PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Well, that explains the lack of a pass rush

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Was listening to Sirius on the drive home from class today, and Gannon's show was on.

Happened to catch him say, paraphrasing, "Romeo Crennel told me in our production meeting that they felt they could get a ton of pressure on Fitzpatrick by sending only three or four guys and dropping the rest in coverage."

WTF was RAC thinking? And why didn't he bother to adjust after realizing he was dead wrong?

The Franchise
09-14-2011, 12:46 PM
I said it in an earlier thread. A majority of the time....he would only send Hali. The Bills countered that by double teaming Hali and Fitzpatrick raped us.

We lost to the Bills because the coaching staff didn't put in any fucking work.

And Matt Cassel is a piece of shit.

ModSocks
09-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Hali dropped into coverage a lot. I don't think I've ever seen a game where he dropped into coverage that much. Apparently Romeo bought the hype about the Bills O-line being dreadful just like the rest of us.

I guess he thought Dorsey and Jackson would step it up....

BigMeatballDave
09-14-2011, 12:51 PM
This is like the fucking 3 stooges all over again.

BossChief
09-14-2011, 12:52 PM
I said it during the game and a few times since, if Romeo doesn't turn it up a couple notches to bring pressure...he is gonna paint himself in the same lite as grob by letting teams pick us apart every game.

You simply can't run all zone when you have no safeties.

ModSocks
Sounds like this is what Haley meant when he said he was taking 100% of the blame. His coaching staff wasn't prepared at all.

Titty Meat
This coaching staff doesn't have a clue.

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2011, 12:53 PM
I said it during the game and a few times since, if Romeo doesn't turn it up a couple notches to bring pressure...he is gonna paint himself in the same lite as grob by letting teams pick us apart every game.

You simply can't run all zone when you have no safeties.

Yep, a good pass rush HELPS those shitty safeties.

He should have been dialing up pressure, not sitting back.

KC-TBB
09-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, they only had 9 months to prepare...

OnTheWarpath15
09-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Hali dropped into coverage a lot. I don't think I've ever seen a game where he dropped into coverage that much. Apparently Romeo bought the hype about the Bills O-line being dreadful just like the rest of us.

I guess he thought Dorsey and Jackson would step it up....

There were a bunch of people here that thought we could go 3-1 in the first 4 games on talent alone.

Apparently some of our coaches felt the same way.

BossChief
09-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Gilberry
Dorsey
Houston
Hali
DJ
Belcher

Every one of those guys are good pass rushers...fucking use em.

I can deal with games where we get beat deep a few times, as long as we force some rushed throws and fumbles.

That's the ONLY way we are gonna hide these safeties.

The Franchise
09-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Romeo better come out and blitz the shit out of Stafford. If he tries to play that zone shit.....Megatron is going to have a record setting day.

BossChief
09-14-2011, 01:01 PM
There were a bunch of people here that thought we could go 3-1 in the first 4 games on talent alone.

Apparently some of our coaches felt the same way.

I was absolutely one of them, but talent won't get you shit if you don't use it properly.

Like dropping Hali and Houston in coverage all day.

Might as well make Dexter McCluster a lead blocker while were at it...

milkman
I said this earlier, and I'll say it again.

In today's NFL, you must get after the QB and get pressure, and you must have a QB that can perform under pressure.

Running the ball to control the clock, and playing bend but don't break defense will never win you a championship.

ModSocks
Gilberry
Dorsey
Houston
Hali
DJ
Belcher

Every one of those guys are good pass rushers...****ing use em.

I can deal with games where we get beat deep a few times, as long as we force some rushed throws and fumbles.

Too bad that's not Romeo's M.O. He's Mr. Bend but Don't break.

He's suppose to be a smart man. Now I'm anxious to see if this team can recover and apply some pressure vs Detroit.

ModSocks
09-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Romeo better come out and blitz the shit out of Stafford. If he tries to play that zone shit.....Scheffler is going to have a record setting day.

