PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Perry bills feds $349M for incarcerating illegals

ForeverChiefs58
08-26-2011, 10:04 PM
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas Gov. Rick Perry has asked the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for nearly $350 million to cover the costs he says Texas has incurred incarcerating illegal immigrants in state prisons and county jails.

In a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Perry reiterated a claim he's often leveled against the federal government: that it's not doing enough to secure the border with Mexico and as a result, has allowed illegal immigrants to enter the U.S. and use taxpayer-funded resources, including the prison system.

The letter was dated Aug. 10, three days before the Republican governor formally announced he is running for president.

Reached after-hours Friday by phone, DHS spokesman Matthew Chandler said he wasn't in position to comment and said he could not confirm that the DHS had even received the letter.

Perry has been criticized by some fellow conservatives as being too lenient on illegal immigration issues. Unlike fellow GOP presidential hopeful Rep. Michele Bachmann, Perry does not think the U.S. should build a wall spanning the entire Mexican border. Perry also has supported discounted tuition rates for the children of illegal immigrants at Texas universities, and he has said Arizona's tough-on-immigration law wouldn't be right for Texas.

As governor, Perry was one of the first to talk about immigration by breaking out the issue of border security, a move that has won him support from conservative Hispanics. But he angered Hispanic leaders in June by endorsing legislation that would have prohibited cities from adopting "sanctuary" rules for handling suspected immigrants.

In his two-page letter to Napolitano, Perry described the formula used to come up with his $349.2 million bill, including $94.4 million to cover costs incurred by county jails.

"During tough economic times, when communities are making difficult decisions about their own budgets, Texas counties are being asked to cover more than $94.4 million in direct costs related to housing illegal immigrants while the state has been left to cover more than $254.8 million in such costs."

He included a memo from Comptroller Susan Combs in which she supports his calculations but warns that the estimates are conservative.

"The longstanding failure of the federal government to secure our border with Mexico continues to burden local communities and resources in Texas," Perry wrote. "Because there are not enough troops on the ground, illegal immigrants are able to penetrate the Texas border every day and use taxpayer-funded resources."

Perry is not the first governor to try to bill the federal government for the costs of incarcerating illegal immigrants. Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, sued the DHS in February seeking compensation for incarceration costs, among other things. And Napolitano herself, who preceded Brewer as Arizona governor, regularly sent the Justice Department invoices seeking such reimbursement before she became Homeland Security secretary.

http://news.yahoo.com/perry-bills-feds-349m-incarcerating-illegals-025702439.html

CoMoChief
08-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Rick Perry is a globalist snake.

People should NOT vote for this man.

RON PAUL, people......you want change? Ron Paul will take the steps to start making that happen. Everyone else is a govt puppet of the status quo and will do whatever the bankers and top corporations tell him to do.

Big govt, bankes et al., are scared of Ron Paul.

Want to audit/abolish the FED? Ron Paul will do it, the others won't.

Want jobs to come back to USA? Ron Paul will try to make it fiscally beneficial to companies to bring back jobs to USA...other candidates will not. They will talk about it, they will not act on it.

Want to get out of all of these Wars? Ron Paul will get us out of war. They're wars in which we don't need to be a part of. The others are all Pro-war to the 10th degree.

This is all part of a step in the right direction. We've ****ed ourselves completely in the last 50 yrs it's going to take a long time to come out of this, but at least there's a candidate that's willing to start REAL change, and not just talk about it with Rah Rah Rhetoric bullshit political talk.

VOTE RON PAUL - 2012

Saul Good
08-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Ron Paul Fan: Your guy is a slimy POS, and you're an idiot for supporting him. Why doesn't anyone want to get on board with my side?

KILLER_CLOWN
08-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Ron Paul Fan: Your guy is a slimy POS, and you're an idiot for supporting him. Why doesn't anyone want to get on board with my side?

