PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff New Conference re-alignment thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34

duncan_idaho
10-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Dissension in the ranks between the President of a flagship member of the Conference and a school that hasn't even been formally invited yet.

Yeah - this is going to work out really well...

Totally functional family unit. Why would Missouri want to leave? Tigers are clearly:
1) Greedy
2) Butthurt
3) Just wanting attention

alnorth
10-26-2011, 04:12 PM
West Virginia politicians are now pissed. Sen. Machin called a press conference this evening.

Sen. Manchin: "If these outrageous reports have any merit – and especially if a United States Senator has done anything inappropriate or unethical to interfere with a decision that the Big 12 had already made – then I believe that there should be an investigation in the U.S. Senate, and I will fight to get the truth. West Virginians and the American people deserve to know exactly what is going on and whether politics is interfering with our college sports."

Sen. Rockefeller: "“The Big 12 picked WVU on the strength of its program—period. Now the media reports that political games may upend that. That’s flat wrong,” Rockefeller said. “I am doing and will do whatever it takes to get us back to the merits.”

Tweet from a WV Representative: @RepShelley #WVU deserves to be in the Big 12. If there is political interference going on, it needs to stop now. #WV

Your move, Rand Paul

HemiEd
10-26-2011, 04:13 PM
I love tablerock. Have some friends with a badass houseboat there. Little cold in November, though.

Everything is relative. Compared to here, we are counting on it being balmy. o:-)
This will be our first winter, so we are wanting to see what it is like. I am hoping some of the trees still have some leaves, but I doubt if they will. If not, the view of the lake will be better, so it is all good.

BigCatDaddy
10-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Wow, teams are really wanting into the Big 12 pretty bad.

DJ's left nut
10-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Wow, teams are really wanting out of the Big East pretty bad.

FYP

beer bacon
10-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Please don't forget the fireworks, walnut bowls and caverns. The Mrs. and I really do plan on stopping at one of those caverns one of these days.

We never stopped at the worlds deepest hand dug well in Greensburg, so we hope to learn from that lesson.

There are a few cheese shops between KC and Columbia now. I love me some fancy cheese.

DeezNutz
10-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Wow, teams are really wanting into the Big 12 pretty bad.

Yep. Heard that the SEC is WVU's fallback.

DJ's left nut
10-26-2011, 04:41 PM
There are a few cheese shops between KC and Columbia now. I love me some fancy cheese.

Osceola Cheese FTMFW!

HemiEd
10-26-2011, 04:42 PM

I have read that on here, and look forward to making that trip one of these days in the future. I love the stuff myself, and have a gut to prove it.

mnchiefsguy
10-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Osceola Cheese FTMFW!

Osceola Cheese is between KC and Springfield PBJ

beer bacon
10-26-2011, 04:46 PM

They opened up a new branch on I-70. I noticed it for the first time on my way to Columbia for the OSU game.

DJ's left nut
10-26-2011, 04:50 PM

They have a little satellite shop off the highway between KC and Columbia.

I think they have one off 44 as well; there's quite a few of them around.

(EDIT: What Beer Bacon said)

mnchiefsguy
10-26-2011, 04:51 PM
They opened up a new branch on I-70. I noticed it for the first time on my way to Columbia for the OSU game.

Cool. Did not know that. Always stop at the one on Highway 13 when we go to Springfield. Best cheese around.

Saul Good
10-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Osceola Cheese FTMFW!

Don't encourage Jayhawkers to visit Osceola. Last time that happened, Quantrall had to burn down Lawrence in retaliation.

DJ's left nut
10-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Don't encourage Jayhawkers to visit Osceola. Last time that happened, Quantrall had to burn down Lawrence in retaliation.

Captain Quantrill was a Patriot...

Pants
10-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Captain Quantrill was a Patriot...

Is that what you guys call people with confederate flags down there in Columbia?

beer bacon
10-26-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm gonna stop on my way back from the Texas game and see if I can get home before I crap my pants.

DJ's left nut
10-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Is that what you guys call people with confederate flags down there in Columbia?

It's that or learn to eat grits.

Grits suck, man.

Reaper16
10-26-2011, 05:06 PM

Grits suck, man.
Boooooooo

HemiEd
10-26-2011, 05:10 PM

Grits suck, man.

If they are done right, they are fucking awesome, really!

Its that whole Cream-O-Wheat look that is hard to work with.

NewChief
10-26-2011, 05:16 PM

Grits suck, man.

People who think grits suck have probably only had plain jane grits. Try garlic cheese grits or shrimp and grits sometime, and you'll change your tune.

Saul Good
10-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Clay Travis says he is working on a piece about an SEC network that will "blow y'alls minds".

CoMoChief
10-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I've just refused to listen to the radio or read any articles concerning this since there seems to be just a huge amount of cluster-**** and rumors during all of this.....

so, that being said....

Has MU left the conference officially? Or are they just playing the waiting game and haven't "technically" filed the departure papers etc?

Because if WVU and Lousiville BOTH come to the Big12, there wouldn't (or shouldn't) be any reason for MU to leave...the conference is back to 12 teams, and really would be a better, and more stable conference than it was a couple seasons ago when Colorado, TXAM, and Nebraska were in the conference.

If MU is leaving because they're afraid that one of the big guys (TX/OU) will leave a few years down the road, then that's nothing more than speculation and MU being stupid (as they have been...remember they kinda dropped the ball, starting this all, and dropping the ball w/ Matt Painter and ending up with Frank Haith and his baggage).

This is just strange. Maybe MU is forcing the Big12's hand to get back to 12 teams, and then decide to stay after all, which then would mean they look like saviors to the college sports scene here in the KC area.

|Zach|
10-26-2011, 05:45 PM
more stable conference than it was a couple seasons ago when Colorado, TXAM, and Nebraska were in the conference.

lol wut

DeezNutz
10-26-2011, 05:47 PM
lol wut

Just got off the phone with a rep. from TX, and he says the conference is currently stable.

Check road conditions again later.

Saul Good
10-26-2011, 05:50 PM
This ship is much more seaworthy now that we stuck bubblegum in all of the cracks of the hull than it ever was before the crash.

Trevo_410
10-26-2011, 06:08 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OdfSLnKMqq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach|
10-26-2011, 06:14 PM
B/c we love relationship analogies, WVU and LVille see a screaming woman in mismatched shoes tripping on a curb and say: I want to be on her,

http://twitter.com/#!/mellinger/status/129309766399954944

DJ's left nut
10-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Uh, Sam - I think you have an extra word in there, buddy.

Pitt Gorilla
10-26-2011, 06:24 PM
I've just refused to listen to the radio or read any articles concerning this since there seems to be just a huge amount of cluster-**** and rumors during all of this.....

so, that being said....

Has MU left the conference officially? Or are they just playing the waiting game and haven't "technically" filed the departure papers etc?

Because if WVU and Lousiville BOTH come to the Big12, there wouldn't (or shouldn't) be any reason for MU to leave...the conference is back to 12 teams, and really would be a better, and more stable conference than it was a couple seasons ago when Colorado, TXAM, and Nebraska were in the conference.

If MU is leaving because they're afraid that one of the big guys (TX/OU) will leave a few years down the road, then that's nothing more than speculation and MU being stupid (as they have been...remember they kinda dropped the ball, starting this all, and dropping the ball w/ Matt Painter and ending up with Frank Haith and his baggage).

This is just strange. Maybe MU is forcing the Big12's hand to get back to 12 teams, and then decide to stay after all, which then would mean they look like saviors to the college sports scene here in the KC area.That would be the WORST case scenario.

notorious
10-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Boooooooo

If they are done right, they are ****ing awesome, really!

Its that whole Cream-O-Wheat look that is hard to work with.

People who think grits suck have probably only had plain jane grits. Try garlic cheese grits or shrimp and grits sometime, and you'll change your tune.

These.

Grits are fucking awesome.

Spott
10-26-2011, 06:30 PM
These.

Grits are fucking awesome.

Grits are great. Maybe the restaurants in Missouri will catch up with the times and start serving sweet tea when all the visiting fans from the south try to order it in mass quantities.

notorious
10-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Grits are great. Maybe the restaurants in Missouri will catch up with the times and start serving sweet tea when all the visiting fans from the south try to order it in mass quantities.

That would be WIN for the Mizzou residents.

Saul Good
10-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Conspiracy time:

The Big IIX is pitting Louisville and WVU against one another. First one that agrees to play in 2012 gets the seat at the table?

Additional conspiracy: there is another poster who is trying to steal my online identity by creating a clone of my online persona and double-posting my ideas...

Saul Good
10-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Conspiracy time:

The Big IIX is pitting Louisville and WVU against one another. First one that agrees to play in 2012 gets the seat at the table?

alnorth
10-26-2011, 06:51 PM
These.

Grits are ****ing awesome.

All right, I've seen it so many times I now have to ask. Whats the story on your avatar? Do you have a very angry white kitty, or does that picture correlate with something that I'm not aware of?

Setsuna
10-26-2011, 07:10 PM
LOL! Big XII just got worse letting those jokes of fans from WVU in their conference. Don't bring any pregnant women to the conference games. They will beat them up after a loss.
ROFL

KC_Connection
10-26-2011, 07:17 PM
I'll take whichever school has the better basketball program. The question is, is that Louisville or West Virginia?

alnorth
10-26-2011, 07:41 PM
I'll take whichever school has the better basketball program. The question is, is that Louisville or West Virginia?

Louisville

BWillie
10-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Louisville

Not if Pittensnoggle has anything to do with it.

KC_Connection
10-26-2011, 07:59 PM
You could argue WVU has been more successful since the Pittsnoggle years.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Conspiracy time:

Additional conspiracy: there is another poster who is trying to steal my online identity by creating a clone of my online persona and double-posting my ideas...

don't see how that would work, both are obligated to give 27 months notice.

I do think OU is leveraging this to ensure expansion to 12 teams, as UT only wanted 10.

Pitt Gorilla
10-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Alabama board thread on re-alignment.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=14&f=1016&t=8154620

Discuss Thrower
10-26-2011, 08:25 PM

Yea... don't really feel like registering on yet another board just for one thread.

I've been lurking on Shaggybevo for the last month. Mizzou is referred to as Kitten Aggy and have been thoroughly derided as not worthy of Big XII membership and most Longhorn fans agree that WVU is a huge upgrade.

evenfall
10-26-2011, 08:27 PM
http://www.mrsec.com/2011/10/tuesday-explodes-with-rumors-and-tweets-but-mizzou-still-on-target-for-sec/

Great summary of where things sit.

Spott
10-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Yea... don't really feel like registering on yet another board just for one thread.

I've been lurking on Shaggybevo for the last month. Mizzou is referred to as Kitten Aggy and have been thoroughly derided as not worthy of Big XII membership and most Longhorn fans agree that WVU is a huge upgrade.

Kind of ironic that the rest of the Big 12 thinks the conference would be a lot better if Texas wasn't in it.

KChiefs1
10-26-2011, 08:33 PM
http://www.mrsec.com/2011/10/tuesday-explodes-with-rumors-and-tweets-but-mizzou-still-on-target-for-sec/

Great summary of where things sit.

Good stuff!

TUESDAY EXPLODES WITH RUMORS AND TWEETS, BUT MIZZOU STILL ON TARGET FOR SEC

October 26th, 2011 11:09 AM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink ║ Tags: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Things got nutty yesterday, didn’t they?* Way too nutty.

We in the media have a tendency to feed like sharks.* If there’s a drop of blood (or truth, in our case) in the water, everyone starts working to get their piece of it.*

The media feeding frenzy is matched only by fans’ desire for immediate information and a pulpit from which to share their own views, theories and wishes.

Example: Website tied to school files report from left field.* Media jump on report.* Fans take report as gospel.* Fans post thoughts and theories on messageboards.* Reporters tweet about thoughts, theories and rumors they’re seeing on messageboards and blogs.* Fans mistake tweets from reporters as dispersals of fact, not “hey, here’s what’s being said.”* Circle continues, etc, etc, etc.

It’s a mess.* And as someone who works in the media, it’s shameful.*

We didn’t post our own follow-up last night because we wanted to check with our contacts before chiming in on yesterday’s rumor frenzy.* And because we know when stories build and build and build on one another in rapid succession — as happened yesterday — there’s usually more hot air than fact involved.

So after finishing our radio and CSS duties yesterday, we hit the phones.* The word we’re getting in simplified form: Not much changed yesterday from an SEC perspective.*

* Missouri still wants into the SEC in 2012 and is working to make that happen.* MU chancellor Brady Deaton wasn’t blowing smoke last Friday when he told a press conference that any move Mizzou makes will be made with next year in mind.

* The Big 12 has thrown up more resistance than expected — including the declaration that the league cannot play with nine teams next year (even though some schools and coaches had campaigned for that very thing) — and that resistance could slow down an MU-SEC announcement, but the SEC office knew there would be some snares.

* It’s still possible Missouri and the SEC will announce a union this week, but MU will have to clear the legal hurdles being tossed around — just as Texas A&M did — first.

* Could this lead to a 2013 SEC entry for Missouri if all goes wrong?* Yes, but the SEC had anticipated that, too.

The feeling I get from talking to people around the league is one of calm.* If Missouri’s in by 2012, great.* If they’re in the following year, the SEC will survive one season as a 13-school league.* (But it’s clear landing a 14th school for next season would be the preference.)

There also didn’t seem to be a whole lotta fear regarding talk that the Big 12 might grab Notre Dame which might convince Missouri to stick around.* We said yesterday that that plan had a large number of moving parts that would all have to interconnect perfectly if it were to come to fruition.* As one SEC administrator told me last night via text: “Too many egos, too much redtape.”

Our gut feeling?* We believe the Big 12′s latest protests might slow the announcement process down by a week, but we still feel the Mizzou has a pretty good shot of exiting by 2012.

If a contract states that a school must remain in a conference or pay a buyout fee, there are two ways to fulfill the contract — stay in the league or pay the buyout fee.* If Missouri pays the buyout fee, it should be clear to leave.

The problem, however, is whether or not Big 12 schools (like Baylor) would sue Missouri for damages should the league lose network television dollars.* But speaking to a friend of mine who happens to be an executive in the sports side of one of the Big 3 networks, the assumption is that if Fox or ESPN were to pull money from a nine-team Big 12, they would pull back only Missouri’s share… which would leave the other members at their current levels of income.

We’ll see where things shake out moving forward, but here’s a whole wave of expansion reports from around the country, complete with our take on most of them:

1.* Here’s the Orangebloods.com report (behind a paywall) that sent the media world into a tizzy yesterday afternoon.* It claims that Notre Dame “is seriously considering” moving it’s non-football sports to the Big 12, which — coupled with a promise of Irish-Missouri football games — could lead Mizzou to stay in the Big 12.

2.* Yesterday, Mike Slive spoke to the Huntsville, Alabama Quarterback Club and jokingly told the audience they weren’t going to get the information that they wanted — a yes or no on Missouri.*

“I realize you’re anxioius to know what happens next with regard to conference realignment.* There’s a lot happening over the intercollegiate landscape, especially the last several weeks.

But with respect to the SEC, I don’t have anything new to report at this time.”

Slive also reiterated a point that we have made on this site many, many times.

“We were very happy with 12 (members).* When Texas A&M contacted us, it’s a great institution and we were willing to take them.* We’re willing to be at 13 for a short period, if that’s what it takes.* Obviously 14 is much easier, but it’s never been for us a goal to move to 16.* It’s never been about numbers for us.”

Despite what you read elsewhere, the SEC is not planning to go to 16.* That would only happen if the college football landscape changed further.* Slive does not want his league to be the first league to 16.* Not when it’s making so much money and having so much success in the present.

Missouri News

3.* MU’s chancellor spoke about his school’s expansion plans during a radio interview yesterday (some of whichwe’ve already covered on the site).* Among them:

“We’ve reached firmness in where we are headed, where we want to analyze and focus our attention.”* (If that were the Big 12, the school would have simply said, “We’re staying!”)

“Our head has to outweigh our heart in achieving some of the objectives because the heart won’t necessarily in this case lead to where the University is going and needs to be going.”* (Kinda obvious what that means.)

“These issues, such as stability, take on very, very important long-term meaning.* We’re trying to look ahead at where we’re going as a university, and where the Big 12 is going, or the SEC is going, and where the world of sports entertainment is going.”* (Again, when it comes to stability there’s an obvious choice.* Deaton might as well have said, “We want to surround ourselves with people who speak with a drawl.”)

Mike DeArmond of The Kansas City Star further discusses that interview here.

4.* Vahe Gregorian of The St. Louis Post-Dispatch was also listening in on Deaton’s radio interview and picked up on these comments:

“Our hopes (for making an announcement) were days, possibly a week or two.* We’re hoping the sooner the better.”

