PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Coaching decision questions

tooge
09-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Sorry if a repost. I left the game earlier than I ever have yesterday. I was simply pissed off at the lack of preparation and figured I could hang a tree stand or two. Anyhow, why is it, that to the average fan, Ricky Stanzi seems to be doing very well for a rookie with no offseason, and yet, in the last preseason game he never sees the field, and then with the Chiefs trailing by more than 30 points in the fourth quarter, he never sees the field. I'm one to go on record and say that even though I think Cassel is a below average starting NFL quarterback, he is the best option we have right now. But why are the coaches not trying to get Stanzi valuable reps. What if Cassel would have gotten hurt in the last two drives?

Bob Dole
09-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Mark Castle clearly needed the reps.

BigRichard
09-12-2011, 09:02 AM
I thought I seen someone say he was inactive. Was he not?

kcpasco
09-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I dunno

But I'm going with if Stanzi comes in and actually resembles an NFL Qb you have yourself a controversy.

Stewie
09-12-2011, 09:03 AM
It would have been Palko. Stanzi was on the inactive list.

jd1020
09-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Sorry if a repost. I left the game earlier than I ever have yesterday. I was simply pissed off at the lack of preparation and figured I could hang a tree stand or two. Anyhow, why is it, that to the average fan, Ricky Stanzi seems to be doing very well for a rookie with no offseason, and yet, in the last preseason game he never sees the field, and then with the Chiefs trailing by more than 30 points in the fourth quarter, he never sees the field. I'm one to go on record and say that even though I think Cassel is a below average starting NFL quarterback, he is the best option we have right now. But why are the coaches not trying to get Stanzi valuable reps. What if Cassel would have gotten hurt in the last two drives?

Stanzi was in active.

I'm not sure what the hell the Chiefs FO see's in Cassel. Maybe Cassel is spiking their drinks, who knows. Any respectable team would have had a majority of the starters off the field in the 4th quarter.

Rooster
09-12-2011, 09:05 AM
I thought I seen someone say he was inactive. Was he not?

Yes he was inactive.

tooge
09-12-2011, 09:06 AM
It would have been Palko. Stanzi was on the inactive list.

Oh. Well, I guess it is too bad the Chiefs brass doesn't think he has "it" then

Chiefnj2
09-12-2011, 09:06 AM
With the shortened preseason and new rules about practice time Cassel took the vast majority of snaps with the first team. Palko by virtue of being on the team last year, received the second number of snaps. Stanzi simply didn't touch the ball enough in practice, so the coaches didn't give him the ball down the stretch in preseason. People can gnash their teeth all they want, but it doesn't appear that the backup QB spot was an open competition. It was handed to Palko, and Stanzi is inactive.

Sofa King
09-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Getting our starting QB reps to improve for the rest of the season is alot more valuable to this team than getting a 5th round rookie 3rd string QB "valuable" reps....

jd1020
09-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Getting our starting QB reps to improve for the rest of the season is alot more valuable to this team than getting a 5th round rookie 3rd string QB "valuable" reps....

The problem is is that there is absolutely no hope with Cassel.

BigRichard
09-12-2011, 09:11 AM

I concur Doctor.

Chiefnj2
09-12-2011, 09:18 AM

The only thing they haven't tried is completely cutting the leash and letting him improvise. He's been in systems where it's been pounded into him - don't make mistakes, take a sack over a pick, etc. Maybe they need to just tell him, make something happen, scramble, toss it up to Bowe, etc.

jd1020
09-12-2011, 09:21 AM
The only thing they haven't tried is completely cutting the leash and letting him improvise. He's been in systems where it's been pounded into him - don't make mistakes, take a sack over a pick, etc. Maybe they need to just tell him, make something happen, scramble, toss it up to Bowe, etc.

Nothing good ever happens when Cassel scrambles. He stumbles on his own feet, still takes the sack 2 yards away from the sideline, or throws ankle biters down field.

BigRichard
09-12-2011, 09:23 AM

I wonder if maybe they did and that was the outcome. I don't know why but I always got the impression that Cassel was as dumb as an ice cube. Anyone know how he did at USC with academics?