PDA

View Full Version : Life Any coffee connoisseurs on CP?

pr_capone
09-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Considering picking up this French Press.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Chambord-Shatterproof-Coffemaker-17-Ounce/dp/B001LQMS7A/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1315631943&sr=1-2

I'm sick of the shitty coffee at work. If I'm gonna mainline caffeine... it may as well be tasty too.

Any recommendations on presses or coffee?

listopencil
09-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Starbuck's has a nice collection of French presses. All the way from full pots down to single serving cup size. I would invest in a variable grinder to get the larger grounds as they work better in a press.

listopencil
09-10-2011, 12:38 AM
By the way, in my fridge I have a combo Butterscotch Praline/Vanilla Nut blend that is incredible. I add a few drops of caramel syrup to it.

Earthling
09-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Not a connoisseur but definitely a coffee hound. Personally I find the coffee presses more trouble than they are worth. Lots of people love and swear by them though.

Bump
09-10-2011, 01:06 AM
I can definitely appreciate a great cop of joe and I would certainly prefer the fine line stuff over the cheaper stuff. But the best bang for your buck is Costco's Kirkland brand coffee, it's starbucks beans and less than half the price and I like it!

pr_capone
09-10-2011, 01:07 AM
Not a connoisseur but definitely a coffee hound. Personally I find the coffee presses more trouble than they are worth. Lots of people love and swear by them though.

The trouble is that I want this for work. I never drink coffee at home. I love the taste of coffee though and grew up drinking freshly picked/roasted when I still lived in PR.

It isn't feasible for me to have my own coffee pot at my desk and hot water is readily available from the coffee maker. A press seems like the ideal tool... what troubles have you had? Anything I should avoid?

Gadzooks
09-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Double double. Do I qualify?!?

QuikSsurfer
09-10-2011, 01:28 AM
I only used a press when clients were over in the shop. I use a drip carafe for most other occasions. Personal preference.
I roasted coffee beans for Seattle Drip a few years back. It was a really cool learning experience with all foreign beans and mixtures. It's a shit ton more work than just tossing beans in a oven and starting a timer.
Favorite coffee? Pure Kona.
Guilty pleasure? Dunkin Donuts Original...

pr_capone
09-10-2011, 01:41 AM
I only used a press when clients were over in the shop. I use a drip carafe for most other occasions. Personal preference.
I roasted coffee beans for Seattle Drip a few years back. It was a really cool learning experience with all foreign beans and mixtures. It's a shit ton more work than just tossing beans in a oven and starting a timer.
Favorite coffee? Pure Kona.
Guilty pleasure? Dunkin Donuts Original...

I thought long and hard about a drip carafe but the thing that people rave about the press is how the oils from the bean are preserved while in a perc or drip, the paper filter retains those oils.

If you take the same bag of Kona and make a cup in the carafe and one in the press, can you taste the difference?

cdcox
09-10-2011, 01:52 AM
I use a press at home. I love it. Taste is great. I use a coarse grind. The only drawback is that you get a few grounds in your cup. My press is insulated so I can make a pot and drink it over a couple of hours.

The water you put in your press needs to be near boiling.

cdcox
09-10-2011, 01:55 AM
Looking at the model you've selected, I would switch to an insulated one. By the time your drain 4 cups, it is going to be luke warm at best.

pr_capone
09-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Looking at the model you've selected, I would switch to an insulated one. By the time your drain 4 cups, it is going to be luke warm at best.

I thought about that as well.

I think I'm going with this one instead.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005LM0R

12 oz. I can take down 12 oz in a sitting. I'll be picking up an insulated cup to pour it into.

cdcox
09-10-2011, 02:06 AM

12 oz. I can take down 12 oz in a sitting. I'll be picking up an insulated cup to pour it into.

The only drawback with the 12 oz is I would have to make multiple batches per day. With an insulated 4 cupper, I can get by with 1 or 2 batches a day.

pr_capone
09-10-2011, 02:15 AM
The only drawback with the 12 oz is I would have to make multiple batches per day. With an insulated 4 cupper, I can get by with 1 or 2 batches a day.

I don't think that would bother me. I will probably brew three times a day. I work in a call center which means I would really only have to get up to pour water into the press. From there, everything can just be done at my desk while taking calls.

I believe I have talked myself into this.

