PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff New Conference re-alignment thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Tactical Funky
09-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the MWC KU and K-State.

:(

Saul Good
09-18-2011, 08:09 PM

I heard on Fescoe's show that Texas has KU's back and wouldn't move to a new conference without Kansas, so there's nothing to worry about.

LiveSteam
09-18-2011, 08:22 PM
If & when things do go BOOM! KSU & KU will head to the Big10
ISU & Baylor have the most to worry about.

jAZ
09-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Sounds like the Pac12 made a deal with the devil just like the BIG 8 did.

Details, details...

As this person explained it later, the agreement is that UT keeps their network in name only. The revenue split will be identical for all schools. Because 1/16th of the the Pac-16's TV deal will be worth more than all the proceeds from the LHN. So all 16 teams will get an even split. That lets UT save face, but get the deal together.

CrazyPhuD
09-18-2011, 08:27 PM

Nah won't happen(at least for KU). Well at least not for BBall. Frankly it wouldn't even be that much of a big deal. KU would go independent at least for BBall. For football who really cares?

Saul Good
09-18-2011, 08:29 PM
KU would go independent at least for BBall.

The fuck? No

ChiefsCountry
09-18-2011, 08:33 PM
PAC-16 Top 40 TV Markets
#2 Los Angeles
#5 Dallas
#6 San Francisco
#10 Houston
#12 Phoenix
#14 Seattle
#18 Denver
#20 Sacramento
#22 Portland
#28 San Diego
#33 Salt Lake City
#37 San Antonio

30% of the Top 40 TV Markets thats not too bad.

CrazyPhuD
09-18-2011, 08:40 PM
The fuck? No

Why not? ANYTHING would be better than going to a completely worthless conference playing completely worthless teams(which describes every non major conference). You don't think KU could easily negotiate a national contract for BBall alone to televise every game with either ESPN or Fox Sports for serious money? Once they the contract in place scheduling is fairly straight forward. If they have the contract set up right then it's merely a case of saying 'For that game we'll split say 40% of revenue' with accelerators for name programs or top 25 teams. This isn't rocket science. KU has a national BB brand why wouldn't they leverage it rather than play for a complete shit conference?

Saul Good
09-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Why not? ANYTHING would be better than going to a completely worthless conference playing completely worthless teams(which describes every non major conference). You don't think KU could easily negotiate a national contract for BBall alone to televise every game with either ESPN or Fox Sports for serious money? Once they the contract in place scheduling is fairly straight forward. If they have the contract set up right then it's merely a case of saying 'For that game we'll split say 40% of revenue' with accelerators for name programs or top 25 teams. This isn't rocket science. KU has a national BB brand why wouldn't they leverage it rather than play for a complete shit conference?

You're insane. There's a reason that there are no basketball independents. How are you going to schedule 30+ games when every other team in the country is playing conference games the second half of the season?

|Zach|
09-18-2011, 08:45 PM
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zyBFeT-jGgo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach|
09-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Nah won't happen(at least for KU). Well at least not for BBall. Frankly it wouldn't even be that much of a big deal. KU would go independent at least for BBall. For football who really cares?

lol, what?

kchero
09-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Details, details...

As this person explained it later, the agreement is that UT keeps their network in name only. The revenue split will be identical for all schools. Because 1/16th of the the Pac-16's TV deal will be worth more than all the proceeds from the LHN. So all 16 teams will get an even split. That lets UT save face, but get the deal together.

For the stability of your new conference I hope your right, but I wouldn't trust Texas. Even if the LHN gets assimilated into the Pac 16 down the road Texas will find a way to take a hold of the drivers seat.

DeezNutz
09-18-2011, 08:47 PM
You're insane. There's a reason that there are no basketball independents. How are you going to schedule 30+ games when every other team in the country is playing conference games the second half of the season?

You join the MWC, but just call yourself an "independent."

We've decided to play these teams; best preparation for the tournament.

Saul Good
09-18-2011, 08:48 PM
lol, what?

It's easy. They will just have quality teams from power conferences take a break from their conference seasons fly to Lawrence in late February. It makes perfect sense.

DJ's left nut
09-18-2011, 08:50 PM
So our 'soft landing spot' in the Big East is hemorrhaging schools, eh?

Mizzou is very very fucked.

Nicely done, fellas.

|Zach|
09-18-2011, 08:51 PM

Mizzou is very very ****ed.

Nicely done, fellas.

http://files.sharenator.com/oh_you_Funny_Pics_Folder-s447x335-142815-580.jpg

DeezNutz
09-18-2011, 08:52 PM

Nicely done, fellas.

Relax. BD said that he had a lot of confidence in the future of the Big 12, so we should be good.

jAZ
09-18-2011, 08:53 PM
For the stability of your new conference I hope your right, but I wouldn't trust Texas. Even if the LHN gets assimilated into the Pac 16 down the road Texas will find a way to take a hold of the drivers seat.
You are assuming that the Pac-12 minus Texas was inherently as weak as the Big-12 was minus Texas. They weren't. Not even close.

Pac-10 owns all of the western US TV Markets.

LA, San Diego, SF, Seattle, Sacramento, Portland, Phoenix, Colorado, SLC

Texas has no leverage to demand much of anything. Their departure from the Pac-16 won't destroy the conference like it would the Big-12.

It's not like UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, ASU, UA, Washington, Oregon are going to join the Mountain West.

Saul Good
09-18-2011, 08:53 PM

Mizzou is very very fucked.

Nicely done, fellas.

How is Mizzou fucked?

tk13
09-18-2011, 08:54 PM

Nicely done, fellas.

I be no expert in these here matters, but if I were the Mizzou folk I'd get my begging shoes on and I'd be calling everyone in the SEC 5 minutes ago.

"We have more teeth than those West Virginia fellers, take us, take us."

I wouldn't wait around for a Big 10 invite, even if it's a better fit. It's pure speculation but I still wouldn't rule out some kind of Big 12/Big East merger, but will that conference get to be a BCS Superconference, or will it just be a basketball conference that happens to play some football.

WilliamTheIrish
09-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Good luck fellas... It was fun while it lasted.

Brianfo
09-18-2011, 08:56 PM
The whole Oklahoma to the Pac is just a ploy to get some control from Texas. Texas to the ACC is their bluff back to Oklahoma. Both teams are going to end up staying. There will be equal revenue sharing on at least the first two tier contracts. Most likely adding three BigE schools now even though just BYU has seemed the most likely until the BigE getting blown up yesterday. There is way too much money tied up in the Big12 right now, not to mention the exit fees schools are going to get from aTm. If Texas and Oklahoma do leave its going to activate the death pill clause and they will be on the hook for 70million that I don't think they want to pay the remaining Big12 schools. They are going to sign their new tier one contract in a few years and be making straight cash. Thats what its all about, Big12 isn't going anywhere.

Your and idiot X2. Big 12 is defunct. Quit spewing worthless shit.

kchero
09-18-2011, 08:56 PM
This clip has been applied throughout the threads on here, but I feel that it is applicable to the teams that are currently on the outside looking in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dsx2vdn7gpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut
09-18-2011, 08:57 PM
How is Mizzou fucked?

The B1G isn't expanding - it just isn't.

The rumors are that the SEC is looking towards VA for their 14th.

The Big East is just another dying conference.

The ACC...jesus, really? That's our new home?

The music looks like it's really close to stopping and if this thing stays like it is - MU is homeless next year. It really only takes 1 season in limbo like that to do a decade worth of damage to your prestige, recruiting, etc...

MU's in bad bad shape if something doesn't come together very soon and I have absolutely zero faith in our leadership at this point.

LiveSteam
09-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Your and idiot X2. Big 12 is defunct. Quit spewing worthless shit.

LMAO

|Zach|
09-18-2011, 08:58 PM
If UCONN gets ACC bid, then there are 8 spots left for survival: ACC (1) SEC (3) Big 10 (4)...if you arent in that group, you are in trouble.

|Zach|
09-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Heh.

kchero
09-18-2011, 09:00 PM
You are assuming that the Pac-12 minus Texas was inherently as weak as the Big-12 was minus Texas. They weren't. Not even close.

Pac-10 owns all of the western US TV Markets.

LA, San Diego, SF, Seattle, Sacramento, Portland, Phoenix, Colorado, SLC

Texas has no leverage to demand much of anything. Their departure from the Pac-16 won't destroy the conference like it would the Big-12.

It's not like UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, ASU, UA, Washington, Oregon are going to join the Mountain West.

Thanks for the geography lesson on what cities are on the western side of the states. I still stand by my comments. Like I said I hope I am wrong for the sake of your conference, but do not presume so easily that you will not have drama with Texas in your conference down the road.

DeezNutz
09-18-2011, 09:01 PM
I be no expert in these here matters, but if I were the Mizzou folk I'd get my begging shoes on and I'd be calling everyone in the SEC 5 minutes ago.

"We have more teeth than those West Virginia fellers, take us, take us."

I wouldn't wait around for a Big 10 invite, even if it's a better fit. It's pure speculation but I still wouldn't rule out some kind of Big 12/Big East merger, but will that conference get to be a BCS Superconference, or will it just be a basketball conference that happens to play some football.

I would look for this to be a near certainty due to necessity.

KC_Connection
09-18-2011, 09:01 PM
KU never should have gotten rid of Lew Perkins. Or Mark Mangino...but that's a different thread.

Mr_Tomahawk
09-18-2011, 09:02 PM
I would love to see KU in the Big10 as that makes most sense from a regional standpoint IMO. Would be great to see KSU, KU, and MU all in the Big10 together.

However, I haven't been following this drama THAT closely so I am not sure how realistic that is...

Chocolate Hog
Good luck fellas... It was fun while it lasted.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2UdJIO6LyY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut
If UCONN gets ACC bid, then there are 8 spots left for survival: ACC (1) SEC (3) Big 10 (4)...if you arent in that group, you are in trouble.

WTF makes anyone think that there are 4 slots in the B1G?

They've shown precisely zero interest in expanding.

And again - the XII is done next season. For MU to have a home next year, they need a conference that's looking to expand immediately. It sure looks like that's not the B1G. And it also looks like the SEC isn't interesting in going to 16 in the near future either.

There appears to be a very good chance that MU is playing an indy schedule next season and that will absolutely cripple them going forward.

Chocolate Hog
I would love to see KU in the Big10 as that makes most sense from a regional standpoint IMO. Would be great to see KSU, KU, and MU all in the Big10 together.

