PDA

View Full Version : Environment Record-setting Earthquake in D.C. | Obama's Fault.

orange
08-23-2011, 02:29 PM
A major earthquake struck the D.C. area on Tuesday afternoon, striking fear in residents and forcing the evacuation of government buildings, including the White House, Pentagon and Capitol, and shaking homes and structures up and down the East Coast.

The quake, measured at 5.9 on the Richter Scake, was felt from the Carolinas to New England, and as far west as Ohio, according to reports. It even reached Martha’s Vineyard, where President Barack Obama is vacationing.

The largest quake previously recorded in the D.C. area was a 3.6 tremor in 2010. By comparison, the Tuesday quake was nearly 2,800 times stronger.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61928.html#ixzz1VskSYUZA

orange
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
p.s.

MSNBC reported several nuclear power plants in the mid-Atlantic region reported “unusual activity” after the tremor.

KC Dan
08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Interestingly, his trip to Martha's Vineyard nicely dovetailed with this event. Planned? :D

Radar Chief
08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
p.s.

MSNBC reported several nuclear power plants in the mid-Atlantic region reported “unusual activity” after the tremor.

Chance favors the prepared mind. /Travis Dane

alpha_omega
08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Absolutely not! It's Bush's fault!

Iowanian
08-23-2011, 03:17 PM
That wasn't an earthquake, it was Obama's credibility as a leader bouncing off of rock bottom.

Never fear peasants, upon his return, Dear Leader shall appoint an earthquake panel to look into what we've done wrong as a nation to bring this upon ourselves.

Jaric
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Just another example of Obama in bed with Big-Earthquake.

NO EARTHQUAKES FOR OIL!!!!

KILLER_CLOWN
08-23-2011, 03:28 PM
This wouldn't have happened in Kenya.

orange
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Oddly enough:

Colorado shaken by its biggest quake in decades
WASHINGTON | Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:42am EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 5.3 magnitude earthquake, the biggest in the state in some four decades, shook Colorado late on Monday in an area of the United States where quakes are rare, the U.S. Geological Survey said on Tuesday.

The quake struck at 11:46 p.m. Monday night 180 miles south of Denver and 20 miles northwest of Raton, New Mexico, at a depth of 2.5 miles.

Area media reported minor damage to some homes but no injuries or deaths.

"It's a seismically active area so it's not unheard of that you would have an earthquake in this area," USGS National Earthquake Information Center geophysicist Julie Dutton told Reuters Tuesday morning from Golden, Colorado. "But to have a 5.3 anywhere in Colorado, let alone in this area, is rare."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/23/us-quake-colorado-idUSTRE77M37U20110823?feedType=RSS

blaise
08-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Just more bad luck that will keep Obama from healing the world. Someday all the bad luck will be gone and he'll be able to succeed. He just needs like 40 more years.

vailpass
08-23-2011, 04:08 PM
p.s.

Perhaps obama could personally inspect the cores of those plants in question sans protective garb. His superior intellect alone would shield him from harmful rays. A few weeks later we can watch that tap-dancing bullshitter give us another speech while spitting out teeth and losing clumps of tight and curlys.

orange
08-23-2011, 07:52 PM
@TheTweetOfGod: There was just a 5.8 earthquake in Washington. Obama wanted it to be 3.4, but the Republicans wanted 5.8, so he compromised.

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-23-2011, 07:56 PM
@TheTweetOfGod: There was just a 5.8 earthquake in Washington. Obama wanted it to be 3.4, but the Republicans wanted 5.8, so he compromised.

Okay, I lold

Bewbies
08-23-2011, 09:53 PM

This is quality.

Twitter today proved that American's have a great sense of humor when it pertains to politics.

Bewbies
08-23-2011, 09:56 PM
A few of my fav's:

Breaking from Jay Carney: "We apologize for the disturbance, the president's ego collapsed under the weight of all his bullshit."

@comradescott: Evidently the quake occurred on a little known fault line outside of DC called "Bush's Fault"

@calebhowe: Breaking: Obama administration points out they "inherited" fault lines from previous administrations.

"that wasn't an earthquake, it was our forefathers rolling over in their graves."

blaise
08-23-2011, 10:40 PM
This is quality.

Twitter today proved that American's have a great sense of humor when it pertains to politics.

It also showed the "Republicans say it's Obama's fault" was done to death 45 minutes after the quake.

RINGLEADER
08-24-2011, 07:20 AM
I saw where Paul Krugman (recently of "an alien invasion would convince governments to deficit spend and save the economy" fame) was lamenting the quake wasn't bigger so it would stimulate the economy. Seriously, I'm starting to believe he has lost his mind.

If only there had been more death and destruction we could have finally had a reason that justified trillions more in debt.

mlyonsd
08-24-2011, 07:49 AM
I saw where Paul Krugman (recently of "an alien invasion would convince governments to deficit spend and save the economy" fame) was lamenting the quake wasn't bigger so it would stimulate the economy. Seriously, I'm starting to believe he has lost his mind.

If only there had been more death and destruction we could have finally had a reason that justified trillions more in debt.WWII was awesome that way.

Baby Lee
08-24-2011, 08:14 AM
I liked the one on Sully

"I felt the quake last week

Hipster Douchebag"

ROYC75
08-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Obama will soon be on TV claiming the Big Jolt was our economy & unemployment hitting rock bottom and prosperity is around the corner largely from himself and his economics advisers hard work.

orange
08-24-2011, 11:40 AM

If only there had been more death and destruction we could have finally had a reason that justified trillions more in debt.

