PDA

View Full Version : Education (Big) College Conspiracy

KILLER_CLOWN
08-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Posted for Cal Country! ;)

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VpZtX32sKVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BucEyedPea
08-25-2011, 04:01 PM
#1 Most employers don't care what college you went to

#2 A fair amount of college is a scam, particularly the costs vis-a-vis large auditorium-style classes taught by teaching assistants, but it is not all worthless.

#3 Florida is going up 15% a year in a horrible economy in a low wage state. Admittedly it was too low—among the lowest in the nation but it's already hit a total of a 50% increase.

I knew about the textbooks scam but there are now places that rent them. The markets wins again. But they're still crooks.

Jenson71
08-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Can we get a summary of the hour long video?

Jenson71
08-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I knew about the textbooks scam but there are now places that rent them. The markets wins again. But they're still crooks.

What is the textbook scam?

Ebolapox
08-25-2011, 09:20 PM
What is the textbook scam?

they're ridiculously expensive; the prices are jacked up to fuck with students, new editions every few fucking years (especially in subjects that don't need new editions that often), etc.

Discuss Thrower
08-25-2011, 09:27 PM
they're ridiculously expensive; the prices are jacked up to fuck with students, new editions every few fucking years (especially in subjects that don't need new editions that often), etc.

My college bookstore will sell a used book for nearly full price like $85-$100, you can return it with no discernible damage and get maybe $10-$30 bucks for it. They'll turn around and sell the same thing for $80+ again.

Jenson71
08-25-2011, 09:34 PM
they're ridiculously expensive; the prices are jacked up to **** with students, new editions every few ****ing years (especially in subjects that don't need new editions that often), etc.

The prices are high, but is there an alternative to the current price of a new chemistry book? And how do we make them lower?

As for the new editions the professors make kids get, I do think that's something that can be and often should be determined by the professors.

BucEyedPea
08-25-2011, 09:35 PM
they're ridiculously expensive; the prices are jacked up to **** with students, new editions every few ****ing years (especially in subjects that don't need new editions that often), etc.
He can't see that in the video. Geez, is this what college produces? :banghead:

BucEyedPea
08-25-2011, 09:37 PM
My college bookstore will sell a used book for nearly full price like $85-$100, you can return it with no discernible damage and get maybe $10-$30 bucks for it. They'll turn around and sell the same thing for $80+ again.

Oh yeah, that's another scam. I have a bunch here from my kid's Dual Enrollment classes and all her college prep stuff. I think I'm gonna advertise on my own though.

BucEyedPea
08-25-2011, 09:41 PM

Yeah, and the new edition has one minor change too.

My kid bought a Cultural Anthropology that was PAPERBACK and that was over a hundred bucks! I got it for $70 at Amazon.
It was even loaded with PC crap and I have to pay for it too!

Reaper16
08-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Textbooks are a major scam. It sucks having to tell my students that they have to buy a new edition of a book for $80 instead of the previous version for $50 on Amazon. As I told them the other day, "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Jenson71
08-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Textbooks are a major scam. It sucks having to tell my students that they have to buy a new edition of a book for $80 instead of the previous version for $50 on Amazon. As I told them the other day, "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Is that mandated by the Department?

NewChief
08-26-2011, 06:38 AM

I teach a Freshman Comp. class now, and mine have to buy this huge 3 volume anthology set, one volume of which is poetry and another of which is drama. The third is fiction. We might, maybe maybe do one play out of the Drama anthology.

Textbook companies are going to shoot themselves in the foot. My English Department is talking about abandoning text books altogether and just buying standalones of the works we all do. So much of the crap that fills our textbooks is in the public domain anyway.

Garcia Bronco
08-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Wait until kids really start carrying tablets. They won't be able to charge that much.

Ebolapox
08-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Wait until kids really start carrying tablets. They won't be able to charge that much.

sure they will. sadly enough, 'online' versions, PDFs, and ebook versions are all fucking expensive as well. I had the option of getting the kindle edition of my immunology book for grad school this semester--it was freaking 120 bucks (compared to 130 for the actual hardback textbook)... huge bargain there, I can't sell back the ebook.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 07:40 AM

It's already happening. A town here replaced their entire school library with Kindles. The market comes to the rescue again.