“Involved in these steps that are being taken at this point are two conferences, two boards of directors, two sets of legal counsel, two sets of financial analyses, or three, if you count the University separate from the Big 12, and then you have a commissioner in whichever conference you’re dealing with.”

5.* Deaton was asked by the radio host if he would make his announcement on that show.* We’ll let Gregorian take it from there:

“Deaton declined (the host’s) invitation to announce it during the show, albeit with a slight slip.

‘I’d loved to come back, as soon as we annou. …’

He caught himself before completing the word and added, ‘as soon as we’ve reach conclusion on this, I’d love to be back here with you.’”

6.* Sam Mellinger of The Kansas City Star took a shot at the SEC yesterday stating: “Missouri is as good as gone, of course, off to the Southeastern Conference and its voluntary class schedules for football players and disregard for the NCAA rulebook…” The league has brought rulebook cracks upon itself, but when it comes to class schedules, the SEC will soon have more AAU schools than the Big 12.* Time for the Dust Bowlers to drop the academic barbs.

West Virginia News

7.* Meanwhile, it was widely reported yesterday that West Virginia — passed over by the ACC and the SEC for its small population and academic reputation — will replace Missouri in the Big 12 at some point.* The Associated Press reports that the Big 12′s board of directors unanimously approved inviting WVU “when Missouri’s spot comes open.”

8.* Taking business issues out of the equation — and of course that’s why conferences actually expand — this writer believes West Virginia is a more than adequate replacement for Missouri.* (Of course, he also states that WVU to the Big 12 is no more “absurd” geographically than Missouri joining the SEC.* I’ll agree just as soon as someone shows me where West Virginia borders Kansas, Iowa, or Texas.)

9.* A statewide radio network in West Virginia reported yesterday that WVU’s “move to the Big 12 will happen regardless of whether Missouri stays in the league or applies for membership in the SEC.”

10.* That contradicts The New York Times story by Pete Thamel which claimed a “West Virginia official said the Big 12 would remain at 10 teams.”* (The Big 12 has been pretty clear that 10 teams was its first goal and that 12 might be a possibility down the road.* If it’s adding WVU now, that means it knows — as does the rest of the world — that Missouri is SEC-bound.* The chances of anyone ever seeing a Big 12 featuring both Mizzou and WVU are extremely remote.)

Notre Dame News

And here’s where things get interesting.* Orangebloods.com — which often puts out just what Texas officials want put out — started this ball rolling with its initial report on a possible Irish-Big 12 union.* Several people have since picked it up and ran further with it…

11.* Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman says Notre Dame joining the Big 12 as a part-time member is “probably a long shot” and that it would be “in many ways a dubious arrangement,” but it could save the league.

12.* Lenn Robbins of The New York Post says that the Irish are weighing the Big Ten (full-time membership), the ACC (full-time membership) and the Big 12 (non-football membership).*

13.* Former Notre Dame AD and ACC commissioner Gene Corrigan — whose son coaches lacrosse at UND — believes the Irish and the ACC would be a perfect fit and that Notre Dame has to take full-time membership in a conference seriously at this point.* (Bottom line: A Notre Dame entry into the Big 12 is a long shot and even if it eventually comes to pass, it will have no impact on Missouri’s move to the SEC.* Despite what’s being tossed around by Big 12 websites.)

We’ll stop on 13 — coincidence? — and make just a couple more observations to conclude:

* Missouri’s exit and exit fees would be helped if West Virginia could extricate itself from the Big East.* Ironically, both schools are all but set to move, are trying to negotiate their exits even as we speak, yet can’t really say that they’re on the move.*

* From a short-term, football-only perspective, the Big 12 will get more kudos than the SEC if expansion finally breaks as it appears to be breaking.* TCU and West Virginia are viewed as a stronger combo — right now — than a Texas A&M/Missouri combo.* Of course, conference realignment involves more than just drafting football teams.* Compare the universities, their alumni bases, their television pull and the SEC is getting the better deal.* But that won’t matter to the messageboard crowd.

* I keep seeing Big 12 fans ripping Missouri for trying to leave.* Hopefully, these aren’t Texas, Oklahoma or Oklahoma State fans because all three of those schools have tried to escape the Big 12 in the past 20 months.*

We’ll have more as real news develops.* Hopefully this breakdown condenses everything into a nice, neat, clear package for you.

And as we stated at the top, from speaking with our sources, we still believe it’s likely Missouri will find its way to the SEC for 2012.

KChiefs1
10-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Clay Travis to Kevin Keitzman:

Craig M. writes:

I heard a Kansas City talk show host mention that Florida has a broadcast deal with the Sunshine Network for something like $100 mil/yr to show Florida games on Sunday mornings, "Breakfast With the Gators." He compared this to the LHN and said there was no way Florida would give that deal up for an SEC network. Since this is a rebroadcast agreement, I don't see how it would affect a SEC network. Couldn't both exist?

Assuming you heard this correctly the Kansas City radio show host is an idiot. Florida has a $10 million a year deal with the Sunshine Network. But that's not a tremendous obstacle to the coming SEC Newtork in partnership with ESPN.
What will happen with all of these local multimedia rights deals is that as each expires it will be rolled up into the existing SEC Network platform.
I've got a column on the SEC Network financials that is going to blow y'all's minds. It's coming later this week. But in the meantime be careful who you're listening to talk about expansion. Most people aren't doing a good job making sense. OKTC has owned expansion thus far. One of the reasons is because the people we talk to trust us to understand all the complexities of expansion. Let's be honest, the vast majority of sports reporters have trouble writing game stories in under*an hour even when provided with every quote and stat from a game that just happened in front of them. You think these same*people are*going to be able to get a grip on conference*realignment when politics, legalities, academics, athletics, and more are all*in play at the same time? And the*proper analysis*requires considering all of these factors while playing them forward and adjusting yoru analysis*on an hourly basis as the situation changes?

Good luck to ya. (Uttered just like Willie in Swamp People).

Trevo_410
10-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Look like we're not the only ones who realizes how kansas feels about mizzou leaving...
By another Bama Fan
By Bama FanBy Jayhawk Fan
Missouri has the least amount of Big 12 titles in all sports of any of the original 12 members of the conference. Missouri has never been to a final four, Missouri has never been to a BCS bowl game. Kansas has 13 final fours, 5 national championships, has been to and won a BCS bowl game, has a much larger athletic budget and is .500 against their rival in their rival's biggest sport. I'm not jealous of Missouri. I understand they have more people in their state which makes them more appealing. I'm happy to be in the Big 12 and don't want to go anywhere else. Missouri won't be living large in the SEC, they were a middling team in the Big 12 in most everything and a mid-level program in football. They will be in the bottom half of the SEC in football. They are the 2nd most popular college team in the 2nd biggest market in their own state now and will probably be 3rd after a move to the SEC when they don't play there anymore. I don't envy Missouri, I think they are making a stupid move for a few million more to be more of a whipping boy than they are now.
So why are you here, on an Alabama message board, trash talking them? It certainly comes across as jealousy. If you're happy with it, you shouldn't be here trying to tell us how bad they are and all that crap, you'd just stay on your board talking about how great the new Big 12 will be without A&M and Mizzou.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. He sounds butt hurt to me.

Saul Good
10-26-2011, 08:48 PM
If there's one thing Kansas doesn't care about, it's Mizzou. If they have to go to every message board in the country to talk about Mizzou and how much they don't care about them, so be it.

Spott
10-26-2011, 09:07 PM
I love how all the fans under 30 think that there was never a Big 8 conference and that the Orange, Fiesta, Rose and Sugar Bowls didn't exist until the BCS started in 98.

Crush
10-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I love how all the fans under 30 think that there was never a Big 8 conference and that the Orange, Fiesta, Rose and Sugar Bowls didn't exist until the BCS started in 98.

The world was also entirely in black and white until the 1960's.

BigCatDaddy
10-26-2011, 09:29 PM
KK did not really say, he said something about other coaches of Texas schools targeting aTm, but nothing specific was cited by KK.

Apparently all of the other Texas schools are refusing to play A&M in the non con. As far as most of TX goes they are the black sheep that doesn't even exist. It should be interesting to see how that effects recruiting over the next several years.

KChiefs1
10-26-2011, 10:20 PM
This question is for the KU/KSU fans:

We've all heard that Texas wants WVU & OU wants Louisville. Who do you guys want? Has anyone even asked you or is this all on Texas/Oklahoma? Do you have any balls to standup to the big boys or do you just hope they lube you up when you bend over everyday? Do they even give you a reacharound before they shove the Big Bevo up your ass?

KcMizzou
10-26-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm done with KK. Wright's show is better, and has been for a long time anyway.

I'll tune in to 810 in the morning though. St. John and Bukaty > fucking Fescoe.

kcfan82
10-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm done with KK. Wright's show is better, and has been for a long time anyway.

I'll tune in to 810 in the morning though. St. John and Bukaty > ****ing Fescoe.

I don't really have any feeling good or bad towards either show, but Wright talks about football most of the year. When it gets to Spring and Summer, Kietzman will spend a 15 minute segment talking about a golf outting he had last weekend.

Who gives a sh*t

KcMizzou
10-26-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't really have any feeling good or bad towards either show, but Wright talks about football most of the year. When it gets to Spring and Summer, Kietzman will spend a 15 minute segment talking about a golf outting he had last weekend.

Who gives a sh*tRacin' boys, golf, grilling segments....

Nick Wright's had the better show for a long time. Just takes a while for people to change. And KK has alienated the Mizzou fan base.

HemiEd
10-26-2011, 10:37 PM

We've all heard that Texas wants WVU & OU wants Louisville. Who do you guys want? Has anyone even asked you or is this all on Texas/Oklahoma? Do you have any balls to standup to the big boys or do you just hope they lube you up when you bend over everyday? Do they even give you a reacharound before they shove the Big Bevo up your ass?

I think it is probably too late to get on Frazod's poll, if you aren't on it already, but you might pm a mod.

Why is Texas/Oklahoma any different than Alabama/LSU/Florida?

Mr. Plow
10-26-2011, 10:40 PM

OP sounds legit.

dirk digler
10-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Gotta love the B12. I think they are really really stable.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7154023/oklahoma-sooners-confused-talks-big-12-network

LAWTON, Okla. -- Oklahoma officials say they don't understand how a proposed Big 12 Network could work considering that Texas already has an independent channel and the Sooners are working on one of their own.
University president David Boren told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Oklahoma still plans to form its own network and that he was surprised the Big 12 went public with the consideration of a conference network. The same third-tier television rights control what would be aired on either a school's channel or a conference channel.

Oklahoma intends to keep those rights -- just as Texas has in creating its Longhorn Network through a 20-year, $300 million deal with ESPN.

So how could the Big 12 form a network without its two most powerful programs?

"I don't know because I don't see quite how the conference network would work," Boren told the AP. "I'm confused by that myself."

Athletic director Joe Castiglione said he, too, was caught off-guard when the Big 12 announced Monday that there were discussions by the league's board of directors about creating a "conference dedicated TV network."

"I really don't have the information to support why they made that statement," Castiglione said, noting that athletic directors weren't part of the board meeting. "It has not been broached, or at least not recently."

"Maybe they're trying to build a consensus or excitement and anticipation," he added. "I don't know."

If recent developments in the Big 12 have shown anything, it's that the conference -- which has had its membership in flux for the past year and a half -- still seems to be in a state of confusion.

A U.S. senator from West Virginia issued a statement Wednesday suggesting an investigation might be necessary after the Mountaineers believed they had been extended an invitation to join the Big 12, only to find out that wasn't the case and Louisville might instead be targeted.

Even internally, there seem to be some mixed signals in the league.

"My understanding is that schools that have their own network, such as the Longhorn Network, that would continue to exist and that the other schools would just bundle their third-tier rights collectively and form their own channel representing multiple institutions," league spokesman Bob Burda said.

Many of the league's schools, including Oklahoma, already air their third-tier programming on the Internet or on television -- just not on a network dedicated solely to one school. That includes games from football, men's basketball and other sports that aren't picked up through the league's contracts with ABC/ESPN or Fox Sports.

"Well, a conference network is to offset the Longhorn Network. But I saw the Sooners, I saw where they said they'd do their own network," Oklahoma State booster T. Boone Pickens said.
"I don't know how this thing is going to turn out."

Boren said that Big 12 schools are in the process this week of signing and sending in their agreements to provide the conference their grant of television rights -- a move that would allow the league to keep a school's television revenue even if it leaves for another conference.

Boren refused to comment on the reports surrounding West Virginia and Louisville, including ones that linked him to conversations with Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell.

Pickens said he had a "long conversation" with McConnell on Wednesday morning, discussing his natural gas-oriented energy plan. He also said he'd have to "be convinced on West Virginia" as a potential new member of the conference.

"To me, you go out of here to West Virginia, you're going to go a long way," Pickens said. "I didn't like the Pac-10 for that reason. That's the only reason. I feel like the Pac-10 you were going to end up in the east division and play the same schools you played before, so why not just hold the 12 together?

"I still believe we can save the Big 12, but I still say that Texas is going to have to look like the rest of us in the Big 12 instead of looking like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I don't like that."
Pickens said the key is equal revenue sharing.

"Just get the same contract for everybody. Everybody's equal," Pickens said. "If you'd have had that, you wouldn't have lost the (Texas A&M) Aggies, you wouldn't have lost Nebraska and Colorado and it looks like Missouri's going. But it's because things are not equal is what it is."

Oklahoma State president Burns Hargis said he still hopes Missouri won't leave for the Southeastern Conference, but that feeling is dwindling.

"Honestly, I don't have a lot of confidence," Hargis told the AP. "I think it's gone on long enough that it'd be tough. But if they stay, that's great. If they leave, we'll figure something out. There's no shortage of teams interested in being in the Big 12."

Neither Hargis nor Boren would comment specifically on the West Virginia situation, except to say that the Big 12 has options. Boren steered around a question about a Kansas City Star report suggesting Texas supported West Virginia as a new Big 12 member while Oklahoma wanted Louisville.

"I can't confirm the accuracy or inaccuracy of that report. All I'd say is Texas and Oklahoma are working very well together right now," Boren said. "You can draw your conclusions from that.
"I know of no differences of opinion we have on any subject without saying who's for who and what's for what, but we're working very well together right now. All the members of the board are. So, we're just trying to sort it out."

One thing is certain: Hargis said if Missouri does leave, "we'll definitely replace them."

"I think we'd probably initially do 10 (members)," said Hargis, who is chairman of the Big 12 board of directors and sits on the expansion committee. "But that doesn't mean we won't go to 12."

|Zach|
10-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Wow, who's on first?

dirk digler
10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Texas has its own network and the Sooners now are going to do one of their own. I guess the rest of the conference is sol

KcMizzou
10-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Mizzou, you know what to do... GTFO.

rageeumr
10-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Wright's show is better

Word.

St. John and Bukaty > fucking Fescoe.

And this, too.

Trevo_410
10-26-2011, 11:05 PM
i apologize if this is a stupid question because i don't listen to sports radio that much but, it seems the only kc radio host, even the majority of the media, are percieved kU/kstate(fescoe/KK) homers or in between(wright, who is my usual favorite when i do listen). Is there any radio host that "favors" mizzou at all in kc?

KcMizzou
10-26-2011, 11:12 PM
i apologize if this is a stupid question because i don't listen to sports radio that much but, it seems the only kc radio host, even the majority of the media, are percieved kU/kstate(fescoe/KK) homers or in between(wright, who is my usual favorite when i do listen). Is there any radio host that "favors" mizzou at all in kc?Steven St. John is a Mizzou guy. He hosts the "Border Patrol" with Nate Bukaty (KU guy) on 810 for the morning drive.

But yeah, that's it.

Bambi
10-26-2011, 11:31 PM

This is why seeing you MU fans leave is good thing.

What a weirdo you are.

eazyb81
10-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Tommy Tubberville recommends......

Drumroll please........................

Tulane and San Diego State.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2011/10/texas_tech_football_coach_tomm.html

LMAO

DeezNutz
10-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Tommy Tubberville recommends......

Drumroll please........................

Tulane and San Diego State.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2011/10/texas_tech_football_coach_tomm.html

LMAO

Seriously, someone should shoulder tap this fool and tell him to keep his fucking mouth shut. Right now, it's imperative for the Big XII to work to reaffirm its brand name, and West-Texas dipshit is talking Tulane and San Diego State? If the current commissioner weren't 98, he should be looking to put a foot in Tommy's ass.

eazyb81
10-27-2011, 07:18 AM
LAWTON, Okla. -- Oklahoma officials say they don't understand how a proposed Big 12 Network could work considering that Texas already has an independent channel and the Sooners are working on one of their own.

University president David Boren told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Oklahoma still plans to form its own network and that he was surprised the Big 12 went public with the consideration of a conference network. The same third-tier television rights control what would be aired on either a school's channel or a conference channel.

Oklahoma intends to keep those rights -- just as Texas has in creating its Longhorn Network through a 20-year, $300 million deal with ESPN.

