PDA

View Full Version : Elections Ron Paul wins California Republican straw poll

KILLER_CLOWN
09-18-2011, 11:51 PM
September 17, 2011 | 8:16 pm

This weekend, the California Republican Party had its 2011 Fall Convention at the JW Marriott Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. One presidential candidate, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, spoke at a dinner on Friday night, and Saturday morning's breakfast featured two more contenders: Michigan Rep. Thaddeus McCotter and Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

Paul's fans were out in force both outside the hotel -- awaiting his arrival -- and inside the ticketed Lincoln Clubs Breakfast. He spoke last and was late, allowing McCotter to add a question-and-answer period to his prepared remarks (more on that later, check back).

McCotter is also on the roster of speakers for Sunday's Beverly Hills Tea Party, to be held from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Beverly Hills Park on Santa Monica Blvd.

Raucous cheers and whistles and whoops and screams -- one could be forgiven for wondering....
...if they were for an elderly 11-term House politician or Justin Bieber -- announced Paul's presence outside the doors. He then entered to another round of cheers and camera flashes.

(Paul is also hoping for a warm reception online, using the occasion of Constitution Day, the anniversary of the signing of the document on Sept. 17, 1787, to launch another 24-hour fundraising money bomb.)

Several breakfasters videotaped portions of Paul's speech, which likely would be familiar to anyone who's heard him the previous two times he ran for president -- in 1988 on the Libertarian Party ticket and 2008 in the Republican field.

He spoke at length about the historic underpinnings of current economic problems, his issues with American foreign and domestic policies, his desire to audit the Federal Reserve, his opposition to bank bailouts, and his concern that some politicians are not upholding their oath to defend the Constitution.

Among some of the lines that got the biggest cheers in the 20-ish minute talk were:

"We have endless wars overseas and endless welfare at home. We can't afford that anymore; we have to change those policies."

"We do need an absolutely thorough audit of the Federal Reserve," Paul added.

"What is the purpose of government and political action? I think the main purpose of our Constitution and political action should be the preservation of liberty."

"It would be nice if we had a lot more respect for the rule of law."

"You ought to have a right to work hard, and you ought to have a right to keep what you earn."

America's role is to have a strong national defense, "not to be the policeman of the world." (That one was particularly popular.)

He ended with "I'm running on peace and prosperity and personal liberty, the U.S. Constitution and the American tradition."

The congressman exited to chants of "President Paul."

There were Paul T-shirts and signs aplenty throughout the hotel, displayed by fans that ran the age gamut from teenagers to the elderly, wearing everything from jeans and sneakers to skirts, heels and suits.

Some time after the breakfast, Paul once again passed through the hotel, accompanied by an enormous, enthusiastic gaggle wielding cameras and waving signs.

The next largest group of signs and supporters visible on the path to and from the breakfast were for the current national front-runner, Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

They mostly consisted of groups of roving college-age men and women in "Americans for Perry" T-shirts.

Asked why she liked Perry, one twentysomething said, "He's awesome!"

Also speaking at the breakfast and doing some TV interviews was KRLA 870 AM talk-show host Kevin James, a registered Republican and former federal prosecutor who has announced his candidacy for Los Angeles mayor in 2013, when current Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa hits his two-term limit.

Saturday at the convention also featured a straw poll, conducted between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Pacific, with results announced during an evening banquet. Considering the large numbers of Paul fans who made their way to the Marriott, it's not surprising that he won the poll by a handy margin over second-place finisher Perry.

But after the two Texans, the percentages drop precipitously, with Bachmann only managing fourth despite her convention appearance.

Below find the results:

Congressman Ron Paul (374, 44.9%)

Governor Rick Perry (244, 29.3%)?

Mitt Romney (74, 8.8%)

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (64, 7.7%)

Jon Huntsman (17, 2.0%)

Herman Cain (15, 1.8%)

Newt Gingrich (14, 1.7%)

Thad McCotter (7, 0.8%)

Rick Santorum (7, 0.8%)

Gary Johnson (2, 0.2%)

Fred Karger (1, 0.1%)

Write-ins (15, 1.8%)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2011/09/ron-paul-rick-wins-perry-mitt-romney-california-straw-poll-bachmann-.html

ClevelandBronco
09-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Okay, before we go any farther, in what year?