RubberSponge
09-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Try The Spice Merchant on Douglas. They roast top grade beans and will help you better than anyone in the area, or on CP with all your coffee questions. I'm a heavy tea drinker and haven't found better blends than anywhere else. The coffee is of the same top quality.

Might be a tad more in price but without a doubt every bit worth it. Plus they are a local company that deserves the support from the community.

http://www.spicemerchant.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1315640178.18358

Rukdafaidas
09-10-2011, 05:42 AM
I use a French Press daily. The only thing I don't like about it is disposing of the grounds.....it's not easy. You can't just turn the thing over and dump them out, they stick to the bottom and sides of the press.

KC Jones
09-10-2011, 06:37 AM
Pretty much all presses are equal - I have one for work that's insulated so I can brew 2-3 cups and keep it hot for an hour or two.

You'll find you want a slightly courser grind so that you're not getting grounds in your coffee. To control that you'll likely want a burr grinder. Those can get pricey, so see what you think of the regular grind first.

I second the clean up bit. Keeping a small rubber spatula at hand is ideal.

My favorite cheap coffee is safeway select kona blend. It's not got much kona in it, but it's an awfully good coffee blend and really cheap.

the Talking Can
09-10-2011, 07:06 AM
love french presses, but find it difficult to get the right grind...

I use one of these now, home and at work, and make an amazing cup of coffee while still using a cheap spice grinder:

http://store.bluebottlecoffee.net/Detail.bok?no=54
http://counterculturecoffee.com/tamper?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=25&product_id=175

http://counterculturecoffee.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Bonmac_Pro_Drip__4c476fc8bea25.jpg

Find a locally roasted coffee, nothing in a grocery store is fresh. Random factoid, I discovered a few months ago that one of the best espressos in the country is in Topeka, KS. PTs Coffee...blew my mind.

Baconeater
09-10-2011, 07:15 AM
I've had a total of 20 minutes of sleep in the last 24 hours, so I'm enjoying a cup of coffee right now.

milkman
09-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Coffee snobs.

Earthling
09-10-2011, 08:02 AM
The trouble is that I want this for work. I never drink coffee at home. I love the taste of coffee though and grew up drinking freshly picked/roasted when I still lived in PR.

It isn't feasible for me to have my own coffee pot at my desk and hot water is readily available from the coffee maker. A press seems like the ideal tool... what troubles have you had? Anything I should avoid?

The cleanup mostly. Oh and if it says a '4 cupper' is what you are getting that must be some kind of a french tea cup or something because it won't hardly be more than 2 regular cups. You barely have room for the Irish whiskey. ;)

Keep in mind that I personally drink more than 10 cups of coffee per day and I'm sure my pallet was burned up years ago.

Graystoke
09-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Did French Presses for years. the clean up of grounds suck. In addition the oils stay in the coffee, which I find foul the taste of a good brew.
I opted to get an Electric Water Kettle and one cup filter cones. Get three or four cones, some number 2 brown filters and BAM...Coffee on!

Best coffee ever made.
http://www.coffeedetective.com/images/filtercone.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-QBJ9HoFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Earthling
09-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Coffee snobs.

I remember when I went fishing with my uncle as a young man and he just scooped up some lake water in an old coffee can, threw in some grounds, and boiled the shit out of it. I think I liked it but that was many years ago. :D

JD10367
09-10-2011, 08:12 AM
I have a FP and agree that it makes very good coffee. And that it's hard to clean. I haven't used it in a very long time.

I drink coffee. My wife doesn't. So my new obsession is the Keuring single-cup coffeemaker. Drop in a K-cup, add a cup of water to the top, in 2 minutes it gives you a hot fresh cup, and you don't have to worry about the rest of a pot getting cold and stale. You can buy inserts (expensive through Keurig, cheaper and better through other companies) which allow you to use your own coffee (it basically turns it into a one-cup coffeepot with a tiny filter). The way the hot water injects quickly through the coffee seems to make a potent yet not bitter or overstrong cup. You can pick up a Keurig one-cupper for <$99 and a "generic" version (e.g. Maxwell House's) for <$79. I actually have two machines now: one in work, and one at home. You can order the coffee right through Keurig and get it cheaper than in places like Bed Bath & Beyond.

