PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Just when you didn't think it could get any more petty

mlyonsd
09-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Pelosi Peeved Republicans Opt Out of Rebuttal to Obama Speech

Published September 07, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Republicans have decided they're not going to give a rebuttal to President Obama's jobs speech later this week, a decision House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/nancy-pelosi.htm#r_src=ramp) took as a high affront to the White House (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/white-house.htm#r_src=ramp).

At least three GOP lawmakers also have announced they're not going to show up for the presidential address. House Speaker John Boehner's office then confirmed Tuesday evening that nobody from the party would deliver an official televised response.

Pelosi said the party's "silence" would "speak volumes about their lack of commitment to creating jobs."

"The Republicans' refusal to respond to the president's proposal on jobs is not only disrespectful to him, but to the American people," Pelosi said.

But Boehner spokesman Mike Steel said Obama's proposals on Thursday "will rise or fall on their own merits," suggesting a GOP response was not needed.

"Republicans are, and have been, entirely focused on job creation. Every member of Congress, and -- more importantly -- the American people, will provide a reaction to the president's address," Steel said.

Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., said there will be "plenty" of response to the president's speech on Friday, but told Fox News he suspects the reason there's no formal response is "the speaker doesn't expect to hear much to respond to."

Some members of Congress, though, won't be there when Obama delivers his address to a Joint Session of Congress.

Sen. Jim DeMint (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/jim-demint.htm#r_src=ramp), R-S.C., has said he doesn't think he'll attend -- he told Fox News he's "sick and tired of speeches." Rep. Joe Walsh (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/rep-joe-walsh.htm#r_src=ramp), R-Ill., also said he'd skip, writing on his Twitter (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/twitter.htm#r_src=ramp) page that he has no interest in being a "prop" for Obama's speech. Rep. Paul Broun, R-Ga., will not attend either.

Dana Perino (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/dana-marie-perino.htm#r_src=ramp), former press secretary for George W. Bush (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/george-bush.htm#r_src=ramp), said the lawmakers should attend the session because "you're an elected leader, and it's quite a privilege to be able to be there."

As for a GOP rebuttal, Perino said there is a downside to it in that it always makes the opposition look small in comparison to the president.

"This is not a State of the Union address, but still tradition would say there should be a rebuttal. I don't think it's necessary, the game is starting," Perino said, referring to the first game of the NFL season, which immediately follows the president's speech.

Perino said congressional leaders have opened Statuary Hall in the Capitol to allow any member of Congress to talk to the media.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/07/republicans-opt-not-to-give-rebuttal-to-obama-speech-ticking-off-pelosi/

mathews
09-07-2011, 08:11 AM
good post .

kc rush
09-07-2011, 08:12 AM
I don't care about the formal response especially when everyone will be available for interviews right after.

It is petty if those three don't show up. Show some respect for the office even if you don't respect the man.

Jaric
09-07-2011, 08:16 AM
First off, it can always get more petty.

Secondly, this speech is little more than a campaign add. Lots of sizzle but no steak. I don't see how attending or not attending the speech will matter one iota.

At this point, Obama has the feel of an NFL coach who has lost his team.

HonestChieffan
09-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Wonder just how bad the tv ratings will be. Obama speech fatigue has to be setting in.

Chiefshrink
09-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Why would you show up when your POTUS just pulled this "sophmoric stunt" attempting to show up the GOP debates?

The only thing this "usurper" in the oval office is serious about is "destroying" America, PERIOD!!

BTW, Dana Perino is a very "smug RINO". Of course she would say the Repubs should show up and give a rebuttal. She is all about "coming to the middle" which is the RINO's mantra.

In order to save this country "We The People" can't come to the middle, PERIOD!!!

Jenson71
09-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Why would you show up when your POTUS just pulled this "sophmoric stunt" attempting to show up the GOP debates?

The only thing this "usurper" in the oval office is serious about is "destroying" America, PERIOD!!

BTW, Dana Perino is a very "smug RINO". Of course she would say the Repubs should show up and give a rebuttal. She is all about "coming to the middle" which is the RINO's mantra.

In order to save this country "We The People" can't come to the middle, PERIOD!!!

Perino said they should show up, and that it isn't necessary to give a rebuttal, you extremist goon.