I also think the brick and mortar colleges will eventually go by the wayside too. Not totally but enough. The maintenance on those is expensive.
Gary North had a great article on how to get through college for $15k using AP, dual enrollment, Clep and online. I think you miss out in some ways doing that but if a person really wants it and can't afford it....it's a way. I got my kid through a semester for free. Then I spent most of the last year hunting and applying for scholarships. I got her room paid for this way.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 07:44 AM
sure they will. sadly enough, 'online' versions, PDFs, and ebook versions are all ****ing expensive as well. I had the option of getting the kindle edition of my immunology book for grad school this semester--it was freaking 120 bucks (compared to 130 for the actual hardback textbook)... huge bargain there, I can't sell back the ebook.

O.M.G. That is shocking. I just bet that's due to a deal with the schools though.

Jenson71
08-26-2011, 07:53 AM
It's already happening. A town here replaced their entire school library with Kindles. The market comes to the rescue again.

I also think the brick and mortar colleges will eventually go by the wayside too. Not totally but enough. The maintenance on those is expensive.
Gary North had a great article on how to get through college for $15k using AP, dual enrollment, Clep and online. I think you miss out in some ways doing that but if a person really wants it and can't afford it....it's a way. I got my kid through a semester for free. Then I spent most of the last year hunting and applying for scholarships. I got her room paid for this way.

You actually searched and filled out your daughter's scholarship applications?

Brock
08-26-2011, 11:35 AM
You actually searched and filled out your daughter's scholarship applications?

Helicopter parent.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Both of us did it. She did some. I did more searches because I'm the one who has to pay for it and it helps me out and I had more time than her.
Her school ( umbrella school in her case) has to have the parents fill out the original info for one. She did all the rest like essays, artwork for contests, and applications and getting some letters although her DE profs offered letters. This way we could find and do more of them with two people on it, and division of labor which is more efficient. Then she could study to keep her grades and scores up for tests. You have to do a lot of these to just get one. She got two with most of it paid for—without the force of taxing others.

You both sound jealous.

Contrary to what you may think, with inadequate information, I do not hover over my daughter. A parent is supposed to be involved in their child's education and when they are the kid does better. I just happened to have been homeschooling her and was her GC as a result. She's very independent and made her own decisions on her career and where to attend college and I worked with that. I still have to pay for most of it.

I don't need snide remarks from those who've NEVER had any children especially when they have to pay for college. This helps me out a LOT.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Helicopter parent.

Do you have any kids?

I know another single mom that did them for her daughter and got $20,000. :clap: Eat your hearts out.

I bought those books on How to go to College for Free and read them. I had always planned on putting my money into her lower education and paying less later. Thought of this plan when she started Kindergarten and it worked.

Jenson71
08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
You both sound jealous.

I don't need snide remarks from those who've NEVER had any children especially when they have to pay for college. This helps me out a LOT.

I'm sort of jealous. My parents never paid for my tuition in college. Just my books, as long as I made it on the Dean's List.

And if I wanted a scholarship, I had to go out and get it myself.

Rain Man
08-26-2011, 11:51 AM

How does this business model still exist? Why do students not just sell them to each other? Why are there not Internet sites where they can buy and sell textbooks?

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm sort of jealous. My parents never paid for my tuition in college. Just my books, as long as I made it on the Dean's List.

And if I wanted a scholarship, I had to go out and get it myself.

I basically told her she had to earn it which could be through more scholarship or large debts. I discouraged the large debt others take for granted and advised her that she had the grades/scores and ability to earn scholarships and I would help her with it.

She was told she had to get a job this summer to pay for her books though and spending money. She was lucky to land a job due to knowing a CEO of a company still doing well during this depression. I mainly have an issue with the huge amount of debt college puts kids in at the start of their adult lives. I have major disagreements with it. I think kids should be able to work their way through, as they did at one time, when the cost was more reasonable.

vailpass
08-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Both of us did it. She did some. I did more searches because I'm the one who has to pay for it and it helps me out and I had more time than her.
Her school ( umbrella school in her case) has to have the parents fill out the original info for one. She did all the rest like essays, artwork for contests, and applications and getting some letters although her DE profs offered letters. This way we could find and do more of them with two people on it, and division of labor which is more efficient. Then she could study to keep her grades and scores up for tests. You have to do a lot of these to just get one. She got two with most of it paid for—without the force of taxing others.

