PDA

View Full Version : Obama Obama schedules his rambling nonsense about jobs for the same time as Debate

Chocolate Hog
08-31-2011, 05:25 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20099881-503544.html

The White House says President Obama's decision to schedule a joint session to Congress at the same time as a high-profile Republican presidential debate is merely a coincidence.

But others are not so sure.

Jon Huntsman spokesman Tim Miller called the president's decision a "purely political move" that was destined to fail.

"Desperate political times for the President call for desperate political measures," Miller told CBS News in a statement. "His latest purely political maneuver won't work though, because voters know his economic policies have failed."

Obama's speech timing: Coincidence, cunning or crazy?
House Speaker John Boehner channels inner Nancy Reagan, Just Says No to Obama
Obama to address Congress on Sept. 7 on jobs plan
RNC chair Reince Priebus, too, argued that the decision was a "thinly-veiled political ploy" driven by Mr. Obama's self-interest.

"President Obama's decision to address Congress at the same time as a long-scheduled Republican Presidential debate cements his reputation as Campaigner-in-Chief," Priebus said in a Wednesday statement. "While the White House claims it's simply a 'coincidence,' the American people can see right through that excuse."

"This is yet another reminder that the President is out of touch and out of ideas," he continued. "The only job he seems to care about is his own."

POLITICO and NBC News, who are co-hosting the Republican debate, have said that the event will not be postponed.

"We're thrilled that we now have a terrific opportunity to hear from national leaders of both major parties about the most pressing domestic issues facing the country," the two news organizations said in a joint statement on Wednesday.

Whether or not the debate time will be pushed remains unclear, but POLITICO's Jim VandeHei seemed to suggest in an appearance on MSNBC that it would follow Mr. Obama's speech.

"If you think about that debate, that NBC/POLITICO debate, it is high theater now - you have this big Obama speech talking about jobs, and now you're going to have these leading candidates having to respond to it in real time," he said. "And they're going to use that opportunity to go at each other to show who's better on those issues."

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said the timing of the speech was "coincidental."

"There's one president, there's 20-some-odd debates," Carney said in his daily briefing. "The candidates might enjoy the prospect of responding to the president."

When asked if the speech was scheduled to overshadow the GOP debate, Carney said, "of course not."

"No, of course not," he told reporters. "There were a lot of considerations. Once you want to do a speech to Congress and you have to deal with congressional schedules and there are many other factors here ... one debate of many that is on one channel of many was not enough reason not to have this speech at the time that we decided to have it."

He suggested that the debate could be pushed back to accommodate both events.

"If the sponsors so chose, and the candidates so chose to adjust the timing of their debate so that it didn't conflict, that would be completely fine with us in the spirit of democracy and that," Carney said.

Larry Sabato, director of University of Virginia's Center for Politics, said Mr. Obama's decision was surely intentional - and that, if the debate did indeed air following the president's remarks, it may have unintended consequences.

"It can't be an accident that Obama scheduled this for the night of the GOP debate," Sabato told Hotsheet. "So the obvious motive was to upstage them in the most dramatic way--a venue open only to a president, not his presidential rivals. As we have learned, opposition party members giving a formal response to a presidential speech are almost always outclassed."

Even so, Sabato noted that by delivering a major speech right before the GOP debate, Mr. Obama could actually be elevating the GOP debate - and ensuring that more people watched it.

"Maybe there's an unintended consequence here," Sabato says. "Obama has elevated the debate to a face-off with him, rather than among the GOP candidates. And the Republicans get the last word."

He continues: "Also, originally, this was just a one-cable net debate. Many potential viewers would have missed it entirely. Now all networks are bound to mention the drama that unfolds after the speech. No doubt the audience will be much larger, giving the Republicans a bigger platform than they would have had otherwise."

Still, some liberals applauded the move. Current TV's Keith Olbermann said in a tweet: "THIS is the Obama I like: Jobs Address to Joint Session of Congress 9/7 8 pm - same hour as GOP debate #PreemptThem"

Regardless, the question remains as to whether or not Mr. Obama will be able to deliver the speech as requested on September 7: House Speaker John Boehner responded to the president's request for a joint session by inviting him to do the address the following night, on September 8.
In a letter to the president on Wednesday afternoon, Boehner cited a lack of sufficient time to prepare the chamber for his address.