Chiefshrink
09-07-2011, 08:38 AM
you extremist goon.

:crybaby: You are such a pussy :rolleyes:

What comes around goes around and Obama brought this on himself :shrug:

Chief Faithful
09-07-2011, 08:42 AM
The message is clear from the Republican leaders, if you can't put a plan on paper don't count on us attending the speeches.

Jenson71
09-07-2011, 08:47 AM
:crybaby: You are such a pussy :rolleyes:

What comes around goes around and Obama brought this on himself :shrug:

It's entirely the Congressmen's power to attend the speech. Common respect for the office and the country's government says they should, not the President.

And yeah, you're an extremist. You're about as black/white prism as al-Qaida and Noam Chomsky.

Chiefshrink
09-07-2011, 08:48 AM
The message is clear from the Republican leaders, if you can't put a plan on paper don't count on us attending the speaches.

Precisely:thumb:
Don't waste our time anymore, please Mr.Zero!

BucEyedPea
09-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Common respect for the office and the country's government says they should, not the President.
I seem to recall, that this was used by the right on the anti-Bush crowd.

And yeah, you're an extremist. You're about as black/white prism as al-Qaida and Noam Chomsky.

That doesn't make someone an extremist.

Chiefshrink
09-07-2011, 08:51 AM
It's entirely the Congressmen's power to attend the speech. Common respect for the office and the country's government says they should, not the President.

Then "Usurper Zero" needs to start respecting "We The People" FIRST not the other way around.

And "THERE" is the "idealogue difference" Jentzy Boy!!:thumb:

Jenson71
09-07-2011, 08:54 AM

Yeah, it generally does.

Chiefshrink
09-07-2011, 08:56 AM
I seem to recall, that this was used by the right on the anti-Bush crowd.

The color "grey" is the worshipped color of the radical lefty Marxists because then you can live in continual "relativism" without any hint of "absolutism" thus there are no moral absolutes thus you can live anyway you want and thus you are reduced down to a mere "animal unit" that better produce or you die. :thumb:

Jenson71
09-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Then "Usurper Zero" needs to start respecting "We The People" FIRST not the other way around.

And "THERE" is the "idealogue difference" Jentzy Boy!!:thumb:

Declining to take up Tea Party rhetoric is not disrespecting "We The People." We The People are not 20% of the American population. It's closer to 100%.

Jenson71
09-07-2011, 09:04 AM
The color "grey" is the worshipped color of the radical lefty Marxists because then you can live in continual "relativism" without any hint of "absolutism" thus there are no moral absolutes thus you can live anyway you want and thus you are reduced down to a mere "animal unit" that better produce or you die. :thumb:

The confidence in your ignorance is quite a sight to see. It's that mix of pragmatic politics and religious doctrine that makes Islamic political demands spoken from the mouths of mullahs such a delicate issue to Westerners.

Of course, you're Christian, so your politics has to be correct.

suzzer99
09-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Much like 'schedule-gate', I will always remember where I was when I heard this shocking news. I just hope I can put it in proper context for my grandkids. But for now the emotion is just too raw for me to think straight.

alpha_omega
09-07-2011, 11:07 AM
On the surface, it does seem a little petty.

However, anything that peeves Pelosi is ok with me.

evenfall
09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
This is a brilliant move. Obama wants to grandstand and look presidential while continuing his say nothing/do nothing jobs program.

The debate the night before will feature all kinds of alternatives and responses to Obama's record. Then he will arrive with some empty platitudes just like in the campaign. He is "more of the same, keep burrowing into the silt". There doesn't need to be any response. He will rebut himself for us.

go bowe
09-07-2011, 01:22 PM

animal unit?

kewl...

WV
09-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Secondly, this speech is little more than a campaign add. Lots of sizzle but no steak. I don't see how attending or not attending the speech will matter one iota.

This

Taco John
09-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I think that politically, this is a solid move. I think any rebuttal would be used against them, and no rebuttal at all allows them to gauge how their constituents take it before committing themselves to a response. I suspect that the reaction to it is going to be mixed. I'm personally expecting the introduction of some national bank around the idea of infrastructure investment. I'm curious how the Republican base would react to that - probably very mixed.

