PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Perry campaign busts Romney on Social Security

Taco John
09-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Perry Campaign: Remember When Romney Compared Social Security to a Criminal Enterprise?
5:08 PM, Sep 8, 2011 • By JOHN MCCORMACK

The Perry campaign blasts out a pretty clean hit on Mitt Romney:

Last night, Romney said, “Under no circumstances would I ever say, by any measure, it’s a failure. It is working for millions of Americans.”

However, in his book “No Apology: The Case For American Greatness”, which was published just last year, Romney compared those managing Social Security to criminals, saying:

“Let’s look at what would happen if someone in the private sector did a similar thing. Suppose two grandparents created a trust fund, appointed a bank as trustee, and instructed the bank to invest the proceeds of the trust fund so as to provide for their grandchildren’s education. Suppose further that the bank used the proceeds for its own purposes, so that when the grandchildren turned eighteen, there was no money for them to go to college. What would happen to the bankers responsible for misusing the money? They would go to jail. But what has happened to the people responsible for the looming bankruptcy of Social Security? They keep returning to Congress every two years.”

Even better, the Perry campaign points out that Romney said just two weeks ago that he didn't know of a single Republican who actually wants to cut Social Security or Medicare for people in or near retirement:

“I don’t know of any Republican whose running for office who said they want to cut Social Security or Medicare benefits to people who are retired or near retirement. Not one, I haven’t heard a word of it…so Republicans, like myself, are not gonna cut social security or Medicare for people who are retired or near retirement. And for the people who say we are, they are demagoguing an issue very much that harms America. Because we need to be truthful on this.”(8/24/11, Lebanon, New Hampshire)

Sure, Perry could really learn to deliver his message on entitlement reform more, but it's hard to see how Romney's hypocritical demagoguery is going to help him win the nomination.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/perry-campaign-remember-when-romney-compared-social-security-criminal-enterprise_592931.html

Saul Good
09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't see any "there" there. The system being mismanaged does not equal a system that needs to be abolished. Your time would be better spent spamming a poll somewhere.

Donger
09-08-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't see any "there" there. The system being mismanaged does not equal a system that needs to be abolished. Your time would be better spent spamming a poll somewhere.

I don't believe that Perry has called for SS to be abolished.

Saul Good
09-08-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't believe that Perry has called for SS to be abolished.

I don't either. Paulfan can't ever get his guy's popularity up, so he tries to get everyone else's down. Its everything that's wrong with politics coming from people who gloss themselves as being pure as the driven snow.

Taco John
09-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Who called for Social Security to be abolished?

Your time would be better spent actually comprehending what is happening around you.

Taco John
09-08-2011, 04:32 PM
I don't either. Paulfan can't ever get his guy's popularity up, so he tries to get everyone else's down. Its everything that's wrong with politics coming from people who gloss themselves as being pure as the driven snow.

Hey, whatever... But you're going to need Paulfan if you want to beat a sitting incumbent. Say what you want, but no Republican has control of all the gears. Our hand is on one of them, and as you saw from the debt debate, we already believe that the bus is on course to drive off a cliff - we've got nothing to lose here.

Marginalize away! It got McCain real far!

Chocolate Hog
09-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Saul's a dumbass.

BucEyedPea
09-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Sure, Perry could really learn to deliver his message on entitlement reform more, but it's hard to see how Romney's hypocritical demagoguery is going to help him win the nomination.

Some prefer to vote for liars. Then again, this is from the Weekly Standard, so I suspect because Romney is less of a hawk and Perry makes a better bully they may push Perry. Romney is still a phony though.

whoman69
09-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I can't say I agree with Romney often but he is right in this case. SS and medicare need to be kept separate from the budget.