FYP

Reerun_KC
09-14-2011, 01:11 PM

In today's NFL, you must get after the QB and get pressure, and you must have a QB that can perform under pressure.

Running the ball to control the clock, and playing bend but don't break defense will never win you a championship.

Oh and generally recognize that the TE is apart of the offense. The TE can and will rape you if you chose to ignore it...

See Crennels Defense... We still havent learned anything from the Baltimore playoff game...

FAX
09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't know where to put this post, so I'll just put it here.

Just watched Haley's press conference on the Chiefs homepage. He looks tired, man. Tired and almost defeated. He's saying the words, "re-bound", "hard work", "respond to adversity", etc. There's no Haley Energy behind them, though. He looks like a man who has had his ass kicked and the ambulance got lost. He must have used the word, "hope" a dozen times in 17 minutes.

I pity the fool.

FAX

BossChief
09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
If we even attempted a pass rush, most of those completions to the two tight ends that killed us, never happen. Most of them happened at or after the 4 second mark in the play

CupidStunt
09-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Gilberry
Dorsey
Houston
Hali
DJ
Belcher

Every one of those guys are good pass rushers...****ing use em.

LMAO

Dorsey is an abortion of a pass-rusher. And Belcher? WTF are you smoking?

HemiEd
09-14-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't know where to put this post, so I'll just put it here.

Just watched Haley's press conference on the Chiefs homepage. He looks tired, man. Tired and almost defeated. He's saying the words, "re-bound", "hard work", "respond to adversity", etc. There's no Haley Energy behind them, though. He looks like a man who has had his ass kicked and the ambulance got lost. He must have used the word, "hope" a dozen times in 17 minutes.

I pity the fool.

FAX

Already? Damn, that didn't take long. He should probably try and pick up some strange at the "Cigar Box."

mikey23545
09-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Are we sure that gif of a coach sleeping in the pressbox wasn't Crennel?

DJ's left nut
09-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I said it in an earlier thread. A majority of the time....he would only send Hali. The Bills countered that by double teaming Hali and Fitzpatrick raped us.

We lost to the Bills because the coaching staff didn't put in any fucking work.

And Matt Cassel is a piece of shit.

It was an absolute mirror image of the 49ers game last season.

Our staff clearly outclassed theirs and absolutely put clown shoes on Singletary. The Chiefs dominated the 49ers from both a preparation and scheme standpoint.

I'll note that the ass whupin' was harsh enough to cost Singletary his job.

You're absolutely correct - the effort put forth by the Chiefs coaching staff was miserable.

Dave Lane
09-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted for mother fucking truth

BossChief
09-14-2011, 01:23 PM
LMAO

Dorsey is an abortion of a pass-rusher. And Belcher? WTF are you smoking?
You don't know what you're watching then.

When Belcher has been brought on the blitz he has been very effective at it. His 2 sacks against Baltimore are just one example.

In 3 years, Dorsey has never been asked to be anything other than a run defender. The tools are there.

Chiefnj2
09-14-2011, 01:24 PM
You don't know what you're watching then.

When Belcher has been brought on the blitz he has been very effective at it. His 2 sacks against Baltimore are just one example.

In 3 years, Dorsey has never been asked to be anything other than a run defender. The tools are there.

Apparently in week 1 he was asked to pressure the QB. It is silly to say he wasn't ask to rush the passer when he played 3rd down last year and wasn't taken out in passing situations.

Dragonocho
09-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Time for the 4-3?

mikey23545
09-14-2011, 01:25 PM
I can understand Crennel overestimating his DL before the start of the game (I guess). I think I could even cut him some slack on wanting to stick with his gameplan through the first half...

BUT HOLY SHIT WHEN THE **** DO YOU WAKE UP AND SEE YOUR PLAN ISN'T WORKING AND CHANGE IT!?!?!??!

:cuss:

BossChief
09-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Chan knew what we were gonna do and we never changed it once we realized that...if we ever did.