I don't like dark roasts or bitter coffees, so I detest Starbucks stores--although, many people I talk to say that they hate Starbucks stores but actually like Starbucks coffee when brewed at home, so I might have to try some. Dunkin' Donuts used to make a nice mellow mocha java blend but their coffee went sour decades ago. My current favorite is Green Mountain, which makes a nice mellow roast and has many flavor varieties if you're into that sort of thing. (GM also partnered with Newman's Own Organic to supply coffee to New England McDonald's stores and, frankly, their coffee now blows Dunkin' Donuts off the map.)

As for traditional coffees, I do enjoy the more expensive blends (Jamaican blue mountain, Hawaiian kona). I have not and will not try the "cat shit coffee", that's just gross. For store-bought, I actually still like the occasional Folger's or Maxwell House, and Chock Full O' Nuts is an underrated can as well.

If you're really cheap, you can do what I used to do in the late 80s: I had a little one-cup kit which consisted of a plastic stick, and small filters with a hole in the top. You stuck the stick through the two holes, popped open the little filter like a tent, added some grounds, rested the stick across the top of your cup, and poured hot water through the filter. Voila, coffee. :)

JD10367
09-10-2011, 08:15 AM
And I'm currently having coffee from an old-style plug-in percolator. Definitely wakes you up, and has that distinctive taste that just reminds you of the 70s and before. :)

Graystoke
09-10-2011, 08:25 AM
And I'm currently having coffee from an old-style plug-in percolator. Definitely wakes you up, and has that distinctive taste that just reminds you of the 70s and before. :)

God the Perc stuff is awesome. Only time I drink it is at Weddings and Funerals.

Ace Gunner
09-10-2011, 08:42 AM
I use those coffee presses for tea. They work great for that though I agree they are messy. To me, nothing beats a steam press like this one;

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-ECM160-Espresso-Machine/dp/B000U6BSI2/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1315661682&sr=1-2

Takes a month or so to mellow the cheapo ones, but as long as it gets hot enough to really steam out, the shit works. No need to buy the expensive shit unless you got the flow for it.

Dave Lane
09-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Here's what I've got. I love it. Probably a bit much for the office tho...

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/commercial/lapavonipub

Johnny Vegas
01-06-2012, 06:33 PM
whats the big hit now for coffee eh? I just am about done with duncan donuts brand. heh

DaveNull
01-06-2012, 08:06 PM
If you're using a French Press and hate the cleanup...check out the Aeropress. Similar concept with none of the masochism.

Buck
01-06-2012, 08:08 PM
I have one of those Keurig Machines.

I don't really care what kind of coffee I get. I always drink it black, and enjoy all of the different roasts equally.

Backwards Masking
01-06-2012, 08:41 PM
i think its funny cig smokers are so frowned upon but coffee is unquestioned and accepted.

Both are habit forming as all get out and become Neccessities For Daily Life shortly after a person starts using. Sure, coffee is much better for you and doesnt have second hand bystanders, but still.

Simply Red
01-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Starbucks Sumatra - store grind it please. The notch setting between fine and espresso.

Baconeater
01-06-2012, 08:50 PM
i think its funny cig smokers are so frowned upon but coffee is unquestioned and accepted.

Both are habit forming as all get out and become Neccessities For Daily Life shortly after a person starts using. Sure, coffee is much better for you and doesnt have second hand bystanders, but still.
Every one of your posts oozes with stupidity.

Backwards Masking
01-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Every one of your posts oozes stupidity.

yeah, cause poeple who drink coffee for a half a year usually dont wind up drinking most of the rest of their lives.

just like people who smoke for half a year don't usually wind up smoking for most of the rest their lives.

Johnny Vegas
01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm always looking for the best secret in beans to get. I usually mix french vanilla creamer with the regular shit, but want to find beans not mix any flavored creamer, but with warm milk.

cdcox
01-06-2012, 09:37 PM
yeah, cause poeple who drink coffee for a half a year usually dont wind up drinking most of the rest of their lives.

just like people who smoke for half a year don't usually wind up smoking for most of the rest their lives.

and people who have zex for half a year don't usually end up having sex for most of the rest of their lives.

and people who drive for half a year don't usually end up driving for most of the rest of their lives.

and people who read for half a year don't usually end up reading for most of the rest of their lives.

