PDA

View Full Version : Computers Hard Drive Question

Detoxing
09-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Can I simply swap a hard drive from one machine to another completely different machine?

I have this computer here with a dead hard drive. I also have this spare hard drive sitting here that I pulled from another computer. It already has Xp on it so ideally I'd like to use it.

Is it as simple as swapping them? What issues will I run into?

ElGringo
09-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Biggest issue I ever had was drivers not being installed on hard drive 2...people always talked to me about registry settings being different, but it never really affected me. That is just from my personal experiences, and am sure others have had different experiences.

Barret
09-19-2011, 05:10 PM
An issue i have run into when doing this is that Windows will start looking at the new motherboard and see all this new stuff that is there. It might not recognize the new motherboard components and your on board Ethernet or on board sound might not work. Make sure you have the motherboard driver disk available.

chasedude
09-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Are these systems both the same? Hardware, Specs etc.?

DaFace
09-19-2011, 05:11 PM
From a hardware prospective, you can swap them without a problem provided that they're the same type. Older computers most commonly used an IDE connector, while newer ones use a SATA connector. You'll know real quick if they're the same - the ports and cords are completely different.

Software, however, is a different story. Your best bet if you want to be guaranteed it'll work is to wipe the drive and reinstall XP from a disc. Depending on the chipsets and other such things, it MIGHT work to just plop it in there and start it up to see what happens. If you do it and it bluescreens, you'll have to do a repair install of XP at a minimum and a possibly a clean install.

You might get lucky, though. I've done it a few times where I've been fine after a bunch of drivers are automatically installed by the OS after booting.

Detoxing
09-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Are these systems both the same? Hardware, Specs etc.?

Nah, everything is completely different. I took the hard drive from an old work computer, and the computer I am swapping it into is a computer my friend built for me a long time ago. Neither of them are SATA.

I don't have the XP disc and I sure as **** don't want to buy a new OS if I don't have to. I'm basically trying to do this for $Free.95

So one of two things will happen? Everything will work fine though I may have to update the drivers OR i'll get a nice blue screen of death?

DaFace
09-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Nah, everything is completely different. I took the hard drive from an old work computer, and the computer I am swapping it into is a computer my friend built for me a long time ago. Neither of them are SATA.

I don't have the XP disc and I sure as **** don't want to buy a new OS if I don't have to. I'm basically trying to do this for $Free.95

So one of two things will happen? Everything will work fine though I may have to update the drivers OR i'll get a nice blue screen of death?

Pretty much. Just so you know what to expect, it'll probably take a while to install all the new drivers the first time you boot (assuming you don't bluescreen). Just let 'em go, then reboot when it's done. Finally, check the device manager to see if there are other drivers missing and manually find them if needed.

chasedude
09-19-2011, 05:23 PM

Daface completed my thought, he's got you taken care of there.

Detoxing
09-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Gracias.

Detoxing
09-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Ok, no fuzzy Dice, Amigos.

It takes me to the Start up Screen where I can select Start windows normally, Safe Mode, Last known working config etc but nothing from there.

Can't open in Safe mode or standard mode. Natha.

Any ideas?

Detoxing
09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Can I use a copy of Xp from another machine? One that didn't come with this Hard Drive?

Detoxing
09-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Fuck it. I'm rebooting the damn thing.

DaFace
09-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Ok, no fuzzy Dice, Amigos.

It takes me to the Start up Screen where I can select Start windows normally, Safe Mode, Last known working config etc but nothing from there.

Can't open in Safe mode or standard mode. Natha.

Any ideas?

Not really. Chances are, the chipsets were different enough that the startup processes couldn't even complete. Sucks, but it's not surprising.

Can I use a copy of Xp from another machine? One that didn't come with this Hard Drive?

Depends. You can often get an OEM version (that came with a different computer) to work if you've got the right key. You'll want to use the key for the computer you're actually going to use (not the "donor" computer) if you can, though.

Fuck it. I'm rebooting the damn thing.

OK. Have fun.

BryanBusby
09-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Shit I know there's a way to dump the hardware profile from the HD with XP on it (if you still have the PC it was pulled out of), but I don't remember how it's done/have the link.

Detoxing
09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Got another question.

Alright, so I reformatted the Hard drive and installed it. Everything runs great. I still have the Old Hard Drive and it has a lot of valuable data on it So i'd like to try to salvage that. Not only that, but having Dual Hard Drives doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I replaced this old hard Drive because the OS got corrupted. Now, If I make the Old Hard Drive the Slave, will i be able to recover my data?

Will the fact that it has a corrupted OS on it cause any issues?

Fish
09-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah, as long as you configure the drives correctly with regards to master/slave, and you have the jumpers on the drive set correctly to match that, you should be fine. The fact that it has a corrupted OS won't bother anything.