You both sound jealous.

Contrary to what you may think, with inadequate information, I do not hover over my daughter. A parent is supposed to be involved in their child's education and when they are the kid does better. I just happened to have been homeschooling her and was her GC as a result. She's very independent and made her own decisions on her career and where to attend college and I worked with that. I still have to pay for most of it.

If you stated you gave your daughter zero assistance they'd berate you for being non-caring.
No parent ever has to justify working with their children to show them how to attain the best for themselves, and you certainly don't need to explain yourself to the childless.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 12:01 PM
How does this business model still exist? Why do students not just sell them to each other? Why are there not Internet sites where they can buy and sell textbooks?

Some, at least the local CC here, had a swap area on their site for these. But mine never found anything of use there. She found one textbook on Craig's list and one via Alibris used books. I used a swap on a site for homeschoolers and was able to get some good money back on some textbooks which I already bought used there. Those were for HS level though but was still a great resource. Lots of homeschooling parents were buying and selling materials.

There's rental bookstores now. I got a College Algebra textbook for a semester for $35 to rent. Then you send it back to them by a certain date. This helps get around the edition changes, some of which are minor.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 12:03 PM
If you stated you gave your daughter zero assistance they'd berate you for being non-caring.
No parent ever has to justify working with their children to show them how to attain the best for themselves, and you certainly don't need to explain yourself to the childless.

Thank you vailpass. This is very appreciated.

SuperChief
08-26-2011, 12:03 PM
I hate buying textbooks. It's a ****ing joke. It's never been worse for me than this semester, when I had to purchase a textbook written by, who else, my professor. So basically, he's requiring me to make him money. Stupid. $90 down the drain.

On the other hand, I have an Econ professor that I have quite frequently who lets us choose whatever version of the required text we would like. I usually end up spending about 6-8 bucks on his books :D

Brock
08-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Thanks white knight.

Ace Gunner
08-26-2011, 12:15 PM
interesting video. I'm an air force brat. When the time came, I applied for the AF. When I was excepted, I told my dad. He asked why I wanted to join, I said college. He said the military isn't at all what it used to be and told me it's better to simply work and go to school. So, I did that. He was a 25 year military man with 2 degrees and a masters. I declined to sign up for the AF. I paid my way through college, two degrees also.

I was raised to never ask for $, not even from your parents. I left home after HS, put myself through college, worked in my specialties a few years and got tired of the layoffs and pressure of downsized america. My kids are taught these same values. I started a couple of biz and still run my own. What I have done has very little to do with my specialties and much to do with thinking for myself.

College is good. It keeps me fresh. It enriches my life in many ways not related to wealth but more related to perspective. Thanks for posting the video.

vailpass
08-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks white knight.

You know I'm anything but. It's a parent thing, you wouldn't understand.

Discuss Thrower
08-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Some of us do just that. It helps being in a fraternity. At the same time it sucks if you're only one of two dudes majoring in English in a chapter of nothing but pre-med, architecture, or business students.

I just dropped $75 on about 12 books, mostly literature.

But to avoid the college bookstore it's easy to amazon something or go to the book exchanges around town.

Reaper16
08-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Some of us do just that. It helps being in a fraternity. At the same time it sucks if you're only one of two dudes majoring in English in a chapter of nothing but pre-med, architecture, or business students.

I just dropped $75 on about 12 books, mostly literature.

But to avoid the college bookstore it's easy to amazon something or go to the book exchanges around town.
English majors have it great, what are you talking about? Instead of dropping $75 on a single textbook, you get 12 awesome books. Plus, you get to Amazon them because edition rarely matters (unless you're working out of a very specific translation of something).

Discuss Thrower
08-26-2011, 04:07 PM
English majors have it great, what are you talking about? Instead of dropping $75 on a single textbook, you get 12 awesome books. Plus, you get to Amazon them because edition rarely matters (unless you're working out of a very specific translation of something).

