PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues EPA declares hay a pollutant in effort to drive small, mid-sized family cattle ranche

KILLER_CLOWN
09-09-2011, 08:02 AM
EPA declares hay a pollutant in effort to drive small, mid-sized family cattle ranchers out of business

(NaturalNews) The assault against American industry and individual livelihood continues -- and no, it is not coming from Al-Qaeda or other foreign terrorists. A recent report from R-CALF USA, an advocacy group for American cattle producers, says the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declared harmless cattle hay a "pollutant," which is part of the agency's agenda to squelch family-scale cattle ranches in favor of corporately-owned, mega-sized feedlot operations.

At the recent 12th Annual R-CALF USA Convention in Rapid City, SD, an audience member asked Mike Callicrate, a Kansas cattle feeder, if the EPA had, indeed, declared hay a pollutant. His affirmative answer was startling to many, but not necessarily surprising in light of the US government's apparent agenda to destroy every single producing sector in the nation and to reduce the country to a poverty-stricken, corporately-dominated wasteland.

"Now that EPA has declared hay a pollutant, every farmer and rancher that stores hay, or that leaves a broken hay bale in the field, is potentially violating EPA rules and subject to an EPA enforcement action," responded Callicrate. "How far are we going to let this agency go before we stand up and do something about it?"

Callicrate currently operates what is considered a mid-sized cattle ranch, and was ostracized by some of the nation's largest beef packers back in 1998 for exposing their illegitimate buying practices. Callicrate ended up having to cease operations for two years, but later reopened as a direct marketer of meat to consumers.

"I believe the EPA's enforcement action is a premeditated effort by EPA to partner with the beef packers to finish the job the beef packers couldn't do alone," added Callicrate, referring to EPA's failure to enforce the same rules for large meat packers like JBS-Brazil and Cargill (the two largest beef packing operations in the country).

Between 2008 and 2010, 45 small to mid-sized family cattle operations were forced out of business, according to R-CALF USA. During the same time, the nation's largest feedlots expanded their operations, and now own and feed roughly 25 percent of the nation's cattle.

"EPA is turning a blind eye toward the mega-feedlots that are a real risk for pollution and, instead, is antagonizing small to mid-sized family operations in an effort to help their packer-partners capture the entire live cattle supply chain away from family farm and ranch operations."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033537_hay_pollutant.html#ixzz1XSZxanpp

LOCOChief
09-09-2011, 08:23 AM
This has to be bogus. I'm not saying the EPA wouldn't strong arm small ranchers but our family runs a few cows and harvest hay quite a bit of hay and I've never heard this.

LOCOChief
09-09-2011, 08:31 AM
I can't seem to find anything that substantiats this on EPA's site.

blaise
09-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I'm skeptical.

cookster50
09-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I'm skeptical.

You are thinking too much. You are just supposed to go into righteous indignation mode without any facts.

Brainiac
09-09-2011, 09:31 AM
His affirmative answer was startling to many, but not necessarily surprising in light of the US government's apparent agenda to destroy every single producing sector in the nation and to reduce the country to a poverty-stricken, corporately-dominated wasteland.

That sounds just a little bit over the top.

Fish
09-09-2011, 09:39 AM
At the recent 12th Annual R-CALF USA Convention in Rapid City, SD, an audience member asked Mike Callicrate, a Kansas cattle feeder, if the EPA had, indeed, declared hay a pollutant.

So their source for this is one butthurt cattle feeder and not the EPA itself?

FishingRod
09-09-2011, 11:06 AM
This same story does seem to be all over. Doesn't make it true. need a little more digging

blaise
09-09-2011, 11:10 AM
This same story does seem to be all over. Doesn't make it true. need a little more digging

It seems like the EPA fined or cited several fee plants and farms and other people are interpreting it to mean hay was the reason for the citation. A lot of the stuff I read listed discharge into water, but it doesn't specify exactly what was discharged.
I think you'd have to see a more detailed report of exactly what the violation was. Maybe it was because of hay. Maybe it's hay that was contained within the same area as manure or something. I don't know, it's hard to tell.

ChiefsCountry
09-09-2011, 11:13 AM
While I doubt its true, its not an Obama voting industry so it would make sense to hurt them.

orange
09-09-2011, 11:34 AM
In a news release last week, the Environmental Protection Agency labeled hay a pollutant, according to the Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America (R-CALF USA). A non-profit organization representing thousands of U.S. cattle producers, R-CALF USA says the EPA’s outlandish affidavit could potentially require farmers and ranchers to store hay in pollution containment zones.

The issue culminated from an EPA compliance order charging Callicrate Feeding Company with a list of environmental violations. The EPA’s Region 7 office detailed the violations in a news release:

An inspection in February 2011 identified significant NPDES permit violations, including failure to maintain adequate wastewater storage capacity, failure to meet Nutrient Management Plan requirements, failure to conduct operations within areas that are controlled in a manner capable of preventing pollution, and failure to maintain adequate records. The order requires the operation to comply with all terms of the Clean Water Act and its NPDES permit, and to coordinate with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment on its compliance. The order requires the operation to comply with the terms of its Nutrient Management Plan, including sampling and recordkeeping requirements. The feedlot has a permitted capacity of 12,000 cattle and was confining approximately 3,219 cattle at the time of the inspection.