Saul Good
09-07-2011, 02:16 PM
So the Democrats are mad that the Republicans aren't going to argue against Obama right after his speech?

FishingRod
09-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Ok

“ Everything that guy before me said was a steaming pile of feces” Isn’t that about what the normal rebuttal amounts to? I can see why they would feel the American people would feel ripped off having missed that just one more time.

Saul Good
09-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Ok

“ Everything that guy before me said was a steaming pile of feces” Isn’t that about what the normal rebuttal amounts to? I can see why they would feel the American people would feel ripped off having missed that just one more time.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v4KR1zVqizo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RedNeckRaider
09-07-2011, 03:50 PM
So the Democrats are mad that the Republicans aren't going to argue against Obama right after his speech?

Why bother? He will offer nothing new. He will spew catch phrases and try to recapture his American Idol image. This is nothing more than a campaign ad. Even his most loyal fans have tired of his teleprompter readings. Uh...yeah you still talk pretty scooter and we have heard it all before~

VAChief
09-07-2011, 03:56 PM
animal unit?

kewl...

LMAO

InChiefsHell
09-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I believe that the perception is that Obama is the one who has lost respect for the office (though I don't think he ever had it). He's been on a 3 year campaign for re-election, and the Republicans have FINALLY decided screw this. It IS a joke and all the whining from Pelosi actually serves to make the Dems look even worse. I'm not really happy with the establishment Republicans, but I do applaud this move indeed. Hell, none of them should show up...

Stewie
09-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Why would anyone rebut a stupid plan? Let it stand on its own.

suzzer99
09-07-2011, 04:27 PM
I believe that the perception is that Obama is the one who has lost respect for the office (though I don't think he ever had it). He's been on a 3 year campaign for re-election, and the Republicans have FINALLY decided screw this. It IS a joke and all the whining from Pelosi actually serves to make the Dems look even worse. I'm not really happy with the establishment Republicans, but I do applaud this move indeed. Hell, none of them should show up...

Lol yeah the republicans were playing so nice with him before this. Good to know they've finally decided to stand up to Obama and started trying to thwart him at ever turn.

vailpass
09-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Lol yeah the republicans were playing so nice with him before this. Good to know they've finally decided to stand up to Obama and started trying to thwart him at ever turn.

A real Potus would have handled them early and often with the advantages he had in House and Senate.
Cry for obama all you want but expect no sympathy for the boy who would be king.

suzzer99
09-07-2011, 04:45 PM
He got Obamacare passed, which is a minor miracle. He only had a fillibuster-proof majority for like 14 weeks, and in that time he managed to get something that many presidents had failed in the past.

http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2010/09/about-filibuster-proof-majority

Well, let's at least get our history straight. Until Al Franken was sworn in on July 7, the Democratic caucus in the Senate stood at 59. After that it was technically up to 60, but Ted Kennedy hadn't cast a vote in months and was housebound due to illness. He died a few weeks later and was replaced by Paul Kirk on September 24, finally bringing the Democratic majority up to 60 in practice as well as theory. After that the Senate was in session for 11 weeks before taking its winter recess, followed by three weeks until Scott Brown won Kennedy's seat in the Massachusetts special election.

So that means Democrats had an effective filibuster-proof majority for about 14 weeks.

You do know this republican minority has absolutely shattered the record for # of fillibusters right? They've completely abandoned any pretense of creating reasonable legislation in favor of destroying Obama at all costs, regardless of what might be best for the country.

RedNeckRaider
09-07-2011, 04:53 PM
He got Obamacare passed
The bill that no one bothered to read. You must be very proud! A household making 60k a year qualifies for Medicaid~

suzzer99
09-07-2011, 05:07 PM
There's just so much wrong in that I have no idea where to start.

vailpass
09-07-2011, 05:18 PM
There's just so much wrong in that I have no idea where to start.

Most of us feel the same way. Hopefully the SCOTUS will strike it down.
You are referring to obamascare, aren't you?

suzzer99
09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Don't you have some black people to go chase out of your neighborhood?

Saul Good
09-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Don't you have some black people to go chase out of your neighborhood?

Now you've got him in the crushing grip of reason.

dirk digler
09-07-2011, 08:29 PM
That is pretty petty and honestly I am really not that interested in his speech tomorrow or any kind of response.

