PDA

View Full Version : Computers Dell Desktop

booger
09-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Approx 10 year old Dell Dimension desktop. Pretty sure the problem started after a storm and power outage, was on a surge strip but that must of been bad. Anyway, i turn it on and the green lights on the keyboard and front of the computer go on for about 5 seconds or so just like the fan and then it all quits.

Hard drive? Power supply? how can i test these things. Thanks for any input on this.

Fish
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Either power supply or fried mobo.

First thing I'd do is throw a spare working power supply in there and see what happens. It's an easy component to replace, and would be culprit #1 anyway. If that doesn't fix it, it's very likely that the mobo has been damaged.

booger
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Either power supply or fried mobo.

First thing I'd do is throw a spare working power supply in there and see what happens. It's an easy component to replace, and would be culprit #1 anyway. If that doesn't fix it, it's very likely that the mobo has been damaged.

Don't got a spare. In your opinion will it be a cheaper fix if i take it to a pro? I mean labor wise. I don't mind tearing into it myself. I did that to upgrade the memory. Can have the ps tested at a radio shack or something?

Fish
09-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Don't got a spare. In your opinion will it be a cheaper fix if i take it to a pro? I mean labor wise. I don't mind tearing into it myself. I did that to upgrade the memory. Can have the ps tested at a radio shack or something?

Honestly, you could test it yourself if you have a multimeter... You'd just plug in the PS and check the voltage at different pins at which you know what the voltage should be. Here's instructions: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-supply-test-multimeter.htm
But that's kinda complicated if you don't have much experience with that. I really doubt that Radioshack would help you out with that kind of thing.

Do you have a computer parts store anywhere close? Radioshack won't really cut it when dealing with internal computer parts. But if you have a Microcenter or Best Buy nearby, I'd go pick up a power supply from there, and test it out that way. If it fixes it, you're good. If it doesn't fix it, you can take the PS back to the store and get a refund.

booger
09-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Honestly, you could test it yourself if you have a multimeter... You'd just plug in the PS and check the voltage at different pins at which you know what the voltage should be. Here's instructions: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-supply-test-multimeter.htm
But that's kinda complicated if you don't have much experience with that. I really doubt that Radioshack would help you out with that kind of thing.

Do you have a computer parts store anywhere close? Radioshack won't really cut it when dealing with internal computer parts. But if you have a Microcenter or Best Buy nearby, I'd go pick up a power supply from there, and test it out that way. If it fixes it, you're good. If it doesn't fix it, you can take the PS back to the store and get a refund.

yep, got a multi meter. i'll give it a shot and read over those instructions. Otherwise i'll try one of the small business repair guys from the classifieds. I know of one who has a good reputation, just never done any business w/him.

I just wanted to get an idea on anything i could check myself and basically give myself a starting point to getting it fixed and you have helped me with that. Thanks a bunch Fish !
:thumb:

drunkie
09-07-2011, 05:56 PM
yep, got a multi meter. i'll give it a shot and read over those instructions. Otherwise i'll try one of the small business repair guys from the classifieds. I know of one who has a good reputation, just never done any business w/him.

I just wanted to get an idea on anything i could check myself and basically give myself a starting point to getting it fixed and you have helped me with that. Thanks a bunch Fish !
:thumb:

honestly it really isn't worth it. a repair guy will prolly charge you atleast 100bucks then you gotta get new parts for whatever is bad. this is a 10 yr old comp. it just not worth investing more money into. what is it a p3 or something? personally i would look at building a new pc. even if you don't have much to spend you can build a pc that will beat a 10 yr old comp very easy