Not exactly, Ron Paul supporters see the future of America crumbling and these corrupt globalist flip-floppers as the root cause.

ForeverChiefs58
08-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Rick Perry is a globalist snake.

People should NOT vote for this man.

RON PAUL, people......you want change? Ron Paul will take the steps to start making that happen. Everyone else is a govt puppet of the status quo and will do whatever the bankers and top corporations tell him to do.

Big govt, bankes et al., are scared of Ron Paul.

Want to audit/abolish the FED? Ron Paul will do it, the others won't.

Want jobs to come back to USA? Ron Paul will try to make it fiscally beneficial to companies to bring back jobs to USA...other candidates will not. They will talk about it, they will not act on it.

Want to get out of all of these Wars? Ron Paul will get us out of war. They're wars in which we don't need to be a part of. The others are all Pro-war to the 10th degree.

This is all part of a step in the right direction. We've ****ed ourselves completely in the last 50 yrs it's going to take a long time to come out of this, but at least there's a candidate that's willing to start REAL change, and not just talk about it with Rah Rah Rhetoric bullshit political talk.

VOTE RON PAUL - 2012

Do you really think one man would really be able to do all that? Don't you think to accomplish any of that he would have to have some support from congress?

Mr. Flopnuts
08-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Do you really think one man would really be able to do all that? Don't you think to accomplish any of that he would have to have some support from congress?

If all he does is further awaken the American people to government waste, greed, and corruption in the political arena, he will have done more than any President in recent times.

Donger
08-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Ron Paul has officially become a cult.

whoman69
08-27-2011, 11:14 AM
We need William Proxmire back.

Dave Lane
08-27-2011, 11:18 AM

And a dangerous one.

CoMoChief
08-27-2011, 12:17 PM

He would get a lot of support from congress....because once Paul's word gets out, more and more Americans are going to follow this guy because nearly all americans want to be out of these wars and want the economy to improve....NO ONE likes the FED, and they shouldn't. Paul would put a clown suit on BO in the presidential debates and everyone in Washington knows this...they're afraid of people getting behind Paul. Why do you think the media is pretending like he doesn't exist? Everything you hear about is Perry/Romney/Bachmann, but not one word about Paul. This is not by accident, it's by design.

I think Paul would get more supporters from both sides once people spread around Paul's ideas/words and the constituents start holding their elected officials accountable.

chiefzilla1501
08-27-2011, 12:29 PM
He would get a lot of support from congress....because once Paul's word gets out, more and more Americans are going to follow this guy because nearly all americans want to be out of these wars and want the economy to improve....NO ONE likes the FED, and they shouldn't. Paul would put a clown suit on BO in the presidential debates and everyone in Washington knows this...they're afraid of people getting behind Paul. Why do you think the media is pretending like he doesn't exist? Everything you hear about is Perry/Romney/Bachmann, but not one word about Paul. This is not by accident, it's by design.

I think Paul would get more supporters from both sides once people spread around Paul's ideas/words and the constituents start holding their elected officials accountable.

There is no way Ron Paul is even remotely electable. People like the idea of Ron Paul and would like him to be a guy that fights a lot of the system, but there's no way you're going to get independents voting for an isolationist with an extreme view of cost slashing. This is why I hate primary season. It doesn't represent independents, and so moderates have to settle for the extremist guy from each camp.

In my opinion, the only guy on the Republican side who has any kind of shot at winning the next election is Huntsman. Everyone else is going to get demolished once they start trying to appeal to the independents.

I like Ron Paul and what he stands for. But if you elect a Pres, you're electing the whole package. And there is too much in that whole package that's probably going to scare most voters.

HonestChieffan
08-27-2011, 12:39 PM
And a dangerous one.