So how could the Big 12 form a network without its two most powerful programs?

"I don't know because I don't see quite how the conference network would work," Boren told the AP. "I'm confused by that myself."

Athletic director Joe Castiglione said he, too, was caught off-guard when the Big 12 announced Monday that there were discussions by the league's board of directors about creating a "conference dedicated TV network."

"I really don't have the information to support why they made that statement," Castiglione said, noting that athletic directors weren't part of the board meeting. "It has not been broached, or at least not recently."

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

God I can't wait to leave this conference.

evenfall
10-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Texas wants WV, OU wants Louisville. Nobody else's opinion matters.

Texas wants their own tv network. OU wants their own tv network. Nobody else's opinion matters.

Just sit down and play the Washington Generals like you are supposed to...

duncan_idaho
10-27-2011, 08:49 AM
This is why Missouri is leaving NOW rather than waiting. Waiting for this mess to finally blow up for the last time opens up the option that Texas or OU will go somewhere while bringing little brother along with them.

kstater
10-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Petty infighting doesn't happen in any other conference. See Missouri to the East.

duncan_idaho
10-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Petty infighting doesn't happen in any other conference. See Missouri to the East.

Yes, because the SEC made a statement about a key topic that was then publicly contradicted by the athletic director of one of the schools, who said the statement probably was just intended to create some buzz.

SEC athletic directors schedule press conferences OVER the press conference of the chairman of the SEC, and contradict what the chairman is saying.

SEC presidents get involved with state senators about who is coming to the SEC, and then GO ON RECORD about those conversations.

Yeah, totally the same thing.

Saul Good
10-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Fantastic comparison other than the fact that Mizzou will be approved unanimously and without a Senatorial investigation.

Reaper16
10-27-2011, 09:26 AM
That's not really petty though. That's more practical infighting.

|Zach|
10-27-2011, 09:32 AM
These must be the ones Wickedson feels really sad for...

Mellinger talks to some Missouri fans while he is in STL.

Just for kicks, and because rain gave us another day to appreciate what’s been a fantastic baseball postseason, I asked three people here what they thought of Missouri and the SEC.

None of them cared.

The strongest opinion came from Dave, who works at the hotel where I’m staying.

“Why would anyone want to stay in that league (the Big 12)?”

Read more: http://mellinger.kansascity.com/entries/ambiguous-place-michael-beasley-and-st-louis-perspective-mizzou-and-sec/#ixzz1bzZANYFA

|Zach|
10-27-2011, 09:34 AM
McMurphyCBS Brett McMurphy
Because of messy, awkward situation, Big 12 will let WVU in Big 12 in odd years & UL in even years. Or something like that

|Zach|
10-27-2011, 09:42 AM
On Tuesday, the Big 12 Board of Directors met on a conference call, and the expected result was to approve West Virginia’s invitation into the conference.

The Big 12 was prepared to send a delegation, led by interim commissioner Chuck Neinas, to Morgantown, W.Va., for a ceremony.

But during the call, some sentiment was expressed for Louisville — like West Virginia, a member of the Big East.

A source familiar with the call told The Star that Oklahoma supported Louisville, while most others, including Texas, favored West Virginia. And the board went into the meeting with the idea of inviting only one.

Also on the table, according to a source, was grant-of-rights. Texas favors six years, Oklahoma at least 10. Boren was willing to give in on the reduced grant-of-rights in exchange for support for Louisville.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/26/3231636/now-its-political-football-in.html#storylink=omni_popular#ixzz1bzeDYpRX

eazyb81
10-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Pitino actually makes a good point here. It is stupid to try and save the football image of the Big East. Why not embrace what the conference truly is and push for great basketball programs?

All along I've though ku would be a very good fit for such a conference. Would ku fans be interested?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7152103/rick-pitino-louisville-cardinals-big-east-add-memphis-tigers-temple-owls

Louisville oach Rick Pitino is actively lobbying the Big East Conference and its member schools to add Memphis and Temple for basketball, regardless of whether the Big East adds Central Florida, Houston or SMU.

Pitino said Wednesday that he has expressed his opinion to Big East commissioner John Marinatto and wants the league to seriously consider raising the basketball profile of the conference during the turbulent period of realignment.

Pitino said the Big East has to combat the ACC's move of taking away two of the league's best basketball programs in Syracuse and Pittsburgh, and then possibly the Big 12's desire to take West Virginia, if the Mountaineers end up replacing Missouri -- a potential SEC member -- in the Big 12 Conference.

Saul Good
10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Pitino actually makes a good point here. It is stupid to try and save the football image of the Big East. Why not embrace what the conference truly is and push for great basketball programs?

All along I've though ku would be a very good fit for such a conference. Would ku fans be interested?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7152103/rick-pitino-louisville-cardinals-big-east-add-memphis-tigers-temple-owls

So Pitino's idea is to make the Big East a powerful basketball conference with lousy football? Isn't that what the Big East has been for years?

eazyb81
10-27-2011, 09:58 AM
So Pitino's idea is to make the Big East a powerful basketball conference with lousy football? Isn't that what the Big East has been for years?

I think the point is to mail in football and focus on adding basketball kings to help add league value.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 10:00 AM

It took a day and got resolved.

Near as I can tell, it didn't involve the United States Senate or contradicting public statements by key members of the respective Universities.

You fellas really should just bow out right now - the XII is a fucking mess. Maybe you can come back in 2 years and show how awesome it is and how great things are without us, but you folks are trying to prop up a 2-legged stool at this very moment.

epitome1170
10-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I think the point is to mail in football and focus on adding basketball kings to help add league value.

Exactly so now they won't have to act like they have a football conference at all.

KChiefs1
10-27-2011, 10:02 AM

Why Connecticut, Cincinnati & WVU have made BCS bowls.

Frazod
10-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Why Connecticut, Cincinnati & WVU have made BCS bowls.

I'm assured by every beaker in Kansas that this makes these teams TRULY GREAT POWERHOUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!1111

Pants
10-27-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm assured by every beaker in Kansas that this makes these teams TRULY GREAT POWERHOUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!1111

No, you're not. We just laugh at you because you never got into one, much less won one. :thumb:

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 10:14 AM
It took a day and got resolved.

Near as I can tell, it didn't involve the United States Senate or contradicting public statements by key members of the respective Universities.

You fellas really should just bow out right now - the XII is a ****ing mess. Maybe you can come back in 2 years and show how awesome it is and how great things are without us, but you folks are trying to prop up a 2-legged stool at this very moment.

WVU was the one who "IT'S PATTERSON!'D" themselves. The Big 12 didn't announce a press conference...

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
WVU was the one who "IT'S PATTERSON!'D" themselves. The Big 12 didn't announce a press conference...

No, they just decided to let cronyism fuck up an agreement the XII had reached when Mitch McConnell called his old Senate buddy and tried to leverage his school into the conference.

It's screwed up any way you stack it.

Saul Good
10-27-2011, 10:23 AM
No, they just decided to let cronyism **** up an agreement the XII had reached when Mitch McConnell called his old Senate buddy and tried to leverage his school into the conference.

It's screwed up any way you stack it.

Good luck convincing a KU fan that shady backroom deals are a bad thing.

Frazod
10-27-2011, 10:31 AM
No, you're not. We just laugh at you because you never got into one, much less won one. :thumb:

And we laugh right back at you knowing your "crowning achievement" *snicker* was an overblown joke. :thumb:

Pants
10-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Good luck convincing a KU fan that shady backroom deals are a bad thing.

What shady backroom deal is taking place now? Are you talking about two Senators trying to speak up on behalf of the schools they're connected to?

Pants
10-27-2011, 10:36 AM
And we laugh right back at you knowing your "crowning achievement" *snicker* was an overblown joke. :thumb:

That's fine. You can laugh in your bitterness all you want, it doesn't change the fact that we have that trophy. Just don't go around saying that you've been assured by all these beaker fans that winning a BCS bowl game once makes you a truly great powerhouse.

Frazod
10-27-2011, 10:40 AM
That's fine. You can laugh in your bitterness all you want, it doesn't change the fact that we have that trophy. Just don't go around saying that you've been assured by all these beaker fans that winning a BCS bowl game once makes you a truly great powerhouse.

What? You mean backing into a BCS game because you didn't beat anybody worth a shit all year long isn't a mark of greatness? It's so confusing following beaker logic.

Saul Good
10-27-2011, 10:41 AM
What shady backroom deal is taking place now? Are you talking about two Senators trying to speak up on behalf of the schools they're connected to?

The WV senator is calling for an investigation. He seems to think something underhanded is happening.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 10:44 AM

You mean the one where one Senator called the President of a major university who he just happened to be old Senate buddies with and tried to get him to essentially extort the XII into changing a previously agreed upon position?

That one?

It's not like McConnel issued a press-release here touting the advantages of Louisville. He called his old Senate pal, went under the radard and tried to get him to strongarm the conference into fucking over an entire state.

Yeah, I'd say that qualifies as a shady backroom deal.

Then again, Saul makes a valid point. I guess it doesn't count if someone doesn't end up with some stolen workout equipment in the deal - ammirite?

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 10:47 AM
You are all putting an awful lot of trust in the media. None of us were in the room or on the phone.

Saul Good
10-27-2011, 10:51 AM

In a few years, you can show that trophy to your non-AQ conferencemates. It will serve as a reminder of how you got there and why its your own fault.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 10:51 AM
You are all putting an awful lot of trust in the media. None of us were in the room or on the phone.

Yet you're certain that MU signed a commitment to the XII last season after Nebraska and Colorado left, eh? I suppose you were in the room that time, right?

Oh wait, that was Bowen Loftin, and he actually expressly stated that Missouri refused to commit to anything.

You're not very good at this.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Why are you all suddenly believing the media knows the whole story and reports the truth? If that was the case MU left for B1G last year and BYU is in the Big 12. And Jay Nixon singlehandedly pushed MU into the SEC.....sounds a lot like a certain senator.

But don't let your agenda steer your perception....

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Why are you all suddenly believing the media knows the whole story and reports the truth? If that was the case MU left for B1G last year and BYU is in the Big 12. And Jay Nixon singlehandedly pushed MU into the SEC.....sounds a lot like a certain senator.

Because there are actual Senators that are calling for hearings to corroborate said reports. There were actual scheduled press-conferences cancelled that further corroborate same.

As opposed to KK, who pretty much just makes shit up as he goes and changes it day to day.

The old school media rules were you try to get 3 sources on a story. Those have gone out the window for the media, but it's still a pretty sound rule. We have a widely reported story, a cancelled press conference and a US Senator calling for an investigation; yeah, I'd say that qualifies as 3 solid sources.

But hey, don't let your idiocy steer your argument.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Yet you're certain that MU signed a commitment to the XII last season after Nebraska and Colorado left, eh? I suppose you were in the room that time, right?

Oh wait, that was Bowen Loftin, and he actually expressly stated that Missouri refused to commit to anything.

You're not very good at this.

MU has publicly and REPEATEDLY said since CU and NU left that they were proud and happy members of the Big 12.

And I haven't seen ANYTHING that explicitly stated MU refused anything, just that 3 schools had reservations.

Saul Good
10-27-2011, 10:56 AM

What DJ is saying is being borne out right in front of us. What you've claimed has been systematically refuted by everyone involved.

Saul Good
10-27-2011, 11:00 AM
MU has publicly and REPEATEDLY said since CU and NU left that they were proud and happy members of the Big 12.

And I haven't seen ANYTHING that explicitly stated MU refused anything, just that 3 schools had reservations.

If Missouri signed something, where are the new bylaws? Holy shit, there's no way you possibly believe that Mizzou signed onto some new contract. Nobody is that stupid.

|Zach|
10-27-2011, 11:00 AM
LMAO

|Zach|
10-27-2011, 11:01 AM

Well if you can read you did read something that said they refused to sign a commitment.

Sounds like quite a lot of action by non action.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Because there are actual Senators that are calling for hearings to corroborate said reports. There were actual scheduled press-conferences cancelled that further corroborate same.

As opposed to KK, who pretty much just makes shit up as he goes and changes it day to day.

The old school media rules were you try to get 3 sources on a story. Those have gone out the window for the media, but it's still a pretty sound rule. We have a widely reported story, a cancelled press conference and a US Senator calling for an investigation; yeah, I'd say that qualifies as 3 solid sources.

But hey, don't let your idiocy steer your argument.

Those senators are just butthurt. :p

And if you REALLY think that qualifies as 3 solid sources you're a moron.

Tons of widely reported stories have proven false.
No one has any clue what the news conference was for....it could have been to announce a Big 12 move, but that could have been premature on WVUs part - in fact I'd say that since the final vote had obviously not been taken, it WAS premature.
And of course WVU's senator is raising a stink. He gets touted as the hero and "man of the people" through all of this. And eventually the story will peter out and he'll spend less on his re-election campaign.

I've lived through "It's Patterson!". I know the real story behind it, and it's not good. But I also know the media jumped the gun and ruined the deal - and that's probably the same thing that happened here.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 11:03 AM

Then you haven't read much.

Loftin expressly stated that MU was one of the 3 schools that refused to commit to the conference.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
If Missouri signed something, where are the new bylaws? Holy shit, there's no way you possibly believe that Mizzou signed onto some new contract. Nobody is that stupid.

Where did I say they signed anything?

I said they were in the meetings in 2010, and they have continued to state publicly until October 2011 that they were proud and happy members of the Big 12.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Those senators are just butthurt. :p

And if you REALLY think that qualifies as 3 solid sources you're a moron.

Tons of widely reported stories have proven false.
No one has any clue what the news conference was for....it could have been to announce a Big 12 move, but that could have been premature on WVUs part - in fact I'd say that since the final vote had obviously not been taken, it WAS premature.
And of course WVU's senator is raising a stink. He gets touted as the hero and "man of the people" through all of this. And eventually the story will peter out and he'll spend less on his re-election campaign.

I've lived through "It's Patterson!". I know the real story behind it, and it's not good. But I also know the media jumped the gun and ruined the deal - and that's probably the same thing that happened here.

You're right - your scenario is far more likely.

I was foolish to think that the schools that have been at each others throats off and on for months and have been looking for ways to better-deal their conference for over a year were engaged in underhanded conduct that could undermine conference unity.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Then you haven't read much.

Loftin expressly stated that MU was one of the 3 schools that refused to commit to the conference.

source?

The only public statement I've read from Loftin is this

Q: Did you feel uncomfortable that Texas was trying to persuade A&M to tag along with it to the Pac-10?
Loftin: Clearly we weren’t driving the train. We were passengers at best, and that was a concern. You don’t want to have your destiny usurped by someone else. We slowed things down, and there was political pressure to not allow the Big 12 to dissolve. As we got to the early June meeting of the Big 12 board in Kansas City, (Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe) had all the presidents, chancellors and all the athletic directors in one room. There were 24 of us there, plus Beebe and a few of his staff. Beebe polled the board and said he wanted us to declare whether we were committed to the Big 12 or not.
Three schools didn’t commit at that point, and the answer I gave was different from everyone else’s. I said that A&M was committed to the Big 12 as it is today. I chose those words very carefully. Since then, I have been accused of being a liar because I committed based on a 12-team conference as it was structured in June 2010. I said my words very carefully because I was not going to set myself into a situation where the conference was radically changed and we would be committed to being in a conference we didn’t really want to be a part of.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 11:08 AM
You're right - your scenario is far more likely.

I was foolish to think that the schools that have been at each others throats off and on for months and have been looking for ways to better-deal their conference for over a year were engaged in underhanded conduct that could undermine conference unity.

I never said it DIDN'T happen, just that you are in an awful big hurry to condemn the Big 12 for it. I think WVU is largely at fault for jumping the gun.

And as evidenced by his statements, the Senator has no clue what REALLY happened, only that it was reported that McCallan had a hand in it. It's also being reported that the runway at Morgantown is too short, and that's the reason for the holdup.....you believe that too?

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 11:08 AM

He makes a good point - he doesn't appear to be stupid enough to suggest that Mizzou signed anything.

He's just stupid enough to ignore every tenant of contract law and try to argue that some oral statements which don't even begin to constitute the necessary elements of a contract are in some way binding on a University. And that's not even addressing the agency law issues whereby an individual who had no authority to actually bind the university made said statements.

He's pretty stupid, but lets go ahead and accurately identify why he's stupid.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 11:11 AM
source?

"I said, 'Texas A&M is committed to the Big 12 as it is today.' That was a very important thing for me to say, because I didn't want to commit to something I had no idea what it was going to be."

Especially after three schools, Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri, didn't give commitments, he said.

"I understood that. It didn't bother me, exactly. But I wasn't about to commit my institution to something I didn't understand," he said, adding, "If you begin shaving off this member and that member, and others come and go, then what do you have?"

