PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Have we lost Eric for good?

Fritz88
09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
This is not a repost. The Eric Berry thread turned into another shouting match.

How many players have come out of a torn ACL and retained their pre-injury form?

The odds are that Eric might be done for good. He will be back for sure, but he will most likely not be the Eric Berry with the potential we had hoped for.

It is the most devastating injury in sports. I watch a lot of soccer and when a soccer player gets ACL'ed, he's gone.

lcarus
09-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Too early to tell. God...today SUCKS as bad as yesterday.

Donger
09-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Yes, but soccer isn't a sport.

Mr. Arrowhead
now a days, you can come back from ACL and be 100 percent.

Von Dumbass
Elway played 15 seasons in the NFL without an ACL in his left knee.

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Tiger...oh shit....

Priest31kc
And doesn't it also depend on the severity of the tear? Aren't there different grades of ACL tears?

Ace Gunner
Unfortunately, that's an injury that never fully heals. He will likely play again and could be about everything we as fans expect. But he'll have slightly less movement in that knee.

Fritz88
09-12-2011, 04:34 PM

http://files.coloribus.com/files/adsarchive/part_1080/10803705/file/bed-gay-bar-superman-small-69445.jpg

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2011, 04:35 PM
this is karma for bernard pollard i guess. FUCK! wasnt getting cassel enough god?!

WhiteWhale
09-12-2011, 04:36 PM

Elway didn't play a position predicated on speed, short burst acceleration, and changing direction.

No, Berry will probably never reach the ceiling he could have reached pre-injury. No matter how good he becomes, I'll always imagine he should have been better.

kcpasco
09-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Yes or No

Lets just hope they don't have to amputate

Priest31kc
09-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Elway didn't play a position predicated on speed, short burst acceleration, and changing direction.

No, Berry will probably never reach the ceiling he could have reached pre-injury. No matter how good he becomes, I'll always imagine he should have been better.

I just want to cry.

Johnny Vegas
when you're a player as important as Berry is he will ultimately get the best surgeon money can't buy plus under the supervision of the best physical therapist.

vailpass

And won 2 superbowls with a detached biceps. But that doesn't apply to mere mortals and/or non-QBs.

lcarus
My question is - and this is a legitimate question (not) - since "God" obviously loves athletes and athletes love him...why did God make athletes ****ing ACLs so weak and such a liability. I question his design is all...

Johnny Vegas
09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
this is karma for bernard pollard i guess. FUCK! wasnt getting cassel enough god?!

hey now back up a sec. That was a freak accident and Pollard was blocked into Brady.

Pants
09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
With his work ethic, talent and dedication? I'd say depending on the severity, we can probably get 98% Berry in the best case scenario.

booger
09-12-2011, 04:40 PM
I get the shock of losing a player for the season and that it really sucks, especially with players like Berry and Moeaki. Priest Holmes tore both his ACL's before he got to KC. Terry Allen, another RB, tore both ACL's and went on as a 1k yard rusher. Rod Woodson. Takeo Spikes blew out his Achilles and is still going strong. John Browning was no great DL but he was a lunch pale guy who added good depth in the ideal situation. He tore his ACL and Achilles at different stages early in his career and came back to have a long career.

I can see being concerned about Moeaki because of his injury history. Berry has never been injured. Doesn't mean he's going to come back and be a crappy player. It might take a couple years, who knows.

Fritz88
09-12-2011, 04:41 PM
With his work ethic, talent and dedication? I'd say depending on the severity, we can probably get 98% Berry in the best case scenario.

I believe he will be good. He's a workaholic. Just like Brady. But I don't think he'll ever be as good as he couldn't been.

Johnny Vegas
09-12-2011, 04:41 PM
And won 2 superbowls with a detached biceps. But that doesn't apply to mere mortals and/or non-QBs.

when you play while a dildo's up your ass you always have a little more gitty up.

suzzer99
09-12-2011, 04:42 PM

Add Youth to that, and hopefully dipping into some magic healing juice when the league isn't looking.

WhiteWhale
09-12-2011, 04:43 PM
I just want to cry.

I'm devastated. Losing 41-7 to buffalo in the opener is nothing compared to this. The way it happened just makes it worse.

Berry is the most talented defensive player we have gotten our hands on since Derrick Thomas.

I'm not sure if anything can save this season from the disaster that's going on here. Good lord I just hope this is enough to satisfy the football gods for WHATEVER it was that we did. :cuss:

keg in kc
09-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Guy with his work ethic should come back fine. The way I look at it, the surgery isn't nearly as big a deal now as it was years ago. It sucks for this year, and it may be 2013 before he's really 100% again, although we're fortunate (if you can call it that) that the injury happened so early. Much better for the 2012 season. But I don't think there's any reason to fear for his career or anything like that.

Ace Gunner
09-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Ya. I think this is right.

Troll
09-12-2011, 04:46 PM
As a Bills fan I hope he returns to 100%.

He's something special.

