PDA

View Full Version : Would you EVER go 3 rounds w/o a RB?

rageeumr
08-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm in a 2-keeper league. My keepers are Philip Rivers and Megatron, which means I lose my first and second round draft picks. I have the 2nd pick in the 3rd round, but due to other people choosing not to keep players, it's the 7th overall pick.

I can easily see a scenario where there's an early run on the few RBs that are left (Rice, Forte, Gore, Bradshaw, Hillis). Factor in that a QB or 2 get taken, and I really think my choice will be a 4th tier RB like Moreno, Greene, SJax, etc. However, I there's likely to still be some 2nd tier WR talent left such as Nicks or maybe even Jennings.

Is it instant FFB suicide to go WR-QB-WR in the first 3 rounds? No PPR - Standard Yahoo scoring (QB TD's are 6).

SNR
08-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Last year I did that. I went Randy Moss, Miles Austin, Philip Rivers, and then took Arian Foster and LeSean McCoy.

It took balls, but fuck did it pay off. Too bad Moss and Austin were a bunch of labias

MoreLemonPledge
08-29-2011, 12:37 AM
It wouldn't be fantasy suicide. Not anymore. Back in the day it was like that, but so many backs are in timeshares now that luck factors into the position more than any other. An injury can turn a 7th round pick into a top 5 RB. An absolute nobody can come off the waiver wire and run for 1,000 yards.

I wouldn't necessarily condone the strategy because getting an elite RB still is still paramount to success, and you're more likely to find them in the first 3 rounds. It's just not a guarantee anymore. Top tier WRs are actually the safest picks you can make.

Pestilence
08-29-2011, 10:24 AM
In a non-PPR league....I might go with Shonne Greene. It's not like you can't just grab TD RBs in the later rounds though. Green-Ellis and Tolbert possibly.

epitome1170
08-29-2011, 02:51 PM
You should draft a kicker or defense instead... you would be unstoppable with the #1 kicker.

sedated
08-29-2011, 09:49 PM
I've done it. Went (iirc) rodgers, calvin, fitzgerald last year, got some good RBs after some injuries happened. Ended up in the championship.

KevB
08-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Why keep Rivers if there are other guys thrown back?

Nevermind, 6 pt passing TDs, missed that first time around.

If you can get Nicks or Jennings and the best RB is a Shon Greene, I'd go with Nicks. At that point, you're looking for a competitive advantage, as other teams are clearly going to have an advantage at RB. You get Megatron and Nicks, you have the best WR corp in the league. You get lucky with some later RBs (Felix Jones, DeAngelo, Blount, etc.) and you're golden.

CrazyPhuD
08-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Easily it just depends upon how my league is set up. I think the first year I played I drafted my RB's in round 6-7 because people were dumb and decided to draft RBs early when the league had been set up to favor QBs(we started two) AND WRs were near the equal of RBs. People bitched a bit when they realized the scoring system post draft(I didn't set it up), I was just the only one who did my homework for the system. My team was pretty damn dominate.

Realistically though and FF system that has RBs as the best players is somewhat silly. In the NFL they are one of the most replaceable players and a good running back will never win you a championship. The only reason to have them the strongest is if you want a random FF outcome, since no one can really predict year in and year out which RBs will have the best season, nor the random RBs who come up as rookies or because of injuries. It makes it more 'fair' for those who don't know football.

DMAC
08-29-2011, 10:37 PM
In a non keeper, I just went rivers, megatron, desean, then got bradshaw.

Pestilence
08-30-2011, 10:54 AM
There are always injuries to RBs that push people into the fantasy spotlight. So it's very possible to go QB/WR/WR in the first 3 rounds and still have a great shot at winning the championship. You just need to make sure that you're active on the waiver wire.

rageeumr
08-30-2011, 04:05 PM
There are always injuries to RBs that push people into the fantasy spotlight. So it's very possible to go QB/WR/WR in the first 3 rounds and still have a great shot at winning the championship. You just need to make sure that you're active on the waiver wire.

Ya, always am. Ended up with Peyton Hillis last year due to that. Out of 12 teams, there's probably 6 or less that pay enough attention to steal good waiver players from me.

MahiMike
08-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Good sleeper QBs are plentiful these days so I wouldn't pick a QB before RB.

sedated
08-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Good sleeper QBs are plentiful these days so I wouldn't pick a QB before RB.

I gotta disagree with you, good buddy. QBs are set - there's only 32 starters every week, and the good ones are known. Starting/significant RBs can vary from wee-to-week.

A couple years ago, I got J.Charles as soon as LJ was booted, Charles got the mjority of the carries and returned kicks, and he carried me into the playoffs. Last year, it was L.Blount. There's a new RB story every year; when's the last time that happened with a QB?

SNR
08-31-2011, 01:15 AM
Drafting 12th in a 12 team mock, my first 6 rounds went:

1- Roddy White
2- Larry Fitzgerald
3- Ahmad Bradshaw
4- Felix Jones
5- Matt Schaub
6- Mike Tolbert (was amazed that Tim Hightower was gone. People are drafting this dude waaaay too fucking high, IMO)

I'd be pretty fucking satisfied with that if that was my real draft.

OnTheWarpath58
08-31-2011, 10:14 AM

1- Roddy White
2- Larry Fitzgerald
3- Ahmad Bradshaw
4- Felix Jones
5- Matt Schaub
6- Mike Tolbert (was amazed that Tim Hightower was gone. People are drafting this dude waaaay too fucking high, IMO)

Interesting that you were able to get Schaub at 60, but that Hightower was gone. That's ridiculously early.