Like I said - some of you folks really need to work on reading posts you didn't actually write. It would help your arguments a great deal if you could educate yourselves a little more.

|Zach|
10-27-2011, 11:11 AM
source?

"I said, 'Texas A&M is committed to the Big 12 as it is today.' That was a very important thing for me to say, because I didn't want to commit to something I had no idea what it was going to be."

Especially after three schools, Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri, didn't give commitments, he said."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/article_1664529b-38fa-5437-98bb-37c6c71fc3ad.html#ixzz1bxOB4RKY

Pants
10-27-2011, 11:12 AM
What? You mean backing into a BCS game because you didn't beat anybody worth a shit all year long isn't a mark of greatness? It's so confusing following beaker logic.

We beat pretty good OSU and ATM teams and then VT of course. It was great. I hope you experience watching MU in a BCS bowl sometime. Beaker logic is very simple: we played in the Orange Bowl and won and have a trophy to show for it. Your sour grapes about how we "backed into it" just makes it that much sweeter.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 11:12 AM
He makes a good point - he doesn't appear to be stupid enough to suggest that Mizzou signed anything.

He's just stupid enough to ignore every tenant of contract law and try to argue that some oral statements which don't even begin to constitute the necessary elements of a contract are in some way binding on a University. And that's not even addressing the agency law issues whereby an individual who had no authority to actually bind the university made said statements.

He's pretty stupid, but lets go ahead and accurately identify why he's stupid.

where am I arguing that anything is binding? My argument has simply been that YOU want to let MU off the hook because NU and CU left. My argument is simply that MU has repeatedly publicy stated they are happy members of the conference, including after NU and CU left. That takes a lot of wind out of their sails that they are damaged and owe less buyout.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I never said it DIDN'T happen, just that you are in an awful big hurry to condemn the Big 12 for it. I think WVU is largely at fault for jumping the gun.

And as evidenced by his statements, the Senator has no clue what REALLY happened, only that it was reported that McCallan had a hand in it. It's also being reported that the runway at Morgantown is too short, and that's the reason for the holdup.....you believe that too?

Uh...McConnell. Mitch McConnell. He's only the Senate Minority leader and I believe Caucus chair. He's kindof a big deal.

You really do a lot to undermine your credibility in these things when you can't even get the man's name straight. I'm sure the position you're taking here is one crafted from a great deal of research and insight on the matter.

Go ahead and keep defending the conduct of the home conference here if you'd like, but you may want to actually learn a little bit about what it is you're defending first.

|Zach|
10-27-2011, 11:14 AM
where am I arguing that anything is binding? My argument has simply been that YOU want to let MU off the hook because NU and CU left. My argument is simply that MU has repeatedly publicy stated they are happy members of the conference, including after NU and CU left. That takes a lot of wind out of their sails that they are damaged and owe less buyout.

It doesn't.

You know who else were happy members of the Big 12? Nebraska and Colorado.

Until they weren't.

SPchief
10-27-2011, 11:16 AM
butthurt

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 11:16 AM

No, it really doesn't impact their legal standing even a tiny little bit.

It means precisely dick.

Pants
10-27-2011, 11:17 AM
You mean the one where one Senator called the President of a major university who he just happened to be old Senate buddies with and tried to get him to essentially extort the XII into changing a previously agreed upon position?

That one?

It's not like McConnel issued a press-release here touting the advantages of Louisville. He called his old Senate pal, went under the radard and tried to get him to strongarm the conference into ****ing over an entire state.

Yeah, I'd say that qualifies as a shady backroom deal.

Then again, Saul makes a valid point. I guess it doesn't count if someone doesn't end up with some stolen workout equipment in the deal - ammirite?

Yeah, that's not really a shady deal, bro. That's just a friend calling a friend for a favor. McConnel wants UoL in the Big12, he calls his friend to make a case for the school. Not sure how that translates to all you said, but then again, you guys are and have been huge fucking drama queens about all of this.

As a fan, I want both UoL and WVU in the conference. I realize that might not be financially wise for the league, though, so I trust they will do what's best.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Especially after three schools, Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri, didn't give commitments, he said."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/article_1664529b-38fa-5437-98bb-37c6c71fc3ad.html#ixzz1bxOB4RKY

Fair enough, that is a new article to me.

But obviously that lack of commitment was BEFORE NU and CU left. We don't have any knowledge of the position of MU afterwards except the repeated public statements that they were happy and proud members of the Big 12. They may well have not committed, but to my knowledge we don't have any proof.

At any rate, this whole argument has just been about the exit fees. There is no doubt a deal will be cut. I don't think CU and NU's fees matter - the situation is different. When NU and CU left there were 10 teams (required by the tv contract), so there was less damage if they left. Now, if the Big 12 wants to play hardball they can argue that MU leaving breaches the tv contract and that incurs more damage to the remaining conference.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Uh...McConnell. Mitch McConnell. He's only the Senate Minority leader and I believe Caucus chair. He's kindof a big deal.

You really do a lot to undermine your credibility in these things when you can't even get the man's name straight. I'm sure the position you're taking here is one crafted from a great deal of research and insight on the matter.

Go ahead and keep defending the conduct of the home conference here if you'd like, but you may want to actually learn a little bit about what it is you're defending first.

:rolleyes: pardon me for just having read a post about McCallan scotch. How dare I have a brain fart.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah, that's not really a shady deal, bro. That's just a friend calling a friend for a favor. McConnel wants UoL in the Big12, he calls his friend to make a case for the school. Not sure how that translates to all you said, but then again, you guys are and have been huge fucking drama queens about all of this.

As a fan, I want both UoL and WVU in the conference. I realize that might not be financially wise for the league, though, so I trust they will do what's best.

What?!?!?

A friend calling a friend for a favor? That's what I do when I ask my buddy to feed my dog when I'm late from work.

This was a United States Senator calling a former United States Senator and President of a major land-grant (state subsidized) University and asking him to leverage his position as President of said University to adversely impact a state of millions of people.

Did he have to ask to have someone killed in order for it to constitute a shady deal? What the hell is shady in your world?

|Zach|
10-27-2011, 11:21 AM
http://outkickthecoverage.com/big-12-bylaws-on-leaving-.php

As Texas A&M's official notice of departure from the Big 12 grows closer talk has shifted to what exactly the exit fees may be for the Aggies. And the answer to that question is a Facebook-centric -- it's complicated. That's because the lawyers who drafted the exit provisions of the Big 12 bylaws should be summarily executed. It's incredibly difficult to figure out what is and is not owed under this framework and the payouts aren't very substantial. That's what OKTC has learned from a close examination of the Big 12 bylaws.

That's the reason that Nebraska and Colorado were able to escape the conference by paying pennies on the dollar.

It's possible these bylaw terms were drafted in such a way to be intentionally vague. That is, everyone who read this language recognized that it was impossible to know exactly what was expected of them in the event of dissolution. Hence every school entered into this agreement with the understanding that what they were agreeing to wasn't entirely certain. It's also possible that these bylaws once made sense and then when 12 schools pored over the document and inserted their own language that was supposed to clarify things it actually made it more complex.

Finally, it's possible that no one ever expected for a school to want to leave the Big 12. What isn't in dispute is that these bylaws are a mess.

Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin already referred to this bylaws as "confusing," and he wasn't lying. Read the language for yourself and then we'll discuss that language in greater detail after you're finished. But be prepared to read these provisions a dozen or more times to really understand what the heck is going on.

Here are the Big 12 bylaws in full.

Below is the provision that deals with dissolution. (Where it exists, I've added the bold. )

SECTION 3

DURATION

3.1 Membership.

Each Member Institution shall remain a member of the Conference until July 1, 2006 (the “Current Term”) and during any Additional Term (as defined below). Unless a Member Institution gives written notice that it will withdraw from the Conference at the end of the Current Term or the then-current Additional Term to all other Member Institutions and the Conference (a “Notice”) not less than two (2) years before the end of the Current Term or the then-current Additional Term, as the case may be, each Member Institution shall remain a member of the Conference for an additional five-year period after the end of the Current Term or the then-current Additional Term, as the case may be (each, an “Additional Term”) unless such member is a Breaching Member. Each Member Institution agrees that in the event such Member desires to withdraw from the Conference, that it will in good faith give Notice not less than two (2) years before the end of the Current Term or any Additional Term, as the case may be. No Member Institution shall be entitled to distribution of the then-current revenues from the Conference after the effective date of its withdrawal, resignation, or the cessation of its participation in the Conference (the “Effective Date”).

3.2 Effect of Giving Notice.

If a Member Institution gives proper Notice pursuant to Section 3.1 (a “Withdrawing Member”), then the Members agree that such withdrawal would cause financial hardship to the remaining Member Institutions of the Conference, and that the financial consequences cannot be measured or estimated with certainty at this time. Therefore, in recognition of the obligations and responsibilities of each Member Institution to all other Member Institutions of the Conference, each Member Institution agrees that the amount of revenue that would have been otherwise distributable to a Withdrawing Member pursuant to Section 2 herein for the final two (2) years of the Current Term or the then current Additional Term, as the case may be, shall be reduced by fifty percent (50%), with the remainder to be distributed to the other Member Institutions who are not Withdrawing Members or Breaching Members (as defined below) as additional Conference revenues in accordance with Section 2 herein. The Member Institutions agree that such reduction in the amount of revenues distributed to a Withdrawing Member is reasonable and shall be in the form of liquidated damages and not be construed as a penalty.

3.3 Effect of Withdrawal From Conference Other Than by Giving Proper Notice.

If, other than by giving a proper Notice pursuant to Section 3.1, a Member Institution (a “Breaching Member”) withdraws, resigns, or otherwise ceases to participate as a full Member Institution in full compliance with these Rules, or gives notice or otherwise states its intent to so withdraw, resign, or cease to participate in the future (a “Breach”), then the Member Institutions agree that such Breach would cause financial hardship to the remaining Member Institutions of the Conference, and that the financial consequences cannot be measured or estimated with certainty at this time. Therefore, in recognition of the obligations and responsibilities of each Member Institution to all other Member Institutions of the Conference, each Member Institution agrees that after such Breach, the amount of Conference revenue that would otherwise have been distributed or distributable to the Breaching Member during the two (2) years prior to the end of the Current Term or the then-current Additional Term, as the case may be, shall be reduced by an amount that equals the sum of the aggregate of such revenues times the following percentages (such sum being the “Aggregate Reduction”); if Notice is received less than two years but on or before eighteen months prior to the Effective Date, 70%; if Notice is received less than eighteen months but on or before twelve months prior to the Effective Date, 80%; if Notice is received less than twelve months but on or before six months prior to the Effective Date, 90%; or if Notice is received less than six months prior to the Effective Date, 100%.

After such Breach, none of the revenues that otherwise would be distributable to a Breaching Member shall be paid to the Breaching Member until the aggregate amount so withheld (the “Withheld Amounts”) equals the Aggregate Reduction; thereafter, all revenues that would otherwise have been distributable to the Breaching Member shall be so distributed. If the Withheld Amounts are less than the Aggregate Reduction, then the Member Institutions acknowledge and agree that the Conference shall assess such Breaching Member an amount that equals the difference of the Aggregate Reduction less the Withheld Amounts, and the Breaching Member agrees that on or prior to the Effective Date it shall repay to the Conference such amount from revenue that previously had been distributed to such Breaching Member. The Withheld Amounts and any such repayment of the difference of the Aggregate Reduction less the Withheld Amounts shall be distributed to the other Member Institutions who are not Withdrawing Members or Breaching Members as additional Conference revenues in accordance with Section 2 herein. The Member Institutions agree that such reduction in the distribution of revenues to a Breaching Member is reasonable.

Okay, what do we know?

1. You're supposed to give two years notice on withdrawal.

Clearly that isn't happening with Texas A&M. It also didn't happen with Nebraska and Colorado. My guess is that one reason Nebraska and Colorado got out cheaply was because they provided notice they were leaving prior to July 1, 2011 when a new five-year window opened. Could there be an argument that no payment is owed at all because of the requirement of a new five-year contract beginning in conjunction with the fact that the contract language in the additional term is predicated on the final two years when a team wouldn't be there to receive any money? (Read on to the end for why that legal theory could apply). I think so. So, in fact, did Nebraska's chancellor who said this upon settling his school's claim with the Big 12:

"Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman said he still believes he had a strong argument against giving up any money.

'I'm also cognizant of the risks associated with litigation. What I think is the law may not turn out to be the law,' he said. 'I'm disappointed, as an academic, that my curiosity about the legal claims won't be resolved. But when you look at everything, I think it made sense in this setting to get this behind us and avoid the risks of litigation.'"

Certainly the Big 12 believes that as well, it's why the league ultimately settled with Nebraska for $9.25 million and with Colorado for $6.86 million.

2. For some reason the Big 12 bylaws require a rolling five-year committment instead of a consistent committment to the league.

It would be interesting to know why this was decided. As is, the five-year additions make a clunky deal that much clunkier. Why? Because why do you need a five-year contract to begin anew each five years unless you also have the ability to choose against entering a new five-year agreement? That's what Nebraska and Colorado both argued.

Again, what's the benefit of five-year extensions as opposed to an existing term? The only reason I can think of is that some of these schools aren't allowed to bind themselves contractually for longer than five years. That seems incredibly stupid, but that's the only reason I can see for the added complexity of the bylaws.

If that was the only issue, you'd have a bad section of the deal, but you could live with it. The bigger issue comes when the payouts are spelled out.

3. No school is paying the full penalties for leaving because these bylaws are worded so poorly.

Again, maybe this was the intention. Maybe all 12 schools looked at this language and said, "Hell, we really won't pay much of a penalty to leave so we're not binding ourselves that much, anyway. Let's sign."

Or maybe no one actually did the math and realized the ticking time bomb in this deal that is explained in number five.

I'm far from an expert in math, but this year the Big 12 distributed $145 million to its member institutions. That's around $14.5 million per school. So the way I'm reading this contract the most the Big 12 could withhold from a member institution is around $14.5 million a year. (This number will grow, but not excessively).

But here's the rub, look at how this penalty provision is drafted, it requires a payment for a period when the school's are going to be gone already. (Again if I'm wrong in this let me know, but I don't think I am).

"if a member gives proper notice of two years, 50% of two year revenue" = $14.5 million (that's 50% of two year revenues)

"if Notice is received less than two years but on or before eighteen months prior to the Effective Date, 70%;" = $20.3 million

"if Notice is received less than eighteen months but on or before twelve months prior to the Effective Date, 80%;" = $23.2 million

"if Notice is received less than twelve months but on or before six months prior to the Effective Date, 90%"; = $26.1 million

"or if Notice is received less than six months prior to the Effective Date, 100%" = $29 million

Are you starting to see why Nebraska and Colorado got out of the Big 12 a year in advance of when most initially expected? The reality is that under the Big 12's bylaws the penalty for leaving doesn't really change very much based on when you provide notice once you miss the two-year window.

And it's never enough money to prevent someone from leaving.

This should be ominous indeed for whoever comes into the Big 12 next.

4. What will Texas A&M pay then?

Given that A&M has yet to provide notice and doubtless would like to be a part of the SEC for the 2012 season, it's clear that A&M would fall under this provision of the agreement: "if Notice is received less than twelve months but on or before six months prior to the Effective Date, 90%;"

So A&M is facing a penalty in the neighborhood of $26.1 million. Given that Nebraska and Colorado ultimately settled for much less than they would have been expected to pay, A&M could negotiate its way down even further. Trust me, there are even more aggressive negotiating positions A&M could take under these bylaws. I think they'll settle for something in the neighborhood of $12 million.

How do I get to this number? Nebraska and Colorado paid 47.6% of their contractual payout. If A&M did the same with its projected $26.1 million that would come to $12.4 million.

5. But if A&M really wanted to play legal hardball, it could argue that it owes nothing, not one dime.

How?

Look back at the liquidated damages provision of the bylaw for the true ticking time bomb: "each Member Institution agrees that the amount of revenue that would have been otherwise distributable to a Withdrawing Member pursuant to Section 2 herein for the final two (2) years of the Current Term or the then current Additional Term, as the case may be, shall be reduced by fifty percent (50%)."

Okay, that means the payment amount is actually going to come from 2015 and 2016, the final two years of the "Additional Term."

Only, you guessed it, A&M will be gone by then so it won't receive a dime of revenue from the Big 12 in 2015 or 2016.

So if you apply the above language, 90% x 0 = 0.

Uh oh.

Now, I don't think the legal argument would win -- most judges would probably apply the intended liquidated damages clause holding that the purpose of a liquidated damages clause is actually to have a liquidated damages clause -- but it's definitely yet another flaw in a tremendously flawed Big 12 agreement. And could a judge not be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to a huge entity that made this drafting mistake? Of course. That's a massive flaw in drafting.

A flaw that's so gigantic the Big 12 might not want to sue under the contract for fear of losing and providing notice to all members that the exit fee for the next couple of years is $0.

