PDA

View Full Version : Question of league managing ethics

SNR
09-15-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm the commish for an nfl.com league. This is the league I do with all my friends. We've had the same guys for the past 5 years. If I ever do only one league, it's gonna be this one.

Anyway, I really appreciate the league manager powers that nfl.com has added. In the past the commissioner was in charge of nothing... only thing I could do was invite people to the league and that's it. Now you can edit teams for people, change waiver orders, anything. You can block people from performing league functions... all kinds of shit. You can control anything.

Well, tonight one of my friends (he's.... not football smart at all let's just say) dropped Steven Jackson because he heard he might be injured for this week and didn't trust his backup RBs. Yeah. I saw that and facepalmed pretty hard.

Sure enough though, everybody lined up on the waiver wire and put in claims. Fuck that.

So I used my league manager powers and reversed the transaction. I told my buddy what I had done and that I don't want a free RB1 floating out there for some lucky asshat retard to pick up and suddenly complete his team. My buddy didn't seem to have a problem with my decision, and plead ignorance in his decision.

So did I make the right move, or would you have said, "He's a bad player who made a bad decision. Fuck that. Let him live with it and have the league play out normally?"

SNR
09-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Oh, and if you disagree with what I did, I'm probably going to ignore what you're saying completely :D

JASONSAUTO
09-15-2011, 11:08 PM
I would be pissed if I was in the league.

Sorry a dumbshit is a dumbshit, you shouldn't block his moves
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
09-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Ok ignore it then
Posted via Mobile Device

Smoke
09-15-2011, 11:13 PM
"He's a bad player who made a bad decision. **** him. Let him live with it and have the league play out normally"

You know it's the right move or you wouldn't have asked.

Jewish Rabbi
09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
I personally wouldn't have reversed it. Some people will avoid waiver pickups to stay at the top for stuff like this.

cdcox
09-15-2011, 11:32 PM
It's not so much protecting him as preventing someone from getting an extra player that throws the whole league out of balance.

SNR
09-15-2011, 11:35 PM
My reasoning:

Fantasy football itself is already a game that requires people to get lucky in order to win. Yeah, there's a lot of strategy involved, but there's a shit ton of luck as well. I don't need something like "Oh, free RB1? I'll take it!" to shift it even more to the luck side. The douchebag who picks him up used no strategy and deserves no credit for the pick up. He clicked a button to pick up close to a sure thing, and it's something that EVERYBODY knows.

The shit rape terrible team who did poorly in week 1 picks the dude up. There's no kind of vying for the prize. That sort of thing is garbage. I'm not a fan at all of propping up weak teams or giving unfair advantages to good teams who just got unlucky in week 1, but NOW they have a team that owns faces.

I don't think that will affect any of your opinions about this kind of stuff, but whatever. I'm confident I made the right decision for my league. If people in my league have a problem with it, they can hash it out with me. Whatever. At the very least, it's an interesting issue to talk about.

Pestilence
09-15-2011, 11:36 PM
It's not so much protecting him as preventing someone from getting an extra player that throws the whole league out of balance.

This.

SNR
09-15-2011, 11:37 PM
It's not so much protecting him as preventing someone from getting an extra player that throws the whole league out of balance.Yeah. This is it entirely. I don't think I made that clear enough in the thread header.

Shaid
09-15-2011, 11:44 PM
That's the reason they need to have undroppable players like on ESPN. People dropping some great player can have a big impact on the league. If you are going to do this, maybe you should make a rule that noone can just drop a player they picked in the first few rounds unless they are out for the year, etc.

Smoke
09-16-2011, 12:03 AM
I'll not say your heart isn't in the right place. Jewish Rabbi got it right. People work the WW. Yes it's week 1, but will you make the same ruling in week 8? Week 10?

Suck ass deal but his screw up is on him. There is a fine line between Commish and Asshole.

Good luck! I hope a group of friends can work it out.

lostcause
09-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Not the commisioner's place to presume the value of a player and if an owner is capable of making a sound decision. There is no collusion here, he is making a move based upon what he thinks is best for his fantasy team. It is presumptive of you to reverse it, and i suppose you will ignore this then, but you have no business stepping in here.

SNR
09-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Ok ignore it then
Posted via Mobile Device
I think you know why?

If I responded and debated my actions with people who disagreed with me, then what is the point of asking what you would do?

MoreLemonPledge
09-16-2011, 02:10 AM
First off, he should be undroppable. If not, it should be understood that any pick in the first 2/3 rounds is undroppable, barring injury or a completely obvious lack of performance (see 2010 Randy Moss).

Secondly, is your waiver system worst-to-first or is it an auction system, or at least one that gives everybody the same chance at getting a player? If it's purely worst-to-first, I would have a huge problem with some asshat getting a stud because his team was terrible in Week 1.

Who's to even say there isn't collusion involved, knowing that the first waiver would get such a player?

