PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Bloomberg Bans Clergy From 9/11 Ceremony but Ground Zero Mosque OK

petegz28
08-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Religious leaders are calling on Mayor Michael Bloomberg to reverse course and offer clergy a role in the ceremony commemorating the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.

Rudy Washington, a deputy mayor in former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani's administration, said he's outraged. Mr. Washington organized an interfaith ceremony at Yankee Stadium shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

"This is America, and to have a memorial service where there's no prayer, this appears to be insanity to me," said Mr. Washington, who has suffered severe medical problems connected to the time he spent at Ground Zero. Read more at wsj.com.

========================================================================

Bloomberg Defends Ground Zero Mosque as Freedom-of-Faith Issue

In his fiercest defense yet of the mosque proposed near Ground Zero, Mayor Bloomberg declared yesterday that it must be allowed to proceed because the government "shouldn't be in the business of picking" one religion over another.

"I think it's fair to say if somebody was going to try, on that piece of property, to build a church or a synagogue, nobody would be yelling and screaming," the mayor said.

"And the fact of the matter is that Muslims have a right to do it, too." Read more at nypost.com.

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/sept-11/2011/08/24/bloomberg-bans-clergy-911-ceremony-ground-zero-mosque-ok#ixzz1W0HACWg0

petegz28
08-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Ok, as most here know, I am not a "christian" but I think there is something severly wrong with this scenario

Brock
08-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I fail to see the hypocrisy you seem to think you're pointing out.

Warrior5
08-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I wonder what Bloomberg's reason is for this... has he stated why?

CoMoChief
08-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I fail to see the hypocrisy you seem to think you're pointing out.

Really? Lol

Pants
08-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Really? Lol

So you think Bloomberg wouldn't allow a church to be built on Ground Zero?

Donger
08-25-2011, 11:46 AM
"I think it's fair to say if somebody was going to try, on that piece of property, to build a church or a synagogue, nobody would be yelling and screaming," the mayor said.

"And the fact of the matter is that Muslims have a right to do it, too." Read more at nypost.com.

That's probably true, since the terrorists who committed 9/11 were neither Jews nor Christians.

CoMoChief
08-25-2011, 11:59 AM
So you think Bloomberg wouldn't allow a church to be built on Ground Zero?

Lol way to spin that....

Has nothing to do with a church being built there or not, however I do think he would allow a church to be built there...but that's besides the point here.

Pants
08-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Lol way to spin that....

Has nothing to do with a church being built there or not, however I do think he would allow a church to be built there...but that's besides the point here.

I'm not spinning anything. You're just too stupid to realize that there is no hypocrisy there. The two issues are completely separate. Would you be OK if an Imam was there to give service along with the Father? A Rabbi?

This argument is out of your league, bro.

Brock
08-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Really? Lol

YA RLY!

Brock
08-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Lol way to spin that....

The government needs to stay out of religious arguments altogether. "Allow them to build?" Really?

KILLER_CLOWN
08-25-2011, 02:52 PM
That's probably true, since the terrorists who committed 9/11 were neither Jews nor Christians.

nor Muslims, nor Hindu, nor Buddhists etc.

Donger
08-25-2011, 03:00 PM
nor Muslims, nor Hindu, nor Buddhists etc.

That's just silly. They claimed that they were Muslims and acted in the name of Islam.

evenfall
08-25-2011, 03:20 PM
To be fair, liberals do dislike all religion - it competes with the monolithic state for your allegiance.

They just choose only to act on that hate toward one religion, in this era of history.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-25-2011, 03:32 PM
That's just silly. They claimed that they were Muslims and acted in the name of Islam.

Silly that they were going to strip clubs drinking liquor? I suppose you could say Mcveigh was a Christian too, but I certainly don't accept him as one.

BucEyedPea
08-25-2011, 03:34 PM
I think atheists with Wiccans should deliver the convocation.
or

How 'bout some Freemasons with their deism and religious tolerance to set an example for all sides?

Donger
08-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Silly that they were going to strip clubs drinking liquor? I suppose you could say Mcveigh was a Christian too, but I certainly don't accept him as one.

I think it's pretty clear that they weren't very "good" Muslims.