However, I haven't been following this drama THAT closely so I am not sure how realistic that is...

We don't want your lame ass fan base in our conference.

Chocolate Hog
09-18-2011, 09:03 PM
WTF makes anyone think that there are 4 slots in the B1G?

They've shown precisely zero interest in expanding.

And again - the XII is done next season. For MU to have a home next year, they need a conference that's looking to expand immediately. It sure looks like that's not the B1G. And it also looks like the SEC isn't interesting in going to 16 in the near future either.

There appears to be a very good chance that MU is playing an indy schedule next season and that will absolutely cripple them going forward.

I think they would expand if it lands them Notre Dame.

|Zach|
09-18-2011, 09:03 PM
zero interest in expanding.

Signed, Larry Scott (not that long ago)

LiveSteam
09-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Heh.

He doesn't know shit. Big 10 hasnt said know to anything or anyone since they said no to Missouri
Big 10 is just sitting like all of us & waiting to see what,& if anything happens.
If expansion is the best move at that time for the Big 10. IMO KSU & KU are no brainers out of the big 12

|Zach|
09-18-2011, 09:09 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/Andy_Staples Interesting stuff.

Chocolate Hog
09-18-2011, 09:11 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/Andy_Staples Interesting stuff.

Texas & OU to the B1G Ten? Interesting.

BigRedChief
09-18-2011, 09:11 PM
ESPN crawl:
Austin newspaper........ Oaklahoma, Okie State, Texas and Texas Tech to join Pac 12. Announcement as soon as Monday.

LiveSteam
09-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Best comment
Andy_Staples Andy Staples
@
@BoldSlugger @BrendanPrunty The other thing is it has to be frustrating for fans. So much misinformation. Everyone in the dark.

Saul Good
09-18-2011, 09:16 PM

The rumors are that the SEC is looking towards VA for their 14th.

The Big East is just another dying conference.

The ACC...jesus, really? That's our new home?

The music looks like it's really close to stopping and if this thing stays like it is - MU is homeless next year. It really only takes 1 season in limbo like that to do a decade worth of damage to your prestige, recruiting, etc...

MU's in bad bad shape if something doesn't come together very soon and I have absolutely zero faith in our leadership at this point.

The SEC isn't looking at VA. They're looking at WV, and they aren't going to stop at 14. That number doesn't work well for conferences. In the end, I think the SEC adds WV, Mizzou, and someone from the Big East (likely Louisville or Cincy if they don't mind city schools).

The Big East is on life support, and ND may decide that they need a new home. That could lead to them landing in the B1G.

The B1G either moves to 16 early, or they get forced to get last pick in the future if they ever do expand. I don't think they want to be at 12 when the ACC, PAC, and SEC are all at 16.

RustShack
09-18-2011, 09:23 PM
If everyone goes to 16 the B1G will end up doing it too. They said they weren't going to start it, but they will follow if other conferences start. But if the SEC stays at 14(assuming they add WVU), and B1G stays at 12, theres still room for a fifth BCS conference.

DJ's left nut
09-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Signed, Larry Scott (not that long ago)

Do you think they're that good at leak control?

In fairness, I should say they've shown zero interest in an expansion that includes MU.

The smoke has included Texas and ND, but that's it. And outside of the 'superschools', you simply don't hear any rumors at all out of the B1G.

I refuse to believe they simply have that conference on super-secret lockdown. There are too many people that have an interest in this for something, even rumors, to not slip out if there was legitimate interest.

I think they're just fine with 12. They know they can keep it at 12 and still get invited to the "Super playoffs" with their Conf. Champion. Hell, they could probably split into 2 6-teamers and still get their division champions invited.

They have no pressing need to expand unless its for ND or Tx. If they felt it, they'd have done it by now.

alnorth
09-18-2011, 09:24 PM
At this point, KU's best chance is probably for ND to decide the Big East is dead and they have no choice but to go to the B1G.

If the Big 10 expands to 16, Kansas has to be on that list due to the sheer lack of alternatives, but if ND is not available, they could stay at 12.

alnorth
09-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Do you think they're that good at leak control?

In fairness, I should say they've shown zero interest in an expansion that includes MU.

The smoke has included Texas and ND, but that's it. And outside of the 'superschools', you simply don't hear any rumors at all out of the B1G.

I refuse to believe they simply have that conference on super-secret lockdown. There are too many people that have an interest in this for something, even rumors, to not slip out if there was legitimate interest.

I think they're just fine with 12. They know they can keep it at 12 and still get invited to the "Super playoffs" with their Conf. Champion. Hell, they could probably split into 2 6-teamers and still get their division champions invited.

They have no pressing need to expand unless its for ND or Tx. If they felt it, they'd have done it by now.

The problem that the B1G has is that by not acting, they may effectively have the choice made for them to never expand. Expanding to 16 may be shut off as an available option for them if they sit out.

alnorth
09-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Here's a cool toy, feel free to play with it and share your prediction.

http://res.dallasnews.com/graphics/2011_09/realignment/

My wild-assed guess as of tonight:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg81/Northjayhawk/RealignmentGuess9-18.png

jAZ
09-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the geography lesson on what cities are on the western side of the states. I still stand by my comments. Like I said I hope I am wrong for the sake of your conference, but do not presume so easily that you will not have drama with Texas in your conference down the road.

Texas won't destroy the Pac-1x conference like they have the Big-12. The revenue from the geographic monopoly that the Pac-1x has is far more powerful than Texas. That wasn't true of the Big-12. Texas has far less leverage with the Pac-1x than it did with the Big-12.

So unless you are agreeing with that fact, you are wrong.

That's not to say that "drama" can't come, but if it does, the Pac-1x has the leverage to show Texas the door. And Utah, Arizona and possibly Colorado aren't giving up the money from the LA, SF and other Cali markets to follow Texas anywhere.

Texas is joining the Pac-1x because it's their best available option. As long as it's mutually beneficial, the Pac-1x will let them in.

tk13
09-18-2011, 09:55 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/sports/ncaafootball/19pac12.html

The New York Times' guy has weighed in. I believe they were the first to officially report A&M's move. He says Texas is not talking to the ACC anymore, the four teams to the Pac 12 will play out over the next 7 to 10 days. According to him Scott has not approached the Pac 12 presidents officially yet, and (no surprise) the Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado all have concerns about the deal. Also, the academic reputation of OU, OSU, and TT.

Suggests Mizzou and the SEC really don't have that much interest in each other, but might do the deed out of necessity so Mizzou isn't left hanging. Also, the Big East and Big 12 leftovers could merge based on what's left.

DeezNutz
09-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Texas won't destroy the Pac-1x conference like they have the Big-12. The revenue from the geographic monopoly that the Pac-1x has is far more powerful than Texas. That wasn't true of the Big-12. Texas has far less leverage with the Pac-1x than it did with the Big-12.

So unless you are agreeing with that fact, you are wrong.

That's not to say that "drama" can't come, but if it does, the Pac-1x has the leverage to show Texas the door. And Utah, Arizona and possibly Colorado aren't giving up the money from the LA, SF and other Cali markets to follow Texas anywhere.

Texas is joining the Pac-1x because it's their best available option. As long as it's mutually beneficial, the Pac-1x will let them in.

Much earlier in the thread, I posed a question about researching funding for state universities. Where does this money come from? State appropriations? Part of the larger tuition pie?

All of this was based on the ruse that academics matter in any of this.

Utah: shit
OU: shit (but a better smelling pile than some of the other shit)
OSU: shit
TT: shit

HolyHandgernade
09-18-2011, 10:29 PM
There was another rumor being floated on the KUSports thread, and maybe some of you K-Staties can weigh in on it, I'll pull it verbatim:

I know I'm going to get blasted but here is the scoop as I've been told. B1G waiting to see what happens w/the B12...Not going to tip their hat. If the B12 emplodes, KU and KSU have spots. Why? Research and local. Been told by a Fed that directs the transition between Plum Island and NBAF that the B1G would take KSU and the $1 bill that goes w/them. The State & Fed knows this and won't let the two seperate and the State will intervene if any other scenario should happen. Another spot is always open to ND and the other will be decided between MU or ISU depending on what should happen.

I know Pac or Bust doesn't like this, but it will be a Bust. The B1G has been in contact w/KSU and there is already a plan in place to satisfy the acedemics over a period and the arangement that we go w/them. It's either ND, MU, or ISU that's going too. I understand that it isn't so, until it happens, but just want you to know that you heard it here first. Freakin' Awsome, but I do hope the B12 stays.

So, has anyone heard anything about that angle. If it is true, it could explain why MU has hardly made a peep about realignment, really ditto for KU and KSU as well. Of course, that same silence could be explained by an absolute helpless feeling as well!

DeezNutz
09-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Research and local? Local what? LMAO. Please want us, please want us, please want us.

At this point, boys, all of the major three local schools are in some trouble.

LiveSteam
09-18-2011, 10:36 PM
When Tom Osborne talks the Big 10 listens. KU & KSU should kiss his feet

RustShack
09-18-2011, 10:36 PM
There was another rumor being floated on the KUSports thread, and maybe some of you K-Staties can weigh in on it, I'll pull it verbatim:

So, has anyone heard anything about that angle. If it is true, it could explain why MU has hardly made a peep about realignment, really ditto for KU and KSU as well. Of course, that same silence could be explained by an absolute helpless feeling as well!

A few days ago I was hearing a lot of Texas, ND, ISU, and Mizzou to the B1G. But it would be nice if ND still decides to stay out, and ISU, Mizzou, KU, and KSU go instead.

Would Mizzou to the Pac with Texas, Oklahoma, and OSU make any sense?

HolyHandgernade
09-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Research and local? Local what? LMAO. Please want us, please want us, please want us.

At this point, boys, all of the major three local schools are in some trouble.

I think what this poster was trying to say is that the State of Kansas (local) won't let the two schools be separated and the B1G wants to be associated with that billion dollar grant (research) going to KSU.

I don't know the guy, I imagine he is a KSU fan and looking for the KSU saves KU (and possibly MU) angle from conference oblivion. Apparently the grant is a huge animal research project, and since KSU has one of the top veterinarian colleges in the nation, they got the grant.

RustShack
09-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh and blah blah blah I know TV sets are the main thing driving this(even though the B1G hasn't acted that way whatsoever), but ISU is the best fit of any school in this for the B1G in terms of everything they look for and want in a school.

RustShack
09-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I think what this poster was trying to say is that the State of Kansas (local) won't let the two schools be separated and the B1G wants to be associated with that billion dollar grant (research) going to KSU.