Regardless of the legal position adopted by A&M the money is not going to be very significant to the long range future of the Aggie program.

While these figures may not be exactly correct -- again, I'm far from an expert in math and already had to correct them once -- they're illustrative of a larger problem in the bylaws, namely, there isn't very much that keeps any Big 12 school in the conference.

If Texas or Oklahoma wants out, there's absolutely nothing that can keep either school in place. The buyout is a pittance. And if either school wanted to follow the Nebraska/Colorado argument come 2016, they could opt out of the agreement completely and argue they didn't owe any penalty at all. If you're a potential tenth school coming into the conference, that's worth knowing, no by law is currently in place that restricts anyone's movement.

So in summation, the Big 12 is still a dead conference walking. Only this dead conference can't even extract much of a penalty when the next member decides to follow Texas A&M and bolt for greener pastures.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 11:22 AM
I still believe OU is simply leveraging this to get to 12.

Pants
10-27-2011, 11:26 AM
What?!?!?

A friend calling a friend for a favor? That's what I do when I ask my buddy to feed my dog when I'm late from work.

This was a United States Senator calling a former United States Senator and President of a major land-grant (state subsidized) University and asking him to leverage his position as President of said University to adversely impact a state of millions of people.

Did he have to ask to have someone killed in order for it to constitute a shady deal? What the hell is shady in your world?

You're a such a drama queen, dude, it's hilarious. He's not doing it to adversely impact a state of millions of people, it's not some sinister fucking plot. Dude wants his school to be considered instead of WVU, which, I believe, is something we all wanted people in power who are connected to our schools to do during the conference armageddon.

eazyb81
10-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Mikey making a strong late push in the conference realignment doucheoff.

Frazod
10-27-2011, 11:30 AM
We beat pretty good OSU and ATM teams and then VT of course. It was great. I hope you experience watching MU in a BCS bowl sometime. Beaker logic is very simple: we played in the Orange Bowl and won and have a trophy to show for it. Your sour grapes about how we "backed into it" just makes it that much sweeter.

By "pretty good" I guess you mean "almost ranked"? LMAO

We beat KU. It was great. I wouldn't trade that for any overblown ESPN fruit basket.

Frazod
10-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Mikey making a strong late push in the conference realignment doucheoff.

So are Pants and I.

SCOREBOARD!
ORANGES!

This shit never gets old. :D

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 11:32 AM
You're a such a drama queen, dude, it's hilarious. He's not doing it to adversely impact a state of millions of people, it's not some sinister fucking plot. Dude wants his school to be considered instead of WVU, which, I believe, is something we all wanted people in power who are connected to our schools to do during the conference armageddon.

I'm sure you'll be singing the same tune when Harry Reid bends over backwards to keep KU out of the PAC, especially if he just calls some former Senate pal who's now the President at USC or something.

Your rationalization couldn't sound any more obvious here.

|Zach|
10-27-2011, 11:33 AM
So. The Big 12 was ready to take in WVU. They were about to travel to Morgantown and make the announcement.

We are talking about a huge decision of a large school moving to a power conference.

But then one golf buddy simply makes a call to his friend and is like. Hey, you should consider L'ville as well.

AND THE WHOLE TRAIN RUNS OF THE TRACKS.

But it wasn't shady.

Pants
10-27-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm sure you'll be singing the same tune when Harry Reid bends over backwards to keep KU out of the PAC, especially if he just calls some former Senate pal who's now the President at USC or something.

Your rationalization couldn't sound any more obvious here.

Of course I'd be mad if that happened. I'm also aware that any school's fanbase wants their powerful people to do everything they can to make sure said schools don't find themselves on the outside when the dust settles.

Pants
10-27-2011, 11:38 AM
So. The Big 12 was ready to take in WVU. They were about to travel to Morgantown and make the announcement.

We are talking about a huge decision of a large school moving to a power conference.

But then one golf buddy simply makes a call to his friend and is like. Hey, you should consider L'ville as well.

AND THE WHOLE TRAIN RUNS OF THE TRACKS.

But it wasn't shady.

Do you think schools secretly talking to other conferences is shady? LOL, don't be a child, Zach.

eazyb81
10-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Latest article from Clay Travis. He actually makes a pretty interesting proposal on how to solve the current Mizzou-WVU logjam (#3)

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/the-big-12-and-big-east--two-drunks-at-a-bar-trying-to-hook-up.php

The Big 12 and Big East = Two Drunks at a Bar Trying to Hook Up

Published on: October 27, 2011 | Written by: Clay Travis

The Big 12 and the Big East are like the two drunkest, most desperate people at the bar trying to hook up. It's never pretty. One day after it was clear that West Virginia was on the last helicopter out of the Big East Saigon, it suddenly wasn't clear at all after reported phone calls from Kentucky Senator Mitch McConnell to Oklahoma and Texas Tech leaders (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/27/sports/ncaafootball/big-12-may-admit-louisville-not-west-virginia.html?ref=sports). You knew at some point that truth would become stranger than fiction in the conference realignment mess. You just didn't expect for United States senators from West Virginia to make statements like these:

"If someone as U.S. Senator interfered after the process took place, then that's wrong and unacceptable," West Virginia's Senator Manchin said. "If a U.S. Senator has done anything inappropriate or unethical to interfere with a decision that the Big 12 had already made then I believe that there should be an investigation in the U.S. Senate."

And with these quotes the conference realignment male soap opera, turned into a script so insane even Latin American telenovellas would reject it as unbelievable.

At this point, there is only one logical conclusion to conference realignment: After a two year investigation Baylor president Ken Starr will be impeached for having an affair with an intern.

The Big 12 is the root cause of all of this mess. That conference's instability has led to every other conference's makeup changing in the past year. Consider for a moment the simple Big 12 math over this past year and a few months: 12-2-1+1-1+1 = ?

Who is the root cause of all this instability? Texas.

The Longhorns have bullied the rest of the conference so far that anyone with any power wants to leave. Only, you guessed it, no one can leave now. This conference is a bad reality show, CBS's Big Brother meets college sports. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State tried to leave but found out no one would take them. Somewhere Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Missouri have to be reading these headlines and doubling over in laughter.

You know how the 1972 Miami Dolphins undefeated team gets together every year and cracks open a bottle of champagne to celebrate? The schools that got out of the Big 12 -- Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Missouri -- should have an annual party where they break open a bottle of champagne and celebrate their disunion from the fundamentally broken Big 12.

Here are nine thoughts about the latest insanity:

1. How bad is the Big East?

West Virginia and Louisville are threatening to lead us into full on Senate investigations over an invite to a conference that anyone who can leave wants to leave already.

This is like fighting for an opportunity to board the Titanic.

Yep, the Big East is so unstable that people are trying to prolong their lives by boarding a ship that everyone knows is going to sink someday.

2. The Big 12 and the SEC are fighting over who is going to have the uneven schedules.

Missouri is the prize that balances out the hang-ups. I still believe Missouri will be in the SEC for 2012, but as time drags on this becomes more difficult to manage.

So the question hanging out there is this: Will the Big 12 have a nine team conference in 2012 or will the SEC have a 13 team conference in 2012? Both are problematic.

If the SEC has a 13 team conference then it has to apply for a NCAA waiver and play unbalanced division schedules that could end in disaster -- two undefeated division champs that never played in the SEC West.

Alternatively, if the Big 12 has just nine teams then every conference team has to add one out of conference game for 2012. With this short notice every school would have to pay a substantial sum -- likely $500k at minimum -- to round up opponents.

So Missouri's location in the 2012 season has become a plum prize.

3. Here's my compromise plan on behalf of the Big East, the SEC, and the Big 12.

In honor of the political establishment's involvement, we'll call it the Travis Compromise. This works particularly well since the reason I have the name Clay is because my grandfather, born in Kentucky, was named after Henry Clay, the great compromiser. So I'm following in my namesake's footsteps here.

The Travis Compromise:

a. Missouri comes to the SEC in 2012.
As a result of that departure Missouri owes the Big 12 in the neighborhood of $13 million as a buyout. (Texas A&M owes a similar sum).
The Big 12 pockets $26 million in buyout fees and the SEC doesn't have an unbalanced schedule to worry about.

b. West Virginia comes to the Big 12 in 2012.
The Big 12 gives $13 million, the Missouri buyout fee, to the Big East in exchange for the Big East waiving the 27 month exit fee requirement. That $13 million may sound like a lot of money, but when you consider that Big 12 schools would be on the hook for at least $6 million to buy games if they don't have 10 conference teams, it's actually a pretty good deal.

It also sets a precedent for the Big East -- if Pitt and Syracuse can come up with $13 million each, they can buy their way out of the 27 month exit fee as well. But that's in addition to the $5 million buyout. So each school would need to come up with $18 million to leave. If Pitt, Syracuse, and West Virginia all pay $18 million to leave that gives the Big East a windfall of $54 million which it can redistribute to the remaining Big East schools. As a part of the receipt of these distributions each remaining Big East school would sign a ten year guarantee to the league, which the league could then use to add new members.

South Florida, Cincinnati, Louisville, Connecticut and Rutgers would each receive $10 million and a guarantee that they'd remain in a BCS league alongside the new additions.

c. The SEC and the Big 12 agree to vote in favor of preserving the Big East's automatic bid when the next round of BCS negotiations arises.

Voila, an elegant compromise saves the day.

Congress is removed from the equation and everyone is happy. (The payments could be negotiated, but all three conferences win under this scenario.) You can easily see a way the Big East could extract the same promise to help protect its automatic qualifying bid from the ACC.

Remember, the single most important asset the Big East has is the automatic qualifying bid in the BCS. If the conference loses that it loses the ability to bring on new schools. So protecting that bid is the primary objective of the Big East.

4. For those of you who are surprised the Senate got involved, a Congressional anecdote.

I spent four years working in the Capitol while I was in college in Washington, D.C. One of my roles during those four years was giving tours of the Capitol. I'm a history buff so I picked up all the anecdotes I could to make my tour sparkle. One of them was this:

Just after the Civil War, the dome was completed and a massive chandelier was added to the Capitol. When they returned from recess and Congressional members saw it hanging there, the chandelier provoked an outrage. Member after member derided it as too ostentatious to hang in the Capitol. The scandal grew. Until an enterprising reporter found out where the real outrage was coming from:

Congressmen recognized the chandelier because it used to hang in D.C.'s highest end brothel.

So am I surprised that Senators are getting involved in realignment?
Nope.

5. Adding more than ten schools isn't an option right now.

Some of you are already emailing asking why the Big 12 can't add both Louisville and West Virginia. The answer is simple -- the TV money isn't there right now. Going above ten members means that every school in the Big 12 would make less money. Going to 11 also means you have to go to 12.

Unless ESPN and Fox agree to pay more money -- which ESPN certainly isn't going to do and I doubt Fox would do -- then the TV money is set. Recall that ESPN is already paying for a 12 team conference and agreed to pay the same amount for a ten team conference. So do you really think ESPN is going to agree to pay more money for an 11 team conference when it already bought a 12 team conference?

Nope.

Now, when the ESPN deal comes up in a couple of years expansion beyond ten may become viable. But not now.

Ten is going to be the number. Especially when you consider that in the past year the Big 12 has lost four of its six top television draws: Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Missouri have all been replaced by a quartet of vastly inferior television draws.

6. Why isn't the Big 12 considering Memphis?

I understand West Virginia, but I have no idea why the Big 12 would rather be in Louisville than Memphis.

It makes no sense.

The cities are roughly equal. (I'd give the nod to Memphis personally, but there's no great separation between the two).

Both are great basketball programs. Granted, Memphis's football program is presently awful, but it's in an incredibly fertile recruiting region. Lots of schools, I would think, would love to be able to recruit in Memphis. There are zero recruits in Kentucky for either football or basketball.

Plus, getting in to Memphis gets the Big 12 inside the SEC's footprint and limits the travel to a great degree. Every school would still be in the central time zone

It seems like a no brainer to me.

7. The Big East would give up Louisville in a heartbeat if it meant they got to keep West Virginia.

That's why half of me thinks that the Big East is actually encouraging this Louisville to the Big 12 talk. Anything to keep West Virginia, the only football program in the conference that anyone pays any attention to at all.

If Louisville left replacing them with Memphis would, it seems to me, be pretty close to an even trade.

Basically, Memphis has to end up in the Big East.

8. Why isn't Ken Starr still threatening to sue anyone?

Remember when Ken Starr was concerned about major conference expansion? Remember his threats to sue the SEC over Texas A&M's departure? Remember his insistence on keeping conference's geographically cohesive?

Now his conference is going to gut the Big East, fly hundreds of miles across multiple states, all to play either West Virginia or Louisville.
Everyone is looking out for their naked self interest. Everyone. That's why Ken Starr, in particular, is so full of crap.

9. Funniest suggestion for how to solve the West Virginia-Louisville battle? A teeth-off.

The fan base with the most teeth gets the Big 12 invite.

Given that Kentucky and West Virginia have the worst teeth in the United States -- this is an actual stat -- this has reality show written all over it.
It's like the biggest loser. Someone steps up to a dentist with their mouth closed and we all write down how many teeth we think they have. Then they open their mouth and the tally goes up on a screen.

To the victor goes the spoils. It's the electoral college of teeth.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 11:55 AM
I wonder if the Big East would waive the 27 month waiting period for Louisville if it meant WVU stayed.

That would give them 2 years to get their houses in order. Meanwhile the XII can re-visit WVU as an expansion candidate in 2014 when the current TV deal runs out.

Ugh....please Mizzou - just run. Run FAST. Get out of there before this whole thing goes nuts and you can't anymore.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 11:55 AM
I wonder if the Big East would waive the 27 month waiting period for Louisville if it meant WVU stayed.

That would give them 2 years to get their houses in order. Meanwhile the XII can re-visit WVU as an expansion candidate in 2014 when the current TV deal runs out.

Ugh....please Mizzou - just run. Run FAST. Get out of there before this whole thing goes nuts and you can't anymore.

eazyb81
10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
--Slive: "Our transition team is working on schedules for 13 and 14 (members). We’ll know when we know. There’s no timetable for us."

--Slive: "I know everybody is anxious to know where things stand with conference realignment, especially with all this activity out there ...

--More Slive: "... With respect to the SEC, I have really nothing new to add, at least at this time."

eazyb81
10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
--Slive: "Our transition team is working on schedules for 13 and 14 (members). We’ll know when we know. There’s no timetable for us."

--Slive: "I know everybody is anxious to know where things stand with conference realignment, especially with all this activity out there ...

--More Slive: "... With respect to the SEC, I have really nothing new to add, at least at this time."

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 01:02 PM

Alabama and LSU said so.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-27-2011, 01:12 PM
So are Pants and I.

SCOREBOARD!
ORANGES!

This shit never gets old. :D

B-B-B-Ballsack!

evenfall
10-27-2011, 01:34 PM
WV, Louisville, San Diego State, Tulane. Boom, outta here.

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 01:39 PM

We beat KU. It was great. I wouldn't trade that for any overblown ESPN fruit basket.

Sure you would. Then Mizzou would have actually won something in our lifetime.

KC_Connection
10-27-2011, 01:42 PM

We did beat Josh Freeman and Jordy Nelson on the road. They were ranked (at the time, anyway).

Pants
10-27-2011, 01:45 PM
We did beat Josh Freeman and Jordy Nelson on the road. They were ranked (at the time, anyway).

That OSU team was pretty stacked as well, IIRC. I could be wrong, though, it was a while ago.

KC_Connection
10-27-2011, 01:49 PM
That OSU team was pretty stacked as well, IIRC. I could be wrong, though, it was a while ago.
KSU had gone into Texas the previous week and won. It was a pretty big deal. But I think they fell apart down the stretch. OSU had Dez Bryant but no defense to speak of, IIRC. I don't remember thinking they'd be a huge threat to beat KU and they weren't. The closest they came to losing that season before Arrowhead was in Boulder.

Pitt Gorilla
10-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Mizzou needs to get the f out of this aids-ridden conference.

mnchiefsguy
10-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Time for the daily KK rant...today: Jay Nixon is the owner of the Mizzou Tigers, and it is his fault that KK's world is crashing down.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Time for the daily KK rant...today: Jay Nixon is the owner of the Mizzou Tigers, and it is his fault that KK's world is crashing down.

That's last week's rant. He's just recycling it because he needs to explain how this isn't really the IIX shitting all over itself again.

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Mizzou needs to get the f out of this aids-ridden conference.

yes please

mnchiefsguy
10-27-2011, 02:27 PM
That's last week's rant. He's just recycling it because he needs to explain how this isn't really the IIX shitting all over itself again.

Well, KK has been out of arguments for awhile. In addition, US Senators should not be watching college football games from luxury suites. That has contributed to the decline of college athletics.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 02:29 PM
yes please

Call your University President and convince them to let us off cheap and MU will be gone tomorrow.

