PDA

View Full Version : Obama Thursdays speech may not be such a big deal after all..No Plan

HonestChieffan
09-02-2011, 07:34 PM
How embarrassed must the Obots be?

(Fox News) — In what could be a way of lowering expectations for next Thursday’s big economic speech, aides to President Obama are privately spreading word that he will not present his entire jobs plan in his address to a Joint Session of Congress.

Aides say Thursday’s speech will be part of a bigger plan the White House will roll out throughout the fall with the president hitting the road for speeches and town hall appearances. Aides have already confirmed that Obama will be traveling to California, Colorado, and Washington state for one three-day swing later this month that will include economic events as well as some fundraising.

The move could be a way to try and lower the stakes for Thursday’s Joint Session appearance, but it could also be an attempt by the administration to show the president is trying to stay all over the economy heading into what will likely be an uphill re-election battle.

“There’s no question the president will want to keep returning to jobs,” one top aide told Fox News. “I don’t want to downplay the speech [next week] — it’s going to be substantial. But the idea that this is the be-all and end-all is wrong.”

The president promised to release his plan to create jobs after returning from his Martha’s Vineyard vacation in late August and Friday’s report will put more pressure on him to deliver. But White House officials still say it’s unlikely the president will release the whole plan Thursday night.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/09/02/white-house-hints-more-economic-speeches-proposals-ahead

petegz28
09-02-2011, 08:06 PM
In other words, he doesn't really have a plan.

CoMoChief
09-02-2011, 08:24 PM
To be honest I don't even know what the hell this even means.

“There’s no question the president will want to keep returning to jobs,” one top aide told Fox News. “I don’t want to downplay the speech [next week] — it’s going to be substantial. But the idea that this is the be-all and end-all is wrong.”

He hasn't accomplished anything while he's been in office....just rah rah speak? Do Americans really expect anything more? Like some speech is supposed to turn around this country or at the minimum save this dumbass' campaign.

NaptownChief
09-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Seriously....if he held this speech during the NFL game and didn't force the network to break in the football coverage then nobody would watch his speech. So they want us to believe he has the answer for the economy? What, has he been holding back the last 3 years? What a joke.

HonestChieffan
09-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Empty suit. Plus teleprompter with words given to him.

dirk digler
09-02-2011, 09:38 PM
It is better to under promise and over deliver than the opposite.

He has no option but to go big with his job plan or it is going to be a long 14 months.

alnorth
09-02-2011, 11:18 PM
This speech is looking more and more like useless garbage. Not because of any article grabbed from out of a right-wing echo chamber, but because it now appears that the "infrastructure" investment is going to be mostly schools. Screw the roads and bridges apparently, rebuild schools.

I'm sure that a few schools here and there may need to be rebuilt but most communities give school districts power to levy their own taxes, and where they don't, the state usually isn't shy about getting money.

Fix the damned infrastructure first, and I mean the REAL infrastructure, not schools. A new shiny building isn't going to make the young gang thugs and illegal alien kids more eager to learn.

Warrior5
09-03-2011, 09:15 AM
I disagree... I think he's going to propose something significant, possibly a co-opted Repub idea that will infuriate the liberal base.

If I'm wrong, and he quadruples down and regurgitates more of the same, then he truly is a stupid man.

Setsuna
09-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Has the speech been done yet? Link it someone please. Even though I don't care for him at all, and have only seen him speak on Osama Bin Laden's death.

HonestChieffan
09-03-2011, 10:32 AM
I disagree... I think he's going to propose something significant, possibly a co-opted Repub idea that will infuriate the liberal base.

If I'm wrong, and he quadruples down and regurgitates more of the same, then he truly is a stupid man.

Its a campaign speech...create an issue is the game.

He knows and everyone else knows he wont get a bill that spends and fails again. But he can say all bad stuff that happens from here to the election is the R's fault. He wont propose anything that will get support. I'd venture to say he will loose support from Dems in congress as a result of this escapade. Especially those up for reelection...they have to distance themselves at this point or get sucked down in the undertow of the sinking Obama ship.

trndobrd
09-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Its a campaign speech...create an issue is the game.

He knows and everyone else knows he wont get a bill that spends and fails again. But he can say all bad stuff that happens from here to the election is the R's fault. He wont propose anything that will get support. I'd venture to say he will loose support from Dems in congress as a result of this escapade. Especially those up for reelection...they have to distance themselves at this point or get sucked down in the undertow of the sinking Obama ship.