After investigating the EPA-Callicate fiasco, Drovers/CattleNetwork, a news source for the beef industry, inferred that R-CALF USA’s release was somewhat "exaggerated." Reporters from the network contacted Dan Breedlove, assistant regional counsel for the EPA’s Region 7 office, who detailed the violations in the compliance order.

Breedlove noted that under the Clean Water Act, Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations can be subjected to four counts of violations: failure to maintain adequate records, failure to maintain adequate storage capacity, failure to maintain nutrient management plan requirements, and failure to operate production within controlled areas to prevent pollution.

Drovers/CattleNetwork reported:

Asked specifically what types of feed were stored in the feed stock area at the Callicrate facility at the time of the inspection, Breedlove says the area contained "distillers’ grains, silage and other feeds that could leach pollutants. It was not just hay." Feed stock storage areas are part of a feedlot’s production area subject to runoff-control regulations, he says, adding however that EPA focuses on feeds such as distillers’ grains with greater potential to leach nutrients, rather than hay.

Though R-CALF USA’s spirited allegation that the EPA labeled hay a pollutant may be somewhat of a stretch, Drovers/CattleNetwork concedes that cattle feeders are undoubtedly constrained by many burdensome EPA regulations. Feeding permits are expensive and meticulous record-keeping and reporting are time-consuming for owners and managers. And with new environmental regulations streaming through the government pipeline, they ought to brace themselves for more.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/8909-cattle-feeder-says-epa-declared-hay-a-pollutant

LOCOChief
09-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Asked specifically what types of feed were stored in the feed stock area at the Callicrate facility at the time of the inspection, Breedlove says the area contained "distillers’ grains, silage and other feeds that could leach pollutants. It was not just hay." Feed stock storage areas are part of a feedlot’s production area subject to runoff-control regulations, he says, adding however that EPA focuses on feeds such as distillers’ grains with greater potential to leach nutrients, rather than hay.

Though R-CALF USA’s spirited allegation that the EPA labeled hay a pollutant may be somewhat of a stretch, Drovers/CattleNetwork concedes that cattle feeders are undoubtedly constrained by many burdensome EPA regulations. Feeding permits are expensive and meticulous record-keeping and reporting are time-consuming for owners and managers. And with new environmental regulations streaming through the government pipeline, they ought to brace themselves for more.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/8909-cattle-feeder-says-epa-declared-hay-a-pollutant

It would appear that there is some truth to the article - thanks Orange.

ROYC75
09-09-2011, 05:00 PM
In other news the EPA is about to restrict humans from pissing and shitting around the country, the pollutants and toxic gasses are a nuisance to other Americans, 2nd & 3rd world countries.

It was mentioned that the first targeted people was the President Obama, his administration,all Liberals & Democrats for feeding so much crap to the country and the rest of the world.

Stay tuned for further developing details.

listopencil
09-10-2011, 12:22 AM
I hate Big Hay.

T-post Tom
09-10-2011, 02:28 PM
It would appear that there is little, if any truth to the article - thanks Orange.

fyp (Callicrate is an activist with an agenda that didn't like the EPA's review that found him violation of known standards. Amazing how this kind of hyperbole gets traction and is misused for multiple and often unrelated political agendas.)

T-post Tom
09-10-2011, 02:37 PM
In other news the EPA is about to restrict humans from pissing and shitting around the country, the pollutants and toxic gasses are a nuisance to other Americans, 2nd & 3rd world countries.

It was mentioned that the first targeted people was the President Obama, his administration,all Liberals & Democrats for feeding so much crap to the country and the rest of the world.

Stay tuned for further developing details.

For when a facepalm just doesn't cover it:

http://goofygifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/funny-gifs-youve-heard-of-facepalm.gif#funniest%20facepalm%20gif

chasedude
09-10-2011, 02:56 PM
This is the stupidest thing I've heard today, thanks for the laugh.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-10-2011, 03:37 PM
This is the stupidest thing I've heard today, thanks for the laugh.

Are you always a day late and a dollar short?

Ace Gunner
09-10-2011, 04:07 PM
fines for all of you

chasedude
09-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Are you always a day late and a dollar short?

I'm not on this site 24/7. If I saw this yesterday then it would have been the stupidest thing I saw then, and yet still a great laugh.

HonestChieffan
09-10-2011, 05:20 PM
rCALF has a history of being sort of the loon fringe

Dave Lane
09-10-2011, 06:32 PM
That sounds just a little bit over the top.

Not really. You new here or sumthin'?

alnorth
09-10-2011, 11:28 PM
You are thinking too much. You are just supposed to go into righteous indignation mode without any facts.

No kidding. This is, after all, a thread started by someone who believes vaccines probably cause autism and that (I think, if I remember right) military experiments by our government may have triggered the Japanese earthquake and tsunami. I wouldn't be surprised if he were a truther, too. Maybe he isn't, I didn't bother to check.