Really disappointed in our coaches more than anything after game one

BossChief
09-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Apparently in week 1 he was asked to pressure the QB. It is silly to say he wasn't ask to rush the passer when he played 3rd down last year and wasn't taken out in passing situations.

I'm sorry that you don't understand 3-4 football. Dorseys play last year is what got Hali his stats.

CupidStunt
09-14-2011, 01:32 PM

LMAOLMAOLMAO

The hilarity of you thinking someone else doesn't know what they're talking about when you post this homer trash. Hahahahaha.

CupidStunt
09-14-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm sorry that you don't understand 3-4 football. Dorseys play last year is what got Hali his stats.

Hali's play is what got Hali's stats you fucking idiot. Dorsey isn't fit to sniff Hali's jock, never has been and absolutely never will.

Chiefnj2
09-14-2011, 01:33 PM

You are telling me that you think on passing downs where KC rushes 4 (Gilberry, NT, Dorsey and Hali) that only Hali is supposed to get to the QB? Does Gilberry realize he shouldn't have picked up a few sacks.

Frosty
09-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know what percentage of the defensive snaps Dorsey and TJ played? it seemed like Gilberry and Bailey were out there a lot. The Chiefs used some unusual front formations.

BossChief
09-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Hali's play is what got Hali's stats you fucking idiot. Dorsey isn't fit to sniff Hali's jock, never has been and absolutely never will.

If you were paying attention, you would have noticed that Dorsey was taking up 2 blockers all year and that let Hali work 1 on 1.

This isn't rocket science here, folks.

the Talking Can
09-14-2011, 01:45 PM
the good thing is, we never adjusted

i like consistency when it leads to humiliation...

Fat Man to Haley: "We're getting our brains beat in...oh well, nothing you can do about it"

Haley to Fat Man: "True...true....like when I was finger banging this broad sitting next to my wife..."

Ref to Haley: "Games over coach....you're the only person left on the field"

BossChief
09-14-2011, 01:48 PM
You are telling me that you think on passing downs where KC rushes 4 (Gilberry, NT, Dorsey and Hali) that only Hali is supposed to get to the QB? Does Gilberry realize he shouldn't have picked up a few sacks.

In our scheme, the interior linemen in a 40 front are supposed to occupy the guards and center and allow the ends to get the pressure.

If you don't believe me, go watch the DVRs of the Gilberry sacks.

Being a big part of an effective pass rush doesn't have to mean you are the one getting the glory.

FAX
09-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Already? Damn, that didn't take long. He should probably try and pick up some strange at the "Cigar Box."

I think he's been watching film on Detroit and realizes that there are new records out there for Cassel, Mr. HemiEd. This Sunday The Mattster may throw it 24 times for a negative 200 yards.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I hate to say it, but there's a part of me that kinda hopes Suh (sp?) rips Cassel's head clean off.

FAX

BossChief
09-14-2011, 01:55 PM
I think he's been watching film on Detroit and realizes that there are new records out there for Cassel, Mr. HemiEd. This Sunday The Mattster may throw it 24 times for a negative 200 yards.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I hate to say it, but there's a part of me that kinda hopes Suh (sp?) rips Cassel's head clean off.

FAX

You're not alone there, FAX.

I've NEVER thought I would ever say it, but I do hope Cassel gets hurt at one point so someone else gets a chance.

All failing projects have to end sooner or later.

Dave Lane
09-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Nope I hope he just loses his job. Either figure it back out or get out of the way.

FlaChief58
09-14-2011, 02:32 PM
I've been a Cassel supporter and was willing to stand behind him through this year. After our recent raping at the hands of the bills, I say fuck him! The casshole era needs to end now. Let's finish the rebuild and find a QBOTF. Here is to Suh to have a career day on sunday. :toast:

lcarus
09-14-2011, 02:35 PM
We wasted #3 and #5 overall picks on Dorsey and Jackson. Face it. The worst seasons this franchise has ever seen and this is who we drafted to help turn the team around? Jesus...

keg in kc
09-14-2011, 02:36 PM
You're not alone there, FAX.

