PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game

gblowfish
09-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Ten Things About Today's Game

10. The last two nights I stayed up very late. Friday night watching Mizzou lose in OT to ASU, last night I stayed up and watched the specials on 9-11 and flight 93. It was a disaster fest. I didn't think I'd get the trifecta today. I'm very superstitious. I've had my game day coffee out of the same Chiefs Coffee Mug since 1981. I have lucky red shoes I wear for special games. Today I wore a Chiefs pin that belonged to my dad. The weather was perfect. The tailgate was wonderful. The beer was cold. But nothing worked. I think it might be a 9-11 thing. When the Chiefs hosted the NY Giants in the first game after 9-11 ten years ago, the Chiefs totally stunk it up on offense and lost to NY 13-3. Today was the worst opening home loss ever. Not even close.

9. I took my camera and took a bunch of pictures before the game. I'll attach a few, especially of the big flag. The 9-11 ceremony was nice. The cheerleaders bent over a lot. The crowd was loud, but I have to tell you, I think Arrowhead has really suffered since the renovation. People say Mile High was ruined when it was renovated, Arrowhead has lost a lot of its power. The rich bastard seats are always less than half full, upstairs in the cheap seats was maybe 2/3rds full. Maybe the economy is finally catching up with the NFL, or people are content to stay home and watch in the man cave. I left today with nine minutes left in the fourth quarter, and I never leave early. I could see no reason to stay at 41-7. It looked like the fifth pre-season game, and was beyond disappointing.

8. Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Coaching. I can't say anything good about any of those four phases. On special teams, when you fumble the opening kickoff and give the opponent seven points right out of the gate, that's as bad as it gets. Our all-pro back Charles gains less than 60 yards. Charles get zero carries in the third quarter when we're down 20-7. Why? "The Illusive" Thomas Jones had two carries for three yards. One of our big free agents McClain doesn't even touch the ball. Cassel is wild and throwing all over the yard in the first half. Players can't get any YAC when the ball is thrown behind them, or low, or high. His passer rating was 61 today. Not good. McCluster got the most passes, but no receiver could gain over 30 yards. Breaston had 26 yards, McCluster 25 yards, Pope 24 yards. Only two passes to Bowe. Getting shut out in the second half was extremely disappointing, and worrisome.

7. Defense: Where to start? The front wall: Dorsey, Gregg, Jackson, had three tackles, and those all went to Dorsey. Nada for Gregg. Nada for Jackson. And Buffalo broke several long runs over Dorsey's side. No push, no pressure, no results. LInebackers: Hali had one sack, nothing from DJ, nothing from Belcher, nothing from Studebaker and Houston got torched on pass coverage over and over and over. Sheffield played decent, but nobody forced a turnover.

6. The defensive secondary was especially bad today. Once Berry got hurt, we couldn't stop any pass play. The second time Berry came off hurt, they took him over to the training table and the trainers worked his knee around. Berry kept shaking his head no....no.... like there's no way I can play on it. McGraw is slow, and this Piscitelli guy is awful, just awful. He was getting screamed at by Romeo, by the special teams coach, he apparently made mistake after mistake in coverage and placement. Lewis played poorly too, missed tackles, late on coverage,etc. Only way the Chiefs could have won today would have been to shut Buffalo down in the second half. Giving up 21 points was one point worse than the first half. How many times can I say "disappointing?"

5. Special Teams killed this team all day. Fumble the opening kickoff. Then have holding penalty when you get the ball back. Colquitt was out-punted by Moorman by ten yards per punt. Succop misses his only field goal attempt. No help from special teams on field position all day long. Just made a bad day worse.

4. Coaching: Haley seems to stick to the plan in the first half. He seemed to let Bill Muir call the plays. No real adjustments seemed to be made in the third quarter. And in the third quarter, they luck out, get a false start and delay of game back to back to push Buffalo back to third and goal from the eleven, and give up a wide open pass over the middle for seven. This team today looked like a Herm team at its worst. Unprepared, lackluster and outplayed in every phase of the game. And what the HELL is Cassel still doing in the game in a fourth quarter blowout with cracked ribs? Losing the opener is bad, but getting your starting QB killed would have been even worse. Why risk it? Let Palko get pounded instead. Palko should have been in right after it went 41-7.

3. We really had no impact from any of our offseason moves today. No rookie made a play. Of course Baldwin is out, but I don't think Hudson even played. Breaston had a couple catches, nothing major. Gregg did nothing. McClain nothing. I can't really say anybody played well today, except for maybe Pope and Hali.