Just get to work to turn this economy around and get people back to work. That is what he will be judged on come November period end of story.

Dave Lane
09-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Actually they are completely laying out their position. Every idea they have will be espoused.

RJ
09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
There is seldom a week that I don't have to attend at least one meeting I consider pointless. But it's part of my job and now and again it turns out I'm wrong. Generally speaking, I think our elected leaders should at least have the courtesy to show up. Like Woody Allen said, it's 50% of success.

ClevelandBronco
09-07-2011, 10:04 PM
You do know this republican minority has absolutely shattered the record for # of fillibusters right? They've completely abandoned any pretense of creating reasonable legislation in favor of destroying Obama at all costs, regardless of what might be best for the country.

Destroying Obama is what's best for the country.

Guru
09-08-2011, 01:16 AM

So its official. Obama is Herman Edwards.

InChiefsHell
09-08-2011, 05:32 AM

Except Herman is fun to listen to...

InChiefsHell
09-08-2011, 05:37 AM

You don't get it. He's so far off the reservation that even the formalities and niceties are not worth observing. You can blame the republicans all you want, or you can finally admit that this guy is a plastic president who has zero leadership abilities, has never tried to work with Republicans (until he HAD to) and has an agenda that the Republicans absolutely disagree with. Shoving that abortion of a Health Care deal down our throats was scary, and the way he did it pissed a lot of people off. When you piss a lot of people off, you are going to be treated like dog shit.

Again, if I were a Republican Rep, I'd skip it too. It's just another show by the president who is all show and no go. He sucks, and they are just allowing the country to see it for themselves.

donkhater
09-08-2011, 05:41 AM

And you know that the country was basically behind them in doing so, right? Witness the biggest turnover in the House in history for mid-year elections.

There's nothing wrong with a filibuster. It prevents rule by majority and requires a flow of ideas. Democrats who criticize Republicans for being too idealistic need to take a look in the mirror, particularly those who just a few years prior called the filibuster a patriotic act.

patteeu
09-08-2011, 05:48 AM
That is pretty petty and honestly I am really not that interested in his speech tomorrow or any kind of response.

Just get to work to turn this economy around and get people back to work. That is what he will be judged on come November period end of story.

When are you finally going to decide that he's failed?

mlyonsd
09-08-2011, 07:02 AM
I've come to the conclusion the only way to make everyone happy is after Obama's speech Boehner walks up to the microphone and yells ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!

InChiefsHell
09-08-2011, 07:27 AM
I've come to the conclusion the only way to make everyone happy is after Obama's speech Boehner walks up to the microphone and yells ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!

That would actually rock!

Jaric
09-08-2011, 08:15 AM

I dare someone to tell me our country doesn't have the feel of a Hermed team.

Chiefshrink
09-08-2011, 08:21 AM

The difference though is that Herm actually meant for good and had no axe to grind whereas "OMarxist" truly means harm to America as we know it and make the "White Man's Constitution" (as he sees it) irrelevant which he has done quite effectively:thumb:

Chiefshrink
09-08-2011, 08:28 AM

I just did because all this is done on purpose and not due to "true incompetence" like Herm. Jimmy Carter was a well meaning Herm. "O" and the Lefties know what works economically from a free market capitalistic perspective BUT this is not what they want and why IMO this is not a Herm situation.

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to get the free market going again:thumb:

Jaric
09-08-2011, 08:31 AM
I just did because all this is done on purpose and not due to "true incompetence" like Herm. Jimmy Carter was a well meaning Herm. "O" and the Lefties know what works economically from a free market capitalistic perspective BUT this is not what they want and why IMO this is not a Herm situation.

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to get the free market going again:thumb:I think you give them far too much credit. Obama and the democrats might be many things, an evil genius mastermind is not one of them.

Chiefshrink
09-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Hey another parallel question could be what did Josh McDaniel and OMarxist have in common and what was the difference?

McDaniel - destroyed the donkeys
OMarxist - destroying America

McDaniel - intentionally meant good
OMarxist - intentionally grinds the axe against "We The People" and our way of economic,cultural,and spiritual way of life in America

Get my point?

Chiefshrink
09-08-2011, 08:36 AM
I think you give them far too much credit. Obama and the democrats might be many things, an evil genius mastermind is not one of them.

