PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Baha Mousa: Kicked and punched to death by cowards

KILLER_CLOWN
09-09-2011, 12:13 PM
After an eight-year campaign for justice led by this paper, a public inquiry into the killing of Iraqi civilian Baha Mousa while in British Army custody delivers its damning verdict

By Nina Lakhani

"Serious and gratuitous" violence by British soldiers caused the death of an Iraqi hotel worker and injuries to nine other innocent civilians, a landmark public inquiry ruled yesterday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00645/mousaG_645042a.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/dynamic/00644/Pg-01-splashpic-pa_644930t.jpg

Baha Mousa, 26, a widower and father of two young children, died after enduring 93 separate injuries as a result of being kicked, punched and restrained by soldiers in Basra in September 2003.

He was one of 10 innocent men rounded up as suspected insurgents after weapons were found in the hotel at which seven of them worked. In addition to the assaults and humiliation, which began almost immediately upon arrest, soldiers from the 1st Battalion Queen's Lancashire Regiment subjected the men to painful and inhumane interrogation techniques that had been banned for more than 30 years.

The three-year public inquiry concluded that suspected insurgents were subjected routinely by the 1QLR to "unjustified and wholly unacceptable" hooding, stress positions, sleep deprivation, extreme noise and withholding of food and water which contributed to Mr Mousa's death. The Ministry of Defence was found culpable of corporate and systemic failings because information about the banned techniques had been "lost", which meant it was left out from all Army guidelines and training. The MoD was also criticised for making inaccurate and misleading statements about the use of hooding and other interrogation techniques.

Sir William Gage, the inquiry chairman, said Mr Mousa had been subjected to "violent and cowardly abuse" and singled out four soldiers as those who "bear a heavy responsibility" for the "shameful events" that took place between 14 and 16 September 2003. They include Corporal Donald Payne, who orchestrated the assaults and is the only soldier to have been punished for his actions after admitting to inhumane treatment of Mr Mousa in the 2006 court martial.

The inquiry also lambasts Colonel Jorge Mendonca, the commanding officer, who "ought to have known what was going on in that building long before Baha Mousa died". He and six others were acquitted by the same court martial of all charges.

The findings will add to pressure on the Government to order a much wider independent inquiry into allegations of torture and abuse. The Government is currently facing several legal challenges on behalf of hundreds of alleged Iraqi victims which could force it to hold public inquiries into the actions of British armed forces between 2003 and 2009.

Lawyers representing the nine surviving victims and Mr Mousa's father yesterday said the 2006 court martial represented a "profound injustice", and called for civil and military prosecutors to study the report, which runs to 1,400 pages, and ensure justice is now done.

A total of 19 soldiers are named as responsible for assaults and other acts of violence against the men. Three out of the 19 individuals were senior non-commissioned officers. The soldiers were guaranteed immunity from their own evidence but could be charged using the evidence of others.

General Sir Peter Wall, head of the British Army, said yesterday that the death of Mr Mousa "cast a dark shadow" over the Army's reputation. Sir Peter has been asked by the Defence Secretary Liam Fox to consider what action could be taken against those still serving. Mr Fox, who accepted 72 of the report's 73 recommendations, described the events leading to Mr Mousa's death as "deplorable, shocking and shameful". He referred to the harrowing examples of abuse suffered by the innocent victims. Kifah Matair was kicked repeatedly to his kidney area, abdomen, ribs and genitals whenever his arms dropped from the stress position, and had his eyes gouged. The youngest, unnamed victim, 18 at the time, was forced to squat with his face directly over a toilet.

Sir William goes on to criticise the "lack of moral courage" shown by a far larger number of people who turned a blind eye to the visible abuses and injuries inflicted on the 10 men.

In a statement to Parliament, Mr Fox said: "It is clear there were serious failings in command and discipline in the First Battalion, The Queen's Lancashire Regiment ... There was a lack of clarity in the allocation of responsibility for prisoner handling process and sadly too there was a lack of moral courage to report abuse." But he rejected advice to ban "harshing" which involves screaming at detainees during interrogation.

Next month the Court of Appeal will rule on a case involving 142 Iraqis, which is led by Ali Zaki Mousa, who was detained by British forces.

The key recommendations

* MoD should retain absolute prohibition on using hoods on captured personnel.

* Guidelines should make clear that prisoners must not be kept awake.

* When there is a death in custody, particularly if sudden or unexplained, other captives must be checked promptly.

* Where practicable, captured personnel subjected to sight deprivation or hearing deprivation should be told why.

* Guidelines should incorporate the requirement that on entry to and exit from a theatre-level detention facility, captives are asked whether or not they have any complaints about treatment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/baha-mousa-kicked-and-punched-to-death-by-cowards-2351633.html

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 01:21 PM
"Serious and gratuitous" violence by British soldiers caused the death of an Iraqi hotel worker and injuries to nine other innocent civilians, a landmark public inquiry ruled yesterday.

Crazy Brits! Where's Donger?

vailpass
09-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Boy got his ass beat but good.
What'd he do?

ForeverChiefs58
09-09-2011, 03:55 PM
One less militant off the street.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-09-2011, 03:55 PM
What'd he do?

He worked at a hotel, and someone found weapons in the hotel.

go bowe
09-09-2011, 04:03 PM
sorta like driving while black...

vailpass
09-09-2011, 04:06 PM
sorta like driving while black...