Backwards Masking
01-06-2012, 09:40 PM
and people who have zex for half a year don't usually end up having sex for most of the rest of their lives.

and people who drive for half a year don't usually end up driving for most of the rest of their lives.

and people who read for half a year don't usually end up reading for most of the rest of their lives.

addiction is addiction. the above mentioned, get this....are NECESSARY.

unless of course you plan on giving up reading and driving.

Buck
01-06-2012, 10:17 PM
You guys please be more sensitive, my great grandpa died of Coffee Cancer.

Backwards Masking
01-06-2012, 10:19 PM
You guys please be more sensitive, my great grandpa died of Coffee Cancer.

hey now, i know it's harmless health wise, so long as you aren't downing 12 a day. but cmon, ive watched my parents and countless girlfriends Physically Unable To Function without it.

theres a word for you can't think correctly, act correctly, or work correctly without a Crutch...

Monty
01-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Starbucks Sumatra - store grind it please. The notch setting between fine and espresso.

Yep. Pikes Roast is my other favorite too.

Braincase
01-06-2012, 10:47 PM
I frickin' hate burnt tasting French Roast coffee. You buy into that idiotic Starbucks philosophy, I hope you burn the buds off your tongue.

I mostly drink shade-grown Sumatran medium roast of Peaberry. It doesn't kick you in the teeth like an Espresso, and it isn't as weak as Folger's day-long farm coffee.

Just went through a nice bag of whole bean Arabica from Jordan that my wife smuggled out of Amman. Nice.

Looking forward to the Peaberry, nonetheless.

Cornstock
01-06-2012, 11:05 PM
If you're going to be drinking it at work and want a quick route without sacrificing taste I would go with the Keurig K-cup route. No cleanup, and you can buy variety packs that have a bunch of coffees in them so you can taste around to see what you like...As opposed to buying a bag/can of something you hate after two cups.

French press can't be beat as far as taste and quality but it may be a cumbersome process for work.

Mr. Kotter
01-06-2012, 11:16 PM
If you're going to be drinking it at work and want a quick route without sacrificing taste I would go with the Keurig K-cup route. No cleanup, and you can buy variety packs that have a bunch of coffees in them so you can taste around to see what you like...As opposed to buying a bag/can of something you hate after two cups.

Dittos. THIS.... :toast:

Backwards Masking
01-06-2012, 11:17 PM
you can buy variety packs that have a bunch of coffees in them so you can taste around to see what you like...As opposed to buying a bag/can

i'm so glad i never Got Hooked. i'm saving a Fortune on a Daily Basis.

ClevelandBronco
01-06-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm fine with drinking Friday's leftovers after a three day weekend. A minute in the microwave and I can't tell the difference.

Mr. Kotter
01-06-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm fine with drinking Friday's leftovers after a three day weekend. A minute in the microwave and I can't tell the difference.

No wonder I've often thought your brain cells are fried...this is proof. Sorry, man.

Cornstock
01-06-2012, 11:23 PM

Some people spend their money on soda/pop, others beer (not at work...usually), and others on various other beverages. Most likely you're spending that money somewhere unless you're drinking water.

ClevelandBronco
01-06-2012, 11:23 PM
No wonder I've often thought your brain cells are fried...this is proof. Sorry, man.

It wasn't the coffee. It was the tequila, and I sure as shootin' didn't drink that for the taste either.

cdcox
01-06-2012, 11:25 PM

I feel sorry for people who don't drink coffee because when they roll out of bed, that is the best they are going to feel all day long.

NewChief
01-06-2012, 11:27 PM
French press at work for afternoon coffee most days. It's pretty awesome. Only one coffee shoP in town has coffee that rivals mine

Backwards Masking
01-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Some people spend their money on soda/pop, others beer (not at work...usually), and others on various other beverages. Most likely you're spending that money somewhere unless you're drinking water.

true, i personally only drink soda maybe once, twice a month, and beer only a weekends. i doubt if i quit the beer and spent the money on coffeesque items on a Daily Basis i'd save anything, might lose some, especially if drinking Starbucks or Fancy Shmancy Shops.

at least beer me makes me Feel Good. coffee just makes people feel Normal.

pr_capone
01-06-2012, 11:28 PM
I feel sorry for people who don't drink coffee because when they roll out of bed, that is the best they are going to feel all day long.