Not saying he is a mastermind overall just evil. I will say he is a mastermind in his own mind when it comes to how to destroy America though.:thumb:

Garcia Bronco
09-08-2011, 10:26 AM
How about this Nancy. It not the government's job to create jobs.

Jenson71
09-08-2011, 10:29 AM
The difference though is that Herm actually meant for good and had no axe to grind whereas "OMarxist" truly means harm to America as we know it and make the "White Man's Constitution" (as he sees it) irrelevant which he has done quite effectively:thumb:

I hope your political presence is only confined to this forum.

donkhater
09-08-2011, 10:29 AM

All that's missing is Obama holding up a poster board with "Welcome to prosperity" written in crayola marker.

orange
09-08-2011, 11:02 AM
How about this Nancy. It not the government's job to create jobs.

I would absolutely love the Republicans to come out and say that. Just exactly those words! That would settle everything.

vailpass
09-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I would absolutely love the Republicans to come out and say that. Just exactly those words! That would settle everything.

Do you have confidence that obama is the best choice to lead our country?

go bowe
09-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Do you have confidence that obama is the best choice to lead our country?

nope, but i want a choice that's better than "not obama"...

suzzer99
09-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Destroying Obama is what's best for the country.

And there it is. Even though he's moved so far to the center his own party is livid with him. Still, we must destroy him even if it means getting our credit downgraded, getting no legislation passed, getting a crappier version of Obamacare than if we had played ball a little, etc. etc. etc.

Well at least I know how they're getting away with it now. They're just playing to people like you who don't care how good of a job they do as long as they block everything Obama tries to do, even if it's their own damn plan.

suzzer99
09-08-2011, 01:20 PM
You don't get it. He's so far off the reservation that even the formalities and niceties are not worth observing. You can blame the republicans all you want, or you can finally admit that this guy is a plastic president who has zero leadership abilities, has never tried to work with Republicans (until he HAD to) and has an agenda that the Republicans absolutely disagree with. Shoving that abortion of a Health Care deal down our throats was scary, and the way he did it pissed a lot of people off. When you piss a lot of people off, you are going to be treated like dog shit.

Again, if I were a Republican Rep, I'd skip it too. It's just another show by the president who is all show and no go. He sucks, and they are just allowing the country to see it for themselves.

This is ridiculous. Obama has come so far to the center that his own party is about to disown him. And still the republicans refuse to cooperate with him on ANYTHING. Yeah I guess you can call that a failure of leadership, but he's playing against a stacked deck at the moment.

Are you even aware that 'abortion of a health care' bill is basically the same as the republican counter proposal to Hillarycare in 1994? Why was fine for them then but a ZOMG DEATH PANELS! abortion 14 years later?

It's a lot easier for them to get away with this stuff when they have people like you who eat up every last drop of their propaganda w/o question.

patteeu
09-08-2011, 01:20 PM
And there it is. Even though he's moved so far to the center his own party is livid with him. Still, we must destroy him even if it means getting our credit downgraded, getting no legislation passed, getting a crappier version of Obamacare than if we had played ball a little, etc. etc. etc.

Well at least I know how they're getting away with it now. They're just playing to people like you who don't care how good of a job they do as long as they block everything Obama tries to do, even if it's their own damn plan.

Count me in with ClevelandBronco. Nothing is more important than unseating Obama at this point.

suzzer99
09-08-2011, 01:23 PM
And you know that the country was basically behind them in doing so, right? Witness the biggest turnover in the House in history for mid-year elections.

There's nothing wrong with a filibuster. It prevents rule by majority and requires a flow of ideas. Democrats who criticize Republicans for being too idealistic need to take a look in the mirror, particularly those who just a few years prior called the filibuster a patriotic act.

Prevents rule by majority? How else are you supposed to rule?

suzzer99
09-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Count me in with ClevelandBronco. Nothing is more important than unseating Obama at this point.

No. Way. Shocking to the core.

But just for the hell of it - why? Try to use something other than vague talking points.

Calcountry
09-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Perino said they should show up, and that it isn't necessary to give a rebuttal, you extremist goon.Perino salivates at the thought of Bush, so?

patteeu
09-08-2011, 02:09 PM
No. Way. Shocking to the core.

