PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Not spending money in free agency

lcarus
09-13-2011, 11:24 AM
We know the Chiefs have been very cheap when it comes to signing players the last couple of years. Even when it comes to acquiring solid depth. That much is obvious. Hell...look at our depth. My question is - why? Do they really just not like any of the guys out there? Are we waiting for something in particular? Or is he just really really sticking to the "building through the draft" philosophy and not budging from it? I don't get it. My brother thinks they're "waiting out Matt Cassel". LMAO I just don't know anymore guys.

loochy
09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Truthfully, I didn't see a lot out there this year...

Hoover
09-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm glad we didn't spend a lot of money.

Next year is a different story. We have a window with all of our young talent and load up and go for it.

ChiefsandO'sfan
09-13-2011, 11:28 AM
We know the Chiefs have been very cheap when it comes to signing players the last couple of years. Even when it comes to acquiring solid depth. That much is obvious. Hell...look at our depth. My question is - why? Do they really just not like any of the guys out there? Are we waiting for something in particular? Or is he just really really sticking to the "building through the draft" philosophy and not budging from it? I don't get it. My brother thinks they're "waiting out Matt Cassel". LMAO I just don't know anymore guys.

God i hope not 09 class was awful and 2010 not looking good right now beside berry.

Mr. Arrowhead
09-13-2011, 11:30 AM
God i hope not 09 class was awful and 2010 not looking good right now beside berry.

disagree about 2010 draft, it was a great draft, but it still doesnt make up for the disaster that the 2009 draft was

MahiMike
09-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Come on 2013! You can bet Clark didn't vote for that minimum salary rule.

HemiEd
09-13-2011, 11:38 AM
The season ticket holders, and locals that buy tickets can vote on this policy.

But to be honest, due to the lockout, I didn't see a lot of time to do much. But he could have signed a couple that would come in pretty handy right now.

Chiefnj2
09-13-2011, 11:41 AM
disagree about 2010 draft, it was a great draft, but it still doesnt make up for the disaster that the 2009 draft was

What was/is "great" about the 2010 draft other than the gimme pick of Berry?

lcarus
09-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Truthfully, I didn't see a lot out there this year...

Not even for depth at tackle, safety and tight end?

</post>
09-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't disagree with the approach. I think there's plenty of examples of elite franchises doing it this way. The risk is that you have to make sure you hit with your draft every year. Pioli's approach is proven. His performance is not at this point. 2011 is the rubber match.

58-4ever
09-13-2011, 12:34 PM

Moeaki had a great rookie year.

58-4ever
09-13-2011, 12:37 PM

Asamoah and Sheffield both have potential as well

Mr. Arrowhead
09-13-2011, 12:39 PM

Got alot good value picks, with Lewis in the 5th and Asamoah in the 3rd along with Moeaki, then we still dont know about Sheffield but i liked what i saw out of him in the preseason, and the jury is still out on both Arenas and Mccluster.

track
09-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Hunt sets the budget so if the chiefs aren't out picking up free agents it's all on hunt.

Okie_Apparition
09-13-2011, 12:45 PM
IF you buy into the No OC wanted to work with Haley. Then maybe no player wanted to play for him. IF you buy into the Haley is on the hotseat. Then maybe no player wanted to go play somewhere where there was no stability. IF you buy into Cassel is the future of the franchise. Then maybe you hang up on Pioli & just laugh

lcarus
09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Also gotta remember that sometimes it takes time for draft picks to shape up. Nobody really thought much of Charles when we picked him. Certainly nobody thought one day he'd be one of the best backs in the league. Hali didn't bloom for a while. Mainly because of the 3-4 switch to OLB, I get that. Carr took a little while to perform. Same thing with Dorsey and even Bowe to an extent. I'm just pointing out. 2009...was a failure. We know that much. 2010 was good though. 2011 is still way too early to know for sure. For all we know, Baldwin, Houston, Hudson, Bailey, Brown, Stanzi, and Powe could be an amazing class.

ChiefsandO'sfan
09-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Comment From Doug
Hard not to take last weeks game as an indicator of whats to come. Where one can see the team improving on offense because lets face it how could it have gotten much worse.....I just can't say that about the defense. No push on the defensive line and our Safeties are at issue without Berry. I didn't think Shaun Smith and Brian Waters being gone would be so obvious......but early indications are not good. Why haven't we brought in a TE to look at?