"With the significant amount of time - typically more than three hours - that is required to allow for a security sweep of the House Chamber before receiving a President, it is my recommendation that your address be held on the following evening, when we can ensure there will be no parliamentary or logistical impediments that might detract from your remarks," Boehner wrote. "As such, on behalf of the bipartisan leadership and membership of both the House and Senate, I respectfully invite you to address a Joint Session of Congress on Thursday, September 8, 2011 in the House Chamber, at a time that works best for your schedule."

The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation is hosting the debate in conjunction with NBC News and POLITICO, though it is scheduled to be broadcast on the cable channel MSNBC. Neither Politico nor the Reagan Foundation immediately responded to a request for comment.

petegz28
08-31-2011, 05:39 PM
I think it's a knee-jerk and dumb move on Obama's part. He may think he is pulling one over on the Repubs but he is just fueling the fire and adding ammo for them to rip him when they do have the debate. Nothing like a fool making a fool of himself in front of everyone right before you get ready to explain why the fool is a fool.

BucEyedPea
08-31-2011, 05:59 PM
So much for accusing of Rs in Congress putting up barriers. LOL!

Calcountry
08-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Dudes gotta talk when the 'prompter tells him to talk.

whoman69
08-31-2011, 06:05 PM
On the other hand, Boener offered to have him go up against opening night on the NFL. Posturing on both sides.

mlyonsd
08-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Boehner should just take the high road and let him do it on Wednesday. This just makes the administration look petty to anyone paying attention. The only ones that would watch him speak anyway are the ones that will believe anything he says and will vote for him no matter what.

Calcountry
08-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Boehner should just take the high road and let him do it on Wednesday. This just makes the administration look petty to anyone paying attention. The only ones that would watch him speak anyway are the ones that will believe anything he says and will vote for him no matter what.Bowener, should hold a press conference immediately upon completion of the Presidents speech and say the following, "Not this shit again". Presser over, walk away.

Bewbies
08-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Boehner could simply tell the country that we've heard this shit 2 years ago, and again last year. There's no need to waste the American people's time again, nor any reason to pursue something that has clearly failed in such an epic way.

alnorth
08-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Obama gets a lot of heat and idiotic partisan hack-ey criticism from republicans for the stupidest crap, but this isn't one of those times. Obama deserves every bit of criticism he gets for this. The debate was scheduled a really damned long time ago, and he can get congress and the networks to gather for this jobs speech any time he wants. There's no reason not to do it the day before or the day after. Probably why he quickly caved and rescheduled.

go bowe
08-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Boehner should just take the high road and let him do it on Wednesday. This just makes the administration look petty to anyone paying attention. The only ones that would watch him speak anyway are the ones that will believe anything he says and will vote for him no matter what.

perhaps you underestimate how interested independents are with respect to national politics...

HonestChieffan
08-31-2011, 08:56 PM
He could send in anyone to give the speech. Play it again Barry.

petegz28
08-31-2011, 08:58 PM
perhaps you underestimate how interested independents are with respect to national politics...

I agree. I think a lot of people would listen to him. But for reasons maybe one would not think. There are definitely the MSNBC, sychphant types. But I think there are people listening now to either confirm their beliefs that he was a bad choice and\or to see if he is actually going to say something worthwhile or just regurgitate is same ole' BS.

You do realize that last year at this time he said he would have a jobs plan, right after he got back from vacation even.

HonestChieffan
08-31-2011, 09:17 PM
OK. He changed it. Now he goes up against the NFL Opening night of the season. Super Duper. Bush made it happen.

go bowe
08-31-2011, 09:35 PM
OK. He changed it. Now he goes up against the NFL Opening night of the season. Super Duper. Bush made it happen.

why in hell wouldn't he reschedule for the day before the debate or the following week, we've waited this long, what's another week?

HonestChieffan
08-31-2011, 09:45 PM
why in hell wouldn't he reschedule for the day before the debate or the following week, we've waited this long, what's another week?

well i think Obama hates the NFL....

not as much as he hates republicans....

thats why his first pick was vs. R' debate (does anyone really watch these?)...

second was to go up against the NFL......

Its all about Jobs, Jobs, Jobs.

go bowe
08-31-2011, 10:14 PM
well i think Obama hates the NFL....

not as much as he hates republicans....

thats why his first pick was vs. R' debate (does anyone really watch these?)...

second was to go up against the NFL......

actually i do try to watch all the debates...

after all, one of these turkeys could end up being president of the united states...

