PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto House buying - What is your deal killer?

Guru
09-10-2011, 10:47 AM
We may be putting our house on the market and the Realtor gave us a short list of things we should do. Some I understand but at least one I don't.

When you enter our house, the first thing you see is a hardwood floor hallway and a carpeted stairwell going upstairs. The Realtor wants us recarpet it because of the color. It is a slate blue. I've never had an issue with it and I've never had anyone who has come into our home comment on it.

Would any of you allow the color of a stairwell carpet dissuade you from purchasing an entire house?

Pawnmower
09-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't...but I know some dumb-asses would...Some people lack the imagination to see beyond simple things and don't have the ability to envision the place after they have made their upgrades...

They are morons, but also tend to pay top dollar to have the place exactly as they want from the get go, since they're too stupid to do otherwise.

edit:

The pertinent question is: Can You get your money's worth out of changing the carpet? If you spend a grand on changing the carpet will you get an extra grand (or more) back out of it?

kcfan82
09-10-2011, 10:51 AM
We may be putting our house on the market and the Realtor gave us a short list of things we should do. Some I understand but at least one I don't.

When you enter our house, the first thing you see is a hardwood floor hallway and a carpeted stairwell going upstairs. The Realtor wants us recarpet it because of the color. It is a slate blue. I've never had an issue with it and I've never had anyone who has come into our home comment on it.

Would any of you allow the color of a stairwell carpet dissuade you from purchasing an entire house?

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest...

I don't know how your realtor works, but our last realtor used http://www.showings.com/

It schedules showings for you, and people can leave feedback anonymously about what they thought of your houses. You can make changes as needed after that.

The Bad Guy

Nope, never. Personally, if i was buying a house and I hated the blue, I'd want to be able to pick out the color.

Chiefnj2
Will your house likely sell to 1st time homebuyers or someone else? 1st time homebuyers might be turned off (assuming the realtor is correct) on a "you only get one chance to make a 1st impression" line of thinking. If someone has owned a house before I think they can much more easily not take wall color, carpet color, etc., into account knowing they are easy to change and aren't a big deal in the big picture.

kcfan82
09-10-2011, 10:53 AM
We had a couple b*tch about the interior paint colors, are there really people out there too stupid to handle a paint roller?

DMAC
09-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Probably my credit.

Dunit35
09-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm going to buy our 1st house in the next couple years. If I saw something inexpensive and unattractive in our eyes I'd fix it myself to my liking. It doesn't bother me to spend a little to make it to our liking.

Guru
09-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Will your house likely sell to 1st time homebuyers or someone else? 1st time homebuyers might be turned off (assuming the realtor is correct) on a "you only get one chance to make a 1st impression" line of thinking. If someone has owned a house before I think they can much more easily not take wall color, carpet color, etc., into account knowing they are easy to change and aren't a big deal in the big picture.

Nope. Not a chance a first timer would buy a 5br home.

Dunit35
09-10-2011, 10:58 AM
We had a couple b*tch about the interior paint colors, are there really people out there too stupid to handle a paint roller?

Exactly, if we don't like it we can change colors. It's my generation, a majority our age are lazy.

Guru
09-10-2011, 11:00 AM

That was one of the things he is having us do. Lose the wallpaper in our bedroom and repaint. I'm OK with that because it is the Master Bedroom.

However, I have never understood the mentality to do all the work for the buyer. I know when I look at a house, I am looking for a way to put my own stamp on it rather than have somebody else make those decisions for me.

KCUnited
09-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Color of carpet and walls shouldn't sway anyone, but having just purchased a home and having pretty much my pick of anything I wanted with the way this market is, shit that normally wouldn't mean much turned into deal breakers.

LiveSteam
09-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Who is to say peeps will like the new color of the carpet you install. I wouldnt waist my time or money if the carpet is in good condition

Guru
09-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Who is to say peeps will like the new color of the carpet you install. I wouldnt waist my time or money if the carpet is in good condition

It isn't great but it isn't bad either. I keep standing at my doorway looking at it and thinking to myself why anyone would let that sway them from buying. Even if it is the first thing they see.

I trust my Realtor but I'm having a hard time with this one item.