How a hoax about Paul Krugman and the earthquake fooled online pundits

By Zachary Roth

Senior National Affairs Reporter

Yesterday's earthquake offered a reminder of something we really should have learned by now: You can't take everything on the internet at face value.

Not long after the quake, Tim Carney of the conservative Washington Examiner joked in a tweet that liberal New York Times political columnist Paul Krugman thought it hadn't been big enough -- presumably because more damage would have led to more government spending in response, which could create economic growth. (This is Washington humor, remember.)

That looks to have given Carlos Guterol an idea. A recent college grad, Guterol had previously created a fake Google+ account under Krugman's name, with the aim of ridiculing the Times columnist. Guterol, under Krugman's name, posted the following message:

People on twitter might be joking, but in all seriousness, we would see a bigger boost in spending and hence economic growth if the earthquake had done more damage.

Carney was fooled. He quickly sent another Tweet telling followers that Krugman "seriously" believed the earthquake was too small. (Carney has since deleted the tweet and acknowledged his error.)

From there, the hoax spread throughout the conservative online media world. National Review writer Kevin Williamson was one of the few to express a degree of skepticism, writing: "I honestly cannot tell if I am being had here. I hope I am."

This morning, Guterol wrote a blog post confessing to the hoax. He expressed no remorse, noting that after both 9/11 and the earthquake in Japan Krugman had written those events could have an expansionary effect on the economy, by triggering government spending.

Krugman told Slate's David Weigel no one contacted him to verify whether the Google+ profile was really his. He also wrote a blog post for the Times making clear he doesn't have a Google+ page.

"Apparently some people can't find enough things to attack in what I actually say, so they're busy creating fake quotes," he wrote.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/krugman-quake-hoax-fools-pundits-150341935.html

Seriously, I already know the right has lost its mind. And it ain't easy to find a pea once you've lost it.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-24-2011, 03:55 PM

By Zachary Roth

Yesterday's earthquake offered a reminder of something we really should have learned by now: You can't take everything on the internet at face value.

Not long after the quake, Tim Carney of the conservative Washington Examiner joked in a tweet that liberal New York Times political columnist Paul Krugman thought it hadn't been big enough -- presumably because more damage would have led to more government spending in response, which could create economic growth. (This is Washington humor, remember.)

That looks to have given Carlos Guterol an idea. A recent college grad, Guterol had previously created a fake Google+ account under Krugman's name, with the aim of ridiculing the Times columnist. Guterol, under Krugman's name, posted the following message:

People on twitter might be joking, but in all seriousness, we would see a bigger boost in spending and hence economic growth if the earthquake had done more damage.

Carney was fooled. He quickly sent another Tweet telling followers that Krugman "seriously" believed the earthquake was too small. (Carney has since deleted the tweet and acknowledged his error.)

From there, the hoax spread throughout the conservative online media world. National Review writer Kevin Williamson was one of the few to express a degree of skepticism, writing: "I honestly cannot tell if I am being had here. I hope I am."

This morning, Guterol wrote a blog post confessing to the hoax. He expressed no remorse, noting that after both 9/11 and the earthquake in Japan Krugman had written those events could have an expansionary effect on the economy, by triggering government spending.

Krugman told Slate's David Weigel no one contacted him to verify whether the Google+ profile was really his. He also wrote a blog post for the Times making clear he doesn't have a Google+ page.

"Apparently some people can't find enough things to attack in what I actually say, so they're busy creating fake quotes," he wrote.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/krugman-quake-hoax-fools-pundits-150341935.html

Seriously, I already know the right has lost its mind. And it ain't easy to find a pea once you've lost it.

To Curb Internet Terrorism we need a new branch of cybersecurity, that should fix it.

BucEyedPea
08-24-2011, 10:07 PM
[INDENT]

Pea is here! Such a hoax is entirely believable because Krugman has has made "Broken Window" fallacy* statements before and many of his followers not only believed this but support this idea. Say what you want but Krugman is a "Broken Window" aficionado.

And yes, this does mean that the nuclear catastrophe could end up being expansionary, if not for Japan then at least for the world as a whole. If this sounds crazy, well, liquidity-trap economics is like that — remember, World War II ended the Great Depression.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/meltdown-macroeconomics/

Even Donger supports the "Broken Window."

BucEyedPea
08-24-2011, 10:11 PM
DC being destroyed by a quake would revive America but not for the reasons Krugman thinks.
More like a modern version of Sodom & Gomorrah being wiped out. Corruption and evil being destroyed—temporarily anyway.

RINGLEADER
08-25-2011, 12:12 AM

By Zachary Roth

Well I'm glad to know that the extent of Krugman's advocacy for death and destruction is limited to alien invasions.

But I do seem to recall him stoking the benefits of the Japanese tsunami in a TV appearance so you can understand where one might believe an article that disected this supposed belief.

But thank you for clarifying! Now Krugman can go back to pining for the days of Nazi genocide (and the aforementioned alien invasion) as the cure for what ails the economy.

orange
08-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Well I'm glad to know that the extent of Krugman's advocacy for death and destruction is limited to alien invasions.

But I do seem to recall him stoking the benefits of the Japanese tsunami in a TV appearance so you can understand where one might believe an article that disected this supposed belief.

But thank you for clarifying! Now Krugman can go back to pining for the days of Nazi genocide (and the aforementioned alien invasion) as the cure for what ails the economy.

Because saying how you can pick up the pieces is exactly like saying we should break things. Keep searching for that pea.

BucEyedPea
08-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Keep searching for that pea.

Here!