Dangerous to the left, Obots, and others who have an aversion for the truth. RP has some kookie ideas but he seems terribly honest and has no issues with telling it like it is.

petegz28
08-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Well, election BS aside, if illegal immigration is a federal issue like they always claim when they sue states, then they should be flipping the bill to use state and county jails to house said illegals.

banyon
08-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Well, election BS aside, if illegal immigration is a federal issue like they always claim when they sue states, then they should be flipping the bill to use state and county jails to house said illegals.

This seems like a bit of a red herring.

I'm all for deporting as many illegals as possible, but I assume these people are criminal illegals.

If they committed a minor crime, I'm fine with immediate deportation and then incarceration if they return. If it's a major crime though, then they need to be incarcerated until their sentence is up, then deport them.

evenfall
08-27-2011, 04:40 PM

I think they just know all the air has been let out of their dream of Paul overcoming a weak field. See post number two. Practically spastic.

I saw on one website that when Perry jumped recently from 13-15% to the mid 20s, most of that support from Romney whom you would think of as being the next closest. Bad, if you are hoping there won't be an early presumptive nominee. My guess is that when Bachmann drops that is what Perry will be. Paul is more or less at his ceiling.

Hopefully Paul will be given more of a leadership role in Congress which is right about where he belongs.

evenfall
08-27-2011, 04:50 PM

I'm all for deporting as many illegals as possible, but I assume these people are criminal illegals.

If they committed a minor crime, I'm fine with immediate deportation and then incarceration if they return. If it's a major crime though, then they need to be incarcerated until their sentence is up, then deport them.

I think this is a common sense approach. Obviously the idea of roundups is stupid, but deportation in the contexts you describe makes sense and is value for the money.

CoMoChief
08-27-2011, 05:51 PM
I'd really like to know what kookie ideas Paul has that "most" people are terrified of.

People wanna say "massive" spending cuts. Well....the govt isn't responsible for the majority of the handouts that are given to citizens...whether you agree or disagree with that it's the hard stone cold truth, and people have been solely relying on some of these for the last 50-some odd years.

Plus, in addition to the above, this country is in terribly shape financially. The country is bankrupt, and people in Congress don't want to admit it. They just keep spending more and more money.

Is it the fact that he wants to get out of all of the wars we're currently in? That's another major portion of the money our govt is spending. Being in Iraq and Afghanistan both are long overdue (initially they're wars designed to never end, we set up military base compounds in the area, the largest in the world - these things are like cities, something like that is NOT temporary). Lybia, and others, you name it....we just need to get the hell out of these areas. Stop foreign aid to these countries when people here are suffering. It doesn't make sense.

There are other issues.....and there needs to be cuts somewhere, whether people like it or not. Other candidates and Obama just want to continue printing more and more money and treat it as a band-aid when in the bigger scheme of things it's destroying the american economy, but hey....it looks great on paper and as long as people get their piece of the pie..

This country is so ass-fucked backwards right now....unbelievable

evenfall
08-27-2011, 07:11 PM
The wars are not a "major portion of the money our government is spending".

VAChief
08-27-2011, 07:18 PM

Wasn't he "Brad" in the Rock Horror Picture Show?

Ace Gunner
08-27-2011, 08:52 PM
350 million. great plan. great long term solution. great. great. great. more great.

rrl308
08-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Sounds like he's trying to get some money for the budget deficit he has in Texas. That nobody wants to talk about.

banyon
08-28-2011, 09:50 AM
I'd really like to know what kookie ideas Paul has that "most" people are terrified of.

Really? You don't already know them?

KILLER_CLOWN
08-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Really? You don't already know them?

Please explain them to us, they were always mainstream until the endless war, new credit card to max out every week plan came along.

banyon
08-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Please explain them to us, they were always mainstream until the endless war, new credit card to max out every week plan came along.