KILLER_CLOWN
09-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Okay, before we go any farther, in what year?

Dated it for ya! ;)

ClevelandBronco
09-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Dated it for ya! ;)

Thank you.

Donger
09-19-2011, 06:52 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/763/545/dumb-dumber-lloyd-jim-carrey_display_image.jpg?1299106995

Dave Lane
09-19-2011, 07:07 AM
So you're saying there's a chance?

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2011, 07:18 AM
The Gardasil killer was #2, only 15.6% behind paul.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2011, 07:33 AM
KC, Michael Scheuer says a media lynching is headed Paul's way. The interventionist are very worried about his message.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 08:37 AM
People are worried about the guy who is polling at 5%? Not likely.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2011, 09:09 AM
People are worried about the guy who is polling at 5%? Not likely.

No I didn't say "people". That's a sweeping generality. I said it was the "interventionists" and that they were afraid of his "message." These warmongers know where the people are regarding war which makes his message dangerous to them. So you're gonna use strawmen now to debate? I guess so. Epic fail. It's a logical fallacy.

Remember people are polling at 73% as sick- of-war. Also, remember, McCain was polling at 4%. You know very well, that it depends on what poll you show as to where Paul polls too.

Let's see where Rick Perry winds up when more find out he supported TARP, Hillarycare, and stimulus funds. Let's see where he stands on the issue of Iran and/or more war.

patteeu
09-19-2011, 10:06 AM
No I didn't say "people". That's a sweeping generality. I said it was the "interventionists" and that they were afraid of his "message." These warmongers know where the people are regarding war which makes his message dangerous to them. So you're gonna use strawmen now to debate? I guess so. Epic fail. It's a logical fallacy.

Remember people are polling at 73% as sick- of-war. Also, remember, McCain was polling at 4%. You know very well, that it depends on what poll you show as to where Paul polls too.

Let's see where Rick Perry winds up when more find out he supported TARP, Hillarycare, and stimulus funds. Let's see where he stands on the issue of Iran and/or more war.

In the context of Ron Paul, "interventionist" and "people" are practically interchangeable terms.

Donger
09-19-2011, 10:20 AM
The interventionist are very worried about his message.

No, I seriously doubt that they are.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 11:09 AM
This poll could propel his candidacy in the same manner that Ames fueled Bachmann's.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2011, 11:53 AM
This poll could propel his candidacy in the same manner that Ames fueled Bachmann's.

No one is predicting anything—just you. For someone who thinks the man has no chance you sure act skeer'd that he might. Gotta close those loopholes to increase revenue for the state instead of letting us out of our cages to be free. Right Saul?

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm not in a cage. I'm in an office with my door shut, but I am free to open my door. Its not locked from the outside or anything.

As far as income tax goes, I don't think it should be a barter system that involves lawyers and accountants just to figure your bill. Taxes are a necessary evil. This is what you owe. This is what you pay.

You don't get to reduce your sales tax at Wal-Mart because you bought some girl scout cookies in the parking lot. You don't get to take a green-energy deduction when renewing your car tags.

I'm all for lower taxes. Lower the rates, though. Don't try to influence my behavior by charging me more if I don't have kids, pay off my mortgage, etc. THAT is the government trying to control you in case you haven't noticed.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm not in a cage.
It was a metaphor and we're all in one so to speak.

As far as income tax goes, I don't think it should be a barter system that involves lawyers and accountants just to figure your bill. Taxes are a necessary evil. This is what you owe. This is what you pay.
Huh? I wasn't talking about all taxes when I referred to "loopholes". I was referring to an Income Tax which we do not have to have, let alone make it more onerous.

You don't get to reduce your sales tax at Wal-Mart because you bought some girl scout cookies in the parking lot. You don't get to take a green-energy deduction when renewing your car tags.
Strawman. Where are there loopholes in sales taxes? What does sales taxes have to do with a national presidential election?