I don't know the guy, I imagine he is a KSU fan and looking for the KSU saves KU (and possibly MU) angle from conference oblivion. Apparently the grant is a huge animal research project, and since KSU has one of the top veterinarian colleges in the nation, they got the grant.

Hasn't it already been said several times that KU and KSU don't have to stay together in this?

HolyHandgernade
09-18-2011, 10:42 PM
A few days ago I was hearing a lot of Texas, ND, ISU, and Mizzou to the B1G. But it would be nice if ND still decides to stay out, and ISU, Mizzou, KU, and KSU go instead.

Would Mizzou to the Pac with Texas, Oklahoma, and OSU make any sense?

Most of the PAC chatter about excluding Tech was about replacing them with KU actually. The ideal situation for the PAC was UT-OU-KU-MU, but OU and UT are sticking up for their in state neighbors.

Does this mean the PAC doesn't go through? It could, but it wouldn't necessarily be the saving grace for the Big XII as the SEC would surely try to get involved.

According to this poster (and I am not vouching for any credibility) ISU's best shot is if MU jumps to the SEC.

DeezNutz
09-18-2011, 10:43 PM

I don't believe that KSU is coveted as an academic institution by an "elite" conference for any reason. I know that sounds like I'm blasting KSU, but I'm not. I'd gladly send a child there--good place.

But we have to be realistic about this whole thing, too.

HolyHandgernade
09-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Hasn't it already been said several times that KU and KSU don't have to stay together in this?

That's correct. But, you'll notice that KU hasn't been out actively campaigning itself, neither has MU for that matter.

HolyHandgernade
09-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I don't believe that KSU is coveted as an academic institution by an "elite" conference for any reason. I know that sounds like I'm blasting KSU, but I'm not. I'd gladly send a child there--good place.

But we have to be realistic about this whole thing, too.

I would agree with you, unless this billion dollar grant gives KSU at least the appearance of an AAU university even if it hasn't received the title yet. Remember, the CIC amount the B1G gets is 6 billion a year. I know that's an annual amount, but you can see how large this grant is to KSU.

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Oh and blah blah blah I know TV sets are the main thing driving this(even though the B1G hasn't acted that way whatsoever), but ISU is the best fit of any school in this for the B1G in terms of everything they look for and want in a school.

Please, MU, KU, KSU are all better fits for the B1G than ISU. Of those four, MU is the best fit, and I would put KU a distant second, with KSU and ISU way behind both of them.

alnorth
09-18-2011, 10:49 PM
That's correct. But, you'll notice that KU hasn't been out actively campaigning itself, neither has MU for that matter.

Neither has Syracuse or Pitt. OU and UT can be confident, but for most teams there is no reason to be seen publicly whoring yourself out. Everyone's burning the phone lines in the background.

jAZ
09-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Much earlier in the thread, I posed a question about researching funding for state universities. Where does this money come from? State appropriations? Part of the larger tuition pie?

All of this was based on the ruse that academics matter in any of this.

Utah: shit
OU: shit (but a better smelling pile than some of the other shit)
OSU: shit
TT: shit

No, all of your nonsense was based on the report from my source (who's reports appear to be confirmed by other reporting today) that people in the Pac-1x office had interest in Rice being paired with Texas because of their academic rankings and their presence in Houston.

But you make it into whatever you want. You have no idea what you are talking about.

HolyHandgernade
09-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Neither has Syracuse or Pitt. OU and UT can be confident, but for most teams there is no reason to be seen publicly whoring yourself out. Everyone's burning the phone lines in the background.

Yes, but Syracuse and Pitt had something that KU and KSU didn't: large TV markets. It wasn't likely those two schools were going to be without a spot at the dinner table. They could afford to keep a low profile.

Mosbonian
09-18-2011, 10:54 PM
You know what is really fun......watching how all the speculation has changed so much in this thread.

It would be fun to have some stat geek actually plot the movement of the rumors of each school.

SPchief
Please Please Please Please pick us!

FYP

ChiefsCountry
Please, MU, KU, KSU are all better fits for the B1G than ISU. Of those four, MU is the best fit, and I would put KU a distant second, with KSU and ISU way behind both of them.

Iowa State is way better in academics than Kansas State. Not to mention its a better school than both Kansas and Nebraska. Only Texas, A&M, and Missouri are ahead of Iowa State in the B1G academically.

HolyHandgernade
09-18-2011, 10:55 PM
You know what is really fun......watching how all the speculation has changed so much in this thread.

It would be fun to have some stat geek actually plot the movement of the rumors of each school.

The "Chatter Movement" Graph

Bambi
09-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Lets do this!

RustShack
09-18-2011, 10:56 PM

Do tell. Do you even know what the B1G looks for?

LiveSteam
09-18-2011, 10:57 PM

Not ISU

DeezNutz
But you make it into whatever you want. You have no idea what you are talking about.

You still haven't answered the question I've asked you twice: how are funds for research acquired?

Meanwhile, you're talking in circles and conflating points.

My point about the CIC and the tangible draw for schools affiliated with it stands on its own.

LiveSteam
You still haven't answered the question I've asked you twice: how are funds for research acquired?

GOV grants I think

DeezNutz
09-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Iowa State is way better in academics than Kansas State. Not to mention its a better school than both Kansas and Nebraska. Only Texas, A&M, and Missouri are ahead of Iowa State in the B1G academically.

I would put ISU on par with KSU; these are very comparable institutions.

HolyHandgernade
09-18-2011, 10:59 PM

Yes, but does ISU have a brand new billion dollar grant? Also, it isn't just about arbitrary college rankings, its also about brand recognition once you get past the relatively same athletics profile. You have to have something to sell, that's why these conferences have all this money to hand out. ISU has some of the best fans in the world, but the Cyclone brand just isn't that strong. Whether football or basketball, who gets excited to hear "the Cyclones are coming to town?"

HolyHandgernade
09-18-2011, 11:02 PM
GOV grants I think

That's correct. Most grants are Federal grants. Almost all medical breakthroughs are done by universities through Federal research grants. The drug companies just capitalize on it. Federal Grant money is the true lifeblood of the top academic research schools. It dwarfs anything State BOR or sports affiliations give it.

alnorth
09-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Yes, but Syracuse and Pitt had something that KU and KSU didn't: large TV markets. It wasn't likely those two schools were going to be without a spot at the dinner table. They could afford to keep a low profile.

I'm not saying Pitt and Syracuse aren't more desirable, I am saying that the lack of public talk out of a school is irrelevant, since there is almost never a good reason to reveal what you are doing and plenty of reasons not to.

|Zach|
09-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Lets do this!

Do what? I thought this wasn't happening AlwaysWrongenson.

HolyHandgernade
I'm not saying Pitt and Syracuse aren't more desirable, I am saying that the lack of public talk out of a school is irrelevant, since there is almost never a good reason to reveal what you are doing and plenty of reasons not to.

I'll buy that. Let me just say this, then. The KU statements about these realignments has been very low key and confident that KU will be OK when its all over. Maybe that's just painting a "brave face", but KSU and MU have basically taken the same stance, giving the "we hope the Big XII stays together, that is the best option" speech.

DeezNutz
That's correct. Most grants are Federal grants. Almost all medical breakthroughs are done by universities through Federal research grants. The drug companies just capitalize on it. Federal Grant money is the true lifeblood of the top academic research schools. It dwarfs anything State BOR or sports affiliations give it.

And when all of the dust settles, that's why academics have nothing to do with conference realignment.

Sure, certain universities want to align themselves with strong academic institutions to increase perceived reputation of their own institutions, and the CIC presents an economic and (tangible) academic advantage for schools in the Big 10.

Beyond this, grant money and state appropriations will not change, which points us to the real prime mover in all of this. See: Nebraska.

LiveSteam
09-18-2011, 11:08 PM
which points us to the real prime mover in all of this.

Football I think :D

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2011, 11:12 PM

B1G looks at national branding first and foremost. That is why Nebraska got in. That is why B1G is waiting to see what ND and/or Texas wants to do. ISU has no national branding at all. They have been bottom feeders of the Big 12, and are an after thought in their own state. Academics are down on the list of priorities, but I would say that it appears the B1G puts some thought into it, moreso than other conferences. Mizzou's combination of a growing success in football, along with strong academics, puts it ahead of KU, KSU, ISU. KU stature in basketball is what places it ahead of KSU and ISU. Like others have said, I think KSU and ISU are similar institutions. Iowa does not care about ISU, however the KU may or may not help KSU when push comes to shove. No one knows what is going to happen, we are all pulling theories out of our asses at this point. But to think that ISU is the best candidate for the B1G is just foolish.

HolyHandgernade
09-18-2011, 11:17 PM
And when all of the dust settles, that's why academics have nothing to do with conference realignment.

Sure, certain universities want to align themselves with strong academic institutions to increase perceived reputation of their own institutions, and the CIC presents an economic and (tangible) academic advantage for schools in the Big 10.

Beyond this, grant money and state appropriations will not change, which points us to the real prime mover in all of this. See: Nebraska.

I think NU was a "brand name" grab, and at the time, was AAU rated. I don't pretend to know the motivations of each conference. I don't think the motivations can necessarily be boiled down to one common motivation. In the SEC, its obviously football. In the ACC, it appears to be academic standing, location, and basketball. In the PAC, its about TV market share because the availability of schools is limited by geography.

The B1G strikes me as the classic big academics/big athletics college fraternity. I think academic standing standing or perception does matter to them. Of all the conferences, I also think tradition matters the most to them, and that is why long time rivals like MU, KSU, KU and NU have sentimental value. Why continuing MU versus Illinois is a good thing. That "midwest people" have a lot in common. I don't think the B1G just tosses those things out in consideration, otherwise, I think they would have went after FSU and Texas even harder.

DeezNutz
09-18-2011, 11:20 PM
I think NU was a "brand name" grab, and at the time, was AAU rated. I don't pretend to know the motivations of each conference. I don't think the motivations can necessarily be boiled down to one common motivation. In the SEC, its obviously football. In the ACC, it appears to be academic standing, location, and basketball. In the PAC, its about TV market share because the availability of schools is limited by geography.

The B1G strikes me as the classic big academics/big athletics college fraternity. I think academic standing standing or perception does matter to them. Of all the conferences, I also think tradition matters the most to them, and that is why long time rivals like MU, KSU, KU and NU have sentimental value. Why continuing MU versus Illinois is a good thing. That "midwest people" have a lot in common. I don't think the B1G just tosses those things out in consideration, otherwise, I think they would have went after FSU and Texas even harder.