I've NEVER thought I would ever say it, but I do hope Cassel gets hurt at one point so someone else gets a chance.

All failing projects have to end sooner or later.That potential scenario brings back fond memories of 2008, when we got to watch the terrific trio of Huard, Croyle and Thigpen.

I'm in the minority on this one I know, but "not Matt Cassel" is not quite enough of a qualifier for me to want to see either of the other guys starting at this point.

LOCOChief
09-14-2011, 02:44 PM
We wasted #3 and #5 overall picks on Dorsey and Jackson. Face it. The worst seasons this franchise has ever seen and this is who we drafted to help turn the team around? Jesus...

Just fucking dumb plain and simple.

Dorsey is and will beast.

ReynardMuldrake
09-14-2011, 02:44 PM
I was willing to give Cassel yet more time to see what a little Zorn magic could do. It's clear to me now that he's a dead end. He's been given more than enough of everything he needs to succeed. It's clear now he simply doesn't have what it takes. The sooner we get rid of him the better.

Titty Meat
09-14-2011, 02:46 PM
the good thing is, we never adjusted

i like consistency when it leads to humiliation...

Fat Man to Haley: "We're getting our brains beat in...oh well, nothing you can do about it"

Haley to Fat Man: "True...true....like when I was finger banging this broad sitting next to my wife..."

Ref to Haley: "Games over coach....you're the only person left on the field"

LMAO

BossChief
09-14-2011, 02:51 PM
That potential scenario brings back fond memories of 2008, when we got to watch the terrific trio of Huard, Croyle and Thigpen.

I'm in the minority on this one I know, but "not Matt Cassel" is not quite enough of a qualifier for me to want to see either of the other guys starting at this point.

How much worse can a qb play?

I came into the season thinking I wouldnt talk about starting Stanzi at all because he doesn't know the playbook at all and that would be unfair to the kid.

That is gonna end soon if Cassel doesn't pull his head out of his ass.

Dick Stanzi with 1/3 of the playbook > Matt Cassel with all of it

Hammock Parties
09-14-2011, 02:57 PM
We didn't adjust on offense OR defense.

We had 170 yards of offense in the first half.

We had 60 in the second half.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2011, 02:59 PM

As a run defender Dorsey is one of the best in the league. As a pass rusher, Hali is one of the best in the league. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

keg in kc
09-14-2011, 03:00 PM
How much worse can a qb play?Don't ever ask that question. You might actually get your answer.

lcarus
09-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Just ****ing dumb plain and simple.

Dorsey is and will beast.

I'm not saying Dorsey is a bad player. I'll just leave it at that.

bevischief
09-14-2011, 03:17 PM
WTF did the coaching staff do during the lockout?... It is not showing at this point like much.

CupidStunt
09-14-2011, 03:20 PM
As a run defender Dorsey is one of the best in the league. As a pass rusher, Hali is one of the best in the league. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

:spock:

Hali shits all over Dorsey. I mean, Dorsey is not in the same GALAXY as Hali as a player. I realize people want to rationalize over another bust and a player we all WANTED to be great, who we thought would be great, but let's cut down on the stupid here. At his absolute best Dorsey's a fat biotch who can just about absorb a double-team without his knees buckling, while Hali can take over and at times completely dominate a game.

It's not about apples and oranges, it's about people's refusal to accept that Dorsey is not remotely close to anchoring the DL, all because he was supposed to and they liked him coming out. It's no different to those who used to crap all over Hali while he was developing because they didn't like the pick, despite the fact that Hali was and always has been way more advanced than Dorsey is and at this point likely ever will be.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Hali shits all over Dorsey. I mean, Dorsey is not in the same GALAXY as Hali as a player.

BigRock
09-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Romeo, Romeo. Wherefore art thou adjustments, Romeo?

CupidStunt
09-14-2011, 03:35 PM
As a run defender Dorsey is one of the best in the league.

