PDA

View Full Version : Electronics USB to phone jack

88TG88
09-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Is there such a thing as a usb to phone jack cord ?

I think I might need one.

Rep to anyone who gives me links or info

DaFace
09-06-2011, 12:51 PM
You're gonna have to be a little more specific on what you're trying to do.

OnTheWarpath58
09-06-2011, 12:52 PM
You're gonna have to be a little more specific on what you're trying to do.

Yeah, I gotta say I'm curious. I'm not tech-savvy, so I'm wondering what would necessitate something like this.

loochy
09-06-2011, 12:56 PM
They don't make them because you need to change the analog signal of a phone line into a digital signal that can be used by the USB protocol.

You will have to do this: computer>usb cable>modem>phone cord>phone jack

Fish
09-06-2011, 12:58 PM
http://www.amazon.com/2Wire-Port-Phoneline-10Mbps-Adapter/dp/B00006IDFW

But I have $20 that says you're not going to be able to do whatever it is you're thinking you're gonna do...

88TG88
09-06-2011, 01:06 PM
My sister is in Germany and her laptop doesnt have the modem/ethernet slot.

So shes assuming a usb-phone cable will plug in and get the internet.

For a twenty dollar cable i'll take a chance and see if she can figure it out.

DaFace
09-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Ah. Then yes - you can buy a USB modem (to connect to a dialup internet connection) or a USB ethernet adapter (to connect to a cable or DSL internet connection). You'll need to know which type she's trying to connect to in order to know what to buy, but very few people are using dialup anymore, so you probably need something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-USB300M-Cisco-Linksys-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001NLV4TQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315332683&sr=1-1

Fish
09-06-2011, 01:12 PM
My sister is in Germany and her laptop doesnt have the modem/ethernet slot.

So shes assuming a usb-phone cable will plug in and get the internet.

For a twenty dollar cable i'll take a chance and see if she can figure it out.

No, it will not do that. You can't just magically plug in a phone cord and have it translate that into internet access. There's no need to "take a chance". What you're doing requires an actual modem, which is what translates your phone signal into a usable internet signal.

Fish
09-06-2011, 01:15 PM
If she currently has internet through an ethernet cable, then get the USB to ethernet adapter that DaFace listed.

Otherwise, you'll have to get a USB modem. But even if you went that route, she'd have to pay her phone company for internet access.

DaFace
09-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Oh, and note that she'll need some sort of internet PROVIDER to make this work no matter what she's doing. If she's on a college campus or anything like that, they might provide it for free, but otherwise, she'll need to be paying someone for internet. And if she does, they'll probably be the ones to ask what she'll need.

88TG88
09-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Ah. Then yes - you can buy a USB modem (to connect to a dialup internet connection) or a USB ethernet adapter (to connect to a cable or DSL internet connection). You'll need to know which type she's trying to connect to in order to know what to buy, but very few people are using dialup anymore, so you probably need something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-USB300M-Cisco-Linksys-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001NLV4TQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315332683&sr=1-1

I think this is what I need. My sister has a Macbook Air and one of the reviews said this worked with the air.

If they dont have Wifi yet I wouldnt put it past them to also still be on dial up, though

edit: Yes, its a college campus so Im assuming they provide the service.

DaFace
09-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I think this is what I need. My sister has a Macbook Air and one of the reviews said this worked with the air.

If they dont have Wifi yet I wouldnt put it past them to also still be on dial up, though

edit: Yes, its a college campus so Im assuming they provide the service.

I'd be floored if a college campus used dialup. At least not one outside of central Africa. The gizmo I liked to should do the trick.

88TG88
09-06-2011, 01:25 PM
thx guyz <3

RustShack
09-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I have a friend who needs a phone line for work to send info every friday. Problem is none of us have a phoneline anymore so when hes in town we have to drive to find someone who does. Anyway to convert it to a usb and do it through a computer?

Fish
09-06-2011, 05:37 PM
I have a friend who needs a phone line for work to send info every friday. Problem is none of us have a phoneline anymore so when hes in town we have to drive to find someone who does. Anyway to convert it to a usb and do it through a computer?

That depends on a lot. Mainly why your friend needs a phone line, and can't use wireless or ethernet to send his info. That makes no sense at all. Or are you saying he doesn't have wireless or ethernet on his laptop?

All too confusing...

AustinChief
09-06-2011, 05:41 PM
That depends on a lot. Mainly why your friend needs a phone line, and can't use wireless or ethernet to send his info. That makes no sense at all. Or are you saying he doesn't have wireless or ethernet on his laptop?

All too confusing...

I'm guessing he doesn't use the interwebs at all but instead transmits via modem directly to the main office or whatever... for security reasons.

That's some OLD SCHOOL shit right there!

RustShack
09-06-2011, 05:46 PM

All too confusing...

I think the handheld he has only has a phone jack on it. But I'm not completely sure.

AustinChief
09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
I think the handheld he has only has a phone jack on it. But I'm not completely sure.

ok wait, "handheld"? I assumed he was dialing in with a computer... what exactly is this handheld?

Fish
09-06-2011, 05:51 PM

If that's the case, then there's not much to be done. It may be possible to use something like Majicjack, and plug the handheld into the Majicjack, which plugs into a computer and uses your computer's internet connection to make phone calls. But there's a good chance that wouldn't work on a VoIP setup like that. It would be a cheap handy solution if it did though..

DaFace
09-06-2011, 05:52 PM

About the only easy solution I could think of would be for him to get some sort of VOIP setup (a la Vonage) and carry it around with him all the time. That'd run him $25ish per month, though.

Fish
09-06-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm guessing it's a "dial home" data recording device of some kind that still uses landline for communication. Sounds old.....

AustinChief
09-06-2011, 05:58 PM
If you go voip route, check and make sure the provider supports ITU-T V.150.1