PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Concerned citizens unite against Republican E-Verify Bill

orange
09-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Groups ... "bought a full-page ad in Politico on Thursday criticizing the mandatory E-Verify bill. They also sent an open letter to members of Congress asking them to oppose the bill to avoid disastrous consequences for American citizens.

"Punishing businesses and telling citizens they can't work is no way to stop illegal immigration...or fix the economy," the ad reads.

According to the groups' letter, the mandatory E-Verify is problematic because it:

1. Creates a de facto national I.D. System - even for citizens;

2. Violates individual civil liberties such as the right to work and free speech;

3. Mandates a costly job-killing regulatory burden that cripples small business;

4. Requires employers to become enforcement agents of the federal government;

5. Encourages identify theft of law-abiding citizens

punchline here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/15/republican-e-verify-bill-opposition_n_964915.html

SNR
09-15-2011, 06:41 PM
I've been warned about the national ID stuff for a long time now. It's scary shit, but I've heard enough about it over the years and it's never become reality. I think this is sensationalist crap.

HonestChieffan
09-15-2011, 08:34 PM
E verify is a great system. In fact as I recall, if you have a government contract, you are required to use e-verify to hire new people.

Been around for a number of years, and it allows an employer to know they wont be in violation of federal law by employing illegals.

Sounds like another thing to throw in the air and see if somebody can distract people from real issues.

Lots of info on the website...http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=75bce2e261405110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=75bce2e261405110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

orange
09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Sounds like another thing to throw in the air and see if somebody can distract people from real issues.

Who do you think they "distracted" from the real issues? La Raza? Illegal immigrant supporters? Maybe ACORN, huh?

ThatRaceCardGuy
09-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Honestchiefsfan hates anyone who might be a non white male republican...

alnorth
09-15-2011, 10:03 PM
I'll never understand the objection to E-verify by the left, this is really stupid. (assuming the "left" is ostensibly against illegal immigration and has honest concerns, which I don't believe for a microsecond)

1. You need a social security number to work. We have a national ID system now.

2. how? If you are worried about that will-rarely-happen situation where a legal citizen is denied, all you have to do is give the employer a safe harbor. E-verify cost you a job? Too bad, go complain to the feds.

3. bullcrap. The E-verify system is easy to use.

4. Nonsense. It is against the law to knowingly hire illegal aliens already. If you somehow know someone is illegal, you can't hire them. Asking them to use this system should not be a concern.

5. This one is really idiotic. I work for a massive insurance company, I have access to literally millions of names, addresses, and social security numbers, and I'm hardly alone. Thousands of people who are employed by your bank or someone you do financial business with can get your social security number if they want to. You already have to give your social security number to your employer, so where's the risk? Whoever runs E-verify?

The simple fact is there is NO good reason AT ALL not to mandate the use of E-verify but the no borders, amnesty for all, there is no such thing as illegal far-left crowd tries to make up these laughable reasons why we should not strengthen and enforce the law with simple improvements.

mikey23545
09-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Who do you think they "distracted" from the real issues? La Raza? Illegal immigrant supporters? Maybe ACORN, huh?

Are you drinking tonight?

orange
09-15-2011, 10:13 PM

I'll never understand the objection to E-verify by the left, this is really stupid. (assuming the "left" is ostensibly against illegal immigration and has honest concerns, which I don't believe for a microsecond)

Are you drinking tonight?

I think some folks should click my "punchline here" link above - and see who these groups are.

:doh!:

alnorth
09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
I think some folks should click my "punchline here" link above - and see who these groups are.

:doh!:

Oh, there's definitely a few moron republicans out there who are whored out to corporate donors that want cheap illegal labor, but the vast majority of the opposition is from the left.

Garcia Bronco
09-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Get it up and running.

mikey23545
09-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Groups ... "bought a full-page ad in Politico on Thursday criticizing the mandatory E-Verify bill. They also sent an open letter to members of Congress asking them to oppose the bill to avoid disastrous consequences for American citizens.

"Punishing businesses and telling citizens they can't work is no way to stop illegal immigration...or fix the economy," the ad reads.

According to the groups' letter, the mandatory E-Verify is problematic because it:

2. Violates individual civil liberties such as the right to work and free speech;

3. Mandates a costly job-killing regulatory burden that cripples small business;

punchline here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/15/republican-e-verify-bill-opposition_n_964915.html

I assume the only thing more terrifying to a liberal than this would be a law requiring someone to prove they are a citizen who is legally registered to vote at all polling places before they could cast their ballot.