Well said. I agree with all of this.

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2011, 11:21 PM

Very good way of putting it. B1G does value tradition and at least the perception of academic standing.

Part of me still hopes the B1G invites Mizzou, but I am not holding out hope. Anything seems possible at this point.

jAZ
09-19-2011, 12:26 AM

Meanwhile, you're talking in circles and conflating points.

My point about the CIC and the tangible draw for schools affiliated with it stands on its own.

I'm not talking in circles. I'm pointing out how you have moved so far away from the original comment and point. But whatever.

And Faculty and PhD students at various universities submit for NSF and other grants.

jAZ
09-19-2011, 12:31 AM
GOV grants I think

Vast majority. Some Universities and departments/programs are getting better at corporate sponsored research, but very little basic research is funded by corporations. There's rarely an economic return on basic research soon enough to make it of interest to corporations.

jAZ
09-19-2011, 12:34 AM

What was once 95% state funding at the UA is now 10-15%. Tuition and Research funding are the lifeblood of a research university.

CrazyPhuD
09-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Vast majority. Some Universities and departments/programs are getting better at corporate sponsored research, but very little basic research is funded by corporations. There's rarely an economic return on basic research soon enough to make it of interest to corporations.

Heh in computers almost no one in industry funds research at academia with the intent to get anything back from academia. Generally speaking academia is 3-5 years behind industry. Industry funds academia to get recruiting access to students for recruiting. Most big money still comes from NSF/Darpa to my knowledge.

Pants
09-19-2011, 12:46 AM
:Lin:

DeezNutz
09-19-2011, 07:10 AM
It's all about money. Nothing more, nothing less. People bring up the other bullshit to try to fool themselves and make the whole thing appear more legitimate.

Here was the original point, Jaz, and it remains accurate. The Big 10 didn't seek out Nebraska because of its stellar academic reputation. The conference added this school because of its behemoth football program, which is a revenue-generating machine. Regional exposure, opening new markets, etc...revenue is the common denominator.

Then you started talking about a school's overall operating budget, which is primarily driven by tuition, state appropriations, and grants. None of which have much to do with conference realignment. Tuition perhaps could enter the debate if a few additions would then increase the marketability and brand of a conference (individual school) enough to drive up enrollment.

Solid academic conferences have added lesser academic institutions over the past 12 months. Why? Pretty simple answer.

Finally, it's not just doctoral students who can apply for research funding, as you surely know, but I understand that you're at a point in your life that this is your primary focus (based on your initial fiscal analysis of a university, which seems to have been a point of discussion in Intro. to Grad. Studies at the southwest branch of KU--read U of A--, and your final post to me).

HolyHandgernade
09-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Heh in computers almost no one in industry funds research at academia with the intent to get anything back from academia. Generally speaking academia is 3-5 years behind industry. Industry funds academia to get recruiting access to students for recruiting. Most big money still comes from NSF/Darpa to my knowledge.

Most research universities aren't heavy into computer/technology research, its mostly bio/medical. Almost all innovation in the health related industry comes from universities, not industry.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Either way...with the addition of Cuse, Pitt, UConn, and most likely Rutgers, the ACC has the top academic conference. This is exciting for the ACC. They beat the SEC and Big East to the punch.

eazyb81
09-19-2011, 09:04 AM
So ND has said they would not join a conference unless there is a "seismic shift" in the conference landscape.

Does Syracuse and Pitt qualify? What about UConn and Rutgers potentially going to the ACC with them, and WVU going to the SEC?

That would eliminate many of the best universities in the Big East, greatly impacting the prestige of the conference for ND's non-football sports. Would this be enough of a catalyst to get ND to finally join a conference (B1G most likely)?

If ND finally bites the bullet, I can definitely see a scenario where both Mizzou and ku (maybe along with Rutgers) ride in with them to the Big Ten. But I don't see B1G expanding at all if they don't get a big dog - ND or UT - with it.

jAZ
09-19-2011, 09:40 AM

In the short term, academia can't compete with in-house design teams. That's not the point, and it's not designed to work that way. Academia, even in CS and MIS (my department), we conduct basic research. We provide the tools and understanding that companies use to inform their next level of applications.

I happen to be in a program that commercializes IT research better than many others. Just had one of our top professors have his 8 year old "startup" acquired for the 2nd time. This time by IBM for $1/2 a billion dollars. The research began with DARPA and similar funding and the publications.

But companies typically will license this research after it's done. Not fund it before it gets started.

jAZ
09-19-2011, 10:12 AM
It's all about money. Nothing more, nothing less. People bring up the other bullshit to try to fool themselves and make the whole thing appear more legitimate.
Here was the original point, Jaz, and it remains accurate. The Big 10 didn't seek out Nebraska because of its stellar academic reputation. The conference added this school because of its behemoth football program, which is a revenue-generating machine. Regional exposure, opening new markets, etc...revenue is the common denominator.

Then you started talking about a school's overall operating budget, which is primarily driven by tuition, state appropriations, and grants. None of which have much to do with conference realignment. Tuition perhaps could enter the debate if a few additions would then increase the marketability and brand of a conference (individual school) enough to drive up enrollment.

Solid academic conferences have added lesser academic institutions over the past 12 months. Why? Pretty simple answer.

Finally, it's not just doctoral students who can apply for research funding, as you surely know, but I understand that you're at a point in your life that this is your primary focus (based on your initial fiscal analysis of a university, which seems to have been a point of discussion in Intro. to Grad. Studies at the southwest branch of KU--read U of A--, and your final post to me).
No, here's the original point and posts.

A great post on one of the boards I frequent had the following to share. It's from a trusted poster with ties to the Pac-12 office.

Oklahoma has an invite to Pac-12... OSU is not an automatic invite with the Sooners. OU realizes that OSU might only be a part of certain scenarios.

If OU comes and Texas balks, Mizzou and Kansas come into play. OSU and Tech are fillers.

There is some interest on a play for Rice as a 4th addition as this has been floated to UT. The Houston market and Rice's academics are intrugiuing as a partner for Texas.

The Texas to the ACC stuff is nonsense and a negotiation ploy being floated out by UT. The Pac 12 is the only option being considered by the UT.

Longhorn Network, it is no impediment as ESPN would gladly drop it in favor of more Pac 12-16 games in the current deal. Apparently it's a financial mess all around.

The dream scenario for Larry Scott is Texas, Oklahoma, Mizzou and Kansas. Four huge schools with 2 big football and 2 big hoops traditions. 3 AAU members and 5 big new TV markets along with 3 other good, medium sized markets.

Mizzou badly wants to be in the Big 10, but views themselves as more SEC compatitable with less travel there too.

Mizzou has talked to Scott and KU would do anything to make it happen as they want to stay West.

Yeah, this is complete bullshit. Rice? LMAO. Academics aren't a factor in this equation. Not in the slightest bit.

You said about my original post "this is complete bullshit".

You based your sweepingly wrong statement on the baseless fact that you just don't believe that anyone at the league office was talking about Rice as a +1 to Texas because of the academics and the Houston market.

You subsequently completely twisted the facts to make an ignorant argument based on your assumption that acadmics play no role in the decision making of an athletic conference.

You then went on to completely contradict your original sweepingly wrong statement by agreeing with HH, and I quote:

... In the ACC, it appears to be academic standing, location, and basketball. ...

The B1G strikes me as the classic big academics/big athletics college fraternity. I think academic standing standing or perception does matter to them.
Well said. I agree with all of this.

You are wrong in one or the other of your statements. Either for some conferences it's about money AND academics... or it's about money, nothing more and nothing less.

You don't get to have it both ways just because you want to feel right.

And NONE of that changes the fact that the vast majority of the information I shared in my original post, which you called "complete BS", has since come out and been confirmed if not yet proven true.

And you have no way of knowing if Rice was being discussed by people at the league office, but given that my source seems to have been completely correct at this point, I am certain that it was discussed.

I am also now certain about what I initially just assumed. You didn't know what you are talking about when you called the whole post "complete BS".

What I don't understand is why you can't seem accept that you were almost certainly wrong. It's not like you are expected to know the discussions going on in the Pac-12 offices. Or expected to know how important academics and research funding are these days to both the funding and the branding of certain conferences. Or expected to believe some unconfirmed rumor posted and reposted on the internet.

It's perfectly reasonable to have assumed it was BS then.

But it's not so reasonable now.

Bambi
09-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Do what? I thought this wasn't happening AlwaysWrongenson.

Teams leave and join conferences all the time.

Conferences merge all the time.

It's the idea of Kansas or Missouri joining a conf where they are forced to fly all their teams to coasts to play all the time to play.

That is my stance, always has been.

That being said I don't get why the Big 12 wouldn't just stay together.

OU made pretty good work of the ACC "power" this weekend.

Why let anyone push you around? Doesn't make sense.

DJ's left nut
09-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Why let anyone push you around? Doesn't make sense.

Absolutely miserably bad leadership.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 12:06 PM

Gabe Dearmond is reporting that Mizzou has held discussions with every other BCS conference. Storm's a-brewin' IMO.

KC native
09-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Ugh, the Pitt, syracuse, and uconn news is a kick in the nuts for TCU. I have no idea of where we'll land but at least I know Chris del Conte is working to get TCU the best outcome.

Bambi
09-19-2011, 12:56 PM

I'm leaning more and more your direction every day.

The Pac-10 and ACC are inferior on the field.

Make that matter. The Big 12 officials get paid way too much money to just sit around and let things crumble.

IF OU-OSU-UT-TT all end up in the Pac-16 and then all of a sudden there's an Pac-16 office in Dallas and Dan Beebe somehow has a job there then I give up.

DJ's left nut
09-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Gabe Dearmond is reporting that Mizzou has held discussions with every other BCS conference. Storm's a-brewin' IMO.

Of course they have - now that the captains of the XII have scuttled the ship.

Unfortunately, the time to be talking was back when it first started taking on water.

MU has dicked this up.

Pants
09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Of course they have - now that the captains of the XII have scuttled the ship.

Unfortunately, the time to be talking was back when it first started taking on water.

MU has dicked this up.

Jesus, man, MU will be fine.

DJ's left nut
09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Jesus, man, MU will be fine.

Probably - but not for lack of effort.

What has the administration done to actually help MU's transition here? Apart from droning on and on about how "The XII is our first priority and we are certain we can keep it together" blah blah blah - what have they done?