I agree with Dean Martin Jr.

Backwards Masking
01-06-2012, 11:29 PM

haha, that saying works the best though for anyone Completely Sober. and i feel damn sorry for them too, cause they're usually a Miserable Lot.

cdcox
01-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Coffee just makes people feel like superman.

Totally agree.

And you poop like a Timex.

Cornstock
01-06-2012, 11:34 PM
true, i personally only drink soda maybe once, twice a month, and beer only a weekends. i doubt if i quit the beer and spent the money on coffeesque items on a Daily Basis i'd save anything, might lose some, especially if drinking Starbucks or Fancy Shmancy Shops.

at least beer me makes me Feel Good. coffee just makes people feel Normal.

I agree, i don't think that would add up to the cost of those who are Starbucks/Caribou/any other coffee house frequenters. I've never been a big fan of the coffee house thing. I don't think the coffee is any better than anything I can't Keurig or French Press at home. But some people swear by them for the atmosphere.

Backwards Masking
01-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Totally agree.

And you poop like a Timex.

never made me feel like Superman.

but i could dig this Poop Like A Timex stuff...

Backwards Masking
01-06-2012, 11:36 PM
But some people swear by them for the atmosphere.

yea, but those people usually come across as needing A Place To Be (aka a lie) or just plain Spoiled, in my experience.

Mr. Kotter
01-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Ya know, you could have it ALL if ya wanted....there are a number of Imperial Stout beers that have strong hints of both coffee and chocolate. Each time I find one, I think...."this is what life was meant to be."

My latest:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2372/21950

Miles
01-06-2012, 11:37 PM

French press can't be beat as far as taste and quality but it may be a cumbersome process for work.

I recently ditched the drip maker for a Keurig and its pretty excellent for what it does. I far prefer coffee from my press but the process is too much for my morning routine.

Cornstock
01-06-2012, 11:38 PM
yea, but those people usually come across as needing A Place To Be (aka a lie) or just plain Spoiled, in my experience.

This

pr_capone
01-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Ya know, you could have it ALL if ya wanted....there are a number of Imperial Stout beers that have strong hints of both coffee and chocolate. Each time I find one, I think...."this is what life was meant to be."

Absolute total and complete heaven.

http://www.schlafly.com/beers/styles/coffee-stout/

http://www.schlafly.com/uploads/2010/11/29/coffeestout.png

Cornstock
01-06-2012, 11:41 PM

My latest:

I've tried the Sam Adams one and it was amazing. I haven't seen others though. But not a lot of selection in my area.

Miles
01-06-2012, 11:42 PM

My latest:

Depending on where you live for availability and if you haven't tried them yet, Great Divide out of Denver probably has a few you might really dig. Yeti Imperial Stout, Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout and Expresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout.

http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/great-divide-yeti-imperial-stout.jpg

Miles
01-06-2012, 11:45 PM

I think I have used close to this same press for about 5-6 years. Basic but hasn't let me down. Makes enough for most of a travel mug as well.

Mr. Kotter
01-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Well then fellas, I say we say "screw it" and replace the morning Java routine with the most available and delectable Imperial Stout we can find...what say you???

This has become a favorite of mine:

pr_capone
01-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Well then fellas, I say we say "screw it" and replace the morning Java routine with the most available and delectable Imperial Stout we can find...what say you???

I would be absolutely unbearable at work if I didn't have the real deal. I typically take down about 64oz of coffee a day at work.

Johnny Vegas
01-06-2012, 11:50 PM

I say the decaf walk the plank, grrrr!

HMc
01-06-2012, 11:51 PM
I agree, i don't think that would add up to the cost of those who are Starbucks/Caribou/any other coffee house frequenters. I've never been a big fan of the coffee house thing. I don't think the coffee is any better than anything I can't Keurig or French Press at home. But some people swear by them for the atmosphere.

uh, wut? starbucks and the like sell espresso coffee, often with milk in it.

You can't make a latte or mocha or flat white to the same standard using a friggen french press as a coffee shop can with a commercial grade espresso machine.

HMc
01-06-2012, 11:53 PM

because only those people like, uh, leaving their homes to purchase food and drink. It's the guy that sits at home fiddling with his coffee plunger that has the life :rolleyes:

Mr. Kotter
01-06-2012, 11:54 PM
I would be absolutely unbearable at work if I didn't have the real deal. I typically take down about 64oz of coffee a day at work.