2bikemike
09-15-2011, 11:16 PM
[INDENT]

IMHO this is exactly how you attack illegal immigration. The other thing is quit freaking giving them benefits and handouts.

2bikemike
09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/escondido/article_34b39224-3e7f-56c6-9f4a-5b7452ea3f11.html

Escondido Disposal Inc. recently fired more than 50 of its roughly 200 employees after a federal immigration audit found those workers lacked the documents required for jobs in the United States, company officials said Tuesday.

Mayor Sam Abed and other aggressive critics of illegal immigration praised the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Tuesday for conducting such audits, which have become much more frequent under the Obama administration.

"About 55 jobs that were occupied by illegal workers are now available for legal workers," said Abed, stressing the scarcity of jobs in a bad economy. "Every business must follow the law, and we need to have zero tolerance."

But others criticized the ICE audits, complaining that they are sometimes inaccurate and that they often displace veteran employees navigating their way through the complicated process of acquiring proper documentation. Such audits also encourage creation of an underground economy where workers are paid "under the table," critics said.

"These are hard-working people providing for their families and helping their communities," said Pedro Rios, San Diego director for the American Friends Service Committee immigrant rights group. "They get replaced by less-skilled workers, and the companies get exposed to lawsuits."

Jeff Ritchie, vice president of Escondido Disposal, said he was shocked to learn last month that about one-quarter of his workforce lacked proper documents, such as valid Social Security numbers or papers allowing them to work in the U.S. as non-citizens.

"We're as vigilant as possible," said Ritchie, noting that many of the employees were hired before there was an independent way to verify their status. "We didn't get fined, because the audit found that we were in compliance. The only problem was, the documents that the employees presented were counterfeit."

Ritchie said his company, which hauls trash and recyclables for the entire city, was one of the first to begin using the federal government's E-Verify system. But that program is geared to determine the eligibility of new workers, not those already on staff.

Mayor Abed said the audits are a crucial complement to E-Verify, which compares data from a wide range of U.S. records with information a new employee provides on the "I-9" employment eligibility form.

"A big drawback of E-Verify is that it doesn't go back and check existing employees," said Abed. "I'm pleased ICE is doing audits to make businesses accountable."

ICE shifting focus

ICE announced in June that 1,000 companies across the country had been notified they were facing audits. But ICE officials declined to provide a list of companies, and they do not release the results of audits unless the company is subject to criminal charges or civil fines.

Before 2009, ICE had focused primarily on workplace raids instead of audits.

Ritchie said the fired employees, who made between $8.50 and $13 an hour and worked mostly in Escondido Disposal's recycling facility, had not been deported for lacking proper documents.

Lauren Mack, ICE spokeswoman for the San Diego region, said workers typically aren't deported after audits because the audits are part of ICE's effort to shift the focus of enforcement from employees to employers.

"Responsible employers who seek to conduct their business lawfully are put at an unfair disadvantage as they try to compete with unscrupulous businesses," Mack said in an email response to questions from the North County Times. "Such businesses gain a competitive advantage by paying illegal alien workers low wages, or otherwise exploiting them."

Mack declined to confirm any details of the Escondido Disposal audit and declined to say what other businesses in the region had been audited or were scheduled for an audit.

Harvey Mitchell, chief executive of the Escondido Chamber of Commerce, and Gary Knight, chief executive of the San Diego North Economic Development Council, said they have not heard any concerns from their members about audits.

Eric Larson, executive director of the the county's Farm Bureau, said the local agricultural community hadn't been targeted so far, but that many farmers are concerned they will be soon be audited.

ICE officials have said they choose businesses for audits based on tips and the type of business, with companies that affect "critical infrastructure and key resources" more likely to be audited.

Escondido a target?

But Hun Taing, field director for the San Diego chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, said she thinks Escondido companies are likelier targets for audits because Escondido is the only city in the region to establish a formal partnership with ICE.

Under that partnership, which was created in May 2010, two ICE agents assist patrol officers in their contacts with illegal immigrants charged with crimes. They also help Escondido police determine whether suspects are in the country illegally or are wanted for deportation.

Taing also said the audits threaten to eliminate a large chunk of the workforce in Escondido, where Latinos outnumber whites 49 percent to 40 percent. She also said many of the workers perform jobs that citizens wouldn't want, such as sorting through trash for Escondido Disposal.

