PDA

View Full Version : Elections New Associated Press Poll

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 10:52 AM
In yet another sign that perhaps the news media ought to think about treating his presidential campaign more seriously, Ron Paul was viewed about as favorably as Rick Perry and Mitt Romney by Americans in a new poll.

In an Associated Press-GfK telephone survey of the general population, 37 percent of the respondents said they have a positive view of the libertarian-leaning representative from Texas, while 36 percent said they did not.

Perry, the Texas governor, and Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, invoked similar favorable/unfavorable ratings that also fell within the poll's 4.1 percent margin of error. Romney was viewed favorably by 39 percent of Americans, and Perry was viewed favorably by 33 percent.

Another 41 percent said they viewed Romney unfavorably, and 36 percent viewed Perry unfavorably.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich had the widest gap among the poll's respondents, with 57 percent viewing him unfavorably and 27 percent viewing him favorably.

A Gallup survey earlier this week showed that Paul polls within the same margin of error as Perry and Romney in a general election match-up with President Barack Obama.

The poll was conducted from August 18 to August 22 and released Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/poll-ron-paul-rates-front-runners-romney-perry-200845109.html

Donger
09-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Irrelevant.

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Nope. Relevant.

Irrelevant to you. BTW did you get to rest to free associate on that Union Jack couch yet?

Donger
09-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Nope. Relevant.

Irrelevant to you. BTW did you get to rest to free associate on that Union Jack couch yet?

No, it really isn't. Where's he polling compared to the other GOP candidates? You know, the poll data that is actually relevant? Still in single digits?

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 11:29 AM
No, it really isn't. Where's he polling compared to the other GOP candidates? You know, the poll data that is actually relevant? Still in single digits?

I see you didn't read the OP. It's 37% favorable which is comparable to Pro-Gore & Hillary Perry and Mr. Romneycare.
The sheeple just need to be more educated which will take another medium.

Oh, and you didn't answer my question about the couch.

Brock
09-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Frankly, I'm surprised that Paul doesn't have a much higher favorable number. He's a genuinely nice man who actually does what he says he's going to do in most cases.

These numbers don't seem like a good thing to me, it appears that people think he's just like all the rest.

Donger
09-09-2011, 11:33 AM
I see you didn't read the OP. It's 37% favorable which is comparable to Pro-Gore & Hillary Perry and Mr. Romneycare.
The sheeple just need to be more educated which will take another medium.

Oh, and you didn't answer my question about the couch.

No, I did read it. And, like I said, it is irrelevant. He's still polling against the competition at single digits, right? Many people have a favorable impression of their goofy, kooky uncle (for example) but that doesn't mean that they want him to be POTUS.

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Frankly, I'm surprised that Paul doesn't have a much higher favorable number. He's a genuinely nice man who actually does what he says he's going to do in most cases.

These numbers don't seem like a good thing to me, it appears that people think he's just like all the rest.

I don't think the debate medium or mainstream media help Paul's message. I think he needs to buy 15 minutes of time on national tv to get his message across better. Or some infomercials which sell because they educate buyers which takes more time. Soundbites won't do for his ideas and media framing his ideas won't do either. He's gonna have to find a way to bypass the handmaidens of the state—most of the media's moderators and pundits. I understand his points on the wars are being received VERY well as a regional message but he now has to bring it more directly to a national audience. I think this would help him and stymie his opposition. Now if the networks refuse to sell him a slot—then we'll know it's Establishment dirty-work ( the ones who want more war).

vailpass
09-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Nice old man. Would make a good Presidential adviser.
Unelectable as Potus.

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Unelectable as Potus.

Which is the Establishment line. The Establishment that gets to control the message for the anointed.

vailpass
09-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Which is the Establishment line. The Establishment that gets to control the message for the anointed.

I'm afraid I have no idea what this means.

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm afraid I have no idea what this means.

Do you know what the term "Establishment " with a capital "E" stands for?
Line as in: a soundbite, message, communication, or talking point.

vailpass
09-09-2011, 12:04 PM

I'm afraid you'll have to go sell crazy somewhere else. I'm already full up here.

Saul Good
09-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I have a favorable opinion of Jamaal Charles. I'm not voting for him to be POTUS, though. (If he runs against Obama, I'd consider it.)

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm afraid you'll have to go sell crazy somewhere else. I'm already full up here.
That's all you got? Has Donger stolen your identity or something?
You know what they say, those calling other crazy are the ones who are crazy. Projection dear.

Saul Good
09-09-2011, 12:06 PM

I hate to break it to you, but the DC forum isn't "the Establishment".

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 12:07 PM
I have a favorable opinion of Jamaal Charles. I'm not voting for him to be POTUS, though. (If he runs against Obama, I'd consider it.)