MU has been a pawn in all this. That's it and that's all.

Pants
09-19-2011, 01:15 PM

What has the administration done to actually help MU's transition here? Apart from droning on and on about how "The XII is our first priority and we are certain we can keep it together" blah blah blah - what have they done?

That's one theory.

|Zach|
09-19-2011, 01:19 PM

How naive do you have to be to think that public facing comments are all that is happening.

I will answer that for you...

Very.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm leaning more and more your direction every day.

The Pac-10 and ACC are inferior on the field.

Make that matter. The Big 12 officials get paid way too much money to just sit around and let things crumble.

IF OU-OSU-UT-TT all end up in the Pac-16 and then all of a sudden there's an Pac-16 office in Dallas and Dan Beebe somehow has a job there then I give up.

The PAC 12 and the ACC are tough enough.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 01:28 PM
The PAC may have overtaken the SEC in terms of best football conference.

Oregon
USC
Stanford
Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma State

DJ's left nut
09-19-2011, 01:55 PM
How naive do you have to be to think that public facing comments are all that is happening.

I will answer that for you...

Very.

Because MU's administration has proven itself to be airtight in the past, right?

How naive do you have to be to believe that this administration is capable of keeping a lid on back-alley machinations?

I won't even bother answering it for you - recent history has done it for me.

DeezNutz
09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
your assumption that acadmics play no role in the decision making of an athletic conference.

You're right that I should have qualified my original statement. In a perfect world, these conferences would want to add institutions that bring everything to the table: athletics ($), television markets, and high-quality academics.

When put to the test, though, we've seen that these same conferences are more than willing to disregard the last of these three. See: Utah, Nebraska, and the likely additions of OSU and TT.

This is why I laughed about the premise of adding Rice. Sure, it's great that it's a fine academic university, but without the Houston market, outside conference wouldn't even want to urinate on this institution.

Academic branding is such an ancillary point in all of this that, yes, it's laughable.

vailpass
09-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Oregon
USC
Stanford
Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma State

Dude.

Pitt Gorilla
09-19-2011, 04:13 PM
@LaSportsDudeJordan Grove

RT @finebaum: Tusc News' Cecil Hurt,'The SEC would like to have Missouri, but will wait & see on Big 12. WVU is 4th or 5th on the list.'

vailpass
09-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Just wondering....Would KU fans here be more attracted to the ACC (if it turns into the mega-basketball conference some on the radio are predicting) or to one of the power conferences (B10, Pac12)?

Chocolate Hog
09-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Just wondering....Would KU fans here be more attracted to the ACC (if it turns into the mega-basketball conference some on the radio are predicting) or to the B10?

You don't want em'.

ChiefsCountry
09-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Just wondering....Would KU fans here be more attracted to the ACC (if it turns into the mega-basketball conference some on the radio are predicting) or to one of the power conferences (B10, Pac12)?

Only a fucking idot would pick the ACC over the B1G.

Bewbies
09-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Oregon
USC
Stanford
Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma State

LMAO

Yeah, ok.

vailpass
You don't want em'.

I edited my post to include B10, Pac12, power conferences.
I don't have any particular interest in seeing KU in the B10 due to their lack of a football program but I respect them as an institution.

Reerun_KC
PAC 16 or B1G...

vailpass
09-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Only a ****ing idot would pick the ACC over the B1G.

I hear a lot of KU fans here say they care more about hoops than football. So, I was wondering if they would rather be in a power b-ball conference than a prime BCS conference.

ChiefsCountry
09-19-2011, 04:20 PM
I edited my post to include B10, Pac12, power conferences.
I don't have any particular interest in seeing KU in the B10 due to their lack of a football program but I respect them as an institution.

B1G Network needs some winter programming as well and KU would provide some basketball ratings.

vailpass
09-19-2011, 04:21 PM
PAC 16 or B1G...

Rather than join the other members of college hoops royalty in the ACC?

vailpass
09-19-2011, 04:26 PM
B1G Network needs some winter programming as well and KU would provide some basketball ratings.

That makes sense. We watch B10 hoops in the winter as it is but it would be fun to have KU mixed in.
No matter if it is KU or someone else they won't seem like a B10 team.
Hell I still don't think of Penn State as B10.

Reerun_KC
09-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Rather than join the other members of college hoops royalty in the ACC?

As a fan it would be nice to be able to see some of the games....

Living in OK, going where OU goes makes sense...

I love driving to the Noble toilet center and watch the Hawks live. Also like watching them get killed in football also live...

they go to the ACC or B1G and my football and basketball experience takes a hit...

CrazyPhuD
09-19-2011, 04:38 PM
In the short term, academia can't compete with in-house design teams. That's not the point, and it's not designed to work that way. Academia, even in CS and MIS (my department), we conduct basic research. We provide the tools and understanding that companies use to inform their next level of applications.

I happen to be in a program that commercializes IT research better than many others. Just had one of our top professors have his 8 year old "startup" acquired for the 2nd time. This time by IBM for $1/2 a billion dollars. The research began with DARPA and similar funding and the publications.

But companies typically will license this research after it's done. Not fund it before it gets started.

Honestly no, academia in computers(especially systems) does not generally do 'primary research'. I've been on both sides of this fence at the very highest levels and I've seen what happens. One of the problems is that academia generally doesn't know what has been done before and so they 'publish' a lot of old work. Now that isn't always bad because it is useful to publish ideas that have been developed before but haven't been published previous. But it isn't really novel and that does make it somewhat disappointing. You don't really get to appreciate this until you actually know what happens behind the curtain to know exactly how far behind academia really is.

There is a real question of who is doing primary research these days. The reality is, big industrial labs aren't, academia generally isn't(there are always exceptions), is it startups then? Not really because once you get funded you're productizing and not really doing research.

Academia should be the place where primary research is done, but really it isn't. Part of the reason is that they don't have the resources to really tackle 'bigish' problems that really have to work. Cute little ideas sure, big problems not as much. Academia also rewards more publications and the best way to get 'more' is to publish a lot of a smallish safeish ideas. Try something big and revolutionary and it doesn't work and your tenure case is screwed(or your thesis etc).

That is one of the real problems in the computer field today and realistically I'm not sure the best way to solve that. It is an important issue because we're really not pushing the envelop like we used to. Everything today is evolutionary. Where did the revolutionary ideas go?

eazyb81
09-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Keitzman was insane today. He is terrified at the though of ksu ending up as a mid-major.

vailpass
09-19-2011, 05:04 PM
As a fan it would be nice to be able to see some of the games....

Living in OK, going where OU goes makes sense...

I love driving to the Noble toilet center and watch the Hawks live. Also like watching them get killed in football also live...

they go to the ACC or B1G and my football and basketball experience takes a hit...

That makes sense, from a fan's perspective.

Stewie
09-19-2011, 05:07 PM
NEW YORK (AP) — A person involved in the discussions tells The Associated Press that school and conference officials from the Big East and Big 12 have been discussing ways to merge what's left of the two leagues if Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12.

The person, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk publicly about what is going on behind the scenes, said Monday there has been dialogue between athletic directors and high-level officials in the conference offices.

Syracuse and Pittsburgh have announced they will be leaving the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Texas and Oklahoma are both trying to decide whether to leave the Big 12 for the Pac-12, taking Oklahoma State and Texas Tech with them.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-big-east-big-12-officials-talk-210302164.html

BmoreBills
09-19-2011, 05:07 PM

For a basketball crazy school, not really... and the ACC opens up a lot of opportunity for a football team to really succeed.

vailpass
09-19-2011, 05:09 PM
For a basketball crazy school, not really... and the ACC opens up a lot of opportunity for a football team to really succeed.

ACC is where football goes to die.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2011, 05:12 PM
NEW YORK (AP) — A person involved in the discussions tells The Associated Press that school and conference officials from the Big East and Big 12 have been discussing ways to merge what's left of the two leagues if Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12.

The person, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk publicly about what is going on behind the scenes, said Monday there has been dialogue between athletic directors and high-level officials in the conference offices.

Syracuse and Pittsburgh have announced they will be leaving the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Texas and Oklahoma are both trying to decide whether to leave the Big 12 for the Pac-12, taking Oklahoma State and Texas Tech with them.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-big-east-big-12-officials-talk-210302164.html

:cuss: Pure Suck, KU had better get on the ball here and become as attractive as possible to a mega conference.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Supposedly, the SEC turned down WVU.

vailpass
09-19-2011, 05:17 PM

There is only so much sister fucking a conference can take.

kstater
09-19-2011, 05:18 PM

Best news in the last week.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 05:19 PM

KU can't go to the ACC anyway, They aren't on the Atlantic Coast, but the main reason is better academic standing to get smarter students. The Sports are great as well from LAX to football.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 05:20 PM
ACC is where football goes to die.

WTF ever. It is year in and out one of the top 3 conferences in football.

kstater
09-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I think shit just got real. Re: Texas BOR

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 05:21 PM

WVU brings nothing to the SEC.

vailpass
09-19-2011, 05:22 PM

LMAO Of course it is. Football schools are stampeding to get in.

Stewie
09-19-2011, 05:23 PM
KU can't go to the ACC anyway, They aren't on the Atlantic Coast, but the main reason is better academic standing to get smarter students. The Sports are great as well from LAX to football.

Huh? Only five schools in the ACC are part of the AAU.

Anyway, this is no longer about academics.

eazyb81
09-19-2011, 05:24 PM

The ACC hasn't been top 3 in football in the last decade. Have you been living under a rock?

RustShack
09-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Iowa State 35th in college football attendance
Cyclones rank fifth in Big 12, outpace most of ACC, Big East, Pac-12

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 05:25 PM
LMAO Of course it is. Football schools are stampeding to get in.

What do you mean. They already have the best football schools on the entire Atlantic Coast that are available that have the academics to even be admitted.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2011, 05:26 PM

I believe it's specifically about number of TV sets, although i could be wrong.

eazyb81
09-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Huh? Only five schools in the ACC are part of the AAU.

Anyway, this is no longer about academics.

I think academics is part of it, in that it can prevent you from getting to the final round but it can't win you a spot by itself.

West Virginia has awful academics, and conferences are wary about bringing in a school that has such a poor reputation.

kstater
09-19-2011, 05:27 PM

They've played two rivals at home. Tell me the stats at the end of the year.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 05:27 PM
The ACC hasn't been top 3 in football in the last decade. Have you been living under a rock?

Bullshit.

They've been better than the Big 10, Big 12/Pac-10, and the Big East. Swap out the big 12 and pac 10 some years as things go up and down.

