped it into a mountain — a mountain of steaming, smelly nonsense.

They also have made it harder for Baldwin. Anybody can understand a disagreement with a family member – we’ve all had those. But by saying nothing and allowing the Twitter-sphere and media to lead the information charge, Baldwin’s personality is called into question. He’s labeled a bad guy, when he could have been labeled a precocious younger brother who tussled with his big bro and it got out of hand.

Maybe Baldwin’s personality should be questioned? But it certainly should not come from a locker room disagreement that got out of hand. And for sure it should not come to him because the people he works for are without any common sense in handling this situation.

Remember when you were a kid and you would cover your eyes and you thought that made you invisible because you couldn’t see? That’s how the Chiefs approach things like the Baldwin-Jones fracas. Since Hunt and Pioli have taken control of the franchise, the club’s approach to dealing with the public and by extension the media is to ignore common sense, cover their eyes and pretend like they can’t be seen.

The question that must be asked is why? What is the goal of the organization in disseminating information to the ticket buying public? What is their responsibility for providing the media with information, the media that informs the fans that every sports team cultivates and hopes to turn into consumers of their product, whether it’s tickets, jerseys, hats or pennants?

Let’s start with that last question – the Chiefs don’t owe the media anything. But it’s in their best interest to cooperate with the media horde and to provide a level of information that’s true.

There are only two things that should be in play with sports teams and the media that covers them:

No. 1 – Be accurate. That goes for both sides.
No. 2 – Be fair. That goes for both sides as well.

While they should feel a responsibility to provide their fans with information, the Chiefs feel they can do it themselves with their website, TV network and radio network. Yet, they turn around and treat their own organizations like children, denying them information on the Baldwin-Jones situation on Friday night.

Why are the Chiefs acting in this manner? Some would call it arrogance. I think it’s more likely ignorance. When Hunt and Pioli took over the franchise in 2009, they proceeded to scrub clean the entire organization of talented and experienced people at all levels of the operation.

Neither Hunt nor Pioli had ever operated an NFL team before. Sometimes Lamar Hunt let his son hold the Chiefs steering wheel, and Pioli was in the shotgun seat next to the guy running the Patriots in Bill Belichick. But these guys have never been in charge and their lack of experience has shown itself in many different ways. Most especially, it’s evident in how they handle controversy. They turn molehills into mountains time-after-time.

Whether arrogance or ignorance, it will be forgiven if the team wins; that’s a fact of life.

They’d better win.

griZZly64
08-22-2011, 12:51 AM
boo hoo

-King-
08-22-2011, 12:54 AM
KC media loves crying about how they don't get any information.

They need to realize that Pioli/Hunt can tell them whatever they want whenever they want.

NJChiefsFan
08-22-2011, 12:58 AM
So he is saying that he understands its a "family matter" type situation and knows there is no reason to talk about it, yet since Haley hasn't come out and said it he feels he needs to talk about it!? KC media never seems to stop out-doing itself.

xztop12
08-22-2011, 01:17 AM
So he is saying that he understands its a "family matter" type situation and knows there is no reason to talk about it, yet since Haley hasn't come out and said it he feels he needs to talk about it!? KC media never seems to stop out-doing itself.

No he is saying that the lesser informed kansas city media guys (Jack Harry) might make assumptions and or blow the situation out of proportion

KC Tattoo
08-22-2011, 01:39 AM
I am convinced with out a doubt that Haley & Pioli did and are doing the right thing in this matter. The Coaches have responsibility to protect his players from outside influences from the media. The players will respect them for it and this issue will resolve itself. No hard feelings that can be said about the coach from the players views, and it's the players and team well beeing that matters when it comes to playing a game of football.

This is not the Jerry Springer show.

Pawnmower
08-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Oh so all will be forgiven if we win? duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

threebag02
08-22-2011, 03:33 AM
a big pile of steaming, smelly nonsense.

chasedude
08-22-2011, 05:04 AM
There are only two things that should be in play with sports teams and the media that covers them:

No. 1 – Be accurate. That goes for both sides.
No. 2 – Be fair. That goes for both sides as well.

Pot painting the kettle black I see.

Deberg_1990
08-22-2011, 05:42 AM
Gretz lurking and stealing from Phobia?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=7838727&postcount=7

Phobia
08-22-2011, 06:00 AM
I think it’s more likely ignorance. When Hunt and Pioli took over the franchise in 2009, they proceeded to scrub clean the entire organization of talented and experienced people at all levels of the operation.