In the context of this article, this would also apply to Perry and Mitt too.
Paul is a mid-tier candidate at least. McCain was all but dead—yet won.
I am not saying he will win the R nomination because it's tougher there but I think he has better odds this time.
However, you ARE shooting the messenger because I merely posted the results of a new poll. You added your own commentary to it.

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 12:07 PM
I hate to break it to you, but the DC forum isn't "the Establishment".

I hate to break it to you, but I didn't say that and I didn't think it was. It wasn't what I was referring to. I hear it on TV too.
However, that line is the Establishment's and originated there.

Donger
09-09-2011, 12:09 PM
"The Establishment" = non-kooks, obviously.

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Warmongers, the true crazies, and we know where and how history eventually categorizes such types.
You Brits thought Ghandi was a kook too. Christ was considered a kook. Dr. Semmelweis. The American Revolutionaries.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”~ Ghandi

You're game is old and transparent Donger.

Donger
09-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Warmongers, the true crazies, and we know where and how history eventually categorizes such types.
You Brits thought Ghandi was a kook too. Christ was considered a kook. Dr. Semmelweis. The American Revolutionaries.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”~ Ghandi

Please tell me that you aren't even remotely trying to compare Paul to Gandhi or Jesus.

Chocolate Hog
09-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Yea this isn't the establishment. It's just a place where you can support the government taking over everyones house and raising taxes yet call yourself a conservative.

Saul Good
09-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Yea this isn't the establishment. It's just a place where you can support the government taking over everyones house and raising taxes yet call yourself a conservative.

You "can" do that. Nobody does, though.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-09-2011, 03:32 PM

If non-kooks = those that have destroyed the United States from the inside then yes.

go bowe
09-09-2011, 03:57 PM
If non-kooks = those that have destroyed the United States from the inside then yes.

all right then!

color me "non-kook"...

KILLER_CLOWN
09-09-2011, 03:58 PM
all right then!

color me "non-kook"...

Well at least we have a target group to blame for the United States becoming a 3rd world country. Congrats!

Amnorix
09-09-2011, 03:58 PM
That's all you got? Has Donger stolen your identity or something?
You know what they say, those calling other crazy are the ones who are crazy. Projection dear.

Projection, strawman, projection, strawman, projection, strawman.

go bowe
09-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Well at least we have a target group to blame for the United States becoming a 3rd world country. Congrats!

thanks, i try to please... :) :) :)

Amnorix
09-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Sometimes a kook is a visionary ahead of his time.

And sometimes a kook is just a fucking kook.

orange
09-09-2011, 07:22 PM

http://maplewood.southorangevillage.com/uploads/FileUpload/a9/3ec38181d5e57f0dbcc5625d5063f0.gif

Chocolate Hog
09-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Mark McKinnon, a former adviser to President George W. Bush and Sen. John McCain in their presidential campaigns, said the debate contained "great theater, good fireworks. Rick Perry is the front-runner and he did nothing last night to knock himself off that status. Mitt Romney was solid as he has been in the recent debates."

McKinnon also complained that Texas Rep. Ron Paul "gets ignored by the media" but has a great deal of popularity.

"If the economy doesn't get better than it is right now, Ron Paul can be the nominee and win this nomination," McKinnon said.

Damn those Ron Paul kooks!

Taco John
09-10-2011, 12:54 AM
I actually agree with Donger on this. I don't find this particular poll relevant - it's almost two weeks old. The next round of polls are going to be telling about what impact the Paul campaign can make in the Republican primary.

Saul Good
09-10-2011, 12:57 AM
I actually agree with Donger on this. I don't find this particular poll relevant - it's almost two weeks old.

Almost 2 weeks old. I mean 3 weeks is almost 2 weeks.

memyselfI
09-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Ron Paul is my pick as of now.

BucEyedPea
09-11-2011, 09:18 AM
I actually agree with Donger on this. I don't find this particular poll relevant - it's almost two weeks old. The next round of polls are going to be telling about what impact the Paul campaign can make in the Republican primary.
I didn't put this poll up for predicting voting results as much as I put it up to show that these numbers aren't exactly "kook" territory anymore, which a number of folks here continue to allege about Paul. There's something about his message that's getting through which is continuing to gain acceptability over time. So the two or three week old claim I don't think is what is actually relevant.

Only way it would be relevant is if some of media pundits continue to paint him as a "nut" in order to shape public opinion, to see how effective their message is about him. Like when Paul gets questions only on his other views that are not the main issues for people right now and these numbers drop. So far, that hasn't happened.

The poll was released September 9th too. That's when I put it up. It was conducted earlier.