No, he's not remotely one of the best in the league. Stop believing EVERYTHING that shitty website feeds you, dude. Have you seen some of the trash atop its rankings?

Just because Dorsey's playing the run on 3rd-and-15 against a 4-wide set, doesn't mean he's elite at it.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2011, 03:39 PM
:)

1. Led the league in tackles for 3-4 ends
2. Rated by PFF as one of the best ends against the run.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4661/player?r=1

Dorsey's 937 snaps were more than any other 3-4 defensive end in the NFL, and he graded out as a top-five run-stopper in Pro Football Focus' ratings.

11) What constitutes a “stop” or “offensive failure?”

It’s when an offense fails to get:

40 percent of the required yards for another first down on first down
60 percent of the required yards for a first down on second down
A first down on third or fourth down

Players who got 40 or more stops last season:

Kyle Williams
Ndakamong Suh
Kenyon Coleman
Justin Smith
Glenn Dorsey

DeMarcus Ware
James Harrison
Anthony Spencer
Cameron Wake

Terrell Suggs
Trent Cole
Justin Tuck
Charles Johnson

No, he's not remotely one of the best in the league.

Do you even watch him play? He was making plays like this constantly last year.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/RAMS/drsey.gif

ClevelandBronco
09-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Eventually people will understand that Romeo was in no way responsible for the Patriots' success. He's worthless.

CupidStunt
09-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Is that honestly the best you've got? I mean, REALLY? Because that's fucking embarrassing. A fluke play against a rookie where he got destroyed at the POA and managed to make an asissted clean-up tackle after the RB runs right into him.

Penetration? Honestly, fella. Shoot me a PM and I'll help you understand football if you like. Getting put on your knees by a rook isn't good, for lesson 1.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Is that honestly the best you've got? I mean, REALLY? Because that's fucking embarrassing. A fluke play against a rookie where he got destroyed at the POA and managed to make an asissted clean-up tackle after the RB runs right into him.

Penetration? Honestly, fella. Shoot me a PM and I'll help you understand football if you like. Getting put on your knees by a rook isn't good, for lesson 1.

If every defensive lineman on the Chiefs did that on every running play we'd lead the league in run defense

Dorsey was dominating at the POA and getting off blocks and making tackles all year long, and that's why he got respect.

BigMeatballDave
09-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Eventually people will understand that Romeo was in no way responsible for the Patriots' success. He's worthless.Seriously?

lcarus
09-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Eventually people will understand that Romeo was in no way responsible for the Patriots' success. He's worthless.

He only came here for the BBQ.

BigMeatballDave
09-14-2011, 04:38 PM
No, he's not remotely one of the best in the league. Stop believing EVERYTHING that shitty website feeds you, dude. Have you seen some of the trash atop its rankings?

Just because Dorsey's playing the run on 3rd-and-15 against a 4-wide set, doesn't mean he's elite at it.You don't pay attention to individual play, obviously.

BigMeatballDave
09-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Loads of dumbassery going on in here...

BossChief
09-14-2011, 07:56 PM

You sir, are a damn fool.

WhiteWhale
09-14-2011, 08:01 PM
I understand why Romeo felt that way going in, but I think he should have adjusted as the game went on as the pass rush was simply not getting it done.

Then again with our safeties unable to cover anyone at any point in the game, I'm not sure we would have done much better had we blitzed a bunch.

tk13
09-14-2011, 08:02 PM
I don't think Crennel has ever been a big blitz guy. At least not in recent years. That's part of the reason he always gives Manning fits. Instead of trying to outsmart him with blitzes he makes Manning go into robot mode and take the safe plays underneath. It's really not surprising at all, especially against what we assumed was an inferior team.

WhiteWhale
09-14-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't think Crennel has ever been a big blitz guy. At least not in recent years. That's part of the reason he always gives Manning fits. Instead of trying to outsmart him with blitzes he makes Manning go into robot mode and take the safe plays underneath. It's really not surprising at all, especially against what we assumed was an inferior team.