Getting pulled over for driving while black does not mean the driver is not guilty of a crime though, no?

vailpass
09-09-2011, 04:10 PM
He worked at a hotel, and someone found weapons in the hotel.

Bet he won't do that again.

Earthling
09-09-2011, 04:18 PM

So all Iraqis are militants? It was concluded that this man was innocent, or should that not matter?

go bowe
09-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Getting pulled over for driving while black does not mean the driver is not guilty of a crime though, no?

getting pulled over for driving while white does not mean the driver is not guilty of a crime either...

RedNeckRaider
09-09-2011, 04:45 PM
getting pulled over for driving while white does not mean the driver is not guilty of a crime either...

Oh shit! time for a new strategy~

ForeverChiefs58
09-09-2011, 04:46 PM
hmmm. He worked at a hotel that was used for holding weapons. He was determined to either be a militant, militant sympathizer, or really inept at his job. I doubt they beat him like that for nothing, regardless of what the article says. I'm sure he was up to no good. Bet he won't do that again.

vailpass
09-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Absolutely not.
but the odds are much better

Earthling
09-09-2011, 05:17 PM
hmmm. He worked at a hotel that was used for holding weapons. He was determined to either be a militant, militant sympathizer, or really inept at his job. I doubt they beat him like that for nothing, regardless of what the article says. I'm sure he was up to no good. Bet he won't do that again.

Maybe your gut feeling is nothing more than gas.

ForeverChiefs58
09-09-2011, 05:20 PM

Nah, that's just what I feel about the whole thing.

Earthling
09-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Nah, that's just what I feel about the whole thing.

Fair enough.

BucEyedPea
09-09-2011, 06:49 PM

How To Kill Goyim And Influence People: Leading Israeli Rabbis Defend Manual for For Killing Non-Jews (http://maxblumenthal.com/2010/08/how-to-kill-goyim-and-influence-people-leading-israeli-rabbis-defend-manual-for-for-killing-non-jews/)

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7t_LxpCY2G8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

go bowe
09-09-2011, 10:13 PM

from the article:He was one of 10 innocent men

Frankie
09-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Crazy Brits! Where's Donger?

Donger is not a Brit. He's the most red-blooded American posting here. He tells us so often enough.

Frankie
09-09-2011, 11:02 PM
What'd he do?

Bet he won't do that again.

Yeah let's all celebrate.

:shake:

Frankie
09-09-2011, 11:05 PM

What gut feeling? Don't you know MC58 "studies the middle east?" He told us so a few times too.

BucEyedPea
09-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Donger is not a Brit. He's the most red-blooded American posting here. He tells us so often enough.

You can take the Brit out of Britain but you can't take Britain out of the Brit born there.
The imperialist streak inherited from Britain is alive and well in TruBrit.
Anyhow, this is what I mean when I call him that.

ForeverChiefs58
09-10-2011, 12:25 PM
from the article:

I don't believe the article.

ForeverChiefs58
09-10-2011, 12:35 PM
What gut feeling? Don't you know MC58 "studies the middle east?" He told us so a few times too.

Very easy to see I know way more about the middle east than your dumbass. You didn't even know who Arafat's family was, where he came from, or how he came to power. ROFL

Up until you mentioned him I had no idea who this guy was. Nor did I care to know.

You are 159 times dumber than a pile of camel shit. You are breaking apart in mid air.

ForeverChiefs58
09-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah let's all celebrate.

:shake:

I do celebrate it very much. Much as I would if this happened to you. Yeah. I think I will jump over a candle to celebrate. :clap: :clap:

ForeverChiefs58
09-10-2011, 12:42 PM
How To Kill Goyim And Influence People: Leading Israeli Rabbis Defend Manual for For Killing Non-Jews (http://maxblumenthal.com/2010/08/how-to-kill-goyim-and-influence-people-leading-israeli-rabbis-defend-manual-for-for-killing-non-jews/)

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7t_LxpCY2G8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, you think it is normal to not believe like the rest of the world about what Amanutjob says about wiping Israel off the map, yet you believe any crazy ass video you find about jews? Seriously, do you have posters of Hitler?
I bet you have the book Mein Kampf too.

go bowe
09-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't believe the article.

the article summarizes the official findings of the british army investigation...

there was never any evidence that he was involved in anything other than being at his job trying to provide for his family...

wrong place wrong time kinda thing, but british army heads rolled because of it...

not just because he died but because there never was any reason to hold him in the first place...

i forget the name of the report, but it was in the news recently...

of course, you don't have to believe the british army either... :p

go bowe
09-10-2011, 07:00 PM
So, you think it is normal to not believe like the rest of the world about what Amanutjob says about wiping Israel off the map, yet you believe any crazy ass video you find about jews? Seriously, do you have posters of Hitler?
I bet you have the book Mein Kampf too.

ahmanutjob is a nut job, and he probably does mean what he says about wiping israel off the map...

but all he can do is talk about it...

they've tried through their lebanese and palestinian proxies, but israel is too strong for them to ever defeat...

they won't openly invade because they've seen what happens to large conventional armies when they are stupid enough to engage our military...

and they won't nuke em because between israel's counter-strike and our nukes, there wouldn't be any iran left to take over the middle east...

so it's all really just bluff and bluster...

think baghdad bob...

RedNeckRaider
09-11-2011, 06:49 AM
think baghdad bob...

Do not ask me why as I have no idea, but I do wonder what happened to that guy~

KILLER_CLOWN
09-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Do not ask me why as I have no idea, but I do wonder what happened to that guy~

He now advises the American information minister.