Then again - it's not like anyone at the IIX listens to what KSU or KU have to say anyway, so that probably won't work.

Give DeLoss Doddes a call and see if you can get us off the hook....for old time's sake.

Pitt Gorilla
10-27-2011, 02:31 PM
yes pleaseI love how apt that analogy really is.

notorious
10-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Oh, Great, now we have a poll that will push all of you douches to be even bigger douches.

mnchiefsguy
10-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Oh, Great, now we have a poll that will push all of you douches to be even bigger douches.

Wickedson will still be a giant douche whether he wins the poll or not.

notorious
10-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Wickedson will still be a giant douche whether he wins the poll or not.

I bet he can elevate his douche for the big douche-off (again).

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Oh, I bet he can elevate his douche for the big douche-off (again).

I'm concerned that those that are late to the game may not get enough Stewie to realize just how much of a shoe-in for this prize he should be.

I hope he comes back soon; the voters need a reminder.

Wickedson is really getting an unfair rap here - Stewie is a WAY bigger douche than Wickedson. Wickedson is the Knowmo to Stewie's Dane. Wickedson's just a mindless homer whereas Stewie is absolutely dripping in useless information and smug superiority while being frequently inaccurate (and quite indignant when being informed of same).

This HAS to be Stewies prize.

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Call your University President and convince them to let us off cheap and MU will be gone tomorrow.

Then again - it's not like anyone at the IIX listens to what KSU or KU have to say anyway, so that probably won't work.

Give DeLoss Doddes a call and see if you can get us off the hook....for old time's sake.

Oh heck, it is so bad, you should just quit being cheap, and pay up.

Think of the future, and that extra 50 million you are going to get for just being in the same conference as Alabama, Fl and LSU.

After all, this will be one of the last times our boys get to stick it to you. Frank Martin and Bill Self need some new basketballs.

notorious
10-27-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm concerned that those that are late to the game may not get enough Stewie to realize just how much of a shoe-in for this prize he should be.

Wickedson is really getting an unfair rap here - Stewie is a WAY bigger douche than Wickedson. Wickedson is the Knowmo to Stewie's Dane. Wickedson's just a mindless homer whereas Stewie is absolutely dripping in useless information and smug superiority while being frequently inaccurate (and quite indignant when being informed of same).

Are Stewie and Dickheadson mults?

Frazod
10-27-2011, 02:39 PM

You're welcome. :evil:

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 02:40 PM
I love how apt that analogy really is.

ROFL Nice, good luck to you guys, seriously.

Grandma used to tell me, be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

But who knows? With a fresh start, Mizzou might do something they haven't done since I was pooping yellow.

KChiefs1
10-27-2011, 02:41 PM

No one in the Big Bevo gives 2 shits what those podunk universities think or do.

KChiefs1
10-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Well, KK has been out of arguments for awhile. In addition, US Senators should not be watching college football games from luxury suites. That has contributed to the decline of college athletics.

KK has lost his spin!

mnchiefsguy
10-27-2011, 02:44 PM
KK has a plethora of anti-SEC callers today. He has to run out of those eventually, right? There are only so many smoke and fire gift certs he can bribe callers with (behind the scenes)....

Bambi
10-27-2011, 02:45 PM

I'm just surprised so many people get so angry at things I say.

Shit man, I've only got like 3,500 or so posts...

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 02:45 PM
No one in the Big Bevo gives 2 shits what those podunk universities think or do.

Ok, we finally FLUSHED him out. No matter the post count, KChiefs1 should have an automatic 20 votes in Frazods poll.

**edit** he has 107 posts in the thread!!!!

mnchiefsguy
10-27-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm just surprised so many people get so angry at things I say.

Shit man, I've only got like 3,500 or so posts...

I don't think anyone gets angry, folks are just amused and the severe lack of logic and intelligence your posts contain.

Frazod
10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Sure you would. Then Mizzou would have actually won something in our lifetime.

Missouri won statehood in your lifetime. :D

Pants
10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Ok, we finally FLUSHED him out. No matter the post count, KChiefs1 should have an automatic 20 votes in Frazods poll.

I didn't even know that kid existed before this thread. He is one massive douchenozzle, though.

Al Bundy
10-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Are Stewie and Dickheadson mults?

Not a chance.

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Missouri won statehood in your lifetime. :D

Oh shit, but that would make even worse, correct? Was your Mom the home coming queen that year? :D

Al Bundy
10-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Hey Wickedson are you a Yankees fan?

Frazod
10-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Oh shit, but that would make even worse, correct? Was your Mom the home coming queen that year? :D

Yep, Mizzou had the first!

Bambi
10-27-2011, 02:51 PM
I don't think anyone gets angry, folks are just amused and the severe lack of logic and intelligence your posts contain.

Really?

I typical don't respond to people I find unintelligent.

Hence why I don't really know who you are.

I take it you're from Minnesota?

Pants
10-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Quit being a passive aggressive pussy. Oh wait, you can't help it.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Are you !@#$ing kidding me?

Cassandra, Mistress of the Dark, is now on Kietzman's show.

Gonna go listen to my Simmons Podcast now. Jesus, that's pathetic.

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 02:53 PM
I didn't even know that kid existed before this thread. He is one massive douchenozzle, though.

Yes he is, beyond any douchness wickedson or stewie have demonstrated.

But it is obvious there are more Mizzou fans on this board than KU/KState combined.

With that level of support, you would think they would have done something by now. :D

Bowser
10-27-2011, 02:53 PM

:facepalm:

mnchiefsguy
10-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Really?

I typical don't respond to people I find unintelligent.

Hence why I don't really know who you are.

I take it you're from Minnesota?

You must think I am a genius then, since you have responded to several of my posts. Of course, none of your responses had any value, but merely showed your ability to suck the chrome off of a Texas trailer hitch.

Bowser

But it is obvious there are more Mizzou fans on this board than KU/KState combined.

With that level of support, you would think they would have done something by now. :D

And miss the parade of waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh going on? Why should we? :evil:

mnchiefsguy

Question is, does she support Mizzou going to the SEC?

HemiEd
Yep, Mizzou had the first!

:) A source of much pride! Go Tigers!

KcMizzou
10-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Gonna go listen to my Simmons Podcast now. Jesus, that's pathetic.Heh, she's from Manhattan, Kansas.

kstater
10-27-2011, 02:56 PM
#Butthurt

http://sporting-ego.com/2011/10/27/missouri-be-careful-what-you-wish-for/

Because you just might get it. Specifically, you just might get it, the University of Missouri. With the allure of making the transition to the Southeastern Conference, Missouri has now jumped past Texas A&M into the lead for “Most short-sighted conference realignment move” in 2011. While Texas A&M at least has a generations-old National Championship to fall back on, as well as a nice big stadium, Missouri will enter the most powerful college football conference, at some point, presumably, with all the historical decorations and accomplishments of a thoroughbred race horse who finished out of the money in one too many races and ended up in the glue factory. Missouri officials and fans are confusing “winning realignment” with doing what is best for their school, their athletic department, and, most importantly, their football team, since that’s what all the 32-team super conference, Boise State to the Big East nonsense is all about. Yes, the same football team that is six games under .500 in the 15 year history of the Big 12, will now be entering a conference division that can claim 14 National Championships, or, two more championships than Missouri has bowl wins. Makes sense, right?

What is more valuable in college athletics, security or success? Missouri is putting its eggs in the basket of security, anticipating some sort enormous windfall at the expense of any future potential growth of its already flailing football program. While the promise of playing in the most visible, competitive, and history-laden conference will delivery an increase in revenue (which is the bottom line in Missouri’s eyes, regardless of how they try to spin the “instability” in the Big 12, the “instability” they themselves have created), Missouri will find out soon enough that they are a much smaller fish in a much bigger pond, most likely as soon as they take their first road trip to face Florida, Tennessee, or Georgia. By joining the SEC, Missouri will take an enormous step back in the visible, tangible things associated with college football. In terms of football budget, and overall athletic budget, Missouri would easily be in the bottom half, and most likely the bottom third of their new conference. When you can be lumped into a group, in football terms, with Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi, what exactly does that say about your perceived place in the pecking order? Faurot Field, a nice sized 71,004 seat stadium instantly becomes the 10<sup>th</sup> largest stadium in the SEC, or the 5<sup>th</sup> smallest. Not that it would matter the size of Missouri’s stadium, since they have trouble filling it with any regularity in the first place. Last week’s match-up with top 5 and potential BCS Championship game participant Oklahoma State drew 64,202, more than 6500 fans away from capacity. A better showing than the 58,000+ that made it for the season opener against Miami of Ohio, but a glaring indication of the overall lack of fervent support for the state’s only BCS university. Football is religion in the SEC, and Missouri would appear to be in the category of a convenient believer.
http://sporting-ego.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Gary-Pinkel.jpg (http://sporting-ego.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Gary-Pinkel.jpg) Gary Pinkel has been one of the loudest voices for MU to move to the SEC..

The most amazing thing about Missouri’s inflated sense of stature in today’s college football landscape is that their “meteoric rise” to power under head coach Gary Pinkel is predicated on winning the worst division college football has ever seen, the Big 12 North circa 2006-2008. In the 15 year history of the Big 12, Missouri has fielded a legit top 10 team in exactly one season, the 2007 squad that won the Big 12 North, only to get soundly beaten by Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship Game. That team, much like Missouri’s 2008 season, benefited from the rest of the Big 12 North employing the likes of Ron Prince, Bill Callahan, and Dan Hawkins, or, three coaches that will never be head coaches again at the FBS level. Throw in a slightly overrated Mark Mangino and a Cam Newton-less Gene Chizik, and Missouri’s amazing accomplishments appear to be more happenstance than anything that can be pointed at as a sign that the football program is ready to take a step up in competition. The 2011 season is showing a more realistic placing of where Missouri’s place, and Pinkel’s coaching, in the Big 12, as the previously mentioned unsuccessful coaches have since been replaced with coaches that know what they are doing, in most cases (except for Turner Gill). While Missouri is no longer the hapless program they were for years and year, to ignore the fact that Missouri has not won a conference title in football for more than 40 years, most years with a losing record, in the name of a few more dollars is a recipe for certain disaster.

Up to this point, programs such as Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas have not even been discussed, being as all signs point to Missouri being placed in the SEC East at the request of certain programs’ wishes to keep currently football rivalry games. Throw those four power universities in the mix, and it is becoming easy to see why the SEC would want a team like Missouri. The conference can increase their TV footprint, gaining a state with 6 million residents, while adding another patsy to the schedule. No BCS title hopeful team wants a schedule loaded with top 5 teams, and the SEC is no exception. The potential to add an easy conference win, while increasing the conference revenue, is a no-brainer. Somehow, the ego-driven administration at Missouri refuse to see this move for what it is and what it is not. What it is certainly not is a conference looking to add teams in the hope that they gained yet another top 10 program to add to the stable. Making things tougher for the Alabama’s, LSU’s, Florida’s, and Auburn’s of the world are not how the SEC accumulated all their accolades and accomplishments over the years. What it is is a university that fails to see the long-term impact of their constant desire to be the pretty girl that everybody wants to talk to, even though they don’t offer a whole lot of substance.

http://sporting-ego.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/finance039.jpg (http://sporting-ego.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/finance039.jpg) With MU moving to The SEC the Borderwar at Arrowhead Stadium is a thing of the Past..

By throwing away the chance to be competitive in a conference they helped start, Missouri is ignoring the flashing lights that point out the fatal flaws in their logic. They are too numerous to list in one column, but I‘m going to give it a shot. Recruiting in Texas will take a tremendous dip, due to no more regularly scheduled games in the state. The 12<sup>th</sup> most important rivalry in the country (if that), and the most important one to the fans (The Border War), will be gone, thus eliminating one of the best parts of college athletics, the hated rivalry games. Good luck getting fired up for those annual games with South Carolina. Kansas City fans are left in the dark, as the Big 12 tournament will no longer be played in a state that has no member team. Have fun flying to the Georgia Dome to watch Missouri play a first-round game against Ole Miss. All other sports will enjoy those lengthy midweek flights to Gainesville and Athens for volleyball, or those weekend bus rides to play baseball against LSU or Alabama. By wanting to brag about some sort of “victory”, namely landing in the SEC, Missouri will be setting itself up for many, many years of uninterrupted defeat. At least they got paid.

kstater
#Butthurt

http://sporting-ego.com/2011/10/27/missouri-be-careful-what-you-wish-for/

Because you just might get it. Specifically, you just might get it, the University of Missouri. With the allure of making the transition to the Southeastern Conference, Missouri has now jumped past Texas A&M into the lead for “Most short-sighted conference realignment move” in 2011. While Texas A&M at least has a generations-old National Championship to fall back on, as well as a nice big stadium, Missouri will enter the most powerful college football conference, at some point, presumably, with all the historical decorations and accomplishments of a thoroughbred race horse who finished out of the money in one too many races and ended up in the glue factory. Missouri officials and fans are confusing “winning realignment” with doing what is best for their school, their athletic department, and, most importantly, their football team, since that’s what all the 32-team super conference, Boise State to the Big East nonsense is all about. Yes, the same football team that is six games under .500 in the 15 year history of the Big 12, will now be entering a conference division that can claim 14 National Championships, or, two more championships than Missouri has bowl wins. Makes sense, right?

What is more valuable in college athletics, security or success? Missouri is putting its eggs in the basket of security, anticipating some sort enormous windfall at the expense of any future potential growth of its already flailing football program. While the promise of playing in the most visible, competitive, and history-laden conference will delivery an increase in revenue (which is the bottom line in Missouri’s eyes, regardless of how they try to spin the “instability” in the Big 12, the “instability” they themselves have created), Missouri will find out soon enough that they are a much smaller fish in a much bigger pond, most likely as soon as they take their first road trip to face Florida, Tennessee, or Georgia. By joining the SEC, Missouri will take an enormous step back in the visible, tangible things associated with college football. In terms of football budget, and overall athletic budget, Missouri would easily be in the bottom half, and most likely the bottom third of their new conference. When you can be lumped into a group, in football terms, with Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi, what exactly does that say about your perceived place in the pecking order? Faurot Field, a nice sized 71,004 seat stadium instantly becomes the 10<sup>th</sup> largest stadium in the SEC, or the 5<sup>th</sup> smallest. Not that it would matter the size of Missouri’s stadium, since they have trouble filling it with any regularity in the first place. Last week’s match-up with top 5 and potential BCS Championship game participant Oklahoma State drew 64,202, more than 6500 fans away from capacity. A better showing than the 58,000+ that made it for the season opener against Miami of Ohio, but a glaring indication of the overall lack of fervent support for the state’s only BCS university. Football is religion in the SEC, and Missouri would appear to be in the category of a convenient believer.
http://sporting-ego.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Gary-Pinkel.jpg (http://sporting-ego.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Gary-Pinkel.jpg) Gary Pinkel has been one of the loudest voices for MU to move to the SEC..

The most amazing thing about Missouri’s inflated sense of stature in today’s college football landscape is that their “meteoric rise” to power under head coach Gary Pinkel is predicated on winning the worst division college football has ever seen, the Big 12 North circa 2006-2008. In the 15 year history of the Big 12, Missouri has fielded a legit top 10 team in exactly one season, the 2007 squad that won the Big 12 North, only to get soundly beaten by Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship Game. That team, much like Missouri’s 2008 season, benefited from the rest of the Big 12 North employing the likes of Ron Prince, Bill Callahan, and Dan Hawkins, or, three coaches that will never be head coaches again at the FBS level. Throw in a slightly overrated Mark Mangino and a Cam Newton-less Gene Chizik, and Missouri’s amazing accomplishments appear to be more happenstance than anything that can be pointed at as a sign that the football program is ready to take a step up in competition. The 2011 season is showing a more realistic placing of where Missouri’s place, and Pinkel’s coaching, in the Big 12, as the previously mentioned unsuccessful coaches have since been replaced with coaches that know what they are doing, in most cases (except for Turner Gill). While Missouri is no longer the hapless program they were for years and year, to ignore the fact that Missouri has not won a conference title in football for more than 40 years, most years with a losing record, in the name of a few more dollars is a recipe for certain disaster.

Up to this point, programs such as Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas have not even been discussed, being as all signs point to Missouri being placed in the SEC East at the request of certain programs’ wishes to keep currently football rivalry games. Throw those four power universities in the mix, and it is becoming easy to see why the SEC would want a team like Missouri. The conference can increase their TV footprint, gaining a state with 6 million residents, while adding another patsy to the schedule. No BCS title hopeful team wants a schedule loaded with top 5 teams, and the SEC is no exception. The potential to add an easy conference win, while increasing the conference revenue, is a no-brainer. Somehow, the ego-driven administration at Missouri refuse to see this move for what it is and what it is not. What it is certainly not is a conference looking to add teams in the hope that they gained yet another top 10 program to add to the stable. Making things tougher for the Alabama’s, LSU’s, Florida’s, and Auburn’s of the world are not how the SEC accumulated all their accolades and accomplishments over the years. What it is is a university that fails to see the long-term impact of their constant desire to be the pretty girl that everybody wants to talk to, even though they don’t offer a whole lot of substance.

http://sporting-ego.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/finance039.jpg (http://sporting-ego.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/finance039.jpg) With MU moving to The SEC the Borderwar at Arrowhead Stadium is a thing of the Past..