LiveSteam
09-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Because the ACL does not heal on its own, ACL reconstruction surgery is usually performed to restore function to the knee. During this surgery, the damaged ligament is removed and replaced with another tendon, either the middle one-third of the patella tendon or a hamstring tendon from the patient’s own body (autograft) or from a donor (allograft). Using arthroscopic techniques, the surgeon removes the damaged ligament, drills tunnels in the tibia and femur to insert the new ligament, and then passes the new ligament into the center of the knee. Once properly positioned in the knee, the new ligament is secured in the bone tunnels with tiny screws or similar hardware.With ACL reconstruction surgery, most injured people return to full function—but at a cost.

vailpass
09-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Mental aspect is a factor in recovery as well.

lcarus
09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
So you're telling me they can engineer a chicken with a beavers head, but they can't fix a god damn ACL in time for week 2? Lets start a fundraiser walk to raise money for ACL-fixing technology. Race for the cure. Dot com.

-King-
09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Seriously, the 2-14 season didn't depress me half as much as this news today has. That's how bad this is for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chocolate Hog
09-12-2011, 04:50 PM
This thread is stupid.

Baby Lee
09-12-2011, 04:53 PM
This thread is stupid.
Yeah, because we never drafted Sylvester Morris.

Pants
09-12-2011, 04:54 PM
B-Rush came back from his torn ACL after 6 months and was a fucking beast defender on a National Championship squad for KU. Determination, youth and talent coupled with the miracles of modern medicine can net you a good result.

Chocolate Hog
09-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah, because we never drafted Sylvester Morris.

You do realize he had more than 1 knee injury and they all were non-contact.

Fritz88
09-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Seriously, the 2-14 season didn't depress me half as much as this news today has. That's how bad this is for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

It is a shocker. I am trying to fight losing interest in the season. He's just a special player.

Infidel Goat
09-12-2011, 04:58 PM
My college football team (Wake Forest) has a wide receiver (Chris Givens) that we signed after he tore his second ACL while in high school.

He ran a 10.7 100 M race 15 weeks after he tore his first ACL. He ran a 10.11 100 M race during his senior year (after recovering from his second ACL tear).

He caught 7 passes for 170 yards against Syracuse in this year's opener. This weekend he caught 6 passes for 111 yards against NC State.

He's quick and shifty.

In short, Berry can come back fine from this injury.

booger
09-12-2011, 04:58 PM
And doesn't it also depend on the severity of the tear? Aren't there different grades of ACL tears?

I think so. Different degree w/sprains too. Full tear, partial tear, slight tear. I think w/the knee it is about the other ligaments/tendons too. The MCL like TJack had last year can heal w/o surgery. Obviously not with the ACL.

Achilles depends on location of the tear if it was high up closer to the calf muscle or low closer to the heel. The ones' real close to the heel are the worst kind.

Could be wrong, that's just what i've gathered over the years reading up on football injuries.

lcarus
09-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I mean we can engineer fruit to be seedless and glow in the dark cats, but we still can't breed an athlete to have a good solid knee? Don't even get me started on chicken engineering. Pretty soon they'll be growing chicken mcnuggets.

Fish
09-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Yes. Berry is lost. He went the way of John Goodman.

The Bad Guy
09-12-2011, 05:05 PM
This thread is stupid.

No fucking kidding.

There have been numerous instances of players coming back and having long careers after ACL injuries and playing at a high level.

But I'm sure Fritz will post about all the 30 some players that didn't come back like they are even close to the same thing as Berry.

Trent Green had his knee shredded and he was able to return.

Pants
09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
No ****ing kidding.

There have been numerous instances of players coming back and having long careers after ACL injuries and playing at a high level.

But I'm sure Fritz will post about all the 30 some players that didn't come back like they are even close to the same thing as Berry.

Trent Green had his knee shredded and he was able to return.

Did you even read the OP, brah?

kcpasco
09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
I mean we can engineer fruit to be seedless and glow in the dark cats, but we still can't breed an athlete to have a good solid knee? Don't even get me started on chicken engineering. Pretty soon they'll be growing chicken mcnuggets.

Ya why can't they just give Berry some mechanical knee that makes him run twice as fast. Then we could have Super Eric Berry.

lcarus
09-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Ya why can't they just give Berry some mechanical knee that makes him run twice as fast. Then we could have Super Eric Berry.

That's what I'm saying. These guys make a zillion dollars. Why not use some super technology to get this guy back and better than ever. Nobody would be the wiser. Next time Stevie Johnsonhead tried to pull that stunt he'd get his skull caved in on Berry's mecha-knee.

siberian khatru
09-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Jeremy Maclin tore his ACL, and when he came back he was even faster.

TRR
09-12-2011, 05:16 PM
He will be back at 100 percent. After rehab it will be like it never happened. I've torn an ACL before play basketball when I was younger and after rehab, I was back to my old self playing high school football and basketball. Now is that the NFL?? Not hardly....But Berry will be completely fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

CrazyPhuD
09-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Gentlemen we can rebuild him. We have the technology. Better than he was before, better, stronger, faster......