1. Elimination of Social Security
2. Elimination of Medicare/Medicaid
3. Elimination of the Department of Education
4. Should never have gone into Afghanistan, don't go anywhere else in the world unless we are directly invaded.
5. Elimination of the IRS with no replacement for revenue collection, not even a sales tax.
6. Elimination of the Federal Reserve, and no Central Bank to replace it.
7. Legalize marijuana, heroin, and methamphetamine.
8. Repeal of the Civil Rights Act
9. All spending should be earmarked by Congressmen for their pet projects
10. Repeal the UN, NATO, and every other international defense treaty we have.
11. FEMA should be abolished and the federal government should not assist our citizens in disasters or emergencies.
12. Repeal all/most existing free trade agreements, but support free trade.

Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure I could go on.

Anyone who embraces all of these positions and doesn't understand their practical impact is unduly embracing a simplistic, dogmatist rhetoric, IMO.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-28-2011, 01:13 PM
1. Elimination of Social Security - Wrong, you will have a choice to opt out/in

2. Elimination of Medicare/Medicaid - Wrong, he has stated he would not cut these.
3. Elimination of the Department of Education - At the federal level yes, it's a state issue.
4. Should never have gone into Afghanistan, don't go anywhere else in the world unless we are directly invaded. - We had no business in Afghanistan and you're twisting his words here.

5. Elimination of the IRS with no replacement for revenue collection, not even a sales tax. - Wrong, This one is way out in left field.

6. Elimination of the Federal Reserve, and no Central Bank to replace it. - Eh hello you mean elimination of the PRIVATE unFederal Reserve.

7. Legalize marijuana, heroin, and methamphetamine. Legalise all drugs and their is less incentive to do them.

8. Repeal of the Civil Rights Act - Eh? You're in outer space on this one.

9. All spending should be earmarked by Congressmen for their pet projects - Yes so you know where EVERY penny is going.

10. Repeal the UN, NATO, and every other international defense treaty we have. Complicated subject but anything that requires the US to step in as world police is ok in my book and better for every taxpayer.

11. FEMA should be abolished and the federal government should not assist our citizens in disasters or emergencies. Yes Fema should be abolished, they do more harm than good.

12. Repeal all/most existing free trade agreements, but support free trade. You mean like Nafta and Gatt? The Giant sucking sound?

Anyone who embraces all of these positions and doesn't understand their practical impact is unduly embracing a simplistic, dogmatist rhetoric, IMO.

America thrived quite well following the constitution so Please elaborate with more so it can be corrected.

Donger
08-28-2011, 01:26 PM
4. Should never have gone into Afghanistan, don't go anywhere else in the world unless we are directly invaded.
5. Elimination of the IRS with no replacement for revenue collection, not even a sales tax.
11. FEMA should be abolished and the federal government should not assist our citizens in disasters or emergencies.

LMAO

nstygma
08-28-2011, 01:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPs1Oem0yvI&feature=youtu.be&t=1m27s

interesting. regardless, the war on drugs is insane.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-28-2011, 02:41 PM
LMAO

According to Dave and Banyon Ron Paul would kill us all.

ChiefaRoo
08-28-2011, 02:51 PM
I think they just know all the air has been let out of their dream of Paul overcoming a weak field. See post number two. Practically spastic.

I saw on one website that when Perry jumped recently from 13-15% to the mid 20s, most of that support from Romney whom you would think of as being the next closest. Bad, if you are hoping there won't be an early presumptive nominee. My guess is that when Bachmann drops that is what Perry will be. Paul is more or less at his ceiling.

Hopefully Paul will be given more of a leadership role in Congress which is right about where he belongs.

Paul has said he's retiring if he doesn't get the Presidency. He's done, period.

Chocolate Hog
08-28-2011, 02:56 PM
And a dangerous one.

Not nearly as dangerous as Barack Obama.

ChiefsCountry
08-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Not nearly as dangerous as Barack Obama.

Duh bc Paul isn't electable.

SNR
08-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Ron Paul has officially become a cult.That's not a cult. This is a cult:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Fjj6a8aBNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

banyon
08-29-2011, 07:06 AM
America thrived quite well following the constitution so Please elaborate with more so it can be corrected.