BucEyedPea
08-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Gee, I thought it was a political act. :hmmm:

KILLER_CLOWN
08-25-2011, 03:38 PM

So the fact that they claimed to be something they are not really has no bearing, especially the "Muslim Extremist" approach.

BucEyedPea
08-25-2011, 03:39 PM
So the fact that they claimed to be something they are not really has no bearing, especially the "Muslim Extremist" approach.

Or it being Islamofascismódespite probably being drugged up to do the deed.

petegz28
08-25-2011, 03:43 PM
I think atheists with Wiccans should deliver the convocation.
or

How 'bout some Freemasons with their deism and religious tolerance to set an example for all sides?

Better watch it with the Wiccan talk....:#

Donger
08-25-2011, 03:43 PM

No, it just makes them bad Muslims with regard to the alcohol part. Perhaps the intentional murder of 3,000 Americans, too.

petegz28
08-25-2011, 03:44 PM
To be fair, liberals do dislike all religion - it competes with the monolithic state for your allegiance.

They just choose only to act on that hate toward one religion that most of them belong too and fear no recourse from.

FYP

BucEyedPea
08-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Better watch it with the Wiccan talk....:#

I was being tongue and cheek. (Although, I gotta admit my OBGYN did Wiccan deliveries at the hospital and cut the umbilical with a big long dagger. It was kinda cool!)

petegz28
08-25-2011, 03:50 PM
I was being tongue and cheek. (Although, I gotta admit my OBGYN did Wiccan deliveries at the hospital and cut the umbilical with a big long dagger. It was kinda cool!)

Daggers are cool....:D

BucEyedPea
08-25-2011, 03:51 PM
No, it just makes them bad Muslims with regard to the alcohol part. Perhaps the intentional murder of 3,000 Americans, too.

Was it okay for us with the UN to kill an estimated 100,000 to over 1.5 million Iraqi civilians with complete financial and trade embargo?

Or are you like Madeleine Albright who said it was well worth it?

Do you see how this could result in any blowback for America? Or should places like that just lie down and take it?

I think I know your answers anyway.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-25-2011, 03:51 PM

Plus dating the Dirty heathen strippers, after all they supposedly had 9 billion virgins waiting for them.

BucEyedPea
08-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Plus dating the Dirty heathen strippers, after all they supposedly had 9 billion virgins waiting for them.

Don't forget they trained in Florida. The question remains: Why hasn't Donger supported invading my state or dropping a bomb on the flight schools here?

evenfall
08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
FYP

If you are gonna fix my post, please fix your grammar first.

petegz28
08-25-2011, 04:53 PM
If you are gonna fix my post, please fix your grammar first.

Wasn't worth the effort to correct

Dave Lane
08-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Ok, as most here know, I am not a "christian" but I think there is something severly wrong with this scenario

Why?

Dave Lane
08-25-2011, 05:01 PM

They just choose only to act on that hate toward one religion, in this era of history.

Yeah thats the ticket. Well thought out post.

Dave Lane
08-25-2011, 05:02 PM
And to Pete's original post why is it that clergy and pray are required for everything now? Pretty soon it will be required for bowel movements.

petegz28
08-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Why?

Given the tragedy of 9/11 and the fact that this country is mostly christian and that this was an interfaith deal I see no reason to tell people they can't do this.

Warrior5
08-26-2011, 04:58 AM
Still trying to figure out the reason for banning clergy.

Bloomberg's spokesperson said that this event is supposed to focus on the families, so religion and politics will be kept out of it. OK.

So in that spirit, we shouldn't expect any rendition of Amazing Grace to be played, even the bagpipe version?

blaise
08-26-2011, 06:29 AM
I don't have a problem. One is a business decision and the other is a government organized and run activity.
Nothing's stopping any individual speaker, that's been invited to speak, from saying a prayer I wouldn't think. They just don't want clergy.

Radar Chief
08-26-2011, 09:21 AM
And to Pete's original post why is it that clergy and pray are required for everything now? Pretty soon it will be required for bowel movements.

:spock: Do you think its some kind of new development that clergy and prayer are involved in ceremonies remembering the deceased?

go bowe
08-26-2011, 11:37 PM
:spock: Do you think its some kind of new development that clergy and prayer are involved in ceremonies remembering the deceased?

new development?

not hardly, and the ceremony should include all major faiths...

with dave representing the atheists...

now that would be a ceremony... :) :) :)