2. Detroit won today, right now Minnesota is beating San Diego. Things are not going to get any easier. My "official" prediction on this year was 7-9 because of the first place schedule. Now I'm afraid we might be in the Luck Derby with Indy. It's hard to be very optimistic after a performance like this. Seems like the only thing the Chiefs have been able to generate is injuries. The fans were really out of the game after about five minutes into the game. Last year the Chiefs were 7-1 at home. This year, we'll be lucky to win a couple at home.

1. I know 9-11 was on a lot of people's minds today. This was a hard day for me personally. My dad, Ken, passed away back in January, four days after the playoff loss to Baltimore. For the past twenty years, he was retired down in Arkansas, and I taped the Chiefs game for him every week, mailed it to him on VHS or on DVD- and we'd make our game picks every week in a "picking poohbah" contest. This is the first time ever I went to a Chiefs game before talking to him, and having him tell me "to bring home a winner." I miss him more than words can say, and there was a big hole in my heart this morning getting ready to go to Arrowhead. It may never be the same for me. His name is on one of the bricks in the Founder's Plaza. It disappointed me greatly that the team played the way they did today, but to be honest, I never really felt into it today because of the sadness of the day.I try to remember that this is what I do for fun, and try not to get too low when we lose.

Hopefully things will get better. Nowhere to go but up.

Count Zarth
09-11-2011, 04:12 PM
You have to suck hard to get Romeo Crennel to scream at you.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2011, 04:15 PM
As always, thanks George. The whole organization was awful today, from clark on down to the team trainer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Count Zarth
09-11-2011, 04:16 PM
George, you're going to have to add Cassel to your hall of shame pretty soon.

http://georgeblowfish.com/chiefspage6.html

Speaking of which, Herm needs to be on there.

angelo
09-11-2011, 04:18 PM
But, we got 2 interceptions?

From Fox Sports

INTERCEPTIONS NO YDS AVG TD
Brandon Flowers 1 0 0 0
Matt Cassel 1 0 0

Ang

Demonpenz
09-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks Gblowfish. Hope the rest of the day goes better.

cabletech94
09-11-2011, 04:19 PM
great post, SIR.
game did remind me of the old herm teams.
as you said: nowhere to go but up.

Bwana
09-11-2011, 04:19 PM
As always, great post game thread George. On a side note, I'm very sorry to hear about your father.

Phobia
09-11-2011, 04:23 PM
But, the best drum corps in the entire NFL...

Delano
09-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah George, I feel your last 'thing.' Lost my grandpa February, 2011 - Sunday was always a day for me and him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6
09-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Berrys hurt, the offensive star is Pope...

This things unraveling faster than Dollar General t-shirt.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2011, 04:27 PM
So George, no good Haley stories today? No finger flipping? I'm disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device

gblowfish
09-11-2011, 04:31 PM
So George, no good Haley stories today? No finger flipping? I'm disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Before the game, he ran down the stairs right below me. I yelled "Good Luck Coach" but he never looks up in the stands now. I think somebody had a come to Jesus meeting with him. Pic from today attached:

ThatRaceCardGuy
09-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Nice post , always appreciate your insight on things.

Simply Red
09-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Berrys hurt, the offensive star is Pope...

This things unraveling faster than Dollar General t-shirt.

Yeah - Dollar General wins more as an organization vs. the Chiefs, actually.

lcarus
09-11-2011, 04:35 PM
I never thought I'd miss Shaun Smith and Ron Edwards so much. I was so high on the Gregg signing...but now I just don't know.

Easy 6
09-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I never thought I'd miss Shaun Smith and Ron Edwards so much. I was so high on the Gregg signing...but now I just don't know.

Gregg was CONSTANTLY shoved off the line, he's built like a fireplug but sure didnt play like one.

Extra Point
09-11-2011, 04:43 PM
STH: We want to eliminate it, in your life time.

GloryDayz
09-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Great job. Sorry you were forced by there performance to feel like going home that early. Sad to know the coaches, players and staff will just mark it up as a loss and not see it for what it really was, an abortion.

Sorry to hear about your dad too...

gblowfish
09-11-2011, 04:45 PM
They said Cassel averaged 3.3 yards per pass completion today. That's hard to do.
All I can figure is they were so scared he's hurt his ribs worse, that they'd only let him throw dink and dunk today.

gblowfish
09-11-2011, 04:47 PM
But, the best drum corps in the entire NFL...