I'm all for lower taxes. Lower the rates, though. Don't try to influence my behavior by charging me more if I don't have kids, pay off my mortgage, etc. THAT is the government trying to control you in case you haven't noticed.
Yeah right, like this applies to sale taxes. You're mixing your categories up. But a flat income tax in the age of BIG govt is suppression. It provides no way out.

Freedom is the only way out of what we're in because what we're getting is fascist controls.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Huh? I wasn't talking about all taxes when I referred to "loopholes". I was referring to an Income Tax which we do not have to have, let alone make it more onerous.

Strawman. Where are there loopholes in sales taxes? What does sales taxes have to do with a national presidential election?

Yeah right, like this applies to sale taxes. You're mixing your categories up. But a flat income tax in the age of BIG govt is suppression. It provides no way out.

Freedom is the only way out of what we're in because what we're getting is fascist controls.

There was no strawman there. I was pointing out the fact that income taxes are the only taxes that can be bartered down by doing what the government wants you to do.

There shouldn't be ways to duck it. I dump all kinds of stupid expenses into my LLC in order to lower what I owe. Its legal, but its stupid. Our tax code has become a game, and accountants and lawyers are getting rich off of it at the expense of the treasury and taxpayer alike.

For someone who rails against big government, you sure seem to want to make sure that the IRS is always a behemoth. I happen to think the taxx code could and should fit on a post-it note. Your way got us the 71,684 page code that it is today.

Keep fucking that chicken.

patteeu
09-19-2011, 12:40 PM

His point was that (for the most part) you don't get to take advantage of loopholes when it comes to the sales tax. Arguing to get rid of loopholes in the income tax isn't the same as being in favor of higher taxes. It's an argument about the shape of the tax code, not the level of taxation.

But the sales tax isn't completely free of loopholes. Many states have a huge loophole built into their sales tax because they don't apply the tax to food.

This argument makes no sense whatsoever.

JohnnyV13
09-19-2011, 01:01 PM
There was no strawman there. I was pointing out the fact that income taxes are the only taxes that can be bartered down by doing what the government wants you to do.

There shouldn't be ways to duck it. I dump all kinds of stupid expenses into my LLC in order to lower what I owe. Its legal, but its stupid. Our tax code has become a game, and accountants and lawyers are getting rich off of it at the expense of the treasury and taxpayer alike.

For someone who rails against big government, you sure seem to want to make sure that the IRS is always a behemoth. I happen to think the taxx code could and should fit on a post-it note. Your way got us the 71,684 page code that it is today.

Keep ****ing that chicken.

Saul, you are EXACTLY right. The complex tax code, chock full of exclusions, IS a control mechanism.

Its also horribly inefficient. Washington spends abount 75 cents for every dollar it takes in, which means that ONE QUARTER of our tax dollars go to shuffling papers in Washington.

It is no accident that religious influence on government has waned as the complexity of the tax code has increased. The tax code has assumed the historical role of religion. Alliance with religion used to be how government exerted control over their populace beyond its ability to enforce law. Now they use the tax code to take your money, then give some back if you behave in a government-approved manner.

Not only do they waste an enormous amount of GDP shuffling papers in Washington, they also waste thousands of highly skilled, highly talented people on tax avoidence, when they could do something productive. That's not even to mention the millions of hours wasted by businesses and citizens dealing with tax issues. Nor does it consider all of the economically inefficient activities you engage in just to avoid taxation.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2011, 01:17 PM

Keep ****ing that chicken.
Nope. You missed my point or you are intentionally strawmanning. I am for reducing govt so we don't even have to worry about such things. That includes an IRS even existing and Keynesian Economics. Until, then I am for any way any person can legally use loopholes to reduce their burden.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
I think what needs to be mentioned about this particular Straw Poll, that has not been brought up is: unlike usual straw polls people show up, pay and vote. But, not here. Here all the voters were either a delegate or some official from the California Republican Party. So these guys were normally Establishment folks. That's the significance of this Straw Poll.

vailpass
09-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I think what needs to be mentioned about this particular Straw Poll, that has not been brought up is: unlike usual straw polls people show up, pay and vote. But, not here. Here all the voters were either a delegate or some official from the California Republican Party. So these guys were normally Establishment folks. That's the significance of this Straw Poll.