From the standpoint we can't get a similar knockdown on prices when buying off a friend/

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 04:36 PM
That's good to know since my daughter is going to be an English Major ( with a Creative Writing emphasis.) Who wouldn't want to own classics forever anyway?

I didn't know you taught English.

Brock
08-26-2011, 04:50 PM
That's good to know since my daughter is going to be an English Major ( with a Creative Writing emphasis.) Who wouldn't want to own classics forever anyway?

Good thing you're getting a deal on that education.

Baby Lee
08-26-2011, 04:55 PM

One thing I've noticed, at Washington Univ. the ONLY way to find out what your textbooks are is to either go to the bookstore and find it on the shelf, or wait until the first class where it's listed on the syllabus. They also put the info [pdf of syllabus] on the class website, but only after that first class.

I'm certain there's some bookstore arm twisting going on.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 05:22 PM
One thing I've noticed, at Washington Univ. the ONLY way to find out what your textbooks are is to either go to the bookstore and find it on the shelf, or wait until the first class where it's listed on the syllabus. They also put the info [pdf of syllabus] on the class website, but only after that first class.

They put them on the website with the course info and teacher name before the class with the ISBN numbers.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Good thing you're getting a deal on that education.

Why? Are you gonna be another person on the internet, as well as in person to blindly tell me how there are no careers you can make a living at with that major without ever researching the facts on it because you think in cliches or boring middle-class jobs are the only jobs?

She will have to go onto another school after this that isn't cheap or a deal—yet. That would be USC. That's where she will get her specialized training in the New Media.

Jenson71
08-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Why? Are you gonna be another person on the internet, as well as in person to blindly tell me how there are no careers you can make a living at with that major without ever researching the facts on it because you think in cliches or boring middle-class jobs are the only jobs?

She will have to go onto another school after this that isn't cheap or a deal—yet. That would be USC. That's where she will get her specialized training in the New Media.

She's going to Univ. of Southern California for New Media?

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 05:34 PM
She's going to Univ. of Southern California for New Media?

After FSU. It would just be the certificate program though and they are well connected to that industry with apprenticeships.

Jenson71
08-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Good luck to her. If that's what she wants to do, it will take some keeping the eye on the ball.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Good luck to her. If that's what she wants to do, it will take some keeping the eye on the ball.

Thanks. She has the required skills and the ability for it. The core skill is writing — both fiction and non-fiction. If they can render a scene visually or storyboard it's a plus. She can draw. She won 4 Scholastic art awards this past year. She did a novel writing course. Plus they like people with a passion for that industry and she has that too. I am sure it will be competitive but the 4 year degree is broad enough to provide her with back-up options because businesses have use for those skills.

Careers for English Majors (http://www2.winthrop.edu/english/undergraduate/careers.htm)

BucEyedPea
08-26-2011, 06:39 PM
How lovely! ROFL

cdcox
08-26-2011, 11:36 PM

Did you try emailing the prof?

Or schmoozing the administrative assistant that orders the text books for the department?

In our department, either one would allow you to know what the textbook will be. People are generally helpful if you ask.

cdcox
08-26-2011, 11:41 PM
sure they will. sadly enough, 'online' versions, PDFs, and ebook versions are all ****ing expensive as well. I had the option of getting the kindle edition of my immunology book for grad school this semester--it was freaking 120 bucks (compared to 130 for the actual hardback textbook)... huge bargain there, I can't sell back the ebook.

You're far enough along in your studies that you will want to keep your text books. Immunology changes pretty quickly, but for the main ideas, the text should be good for 5 or more years.

Ebolapox
08-27-2011, 12:09 AM
You're far enough along in your studies that you will want to keep your text books. Immunology changes pretty quickly, but for the main ideas, the text should be good for 5 or more years.

oh, I don't plan on selling this particular book back. just making a point based on previous experiences of textbooks, interspersed with this semester's experience.

Bob Dole
08-27-2011, 06:47 AM
The prices are high, but is there an alternative to the current price of a new chemistry book? And how do we make them lower?

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but that's an easy answer: Open Source textbooks in electronic format. It's just a matter of getting the faculty to buy in, and at present, they all want one that comes with an ePack for their web portion and a test bank (so they have to put forth minimal effort).

We're on the verge of being able to offer a $10k Bachelor degree where Bob Dole works.