Neither Hunt nor Pioli had ever operated an NFL team before. Sometimes Lamar Hunt let his son hold the Chiefs steering wheel

Speaking of ignorance.... Lamar Hunt died in Dec of 2006. Clark has been running the team since then. I'm just wondering if Bob included himself when he's talking about the talented people who were scrubbed?

Chiefnj2
08-22-2011, 06:26 AM
I am convinced with out a doubt that Haley & Pioli did and are doing the right thing in this matter. The Coaches have responsibility to protect his players from outside influences from the media. The players will respect them for it and this issue will resolve itself. No hard feelings that can be said about the coach from the players views, and it's the players and team well beeing that matters when it comes to playing a game of football.

This is not the Jerry Springer show.

The next 10 times Baldwin steps in front of a microphone he's going to be asked questions about the incident because KC is doing the "ignore the man behind the curtain" act. Release enough info to squash the rumors and move on.

Okie_Apparition
08-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Carl Peterson has a hands free towel rack this morning. Bills paid for the month Gretz

Phobia
08-22-2011, 06:34 AM
When Hunt and Pioli took over the franchise in 2009, they proceeded to scrub clean the entire organization of talented and experienced people at all levels of the operation.

They even scrubbed the organization of talented made up people as well. Definitely do not miss Rufus Dawes whatsoever. What a complete joke that was.... classless and deranged.

DTLB58
08-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Funny how this story was the first one to bump his "Premium Subscriber story" from the top of his web site since it was posted.

He just "can't wait" for these Chiefs to fail so he can tell them how they were all oh so wrong in everything they did.

nstygma
08-22-2011, 07:46 AM
what is testorine? some energy drink?

Reerun_KC
08-22-2011, 08:03 AM
The next 10 times Baldwin steps in front of a microphone he's going to be asked questions about the incident because KC is doing the "ignore the man behind the curtain" act. Release enough info to squash the rumors and move on.

There is nothing to release...

Get over it...

gblowfish
08-22-2011, 08:18 AM
"The nonsense of the altercation beget the nonsense of how the organization has handled the situation, creating a big pile of steaming, smelly nonsense."

Takes one to know one....

L.A. Chieffan
08-22-2011, 08:21 AM
fuck that, i need to know if it was over a dice game or a ho. i need to know who threw down first and if gats were drawn. i need to know if they were still in pads or just their jocky straps. I NEED TO KNOE

FRCDFED
08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
(Haley steps to the mike)

uh hum (clears throat)

"I have a prepared statement for the media. Thanks to my new speach writer..."

“There was an incident in our locker room this week. As a result of that Jonathan Baldwin was injured and did not play this evening. It’s a situation within our family so we’ll have nothing further to say about the details. Like all families, there are sometimes disagreements within the group and we certainly don’t like to see anyone physically hurt. But it’s happened with all the teams I’ve been around over the years. Like those other occasions, it’s been addressed and the team is moving forward.”

"That is all."

gblowfish
08-22-2011, 08:49 AM
What happens in St. Joe stays in St. Joe...

Phobia
Derrrrrrrrrrrrr, uh - I don't understand the question... Huh?

Really, Haley?

Claynus
"they'd better win"

Yep, a rookie wide receiver who had no offseason was the key to our entire season.

If we have a losing record this year, it will surely be because Jonathan Baldwin and Thomas Jones got into a fight!

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Claynus
08-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I used to have a friend named Bob

Who loved 'ol Carl's fleshknob

He cursed and drank and talked shit on Whitlock

You know Bob was full aware

That Carl had dirty underwear

But even so he loved to suck his cock

Bob fucked him up (he fucked him up)

He went and fucked Scott up

Went and paid him back for all his wicked sins

He fucked him up (he fucked him up)

Fucked that Scott completely up

Now he's waitin' for more press conference spins

hawkchief
08-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Gretz is a complete douche.

That said, he's right this time - the Chiefs need to quit constantly playing the BS games with their fans. It's a GD football team, not a black-helicopter/special forces ops team. Pioli and Haley are quickly sliding down the slippery Carl Peterson slope.

It's no wonder the Chiefs can't sell any tickets - they continue to treat their fans like idiots, and they're getting their just-desserts.

Pestilence
08-22-2011, 10:32 AM

That said, he's right this time - the Chiefs need to quit constantly playing the BS games with their fans. It's a GD football team, not a black-helicopter/special forces ops team. Pioli and Haley are quickly sliding down the slippery Carl Peterson slope.

It's no wonder the Chiefs can't sell any tickets - they continue to treat their fans like idiots, and they're getting their just-desserts.