You lost me at "California".

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 03:47 PM

There is no significance to this nor any other straw poll.

SNR
09-19-2011, 04:03 PM
"If we simplify the tax code, we're going to have massive unemployment on our hands... THOUSANDS of tax accountants won't have jobs, and there's no telling what kind of repercussions that could have on the economy"

I'm waiting for some idiot moron thinktanker to get on MSNBC or CNN and spout bullshit like this if this country ever gets around to trimming down the income tax code

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2011, 04:09 PM
"If we simplify the tax code, we're going to have massive unemployment on our hands... THOUSANDS of tax accountants won't have jobs, and there's no telling what kind of repercussions that could have on the economy"

I'm waiting for some idiot moron thinktanker to get on MSNBC or CNN and spout bullshit like this if this country ever gets around to trimming down the income tax code

GOOD! Let Bachmann and all the other enforcers become homeless, they deserve their fate.

Chocolate Hog
09-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Paul is in 3rd place at 13%.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2011, 04:50 PM
There is no significance to this nor any other straw poll.

Perhaps to you, but it is significance in that these were GOP officials and delegates—not just show up, pay and vote types. Ya' know those folks you guys usually complain about. It's an added demographic.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
GOOD! Let Bachmann and all the other enforcers become homeless, they deserve their fate.

Yeah, a Tea Partier being a tax lawyer for the IRS. What a joke!

patteeu
09-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Yeah, a Tea Partier being a tax lawyer for the IRS. What a joke!

What a dopey position to take. For one thing, she no longer works for the IRS and could easily have been influenced by her tax law experiences to become a critic of our tax system.

Do you hold the same skeptical position for critics of American foreign policy who once worked for an organization through which America executes that policy (like Michael Scheurer or some of the other former CIA guys you consider "impeccable sources")?

Chocolate Hog
09-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Yea that is pretty stupid it's like those Paul supporters who thinking someone being a CFR member is damning evidence.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Hmmm what's interesting is that, on 9/14 the National Review poll shows no GOP candidate can beat Obama but they omit Paul in their poll.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/277086/poll-no-gop-candidate-would-beat-obama-katrina-trinko#

I got a phone call from a pollster for the GOP but they omit Paul. Imagine THAT!
I tell them Paul anyway. I doubt it was recorded.

BucEyedPea
09-19-2011, 05:24 PM
I like what this guy says in the comments section of that NR pll:

Order66
I'm fine with the Democrats deluding themselves into thinking they have a landslide in the making as long as we smart conservatives don't use the same flawed data as an excuse or motivation to nominate a RINO squish.

That's the only reason they would put forth polling data like this - knowing BHO may very well be toast, they want to moderate the GOP nominee to protect their recent gains. Barry cannot win. He has nothing upon which to run a campaign.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Paul is in 3rd place at 13%.

According to what poll? The most recent poll shows him tied for 5ty\6th at 5%.

SNR
09-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Anyway, sorry to include this off-topic post, but holy shit. Jon Huntsman is possibly the biggest douchebag "I get down with the young people, homey" politician the Republicans have seen for quite some time.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/still-lagging-in-polls-jon-huntsman-says-i-think-we-can-win-new-hampshire--20110916

Complementing the hog-riding, gun-shooting, maverick persona Huntsman has carefully cultivated, the former Utah governor seems to have set himself a quota of one pop culture reference per day. Since receiving flack for his vague reference to the band Nirvana during Monday’s GOP debate in Tampa, Florida, Huntsman has been touring New Hampshire, dropping mentions of classics like the movie Wayne’s World and Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven.”