Reaper16
08-27-2011, 12:39 PM

Very cool. Does she know what school she's attending yet? [Edit: Ah, FSU. I should have continued reading the thread before posting]

Yeah, I teach composition, creative writing, and literature. I'm in an MFA program in creative writing right now, but my school lets us teach a wide variety of classes instead of just Freshman comp.

Jenson71
08-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Very cool. Does she know what school she's attending yet? [Edit: Ah, FSU. I should have continued reading the thread before posting]

Yeah, I teach composition, creative writing, and literature. I'm in an MFA program in creative writing right now, but my school lets us teach a wide variety of classes instead of just Freshman comp.

Did you happen to watch the Charlie Rose interview with writers last night (part of it was a re-run)? It was a good show.

Discuss Thrower
08-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Did you happen to watch the Charlie Rose interview with writers last night (part of it was a re-run)? It was a good show.

ohhhhhh WHEN I SAY PERSONAL, YOU SAY MESSAGE!
PERSONAL!
-MESSAGE!
PERSONAL!
-MESSAGE!

BucEyedPea
08-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Famous "losers" [1] with English Degrees:

http://www2.winthrop.edu/english/images/FEMs/FamousEnglishMajors.jpg

[1] Based on Brock's neg rep that English is for losers and I am a bad parent for encouraging her major.

Discuss Thrower
08-27-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm going to graduate in May, and I'm thinking about changing out of English to avoid association with Vin Diesel and David Douchechovny

BucEyedPea
08-27-2011, 03:24 PM

Cool!

The Bunk
08-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Amazon.com

I made it through grad school without giving a nickel the school bookstore. You can sell most books back through Amazon and get really close to what you paid for them.

BucEyedPea
08-27-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm going to graduate in May, and I'm thinking about changing out of English to avoid association with Vin Diesel and David Douchechovny

LMAO

BucEyedPea
08-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Amazon.com

I made it through grad school without giving a nickel the school bookstore. You can sell most books back through Amazon and get really close to what you paid for them.

We got half our books via Amazon and brought the bill down $200. But you can't find everything you need. You have to check those ISBN numbers due to those edition changes. ( Some ISBNs are changed as they've rolled over to a new numbering phase though but the book is still okay.) Sometimes you can get around that if the prof lets you use another edition.

Another issue for us was one used-sale vendor never shipped causing us to re-order whereby it came after my daughter left from the new used-sale vendor. So I had to ship from home to her and paid more shipping. It was still cheaper though.

Then you have to figure some of the used versions you need require individual shipping from each vendor location, when you can still order new from Amazon for enough where you save the shipping costs altogether. It's quite a bit of work to go through all of this. It's a royal pain in the arse but you can save. I thought my kid would save 50% but it only came to about a third off. Luckily she had some bookstore gift cards as grad presents.

Now, I just got a call from her that they changed the professor she carefully selected for her Cultural Anthropology course and he changed all the books that were originally on the site for the courses. Now the process begins anew, at least for that course. Let's hope there's been no changes on the other courses. She starts Monday and it's only this one course that has the syllabus up.

Ebolapox
08-27-2011, 05:16 PM

http://www2.winthrop.edu/english/images/FEMs/FamousEnglishMajors.jpg

[1] Based on Brock's neg rep that English is for losers and I am a bad parent for encouraging her major.

not for nothing, but none of the people on your 'list' got where they are in life thanks to their english degree... seriously, your 'list' was kinda pointless. yeah. alan alda got famous as an actor because of his...ENGLISH DEGREE.

seriously?

BucEyedPea
08-27-2011, 05:44 PM
not for nothing, but none of the people on your 'list' got where they are in life thanks to their english degree... seriously, your 'list' was kinda pointless. yeah. alan alda got famous as an actor because of his...ENGLISH DEGREE.

seriously?
Lolz! You actually think I thought that? Context, my dear.

English is a loser's degree. Not surprising to hear you're a failure as a parent.~ Brock

I think you need to go back and read a few things, because the point your making is irrelevant here , particularly when your claim is true for most majors. It always comes down, in the end, to the individual and not the degree as far as I'm concerned. I mean there are poli sci majors who now work as top executives for corporations and English majors who become lawyers too. FYI, it's comes from a website on careers for English majors in general.