A sixer of Old Rasputin might get you fired from most places, so stickin' to the K-cups is probably a better idea. Heh.

Miles
01-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Old Rasputin is pretty damn good. If you like that stuff definitely take a look around for that Great Divide.

NewChief
01-06-2012, 11:57 PM
As a tangent: the Keurig are overrated. Better than a lot of coffee, but not nearly as good as really good coffee. I'm spoiled. My favorite place roasts their own, and it's incredible. Like, it's delicious meth in a cup. Starbucks has really lowered our expectations.

Cornstock
01-06-2012, 11:57 PM
uh, wut? starbucks and the like sell espresso coffee, often with milk in it.

You can't make a latte or mocha or flat white to the same standard using a friggen french press as a coffee shop can with a commercial grade espresso machine.

Being a coffee house they additionally sell *gasp* coffee! That is severely overpriced.

In the morning I don't want all the sweet sugar/syrup shit. I just want coffee.

I'm not criticizing those who do enjoy latte's and I'll have one every once in a while, but its not my day to day drink.

Cornstock
01-06-2012, 11:58 PM

This has become a favorite of mine:

Here, Here!

Cornstock
01-07-2012, 12:01 AM
As a tangent: the Keurig are overrated. Better than a lot of coffee, but not nearly as good as really good coffee. I'm spoiled. My favorite place roasts their own, and it's incredible. Like, it's delicious meth in a cup. Starbucks has really lowered our expectations.

Another negative that gets the tree huggers up in arms is that all the cups waste a material and space in a landfill.

HMc
01-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Being a coffee house they additionally sell *gasp* coffee! That is severely overpriced.

In the morning I don't want all the sweet sugar/syrup shit. I just want coffee.

I'm not criticizing those who do enjoy latte's and I'll have one every once in a while, but its not my day to day drink.

Most people go to coffee houses or cafes or whatever to buy coffee, often coffees (lattes, flat whites etc) that you can't easily replicate at home.

And yeah, some people enjoy going out for coffee, much like people go out to eat and drink.

And obviously shit costs more when you get someone else to make it for you. FFS :rolleyes:

NewChief
01-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Another negative that gets the tree huggers up in arms is that all the cups waste a material and space in a landfill.

It's do argue with the "green" level of a French press. No filters. No cups.

Miles
01-07-2012, 12:04 AM

A tangent I agree with completely. The K-cups offer great convenience. If you want a solid cup of coffee in a short amount of time with no prep and cleanup its perfect.

Also agreed on the Starbucks has lowered our expectations. Local roasters that know what they are doing can really be great. Easily the best coffee I have ever had came from a place on Magazine St. in NOLA that roasted it in house.

Cornstock
01-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Most people go to coffee houses or cafes or whatever to buy coffee, often coffees (lattes, flat whites etc) that you can't easily replicate at home.

And yeah, some people enjoy going out for coffee, much like people go out to eat and drink.

And obviously shit costs more when you get someone else to make it for you. FFS :rolleyes:

We're straying from the point of the thread: what to drink on a day to day basis. On a day to day basis I prefer to brew my own whether through a Keurig or press or drip. I've already said that I enjoy lattes on occasion and the only place to get those is at a shop. God knows Im not going to fork over the money for all the equipment necessary to make those.

Drinking lattes etc on a day to day basis is expensive and not for me. There is a certain type of person that does prefer that, and as mentioned earlier, most of us on the CP would be able to identify what type of person that is.

HMc
01-07-2012, 12:11 AM
We're straying from the point of the thread: what to drink on a day to day basis. On a day to day basis I prefer to brew my own whether through a Keurig or press or drip. I've already said that I enjoy lattes on occasion and the only place to get those is at a shop. God knows Im not going to fork over the money for all the equipment necessary to make those.

Drinking lattes etc on a day to day basis is expensive and not for me. There is a certain type of person that does prefer that, and as mentioned earlier, most of us on the CP would be able to identify what type of person that is.

Most of the Western world drinks espresso coffee you moron. Americans are really the exception with the drip shit.

Cornstock
01-07-2012, 12:12 AM
It's do argue with the "green" level of a French press. No filters. No cups.