12:22

Kent Babb:
Doug, They reportedly worked out a TE today, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that guy being signed or being a game-changer. That's why I keep saying Scott Pioli seems to have missed the boat on this. For some reason, he passed on adding depth to this team. The backup QB situation should've been a major red flag during training camp. Not even kidding, the Chiefs are in such a depth mess that one or two more significant injuries, and this will look an awful lot like the 2-14 season in 2008.

Kent Babb:
greg, I'm not as down on Cassel as many people are. He is not the biggest problem with this team, though he's not the biggest plus about the team, either. The Chiefs do need to spend more, and that's almost universally known. Having no depth and a mountain of money is a sorry message to send your fans.

ChiefsandO'sfan
09-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Comment From Guest
Regarding all the cap money the Chiefs have, how much of (saving) it do you think is by design since they may have Carr, Flowers, Bowe, etc to sign to big contracts. Are they waiting to see what they do this year, then structure their deals to count against the cap this year?

12:32

Kent Babb:
Guest, They're not going to split $30 million among Bowe, flowers, Carr, et al. That's just not reasonable. They could structure their deals that way, but it still doesn't explain why the Chiefs didn't go after more free agents, be they front-line guys or for depth.

BABB IS MONEY TODAY

MIAdragon
IMO not spending on the team means either we are too cheap or we dont think were ready to compete therefore they are not wanting to throw away money on backups. Either way it sucks.

Chiefnj2
I still don't understand why they didn't give Cody Slate a chance at TE.

CrazyPhuD
09-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Uhhh.....has there EVER been a team that's successful at spending in free agency? Seriously free agency is fools gold, the foreskins are a classic example of this. You spend your money on retaining your own players. Free agency is for value shopping of underrated players that may work in your system.

lcarus
09-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Uhhh.....has there EVER been a team that's successful at spending in free agency? Seriously free agency is fools gold, the foreskins are a classic example of this. You spend your money on retaining your own players. Free agency is for value shopping of underrated players that may work in your system.

I'm not saying we should go the Redskins route or anything, but to get some backups who at least belong in the league at the very minimum would have been nice. You know...for when things like Eric Berry going down for the entire season on the first series happens.

BigMeatballDave
09-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Comment From Doug
Hard not to take last weeks game as an indicator of whats to come. Where one can see the team improving on offense because lets face it how could it have gotten much worse.....I just can't say that about the defense. No push on the defensive line and our Safeties are at issue without Berry. I didn't think Shaun Smith and Brian Waters being gone would be so obvious......but early indications are not good. Why haven't we brought in a TE to look at?

12:22

Kent Babb:
Doug, They reportedly worked out a TE today, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that guy being signed or being a game-changer. That's why I keep saying Scott Pioli seems to have missed the boat on this. For some reason, he passed on adding depth to this team. The backup QB situation should've been a major red flag during training camp. Not even kidding, the Chiefs are in such a depth mess that one or two more significant injuries, and this will look an awful lot like the 2-14 season in 2008.

Kent Babb:
greg, I'm not as down on Cassel as many people are. He is not the biggest problem with this team, though he's not the biggest plus about the team, either. The Chiefs do need to spend more, and that's almost universally known. Having no depth and a mountain of money is a sorry message to send your fans.Babb is a moron. Cassel IS the biggest problem on this team.

Tim45ks
09-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Here is to the New coach for Next year, if I had to guess top pick of 4
1.Cower
2. Jon Gruden
3.Jeff Fisher
4. possibilyty of Romell Cranel however u spell it lol
in any order would be awsome to help an also francise Quaterback be nice!!! So tlemm me guys what do you bet that brian Waters is laughing his ass off right now????

suzzer99
09-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Fuck TE how about a safety? We simply cannot think it's a good idea to go into any game starting McGraw or Piscatelli, or apparently even Lewis now that he seems to have regressed (wtf - was Berry keeping him motivated?)

Fish
09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
I vote Romell Cranel for head coach!

mcaj22
09-13-2011, 03:08 PM
another shit season and guys like Bowe, Flowers, Carr may not want to re-sign with this team no matter how much money they throw at them

loochy
09-13-2011, 03:12 PM
1.Cower
2. Jon Gruden
3.Jeff Fisher

Well, since we are naming off a bunch of washed up names from yesteryear, let me add the following

Marty Schottenheimer
Jimmy Johnson
Tom Landry
Marv Levy
Hank Stram
Vince Lombardi

FAX
09-13-2011, 03:13 PM
The homer in me wanted to believe we were inactive in FA due to a desire to develop our own players. Then I was introduced to Saggy Pushyourbelly.