The Bunk
08-27-2011, 07:03 PM
We got half our books via Amazon and brought the bill down $200. But you can't find everything you need. You have to check those ISBN numbers due to those edition changes. ( Some ISBNs are changed as they've rolled over to a new numbering phase though but the book is still okay.) Sometimes you can get around that if the prof lets you use another edition.

Another issue for us was one used-sale vendor never shipped causing us to re-order whereby it came after my daughter left from the new used-sale vendor. So I had to ship from home to her and paid more shipping. It was still cheaper though.

Then you have to figure some of the used versions you need require individual shipping from each vendor location, when you can still order new from Amazon for enough where you save the shipping costs altogether. It's quite a bit of work to go through all of this. It's a royal pain in the arse but you can save. I thought my kid would save 50% but it only came to about a third off. Luckily she had some bookstore gift cards as grad presents.

Now, I just got a call from her that they changed the professor she carefully selected for her Cultural Anthropology course and he changed all the books that were originally on the site for the courses. Now the process begins anew, at least for that course. Let's hope there's been no changes on the other courses. She starts Monday and it's only this one course that has the syllabus up.

Huh, maybe I just got lucky. I never had any issues. I always just searched by the ISBN, and they always had what I needed. When reselling, I could have priced it higher if I wanted to recoup another $10, but I always put them so I would be the lowest available option, and most likely the first bought.

I'm in no way claiming it's perfect. Completely random guess, but I'm guess I lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30% after my markdown and Amazon fees, but it sure beat the heck out of getting raped by the bookstore.

Jaric
08-28-2011, 09:38 PM

Are they counting the monkey? Or Captain Barbosa?

chiefkingdom
06-21-2012, 10:59 PM
on the subject: for those still in college or going back, whats your major?

Math ed here. I hope to be a principal some day though.

ThaVirus
06-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Political science. Have no clue what I'm going to do with it anymore.

Bump
06-21-2012, 11:29 PM
I know this sounds completely crazy but I think it's a conspiracy and it has to do with class warfare. Too many of us poor folks who weren't born rich were going to college, hell I got into college, lol and was able to pay rent, bills, books, car, tuition, food, etc just from bartending. Would that be possible today for someone to do? No, it wouldn't.

They are weeding the middle class and below out.

OR

it's too many people have degrees making them kinda worthless and this is their solution to fix it.

I know, Im wearing my tinfoil hat, lol.

ThaVirus
06-22-2012, 12:02 AM
I know this sounds completely crazy but I think it's a conspiracy and it has to do with class warfare. Too many of us poor folks who weren't born rich were going to college, hell I got into college, lol and was able to pay rent, bills, books, car, tuition, food, etc just from bartending. Would that be possible today for someone to do? No, it wouldn't.

They are weeding the middle class and below out.

OR

it's too many people have degrees making them kinda worthless and this is their solution to fix it.

I know, Im wearing my tinfoil hat, lol.

If the gubment didn't offer pell grants to the poorest of the poor I might be more inclined to agree with that. I'd say its more or less a money grab.

healthpellets
06-23-2012, 09:29 AM
because I'm the one who has to pay for it

And what kind of personal responsibility is that instilling in her?

qabbaan
06-23-2012, 10:31 AM
I understand why textbooks are expensive. We look at a book and say, it's just a book, why should it cost $100?

In a lot of cases I can see it because these books are very dense with material. In terms of the volume of words and including illustrations and diagrams, the books are probably very labor intensive to create. And the market size for certain books is going to be pretty small.

I also understand why the electronic versions are not much cheaper. The cost of paper and printing of a textbook is probably negligible compare to the cost of creating it.

I think if you looked atthe margin these publishig hourlses trn its probably not more than 10%.

The problem with price here is lack of competition. There aren't going to be 20 companies publishing textbooks for some very specific subject, there might only be two or three. And most importantly, the professor isn't going to select a textbook based on price. They are going to pick the one they think is the best. It's not a price sensitive market.

I think we can only properly understand this as just part of the cost of tuition. Higher Ed, due to unlimited free credit from the government for purchasing it, has gotten very expensive. This is one of the trade offs we pay for providing college to anyone who wants it.