Definitely very eco-friendly

Cornstock
01-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Most of the Western world drinks espresso coffee you moron. Americans are really the exception with the drip shit.

I don't understand what you're up in arms about?

Do you have an espresso machine at home? If so, props. I don't, and I don't imagine many people on CP do. I don't prefer drip but I'll drink it in a pinch.

Nzoner
01-07-2012, 10:27 AM
As for traditional coffees, I do enjoy the more expensive blends (Jamaican blue mountain,

First tasted this in 1993 and absolutely loved it,in fact Santa brought me 2 lbs just a couple of weeks ago.

Baby Lee
01-07-2012, 10:44 AM
First Re: French press. I've found it to be a thoroughly delicious and easy process. My coffee of choice is Trader Joe's Wintry Blend [100% Arabica with stick cinnamon and peppercorns]. Heat up water double the capacity of the press in pressure cooker. Put half in the press, stir, and put the rest in an old trusty Stanley thermos to heat it up. 5 minutes later, press, empty the thermos and fill with coffee, put the press in the sink and fill with water [to wash later after the caffeine kicked in. Clean up of standalone grinder and press doesn't take any longer than cleaning the parts of my Cuisinart [auto grinder halves, mesh ground receptacle, pot and lid].

I don't understand what you're up in arms about?

Do you have an espresso machine at home? If so, props. I don't, and I don't imagine many people on CP do. I don't prefer drip but I'll drink it in a pinch.

I still get good results from my >10yo Swift Capucinno maker. It's technically a 'steam press' rather than a proper espresso maker, but it still extracts plenty of essential oils out of the grinds. Also, its sidekick frother is great. It operates like a sand blaster, using the steam to siphon the milk from the reservoir so it froths the milk in little increments as it travels with the steam from the reservoir to your cup. I always get a good 2" of foam on top.

Buehler445
01-07-2012, 11:03 AM

You are dumber than a bag of shit. I drink coffee in the winter. Come march I shut it off until it gets cold again. No addiction. No physiological withdrawal. No psychological need.

NewChief
01-07-2012, 11:11 AM
At home my wife and I use a traditional drip coffee maker. I use a press at work, though. I usually make a press at lunch. I have a water boiler and a press in my room. It's a very efficient way to get my afternoon coffee. My students absolutely love it when they come in my room after I've made a press, too. Smells freaking awesome, and the flavor is much more intense and robust than drip coffee.

For those dissing the espresso method, try an Americano sometime (from an actually good coffee house, not Starbucks). The espresso method is solid and makes for a good coffee.

JD10367
01-07-2012, 11:43 AM
haha, that saying works the best though for anyone Completely Sober. and i feel damn sorry for them too, cause they're usually a Miserable Lot.

did you know that Capital Letters actually go at the beginning of your Sentence and not on every other Important Word.

Johnny Vegas
01-07-2012, 11:45 AM
so I went out to Albertsons and bought Java Delight Esspresso Dark Roast. Pretty damn good and smooth which was on sale for $8.49/lbs.

JD10367
01-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Coffee is kind of like sex: it's not always about the prettiest and most attractive package, because once you get down to it you might find out it's pretty damn good, LOL.

One of the local companies in New England is--uncreatively enough--New England Coffee (http://www.newenglandcoffee.com/). They have a very smooth regular flavor that many New England restaurants use and it provides the best cup of coffee I've had. They also have many flavors (blueberry's one of my favorite, as is the seasonal eggnog). And it's relatively dirt cheap, costing at most around $6 a bag and often on sale.

Another great company is Green Mountain (http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/). They do a lot of work for Keurig and, again, have great flavors and a smooth regular brew. They've also partnered with Newman's Own Organic and supply all the New England McDonald's stores with coffee... and, as a result, their coffee now kicks ass on Dunkin' Donuts (and is only $1 per cup regardless of size... you can get a large and swim in it all morning).

And Starbucks is definitely better at home than in-store. They just started selling their K-Cups but they fuck you up the ass on them and only sell them in their stores. I plan on buying a Keurig filter insert and just using ground Starbucks coffee. (There's a secondhand company that makes a great Keurig insert; it's a little red plastic job that's the same size as a K-Cup so you don't need to remove the whole filter assembly. You just plop it in like a K-Cup. You can get them at Bed Bath & Beyond.)

aturnis
01-07-2012, 12:29 PM
As far as supermarket coffee is concerned, I do like Dunkin' Donuts Original and EightO'Clock coffee has some good beans for a good price.