“You know there was a great line in Wayne's World, the movie, something like, ‘Not worthy, not worthy,’” Huntsman said Wednesday as he sat down with state Sen. Nancy Stiles over two full plates of seafood at the 401 Tavern in Hampton, N.H. “Hardly worthy of this kind of food.”

During a town hall in Sandown, N.H. Thursday night, Huntsman took his pop culture knowledge to a deeper level, comparing the superficial format of debates to the short version of “Stairway to Heaven.” (Huntsman says he prefers the longer version.)

RNR
09-19-2011, 05:47 PM
According to what poll? The most recent poll shows him tied for 5ty\6th at 5%.

The one taken in his home~

SNR
09-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Do you guys know what Google is?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63871.html#ixzz1YRkBO3Le

Rick Perry leads Mitt Romney by a 7-point margin in the Republican primary for president, according to the latest Gallup/USA Today poll. The survey shows that Perry draws 31 percent of the GOP primary vote to Romney's 24 percent.

The top line numbers are different, but the margin is the same as in last week's CBS/New York Times poll. That survey showed Perry leading Romney, 23 percent to 16 percent.

In a one-on-one race between Perry and Romney, the Gallup/USA Today survey found the Texas governor would lead by 10 points, 49 percent to 39 percent.

Among the full field of candidates tested in the poll, the third-place finisher was Ron Paul, with 13 percent of the vote. Michele Bachmann took just 5 percent.

The survey is only slightly encouraging for Romney, who has seen Perry's lead come down from a post-announcement high in the mid-teens, into a more surmountable-seeming single digit range.

But the longer Perry is in the race, the more meaningful his lead is, and for a near-universally known candidate like Romney it can get harder to add support as time goes by

Chocolate Hog
09-19-2011, 06:08 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2011-09-19/republican-poll-gop-perry-romney/50467944/1

The survey, taken Thursday through Sunday, charts a GOP field that seems headed toward a showdown between Perry, with 31% backing, and Romney, at 24%.
The only other candidate in double digits is Texas Rep. Ron Paul, at 13%. Support for Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann has plummetted to 5%.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/09/11/rel15a.pdf

Sept. 9-11
2011 2011 2011 2011
Perry 30%
Romney 18%
Paul 12

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_US_09141205.pdf

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 07:25 PM
So he's at 8, 5, and 13% in polls released this week. That's pretty much where he's been the entire time.

ClevelandBronco
09-19-2011, 07:26 PM
So he's at 8, 5, and 13% in polls released this week. That's pretty much where he's been the entire time.

Adds up to 26. He just needs a few more polls.

Saul Good
09-19-2011, 07:29 PM

That would put him just ahead of Romney and still behind Perry.

Chocolate Hog
09-19-2011, 07:37 PM
He's doubled his numbers since he entered the race. National polls don't mean much anyway look at how he's doing in Iowa and New Hampshire.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-19-2011, 07:57 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HYMx6SjNFhQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HYMx6SjNFhQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

BucEyedPea
09-19-2011, 10:42 PM
O.M.G. That is wild, KC. Not just young folks either.

Chocolate Hog
09-21-2011, 12:33 AM
USA Today calls Ron Paul a top tier candidate.

SNR
09-21-2011, 12:45 AM
I know I can't make Saul leave forever due to his misunderstanding my prediction that Ron Paul would win delegates in the primaries.

But I'm just saying...

Chocolate Hog
09-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Does Saul know what a delegate is?

Saul Good
09-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Does Saul know what a delegate is?

I know what a "state" is. I plan to win twice as many of them as Ron Paul.

It would take a miracle for him to win a single Republican primary. Hell will freeze over before he wins the nomination. Short of that, it would take a write-in campaign for him to actually win a state. I like my chances.

Paul: 0
Saul: 0

Dave Lane
09-21-2011, 07:36 AM

5 more polls and he wins!

Dave Lane
09-21-2011, 07:37 AM
I know what a "state" is. I plan to win twice as many of them as Ron Paul.