Bump
09-16-2011, 08:33 AM
tell him to learn up. That;s what undroppable lists are for.

In my league with friends some idiot traded Adrian Peterson for Ryan Grant straight up.

Predarat
09-16-2011, 08:46 AM
You are worse than Roger Goodell.

Pestilence
09-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Did anyone in your league have an issue with it? If they're all friends then I'm assuming that they thought the guy was being a dumbass and left it at that.

SNR
09-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Did anyone in your league have an issue with it? If they're all friends then I'm assuming that they thought the guy was being a dumbass and left it at that.Everybody in the league knows he's a dumbass when it comes to football. It's totally cool. And I doubt anybody noticed. Hell, I didn't notice it until one of my friends called me up and asked, "Hey, ummm... how do we view the current waiver order? Ohh... I'm ahead of you? Sweet, well, Marcus dropped Steven Jackson. Keep it hushed, though. I'm hoping nobody notices." Yeah, sure.

SNR
09-16-2011, 10:28 AM
First off, he should be undroppable. If not, it should be understood that any pick in the first 2/3 rounds is undroppable, barring injury or a completely obvious lack of performance (see 2010 Randy Moss).

Secondly, is your waiver system worst-to-first or is it an auction system, or at least one that gives everybody the same chance at getting a player? If it's purely worst-to-first, I would have a huge problem with some asshat getting a stud because his team was terrible in Week 1.

Who's to even say there isn't collusion involved, knowing that the first waiver would get such a player?Absolutely. If this were an ESPN league and it was a silent auction system for signing free agents, I'd have no problem whatsoever with people putting in claims for Steven Jackson. But it's a worst-to-first waiver wire system, which probably would have given Steven Jackson to a guy who has a good team, but didn't get any production out of his players in Week 1

Old Dog
09-16-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm confident I made the right decision for my league.

Then you did the right thing.

It would never be reversed in any of mine, but all three of mine have been together for a while (8+ years) with a very low turnover. If we did have a new owner that made a move this blatantly idiotic he would likely not be invited back.

WV
09-16-2011, 12:14 PM
I understand your reasoning, but if you guys want the guy to learn then you should have let him take his lumps. In my mind the commissioners role is to prevent others from taking advantage of a guy like that, not to interfere if the same guy makes stupid decisions.

Pestilence
09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
I understand your reasoning, but if you guys want the guy to learn then you should have let him take his lumps. In my mind the commissioners role is to prevent others from taking advantage of a guy like that, not to interfere if the same guy makes stupid decisions.

He's fine in doing it this once....this early in the season. The guy knows now that it won't happen again.

FD
09-16-2011, 08:36 PM
I think you made the right move. As other's said, its not about protecting the idiot that dropped him, but that letting it go through could mess the whole league up. Its bad enough having someone that dumb in your league, its good that you prevented his idiocy from ruining the competitive balance altogether.

Short Leash Hootie
09-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Someone dropped david wright in my league but I didn't reverse it because you manage YOUR team not anything else that's done in good faith...stupid or not... I bet if you had the number 1 waiver pick you would have steven jackson on your team right now..

SNR
09-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Someone dropped david wright in my league but I didn't reverse it because you manage YOUR team not anything else that's done in good faith...stupid or not... I bet if you had the number 1 waiver pick you would have steven jackson on your team right now..Actually I wouldn't. But there's no way to prove that.

Imagine if I won the championship that year. It's ridiculous to think that Steven Jackson would be the only reason why I won. But what would people be saying? "Duhhr... you're so fucking cheap. You don't deserve it." That's worse than not winning the championship at all in a league like this where everybody knows each other.

Mr. Plow
09-17-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I agree with your decision to help out someone that really doesn't know what he's doing - but really only because it's week 1. If it was week 6 or so, I wouldn't agree with it.

My feeling is if they are dumb enough to do it, they are dumb enough to accept the consequences.

Short Leash Hootie
09-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Steven Jackson won't be winning any leagues anyways...talk about overrated. Can't stay healthy.

Tim Hightower > Steven Jackson (in fantasy value)

SNR
09-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Steven Jackson won't be winning any leagues anyways...talk about overrated. Can't stay healthy.

Tim Hightower > Steven Jackson (in fantasy value)That's another reason why I wouldn't pick him up. My RBs are Arian Foster, Legarette Blount, Tim Hightower, James Starks, and Ben Tate. I'm fucking loaded.

Short Leash Hootie
09-17-2011, 01:21 PM
I would've spent up to $30 on hightower...I put my dumbass roommate on my laptop and told him to get hightower at all costs and the fucker spaced out

Ace Gunner
09-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I'd throw you in guan- and waterboard your ass until you confess to your sins :D

ngoc
09-19-2011, 05:16 AM
You should have stooped to thier level, but i think you had every right to do so. i hate trolls as much as the next guy and i think they should all burn, but doing what they do doesnt make you any better than them.