The question is if Boehner is smart enough to make sure all of Obama's proposals get to the House floor for a vote.

KCTitus
09-03-2011, 12:33 PM
I think the speech will be more of the same...increase taxes on business and 'the rich' to give to those that are out of work. The latest leak I heard was the big proposal was to extend unemployment benefits. That doesnt do any thing to create jobs. People on unemployment dont create jobs.

Ive noticed a disturbing trend by the talking heads on the left, lately. Their mantra is that they need to take more from the private sector to distribute to the people in the name of 'balance and fairness'. It doesnt work, never has worked unless 'worked' is a synonym for creating dependents of the state and thus voters.

mlyonsd
09-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Green jobs.

Stinger
09-04-2011, 08:53 AM
He has no option but to go big with his job plan or it is going to be a long 14 months.

Like the previous 14+ month job market has been something to write home about.

:spock:

RedNeckRaider
09-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Green jobs.

I think he will try the "green shovel ready" jobs this time~

banyon
09-04-2011, 04:43 PM
I expect some mealy-mouthed half-hearted carefully measured equivocation of a speech.

It's been what his whole presidency has been. I don't expect it to change at this point.

He had his chance to lead, and he no longer can, even if he wanted to (which he won't).

RedNeckRaider
09-04-2011, 04:58 PM
I expect some mealy-mouthed half-hearted carefully measured equivocation of a speech.

It's been what his whole presidency has been. I don't expect it to change at this point.

He had his chance to lead, and he no longer can, even if he wanted to (which he won't).

Hard to hold it against him I guess. When was the last time we had a true leader?

patteeu
09-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Hard to hold it against him I guess. When was the last time we had a true leader?

About 2.5 years ago. Whether you agree with his policies or not, GWBush led from in front.

Donger
09-04-2011, 08:07 PM

Ouch.

petegz28
09-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Tax the rich more, tax the corporations more, spend another trillion on "shovel ready projects", extend unemployment and life will be good for all...

What else can he say? We bailed out the banks, granted under Bush, we bailed out GM, again under Bush but at the behest of Obama, we spent nearly a trillion on a supposed stimulus, we shoved a new health care system down everyone's throat, we have printed more money than charmin prints TP.....wtf else can he say?

His green jobs effort is falling apart before his eyes. His shovel ready project wasn't so shovel ready. I think he has blamed just about everyone he can for everything.

Dude should be toast, if only the Repubs could put up someone worth a shit.

Extra Point
09-05-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm still pissed off that Obama hasn't paid off my mortgage.

Cut tax breaks for offshore corporations. Make more stuff in this country. What else is there?

ClevelandBronco
09-05-2011, 07:50 PM
The Obama Jobs Plan: Maybe if Michelle kisses enough ass she can get her job back at the hospital after I get my ass shitcanned.

HonestChieffan
09-06-2011, 03:28 PM
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/179715-carney-blames-low-poll-numbers-on-frustration-toward-washington

Thursday’s jobs speech has reached epic expectations, and Carney said Obama will be unveiling new proposals that will have a “direct and immediate” impact on the economy, creating jobs right away.

yuck yuck keep building the expectations....first it was a plan, then not really, then an out line, now "direct and immediate"....why have we been forced to wait then?

whoman69
09-06-2011, 05:29 PM
The question is if Boehner is smart enough to make sure all of Obama's proposals get to the House floor for a vote.

Why not, Republicans will just fillibuster them anyway.

vailpass
09-06-2011, 05:42 PM

obama's fail is President Bush's fault, right?

HonestChieffan
09-06-2011, 06:27 PM

actually no. Under the rules of the house under Boehner, all amendments are heard, voted on. None of that happened under Pelosi rules. And in the senate a true filibuster is very difficult at the dem/rep levels we have. Are you a drug user?

Jaric
09-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Why would they filibuster when they have the majority?

banyon
09-06-2011, 08:51 PM
actually no. Under the rules of the house under Boehner, all amendments are heard, voted on. None of that happened under Pelosi rules. And in the senate a true filibuster is very difficult at the dem/rep levels we have. Are you a drug user?

What makes a filibuster difficult in our current Senate?

The present one has already set records for the number of bills filibustered hasn't it?