Stewie
01-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I drink my coffee black and only buy 100% Colombian. As long as the water temperature during brewing is between 195 and 205 you'll get a great cup of coffee, no matter the method. Hard water preferred, but if you don't have hard water add a pinch of salt to the grind.

I'm reminded of when Starbucks was buying Kona beans in the mid 90s and people raved about the flavor based on the bean and the method of brewing. As it turned out they weren't Kona beans, but some run of the mill bean. Starbucks' suppliers were crooks and substituted middling beans for Kona. It woke up the industry that it's not the quality/flavor of the coffee, but the perception of quality and fancy brewing to turn something into a $5 cup of Joe.

Buehler445
01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
I drink my coffee black and only buy 100% Colombian. As long as the water temperature during brewing is between 195 and 205 you'll get a great cup of coffee, no matter the method. Hard water preferred, but if you don't have hard water add a pinch of salt to the grind.

I'm reminded of when Starbucks was buying Kona beans in the mid 90s and people raved about the flavor based on the bean and the method of brewing. As it turned out they weren't Kona beans, but some run of the mill bean. Starbucks' suppliers were crooks and substituted middling beans for Kona. It woke up the industry that it's not the quality/flavor of the coffee, but the perception of quality and fancy brewing to turn something into a $5 cup of Joe.

Gotta disagree with hard water. At the farm dad makes coffee with hard ass water straight out of the ground. I use RO water at my house and it tastes MUCH better.

Stewie
01-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Gotta disagree with hard water. At the farm dad makes coffee with hard ass water straight out of the ground. I use RO water at my house and it tastes MUCH better.

RO doesn't remove hardness. It must be the source at your dad's house.

cdcox
01-07-2012, 12:47 PM
RO doesn't remove hardness. It must be the source at your dad's house.

Yes it does.

Baby Lee
01-07-2012, 12:54 PM

You don't overly hard or soft water.

With hard water, the base minerals neutralize the acidic oils being extracted from the beans, and also scales the maker.

Soft water goes too far the other way, harshening the acids to bitterness.

Stewie
01-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Yes it does.

It does not. Softening water requires ionic exchange.

JD10367
01-07-2012, 12:57 PM
You don't overly hard or soft water.

With hard water, the base minerals neutralize the acidic oils being extracted from the beans, and also scales the maker.

Soft water goes too far the other way, harshening the acids to bitterness.

Hence the reason I use plain old unfiltered tap water, LOL. A nice middle ground, and the right price (free).

Cornstock
01-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I still get good results from my >10yo Swift Capucinno maker. It's technically a 'steam press' rather than a proper espresso maker, but it still extracts plenty of essential oils out of the grinds. Also, its sidekick frother is great. It operates like a sand blaster, using the steam to siphon the milk from the reservoir so it froths the milk in little increments as it travels with the steam from the reservoir to your cup. I always get a good 2" of foam on top.

This sounds fantastic. Where did you get this thing and how much did it run you?

Cornstock
01-07-2012, 01:50 PM
For those dissing the espresso method, try an Americano sometime (from an actually good coffee house, not Starbucks). The espresso method is solid and makes for a good coffee.

I do like Americanos, and they are affordable by coffehouse standards, but I can't make them at home :(

CoMoChief
01-07-2012, 01:55 PM
dunkin donuts hazelnut blend

mmmmgood. expensive as hell though.

Baby Lee
01-07-2012, 02:00 PM
This sounds fantastic. Where did you get this thing and how much did it run you?

Got it for X-mas eons ago. It's brand and model are 'Swift TSK-183.' All I can find are links to long closed ebay auctions and requests for user manuals.

This [otherwise random] model has a VERY similar milk reservoir system, so you can picture it. Only the Swift has steel tubing that comes out the side of the unit into the top of the reservoir and the milk comes out the front. You move your cup under the reservoir spigot after the espresso is made, and switch the course of the steam to go into the milk.

http://salestores.com/stores/images/images_747/SAECO00330.jpg

Buck
02-17-2012, 09:36 PM
So today I heard of Bulletproof Coffee.

Anyone here ever try it?