But just for the hell of it - why? Try to use something other than vague talking points.

Just to name a few:

* Judicial appointments
* Belief that "fairness" means increasing capital gains tax rates even if it means a reduction in revenues
* Support for labor unions
* Unprecedented deficit spending wasted on government workers and transfer payments instead of the infrastructure he promised to address
* Obamacare: Putting universal coverage (i.e. dependency) ahead of curbing health care cost inflation which is the actual problem.
* Constantly erring on the side of too few troops for too short of a time in Iraq and Afghanistan relative to the recommendations of his most experienced commanders. Risking the mission in both places without replacing that mission with an updated strategy.
* Refusing to take responsibility for his recession, his slow/no-growth economy, and his devastating unemployment rate.
* Politicizing the justice department in a way that I find repugnant. Certainly not color-blind justice.
* Having no coherent foreign policy other than an apparent effort to degrade American influence.

The list could go on and on and on.

evenfall
09-08-2011, 02:18 PM
I think it would be hilarious to see him speaking to a 3/4 full room, it will be like some of those recent fundraising dinners of his.

But seriously, it would be a good symbol of where we are. Him spewing more empty words, an audience full of people who feel like they either have to be there out of obligation despite him, or people who are tired of his act and can't even be bothered.

I don't see why the whole country should be obligated to prostrate itself because he wants to make a campaign speech. if he has a plan he should send it to Congress for a vote. Tv networks aren't obligated to give him free airtime. Congressman aren't obligated to be props in his "I need to look presidential for once" puppet show.

Just fax out the text off the teleprompter. Save us all the trouble of this recitation of someone else's words. Don't bother seating all the 'woe is me victims' you are going to refer to in the balcony, at optimum viewing angle for the tv cameras. Don't bother telling us we should give you another ledger full of extra-wide blank checks so you can let us know that shovel ready isn't as shovel ready as you thought. Save us the BS about how bludgeoning real business is ok, because our Obama will get us a job holding a stop sign while some of his union buddies sleep in a highway department truck.

Just save us all the BS, Obama, and send a plan on paper to Congress.

RedNeckRaider
09-08-2011, 02:45 PM

It is the governments job to put in place policies that assist, not hamper job growth. Something your hero Barry cannot grasp. His mindset is to create "government jobs"~

Jaric
09-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I think it would be hilarious to see him speaking to a 3/4 full room, it will be like some of those recent fundraising dinners of his.

But seriously, it would be a good symbol of where we are. Him spewing more empty words, an audience full of people who feel like they either have to be there out of obligation despite him, or people who are tired of his act and can't even be bothered.

I don't see why the whole country should be obligated to prostrate itself because he wants to make a campaign speech. if he has a plan he should send it to Congress for a vote. Tv networks aren't obligated to give him free airtime. Congressman aren't obligated to be props in his "I need to look presidential for once" puppet show.

Just fax out the text off the teleprompter. Save us all the trouble of this recitation of someone else's words. Don't bother seating all the 'woe is me victims' you are going to refer to in the balcony, at optimum viewing angle for the tv cameras. Don't bother telling us we should give you another ledger full of extra-wide blank checks so you can let us know that shovel ready isn't as shovel ready as you thought. Save us the BS about how bludgeoning real business is ok, because our Obama will get us a job holding a stop sign while some of his union buddies sleep in a highway department truck.

Just save us all the BS, Obama, and send a plan on paper to Congress.
Pretty much all this.

And empty suit speaking to an empty room.

mlyonsd
09-08-2011, 04:43 PM
There’s a little grumbling going around on Capitol Hill today on a vote that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., scheduled for this evening after the President Obama’s address.

Very shortly after the speech, the Senate will hold a symbolic vote on the resolution of disapproval of President Obama’s request to raise the debt ceiling. As you may recall from the debt cieling debate over the summer, this was Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s idea, which figured into the final debt ceiling negotiated deal in which senators could go on the record showing their disapproval, even though the debt ceiling would still be raised as worked out in the deal brokered between the president and the congressional leadership.

The vote is a poignant one, quite the comparison coming almost immediately after Obama proposes his plan to create jobs that comes with a price tag of $400 billion or more.

