PDA

View Full Version : Auction of Snake Draft???

Sofa King
09-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Which is more fun. 12 teams. Several douchebags :).

OnTheWarpath58
09-01-2011, 10:25 AM
ROFL

Pestilence
09-01-2011, 10:27 AM
What a bitch move. :D

Sofa King
09-01-2011, 10:33 AM
I told you fuckers i was gonna start a poll.

I am a man of my word.

Old Dog
09-01-2011, 10:36 AM
This is another league preference thing. There is no wrong answer (other than "C"). I am the commissioner in two different leagues (a redraft we started in 1995 which has 9 of the original 12 owners and an auction keeper we started in 2002 that six of those same owners are in) and I enjoy them both. There are completely different strategies involved, but I love them both.

The biggest pro to an auction is that you can have any single player you'er willing to bid high enough on. There's not a concern you can't get AP because you are stuck drafting #12.
The biggest pros to a redraft for me is that it's more interesting during the draft to add trades and if you play in a group long enough you learn each others tendencies.

ChiefGator
09-01-2011, 10:51 AM
I like the idea of keeper auctions. Never been a part of either a keeper or an auction though.

Old Dog
09-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I like the idea of keeper auctions. Never been a part of either a keeper or an auction though.

Ours is a bit "different". A player once bought, can be kept for up to three seasons and must then go back in the auction. Each year he's kept his price goes up 20%. If someone is kept that wasn't bought at auction his price tag is the average of the top three players kept at his position.
You can get some oddities being kept while most of the bigger named guys (at least from the previous auction or two) are released. Of course you will have a couple of teams that have an absolute steal or two as well. This year we have a guy keeping Rodgers for $10. In 2008 he was bought for $5, then his price tag was $6 on '09, $8 last year.....thankfully he's back in the pool in 2012.

MoreLemonPledge
09-01-2011, 11:32 AM
I do both, and I enjoy them both. An auction is a truer measure of fantasy "skill", however.

Old Dog
09-01-2011, 11:38 AM
An auction is a truer measure of fantasy "skill", however.

Why do you feel this to be true? (Not flaming, just wondering)

I've heard many say this, but I really don't know that I've heard a viable answer to explain why it's believed to be true from a fantasy football standpoint.
From a poker standpoint, absolutely. If I can bid up a player I don't want that you do and make you spend more than I perceive he's worth I win that transaction is an easy concept to grasp. I just don't know that I believe one is harder than the other.

MoreLemonPledge
09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Why do you feel this to be true? (Not flaming, just wondering)

I've heard many say this, but I really don't know that I've heard a viable answer to explain why it's believed to be true from a fantasy football standpoint.
From a poker standpoint, absolutely. If I can bid up a player I don't want that you do and make you spend more than I perceive he's worth I win that transaction is an easy concept to grasp. I just don't know that I believe one is harder than the other.

Anybody can go into a draft with rankings in their hand and where they're supposed to slot and walk away with a decent team.

In an auction, you really need to know the players and their value. You could realistically walk away with any player you want. If you don't get a top 7 pick in a serpentine draft, you know you won't get a top flight RB.

Sofa King
09-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Not alot of non league action in this poll. LMAO

DJ's left nut
09-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Anybody can go into a draft with rankings in their hand and where they're supposed to slot and walk away with a decent team.

In an auction, you really need to know the players and their value. You could realistically walk away with any player you want. If you don't get a top 7 pick in a serpentine draft, you know you won't get a top flight RB.

And in an auction, you have to be able to change on the fly if need be.

I had what I figured was a fairly novel approach to my auction last season. As it turned out, 2 other folks had the same idea I had. Ultimately Andre Johnson ended up going for almost as much as a top flight RB and I bailed out of the bidding. The same thing happened with Calvin Johnson. Suddenly I had a bunch of money I'd budgeted for 2 guys that I didn't get. I had no real RBs to speak of and ended up in a world of hurt.

I scrambled around a bit, made some decent decisions and ended up salvaging the season (lost in the championship round by 8 points to the dude that picked up Josh Freeman when Rodgers went down...fuck you and your 5 TDs, Josh Freeman).

But in a snake draft, there's really not a lot of 'oh shit...time to rip up the draft cards and try something different' to it. You just cross off a name and go to the next guy on your list.

Auctions require more skill, IMO.

Pestilence
09-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Not alot of non league action in this poll. LMAO

Just fucking hurry up and pick one so that I can do my research.

Sofa King
09-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Just ****ing hurry up and pick one so that I can do my research.

I already know what i'm going to do (or do i?).

So i figure i got at least another 1/2 day of experience over you. LMAO

peterbilt
09-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Which is more fun. 12 teams. Several douchebags :).

Who is in your avatar?

Sofa King
09-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Who is in your avatar?

This chick i nail all the time.

Not really. Just some random chick i found on the intrawebz.