Elaborate more?

You asked me which positions weren't mainstream, I listed them.

Are you conceding now that they aren't mainstream, but wish some type of constitutional or historical analysis on one or more of them? Elaborate on what, exactly?

Chocolate Hog
08-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Duh bc Paul isn't electable.

Let's not let facts get in the way of your spew.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/election_2012_barack_obama_42_ron_paul_41

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/obama_39_paul_38

http://www.gallup.com/poll/149114/obama-close-race-against-romney-perry-bachmann-paul.aspx

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_paul_vs_obama-1750.html

Chocolate Hog
08-29-2011, 03:26 PM

Lets list the things Barack Obama has done as president.

BucEyedPea
08-29-2011, 05:15 PM
LMAO

banyon
08-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Lets list the things Barack Obama has done as president.

Do you think I am claiming Obama has done an adequate job somewhere?

Maybe you should check my posting history, but I've been on record here for more than a year as dissatisfied with Obama.

Misdirection noted though.

Chocolate Hog
08-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Do you think I am claiming Obama has done an adequate job somewhere?

Maybe you should check my posting history, but I've been on record here for more than a year as dissatisfied with Obama.

Misdirection noted though.

I try to ignore your post but couldn't help and notice your avatar blaming "the other guys". It seems to be a common thing for Obama apologist to do.

banyon
08-29-2011, 07:12 PM
I try to ignore your post but couldn't help and notice your avatar blaming "the other guys". It seems to be a common thing for Obama apologist to do.

It's a joke. It makes fun of Obama and the fact that he had to change his motto from "yes we can". Apparently the humor was lost on you, as the point isn't blaming the other guys at all.

Chocolate Hog
08-29-2011, 07:13 PM
So you'll be switching party affiliation to vote for Romney?

petegz28
08-29-2011, 08:22 PM

Sure. I agree. On the Federal Dime, though. If Holder and Obama want to sue states claiming immigration is a federal issue then so is incarciration of said illegals.

petegz28
08-29-2011, 08:27 PM

1. Needs serious reforms
2. Needs serious reforms
3. Can go away, we have no need for it
4. Is debateable
5. Right idea but can't be done as stated
6. Can go away, we have no need for it
7. Marijuana yes, others no
8. Stupid
9. ???
10. UN yes, NATO no
11. FEMA is a waste
12. Needs serious reforms

So all in all he is close to spot on

banyon
08-30-2011, 07:05 AM
So you'll be switching party affiliation to vote for Romney?

Why would you infer that? Are we in some type of binary system?

banyon
08-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Elaborate more?

You asked me which positions weren't mainstream, I listed them.

Are you conceding now that they aren't mainstream, but wish some type of constitutional or historical analysis on one or more of them? Elaborate on what, exactly?

Kclown, which one of these ridiculous positions did you want me to elaborate on, and how?

LOCOChief
08-30-2011, 09:00 AM
And a dangerous one.

In what way are Ron Paul or his supporters dangerous?

Please be specific.

evenfall
08-30-2011, 09:08 AM
In what way are Ron Paul or his supporters dangerous?

Please be specific.

They infect every thread on every message board on the internet with their fanatical devotion to their Pope.

Though this is only dangerous to internet culture. The chances that anyone's minds will be changed by their omnipresence and their lynchmob campaigning are zero.

LOCOChief
08-30-2011, 09:31 AM
They infect every thread on every message board on the internet with their fanatical devotion to their Pope.

Though this is only dangerous to internet culture. The chances that anyone's minds will be changed by their omnipresence and their lynchmob campaigning are zero.

that's just plain ol dumb.

Take a little time and give it some thought next time you decide to jump in an answer a question that was asked of someone else.

nstygma
08-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Is this a true statement?

Ron Paul is in the unique situation where he can say, "If you'd followed my advice back in 2008, we'd be much better off now."