2 x 0 = 0

I'm going for 50 times more than Paul

Saul Good
09-21-2011, 09:33 AM
2 x 0 = 0

I'm going for 50 times more than Paul

That math is going to blow billay's mind. He is convinced that if Ron Paul wins 10% more states than he won in 2008, that means that he will have won 5 states instead of none. If he denies it, I will provide you the link where he couldn't comprehend basic math for an entire thread.

ChiTown
09-21-2011, 09:49 AM
That math is going to blow billay's mind. He is convinced that if Ron Paul wins 10% more states than he won in 2008, that means that he will have won 5 states instead of none. If he denies it, I will provide you the link where he couldn't comprehend basic math for an entire thread.

LMAO - Please post it. DO IT!

Saul Good
09-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Just bumped it. Its the "so much for Ron Paul not being electable" thread.

ROYC75
09-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Stop the campaigning now, 1000 people have voice their opinion, Ron Paul will be the RNC nominee. :rolleyes:

The Paulites are out in droves to win Straw Polls . Imagine that !

go bowe
09-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Stop the campaigning now, 1000 people have voice their opinion, Ron Paul will be the RNC nominee. :rolleyes:

The Paulites are out in droves to win Straw Polls . Imagine that !

you're just against common-sense policies and enlightened innovation...

ron paul will not only win the nomination, he will win the general election...

just you wait and see...

ROYC75
09-21-2011, 12:03 PM
you're just against common-sense policies and enlightened innovation...

ron paul will not only win the nomination, he will win the general election...

just you wait and see...

I think I will wait and see.

Common Sense policies, I have always been for them. I have said many times I like many things about Paul, just not all of him. I have said many times, I do not think he will win the RNC, I just don't think he will get pass the primary.

Enlighten innovation ? What does Paul bring to the table here ?

IMHO, He would do better as a 3rd candidate than winning the primary. But if for some reason he does win the RNC nomination, he could well beat Obama if Obama continues to falter.

go bowe
09-21-2011, 01:12 PM
ummm, roy...

you may want to adjust your sarcasm meter...

Chocolate Hog
09-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Saul did your father in law type that for you since he does everything else for you?

Chocolate Hog
09-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Ever figure out what a Delegate is Saul?

Saul Good
09-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Saul did your father in law type that for you since he does everything else for you?

The FIL that I help financially? No, he didn't help my type this post. What a strange question.

Saul Good
09-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Ever figure out what a Delegate is Saul?

Yes, back in 4th grade civics class. Then again, my parents sacrificed so that I could go to the best school on the region. Maybe that's why I work in an office with big windows and worry about my IRA and 401k, while you work in the Drury Inn banquet room and worry about fat girls making the Cupid Shuffle skip.

Dave Lane
09-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Give it to me LMAO

Dave Lane
09-21-2011, 02:05 PM
ummm, roy...

you may want to adjust your sarcasm meter...

Dumb it down a bit for the boy. How about

"This is not a serious post."

Sarcasm takes place in a higher lobe function.

Chocolate Hog
09-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Yes, back in 4th grade civics class. Then again, my parents sacrificed so that I could go to the best school on the region. Maybe that's why I work in an office with big windows and worry about my IRA and 401k, while you work in the Drury Inn banquet room and worry about fat girls making the Cupid Shuffle skip.

Yea I would say not aborting you was a huge sacrifice.

SNR
09-21-2011, 03:46 PM
It would take a miracle for him to win a single Republican primary. Hell will freeze over before he wins the nomination. Short of that, it would take a write-in campaign for him to actually win a state. I like my chances.

Paul: 0
Saul: 0
He's bound to win a primary this election, Saul.

The question is when he does, are you going to claim I was talking about the general election, or will you at the very least admit it and say, "I was wrong."

go bowe
09-21-2011, 05:38 PM

The question is when he does, are you going to claim I was talking about the general election, or will you at the very least admit it and say, "I was wrong."

he's bound to win a primary?

is this optimism or just wishful thinking?

or are you thinking of open primary states where democrats can vote for him?