:facepalm:

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-22-2011, 10:42 AM

:doh!::facepalm::facepalm:

Sofa King
08-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Stop demanding information like you have a vote.

Otter
08-22-2011, 10:48 AM

The media, on all levels, has turned into a circus freak show. What more information would you have that you already don't if they held a press conference on the fight?

Let me fill ya in there sport:

"there was an altercation, it will be settled internally"
"he's a young kid and he's gonna make mistakes"
"we drafted him first round, wouldn't have done so if we didn't believe in him"

There's your press conference. **** the media and the circus they've become on all levels, I wouldn't talk to them either. Bunch of ass clowns trying to put on a Jerry Springer and tilt audience their way show instead of reporting the news.

philfree
08-22-2011, 10:48 AM
I've liked Gretz's coverage of the Chiefs but he's coming off like the rest of the butthurt K.C. press on this.

As a fan all I care about at this point is Baldwin healing up and playing ball.

BigRock
08-22-2011, 10:56 AM
When Hunt and Pioli took over the franchise in 2009, they proceeded to scrub clean the entire organization of talented and experienced people at all levels of the operation.

This theme filters into half the stuff Gretz writes. I take no pleasure from people losing their jobs, but if any franchise was ever in need of a complete enema, it was this one. Flush out that nasty Carl stank and start fresh.

But I enjoy the bizarre implication that if only Jean from accounting was still here then the Baldwin situation would have been handled better. Seriously, what "talented and experienced" person with a history of running a football organization does Bob wish they'd kept around to consult on matters like this? Pioli apparently got no experience in New England, but Denny Thum or somebody had gotten it here?

Retconning history to where Clark didn't take over the team until 2009 is also an interesting development.

Okie_Apparition
08-22-2011, 11:00 AM
It looks like no player tweets were made about this. So someone in the organization won/held their ground/something something something

philfree
08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
It looks like no player tweets were made about this. So someone in the organization won/held their ground/something something something

Good.

It's like the press thinks that Clark, Pioli and Haley should have immediately put out a youtube of the incident so everybody could see exactly what happened. Holtus could do the play by play.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Gretz lecturing,looking down his nose?

surely not, couldn't be,wouldn't happen

Chiefnj2
08-22-2011, 11:11 AM

Wait until the cuts. Some leaks will come out.

-King-
08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Wait until the cuts. Some leaks will come out.

Doubt it
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
08-22-2011, 11:18 AM
If you ask 5 questions and don't get 1 answer, not 1, you have no article.

There's nothing to write.

You go home, think of some other angle, and come back with some way to pry some new info out of the subject.

Unless you're Gretz.

Then you write an article about the fact you don't have $3it to say and the lack of info is based on the failures of someone else and proof that the GM/HC/Owner is fucking up.

Pull up a chair Gretz.

Odds are you'll get the real info about 20 minutes before the average fan...

boogblaster
08-22-2011, 11:35 AM
locker-room squabbles are nothing new .. lets get over it and play football ....

Chiefnj2
08-22-2011, 11:51 AM
locker-room squabbles are nothing new .. lets get over it and play football ....

How many draft picks suffered injuries caused by locker room fights and ended up missing 4-6 weeks?

HemiEd
08-22-2011, 11:55 AM
**** that, i need to know if it was over a dice game or a ho. i need to know who threw down first and if gats were drawn. i need to know if they were still in pads or just their jocky straps. I NEED TO KNOE
That is exactly the kind of questions that would follow, if they acknowledged the incident.

Messier
08-22-2011, 11:58 AM
How many draft picks suffered injuries caused by locker room fights and ended up missing 4-6 weeks?

WHere is 4-6 weeks coming from? Who even has official word on the injury?

That's a guess from the media. Some are willing to admit they don't know how long he's out, others (Nick Wright) act like they've talked to the team doctor.

DaWolf
08-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Wow. All I want is guys who can win a super bowl, not guys who know PR.

If these guys can't bring home a Lombardi, eliminate them. If they don't know PR, who cares...

NJChiefsFan
08-22-2011, 12:31 PM
No he is saying that the lesser informed kansas city media guys (Jack Harry) might make assumptions and or blow the situation out of proportion

By writing the article for no reason, he is the one that is blowing it out of proportion. Claiming the Front Office is handling it wrong is in itself blown out of proportion and that is all on him.

HemiEd
08-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Wow. All I want is guys who can win a super bowl, not guys who know PR.

If these guys can't bring home a Lombardi, eliminate them. If they don't know PR, who cares...

That is nice and all, but first and foremost, it is a business.