PDA

View Full Version : Computers PC Question for the networking geeks?

ROYC75
09-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Here's the scenario....

Running 3 windows XP's, 1 Vista and a Brother MFC 8680 DN lazer printer,fax all in one. I have a Linksys 10/100/1000 5 port multi switch to link up my networking. The Brother all in one requires ( according to Brother spec's ) to be linked up to the multi switch ( router ) . Problem is , I do not have enough ports now.

I was thinking about going to a Netgear ProSafe Plus 8port gigabite switch. At $ 139.99, that's a good price and will speed up the network. However, I'm fairly fast now, I was told I could hook up another Linksys multi switch like I currently have for $ 25.00.

Does anybody know if I can run 2, 5 ports as a tree ? Will it lose speed ? Is it better to spend the $ 139.99 to speed up the system with the extra machine running ( Brother all in one )?

Answers, I want answers dang it, you guys have never let me down before.

( Yes, I know the Vista stinks, etc., but it was free )

ROYC75
09-15-2011, 08:17 PM
All pc's / all in one's are wired with Cat 5 cables. If I go to the gigabite switch, Is it necessary to go to Cat 6 cables or is 5 OK ?

Saulbadguy
09-15-2011, 08:19 PM
The speed of the switch makes no difference in your configuration. Does your current switch have an "UPLINK" port? If so, just buy another cheap switch and hook up the "uplink" port to the new switch. If it doesn't have an uplink port, you should be able to use a "Crossover cable" and hook it up from one standard port to another.

$140 is a complete rip off for just a home/workgroup switch, IMO. You don't need gigabit, unless you are doing lots of HUGE file transfers...

ROYC75
09-15-2011, 08:27 PM
The speed of the switch makes no difference in your configuration. Does your current switch have an "UPLINK" port? If so, just buy another cheap switch and hook up the "uplink" port to the new switch. If it doesn't have an uplink port, you should be able to use a "Crossover cable" and hook it up from one standard port to another.

$140 is a complete rip off for just a home/workgroup switch, IMO. You don't need gigabit, unless you are doing lots of HUGE file transfers...

Not really any file transfers, small at best, just need the extra ports. It does have the uplink, I was thinking I could just marry them up.

III is wanting to link up his game system, so basically, I need to upgrade.

I was informed the gigabit would speed up the network? Is this not true ?

Saulbadguy
09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Not really any file transfers, small at best, just need the extra ports. It does have the uplink, I was thinking I could just marry them up.

III is wanting to link up his game system, so basically, I need to upgrade.

I was informed the gigabit would speed up the network? Is this not true ?

Theoretically, 100 mb can transfer 12.5 megabytes a second. So a 100mb file would transfer in under 10 seconds.

Gigabit would speed up the network, but you would not see the benefit of it unless you did push the limits of the current 100mb configuration.

Another thing is your internet is limited at a certain speed (around 3mb-20mb a second), which is slower than a 100mb network connection, so upgrading to gigabit would make absolutely no difference in internet speeds.

ROYC75
09-15-2011, 08:43 PM
OK, Thanks.

Saulbadguy
09-15-2011, 08:46 PM
OK, Thanks.

That'll be $40.

QuikSsurfer
09-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Go grab a 5 or 8 port workstation switch for $30.

ROYC75
09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
1 last question?

Is there a limit to how many you could marry up / tree, etc.?

I would think as long as you came out of a port to the uplink you could continue to add 4 ports at a time.

Would you eventually lose any speed by doing this ? Reason I ask, I am looking at the possibility of expanding the business soon. I think I have landed a rather large account and if so, I need to upgrade and add more pc's for employees.

ROYC75
09-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Go grab a 5 or 8 port workstation switch for $30.

I just found the same 5 port switch I currently have now for $ 13.00, I'm thinking of buying several to have on hand.

Saulbadguy
09-15-2011, 08:51 PM
1 last question?

I would think as long as you came out of a port to the uplink you could continue to add 4 ports at a time.

Would you eventually lose any speed by doing this ? Reason I ask, I am looking at the possibility of expanding the business soon. I think I have landed a rather large account and if so, I need to upgrade and add more pc's for employees.
In the upper limits of 250.

Aspengc8
09-16-2011, 09:07 AM
In the upper limits of 250.

This. You can keep daisy chaining the switches as the number of hosts increase. Just don't end up looping the devices together. The uplink port is really just a cross-over cable to connect like devices together. Until you start pushing >80% traffic on the 100Mb ports, don't worry about the gigE ports.

Saulbadguy
09-16-2011, 09:49 AM
This. You can keep daisy chaining the switches as the number of hosts increase. Just don't end up looping the devices together. The uplink port is really just a cross-over cable to connect like devices together. Until you start pushing >80% traffic on the 100Mb ports, don't worry about the gigE ports.

The 250+ is more of a logical limit, I wouldn't recommend nodes being on different subnets in a home/small office network.

Probably should just buy this, to reduce complexity. 16 ports.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111012

Fish
09-16-2011, 09:49 AM
1 last question?

Your concern should be your internet connection speed, instead of the number of computers you're hooking up. You can connect as many computers as you'd like, but just remember that all those computers are using the same internet connection. So if you have 10 computers hooked up, your internet bandwidth is going to be split roughly 10 ways. If you've got the cheapest internet connection available, you're going to see slowness on your network rather quickly with each additional computer that's connected. You may find that you need to increase your internet speed to allow for more computers.

ferrarispider95
09-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Most likely your computers only have a 10/100 card anyway, so the gigabit would do you no good unless you upgraded your ethernet cards to 10/100/1000.