PDA

View Full Version : Computers Same mouse on 2 or 3 different computers

BWillie
09-05-2011, 01:27 AM
I want to have two different, possibly three different computers hooked up to 2 or possibly 3 different monitors. The monitors would be sitting right by each other, and I want to be able to use the same mouse to go back and forth to each monitor but while on 2-3 different computers.

Is this possible?

patteeu
09-05-2011, 06:35 AM
I want to have two different, possibly three different computers hooked up to 2 or possibly 3 different monitors. The monitors would be sitting right by each other, and I want to be able to use the same mouse to go back and forth to each monitor but while on 2-3 different computers.

Is this possible?

I can't answer your question, but why? Why not one mouse, two or three monitors and one computer?

Demonpenz
09-05-2011, 07:24 AM
he's trying to have 34 blackjack hands going on at one time with different IP addresses at blackjacknation.com. He wants to have 10 games of boggle on another screen (minimized) 2 games of angry birds, 4 games of tetris, excitebike, bassins black bass on the other ones. then he has nudes of Phil Helmuth on another screen. then he also has a game of video poker from a hoyal cd-rom he bought at dollar general

Fish
09-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Yes it is. Check out Synergy: http://synergy-foss.org/

It sounds confusing, but it's pretty easy to setup.

BWillie
09-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I can't answer your question, but why? Why not one mouse, two or three monitors and one computer?

Involves doing personal things while having a work computer.

BWillie
09-05-2011, 12:09 PM

This looks promising and what I'm looking for. Thanks, I will check it out. Rep to you

Fezzic
09-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I'd second the synergy recommendation.....shoot me a message if you need any help setting it up and I can send you a screenshot of my config. I've got 3 different comps on 4 monitors, all using the same keyboard/mouse. It's probably the single best piece of software ever written :)

Mr. Laz
09-07-2011, 10:58 AM
can't you just use a USB hub?

The hub is passive and has multiple connections.

Connect the hub to all 3 computers and then plug the single mouse into the hub. :shrug:

NewChief
09-07-2011, 10:59 AM
can't you just use a USB hub?

The hub is passive and has multiple connections.

Connect the hub to all 3 computers and then plug the single mouse into the hub. :shrug:

How would you "toggle" between computers?

QuikSsurfer
09-07-2011, 11:02 AM
How would you "toggle" between computers?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about a KVM switch rather than a "hub"

Mr. Laz
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty sure he's talking about a KVM switch rather than a "hub"yes, that's it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817403056

SLAG
09-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Synergy > KVM

morphius
09-07-2011, 11:19 AM
I use synergy as well, absolutely love it.

Mr. Laz
09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Synergy > KVM
fair enough man

just throwing options out there for him

AustinChief
09-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Synergy > KVM

only if you want a monitor per computer... otherwise KVM is much better. just depends on how much space you have.

BWillie
09-20-2011, 03:00 AM

I'm having trouble w/ the set up. I thought I followed directions, and I try to connect with the host computer and it says "failed to connect to server: Timed out stopped client"

Not sure where to go from here. Tried finagling it with a bunch of different choices but still not dice.

Fish
09-20-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm having trouble w/ the set up. I thought I followed directions, and I try to connect with the host computer and it says "failed to connect to server: Timed out stopped client"

Not sure where to go from here. Tried finagling it with a bunch of different choices but still not dice.

That's most likely a firewall issue. Follow the instructions here to troubleshoot it: http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/trouble.html#problem3

BWillie
09-25-2011, 05:59 PM

Connection timed out

The most likely reasons for this are:

A firewall

A firewall is a program or device that deliberately blocks network connections for security reasons. Typically, they'll silently drop packets they don't want rather than sending a rejection to the sender. This makes it more difficult for intruders to break in.

When synergy traffic hits a firewall and gets dropped, eventually the synergy client will give up waiting for a response and time out. To allow synergy traffic through first find all the firewalls on the network between and on the synergy client and server computers.

A firewall on the server or any network device between the server and any client should allow packets to TCP port 24800. (Port 24800 is the default; use whichever port you've selected.) You'll have to consult the manual for your operating system, device, or firewall software to find out how to do this.

Usually you'll won't need to adjust a firewall on client machines. That's because firewalls normally allow incoming traffic on any port they've initiated a connection on. The reasoning is, of course, if you started a conversation you probably want to hear the reply.
The network is down or busy

Correct the network problem and try again. You might try ping to see if the two computers can see each other on the network.
The server is frozen

If the synergy server is running but locked up or very busy then the client may get this message. If the server is locked up then you'll probably have to restart it. If it's just very busy then the client should successfully connect automatically once the server settles down.

Bah..I am screwed. I don't think I have access to my company's firewall to allow synergy?

BWillie
09-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Holy crap...I just got this working.. Is there a way to make the mouse response time better? It works, and I can use it.. it's just a little slow response on the other screen

BWillie
09-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Nevermind...fixed it..this is friggin cool. I now have literally 4 monitors, 1 laptop. All connected to 1 mouse and keyboard.