Big 10 and Big East football is a joke compared to the other conferences they are always last and at no time over the past ten years been better than the ACC top-to-bottom.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 05:29 PM
I think academics is part of it, in that it can prevent you from getting to the final round but it can't win you a spot by itself.

West Virginia has awful academics, and conferences are wary about bringing in a school that has such a poor reputation.

SEC academics aren't terrible, but WVU is good enough to get in that conference from an academic perspective.

RustShack
They've played two rivals at home. Tell me the stats at the end of the year.

Texas might break both next weekend. But hey nice try.

alnorth
The decision by the UT regents is odd. They declined to give UT the authority to change conferences. They basically gave them the authority to either publicly announce that UT is staying in the Big 12, or come back again later to ask for permission to leave the Big 12 if UT doesn't think they can make it work.

kstater
09-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Texas might break both next weekend. But hey nice try.

Again, come back at the end of the year and tell me ISU's stats.

Stewie
09-19-2011, 05:30 PM
SEC academics aren't terrible, but WVU is good enough to get in that conference from an academic perspective.

Only Florida and Vanderbilt qualify for AAU status. The SEC isn't about academics.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Bullshit.

They've been better than the Big 10, Big 12/Pac-10, and the Big East. Swap out the big 12 and pac 10 some years as things go up and down.

Big 10 and Big East football is a joke compared to the other conferences they are always last and at no time over the past ten years been better than the ACC top-to-bottom.

The ACC is terrible at football. They are better than the Big East, but not by a lot.

eazyb81
09-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Bullshit.

Dude you are joking are just crazy.

ACC football is FSU, Miami, Va Tech, and a bunch of nobodies. FSU has been mediocre since the 90's (getting better now), Miami has been off an on since the NC game in the early 00's.

SEC, Big 12, and Big Ten have CLEARLY been better. No contest really.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 05:33 PM

ACC football is FSU, Miami, Va Tech, and a bunch of nobodies. FSU has been mediocre since the 90's (getting better now), Miami has been off an on since the NC game in the early 00's.

So has the Pac 10.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 05:33 PM
The ACC is terrible at football. They are better than the Big East, but not by a lot.

Wrong.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Wrong.

What teams in the ACC have been worth a shit over the past decade?

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 05:37 PM

Nope.

Ocassionally the Big 12 or PAC 10 is better, but never over the past ten years has the Big 10 been better. Their football product sucks. The only team I wouldn't want to play in that entire conference is IOWA and Wis. The rest is trash from another century. OSU getting passess in that conference has been nothing short of a giant joke perpetuated on the masses. Playing in that weakass conference, going undefeated, and getting destroyed like a hihg school team in the NC game. LOL

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 05:38 PM
What teams in the ACC have been worth a shit over the past decade?

Virginia Tech has obviously been the best in conference and one of the top teams in the nation for over the past 15 years. In fact last season they completed their 7, 10 plus win season in-a-row.

Miami is a tought team to beat. If they got a QB they and FSU would be unstoppable. And Gerogai Tech is a tough team too with that triple option. Shit if FSU had a QB worth a crap they would have beat OU the other night.

Stewie
09-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Virginia Tech has obviously been the best in conference and one of the top teams in the nation for over the past 15 years. In fact last season they completed their 7, 10 plus win season in-a-row.

Playing ACC scrubs.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Nope.

Ocassionally the Big 12 or PAC 10 is better, but never over the past ten years has the Big 10 been better. Their football product sucks. The only team I wouldn't want to play in that entire conference is IOWA and Wis. The rest is trash from another century. OSU getting passess in that conference has been nothing short of a giant joke perpetuated on the masses. Playing in that weakass conference, going undefeated, and getting destroyed like a hihg school team in the NC game. LOL

Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State, Iowa, Nebraska, and Penn State would all be top 3 teams in the ACC over the past decade.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State, Iowa, Nebraska, and Penn State would all be top 3 teams in the ACC over the past decade.

Maybe.

Nebraska wouldn't or are you forgetting Bill Callahan. Penn State has had one really good season over the past decade. MSU...LMAO. OSU....doubt it. They wouldn't go undefeated. Iowa though...Wisconsin...I'd take those teams.

alnorth
09-19-2011, 05:43 PM
The decision by the UT regents is odd. They declined to give UT the authority to change conferences. They basically gave them the authority to either publicly announce that UT is staying in the Big 12, or come back again later to ask for permission to leave the Big 12 if UT doesn't think they can make it work.

bumping this so real news doesn't get missed in this dumb conference slap-fight.

UT to PAC 12 may not be a done deal at all.

Rams Fan
09-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Maybe.

Nebraska wouldn't or are you forgetting Bill Callahan. Penn State has had one really good season over the past decade. MSU...LMAO. OSU....doubt it. They wouldn't go undefeated. Iowa though...Wisconsin...I'd take those teams.

tOSU wouldn't be better than any of the teams over the last decade in the ACC? LMAO

vailpass
09-19-2011, 05:49 PM
What do you mean. They already have the best football schools on the entire Atlantic Coast that are available that have the academics to even be admitted.

Bullshit.

LMAO

|Zach|
09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Lets not be silly.

vailpass
09-19-2011, 05:52 PM
bumping this so yet another unsubstantiated rumor in a god-awful long string of unsubstantiated rumors doesn't get missed in this dumb conference slap-fight.

fyp

ArrowheadMagic
09-19-2011, 05:53 PM
bumping this so real news doesn't get missed in this dumb conference slap-fight.

According to this,UT President received permission to start looking. As did OU's.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2011/09/19/regents_give_po.html

vailpass
09-19-2011, 05:54 PM
It is my understanding that my chocolate lab has been granted entrance to the Pac12 provided he can attain AAU status.

kstater
09-19-2011, 05:57 PM
According to this,UT President received permission to start looking. As did OU's.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2011/09/19/regents_give_po.html

This doesn't disprove what Alnorth said.

Powers will work in consultation with a group of six people, including Regents chairman Gene Powell.
Any change in conference membership has to be submitted to the board to approve. Powers, however, wouldn’t need regents’ approval if he decides Texas should remain in the Big 12.

alnorth
09-19-2011, 06:04 PM
fyp

Yeah, Bohls from the Austin-American statesman is SUCH a rumormonger :rolleyes:

alnorth
09-19-2011, 06:06 PM

UT was not given what OU received. OU's president has the green-light to do anything, he no longer has to come back to the board.

UT's board gave UT the permission to do only two things: publicly reaffirm that UT is staying in the Big 12, or say nothing and keep talking to schools and conferences behind closed doors. They decided not to give UT's president the freedom to change conferences without coming back again later to ask for permission.

Reerun_KC
09-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Said here on the sports animal that ou / osu are pretty much a done deal to the pac 16.

vailpass
09-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah, Bohls from the Austin-American statesman is SUCH a rumormonger :rolleyes:

Everything is rumor and/or speculation at this point, or was there something decisive in your post that clears up all of the conference questions?

whoman69
09-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Big 12 schools going to the ACC doesn't make sense from a geographic or rivalry standpoint. The Big East/Big 12 combo would make an effective basketball conference even without Pitt and Syracuse. They would still trump the ACC in football. It will be a pretty spread out conference though.

ArrowheadMagic
09-19-2011, 06:19 PM
UT was not given what OU received. OU's president has the green-light to do anything, he no longer has to come back to the board.

UT's board gave UT the permission to do only two things: publicly reaffirm that UT is staying in the Big 12, or say nothing and keep talking to schools and conferences behind closed doors. They decided not to give UT's president the freedom to change conferences without coming back again later to ask for permission.

Granted, Boren has absolute power,but UT regents will follow along with Powers if he sees fit in moving to a new conference.

mnchiefsguy
09-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Granted, Bowen has absolute power,but UT regents will follow along with Powers if he sees fit in moving to a new conference.

Maybe, maybe not. If they were going to follow Bowen blindly, why didn't they give him the authority to make the move? The fact that he has to come back and ask the regents to approve a move means the regents are expecting any conference deal that Texas makes to be lopsided in the Longhorns favor. I think they might have a tough time finding a better deal than what they have now.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Per Gabe Dearmond, the Rivals WVU guy is saying that he also is hearing WVU was declined, but he can't confirm it.

vailpass
09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Per Gabe Dearmond, the Rivals WVU guy is saying that he also is hearing WVU was declined, but he can't confirm it.

*awkward*

alnorth
09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Everything is rumor and/or speculation at this point, or was there something decisive in your post that clears up all of the conference questions?

In this case, it is not a rumor because it is a freaking public meeting. They can meet in executive session all they want which leads us to wonder what they discussed, but Bohls only reported what they officially empowered Texas to do. Or, rather, what they did NOT empower Texas to do.

So no, it is not a rumor. Sometimes you have real hard news in this mess.

Rudy lost the toss
09-19-2011, 06:38 PM

Miami is a tought team to beat. If they got a QB they and FSU would be unstoppable. And Gerogai Tech is a tough team too with that triple option. Shit if FSU had a QB worth a crap they would have beat OU the other night.

Lol

convincing post

ArrowheadMagic
09-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Maybe, maybe not. If they were going to follow Bowen blindly, why didn't they give him the authority to make the move? The fact that he has to come back and ask the regents to approve a move means the regents are expecting any conference deal that Texas makes to be lopsided in the Longhorns favor. I think they might have a tough time finding a better deal than what they have now.

Sorry, Boren, typo, and Powers, both schools know they need each other and will either stay or go to the Pac-12 together. Both schools would rather stay in the Big 12 but changes have to be made. Pac 12 wont turn down the Texas TV market. Longwhorn Network will morph into the Pac 12 tv deal and UT wont lose money. UT does not want an OU less Big 12.

Reaper16
09-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Garcia Bronco is a Virginia Tech fan, if y'all didn't know.

mnchiefsguy
09-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Sorry, Boren, typo, and Powers, both schools know they need each other and will either stay or go to the Pac-12 together. Both schools would rather stay in the Big 12 but changes have to be made. Pac 12 wont turn down the Texas TV market. Longwhorn Network will morph into the Pac 12 tv deal and UT wont lose money. UT does not want an OU less Big 12.

But that does not fit in with OU wanting to leave because they are pissed at Texas. Why bother moving if Texas is just coming along with ya?

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 06:53 PM

I am not a Fan. I am a Hokie. I am a part of the Alumni.

ArrowheadMagic
09-19-2011, 06:56 PM
But that does not fit in with OU wanting to leave because they are pissed at Texas. Why bother moving if Texas is just coming along with ya?