By throwing away the chance to be competitive in a conference they helped start, Missouri is ignoring the flashing lights that point out the fatal flaws in their logic. They are too numerous to list in one column, but I‘m going to give it a shot. Recruiting in Texas will take a tremendous dip, due to no more regularly scheduled games in the state. The 12<sup>th</sup> most important rivalry in the country (if that), and the most important one to the fans (The Border War), will be gone, thus eliminating one of the best parts of college athletics, the hated rivalry games. Good luck getting fired up for those annual games with South Carolina. Kansas City fans are left in the dark, as the Big 12 tournament will no longer be played in a state that has no member team. Have fun flying to the Georgia Dome to watch Missouri play a first-round game against Ole Miss. All other sports will enjoy those lengthy midweek flights to Gainesville and Athens for volleyball, or those weekend bus rides to play baseball against LSU or Alabama. By wanting to brag about some sort of “victory”, namely landing in the SEC, Missouri will be setting itself up for many, many years of uninterrupted defeat. At least they got paid.

Al Bundy
Quit being a passive aggressive pussy. Oh wait, you can't help it.
:doh!:
Dumbshit

Frazod
Heh, she's from Manhattan, Kansas.

I guess that explains the whole Mistress of the Dark thing.

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Heh, she's from Manhattan, Kansas.

So? Saul Good is from Olathe. Citizens of Kansas are free to do and think what they wish. It is not a slave state.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 02:59 PM

Oh c'mon.

I can recognize douchiness and can remain extremely objective in regards to it.

Nothing I've ever seen on this board compares to "You guys don't know shit about aviation..."

It's not like he even tried to correct any perceived misconceptions, he just seized on some minor point to call anyone that had discussed it a bunch of misinformed shitheads, made vague allusions to what he did know (didn't actually respond to anyone that called those allusions into question) then promptly bailed out of the thread. I can only surmise that an adult looked at his posts and sent him to timeout or something.

It's a spectacular display of dickbag.

Bowser
10-27-2011, 03:00 PM
kstater mad, bro

Bambi
10-27-2011, 03:00 PM

I post almost nightly in the Royals thread during the season. Thus I am a fan of The Boys in Blue.

But living in NY I follow the Yankees quite closely. The drama created around the team is very entertaining.

Does that answer your question or do you have an insult to throw my way?

Al Bundy
10-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Oh c'mon.

Nothing I've ever seen on this board compares to "You guys don't know shit about aviation..."

It's not like he even tried to correct any perceived misconceptions, he just seized on some minor point to call anyone that had discussed it a bunch of misinformed shitheads, made vague allusions to what he did know (didn't actually respond to anyone that called those allusions into question) then promptly bailed out of the thread. I can only surmise that an adult looked at his posts and sent him to timeout or something.

Stewie SHOULD be a run away winner.

Frazod
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
So? Saul Good is from Olathe. Citizens of Kansas are free to do and think what they wish. It is not a slave state.

Remind us again where your new vacation home is?

notorious
10-27-2011, 03:05 PM
You're welcome. :evil:

I am just upset that I wasn't invited to the party. :harumph:

This thread has brought me as close to trolling as I can ever get. I am the anti-douche. :(

Rausch
10-27-2011, 03:05 PM
I post almost nightly in the Royals thread during the season. Thus I am a fan of The Boys in Blue.

But living in NY I follow the Yankees quite closely. The drama created around the team is very entertaining.

Given the choice of following two $3itty baseball teams or taking advantage of the ability to sample new and great eats each and every day.

Well....

Al Bundy
10-27-2011, 03:07 PM

Nope. I just wasn't sure.

Frazod
10-27-2011, 03:08 PM
I am just upset that I wasn't invited to the party. :harumph:

This thread has brought me as close to trolling as I can ever get. I am the anti-douche. :(

You'll just need to work on improving your douchy skills.

God knows there are enough role models around here for you to emulate. :D

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Oh c'mon.

:LOL: See I laughed my ass off at the aviation smack, it was just that stupid, it was hilarious. I was in that business a long time myself, but I saw no reason to get involved, you guys were doing a fine job.

notorious
10-27-2011, 03:12 PM
You'll just need to work on improving your douchy skills.

God knows there are enough role models around here for you to emulate. :D

This thread:

Chapter 11ty - BorderDouche

I could just hang out in DC for a while. That seems to be the magic elixir.

Frazod
10-27-2011, 03:14 PM
This thread:

Chapter 11ty - BorderDouche

I could just hang out in DC for a while. That seems to be the magic elixir.

You might want to take a few laps here before hitting the deep end.

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Remind us again where your new vacation home is?

It is almost Arkansas. :D I think I could hit a 3 wood to the border, well it would take several good hits.

I kid, I kid, I am going to be a full time resident in 3 years, but my loyalty will always be in Kansas. 16 years up here has not dampened it any, just like longer hasn't dampened your Mizzou loyalties.

Did you see this little nugget in KStater's article?

The conference can increase their TV footprint, gaining a state with 6 million residents, while adding another patsy to the schedule. No BCS title hopeful team wants a schedule loaded with top 5 teams, and the SEC is no exception. The potential to add an easy conference win, while increasing the conference revenue, is a no-brainer.

Rausch
10-27-2011, 03:15 PM
It is almost Arkansas. :D I think I could hit a 3 wood to the border, well it would take several good hits.

I kid, I kid, I am going to be a full time resident in 3 years, but my loyalty will always be in Kansas.

Kansas...Arkansas...not much difference...

Frazod
10-27-2011, 03:17 PM

I kid, I kid, I am going to be a full time resident in 3 years, but my loyalty will always be in Kansas. 16 years up here has not dampened it any, just like longer hasn't dampened your Mizzou loyalties.

Did you see this little nugget in KStater's article?

Yes, I saw that. I'm guessing the author got raped at a Missouri truck stop once.

Only time will tell. I'm sure not thrilled about going forward with Schottenpinkel, though.

notorious
10-27-2011, 03:17 PM
You might want to take a few laps here before hitting the deep end.

Fuck it, the cure is worse then the disease.

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Kansas...Arkansas...not much difference...
I see what you did there, LMAO, just an Ar, but geographically it is night and day.
Not much difference in Missouri and Misery either.

Yes, I saw that. I'm guessing the author got raped at a Missouri truck stop once.

Only time will tell. I'm sure not thrilled about going forward with Schottenpinkel, though.

Really? This is the first I recall reading of a Mizzou loyalest being disenchanted with Pinkel.
I thought he was Nick Saben 2? No?

Frazod
10-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Really? This is the first I recall reading of a Mizzou loyalest being disenchanted with Pinkel. I thought he was Nick Saben 2? No?

Who the hell said that? He's a horrible game day coach. And I wouldn't let Yost or Steckel wash my car. Fucking idiots.

In a perfect world Pinkel would handle recruiting and we'd get a real coach and a real staff to run the damn team.

epitome1170
10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Who the hell said that? He's a horrible game day coach. And I wouldn't let Yost or Steckel wash my car. ****ing idiots.

In a perfect world Pinkel would handle recruiting and we'd get a real coach and a real staff to run the damn team.

THIS!

Pinkel is an awesome recruiter... I don't think he will take a demotion though.

HemiEd
10-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Who the hell said that? He's a horrible game day coach. And I wouldn't let Yost or Steckel wash my car. ****ing idiots.

Not sure anyone did, but I have literally read this whole thread and had the impression the sun rose and set in Pinkel. Call me stupid I guess.

Several posts proclaimed that Pinkel had built the program into a contender, from being towards the bottom of the conference. I do know that was said.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 03:51 PM
THIS!

Pinkel is an awesome recruiter... I don't think he will take a demotion though.

Pinkel's also a phenomenal administrator and generally a good leader. He's also a very good representative of the University.

Fuck demoting him - make him the AD.

We can find a better tactical coach (hell, I think Christensen is that guy) and we'd still get the benefit of all the things he does very well.

Love him or hate him - this is Gary Pinkel's program and without his efforts we are not getting this interest from the SEC. He's stubborn and occasionally he just doesn't seem to have his guys ready to play, but he's still no worse than an average game-coach (there are legitimately awful ones out there) and he adds a hell of a lot to the program outside of that.

epitome1170
10-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Not sure anyone did, but I have literally read this whole thread and had the impression the sun rose and set in Pinkel. Call me stupid I guess.

Several posts proclaimed that Pinkel had built the program into a contender, from being towards the bottom of the conference. I do know that was said.

That is true, but I don't personally believe he can get us to the next level.

evenfall
10-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Really? This is the first I recall reading of a Mizzou loyalest being disenchanted with Pinkel.
I thought he was Nick Saben 2? No?

There are usually a few (dumb) voices out there saying he sucks, but he has built a fine football team to win games in the Big-whatever's-left. Every coach makes a mistake sometimes but he has won a hell of a lot of games over a number of years. Pinkel is a proven commodity.

He will need to adapt. He will need to come up with something to use inside the 10 on offense, and they will have to play better defense. We will need to improve our net punting average, we know how critical that is. But the recruits will be coming to make all that work.

Pinkel is a great head coach. He is looking forward to this challenge, and not only that, welcoming and advocating for it.

Frazod
10-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Pinkel's also a phenomenal administrator and generally a good leader. He's also a very good representative of the University.

Fuck demoting him - make him the AD.

We can find a better tactical coach (hell, I think Christensen is that guy) and we'd still get the benefit of all the things he does very well.

Love him or hate him - this is Gary Pinkel's program and without his efforts we are not getting this interest from the SEC. He's stubborn and occasionally he just doesn't seem to have his guys ready to play, but he's still no worse than an average game-coach (there are legitimately awful ones out there) and he adds a hell of a lot to the program outside of that.

They can promote him to fucking chancellor if it gets him off the field. While I appreciate what he's done for the school and the program, he's NOT the guy we need coaching this team.

Frazod
10-27-2011, 04:17 PM
There are usually a few (dumb) voices out there saying he sucks, but he has built a fine football team to win games in the Big-whatever's-left. Every coach makes a mistake sometimes but he has won a hell of a lot of games over a number of years. Pinkel is a proven commodity.

He will need to adapt. He will need to come up with something to use inside the 10 on offense, and they will have to play better defense. We will need to improve our net punting average, we know how critical that is. But the recruits will be coming to make all that work.

Pinkel is a great head coach. He is looking forward to this challenge, and not only that, welcoming and advocating for it.

He can't even beat Kansas State any more - what the hell do you think's going to happen when he goes up against LSU?

:shake:

Mr. Plow
10-27-2011, 04:39 PM
But the recruits will be coming to make all that work.

awesome.

LiveSteam
10-27-2011, 04:46 PM
I am a fan of The Boys in Blue.

get back in the closet

evenfall
10-27-2011, 05:07 PM
He can't even beat Kansas State any more - what the hell do you think's going to happen when he goes up against LSU?

:shake:

They need a real QB, in my opinion. Pinkel is fine.

mnchiefsguy
10-27-2011, 05:39 PM
KK says Rick Perry was a driving force for aTm going to the SEC. Everything I have read has indicated that Perry has stayed out of the situation entirely.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 05:58 PM
KK says Rick Perry was a driving force for aTm going to the SEC. Everything I have read has indicated that Perry has stayed out of the situation entirely.

Perry was a vocal supporter, but I've seen nothing to indicate that he fueled this.

I have a friend who's boss is actually on the A&M Board or Regents (unfortunately his 'scoops' tended to be stuff that was already starting to trickle out so I never had any self-important "hey you guys" moments...). He told me that the entire A&M board was furious about Texas and the LHN and was ready to go. He only gave me one direct quote from his boss and it was "Texas has violated a sacred trust..."

Granted, that's sappy bullshit, but it shows what everyone associated with A&M was thinking. Rick Perry didn't fuel anything, the Aggies were gone on their own.

Kietzman is an ignorant shithead. He truly knows nothing about anything.

mnchiefsguy
10-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Perry was a vocal supporter, but I've seen nothing to indicate that he fueled this.

I have a friend who's boss is actually on the A&M Board or Regents (unfortunately his 'scoops' tended to be stuff that was already starting to trickle out so I never had any self-important "hey you guys" moments...). He told me that the entire A&M board was furious about Texas and the LHN and was ready to go. He only gave me one direct quote from his boss and it was "Texas has violated a sacred trust..."

Granted, that's sappy bullshit, but it shows what everyone associated with A&M was thinking. Rick Perry didn't fuel anything, the Aggies were gone on their own.

Kietzman is an ignorant shithead. He truly knows nothing about anything.

That is what I figured, and had read. It was to be expected though I suppose....today was blame the politicians day for KK.

KChiefs1
10-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Coming from you that's a helluva compliment! I should be in the poll...I want some write-in votes!

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Is there really any difference between being OU/UT's bitch than being Bama/LSU's bitch?

DJ's left nut
10-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Is there really any difference between being OU/UT's bitch than being Bama/LSU's bitch?

Doubling the amount of expendable revenue available to us and the commensurate upgrades in facilities and the campus.

I know you folks keep thinking you have a point when you say "you guys haven't won anything here, you won't win anything there", but you really don't.

If the circumstances will be exactly the same there as they are in the IIX, then I might as well get paid a hell of a lot more money to do it. The University will be far better of for those funds.

Back to the drawing board, son. If you're going to troll this thread, you have to up your game a great deal. The bar is quite high.

mnchiefsguy
10-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Looks like Mizzou is going to the SEC East, so they would not see either of those teams till the SEC Championship.

SEC East will be no cakewalk, Florida is the big dog over there. Will take some hard work and great recruiting, will have to see what happens.

DA_T_84
10-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Looks like Mizzou is going to the SEC East, so they would not see either of those teams till the SEC Championship.

Oh, good, so they will never play Alabama or LSU then.

notorious
10-27-2011, 07:34 PM

LOLZ

Bambi
10-27-2011, 08:25 PM

Bwahahaha,

ROFL

wut and indiot

KChiefs1
10-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Clay Travis:

THE BIG 12 AND BIG EAST = TWO DRUNKS AT A BAR TRYING TO HOOK UP

Published on: October 27, 2011 | Written by: Clay Travis

The Big 12 and the Big East are like the two drunkest, most desperate*people at the bar trying to hook up. It's never pretty. One day after it was clear that West Virginia was on the last helicopter out of the Big East Saigon, it suddenly wasn't clear at all after reported phone calls from Kentucky Senator Mitch McConnell to Oklahoma and Texas Tech leaders. You knew at some point that truth would become stranger than fiction in the conference realignment mess. You just didn't expect for United States senators from West Virginia to*make statements like these:
"If someone as U.S. Senator interfered after the process took place, then that's wrong and unacceptable," West Virginia's Senator*Manchin said. "If a U.S. Senator has done anything inappropriate or unethical to interfere with a decision that the Big 12 had already made*then I believe that there should be an investigation in the U.S. Senate."
And with these quotes the conference realignment male soap opera, turned into a script so insane even Latin American*telenovellas would reject it as unbelievable.
At this point, there is only one logical conclusion to conference realignment: After a two year investigation Baylor president Ken Starr*will be*impeached for having an affair with an intern.
The Big 12 is the root cause of all of this mess. That conference's instability has led to every other conference's makeup changing in the past year. Consider for a moment the simple Big 12 math over this past year and a few months: 12-2-1+1-1+1 = ?
Who is the root cause of all this*instability? Texas.
The Longhorns have bullied the rest of the conference so far that anyone with any power wants to leave. Only, you guessed it, no one can leave now. This conference is a bad reality show, CBS's Big Brother meets college sports. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State tried to leave but found out no one would take them. Somewhere Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Missouri have to be reading these latest*headlines and doubling over in laughter.
You know how the 1972*Miami Dolphins undefeated team gets together every year and cracks open a bottle of champagne to celebrate? The schools that got out of the Big 12 -- Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Missouri --*should have an annual party where they break open*a bottle of*champagne and celebrate their disunion from*the fundamentally broken*Big 12. *
Here are*nine*additional thoughts about the latest insanity:
1. How bad is the Big East?

West Virginia and Louisville are threatening to lead us into full on Senate investigations*over an invite to a conference that anyone who can leave wants to leave already.
This is like fighting*for*an opportunity to board the Titanic.
Yep, the Big East is so unstable that people are trying to prolong their lives by boarding a ship that everyone knows is going to sink someday.
2.*The Big 12 and*the SEC are fighting over*who is going to have the uneven schedules.