KCUnited
09-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Could be your realitor has seen other comparibles around you and knows what your house may need to compete with other homes on the market in your price range.

Johnny Vegas
09-10-2011, 11:08 AM
how many houses are for sale on your street?

ChiefButthurt
09-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Your realtor is just trying to make the sale real easy. All neutral colors attract more buyers. Making a statement with pastels turns some off.

LiveSteam
09-10-2011, 11:13 AM
It isn't great but it isn't bad either. I keep standing at my doorway looking at it and thinking to myself why anyone would let that sway them from buying. Even if it is the first thing they see.

I would use Chem dry on the carpet & call it good.

jspchief
09-10-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm thinking the realtor is afraid people will see blue and immediately think "dated"

Maybe the difference between a faster sale. You have to remember how much of a buyer's market it is. People have the luxury of nit-picking.

If it were me, I'd price a carpet change and weigh that against my desire for a speedy sale. Keep in mind that even cheap brand new carpet is going to look nice, so it's not like you need to go get the quality of stuff that you'd buy for yourself.

Bugeater
09-10-2011, 11:31 AM
To me, a deal killer is something that can't easily be changed, i.e. small kitchen or bathrooms.

Phobia
09-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I would listen to your realtor. It's the first thing you see and it's not attractive. First impressions will dictate how the entire house is viewed.

DaFace
09-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Hell, when we viewed our house, there was a 5-foot-tall Broncos helmet fathead on the wall of one of the bedrooms. If I can look past that, people should be able to look past blue carpet. :)

Ace Gunner
09-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Ya, I've got that slate blue in my basement and had a realtor comment as well even though the carpet is in great shape. I wouldn't play with it unless it's beat, which it seems yours isn't.

alnorth
This is the sort of thing that does not lend itself to message board polls. I'd also say "no, I don't think I'd care", but I don't know that because it would be a subconscious response.

A lot of people see 5 or 6 houses that, objectively speaking, they should like equally because all the details of condition, location, layout, etc are very similar, but they will zero in on one because of a vague feeling.

Maybe the realtor is right, or maybe they don't know what they are talking about, but you'd almost need to conduct an experiment with houses that have blue carpet on stairs vs those that have white carpet on stairs to see if there's a noticeable difference in number of people willing to make an offer.

Ace Gunner
Hell, when we viewed our house, there was a 5-foot-tall Broncos helmet fathead on the wall of one of the bedrooms. If I can look past that, people should be able to look past blue carpet. :)

hahaha

Fried Meat Ball!
09-10-2011, 11:45 AM
It wouldn't make much of a difference to me, but I think your realtor is probably right. She's the expert in this, and it's such a buyer's market, potential buyers can hold out and get something that's exactly what they're looking for.

As for painting, someone else asked if people were too stupid to handle a roller. The answer, at least for me, is no. I can paint. However, the one thing in the WORLD that I hate almost as much as moving, is painting.

Predarat
09-10-2011, 11:56 AM
I have never understood why they want you to replace things when the buyer could pick out and customize exactly what they want. It would suck to replace something and the buyer claim they want something else. With this being a buyers market you may get raked over the coals with something like that. Its a double edged sword though because you do want a good presentation.

Guru
09-10-2011, 11:57 AM
It wouldn't make much of a difference to me, but I think your realtor is probably right. She's the expert in this, and it's such a buyer's market, potential buyers can hold out and get something that's exactly what they're looking for.

As for painting, someone else asked if people were too stupid to handle a roller. The answer, at least for me, is no. I can paint. However, the one thing in the WORLD that I hate almost as much as moving, is painting.

Painting is nothing. Try removing wallpaper. Now thats work.

Guru
09-10-2011, 12:33 PM
God I wish my wife would have never even found that house she fell in love with. We weren't even looking. This is just causing me all kinds of stress.

Crappy thing is that we can't even put a bid down on that house unless somebody commits to ours. That house may be gone by then and we just wasted time and money. Sellers won't take contingency offers.

Dayze
09-10-2011, 12:34 PM
our house was on the market for about a year; had average carpet etc; no bites by buyers. after 6 months, offered a carpet allowance. nada.

replaced the carpet, and the house solde in 30 days. Odd. never know what will turn off a buyer.

But yeah...if it were me buying a house, i wouldn't care what color it was; or what color walls were etc. easy fix to my taste etc

Guru
09-10-2011, 12:42 PM
our house was on the market for about a year; had average carpet etc; no bites by buyers. after 6 months, offered a carpet allowance. nada.

replaced the carpet, and the house solde in 30 days. Odd. never know what will turn off a buyer.

But yeah...if it were me buying a house, i wouldn't care what color it was; or what color walls were etc. easy fix to my taste etcWell crap. If I am spending money on carpet why am I moving.

Maybe I should start being THAT buyer.

DaFace
09-10-2011, 12:43 PM

But yeah...if it were me buying a house, i wouldn't care what color it was; or what color walls were etc. easy fix to my taste etc

I think a lot of it is that people are weighing the cost with how much effort they'll have to put into it. If the place has blue carpet, and most people won't like it, then everyone walks into the place thinking "OK, so is this worth the amount of effort it will take us to fix it."

Fried Meat Ball!
09-10-2011, 12:51 PM
I think a lot of it is that people are weighing the cost with how much effort they'll have to put into it. If the place has blue carpet, and most people won't like it, then everyone walks into the place thinking "OK, so is this worth the amount of effort it will take us to fix it."

That's my point. They can keep looking and for the same price they can get what they want.

Frazod
09-10-2011, 12:55 PM
The whole "house being in Kansas" thing would ruin it for me. :)

Just Passin' By
09-10-2011, 01:08 PM
I go into a home purchase/lease with the notion that I'm going to end up having to replace the carpets and paint the walls, so your blue carpet wouldn't really mean much to me.

For other people, though, who want a move-in ready home, it could be a turnoff.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2011, 01:14 PM
God I wish my wife would have never even found that house she fell in love with. We weren't even looking. This is just causing me all kinds of stress.

Crappy thing is that we can't even put a bid down on that house unless somebody commits to ours. That house may be gone by then and we just wasted time and money. Sellers won't take contingency offers.

Good luck to you. We just sold our house, it had been on the market like 45-60 days. take your realtors advice. You dont want to alienate a whole demographic of buyers who cant see the forest for the trees. Theres alot of them out there. I think most people want "move in ready"

Dont forget to stage your home as well. Get rid of the clutter and make spaces look bigger.

ChiefsNow
09-10-2011, 01:17 PM
worthless without pics.

cdcox
09-10-2011, 01:42 PM
A lot of people view a house and make decision based on whether they like the house or not. They don't even think about why they like it or don't like it. They don't think about what can be changed or how much work or money it would cost. They just look at it the same way they do a shirt and make a snap decision about whether they like it or not.

That is what your Realtor is trying to accomplish, based on some psychological mumbo jumbo that has been demonstrated to work in the past. Can you sell the house without recarpeting the stairs? Probably, but you might miss out on selling it sooner to a mindless zombie.

Pestilence
09-10-2011, 02:06 PM
My wife and I are in the process of buying our first home. I would rather be able to choose what gets done to my house....then have the previous owner replace shit that I might end up having to replace again.

Guru
09-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Good luck to you. We just sold our house, it had been on the market like 45-60 days. take your realtors advice. You dont want to alienate a whole demographic of buyers who cant see the forest for the trees. Theres alot of them out there. I think most people want "move in ready"

Dont forget to stage your home as well. Get rid of the clutter and make spaces look bigger.

The thing I am worried about is that if we change out both areas of carpet we are thinking, we will have to replace all of the other areas too so it doesn't clash as much.

My plan was to pull the carpet off our hardwood floors because they were finished. But, the condition of the hardwood floors was deteriorated enough that they need refinished. So that option got eliminated. As much as I would like to just have them refinished, I can't get the time off work it would take to get them done properly.

I am really getting to the point that, as much as I hate this house we live in, it just isn't worth all the money we will have to soak into it to get it sold right now. We need that money for the house we actually want.

DTLB58
09-10-2011, 02:46 PM
A good relator wouldn't let someone not purchase a home based on just changing carpet or paint color. Silly.

greg63
09-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Nope, but that's just me.

Guru
09-10-2011, 02:50 PM
A good relator wouldn't let someone not purchase a home based on just changing carpet or paint color. Silly.

A realtor will do whatever it takes to get a sale. Sellers realtors make you spend money to make their job easier. Buyers realtors try to get the sellers to spend money to make their clients happy and put more money in their pocket. Sellers lose no matter how you look at it. heh

greg63
09-10-2011, 02:54 PM
A realtor will do whatever it takes to get a sale. Sellers realtors make you spend money to make their job easier. Buyers realtors try to get the sellers to spend money to make their clients happy and put more money in their pocket. Sellers lose no matter how you look at it. heh

Sounds about right.

doomy3
09-10-2011, 02:56 PM

LOL. The people who are looking at Guru's house will likely be represented by someone else. Someone who doesn't give one shit if they sell Guru's house or someone else's. Guru's agent's job is to make his house as marketable as possible to the most possible people. Changing the carpet would likely do that.

doomy3
09-10-2011, 02:57 PM

Of course a realtor will do whatever it takes to get a sale. That's what you hired them to do.

Guru
09-10-2011, 02:59 PM
wouldn't be so bad if we hadn't already soaked thousands into the house since we moved in by putting on a new roof, new siding, renovated kitchen and two renovated bathrooms.

Doesn't matter how much you have done. Just what you haven't done yet.

Oh, nearly forgot, remodeled the entire basement when we had to fix all the drain tile.

Guru
09-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Of course a realtor will do whatever it takes to get a sale. That's what you hired them to do.

you missed the point of my post.

doomy3
09-10-2011, 03:02 PM
wouldn't be so bad if we hadn't already soaked thousands into the house since we moved in by putting on a new roof, new siding, renovated kitchen and two renovated bathrooms.

Doesn't matter how much you have done. Just what you haven't done yet.

I understand your frustration, and this is most sellers' frustration right now.

The thing is that there is just an insane amount of competition right now. To sell a house quickly, it cannot be dated, it has to be very clean, and it has to be priced right. It all comes down to how much you want the other house and how quickly you want to sell. If it doesn't really matter to you and you'd be fine staying, then don't mess with the carpet. But if it is a big deal to you, change the carpet.

doomy3
09-10-2011, 03:04 PM
you missed the point of my post.

Not really. There's no magic your agent can perform to make your house sell substantially faster. The fact is, to sell the house, you have to put money in if it is dated. It's unfortunate, but no matter how hard your agent works to sell it, if buyers can't get past the blue carpet or whatever, then it doesn't really matter. Your agent is telling you something you don't want to hear, but it is their job to do so.

Guru
09-10-2011, 03:08 PM
I understand your frustration, and this is most sellers' frustration right now.

The thing is that there is just an insane amount of competition right now. To sell a house quickly, it cannot be dated, it has to be very clean, and it has to be priced right. It all comes down to how much you want the other house and how quickly you want to sell. If it doesn't really matter to you and you'd be fine staying, then don't mess with the carpet. But if it is a big deal to you, change the carpet.Personally, I don't think we will get a shot at the other house anyway and we will have spent all this money for nothing. I say that because in 10 years when we really want to move we will have to do this shit all over again.

Not really. There's no magic your agent can perform to make your house sell substantially faster. The fact is, to sell the house, you have to put money in if it is dated. It's unfortunate, but no matter how hard your agent works to sell it, if buyers can't get past the blue carpet or whatever, then it doesn't really matter. Your agent is telling you something you don't want to hear, but it is their job to do so.
My point was that the sellers always come out on the short end of the stick. Doesn't matter the economy or anything.

I would need this money for the things that need done in the new house. I don't want to funnel it into a house I wouldn't be living it anymore.

doomy3
09-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Personally, I don't think we will get a shot at the other house anyway and we will have spent all this money for nothing. I say that because in 10 years when we really want to move we will have to do this shit all over again.

My point was that the sellers always come out on the short end of the stick. Doesn't matter the economy or anything.

I would need this money for the things that need done in the new house. I don't want to funnel it into a house I wouldn't be living it anymore.

And you could very well be right. That's the tough part of the decision. You could always try it as is and see what happens if it's kind of a "that house or nothing" situation.

Guru
09-10-2011, 03:13 PM
And you could very well be right. That's the tough part of the decision. You could always try it as is and see what happens if it's kind of a "that house or nothing" situation.pretty much what it is for us. We weren't looking for a house when this one presented itself to us. We really like it and would really like to live in it. I just don't know if it is worth all the stress I am putting on myself and my wallet to get in it. Especially considering its not even a sure thing.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I would offer a carpet allowance if anything. Having just sold our house and sunk a fair amount of money into readying it for sale (new gutters, repaint trim, repaired drywall, tore out carpet in master and refinished hardwood) I would not do so again because of market conditions.

58-4ever
09-10-2011, 04:31 PM
We are trying to buy/sell a house right now. I'm doing so because of a career change. If I walked into a house and saw blue carpet, I wouldn't faze me much.... BUT, it is probably the first and last thing my wife would notice. And she is the one spending most of the time there.

I would say listen to your realtor. If it is just stairs and you go with some standard carpet, you'd spend far less than 1000 dollars to update that shit.

Ace Gunner
09-10-2011, 04:33 PM
maybe just get her a pair of shoes?

Rain Man
09-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I would offer a carpet allowance if anything. Having just sold our house and sunk a fair amount of money into readying it for sale (new gutters, repaint trim, repaired drywall, tore out carpet in master and refinished hardwood) I would not do so again because of market conditions.

This is the perfectly logical approach. However, as someone said earlier, there are a whole bunch of people who really can't envision change, and even if you give them an allowance they won't be able to see the place with a new carpet. That means that you'll pay the cost and you won't get the benefit of a better, faster sale.

If I may be forward, your Realtor may be diplomatically saying that your carpet is old, worn, or dirty, rather than it being the color. Post a picture on here and we'll give you the straight scoop.

Donger
09-10-2011, 04:38 PM
This is the perfectly logical approach. However, as someone said earlier, there are a whole bunch of people who really can't envision change, and even if you give them an allowance they won't be able to see the place with a new carpet. That means that you'll pay the cost and you won't get the benefit of a better, faster sale.

If I may be forward, your Realtor may be diplomatically saying that your carpet is old, worn, or dirty, rather than it being the color. Post a picture on here and we'll give you the straight scoop.

This is most definitely true. When we moved out to Colorado, we must have looked at 100 homes. My wife's only objection to the house we ended up buying was that the owner was a huge Av's fan and had painted the bottom half of the walls in the master Av's purple (or whatever color it is). She couldn't see past it and wanted to keep looking.

Donger
09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
The quick to a quick sale IMO (especially in this market) is to remember that it doesn't matter what YOU like. The only thing that matters is what the buyer likes. They have to be able to envision all their stuff in your home.

Get rid of ALL personal/family stuff of yours as much as possible. No pictures, portraits, etc.

Declutter. And I do mean DECLUTTER. The house should feel as open and roomy as possible.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-10-2011, 05:31 PM
The quick to a quick sale IMO (especially in this market) is to remember that it doesn't matter what YOU like. The only thing that matters is what the buyer likes. They have to be able to envision all their stuff in your home.

Get rid of ALL personal/family stuff of yours as much as possible. No pictures, portraits, etc.

Declutter. And I do mean DECLUTTER. The house should feel as open and roomy as possible.

a few family photos is't bad, just make sure you don't have a shrine.

you don't want the house to be too cold and impersonal.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I have been in real estate 13 years. I am an agent, but the majority of my experience comes from appraising and flipping houses.

#1) Color of carpet does not affect value in an appraisal.

#2) Color of carpet will absolutely make a difference in selling your house.

We can all say that it doesn't matter.... and this and that.... but the reality is that there are two types of homebuyers. The kind that are looking to do some stuff themselves and get sweat equity. And, the kind that just want to move in.

You want the kind wanting to move right in.

This is also different in this housing market as opposed to previous housing markets.

There are tons and tons of foreclosures. And, if a couple is turned off by the color of your carpet, whats to keep them from buying the one down the street that needs new carpet and paint, since it will probably be priced well under yours.