Posturing, IMO. Forcing UT to decide TV with weaker league or equal revenue sharing. IMO, OU wants to stay in a stable Big 12. UT/OU are intertwined, each requires the other at this point. OU being pissed is an overstatement. If Boren and Joe C. were pissed they wouldnt have met with UT a week ago.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Big 12 schools going to the ACC doesn't make sense from a geographic or rivalry standpoint. The Big East/Big 12 combo would make an effective basketball conference even without Pitt and Syracuse. They would still trump the ACC in football. It will be a pretty spread out conference though.

No big 12 team will go to the ACC.

DeezNutz
09-19-2011, 07:17 PM
No big 12 team will go to the ACC.

Thank goodness. No way anyone wants to have to face VT every year. ;)

vailpass
09-19-2011, 07:19 PM
In this case, it is not a rumor because it is a freaking public meeting. They can meet in executive session all they want which leads us to wonder what they discussed, but Bohls only reported what they officially empowered Texas to do. Or, rather, what they did NOT empower Texas to do.

So no, it is not a rumor. Sometimes you have real hard news in this mess.

Sure thing big guy. Looks like you have a handle on this thing.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Thank goodness. No way anyone wants to have to face VT every year. ;)

Exactly. :)

vailpass
09-19-2011, 07:21 PM

If his debate skills regarding the prowess of ACC football are any indicator that there VaTech degree is as useful as the boil on Beamer's face.

alnorth
09-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Sure thing big guy. Looks like you have a handle on this thing.

This is a classic textbook troll response: When you are confronted with absolute indisputable proof that something you said was wrong, under NO circumstances should you EVER take the high road and admit you were wrong. The high road is only travelled on by losers. Instead you should give a non-response coupled with a condescending insult.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Mark Blaudschun from the Boston Globe tweeting that the SEC will add aTm and Mizzou and stand pat at 14.

tk13
09-19-2011, 08:25 PM
bobfescoe Bob Fescoe
I can confirm that #mizzou will NOT join the AFC west to replace the #chiefs

bobfescoe Bob Fescoe
Also hearing today, and it WILL change tomorrow, that the ACC really wants KU...stay tuned

:)

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 08:48 PM
KU probably wants the ACC to let them bring Texas along, but the ACC only wants Kansas.

Bewbies
09-19-2011, 08:51 PM
KU in the ACC would make it the dream team of basketball conferences. Adding Pitt, Syracuse, UCONN and KU to what they already have? HOLY SHEEOT!

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 09:09 PM
KU in the ACC would make it the dream team of basketball conferences. Adding Pitt, Syracuse, UCONN and KU to what they already have? HOLY SHEEOT!

It makes perfect sense that a team 300 miles west of the Mississippi would be added to a conference that is bunched up against the Eastern sea board.

alnorth
09-19-2011, 09:10 PM
It makes perfect sense that a team 300 miles west of the Mississippi would be added to a conference that is bunched up against the Eastern sea board.

Any port in a storm

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Any port in a storm

If you're Kansas, yes. If you're the ACC, no.

Mr_Tomahawk
09-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Yeah...in addition to the convenience of fans traveling to the games to support their team.

I really hope ND goes to the Big10 so KU has a somewhat of a chance of getting in with their expansion. It wouldn't be a terrible conference if you are talking about basketball with MSU and OSU.

Braincase
09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
K-State to the Ivy League...

tk13
09-19-2011, 10:05 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/For-the-sake-self-preservation-possible-confere?urn=ncaaf-wp6582

And here's one out of left field: This writer is usually pretty in tune with the mid-majors. She says TCU has had discussions with the Mountain West about backing out of the Big East and coming back to the conference. And that the Mountain West would probably, emphasize probably, endorse the move.

Also, the Mountain West has been discussing some kind of football merger with C-USA... and they've been offering landing spots to Big 12 and Big East teams if the whole thing falls apart.

KC native
09-19-2011, 10:15 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/For-the-sake-self-preservation-possible-confere?urn=ncaaf-wp6582

And here's one out of left field: This writer is usually pretty in tune with the mid-majors. She says TCU has had discussions with the Mountain West about backing out of the Big East and coming back to the conference. And that the Mountain West would probably, emphasize probably, endorse the move.

Also, the Mountain West has been discussing some kind of football merger with C-USA... and they've been offering landing spots to Big 12 and Big East teams if the whole thing falls apart.

I could see it happening. Chris Del Conte has been pretty good about keeping TCU moving forward.

Buck
09-19-2011, 10:18 PM

I was pretty sure this was going to happen once I heard about Cuse and Pitt.

The talk about the MWC and C-USA was to have each leagues champion play eachother at the end of the season with the winner being an AQ for the BCS. At least that was the talk a few months ago. I'm not sure if it's still the same, but if either league were to poach teams from the other one, I'd assume it would be the MWC taking some C-USA teams.

Buck
09-19-2011, 10:22 PM
http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/09/19/bmurphy/mountain_west_commish_says_league_talking_with_big_12_big_east_m

Conference USA reaction

A statement from C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky: "We find the activities involving conference realignment fascinating. We are closely watching the recent developments in other conferences, and the potential for change. At the same time, we are working on some creative consolidation strategies that have the potential for positioning our members well into the future. We are particularly intrigued by cooperative possibilities with the Mountain West."

Boise State reaction

Boise State Interim Athletic Director Curt Apsey told the Statesman on Monday afternoon that no conference has contacted Boise State about joining and that the Broncos have not applied to any league.

"You focus on what you can control, which is us. And if you do that, I think you become more attractive," Apsey said.

Apsey said it is important for the Mountain West to be exploring ways to improve.

"It's all about being proactive. I don't think you sit back and wait from a conference standpoint," Apsey said. "It's important, if you can, to put your conference in the best light as it pertains to your ability to make money for the conference."

The Mountain West and Conference USA are again considering a football-only merger in response to conference realignment across the country, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson told the Idaho Statesman on Monday.

“We’ve resurrected … this consolidation concept with Conference USA from a football-only standpoint. The timing is right to be proactive in that,” Thompson said. “Consolidation is, at least, worth exploring.”

Thompson has also reached out to members of the Big 12 and Big East about joining his 10-team league, if realignment leaves those schools without a home.

Thompson said the No. 1 option for those schools — the so-called leftovers if Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech bolt for the Pac-16 and the ACC continues to take teams from the Big East – is to join together under the Big East or Big 12 banner.

“What I’m hearing from most parties is the Big 12 and Big East institutions that might not get invited (to other BCS leagues), their No. 1 option is they are interested in getting together. That is the highest option on those institutions’ part.”

Thompson said he has had extensive conversations with current Mountain West member TCU, which is slated to leave for the Big East next year.

“I have had a lot of conversations with TCU through this process. Specifically inviting them back to the league is not my position,” Thompson said, noting that only the league’s board of directors can issue invitations. “But it is being strongly considered and would probably — probably emphasized — be endorsed by the Mountain West Board of Directors.”

He said he has not talked with former member BYU, who left the conference this year for football independence and the West Coast Conference.

As for a Mountain West-Conference USA merger, Thompson said it would be a football-only “federation” that would help the leagues with television contracts, marketing and stability and corporate sponsorships. The “league” would stretch from the East Coast to Hawaii.

“It’s one of several options that should be discussed in this day and age,” he said.

Thompson said it would be best if the leagues were symmetrical, meaning each had 12 members as C-USA does right now. The Mountain West will have 10 next year when TCU leaves and Fresno State, Nevada and Hawaii join.

He described the model as one like the AFL-NFL model, where the league champions meet for a title.

“Two business-as-usual, quasi-separate leagues getting together,” he said.

Thompson said athletic directors from both leagues are discussing the idea, which is in the “conceptual” stage.

He said there is no definitive time table, but the league is “dealing with several options simultaneously,” including talking with the Big East and Big 12 schools while also considering a merger with Conference USA.

“All you can do is talk to institutions and find out what their intentions are,” Thompson said.

BryanBusby
09-19-2011, 10:27 PM
I'd say with super conferences, geography differences will become more of a minor issue than a sticking point.

Getting more suitcases filled with $100's will help dull the pain of having to fly across the Mississippi.

tk13
09-19-2011, 10:34 PM
That's some pretty forward thinking stuff by the Mountain West and C-USA. Really most of those schools are in the western 2/3rds of the country, except for UCF and East Carolina. They'd definitely have a lot more pull behind it if they can get TCU back though. You could argue the MWC was better than the Big East in football in some years anyway.

I just don't know about KU to the ACC. I was kind of sarcastically posting that tweet. Not because of geography, I think the Carolina schools would be more likely to throw a fit about the travel than KU. I think they'd make an exception for Texas. Not sure about KU.

Bill Brasky
09-19-2011, 11:10 PM

You still don't get it, do you?

Bewbies
09-20-2011, 12:01 AM

Are there no airports in Kansas?

LiveSteam
09-20-2011, 12:14 AM

The hole state is an airport

BryanBusby
09-20-2011, 12:19 AM
I honestly hope this whole thing never dies out. The fake Dan Beebe twitter feed is hilarious.

DanBeebe Fake Dan Beebe
LARRY SCOTT, YOU'RE MESSING WITH THE DANIMAL NOW. DON'T MESS WITH THE DANIMAL, YOU'LL GET THE HORNS
12 minutes ago

Saul Good
09-20-2011, 07:06 AM
You still don't get it, do you?

People think that there is going to be a conference that consists entirely of teams along the East coast plus one team 1,000 miles away, but I don't get it. Please enlighten me.

The ACC doesn't need Kansas. They have enough basketball firepower. If they want to round out the conference, they have the rest of the Big East to raid. UCONN is sitting right there. Louisville, is out there. Hell, Cincy would make more sense than Kansas. They are a poor geographic fit, yet they are still 500 miles closer than Lawrence.

Garcia Bronco
09-20-2011, 08:43 AM

You don't get it. The ACC is not going to travel that far to play that school in every sport. It's not just fb and bb. It's soccer, baseball, LAX, field hockey, and so on.

DaKCMan AP
09-20-2011, 08:47 AM
You don't get it. The ACC is not going to travel that far to play that school in every sport. It's not just fb and bb. It's soccer, baseball, LAX, field hockey, and so on.

The bigger issue is KU doesn't really add much $$.

Saulbadguy
09-20-2011, 08:54 AM
This thread has certainly taken a turn for the stupid.