SNR
09-21-2011, 06:14 PM
he's bound to win a primary?

is this optimism or just wishful thinking?

or are you thinking of open primary states where democrats can vote for him?He came dangerously close in 2008 in Nevada, Maine, Minnesota, and a few others (Michigan, I think?)

He's got far more widespread support this go-around. If he is maintaining double digit polling going into primary season (which I think he will... people who vote for Ron Paul in any scene don't just wake up and say, "Hmm... today's Friday? It's a Ron Paul kind of day!") I bet he can win one of those states and earn some delegates.

There's my reasoning.

Chocolate Hog
09-21-2011, 06:39 PM
He's within 8 points in Iowa. Perry isn't a solid front runner and Romney isn't really trying there. Paul's problem is he talks about Iran and Dennis Kuchanich. He needs to bring up abortion more and call out Obama by name on the economy. That plays out well with Republican voters in Iowa.

Saul Good
09-21-2011, 07:28 PM

I'm not sure what you are asking. I made a stand-alone post in a thread saying that I would never post again if Ron Paul won a state. I wasn't responding to any claim that you made. In fact, I didn't quote a post in my statement.

SNR
09-21-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking. I made a stand-alone post in a thread saying that I would never post again if Ron Paul won a state. I wasn't responding to any claim that you made. In fact, I didn't quote a post in my statement.
Yeah. It happened afterward. Basically I said, "Hey, I'm going to hold you to your word."

This thread WILL be bumped many times until primary season.

Remember, Saul. One state. That's it. That's all it takes is one state to turn you into Knowmo/DarthCarlSatan/GoChiefs

Unless of course, you actually follow through and leave forever.

I won't enforce anything, though. I only politely request that you give me your signature for 3 months if it happens

You DO mean won't win a state in the general election, right? Because if you mean primary state, I have a feeling you're going down.

Chocolate Hog
09-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Goodbye Saul.

go bowe
09-21-2011, 08:10 PM
He came dangerously close in 2008 in Nevada, Maine, Minnesota, and a few others (Michigan, I think?)

He's got far more widespread support this go-around. If he is maintaining double digit polling going into primary season (which I think he will... people who vote for Ron Paul in any scene don't just wake up and say, "Hmm... today's Friday? It's a Ron Paul kind of day!") I bet he can win one of those states and earn some delegates.

There's my reasoning.

and sound reasoning it is...

he will win some delegates, but it will surprise me if he wins a state...

perry and to a much lesser extent bachman are splitting the evangelical vote away from ron...

Chocolate Hog
09-21-2011, 08:14 PM
and sound reasoning it is...

he will win some delegates, but it will surprise me if he wins a state...

perry and to a much lesser extent bachman are splitting the evangelical vote away from ron...

For a guy who isn't a Ron Paul supporter but said he'd vote for him in the general: Do you think Gary Johnson being on stage this debate will hurt or help Ron Paul?

go bowe
09-21-2011, 08:35 PM
For a guy who isn't a Ron Paul supporter but said he'd vote for him in the general: Do you think Gary Johnson being on stage this debate will hurt or help Ron Paul?

i don't know, who's gary johnson?

Chocolate Hog
09-21-2011, 09:12 PM
i don't know, who's gary johnson?

The former Governor of New Mexico who's also Libertarian.

ROYC75
09-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Dumb it down a bit for the boy. How about

"This is not a serious post."

Sarcasm takes place in a higher lobe function.

There are a lot of Paulites out there, they show up for straw polls.

Other than that, I wasn't sure go bowe was serious or not. I know he runs liberal, but I could vision him going for Paul in some capacity.

Saul Good
09-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Yeah. It happened afterward. Basically I said, "Hey, I'm going to hold you to your word."

You DO mean won't win a state in the general election, right? Because if you mean primary state, I have a feeling you're going down.

I said in that thread that Ron would have to win the nomination in order to win a state. Bump it if you want.

BucEyedPea
09-22-2011, 12:12 PM
I think Saul is in the closet on Paul, because the Paul threads are his favorites. He so wants to believe deep down and have the Paulians handle his fears.