FAX

Chiefnj2
09-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Well, since we are naming off a bunch of washed up names from yesteryear, let me add the following

Marty Schottenheimer
Jimmy Johnson
Tom Landry
Marv Levy
Hank Stram
Vince Lombardi

I'll take Marty back, but you have to promise to kidnap him for the post season.

Dave Lane
09-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Ask him who he would have signed and who he would sign now if he was the Chiefs GM

Comment From Guest
Regarding all the cap money the Chiefs have, how much of (saving) it do you think is by design since they may have Carr, Flowers, Bowe, etc to sign to big contracts. Are they waiting to see what they do this year, then structure their deals to count against the cap this year?

12:32

Kent Babb:
Guest, They're not going to split $30 million among Bowe, flowers, Carr, et al. That's just not reasonable. They could structure their deals that way, but it still doesn't explain why the Chiefs didn't go after more free agents, be they front-line guys or for depth.

BABB IS MONEY TODAY

Easy 6
09-13-2011, 04:10 PM
another shit season and guys like Bowe, Flowers, Carr may not want to re-sign with this team no matter how much money they throw at them

Ouch, the truth really hurts.

Mojo Jojo
09-13-2011, 04:18 PM
I think Clark is saving the money to settle all the lawsuits the Chiefs are facing from former employees and vendors. And yes there are many...

Baconeater
09-13-2011, 04:23 PM
I think Clark is saving the money to settle all the lawsuits the Chiefs are facing from former employees and vendors. And yes there are many...
:spock: Can you elaborate on that?

Mojo Jojo
09-13-2011, 04:45 PM
:spock: Can you elaborate on that?

I have been served subpoena's for three different cases...former employees/vendors suing the the Chiefs.

Fruit Ninja
09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm glad we didn't spend a lot of money.

Next year is a different story. We have a window with all of our young talent and load up and go for it.

None of it even matters if Matt Cassel is out there. This whole rebuilding shit with new gm and coach is all for nothing.

Fruit Ninja
09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Another thing, how do they get to the min cap. They may be so far under, but by the end of the year, they HAVE to be at a certain point. Money has to be spent.

MIAdragon
09-13-2011, 05:38 PM
1.Cower
2. Jon Gruden
3.Jeff Fisher
4. possibilyty of Romell Cranel however u spell it lol
in any order would be awsome to help an also francise Quaterback be nice!!! So tlemm me guys what do you bet that brian Waters is laughing his ass off right now????

1. WTF
2. No fucking way
3. Ill pass on the white Herm
4. Are you drunk or high?

chop
09-13-2011, 06:21 PM
I find it interesting that the majority here were all excited about the Chiefs offseason and now they start off with a 41-7 beat down, everyone is complaining that they didn't spend enough money to make the team better.

Looking at this from a position by position basis, here is what I thought coming into the season:

QB- I'm not sold on Cassel. I think the Chiefs gambled that Palko was at least as good as anyone available on the street. So far it hasn't hurt us not having a proven veteran but the season is still young. I'm not sure who they should have targeted in the offseason.

RB- The Chiefs already had Thomas, Charles, and McCluster. They picked up McClain and everyone was happy. Though an upgrade to Jones is needed, I was happy with the group as a whole.

WR - This was a position of need going into the season since Bowe was the only productive WR on the team. The Chiefs signed Breaston and picked Baldwin in the first round of the draft. I was happy with the off season moves.

TE- Moeaki is the only ascending player on the roster. I was hoping the Chiefs would make a move on another TE. Not just as a backup but for running two TE sets. I was not happy about the off season here.

OL- The Chiefs cut Waters and resigned Weigman. They also drafted a player that could train under Weigman for a year. I was concerned that Weigman may have lost something due to age but I was ok with a young promising player in the wings. Also, I liked the Gaither signing. Hopefully it pays off. I was a little worried going into the season but I was ok with the moves the Chiefs made here.

DL - Signing Gragg and drafting Powe and Bailey had me feeling a ok with the offseason moves here.

LB - Signing Hali and drafting Houston were positive moves. They also tried to create depth by signing Siler. Sheffield came back. I was positive about this position.

DB - Still waiting for Carr/Flowers to be resigned. Two promising starting safeties on the roster. They brought in competition. Could have used better backups. As soon as Flowers/ Carr were resigned somewhere this year I would be happy about this group. Hindsight is 20/20. It would have been nice to have picked up better depth but I wasn't concerned until after Berry got hurt.