Romeo shows a lot of blitz and pressure fronts, but he rarely brings more than 4 guys.

With Berry here I thought this team should blitz more... with safeties who can't cover at all, I'm not sure I can stand by that.

BossChief
09-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Thats the opposite of how I see things.

If you have weaknesses in the secondary, you should do whatever you can to try and rush the decision process and limit the amount of long developing plays.

You do that by bringing a little more pressure and making the offense react to that and you hope that forces mistakes and bad passes.

MIAdragon
09-14-2011, 08:26 PM

If you have weaknesses in the secondary, you should do whatever you can to try and rush the decision process and limit the amount of long developing plays.

You do that by bringing a little more pressure and making the offense react to that and you hope that forces mistakes and bad passes.

Sure lets just give up the BIG plays quickly and get them out of the way, I kid I kid. Even our blitzes look weak, get handled and leave us short in the secondary. We simply need the guys upfront to do their damn job.

notorious
09-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Romeo has always been a react guy instead of a dictate guy.

I want a guy that goes wildly crazy with aggresiveness. Pittsburgh dials up some nasty blitzes, along with the Ravens. They dictate the conditions of the game.

React defenses have sucked ass ever since the NFL laid out the red carpet for WR's and QB's.

BossChief
09-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Sure lets just give up the BIG plays quickly and get them out of the way, I kid I kid. Even our blitzes look weak, get handled and leave us short in the secondary. We simply need the guys upfront to do their damn job.

Houstons first step is totally uncoachable and his closing speed is borderline elite...he and Hali need to be getting after quarterbacks and disrupting running games.

If we think a defense that features Houston, Sabby and McGraw in zones all day is gonna stop ANYONE, we deserve to get the shit kicked out of us.

WhiteWhale
09-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Well, that's true.

The problem only really comes if the front 7 can't get pressure with a 5 or 6 man rush.

Which is more often than most fans want to acknowledge in general, but I like our front 7 's blitzing ability. You're probably right. Blitzing is probably an even better option with the injury having occurred.

NJChiefsFan
09-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Houstons first step is totally uncoachable and his closing speed is borderline elite...he and Hali need to be getting after quarterbacks and disrupting running games.

If we think a defense that features Houston, Sabby and McGraw in zones all day is gonna stop ANYONE, we deserve to get the shit kicked out of us.

Didn't really focus on individuals after the ass-kicking began but it seemed like Houston was in coverage more than he was going after Fitzpatrick.

Amnorix
09-15-2011, 07:44 AM

:rolleyes:

WTF is wrong with some of you people. Gunther sucks balls and is the worst DC in NFL history and now the Lions are tearing people's heads off and you're probably (hate to say it) going to watch Matt HoldstheBalltooLong Cassel get gangraped by the Lions defense this weekend.

Now Romeo Crennel with 25 years in the NFL or whatever dating back to the Giants and with more Super Bowl rings on his fingers than both Missouri teams put together is a brainless A-Hole who knows nothing about coaching.

MAYBE it's a talent thing. MAYBE losing one of, if not THE, best defender the team had knocked the game plan for a bit of a loop. Just a guess...

I certainly agree that the buck stopped with Belichick in all phases of the game, but Romeo was the one calling the defenses for those three Super Bowl wins, so your statement is flat absurd.

Whatever he does or doesn't do with the Chiefs isn't going to change the fact that he was a very important part of getting those rings his fingers.

Ace Gunner
09-15-2011, 08:13 AM
fucking idiots. if you can't get to the QB with a 4 man rush, you got shitty player you fucks.

WhiteWhale
09-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Romeo has always been a react guy instead of a dictate guy.

I want a guy that goes wildly crazy with aggresiveness. Pittsburgh dials up some nasty blitzes, along with the Ravens. They dictate the conditions of the game.

React defenses have sucked ass ever since the NFL laid out the red carpet for WR's and QB's.

Meh.

I don't buy this at all. Fans love aggressive defenses, but statistically they are not better at all.

Aggressiveness should be determined by personnel.