My wife was in the KSU band and said these guys pound sand. She said the KSU drum line make these guys look lame. I believe her.

O.city
09-11-2011, 04:48 PM
I don't think so. After the 3 and 13 play that Bowe dropped over the middle when it looked like Breaston was open deep, when Cassel came to the sideline, Zorn jumped his ass and they were going after each other pretty hardcore.

Easy 6
09-11-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't think so. After the 3 and 13 play that Bowe dropped over the middle when it looked like Breaston was open deep, when Cassel came to the sideline, Zorn jumped his ass and they were going after each other pretty hardcore.

MY ARM COULDNT HAVE GOTTEN IT THERE COACH, IT WOULDA BEEN A PICK!

Phobia
09-11-2011, 04:50 PM
My wife was in the KSU band and said these guys pound sand. She said the KSU drum line make these guys look lame. I believe her.

It's total crap. The hype is laughable. It's the only drum corps in the NFL. No other NFL team would be lame enough to hire and pimp them during a game.

TEX
09-11-2011, 04:55 PM
The Chiefs look EXACTLY like they did in preseason. They were not ready to play today and that is all on the coaching and the stupid approach they took to preseason. Idiots.

lcarus
09-11-2011, 04:57 PM
The Chiefs look EXACTLY like they did in preseason. They were not ready to play today and that is all on the coaching and the stupid approach they took to preseason. Idiots.

I was a little concerned during the awful preseason, but it's just too hard to judge with absolute certainty. Now...I know. This team stinks. Especially without Berry.

O.city
09-11-2011, 04:57 PM

This is exactly what I told my wife at halftime. They were totally outplayed all game. They were physical ever. We just weren't ready to play football at all.

O.city
09-11-2011, 04:58 PM
I guarantee you I won't spend another dollar at Arrowhead this year.

Blick
09-11-2011, 04:59 PM
The D-line really concerns me. We needed Shaun Smith back. Gregg is old...he would be nice as a rotational guy, but having to rely on him as our #1 option is not good.

Same thing with Jackson. Having to rely on him to be a starter for a whole season is scary.

Jackson and Dorsey are both under 300 pounds, which I don't like. We need to be bigger up front.

Same thing with the offensive line. Wiegmann and Lilja are too small. We got pushed around on both sides.

I really wish Romeo would blitz more. 3 and 4 man rushes don't do us any good. Houston in coverage doesn't do us any good. Running twists and shit up the middle doesn't do us any good. Buffalo's tackles are horrendous, but we didn't try to exploit them.

We looked like complete dog shit. My dad was ready to leave with about 3 or 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. I said, "if the offense goes 3 and out here again, we can go." Sure enough, they did, and we left.

The crowd was sad. There was nothing to get excited about.

Munson
09-11-2011, 05:00 PM
No matter how sh*tty we play, I always enjoy reading "Ten Things" from gblowfish. Its better than the drivel put out by the KC Star.

O.city
09-11-2011, 05:01 PM
For the first time in my life it was actually embarrasing to be at Arrowhead.

Deberg_1990
09-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I think Arrowhead has really suffered since the renovation. People say Mile High was ruined when it was renovated, Arrowhead has lost a lot of its power. The rich bastard seats are always less than half full, upstairs in the cheap seats was maybe 2/3rds full. Maybe the economy is finally catching up with the NFL, or people are content to stay home and watch in the man cave.

Im not sure its ever going to be like the 90's again no matter how good the team is. We have had this conversation on here ad nasuem lately, but the NFL just makes it too good to leave the comfort of your living room these days.

8 bucks for a beer, 25 for parking, fighting the traffic and crowds. etc.....vs sitting at home in your easy chair, watching on your 60" in HD, while you surf the web checking your fantasy updates......Hmmm....tough decision...

TEX
09-11-2011, 05:05 PM
This is exactly what I told my wife at halftime. They were totally outplayed all game. They were physical ever. We just weren't ready to play football at all.

Yep. And ther deal is it appears the off season moves are not going to improve the team one bit, but hey - the coaches know more and we're all idiots for questioning them...:hmmm:

TEX
09-11-2011, 05:07 PM
For the first time in my life it was actually embarrasing to be at Arrowhead.

This.
It was by far the WORST loss in a great while at home and easily the worst defeat of the day today by any team. It's the kind of loss that can define a team's season. They were not even competitive.

tk13
09-11-2011, 05:11 PM
This.
It was by far the WORST loss in a great while at home and easily the worst defeat of the day today by any team. It's the kind of loss that can define a team's season. They were not even competitive.

That might be a bit overdramatic. It will definitely look uglier on a sheet of paper, but I think we have a better chance to recover from today than Indy will. The air just got let out of their balloon. Pittsburgh also turned the ball over 7 times today.

O.city
09-11-2011, 05:16 PM
I am to the point that I don't really care how it happens, we have to get a franchise quarterback. Go 0-16 I don't care how. I just hope if we get in the position to get one Pioli doesn't screw it up or something. He needs to be put in a position where it is forced to happen.

KurtCobain
09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I blame the fucking crowd for the whole thing. Chiefs Fans are just pathetic now.

Mojo Jojo
09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
It's total crap. The hype is laughable. It's the only drum corps in the NFL. No other NFL team would be lame enough to hire and pimp them during a game.

I've seen several of the drum corps in the NFL, and yes most teams have them...Chiefs are average at best on a good day.

GloryDayz
09-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I guarantee you I won't spend another dollar at Arrowhead this year.

That's the one and ONLY thing the Hunt family understands. So they'll either force the team to get better or move... It's a game of chicken I'm willing to play anymore... But here in KC, unlike so many other cities, there aren't that many great things to do on a Sunday (and the Hunts know that), so I think it'll take a LONG time for it to actually happen. But the economy might help my cause...

Just my opinion...

Coogs
09-11-2011, 05:30 PM
That might be a bit overdramatic. It will definitely look uglier on a sheet of paper, but I think we have a better chance to recover from today than Indy will. The air just got let out of their balloon. Pittsburgh also turned the ball over 7 times today.

Indy and Carolina's perfoormance today should be all the proof anyone needs as to what a QB can mean to a team. We have a lot of talent on this team. Imagine what Luck could do with this right out of the gate.

GloryDayz
09-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Im not sure its ever going to be like the 90's again no matter how good the team is. We have had this conversation on here ad nasuem lately, but the NFL just makes it too good to leave the comfort of your living room these days.

8 bucks for a beer, 25 for parking, fighting the traffic and crowds. etc.....vs sitting at home in your easy chair, watching on your 60" in HD, while you surf the web checking your fantasy updates......Hmmm....tough decision...

I'd go to every game if I thought it was worth the price of admission. The tailgates are always epic, but the games are just to much to deal with anymore..

mikey23545
09-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your dad, George...and I definitely know how you're feeling.

Just a few days ago we lost my Uncle Larry, whom I loved dearly. He had always been a great Chiefs fan, and years ago treated my wife and I by flying us to KC and getting us seats for a Chiefs game at Arrowhead, the first time I ever saw the Chiefs play live (though I am a lifelong Chiefs fan, I have always lived in Florida and watched them from afar). It was against - you guessed it - Buffalo. Buffalo ruined that very special day when friggin' Rob Johnson scrambled for a TD late in the fourth quarter and the Bills won 21-17.

I thought that surely today karma would set injustice right, and the Chiefs would blast Buffalo from the plains.

I already miss you very much Uncle Larry, and I'm sorry these worthless-ass Chiefs put on such a putrid display on a day I was already filled with heartache.

Chiefnj2
09-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Bad form on KC fans chanting "Chiefs" at the end of the national anthem. Shouldn't have done it on the 10 year anniversary. Bad Karma to start the day. The football gods were angered.

TEX
09-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Difference was we were at HOME, the Steelers, Colts, Falcons, etc were playing on the raod. No, I'd say is looks pretty darn ugly any way you look at it and was by far the worst lost of the opening day by any team. Furthermore it was the worst oopening day loss in Chiefs History. Care to change your "overdramatic" opinion? If not, we'll just disagree.

Extra Point
09-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Bad form on KC fans chanting "Chiefs" at the end of the national anthem. Shouldn't have done it on the 10 year anniversary. Bad Karma to start the day. The football gods were angered.

It's a stupid thing to do, from day one. Neg rep me, all you want. I chanted it, once, then, reflected upon my stupidity for doing so.

Men didn't die for this country, nor for this franchise. Those who died during their activity with/after their time with the team, I don't think, would have wanted it that way:

Jim Tyrer
Mack Lee Hill
Joe Delaney
Derrick Thomas
and the list goes on.

Ask Len Dawson what he thinks about it.

Chiefnj2
09-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Chandler is the new Heap.

mnchiefsguy
09-11-2011, 06:06 PM
All facets of the game stunk today. No sugar coating it. This team played way beneath its talent level, and the coaches underperformed as well. Everyone needs to go back to the drawing board, work hard, and come out better next week. I hope they will.

Mojo Jojo
09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
It's a stupid thing to do, from day one. Neg rep me, all you want. I chanted it, once, then, reflected upon my stupidity for doing so.

Men didn't die for this country, nor for this franchise. Those who died during their activity with/after their time with the team, I don't think, would have wanted it that way:

Jim Tyrer
Mack Lee Hill
Joe Delaney
Derrick Thomas
and the list goes on.

Ask Len Dawson what he thinks about it.

You forgot Stone Johnson.

burt
09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
As usual, thank you Gb.

Bugeater
09-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Good grief. :shake:

Buehler445
09-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Good work George, at least something good came from this shit ass day.

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

I know I'm not at all prepared to lose my dad.

Chiefnj2
09-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Good grief. :shake:

Eat shit. It was disrespectful.

Dayze
09-11-2011, 08:09 PM

it would be if the public observed the national anthem more than just at sporting events.

GMAFB.

Coogs
09-11-2011, 08:15 PM
All facets of the game stunk today. No sugar coating it. This team played way beneath its talent level, and the coaches underperformed as well. Everyone needs to go back to the drawing board, work hard, and come out better next week. I hope they will.

I expect the whole atmosphere at Detroit to be electric next Sunday. Much like it was at Arrowhead last year on opening night. We definately will have our hands full, and if we are not careful with their weapons on offense, and their defensive line putting pressure on Cassel if we are forced to pass... this one could get ugly too!

Lots of work to do this week.

MIAdragon
09-11-2011, 08:17 PM

dont forget the movies, they need to go to the movies.

KCrockaholic
I'm kinda excited for Lions fans. They are about to win 6 games in a row. The Lions are on the rise. Packers Vs Lions matchups will be fun to watch.

KCrockaholic
dont forget the movies, they need to go to the movies.

That's probably the problem. I don't remember hearing about them going this year?

Bugeater
09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
You're entitled to your opinion but to imply that it somehow had an effect on the game is fucking retarded.

MIAdragon
09-11-2011, 08:21 PM
That's probably the problem. I don't remember hearing about them going this year?

They went, it was after one of our "non mattering" pre-season ass poundings.

KurtCobain
09-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm kinda excited for Lions fans. They are about to win 6 games in a row. The Lions are on the rise. Packers Vs Lions matchups will be fun to watch.

I wish people would stop sucking them off. I guarantee we win next week.

Dayze
09-11-2011, 08:23 PM

based on what? JFC.

loochy
09-11-2011, 08:31 PM
based on what? JFC.

Based on the fact that football often doesn't make sense and teams are schizophrenic and change from week to week whit no good reason.

BryanBusby
09-11-2011, 08:33 PM

Suh is going to murder every activated QB next week with the offensive coordinator with no shoulders weak ass offensive gameplan.

gblowfish
09-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Chiefs have not been very good on the road under Haley.

Oh Snap
09-11-2011, 08:57 PM
cassel is horrible. Ive tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. But he is srsly on thin ice with me.

im really getting tired of seeing the dink and dunk passes on 3rd and 10...where cassel throws a 2 yard pass when we're needing atleast 10. That is getting old. Passes sailed over recievers today. On that on particular play, after popes TD was called back, I cant remember who the reciever was, but he was wide open, yet it seems cassel never even looked his way. Would have been an easy TD, and would have instantly put us at a manigable 14-7 at that time. The OL looked decent today, so no excuses there.

Hydrae
09-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Easily the most pessimistic Ten things I have ever read. That alone is telling to me.

Sigh, at least I have fantasy football to keep me interested in NFL games.

boogblaster
09-11-2011, 09:24 PM
good read ... sorry bout ya loss ....

chief52
09-11-2011, 09:25 PM

Wow...so all of a sudden the Lions are and equal to the Packers??? Think maybe they have a little to prove before that happens.

gblowfish
09-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Easily the most pessimistic Ten things I have ever read.

Easily the worst home opening day evah. Even the TD pass to Charles was nearly deflected by the Buffalo defender. It was a lucky catch. I'm all out of turd polish after pre-season.