Everyone keeps talking about the failure of them not spending all the cap on FA's. I would only complain about them keeping all of that money if they didn't use it sometime during the season to resign Flowers/Carr/Bowe (unless any of them had a major dropoff).

KCChiefsFan88
09-13-2011, 10:17 PM
OL- The Chiefs cut Waters and resigned Weigman. They also drafted a player that could train under Weigman for a year. I was concerned that Weigman may have lost something due to age but I was ok with a young promising player in the wings. Also, I liked the Gaither signing. Hopefully it pays off. I was a little worried going into the season but I was ok with the moves the Chiefs made here.

Everyone keeps talking about the failure of them not spending all the cap on FA's. I would only complain about them keeping all of that money if they didn't use it sometime during the season to resign Flowers/Carr/Bowe (unless any of them had a major dropoff).

Fat Scott must appreciate you sucking him off with this post.

You were satisfied with what the Chiefs did (or DIDN'T do) at offensive line? How about a legit starting right tackle? Fat Scott couldn't find spare change to bring one in? How about another pass rushing LB?

chop
09-13-2011, 10:23 PM

You were satisfied with what the Chiefs did (or DIDN'T do) at offensive line? How about a legit starting right tackle? Fat Scott couldn't find spare change to bring one in? How about another pass rushing LB?

I was hoping that Gaither would help out. That is the only reason I was ok with them not getting another RT. Gaither, when healthy, is a "legit" tackle.

Pass rushing LB. Isn't that what Houston was supposed to provide?

chop
09-13-2011, 10:26 PM

I guess Whitlock must appreciate your skills.

TEX
09-13-2011, 10:49 PM
IMO, the Chiefs did not do enough this off season to match the level of improvement and success they achieved in 2010. A team on the rise should have found a way to improve more than they did. Their moves didn't make me or anyone think they were ready to take the next step. Just my take.

T-post Tom
09-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Someone has been floating the theory that Pioli is waiting out Haley. They supposedly don't get along and a new coach will be in place after this season. Seems a bit far-fetched, but who knows?

Jerm
09-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Someone has floating the theory that Pioli is waiting out Haley. They supposedly don't get along and a new coach will be in place after this season. Seems a bit far-fetched, but who knows?

Does it seem so far fetched?

Is Pioli cerebral enough to know that if Haley continues his BS like running off other coaches and being a complete dick that he might just lose the team which to me may already be happening now?

Therefore, he'll have a reason to can him at the end of the year...

Maybe seems far fetched at first but the more you think about it....:eek:

Dave Lane
09-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Who would YOU have brought in that was so good?

Dave Lane
09-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Someone has floating the theory that Pioli is waiting out Haley. They supposedly don't get along and a new coach will be in place after this season. Seems a bit far-fetched, but who knows?

I have a theory too. That Haley is the lost spirit of Marco Polo and Pioli is the spirit of Genghis Khan and the two will meet in the middle of the field the day after the season ends.

The battle will be with tomahawks and they will first draw a blade across their chest and scream a powerful war cry. Then encircled by all the players that haven't died in a fire or in a aids tree from the start of the season, they will lock in mortal combat. There can only be one!

Thats my theory. And what it is too.

T-post Tom
09-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Does it seem so far fetched?

Is Pioli cerebral enough to know that if Haley continues his BS like running off other coaches and being a complete dick that he might just lose the team which to me may already be happening now?

Therefore, he'll have a reason to can him at the end of the year...

Maybe seems far fetched at first but the more you think about it....:eek:

I think it's unlikely because Pioli has the ability to bring in any free agent he wants. He's Haley's boss. He's not going to forego adding talent because it'll somehow detract from his ability to fire Haley and hire a new coach. Besides, he's on his 3rd year into a 5 yr contract. I think something else is afoot. I just hope Clark Hunt hasn't been taking ownership lessons from David Glass. :banghead: (Also unlikely.)

T-post Tom
09-13-2011, 11:28 PM
I have a theory too. That Haley is the lost spirit of Marco Polo and Pioli is the spirit of Genghis Khan and the two will meet in the middle of the field the day after the season ends.

The battle will be with tomahawks and they will first draw a blade across their chest and scream a powerful war cry. Then encircled by all the players that haven't died in a fire or in a aids tree from the start of the season, they will lock in mortal combat. There can only be one!

Thats my theory. And what it is too.

I don't know what you're smoking, but I want some. Your theory should be made into a blockbuster Hollywood extravaganza. Russel Crowe plays Haley and Sly Stallone plays Pioli. Gold baby, GOLD!