Don't forget to calculate carrying costs when you figure these things. Selling it 30 days sooner will likely get you a return on your investment.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Well, two things here. #1) A blue carpet of any shade is not appealing to most homebuyers.

#2) People can envision change. But, a person forms a subconcious opinion of the house as soon as they walk through the door. Especially, when that person is looking to move right into a house, not buy a 'fixer upper'.

Every big compromise they make in their mind makes the offer price go down.

And, there is entrepreneureal profit in ever compromise they make. So, if a repair will cost $600, then they want to get the house for at least $1000.00 less.

And, from the sounds of him renovating so much, it seems less than wise to avoid spending a little more to seal the deal.

Guru
09-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Well, two things here. #1) A blue carpet of any shade is not appealing to most homebuyers.

#2) People can envision change. But, a person forms a subconcious opinion of the house as soon as they walk through the door. Especially, when that person is looking to move right into a house, not buy a 'fixer upper'.

Every big compromise they make in their mind makes the offer price go down.

And, there is entrepreneureal profit in ever compromise they make. So, if a repair will cost $600, then they want to get the house for at least $1000.00 less.

And, from the sounds of him renovating so much, it seems less than wise to avoid spending a little more to seal the deal.
a few thousand more is more than "a little more" We had to stretch our funds to do all that work we had done as it is.

Again, my worry here is that the other house ends up selling before we can get an opportunity to bid on it then we did all this work for nothing. I don't want to turn around and do it all again in 5-10 years just because that is what the real estate market dictates.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-10-2011, 07:05 PM
a few thousand more is more than "a little more" We had to stretch our funds to do all that work we had done as it is.

Again, my worry here is that the other house ends up selling before we can get an opportunity to bid on it then we did all this work for nothing. I don't want to turn around and do it all again in 5-10 years just because that is what the real estate market dictates.

I absolutely get it. There is nothing wrong with putting it on the market to see if it will sell.

But, blue carpet is a drawback.

It comes down to whether you really want to sell the property. If you do, then change the carpet.

If you are just seeing if you 'can' sell it to buy this other house, you probably won't be able to sell it.

And, the less your agent senses your committment, the less work they will put into it. Being an agent is a comissioned based business. No since working hard for someone who isn't committed to selling their house.

If you are looking to move, now is a great time. Even if you miss the house you are aiming for now, this is one of the best times in recent years to move up in a house.

Oh, and, you may want to think about leasing the property out, depending on your debt to income ratio and if you have other money to put down.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-10-2011, 07:12 PM

How many square feet are you looking to carpet? Call around, and get several estimates. Go into new construction areas and try to catch some of the carpet layers that are there and see if they do side jobs.

You should be able to get it for less than $2.00 per square foot. I usually get it installed around 1.50 per square foot with new pad and everything... and I don't go with the cheapest carpet.

Guru
09-10-2011, 07:25 PM
I absolutely get it. There is nothing wrong with putting it on the market to see if it will sell.

But, blue carpet is a drawback.

It comes down to whether you really want to sell the property. If you do, then change the carpet.

If you are just seeing if you 'can' sell it to buy this other house, you probably won't be able to sell it.

And, the less your agent senses your committment, the less work they will put into it. Being an agent is a comissioned based business. No since working hard for someone who isn't committed to selling their house.

If you are looking to move, now is a great time. Even if you miss the house you are aiming for now, this is one of the best times in recent years to move up in a house.

Oh, and, you may want to think about leasing the property out, depending on your debt to income ratio and if you have other money to put down. It is either this house or no house. We were not looking and there are no other houses that are a step that we can afford other than this one.

How many square feet are you looking to carpet? Call around, and get several estimates. Go into new construction areas and try to catch some of the carpet layers that are there and see if they do side jobs.

You should be able to get it for less than $2.00 per square foot. I usually get it installed around 1.50 per square foot with new pad and everything... and I don't go with the cheapest carpet.
Went to 3 different stores today and the cheapest we could get for 2 rooms was 1800 installed. Only 600 sq feet too.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-10-2011, 07:33 PM
It is either this house or no house. We were not looking and there are no other houses that are a step that we can afford other than this one.

Went to 3 different stores today and the cheapest we could get for 2 rooms was 1800 installed. Only 600 sq feet too.

Did you already put a contingency contract on this house?

Also, don't got to any 'stores'. Home Depot, Lowes, Sears.... all will gouge you.

google 'carpet installer'. Look on Craigslist. Look for reviews online if you have questions.

Try to do cash. And, let them know that you will give them cash when the job is done. And, see if they can give you a cash discount. Installers have to pay a processing fee for credit cards. Plus, if you give them cash, they don't have to make a deposit. Everyone likes money they don't have to tell the IRS or their wife about.

I understand the situation. But, if you really want that other house, then make the play for it.

If you can't do it...then you end up with new carpet. But, in this market, you really have to either discount your house or make it really stand out. (in a good way).

I wish you the best no matter what.

Guru
09-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Did you already put a contingency contract on this house?

Also, don't got to any 'stores'. Home Depot, Lowes, Sears.... all will gouge you.

google 'carpet installer'. Look on Craigslist. Look for reviews online if you have questions.

Try to do cash. And, let them know that you will give them cash when the job is done. And, see if they can give you a cash discount. Installers have to pay a processing fee for credit cards. Plus, if you give them cash, they don't have to make a deposit. Everyone likes money they don't have to tell the IRS or their wife about.

I understand the situation. But, if you really want that other house, then make the play for it.

If you can't do it...then you end up with new carpet. But, in this market, you really have to either discount your house or make it really stand out. (in a good way).

I wish you the best no matter what.
It is a foreclosure house and the bank won't accept contingency offers. That really tied our hands. Don't know how they expect to sell it without contingency offers when prospective buyers have to get rid of their house too.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-10-2011, 08:27 PM
It is a foreclosure house and the bank won't accept contingency offers. That really tied our hands. Don't know how they expect to sell it without contingency offers when prospective buyers have to get rid of their house too.

Lots of buyers either have the ability to buy the house and carry the old one until it sells, or they don't have another house. In some situations, a husband or wife has been foreclosed on, and their spouse buys their next house.

Or, some buy their next house and then just let the previous one foreclose.

Not advising this, just letting you know what is going on in the market.

While unethical, the people in charge of selling that house don't care so long as they can get it sold.

RJ
09-10-2011, 08:43 PM

As a fellow who has been selling carpet for 30 years I will tell you.....change the carpet.

No one buys blue carpet and your home buyer has no clue what the price to change out carpet will be. They'll imagine it to be much more than it really is. Buy some realtor beige carpet and move on.

Is the carpet on the stairs only or is it upstairs as well?

RJ
09-10-2011, 08:47 PM
As a fellow who has been selling carpet for 30 years I will tell you.....change the carpet.

No one buys blue carpet and your home buyer has no clue what the price to change out carpet will be. They'll imagine it to be much more than it really is. Buy some realtor beige carpet and move on.

Is the carpet on the stairs only or is it upstairs as well?

Ok, I see now that you need about 600 s/f.

You can probably buy some low end carpet for about $1300 - $2 a s/f plus step labor.

Try a local dealer that carries some roll inventory, they will fix you up.

hometeam
09-10-2011, 08:47 PM
The thing I would worry about is that one negative impression of said carpet could put the house in a negative light in general. You know, it could give it a bad 'vibe'

KChiefs1
09-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Too many houses for sale not to do what your realtor says to do.

ChiefButthurt
09-10-2011, 09:30 PM
The thing I am worried about is that if we change out both areas of carpet we are thinking, we will have to replace all of the other areas too so it doesn't clash as much.

My plan was to pull the carpet off our hardwood floors because they were finished. But, the condition of the hardwood floors was deteriorated enough that they need refinished. So that option got eliminated. As much as I would like to just have them refinished, I can't get the time off work it would take to get them done properly.

I am really getting to the point that, as much as I hate this house we live in, it just isn't worth all the money we will have to soak into it to get it sold right now. We need that money for the house we actually want.

I'd rip up the carpet, clean up the hardwood......no refinishing necessary at this point. You would be surprised how people will like the "vintage" look. I'm really serious.

Guru
09-10-2011, 09:52 PM
I'd rip up the carpet, clean up the hardwood......no refinishing necessary at this point. You would be surprised how people will like the "vintage" look. I'm really serious.

Can't it would seriously clash with our brand new hardwood flooring in the kitchen and hallway right next to it.

Shaid
09-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Nope. Not a chance a first timer would buy a 5br home.

I did.

trndobrd
09-10-2011, 10:40 PM
We looked at our current home on an open house. It had sculpted fucia carpet in some parts of the house. Bubble gum pink paint, in the bedrooms, a kitchen with white cabinets covered with bumble-bee yellow spots. The place was decorated like a Las Vegas wedding chapel. My wife said she 'would never live in this house."

Several months later we were driving through the same neighborhood and saw that the house was still for sale, but was empty and had a sheriff's notice on the door. The home had never sold, and went into forclosure. We picked it up for $18k less than the previous owner was asking, plus the bank agreed to pay for new carpet and paint before closing.

So no, don't change the carpet.

TinyEvel
09-11-2011, 12:33 AM
First off: Does the carpet match the drapes? (c'mon, CP, 77 posts and that one hasn't been used yet? you're losing your burst)

Second: Slate blue is a deal-breaking color? Isn't that like a grey-blue? Not like it's friggen purple or green or something.

Third: If it looks bad, put your flatscreen with your PS3 and Uncharted 2 in the entryway and nobody will notice the carpet. BOOM!

Also, they say bake cookies during the open house, I say cook bacon. H to the E to the double L yes!

Guru
09-11-2011, 03:55 AM
First off: Does the carpet match the drapes? (c'mon, CP, 77 posts and that one hasn't been used yet? you're losing your burst)

Second: Slate blue is a deal-breaking color? Isn't that like a grey-blue? Not like it's friggen purple or green or something.

Third: If it looks bad, put your flatscreen with your PS3 and Uncharted 2 in the entryway and nobody will notice the carpet. BOOM!

Also, they say bake cookies during the open house, I say cook bacon. H to the E to the double L yes!

Now this post ROCKS!!!!:rockon:

Fried Meat Ball!
09-11-2011, 07:40 AM

My realtor always told me when people were coming by, and I always put my bread maker on a timer for about 45 minutes before their arrival. The smell was awesome and the psych folks will say those kinds of smells make people think "home". I sold AND closed four weeks after listing.

petegz28
09-11-2011, 07:54 AM

You could always consider a "carpet consolation" meaning you will knock the price down X$'s if they don't like the carpet.

Demonpenz
09-11-2011, 08:05 AM
the older you get the more enjoyment/distraction/entertainment you get out of home improvement.

Iowanian
09-11-2011, 08:06 AM
A woman will decide if she's "not" interested in a house within the first minute.

I'd guess it has to do with first impressions and it won't be that expensive.

My first house was on the market, barely drawing any showings. I put new shutters and some new vinyl white railings around the front porch and sold it within 10 days. In short, spending another $600 than I hadn't intended made quite a difference in the amount of time I owned 2 homes.

Groves
09-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Tie a stunning white pony to the stair-rail. Everyone likes ponies, and they'll never notice the carpet. GARE-AND-TEED.

Rain Man
09-11-2011, 08:57 AM

Cook bacon, play Stairway to Heaven on the stereo, and have hot fudge sundaes waiting on the counter. We have statistically proven that it is a guaranteed winning combination.

vailpass
09-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Interesting time to choose to sell. You must be in a market that never got high so never went low.

Rausch
09-11-2011, 10:10 AM

NO, but I also fucking despise split foyers.

Your house may be more open and not a split but it sounds that way.

And $3it like carpet and paint is a given. No matter what you put in there the buyer will always change it to what they like...

Frankie
09-11-2011, 10:29 AM
House buying - What is your deal killer?

I never purchase a house unless it comes with a French Maid in a skimpy dress.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2011, 10:35 AM
NO, but I also ****ing despise split foyers.

And $3it like carpet and paint is a given. No matter what you put in there the buyer will always change it to what they like...

Im assuming Guru lives in the KC area? But ive noticed the split level house is very popular in the midwest.

KChiefs1
09-11-2011, 12:02 PM
NO, but I also ****ing despise split foyers.

What is it about split foyers that people hate? My wife is the same way & she won't even consider one as our next place.