Ritchie said the open positions were quickly filled in a tight labor market, but he said it was not easy to replace the experience those workers represented.

Councilwoman Olga Diaz agreed that the fired Escondido Disposal workers had unappealing jobs, and that they should have the right to apply for citizenship after being productive members of the community for so many years.

"It makes me sad for people to be displaced after achieving some sort of stability," she said.

Read more: http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/escondido/article_34b39224-3e7f-56c6-9f4a-5b7452ea3f11.html#ixzz1Y5doTcIs

LOCOChief
09-16-2011, 07:06 AM

Me too.

LiveSteam
09-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Me too.

Im in with this crowd.
Please go home so I can go back to working 40 hour weeks.

Radar Chief
09-16-2011, 07:20 AM

The way you whine about him you’d think Honestchieffan stole your boyfriend or something.

Otter
09-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Dottie, Hogfarmer axed mees to tells ya if yous want another shots at a hogs sperm enima to send hims a PM.

HonestChieffan
09-16-2011, 09:39 AM
The way you whine about him you’d think Honestchieffan stole your boyfriend or something.

And I ever offered to get him a sheet to wear in here

vailpass
09-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Orange you have completely jumped the shark with this one. Take your fearmongering, pro-illegal tactics over to KC Native's casa but GTFOOH with it. Pronto.

vailpass
09-16-2011, 11:50 AM

1. You need a social security number to work. We have a national ID system now.

2. how? If you are worried about that will-rarely-happen situation where a legal citizen is denied, all you have to do is give the employer a safe harbor. E-verify cost you a job? Too bad, go complain to the feds.

3. bullcrap. The E-verify system is easy to use.

4. Nonsense. It is against the law to knowingly hire illegal aliens already. If you somehow know someone is illegal, you can't hire them. Asking them to use this system should not be a concern.

5. This one is really idiotic. I work for a massive insurance company, I have access to literally millions of names, addresses, and social security numbers, and I'm hardly alone. Thousands of people who are employed by your bank or someone you do financial business with can get your social security number if they want to. You already have to give your social security number to your employer, so where's the risk? Whoever runs E-verify?

The simple fact is there is NO good reason AT ALL not to mandate the use of E-verify but the no borders, amnesty for all, there is no such thing as illegal far-left crowd tries to make up these laughable reasons why we should not strengthen and enforce the law with simple improvements.

reppity rep rep

Donger
09-16-2011, 11:54 AM

That's hilarious.

vailpass
09-16-2011, 11:57 AM
That's hilarious.

The OP or the fact Orange not only believes it but presents it as fact?

Donger
09-16-2011, 11:59 AM
The OP or the fact Orange not only believes it but presents it as fact?

Yes.

evenfall
09-16-2011, 01:59 PM
This is all a cynical and transparent attempt to confuse people. If you read that stupid statement it sounds more conservative than a Democrat during election season. When in reality, verification every time is an extremely mainstream opinion

go bowe
09-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Oh, there's definitely a few moron republicans out there who are whored out to corporate donors that want cheap illegal labor, but the vast majority of the opposition is from the left.

did you go through the link to see the open letter?

there's a lot of tea party guys that signed it...

are they whored out to corporate donors?

of course, the vast majority of the opponents are from the left, but a surprising amount of it is coming from the political right, and that's the point of the op, i think...

go bowe
09-16-2011, 02:00 PM

hey now, don't go implying that hcf is a homosexual...

nttawwt...

Otter
09-16-2011, 03:27 PM

So basically you're saying it's Obamacare.

ThatRaceCardGuy
09-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Im in with this crowd.
Please go home so I can go back to working 40 hour weeks.

I work and you live off the government( unemployment)....you should be a little more grateful for my tax dollars

ThatRaceCardGuy
09-16-2011, 06:42 PM
And I ever offered to get him a sheet to wear in here

Your gayness is showing.

HonestChieffan
09-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Your gayness is showing.

Is that a bad thing? You must be a closet dweller. Forget the sheet. We can burn it at the next rally.

go bowe
09-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Is that a bad thing? You must be a closet dweller...

nttawwt...

whoman69
09-16-2011, 08:54 PM
You won't find me turning down a chance to get illegals out of the system. Businesses should be fined for knowingly hiring illegals. Some of the reasoning by these groups is contrary to fact. Are you telling me by doing sweeps for illegals those jobs are going to be filled by less qualified people? What?