Detoxing
09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah, as long as you configure the drives correctly with regards to master/slave, and you have the jumpers on the drive set correctly to match that, you should be fine. The fact that it has a corrupted OS won't bother anything.

So the windows XP that is on the hard Drive will just be a data file then, right? Sweet.

Fish
09-21-2011, 01:38 PM
So the windows XP that is on the hard Drive will just be a data file then, right? Sweet.

Not a data file. But a folder full of files and shit. But since they're on the slave drive that isn't configured for boot, they'll just be a collection of folders and files and shit instead of a working system. You could just delete the Windows folder on the old slave drive at that point. Just be sure of what you're deleting...

Detoxing
09-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Sweet. Kind of excited now. There's stuff on that HD that I haven't seen in almost 5 years.

And for an old Machine, this thing runs pretty well.

Don't knock it too much because it was basically free:

AMD Athlon 2800+ Processor
ATI Radeon 9600 Graphics Card
MSI Delta K7N2 Motherboard
Wireless Network Card
2 Gigs of RAM

The Case has 4 fans and 5 USB Ports.

The Sound card has a bunch of AUX ports on it....
Two Disc Drives...One a burner and the other a DVD Drive....

I know the shit is pretty old, but what do you guys think?

allen_kcCard
09-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Sweet. Kind of excited now. There's stuff on that HD that I haven't seen in almost 5 years.

And for an old Machine, this thing runs pretty well.

Don't knock it too much because it was basically free:

AMD Athlon 2800+ Processor
ATI Radeon 9600 Graphics Card
MSI Delta K7N2 Motherboard
Wireless Network Card
2 Gigs of RAM

The Case has 4 fans and 5 USB Ports.

The Sound card has a bunch of AUX ports on it....
Two Disc Drives...One a burner and the other a DVD Drive....

I know the shit is pretty old, but what do you guys think?

Heh, better than what I am running right now. Damn, I need to retool my other computer that has a bad vid card, and also start thinking about that I am going to build next. I am planning on getting some epic gameage going on sooner than later, with new games like Diablo 3, and whatever else kicks ass.

I actually broke out my old Civ 3 disks the other day and my current computer runs that one like a dream ;P

For your rig. Great get for nearly free.

Detoxing
09-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the support guys. This computer had been sitting in my closet for close to 5 years. Now it's back with TWO hard drives, which i find kinda cool.

TrickyNicky
10-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Hope you don't mind if I somewhat hijack your thread Detox.

I am building a new system and this is the first time I will be using a 60 GB SSD. I currently have a WD 450GB HD that I plan on using for storage, but I wanted to know if its possible to put the Windows 7 OS files on the SSD for fast startup and loading times, and put all the media and some games on the regular HD.

This would be the first time I would be doing more than 1 HD at a time, which would mean setting up a RAID, correct? Or would I just need to set up the SSD as the primary HD when the computer posts? (boot order in BIOS?)

I don't have everything for the system build yet, but I wanted to get everything mapped out before I started.

Pants
10-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Hope you don't mind if I somewhat hijack your thread Detox.

I am building a new system and this is the first time I will be using a 60 GB SSD. I currently have a WD 450GB HD that I plan on using for storage, but I wanted to know if its possible to put the Windows 7 OS files on the SSD for fast startup and loading times, and put all the media and some games on the regular HD.

This would be the first time I would be doing more than 1 HD at a time, which would mean setting up a RAID, correct? Or would I just need to set up the SSD as the primary HD when the computer posts? (boot order in BIOS?)

I don't have everything for the system build yet, but I wanted to get everything mapped out before I started.

You don't need to mess with RAID. You can have as many HDDs as you want (they'll be listed in "My Computer" with letters). You set your HDD with the OS as Primary Master and then the rest as your Primary Slaves. Your optical drive is then your Secondary Master in case your Primary fails or you need to boot from a recovery CD/DVD/whatever. :)

DaFace
10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
You don't need to mess with RAID. You can have as many HDDs as you want (they'll be listed in "My Computer" with letters). You set your HDD with the OS as Primary Master and then the rest as your Primary Slaves. Your optical drive is then your Secondary Master in case your Primary fails or you need to boot from a recovery CD/DVD/whatever. :)

Chances are his drives (except the optical) are SATA, so technically, there's no such thing as master, slave, etc. Just set the SSD to the boot drive, and you're golden. But yeah, no need for RAID or anything weird like that.

For simplicity, I'd probably set up Windows with just the SSD in there, then throw the other drive in once things are working OK. It probably won't be an issue, but it can be confusing to tell which drive is which when setting up Windows.

TrickyNicky
10-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Yes, they will both be SATA. Thanks for the help guys.