Any story posted by Killer Clown that is even slightly nutty should probably just be presumed to be amusing conspiracy nonsense until proven to be plausible.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-10-2011, 11:47 PM
No kidding. This is, after all, a thread started by someone who believes vaccines probably cause autism and that (I think, if I remember right) military experiments by our government may have triggered the Japanese earthquake and tsunami. I wouldn't be surprised if he were a truther, too. Maybe he isn't, I didn't bother to check.

Any story posted by Killer Clown that is even slightly nutty should probably just be presumed to be amusing conspiracy nonsense until proven to be plausible.

LMAO

True fact: A common ingredient in commercial breads is derived from human hair harvested in China

(NaturalNews) If you read the ingredients label on a loaf of bread, you will usually find an ingredient listed there as L-cysteine. This is a non-essential amino acid added to many baked goods as a dough conditioner in order to speed industrial processing. It's usually not added directly to flour intended for home use, but you'll find it throughout commercial breads such as pizza dough, bread rolls and pastries.

While some L-cysteine is directly synthesized in laboratories, most of it is extracted from a cheap and abundant natural protein source: human hair. The hair is dissolved in acid and L-cysteine is isolated through a chemical process, then packaged and shipped off to commercial bread producers. Besides human hair, other sources of L-cysteine include chicken feathers, duck feathers, cow horns and petroleum byproducts.

Most of the hair used to make L-cysteine is gathered from the floors of barbershops and hair salons in China, by the way.

While the thought of eating dissolved hair might make some people uneasy, most Western consumers ultimately have no principled objections doing so. For Jews and Muslims, however, hair-derived L-cysteine poses significant problems. Muslims are forbidden from eating anything derived from a human body, and many rabbis forbid hair consumption for similar reasons. Even rabbis who permit the consumption of hair would forbid it if it came from corpses -- and since much L-cysteine comes from China, where sourcing and manufacturing practices are notoriously questionable, this is a real concern. In one case, a rabbi forbade the consumption of L-cysteine because the hair had been harvested during a ritual at a temple in India.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/032718_L-cysteine_commercial_bread.html#ixzz1XcHYqliE

RubberSponge
09-11-2011, 02:26 AM
LMAO

True fact: A common ingredient in commercial breads is derived from human hair harvested in China

(NaturalNews) If you read the ingredients label on a loaf of bread, you will usually find an ingredient listed there as L-cysteine. This is a non-essential amino acid added to many baked goods as a dough conditioner in order to speed industrial processing. It's usually not added directly to flour intended for home use, but you'll find it throughout commercial breads such as pizza dough, bread rolls and pastries.

While some L-cysteine is directly synthesized in laboratories, most of it is extracted from a cheap and abundant natural protein source: human hair. The hair is dissolved in acid and L-cysteine is isolated through a chemical process, then packaged and shipped off to commercial bread producers. Besides human hair, other sources of L-cysteine include chicken feathers, duck feathers, cow horns and petroleum byproducts.

Most of the hair used to make L-cysteine is gathered from the floors of barbershops and hair salons in China, by the way.

While the thought of eating dissolved hair might make some people uneasy, most Western consumers ultimately have no principled objections doing so. For Jews and Muslims, however, hair-derived L-cysteine poses significant problems. Muslims are forbidden from eating anything derived from a human body, and many rabbis forbid hair consumption for similar reasons. Even rabbis who permit the consumption of hair would forbid it if it came from corpses -- and since much L-cysteine comes from China, where sourcing and manufacturing practices are notoriously questionable, this is a real concern. In one case, a rabbi forbade the consumption of L-cysteine because the hair had been harvested during a ritual at a temple in India.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/032718_L-cysteine_commercial_bread.html#ixzz1XcHYqliE

Fruits and vegetables love to eat shit(guano). Doesn't mean that when you eat a tomato that you are eating actual shit. They also love blood and bone. Doesn't mean you eating those either.

I know it's a scary world out there, but at some point you just have to come to grips with living life.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Fruits and vegetables love to eat shit(guano). Doesn't mean that when you eat a tomato that you are eating actual shit. They also love blood and bone. Doesn't mean you eating those either.

I know it's a scary world out there, but at some point you just have to come to grips with living life.

Really? so it's safe to come out of the house now and then, thanks dude! :usa:

Taco John
09-11-2011, 11:37 AM
fyp (Callicrate is an activist with an agenda that didn't like the EPA's review that found him violation of known standards. Amazing how this kind of hyperbole gets traction and is misused for multiple and often unrelated political agendas.)

lol

ChiefaRoo
09-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Obama = cancer

RubberSponge
09-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Really? so it's safe to come out of the house now and then, thanks dude! :usa:

Yep, just make sure you don't eat the Wonder bread.

more for me

KILLER_CLOWN
09-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Yep, just make sure you don't eat the Wonder bread. more for me

I don't eat that crap, so you can have all of it.

RubberSponge
09-12-2011, 01:54 AM
I don't eat that crap, so you can have all of it.

We can't all be hoity-toity and eat only Nature's Pride.

Us bottom feeders have to settle for something.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-12-2011, 07:45 AM
We can't all be hoity-toity and eat only Nature's Pride.

Us bottom feeders have to settle for something.

Lolzorz.