HonestChieffan
08-31-2011, 10:18 PM
actually i do try to watch all the debates...

after all, one of these turkeys could end up being president of the united states...

Im old and cannot stay awake. I try to get the box score after. Its like me watching a Royals game. Or soccer. I actually hate soccer more than the debates when I think about it.

HonestChieffan
08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1CHdyv_zKCM/Tl368zsVDZI/AAAAAAABI8I/7I23fsPaLwQ/s400/obama-hat-magic.jpg

Taco John
08-31-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't know how Obama manufactured a controversy to make himself look weak right before he delivers the most important speech of his presidential career, but somehow, he came through.

go bowe
08-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Im old and cannot stay awake. I try to get the box score after. Its like me watching a Royals game. Or soccer. I actually hate soccer more than the debates when I think about it.

good lord, i know what you mean about watching baseball games...

soccer is almost as bad, right up there with golf and tennis...

ROYC75
08-31-2011, 10:54 PM
I don't know how Obama manufactured a controversy to make himself look weak right before he delivers the most important speech of his presidential career, but somehow, he came through.

Must of been his Harvard education?:shrug:

mikey23545
08-31-2011, 11:49 PM
He could send in anyone to give the speech. Play it again Barry.

Couldn't they just focus a tv camera on the teleprompter and show the whole speech that way?

Hell, they could dress the teleprompter up in a suit and tie and no one would probably notice it wasn't him.

mlyonsd
09-01-2011, 06:50 AM
perhaps you underestimate how interested independents are with respect to national politics...No I'm pretty sure independents want to hear something new instead of the same ole sad song.

Jenson71
09-01-2011, 06:58 AM

Agreed. Stupid move on the administration's part that came back to hit them in the face.

cookster50
09-01-2011, 07:02 AM

He's retired now, leave him alone.

Earthling
09-01-2011, 11:10 AM

This.

evenfall
09-01-2011, 11:24 AM
I really think this was just about trying to smokescreen the first Republican debate.

It's going to be a bash-Obamafest, and if they could divide the TV audience in half and prevent tens of millions of people from seeing and hearing what the candidates will say (I.e., the facts of Obamas record), it'd be a quick win for them.

This might be a tell for part of their general election strategy, try to drown events like this which won't favor them using the bully pulpit.

This will be the most watched debate. The leader just entered the race, its a lot of people's first chance to see him. Without major gaffes on Perry's part, this race might be over a lot sooner than people think. This one means the most to you, if you are trying to finagle an abject failure into a second term. They had to try it. I think they are beginning to feel the "desperate times" mood setting in.

petegz28
09-01-2011, 11:54 AM
I really think this was just about trying to smokescreen the first Republican debate.

It's going to be a bash-Obamafest, and if they could divide the TV audience in half and prevent tens of millions of people from seeing and hearing what the candidates will say (I.e., the facts of Obamas record), it'd be a quick win for them.

This might be a tell for part of their general election strategy, try to drown events like this which won't favor them using the bully pulpit.

This will be the most watched debate. The leader just entered the race, its a lot of people's first chance to see him. Without major gaffes on Perry's part, this race might be over a lot sooner than people think. This one means the most to you, if you are trying to finagle an abject failure into a second term. They had to try it. I think they are beginning to feel the "desperate times" mood setting in.

Actually quite the contrary. If Bohener was smart he would have agreed to Obama. One, it shows some sportsmanship. Two it allows Obama to get a fresh face in front of the people rattling off his BS. This could have and should have been used against him in the debate, i.e. we let him have his date to spew the same crap he has been spewing. See, we told you, he has no ideas.

Now he has the chance to revise his speech based on the debate rhetoric instead of the other way around.

Calcountry
09-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't know how Obama manufactured a controversy to make himself look weak right before he delivers the most important speech of his presidential career, but somehow, he came through.You know, it seems I have heard this before, like, right before every single one of his speeches and yet, each speech is shittier than the last.

ROYC75
09-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Obama probably figured since everything else was the Republicans fault ( in his eyes & every L ) he could blame the R's for not switching, trying to gain an edge.

Radar Chief
09-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Couldn't they just focus a tv camera on the teleprompter and show the whole speech that way?

Hell, they could dress the teleprompter up in a suit and tie and no one would probably notice it wasn't him.

Heh. Throw on a big pair of Mr. Potato Head ears and call it a day.

vaporizadordelmerd
09-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Jenson, do you have your vaseline and towel ready?