I can't believe that people fall for taking a Shanahan-coached back every fucking year. It's the same every year. The favorite goes nuts for 2 weeks, then inexplicably, Shanny goes to the backup and plays musical chairs the rest of the season, leaving fantasy owners to guess.

Not worth it, definitely not in the the 4-5-6th rounds.

Pestilence
08-31-2011, 10:30 AM

1- Roddy White
2- Larry Fitzgerald
3- Ahmad Bradshaw
4- Felix Jones
5- Matt Schaub

I've tried to stay away from mock drafts because they're so unpredictable. In CBS Sports mock drafts.....everyone takes WRs way early. In ESPN mock drafts....they all take RBs way early.

OnTheWarpath58
08-31-2011, 10:31 AM
I've tried to stay away from mock drafts because they're so unpredictable. In CBS Sports mock drafts.....everyone takes WRs way early. In ESPN mock drafts....they all take RBs way early.

I've noticed the same thing.

I'm doing as many as I can to see if I can draw ANYTHING from them.

Pestilence
08-31-2011, 10:33 AM
I've noticed the same thing.

I'm doing as many as I can to see if I can draw ANYTHING from them.

I did a mock draft over at ESPN yesterday and I came away with:

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Jamaal Charles
RB: Jahvid Best
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
WR: Hakeem Nicks
WR: Mike Williams (TB)
TE: Vernon Davis

It seemed like everyone was just grabbing as many RBs as they could.

ChiefsCountry
08-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Interesting that you were able to get Schaub at 60, but that Hightower was gone. That's ridiculously early.

I can't believe that people fall for taking a Shanahan-coached back every ****ing year. It's the same every year. The favorite goes nuts for 2 weeks, then inexplicably, Shanny goes to the backup and plays musical chairs the rest of the season, leaving fantasy owners to guess.

Not worth it, definitely not in the the 4-5-6th rounds.

I've picked up Schaub in both of my leagues in spots way lower than he should have went. Its amazing trade bait that I have now at QB.

SNR
08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
I did a mock draft over at ESPN yesterday and I came away with:

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Jamaal Charles
RB: Jahvid Best
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
WR: Hakeem Nicks
WR: Mike Williams (TB)
TE: Vernon Davis

It seemed like everyone was just grabbing as many RBs as they could.Interesting. So how did it run down? Jamaal, Nicks, Fitz, Mike Williams? Mike Williams in the 4th round is INSANE value

Pestilence
08-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Interesting. So how did it run down? Jamaal, Nicks, Fitz, Mike Williams? Mike Williams in the 4th round is INSANE value

If I remember right....my picks were:

1st - Charles
2nd - Fitzgerald
3rd - Nicks
4th - Williams
5th - Best
6th - Ryan
7th - Davis

Pestilence
08-31-2011, 11:18 AM
And that was picking at the #4 spot.

CanadianChief
09-02-2011, 09:19 AM
I did this last night and am not happy with my RBs at all. Especially since it's a PPR.

1st - A. Johnson
2nd - Fitz
3rd - Romo
4th - Finley
5th - Greene
6th - BGE
7th - Amendola
8th - Ingram

Pestilence
09-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah....your RBs aren't going to be awesome in a PPR league.....but your WRs and TE are.

doomy3
09-02-2011, 11:28 AM

It's because of the differences in the running rankings when you're doing drafts on the two sites. Most people see a name pop up at the top of a list during the draft and they think they need to grab him then.

ESPN has guys like Marshall, Welker, Manningham, Britt, etc so much lower, so that pushes RBs up. In ESPN drafts, you can pretty much always get the guys I listed above in the 5th or 6th round.

rageeumr
09-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Well this didn't end up being an issue for me. Some weird picks in front of me (Romo, Hillis, Nicks, SJax), leaving Gore on the board for me. Not a big Gore fan, but no way I could pass on him at pick 3.2.

Pablo
09-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Well this didn't end up being an issue for me. Some weird picks in front of me (Romo, Hillis, Nicks, SJax), leaving Gore on the board for me. Not a big Gore fan, but no way I could pass on him at pick 3.2.I'm not a huge Gore fan either, but he got to me at 3.6 and I couldn't pass it up.

Deberg_1990
09-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Well this didn't end up being an issue for me. Some weird picks in front of me (Romo, Hillis, Nicks, SJax), leaving Gore on the board for me. Not a big Gore fan, but no way I could pass on him at pick 3.2.

I'm not a huge Gore fan either, but he got to me at 3.6 and I couldn't pass it up.

Thats incredible value for a guy who averages 20-25 touches a game.

Pablo
09-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Thats incredible value for a guy who averages 20-25 touches a game.Yeah, dude took S. Jackson two picks ahead and I was pretty happy with Gore where I got him. Came back around and snagged Felix Jones in the 4th. He's gonna put up numbers this year too.

rageeumr
09-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Thats incredible value for a guy who averages 20-25 touches a game.

I was pretty damn surprised. This is a keeper league, so once all the keepers were off the board, pick 3.2 (where I got Gore) was the 7th overall. Actual picks in front of me were Rice, Bradshaw, SJax (Rams homer), Hillis, Romo (autopick), Nicks (autopick).

ngoc
09-19-2011, 03:56 AM
Because RB's win fantasy championships.

I wish people would stop trying to reinvent the wheel.