PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Should Fast food Places join the food stamp business?

HonestChieffan
09-06-2011, 11:16 PM
This seems wrong on so many levels

More restaurants are targeting customers who use food stamps
By Jonathan Ellis and Megan Luther, USA TODAY Updated 11h 50m ago

The number of businesses approved to accept food stamps grew by a third from 2005 to 2010, U.S. Department of Agriculture records show, as vendors from convenience and dollar discount stores to gas stations and pharmacies increasingly joined the growing entitlement program.

Now, restaurants, which typically have not participated in the program, are lobbying for a piece of the action.

Louisville-based Yum! Brands, whose restaurants include Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver's and Pizza Hut, is trying to get restaurants more involved, federal lobbying records show.
STORY: More retailers say yes to food stamps

That's a prospect that anti-hunger advocates welcome, but one that worries some current food stamp vendors and public health advocates.

Federal rules generally prohibit food stamp benefits, which are distributed under the USDA's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), from being exchanged for prepared foods. Yet a provision dating to the 1970s allows states to allow restaurants to serve disabled, elderly and homeless people, USDA spokeswoman Jean Daniel said.
Between 2005 and 2010, the number of businesses certified in the SNAP program went from about 156,000 to nearly 209,000, according to USDA data.

There is big money at stake. USDA records show food stamp benefits swelled from $28.5 billion to $64.7billion in that period.

Four states accept restaurants, with Florida the most recent to begin a program.
"It makes perfect sense to expand a program that's working well in California, Arizona and Michigan, enabling the homeless, elderly and disabled to purchase prepared meals with SNAP benefits in a restaurant environment," Yum! spokesman Jonathan Blum said.
The National Restaurant Association supports Yum!, said spokeswoman Katie Laning Niebaum, but the National Association of Convenience Stores does not.

"If the pie's only so big, nobody's going to want to see the pie sliced thinner," said Convenience Stores spokesman Jeff Lenard. "I'm not sure that's in the best interest of public health."

Kelly Brownell, director of Yale's Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity, says encouraging more fast-food consumption is not good for people's health. "It's preposterous that a company like Yum! Brands would even be considered for inclusion in a program meant for supplemental nutrition."

"They think going hungry is better?" counters Edward Cooney of the Congressional Hunger Center. "I'm solidly behind what Yum! is doing."

BigMeatballDave
09-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Stupid.

Fucking corporate bullshit.

There should be serious restrictions on food stamps.

Bump
09-07-2011, 12:12 AM
FUCK THAT

rice
dry beans
fresh veggies
cheap ass meat like pork and chicken
milk
eggs
flour
veg oil
cereal
baby food
diapers

should be about the ONLY shit available with food stamps or EBT cards

these idiots should also be cut off if they have another kid after they got on the food stamps, fool me once motherfuckers

Earthling
09-07-2011, 12:50 AM
**** THAT

rice
dry beans
fresh veggies
cheap ass meat like pork and chicken
milk
eggs
flour
veg oil
cereal
baby food
diapers

should be about the ONLY shit available with food stamps or EBT cards

these idiots should also be cut off if they have another kid after they got on the food stamps, fool me once mother****ers

Need to add coat hangers to the list.

Easy 6
09-07-2011, 12:55 AM
No

Rausch
09-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Food stamps are out there so people don't starve.

NOT so people can get a grande meal with nachos...

Earthling
09-07-2011, 01:03 AM
No

If you were referencing 'No.' to my statement then I'm not sure you understand what I was implying. If you limit food stamps to single child parent(s) you will probably see more abortions.

I'm not sure if a Food Storage type warehouse that was the only place food stamps could be redeemed wouldn't be a more viable option then what we currently have, but the fast food places should definitely not be on the list.

ClevelandBronco
09-07-2011, 02:20 AM
You go, middle class! It's a strange brand of class envy you're practicing, but as long as it releases some of your anger and fear, go for it!

blaise
09-07-2011, 04:40 AM
How do they show the person is elderly, homeless, or disabled? Does the recipient get some kind of a card or is it just a sight test?

Mr. Flopnuts
09-07-2011, 05:57 AM
You go, middle class! It's a strange brand of class envy you're practicing, but as long as it releases some of your anger and fear, go for it!

LMAO Save the rich! Eat the poor! Fucking idiots.

Amnorix
09-07-2011, 06:35 AM
JFC.

blaise
09-07-2011, 07:04 AM
It seems like it's directed at people who might have trouble preparing their own meals. If that's the case I don't have a problem with it. I just don't know how they would enforce that. I don't see what would stop anyone with food stamps from using them at Taco Bell. Is the cashier supposed to argue about whether the person is homeless or not?

mlyonsd
09-07-2011, 07:05 AM
WTF is a Congressional Hunger Center?

KILLER_CLOWN
09-07-2011, 07:11 AM
You should only be able to use food stamps on healthy items.

ClevelandBronco
09-07-2011, 07:57 AM
You should only be able to use food stamps on healthy items.

That comes after the companies line up to feed at the government trough. New regs for the folks recieving aid, new regs for the companies collecting aid, new government jobs for the monthly jobs report.

Jaric
09-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Listen, this is very simple.