Frazod
09-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Nice try attempting to start a new thread, but apparently the AIDS is catching.

patteeu
09-20-2011, 09:15 AM

Start another new thread, but don't tell any of the Jayhawkers about it.

Reerun_KC
09-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Start another new thread, but don't tell any of the Jayhawkers about it.

:harumph:

Pants
09-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I was hoping this thread would be for news/twitter rumors/other articles and not everyone's opinion on what would be best or what should happen.

/sigh

Bambi
09-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Did you guys see this? Hilarious

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/61-year-old-Vietnam-vet-makes-the-cut-as-a-small?urn=ncaaf-wp5703

Pants
09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Here's a good source (http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/) for some hard numbers and facts.

Braincase
09-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Here's a good source (http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/) for some hard numbers and facts.

Nice story!

Mr. Laz
09-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Big 12 and Big East combining leftover teams has "Kansas City" written all over it.

You knew nothing good was going to come of anything. We prefer the slow death version of things, herd mentality. Just go with the group, stay safe ... keep a look out for the lion and hope another gazelle get's killed instead of you.

Someone wake Little up and have her sign the papers.

Mosbonian
09-20-2011, 11:02 AM
I actually enoyed the article in Yahoo Sports saying that the ACC would be a better fit for Notre Dame than the Big 10. (And before everyone jumps in and yells, I didn't say I agreed)

Wouldn't that be hilarious? The Big 10 waiting all this time for ND to commit to them and then they get spurned! That would be an interesting kick in the 'nads.

Saul Good
09-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Sounds like WVU was declined by both the ACC and SEC. All signs point to Mizzou to the SEC.

kstater
09-20-2011, 11:41 AM

I'm on my phone, but I'm assuming this is the piece that KU tards have been parading around that uses google searches for "college football" as a means for determining the number of fans a school has.

Bambi
09-20-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm on my phone, but I'm assuming this is the piece that KU tards have been parading around that uses google searches for "college football" as a means for determining the number of fans a school has.

Get over it. Kansas has fans.

lol

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7112/screenshot20110920at124.png

Saulbadguy
09-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I was hoping this thread would be for news/twitter rumors/other articles and not everyone's opinion on what would be best or what should happen.

/sigh

Nope. It's doomed.

Saul Good
09-20-2011, 11:49 AM
I would love to see Mizzou to the SEC or B1G with KU and K-State merging with the Big East keeping a tournament in KC.

DaKCMan AP
09-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Sounds like WVU was declined by both the ACC and SEC. All signs point to Mizzou to the SEC.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/notsofast.jpg

Maybe WVU will be rejected, however, I think the current situation boils down to:
1 - The SEC won't add anybody until Texas A&M is officially in.
2 - Just like they did with Texas A&M, the SEC won't consider an application to any school currently in another conference. WVU would need to leave the Big East first to be considered.

Saul Good
09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Big East brass has been told by WVU brass that they were turned down. That may have been an informal thing, but it sounds like they are out for now. Rumor is they might not have been in the SEC's top 3 even if they go to 16.

Saul Good
09-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Gabe D just started a thread on Power Mizzou saying that he is sitting down to write a realignment article that everyone will want to read. This was about 15 min ago.

duncan_idaho
09-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Looks like Mizzou is headed south... nothing final yet, but that's the appearance. :hmmm:

eazyb81
09-20-2011, 12:44 PM
SEC would be amazing. Hope it turns out to be true. OU needs to hurry up and shit or get off the pot.

Pitt Gorilla
09-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Gabe D just started a thread on Power Mizzou saying that he is sitting down to write a realignment article that everyone will want to read. This was about 15 min ago.That article appears to be up.

Saul Good
09-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Gabe has been very consistent in saying that all of his posts were speculation. Not this time. He said that he's hearing from sources within Mizzou that the SEC is there if they want it.

Now, its just a matter of breaking up this clusterfuck of a conference. OU needs to GTFO so that we can make our move.

Pitt Gorilla
09-20-2011, 12:59 PM
At this point, MU remaining in the Big 12-2-1 would be disappointing.

OnTheWarpath58
09-20-2011, 01:02 PM
http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1267857

Over the last few weeks, rumors have swirled about the future homes of nearly every school in the Big 12 Conference. Missouri has been viewed as a team that may not wield the power in realignment of an Oklahoma or a Texas, but likely has more options than the likes of Baylor and Iowa State.

The Tigers have been tied in some fashion to the Big Ten, the Big East, the PAC-12, the Southeastern Conference and even the ACC over that period of time. But all signs are now pointing one direction for the Tigers.

PowerMizzou.com has learned through sources that Missouri is squarely in the SEC's crosshairs as the potential 14th team. Our sources have indicated that the SEC wants Mizzou as No. 14, but is willing to wait on the implosion of the Big 12 Conference before making any moves if necessary.

The centerpiece as far as the Big 12 situation goes right now is Oklahoma. The University's Board of Regents yesterday authorized president David Boren to explore all options with regard to conference affiliation. Sources in Oklahoma have indicated that there is "almost nothing" that could keep the Sooners in the Big 12 at this point. While the door is not completely shut, sources indicated that chances are incredibly slim Boren and Oklahoma could be convinced to stay in the conference.

The Sooners leaving would likely be the death blow for the Big 12. Sources have indicated that there are people in positions of power at Mizzou who still have an interest in holding the league together as of today. However, if the Big 12 goes away, the SEC is the preferred choice of those directly involved with Missouri athletics.

Can the Big 12 survive, even without Oklahoma? There is no doubt Texas is the power broker in the league. The Longhorns, who has eyed the ACC and the PAC-12, has said it will make a conference decision within two weeks. There is a growing sentiment around Missouri to make the move to the SEC, especially if the Oklahoma schools are gone.

"Why would Texas commit to the Pac-12 any sooner than they absolutely have to, if UT really wants the Big 12 to survive," a Big 12 administrator told Orangebloods.com yesterday.

It has been clear that the Longhorns' top wish would be keeping the Big 12 intact. However, that becomes far less likely if Oklahoma and Oklahoma State depart. Still, Texas could attempt lean on Missouri to stay even if those two leave.

Sources with knowledge of Missouri's situation told PowerMizzou.com that the SEC is willing to wait on the Tigers and to let the situation with the Big 12 play out before making a move.

Indications from multiple sources around Mizzou are that the SEC is the likely landing spot if the Big 12 goes away. In addition, sources said, there are many around Mizzou who would prefer to make the jump regardless of the future of the Big 12 or the ultimate decision of the Oklahoma duo.

West Virginia has also been mentioned as a potential target for the 14th team in SEC expansion. However, reports have surfaced over the last 36 hours that the Mountaineers may have been put on hold by the league. Brett McMurphy, a national college football writer for CBSSports.com tweeted this morning "Multiple Big East sources said they have been told by WVU officials that WVU rejected by ACC & SEC."

PowerMizzou.com has been unable to confirm those reports independently, but there have been multiple indications that the Mountaineers sit behind Missouri on the SEC's wish list.

The bottom line is this: It appears that Missouri has a spot in the Southeastern Conference if and when the Tigers are ready to make the jump. However, it is not a slam dunk.

The remaining questions are these:

--Could Mizzou make the move to the SEC independent of what Oklahoma and Oklahoma State decide?

--Will the desire to keep the Big 12 intact win out, if the Oklahoma schools opt to stay?

--If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State do leave, is that the final blow that cannot be overcome, and does that launch Missouri to the SEC? Or could Texas somehow scrape together enough support to keep the Tigers around and hold a watered-down version of the conference together?

As has been the case throughout the realignment situation, there are many moving parts. No deal is done until it is officially done. But all indications are that if Missouri chooses to leave the Big 12, or if there is no Big 12 to leave, the SEC is the likely landing spot for the Tigers.

Reerun_KC
09-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Gabe has been very consistent in saying that all of his posts were speculation. Not this time. He said that he's hearing from sources within Mizzou that the SEC is there if they want it.

Now, its just a matter of breaking up this cluster**** of a conference. OU needs to GTFO so that we can make our move.

so MU cant leave until OU does something?

DaKCMan AP
09-20-2011, 01:03 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/183/861/sec_new_logo_display_image.png?1270641111

SPchief
09-20-2011, 01:07 PM
If your Mizzou, why even wait on Oklahoma?

mnchiefsguy
09-20-2011, 01:09 PM
If your Mizzou, why even wait on Oklahoma?

To avoid being the situation A & M is in...they jumped the gun and got into a mess. If Mizzou plays its cards right, it could collect some exit fees, then move to the SEC without penalty.

DeezNutz
09-20-2011, 01:12 PM
To avoid being the situation A & M is in...they jumped the gun and got into a mess. If Mizzou plays its cards right, it could collect some exit fees, then move to the SEC without penalty.

Isn't there a clause about the dissolution of the conference? If X teams leave, it will waive the exit fees, no?

Saulbadguy
09-20-2011, 01:14 PM
http://www.rockmnation.com/2011/9/19/2436901/portraits-of-conference-realignment

Snort.

mnchiefsguy
09-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Isn't there a clause about the dissolution of the conference? If X teams leave, it will waive the exit fees, no?

I have a feeling that if OU and OSU take off, then the remaining teams will threaten to stay together, if only to collect the exit fees. The conference would only have to stay together for one more year to collect. Then, a "settlement" could be negotiated, and A & M, OU, OSU would pay less than the full penalty, but they would still pay. At the point, the conference then officially dissolves, and Mizzou would join A & M in the SEC, with some of A & M's money in their pocket. Total win/win for the Tigers if the chips were to fall that way. Anything can happen though.

duncan_idaho
The league exit fees are garnered from withholdings of TV dollars. There's no actual exchange of cash from the school to the conference.

Would be hard to stay long enough to gather those, in this case.

eazyb81
KC Star article now up with the same info. This story is moving fast.

OnTheWarpath58
09-20-2011, 01:18 PM
http://www.rockmnation.com/2011/9/19/2436901/portraits-of-conference-realignment

Snort.

LMAO

DeezNutz
09-20-2011, 01:22 PM
The league exit fees are garnered from withholdings of TV dollars. There's no actual exchange of cash from the school to the conference.

Would be hard to stay long enough to gather those, in this case.

Interesting. If so, leave at the first opportunity.

Mr. Laz
09-20-2011, 01:38 PM
sptwri Mike DeArmond
Source: Mizzou has SEC offer, but SEC willing to wait - KansasCity.com bit.ly/qTbZ0X via @addthis
29 minutes ago