McConnell took advantage of this pairing – his office noting that it is an “interesting bookend” to the day.

”After the president’s speech tonight calling for more stimulus spending, the Senate will vote on his request for an additional $500 billion increase in the debt ceiling, so senators will have an opportunity to vote for or against this type of approach right away,” McConnell said this morning on the Senate floor.

Reid’s decision to schedule the vote tonight was made in part to ensure that senators would attend the president’s speech. Wednesday (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/09/two-gop-senators-slated-to-skip-president-obamas-speech/) two Republican senators, David Vitter from Louisiana and Jim DeMint from South Carolina, said they would sit out the speech.

Vitter today sounded out on Twitter that he would now have to miss his planned football party in Louisiana to stay in Washington to cast his late-night vote.

“Typical Harry Reid. He’s now scheduled votes that should’ve been this morn 4 right b4 & right AFTER prez’s speech. Pens me in 2 have 2 stay,” Vitter tweeted this morning.

Later he added an additional tweet: “Reid ensured I’ll miss my Saints party at home. Don’t worry – only strengthens my Who Dat resolve. On 2 the Super Bowl! #ReidDirtyBirdsFan?”
DeMint has an event scheduled in South Carolina with Boeing this evening. His office has not said whether he will stay in town yet or not.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/09/sen-david-vitter-to-miss-football-game-reid-schedules-vote-after-presidents-speech-tonight/

InChiefsHell
09-08-2011, 08:59 PM
This is ridiculous. Obama has come so far to the center that his own party is about to disown him. And still the republicans refuse to cooperate with him on ANYTHING. Yeah I guess you can call that a failure of leadership, but he's playing against a stacked deck at the moment.

Are you even aware that 'abortion of a health care' bill is basically the same as the republican counter proposal to Hillarycare in 1994? Why was fine for them then but a ZOMG DEATH PANELS! abortion 14 years later?

It's a lot easier for them to get away with this stuff when they have people like you who eat up every last drop of their propaganda w/o question.

Holy shit dude. You have got to be kidding me. The Republicans did not offer a counter proposal to Hillary Care that resembled this thing at all. I was working in the insurance business at the time. I don't remember anything about forcing people to buy it, I don't remember them proposing a 3k page bill that nobody read, and I don't remember them pushing something that the majority of Americans were against. Dont' talk to me about talking points and propaganda. I lived through those times and I don't know what in the hell you are even talking about.

As far as Obama moving to the center, only an extreme leftist would think so. He's just trying to get reelected, and the republicans are calling him on it. Keep crying, you are in the minority. Whatever floats your boat.

Jenson71
09-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Holy shit dude. You have got to be kidding me. The Republicans did not offer a counter proposal to Hillary Care that resembled this thing at all. I was working in the insurance business at the time. I don't remember anything about forcing people to buy it, I don't remember them proposing a 3k page bill that nobody read, and I don't remember them pushing something that the majority of Americans were against. Dont' talk to me about talking points and propaganda. I lived through those times and I don't know what in the hell you are even talking about.

As far as Obama moving to the center, only an extreme leftist would think so. He's just trying to get reelected, and the republicans are calling him on it. Keep crying, you are in the minority. Whatever floats your boat.

Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act of 1993 had about 20 Republican Senate cosponsors, including Chuck Grassley, Bob Dole, John Warner, and Arlen Specter.

ROYC75
09-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Just to name a few:

* Judicial appointments
* Belief that "fairness" means increasing capital gains tax rates even if it means a reduction in revenues
* Support for labor unions
* Unprecedented deficit spending wasted on government workers and transfer payments instead of the infrastructure he promised to address
* Obamacare: Putting universal coverage (i.e. dependency) ahead of curbing health care cost inflation which is the actual problem.
* Constantly erring on the side of too few troops for too short of a time in Iraq and Afghanistan relative to the recommendations of his most experienced commanders. Risking the mission in both places without replacing that mission with an updated strategy.
* Refusing to take responsibility for his recession, his slow/no-growth economy, and his devastating unemployment rate.
* Politicizing the justice department in a way that I find repugnant. Certainly not color-blind justice.
* Having no coherent foreign policy other than an apparent effort to degrade American influence.

The list ( could ) does go on and on and on.

Fixed this for you.