PDA

View Full Version : Environment Obama halts controversial EPA regulation

Donger
09-02-2011, 10:21 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-halts-controversial-epa-regulation-143731156.html

WASHINGTON (AP) President Barack Obama is sacking a controversial proposed regulation tightening government smog standards, bowing to the demands of congressional Republicans and some business leaders.

In a statement Friday, Obama said he had ordered Environmental Protection Agency administrator Lisa Jackson to withdraw the proposal, in part because of the importance of reducing regulatory burdens and uncertainty for businesses at a time of rampant uncertainty about an unsteady economy.

The announcement came shortly after a new government report on private sector employment report showed that businesses essentially added no new jobs last month and that the jobless rate remained stuck at a historically high 9.1 percent.

The withdrawal of the proposed EPA rule comes two days after the White House identified seven such regulations that it said would cost private business at least $1 billion each. The proposed smog standard was estimated to cost anywhere between $19 billion and $90 billion, depending on how strict it would be.

The smog standard was among the Obama administration regulations that House Republicans said this week they would try to block this fall.

The move is sure to raise the ire of environmentalists, a core Obama constituency. In his statement, Obama said he was still committed to protecting public health and the environment.

"I will continue to stand with the hardworking men and women at the EPA as they strive every day to hold polluters accountable and protect our families from harmful pollution," he said.

blaise
09-02-2011, 10:31 AM
"But this will cost us like 40 billion in healthcare costs."

Jenson71
09-02-2011, 10:39 AM
"But this will cost us like 40 billion in healthcare costs."

You don't think so?

This is a case of short-term hopes winning over long-term concerns. We hope to get the economy rolling, and future health concerns aren't going to stop us. Maybe it's the correct move, but do you really think there are no health consequences for having more air pollution?

patteeu
09-02-2011, 10:46 AM
You don't think so?

This is a case of short-term hopes winning over long-term concerns. We hope to get the economy rolling, and future health concerns aren't going to stop us. Maybe it's the correct move, but do you really think there are no health consequences for having more air pollution?

I don't. At least not enough to justify the cost of preventing them, even over the long run.

Jenson71
09-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't. At least not enough to justify the cost of preventing them, even over the long run.

Is there a certain amount point where you think it would be a good regulation?

blaise
09-02-2011, 10:53 AM
You don't think so?

I think the burden of showing the costs of halting the regulations would be on the people asking for a billion dollar tax, and not the other way around.

Hydrae
09-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Obama halts controversial proposed EPA regulation

FYT for accuracy

Jenson71
09-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I think the burden of showing the costs of halting the regulations would be on the people asking for a billion dollar tax, and not the other way around.

I agree. Are you unsatisfied with the EPA's work promoting this?

blaise
09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I agree. Are you unsatisfied with the EPA's work promoting this?

I wouldn't say I'm familiar with it. Are you?

patteeu
09-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Is there a certain amount point where you think it would be a good regulation?

Of course. I don't necessarily believe that we need to set even cleaner standards than we already have in place to get to that point though.

Jenson71
09-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't say I'm familiar with it. Are you?

Not quite. Their research is easily available though.

Here is their proposal document factsheet: http://www.epa.gov/airquality/oilandgas/pdfs/20110728factsheet.pdf

blaise
09-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Not quite. Their research is easily available though.

Here is their proposal document: http://www.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulemaking/retrospective/documents/eparetroreviewplan-aug2011.pdf

Ok, so do you think that proposal has information that justifies the cost of the regulations?

Jenson71
09-02-2011, 11:20 AM
I modified my last post because the link was incorrect.

Also, this site: http://www.epa.gov/airquality/oilandgas/ provides a lot of the links to further information regarding the amendments.

blaise
09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Please tell me you aren't reading those reports, jenson

Jenson71
09-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Please tell me you aren't reading those reports, jenson

No, life is too short. I can only skim them for "costs and benefits" headings.

planetdoc
04-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Court Upholds EPA Rule on Cross-State Pollution (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/court-revives-epa-rule-cross-state-pollution-23513478)
The Supreme Court on Tuesday handed the Obama administration an important victory in its effort to reduce power plant pollution in 27 Midwestern and Appalachian states that blows downwind and leads to unhealthy air.

The decision caps a decades-long effort by the Environmental Protection Agency to find a legally acceptable way to ensure that states are good neighbors and don't contribute to pollution problems in downwind states, where environmental officials can do nothing to control it. The rule upheld Tuesday was EPA's third attempt to solve the problem.

The ruling means that the polluting states will be forced to reduce smokestack pollution that sullies the air in downwind states. Industry and upwind states had fought the effort and paint it as another attempt by the administration to shut down coal-fired power plants.

HonestChieffan
04-29-2014, 02:27 PM
This should change everything. Time to crack down on Nebraska and their shit blowing here

stonedstooge
04-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Cool. Just got my prescriptions filled today and they DOUBLED in price. Hopefully, they can DOUBLE my electric bill so I won't have enough money to buy food anymore. Great way to lose weight!

LiveSteam
04-29-2014, 04:17 PM
the wind blows out of the south west in summer & Northwest in the winter.
Cosmo's queers hard at work again I see