Either give them the money to spend how they choose and STFU when they spend it on stupid shit you don't agree with.

Or.

Instead of giving them foodstamps, just give them actual food instead.

If you want to control what they eat, then control it.

stevieray
09-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Either give them the money to spend how they choose and STFU when they spend it on stupid shit you don't agree with.

Or.

thread/

mnchiefsguy
09-07-2011, 04:51 PM

Or.

This pretty much sums it up.

Rain Man
09-07-2011, 06:25 PM

Or.

I really like Option B.

Jaric
09-07-2011, 06:31 PM
I really like Option B.

It would probably be cheaper since the government could buy the food directly from wholesalers and cut out the middleman. You could even work out a couple of different "baskets" so that people would have options.

Not to mention that the people who abuse the system wouldn't have nearly as much success doing so.

HonestChieffan
09-07-2011, 06:37 PM
It would probably be cheaper since the government could buy the food directly from wholesalers and cut out the middleman. You could even work out a couple of different "baskets" so that people would have options.

Not to mention that the people who abuse the system wouldn't have nearly as much success doing so.

The government never takes the least cost option.

banyon
09-07-2011, 07:41 PM

I like that option too.

Would probably encourage people to stop abusing it quite so much.

Jaric
09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I like that option too.

Would probably encourage people to stop abusing it quite so much.

I bet Michelle would like the idea since if they are controling what goes in the "baskets" we could make sure everything in there was healthy.

We might even be able to have some of those farmers we've been subsidizing to actually grow food instead and just use the money for the subsidies to pay for the food saving even more money (no idea if that's plausible or not just thinking out loud really)

We might even up saving some money on medicaid and medicare if people are eating healthier they would be healthier and require less medical care (possibly, again thinking out lout)

Bob Dole
09-08-2011, 10:38 AM

You mean something like this? http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/programs/csfp/

Jaric
09-08-2011, 10:42 AM
You mean something like this? http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/programs/csfp/

Sounds like it yeah, although I'm not personally familiar with that particular program. Anyone know if it's been successful or not?

Bob Dole
09-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Anyone know if it's been successful or not?

When has that ever been a factor in discontinuing or extending a government program? :)

No clue. Bob Dole has been a proponent of a system like WIC, where you get vouchers for specific food items that meet nutritional requirements, for years.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/

fan4ever
09-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Or.

That's a bit of a slippery slope; same to be said for housing vouchers, etc?

alpha_omega
09-08-2011, 11:03 AM
This is a little off topic, but i was wondering....if you are using food stamps, can you use coupons also?

orange
09-08-2011, 11:26 AM
This is a little off topic, but i was wondering....if you are using food stamps, can you use coupons also?

I know, I know!

Yes. At least you could in the '80s.

Bob Dole
09-08-2011, 12:12 PM

Isn't that what Section 8 is?

Jaric
09-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Isn't that what Section 8 is?

Appears Bob Dole was faster than Jaric was.

Rain Man
09-08-2011, 01:23 PM

Maybe they're afraid that it would lead to a big black market in broccoli.

It could work in my favor. I can envision people standing outside my grocery store offering me ten bucks worth of broccoli for a Snickers bar, and I like broccoli.

durtyrute
09-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Fast food places should be eliminated.

Bob Dole
09-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Fast food places should be eliminated.

Because that's what's best for all those idiots out there who don't know what's good for them!

Jaric
09-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Because that's what's best for all those idiots out there who don't know what's good for them!

Jaric recognizes Bob Dole's sarcasm, however, in this case Bob Dole is 100% correct.

(Not that Jaric is advocating removing fast food restaurants, only that it is what's best for those who don't know what's good for them)

Garcia Bronco
09-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Being on food stamps should be so difficult that people don't want to use them or get off them.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Being on food stamps should be so difficult that people don't want to use them or get off them.

Weaning 50 million off of food stamps will be a hard sell for sure, just fyi.

Bump
09-08-2011, 11:09 PM

I bet none of them use coupons too, they should certainly be encouraged to use them.

Garcia Bronco
09-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Weaning 50 million off of food stamps will be a hard sell for sure, just fyi.

They'll learn. If not, they could opt for work camps where their every moment can be planned for them. We don't even have to do anything. Prisons and military bases already exist.

listopencil
09-09-2011, 11:29 PM
"It makes perfect sense to expand a program that's working well in California, Arizona and Michigan, enabling the homeless, elderly and disabled to purchase prepared meals with SNAP benefits in a restaurant environment," Yum! spokesman Jonathan Blum said.

The National Restaurant Association supports Yum!, said spokeswoman Katie Laning Niebaum, but the National Association of Convenience Stores does not.

"They think going hungry is better?" counters Edward Cooney of the Congressional Hunger Center. "I'm solidly behind what Yum! is doing."

Good Lord. Can they just announce exactly what it is w/o the PC bullshit? Fast Food wants to accept food stamps because it would be an increase in revenue. Your local gas station gets pissed at that because they also offer ready-to-eat unhealthy crap but they can't figure out how to pretend to be a restaurant like the fast food places do. Meanwhile a spokesperson for a hunger related charity is trying to steal some of the attention and hoping that there is enough hype to go around.