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6MXyU4WcWRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CrazyPhuD
09-12-2011, 05:25 PM
But seriously this is a non-issue. Back in the day this used to be a serious injury. Now it's a complete non-event. These happen so frequently that they are sports medicine specialty. The challenge is they do not heal on their own, they need replacement. But once replaced there is no reason to expect the person will return to less than 100%.

LiveSteam
09-12-2011, 05:29 PM
That's what I'm saying. These guys make a zillion dollars. Why not use some super technology to get this guy back and better than ever. Nobody would be the wiser. Next time Stevie Johnsonhead tried to pull that stunt he'd get his skull caved in on Berry's mecha-knee.

I got ya

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LyDxTMYuxFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lcarus
09-12-2011, 05:31 PM
He could block a ton of field goals and punts with those stilts.

CrazyPhuD
09-12-2011, 05:32 PM
I got ya

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LyDxTMYuxFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would have laughed if he was jumping in the street and got hit by a car....

Fritz88
09-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Did you even read the OP, brah?

For realz.

GoHuge
09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah I know quite a few ortho docs that say that cadaver ligaments can be twice as strong as our originals in the knee. Most are using Achilles tendons which are the strongest tendons in the human body rather than harvesting it from the patient's body. That's what they do for spinal fusions now too. Rather than harvesting the bone for a graft from the iliac crest than use a cadaver bone paste instead. All the cadaver allograft/alloderm is stripped of its DNA so rejection is very rare. He will be just fine.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-12-2011, 06:48 PM
The ACL, much like the UCL, is an injury that was once devastating, but is now as much mental as it is physical.

He didn't rupture an Achilles, need microfracture, have a Lisfranc injury, or tear his patella tendon. Those are the killers.

BryanBusby
09-12-2011, 06:50 PM
I sure hope someone finds him :(

Crush
09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
I sure hope someone finds him :(

This

We need to put his picture on a milk carton.

Garcia Bronco
09-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Players can fully recover from and ACL. It's all mental.

Shogun
09-12-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm blaming Thomas Jones, it wouldnt surprise me if that thug spent all evening Saturday giving him a charlie horse.

chiefqueen
09-12-2011, 07:19 PM
B-Rush came back from his torn ACL after 6 months and was a ****ing beast defender on a National Championship squad for KU. Determination, youth and talent coupled with the miracles of modern medicine can net you a good result.

That plus Mario Chalmers, horrific FT showing, and the other team NOT knowing to foul when you are up by 3 and the clock's running out.

Gonzo
09-12-2011, 07:29 PM
LMAO @ everyone acting like your dog was just shot.

The guy tore his ACL, he'll be back and just as good after he rehabs. Even if he isn't, he'll still perform at a high enough level to secure that position for years. He's young and resilient. He'll heal fast and be back on track by pre-season.

I guess I don't get as worked up about the Chiefs being shitty as I used too. Since getting a child, mortgage, car payment and a career I suppose the word is "perspectives."
Posted via Mobile Device

JoeyChuckles
09-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Have we lost Eric for good?

I don't think loosing a player for a season is ever "for good". Not sure how you see any good from it.

kcpasco
09-12-2011, 07:36 PM
I blame Cassel.

His suck jumped into Berry's knee and ripped out his ACL.

Its spreading like the damn plague.

KurtCobain
09-12-2011, 07:38 PM
I blame Cassel.

:banghead:

loochy
09-12-2011, 08:21 PM
This is not a repost. The Eric Berry thread turned into another shouting match.

How many players have come out of a torn ACL and retained their pre-injury form?

The odds are that Eric might be done for good. He will be back for sure, but he will most likely not be the Eric Berry with the potential we had hoped for.

It is the most devastating injury in sports. I watch a lot of soccer and when a soccer player gets ACL'ed, he's gone.

Yeah. He's a goner. He's gonna die.

Gonzo
09-12-2011, 09:16 PM
I blame Cassel.

LMAO

Casselsuckitis.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pitt Gorilla
09-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Jeremy Maclin was arguably quicker/faster after he returned from his ACL injury.

Smed1065
09-12-2011, 09:43 PM
now a days, you can come back from ACL and be 100 percent.

Can, Yes. Odds?

Smed1065
09-12-2011, 09:52 PM
I think so. Different degree w/sprains too. Full tear, partial tear, slight tear. I think w/the knee it is about the other ligaments/tendons too. The MCL like TJack had last year can heal w/o surgery. Obviously not with the ACL.

Achilles depends on location of the tear if it was high up closer to the calf muscle or low closer to the heel. The ones' real close to the heel are the worst kind.

Could be wrong, that's just what i've gathered over the years reading up on football injuries.

I have only experienced Achilles and know it tried to prevent me from coming back to the US. Is very painful and took 2 years to fully recover but I came back to to US as planned. I do not think either would have stopped me. IMO.

Smed1065
09-12-2011, 09:54 PM
LMAO

Casselsuckitis.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey, I have been a supporter and defended b4 but fuck that.

Even Mother Teresa has limits.