PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs lose Berry, struggle on defense

Tribal Warfare
09-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Chiefs lose Berry, struggle on defense (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/11/3136384/chiefs-lose-berry-fall-flat-on.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Not long after the Chiefs finished one of the most bitter home losses in franchise history, many of the players at the heart of it had scattered. Lockers sat empty, and players made a break for the exits.

The ones who remained had little to say.

“I’m still trying to piece it all together in my mind,” safety Jon McGraw said.

The Chiefs lost 41-7, and their defense was a prime reason why. There was the lack of an effective pass rush, and a secondary that, for one Sunday and perhaps more, went missing in action.

As if the loss itself wasn’t bad enough, second-year safety Eric Berry, one of the team’s most promising defenders, injured his knee and had to be helped off the field.

When the game finally ended, defensive players like cornerback Brandon Flowers were left mostly speechless, searching for ways to explain how a unit with above-average expectations had fallen so flat.

“I can’t tell you exactly what happened,” Flowers said.

Coach Todd Haley said after the game that he didn’t yet know how severe Berry’s injury was, but the Chiefs were concerned Sunday afternoon that it could be serious.

Flowers said losing Berry, a Pro Bowler last year, for an extended period could be devastating to a defense already searching for optimism after such a one-sided affair.

“Eric is like a brother to me,” Flowers said. “… I hope I can get my brother back for this next game.”

The Chiefs’ defense was tested and shell-shocked early, backed into a corner after Dexter McCluster fumbled the opening kickoff at their 26. It didn’t take long for Buffalo to turn that into a touchdown, and by then, the defense was on its heels.

The Bills scored on four of their first six possessions.

If Berry is unable to return next week, the Chiefs could find themselves in a position similar to the one they faced Sunday. With Berry out of the lineup and McGraw and Sabby Piscitelli in at safety while the Chiefs were in their nickel defense, Buffalo coach Chan Gailey opted to attack that weakness.

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick threw downfield often and used runs by Fred Jackson to keep the Chiefs off-balance.

Gailey, fired by Haley shortly before the 2009 regular season began, said it was satisfying to leave Arrowhead with such a one-sided victory.

“It feels good,” Gailey said. “You’re lying if you say it doesn’t. It does. It feels good.”

That left a sour feeling on the home sideline, and more than that, questions on what the Chiefs could possibly do to improve a defense that allowed more points than any other first-week matchup other than the Thursday-night shootout in which Green Bay scored 42 against New Orleans.

Haley said it started with an inability to stop the run — the Bills rushed for 163 yards — and continued with a failure to make tackles. Fundamentals were abandoned, lost in a desperate afternoon against a team that was supposed to be hapless.

“We were bad,” Haley said. “We were bad pretty much from start to finish.”

Sunday was a long day for Kansas City, and it was one the Chiefs would like to forget. Only there are 15 more games on the schedule, and the concern was that Sunday offered one of the more favorable ones on a calendar full of frightening opponents.

After the initial sting wore off in the Chiefs’ locker room, a handful of remaining players tried to muster hope. Next week, they said, would be better.

It had to be, right?

“Everything is fixable,” defensive end Tyson Jackson said.

But this repair job might be more in-depth than most anyone thought.

“It’s hard to put a finger on any one thing,” McGraw said. “We just have to be better.”

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2011, 12:59 AM
JUMP ON THAT LUCK TRAIN PEOPLE!! WOOOHOOOO!

BWillie
09-12-2011, 01:02 AM
“It’s hard to put a finger on any one thing,” McGraw said. “We just have to be better.”

Jon McGraw is well on his way to a broadcasting career with John Madden.

Rausch
09-12-2011, 01:03 AM

Jon McGraw is well on his way to a broadcasting career with John Madden.

We can only hope...

GordonGekko
09-12-2011, 01:03 AM
15 games to go this year, but Luck I think would love the receivers we have in KC

BossChief
09-12-2011, 01:10 AM
I cant wait till Stanzi gets his chance with this team...

nose
09-12-2011, 01:23 AM

^This x11tybillion

Hog Farmer
09-12-2011, 03:51 AM
^This x11tybillion

And that x 90trillion

Tribal Warfare
09-12-2011, 04:09 AM

The way Cassel makes himself a human tackling dummy by either his indecisiveness by holding on to the ball too long or just plain shits his pants when he sees blitzers. Stanzi starting could come sooner than later.

Bob Dole
09-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Bob Dole is surprised Todd didn't just continue to tell us this was all part of The Plan.

Fruit Ninja
09-12-2011, 05:49 AM
lol Haley called a spade a spade. We were ****ing terrrible. It would help if we had a qb that can throw the ball down-field. I was watching the Redskins game today and even Rex ****ing Grossman was connecting on some nice ass down field passes. The only thing i could think of when i seen it happen was, Cassel cant do that. lol

The Bad Guy
09-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Yeah, Stanzi is going to be our savior. Can we find a stud QB for once please?

InChiefsHell
09-12-2011, 06:27 AM
The way Cassel makes himself a human tackling dummy by either his indecisiveness by holding on to the ball too long or just plain shits his pants when he sees blitzers. Stanzi starting could come sooner than later.

Come at me bro. Come at me!

the Talking Can
09-12-2011, 06:28 AM
Fitzpatrick had the highest QBR of the week....espn's new QB rating

TEX
09-12-2011, 07:24 AM
The thing about it is that it was not just a play here or there. The Chiefs were outplayed in every phase of the game. They were totally dominated and had no chance. That is not "fixable" and the guy who said it is, is a big part of the problem. Also, there is no fixing anything when you lose a player like Berry. Nope, the tone has been set for the season. This will be very UGLY...

TEX
09-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Fitzpatrick had the highest QBR of the week....espn's new QB rating

Just like the old days...

InChiefsHell
09-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Just like the old days...

Career Day *efense 2.0...