Missouri is the prize that balances out the hang-ups. I still believe Missouri will be in the SEC for 2012, but as*time drags on this becomes more difficult to manage. **
So the question hanging out there is this: Will the Big 12 have a nine team conference in 2012 or will the SEC have a 13 team conference in 2012? Both are problematic.
If the SEC has a 13 team conference then it has to apply for a NCAA waiver and play unbalanced division schdules that could end in disaster -- two undefeated division champs that never played in the SEC West.
Alternatively, if the Big 12 has just nine teams then every conference team has to add one out of conference game for 2012. With this short notice every school would have to pay a substantial sum -- likely $500k at minimum -- to round up opponents.
So Missouri's location in the 2012 season has become a plum prize.
3. Here's my compromise plan on behalf of the Big East, the SEC, and the Big 12.

In honor of the political establishment's involvement, we'll call it the Travis Compromise. This works particularly well since the reason I have the name Clay is because my grandfather, born in Kentucky, was named after Henry Clay, the great compromiser. So I'm following in my namesake's footsteps here.
The Travis Compromise entails:
a. Missouri comes to the SEC in 2012.

As a result of that departure Missouri owes the Big 12 in the neighborhood of $13 million as a buyout. (Texas A&M owes a similar sum).
The Big 12 pockets $26 million in buyout fees and the SEC doesn't have an unbalanced schedule to worry about.
b. West Virginia comes to the Big 12 in 2012.

The Big 12 gives $13 million, the Missouri buyout fee, to the Big East in exchange for the Big East waiving the 27 month exit fee requirement.*That $13 million*may sound like a lot of money, but when you*consider that Big*12 schools*would be on the hook for at least $6 million to buy games if they don't have 10 conference*teams,*it's*actually a*pretty good deal. *
It also sets a precedent for the Big*East -- if*Pitt and Syracuse can come up*with $13 million each, they can buy their way out of the 27 month exit fee as*well. But that's in*addition to the $5 million buyout. So each school would*need to come up with $18 million to leave. If Pitt,*Syracuse, and West Virginia all pay $18 million to leave that gives the Big*East a windfall of $54 million which it can*redistribute to the remaining five Big East schools.*As a part of the receipt of these*distributions each remaining Big East*school would sign a ten year guarantee to the league, which the*league could then use to add new members.*
South Florida, Cincinnati, Louisville, Connecticut and Rutgers would each receive*$10 million and a guarantee that they'd remain in a BCS league alongside the new additions. Where does that BCS guarantee come from?***
c. The SEC and the Big 12 agree to vote in favor of preserving the Big East's automatic bid when the next round of BCS negotiations arises.

Voila, an elegant compromise saves the day.
Congress is removed from the equation and everyone is happy. (The payment amounts*could be negotiated, but all three conferences win under this scenario.) You can easily see a way the Big East could extract the same promise from the ACC to help protect its automatic qualifying bid. With the SEC, Big 12, and ACC all lined up in its corner the Big East would have four votes to preserve its automatic bid.
Remember, the single most important asset the Big East has is the automatic qualifying bid in the BCS. If the conference loses that it loses the ability to bring on new schools. So protecting that bid is the primary objective of the Big East.
4. For those of you who are surprised the Senate got involved, a*Congressional anecdote.*

I spent four years working*in the Capitol while I was in college in Washington, D.C.*One*of my roles during those four years was giving tours of the Capitol.*I'm a history buff so I picked up all the anecdotes I could to make*my tour sparkle. One of them was this:**
Just after the Civil War, the dome was completed and a massive chandelier was added to the Capitol. When they returned from recess and Congressional members saw it hanging there, the chandelier provoked an outrage. Member after member derided it as too ostentatious to hang in the Capitol. The scandal grew. Until an enterprising reporter found out where the real outrage was coming from:
Congressmen recognized the chandelier because it used to hang in D.C.'s highest end brothel.
So am I surprised that Senators are getting involved in realignment?
Nope.
5. Adding more than ten schools isn't an option right now.

Some of you are already emailing asking why the Big 12 can't add both Louisville and West Virginia. The answer is simple -- the TV money isn't there right now. Going above ten members means that every school in the Big 12 would make less money. Going to 11 also means you have to go to 12.
Unless ESPN and Fox agree to pay more money -- which ESPN certainly isn't going to do and I doubt Fox would do -- then the TV money is set. Recall that ESPN is already paying for a 12 team conference and agreed to pay the same amount for a ten team conference. So do you really think ESPN is going to agree to pay more money for an 11 team conference when it already bought a 12 team conference?
Nope.*
Now, when the ESPN deal comes up in*a couple of years expansion*beyond ten may become viable. But not*now.*
Ten is going to*be the number. Especially when you consider*that in the past year the Big 12 has lost four of*its six top television teams:*Nebraska, Colorado,*Texas A&M, and Missouri have all been replaced by a quartet of vastly inferior television draws. *
6. Why isn't the Big 12 considering Memphis?

I understand West Virginia, but I have no idea why the Big 12 would rather be in Louisville than Memphis.
It makes no sense.
The cities are roughly equal. (I'd give the nod to Memphis personally, but there's no great separation between the two).
Both are great basketball programs. Granted, Memphis's football program is presently*awful, but it's in an incredibly fertile recruiting region. Lots of schools, I would think, would love to be able to recruit in Memphis. There are zero recruits in Kentucky for either football or basketball.**
Plus, getting in to Memphis gets the Big 12 inside the SEC's footprint and limits the travel to a great degree. Every school would still be in the central time zone
It seems like a no brainer to me. But what do I know? (I bet the answer is a lot more than Memphis's clueless AD R.C. Johnson).
7. The Big East would give up Louisville in a heartbeat if it meant they got to keep West Virginia.

That's why*a part*of me thinks that the Big East is actually encouraging this Louisville to the Big 12 talk. Anything to keep West Virginia, the only football program in the conference that anyone pays any attention to at all.
If Louisville left replacing them with Memphis would, it seems to me, be pretty close to an even trade.
Basically, Memphis has to end up in the Big East no matter what. But if the Big East could get the Big 12 to take Louisville over West Virginia it would be a massive win.
8. Why isn't Ken Starr still threatening to sue anyone?

Remember when Ken Starr was concerned about major conference expansion? Remember his threats to sue the SEC over Texas A&M's departure? Remember his insistence on keeping conference's geographically cohesive?
Now his conference is going to gut the Big East, fly hundreds of miles across multiple states, all to play either West Virginia or Louisville. And Ken Starr isn't uttering a word.
Everyone is looking out for their naked self interest. Everyone. That's why Ken Starr, in particular, is so full of crap. He tried to pretend, like always, that his stance was predicated on something other than naked self interest.
9. Funniest suggestion for how to solve the West Virginia-Louisville battle? A teeth-off.

The fan base with the most teeth gets the Big 12 invite.
Given that Kentucky and West Virginia have the worst teeth in the United States*-- this is an actual stat -- this has reality show written all over it.
It's like The Biggest Loser meets teeth. Someone steps up to a dentist with their mouth closed and we all write down how many teeth we think they have. Then they open their mouth and the tally goes up on a screen.
To the victor goes the*spoils, the fairest method to decide conference realignment of all. It's the electoral college of teeth.

Saulbadguy
10-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Doubling the amount of expendable revenue available to us and the commensurate upgrades in facilities and the campus.

I know you folks keep thinking you have a point when you say "you guys haven't won anything here, you won't win anything there", but you really don't.

If the circumstances will be exactly the same there as they are in the IIX, then I might as well get paid a hell of a lot more money to do it. The University will be far better of for those funds.

Back to the drawing board, son. If you're going to troll this thread, you have to up your game a great deal. The bar is quite high.

You make a good point. Being a mediocre SEC team is better than being a mediocre Big XII team. Can't really deny that, I suppose.

notorious
10-27-2011, 10:01 PM
You make a good point. Being a mediocre SEC team is better than being a mediocre Big XII team. Can't really deny that, I suppose.

Now you are talking.

Off to give you a vote!

KChiefs1
10-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Is this official now??????
By: Sean Cartell
SEC Digital Network

COMPLETE MISSOURI COVERAGE AT THE SEC DIGITAL NETWORK

University Of Missouri: What You Need To Know
Missouri-SEC*Connections: A History
Homecoming Tradition Traced To Missouri
Missouri To The SEC: The Dortch Report (Basketball)
Missouri To The SEC: Barnhart's Take

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Given the ever-changing conference paradigm over the past year, the Southeastern Conference has continued to demonstrate its commitment to maintaining its stature as one of the nation’s premier conferences by welcoming the University of Missouri as the league’s 14th member, Commissioner Mike Slive announced Monday.

Missouri joins Texas A&M University as the league’s two new institutions who will begin full membership on July 1, 2012. It is the first expansion of the SEC membership since Arkansas and South Carolina joined the conference in 1992.

Missouri was a charter member of the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association in 1907, which became the Big Six Conference in 1964, the Big Eight Conference in 1964 and the Big 12 Conference in 1996.

Geographically, it is a natural fit as the state of Missouri touches more states (Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee) that currently are home to an SEC institution than any other state that is not in the league’s previous 13-member footprint. Like the majority of the cities in the SEC, Columbia, Mo., is a college-centered town with a metropolitan population of 164,283, making it the fifth-largest city in the state of Missouri.

With an enrollment of 32,415, the University of Missouri boasts a strong academic resume, as it is one of only five universities nationwide with law, medicine, veterinary medicine and a research reactor on one campus. Six of Missouri’s sports teams last season led the Big 12 in graduation rate for their respective sports.

Culturally, Missouri is as well known for its barbecue, country music, history and rich tradition as the majority of the current states of the SEC.

Missouri is one of only 35 public U.S. universities invited to membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU). It will become the fourth SEC school that is part of the AAU, joining Florida, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt.

Monday’s announcement marks just the fourth time in the history of the conference that the SEC will expand its membership. In a landscape that has seemed ever-changing in recent years, the SEC has exemplified stability as 10 of its original 13 members remain.

The league began as a 13-team league until Sewanee’s departure from the conference in 1940. After Georgia Tech’s move to independent status in 1964, the league had 11 members before Tulane departed in 1966, leaving the SEC as a 10-team conference for more than two decades.

At the start of the decade of the 1990s, a similar shift in conference alignment allowed Arkansas and South Carolina to join the SEC. The benefits have been nothing short of outstanding.

Soon after joining the league, the Razorbacks claimed the 1994 NCAA Championship in men’s basketball and finished as the NCAA runner-up the following year. They made their first appearance in the SEC Championship football game in 1995, appearing again in 2002 and 2006.

The Arkansas women’s basketball team made its first-ever Final Four appearance in 1998 before winning the WNIT the next season. The level of track and field in the SEC was quickly raised with the addition of the Razorbacks. Arkansas’ men won cross country national titles in 1992, 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999 and 2000. Men’s NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships came every year from 1993-2000 and again in 2003, 2005 and 2006. The men also claimed NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships from 1993-1999 and again in 2003.

South Carolina won the Women’s NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championship in 2002, becoming, at the time, just the second different SEC team to claim an NCAA Women’s Outdoor Track and Field Championship. The past two seasons have been magical ones for the Gamecocks, as they have captured back-to-back NCAA Championships in baseball and advanced to the SEC Championship game in football for the first time in the program’s history.

On September 25, 2011, Texas A&M was announced as the league’s 13th member, beginning with the 2012-13 academic year.

Missouri took to the field for the first time in 1890, making it one of the first SEC institutions to begin playing football. Kentucky played a three-game schedule in 1881, but didn’t play again until a decade later. Vanderbilt also began its football program in 1890.

Don Faurot was one of the early founders of Missouri athletics, as he was a three-sport standout for the Tigers from 1922-24. He served the school as its football coach from 1935-56 and continued on as the athletics director until 1967. Faurot is known for the creation of the Split-T formation in 1941. The formation’s option play still today serves as the basis for many present-day schemes, including the Wishbone, Wingbone, Veer and I-Formation.

Faurot compiled a record of 101-79-10, making the school’s first modern-day bowl appearance in 1939 when it advanced to the Orange Bowl. Until 1994, the year prior to his death, Faurot was heavily involved in the annual Blue-Gray football game in Montgomery, Ala.

The Tigers rose to national prominence under head coach Dan Devine in the 1960s, when Devine’s winning percentage of .767 was the best in the nation during that decade. In 13 seasons at Missouri, Devine posted a record of 93-37-7 and eight players earned First-Team All-America honors.* His 1960 Missouri squad finished with an 11-0 record and defeated Navy 21-14 in the Orange Bowl. The 1965 squad went 8-2-1 and defeated Florida in the Sugar Bowl. The Tigers won the Big Eight Conference in 1960 and 1969 under Devine.

Since 2007, the football Tigers have claimed three Big 12 North Championships. Under current head coach Gary Pinkel, Missouri posted a 12-2 record in 2007 and defeated Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl.

The Tigers began playing basketball in 1906 and enjoyed the greatest amount of success under legendary head coach Norm Stewart from 1967-99. In 32 years, Stewart led Missouri to 634 wins and 333 losses for a .656 winning percentage, the best in program history. Stewart’s teams won 20 or more games 17 times, including a school-record 29 wins during the 1988-89 season. He won eight Big Eight Conference championships and six conference tournament titles.

Missouri started competing in the sport of baseball in 1891 and won the College World Series in 1954, marking the school’s first national title in any sport. The Tigers have made six CWS appearances in the program’s history, including three national runner-up finishes (1952, 1958, 1964).

The Tigers also have had great success in the sport of track and field and won the NCAA Men’s Indoor Championship in 1965. The soccer and softball teams have been proficient as of late with soccer winning the 2009 Big 12 Championship and softball claiming that title in 2011.

Trevo_410
10-27-2011, 10:43 PM
so im sorry i haven't read most of it, however, is that confirmed? it says he announced it monday?...

SPchief
10-27-2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/228830/tiger-tracks-missouri-joins-the-sec.aspx

Mizzou_8541
10-27-2011, 10:48 PM
so im sorry i haven't read most of it, however, is that confirmed? it says he announced it monday?...

No chance that is legit.

Pitt Gorilla
10-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Now gone.

baitism
10-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Someone is getting fired.

kstater
10-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Major bargaining chip the Big 12 just gained.

DJ's left nut
10-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Major bargaining chip the Big 12 just gained.

Yeah.

The IIX had no idea that MU was talking to the SEC before a random webpage dropped...

You fellas crack me up.

eazyb81
10-28-2011, 07:01 AM
http://outkickthecoverage.com/sec-accidentally-announces-missouri-to-sec.php

LOL, SEC accidentally announces Mizzou as a new member. They pulled it quickly but Clay Travis has a screenshot on his website.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/tyfoon/site/pages/images/86b4df912fa91b5.jpg

evenfall
10-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Can't be. hemiEd said the fat girl with pimples doesn't get asked to dance by the prom king.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Can't be. hemiEd said the fat girl with pimples doesn't get asked to dance by the prom king.

more butthurt

eazyb81
10-28-2011, 07:12 AM
The articles are all down but you can still see a lot of the original links when you search for Missouri on the SEC website.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/search.aspx?q=missouri

Saulbadguy
10-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Yeah.

The IIX had no idea that MU was talking to the SEC before a random webpage dropped...

You fellas crack me up.

:LOL:

eazyb81
10-28-2011, 08:52 AM
OU gets clowned again.

West Virginia to the Big 12 and will be announced today.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32980106

mikeyis4dcats.
10-28-2011, 08:59 AM
staying at 10 is a mistake.

Saulbadguy
10-28-2011, 09:04 AM
http://goemaw.com/forum/index.php?topic=3457.msg382636#msg382636

I don't know what Missouri will ultimately do, but I do know that their coaches do not want SEC. Big 3 especially do not want (FB, MBB, BSB). Have also heard that the AthDept as a whole is opposed. This is all fan and politician driven, if in fact they go.

Jerm
10-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Pinkel has been one of if not the most vocal voice in all of this...I call bullshit that they don't want the move.

Why on earth would you not...esp. baseball and basketball? They'd instantly be competitors in both.

kepp
10-28-2011, 09:11 AM
http://goemaw.com/forum/index.php?topic=3457.msg382636#msg382636

Complete BS. Pinkel has been very vocal, almost to a fault, about his distaste for the Big12. Saying he doesn't favor a move is ridiculous. It's fitting that this post was from a user named "captaincrap".

Frazod
10-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Complete BS. Pinkel has been very vocal, almost to a fault, about his distaste for the Big12. Saying he doesn't favor a move is ridiculous. It's fitting that this post was from a user named "captaincrap".

Seriously. Who makes this shit up? :shake:

HemiEd
10-28-2011, 09:16 AM

The grass is ALWAYS greener, ALWAYS. But we will get to watch this unfold for quite some time.

I think Mizzou is counting on a communist regime, one for all and all for one, the big hogs split evenly with the peons, but I bet there is some capitalism in there to some extent. :evil: