PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why is everyone so sure that Luck will be awesome?

Silock
09-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Just curious what makes him a can't miss prospect. What if he sucks? That would be just our luck... Suck all year, get Luck and then he just pulls a Blackledge.

Shogun
09-19-2011, 08:28 PM
he wont mel kiper told me he wouldnt

baitism
09-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet. Better than trading for career backups/washed-up QBs.

ChiefGator
09-19-2011, 08:32 PM
It seems like QB's in general entering the NFL in the first round have been better as of late. Not exactly sure why.

Luck has gotten EXTREME love from many QB evaluators... should be as much as a can't miss as possible.

And if he can be as good as Stafford, Bradford, etc.. we should be good.

BigRedChief
09-19-2011, 08:32 PM
So what if he sucks. Lately the #1 QB's selected have panned out pretty good but its not a lock or done deal but WTH.

I'm ready to get a real QOTF. How long has it been? We haven't drafted a QOTF high in the draft since Blacklidge.

Chocolate Hog
09-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Well he goes to Stanford so he's smart. He's got a quick release, he's accurate, and he's got enough mobility.

It would suck if he's a bust but at the same time he won't be making crazy amounts of cash and we'll be picking first in every round. It's not like we don't have plenty of talent on the roster right now.

Guru
09-19-2011, 08:36 PM
You will never know if you never try.

crispystl420
09-19-2011, 08:39 PM

This "The easiest way too fail is to avoid trying" -Confucious, or Abraham Lincoln, or someone intelligent

Chiefnj2
09-19-2011, 08:41 PM
If he's a bust, he's a bust. They need to find a franchise QB. That's what the league wants and that's what the league rewards.

Silock
09-19-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm not saying we shouldn't draft him. I'd love to get him. I'm just curious is all.

Chocolate Hog
09-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Thats what I thought about fat women.

MahiMike
09-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Dude! His name is LUCK! Middle name, Good.

Chocolate Hog
09-19-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm not saying we shouldn't draft him. I'd love to get him. I'm just curious is all.

Look at where he puts the ball and look some of the pressure he gets away from. Cassel could NEVER do any of this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WQ-a-N9Y5mc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Count Alex's Wins
09-19-2011, 08:45 PM
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oMz9nwy7yYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

</post>
09-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Maybe we should just wait until there's a third generation Manning to draft.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Just curious what makes him a can't miss prospect. What if he sucks? That would be just our luck... Suck all year, get Luck and then he just pulls a Blackledge.

There are no can't miss prospects in the NFL. Still shouldn't stop a team from continuing to try and find a franchise QB. If he busts, you draft another one until you find "the guy"

Count Alex's Wins
09-19-2011, 08:47 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tBz2ZOTXlKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

VAChief
09-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Considering our current QB didn't even start in college, he's a pretty safe bet.

suds79
09-19-2011, 08:49 PM
There are no can't miss prospects in the NFL. Still shouldn't stop a team from continuing to try and find a franchise QB. If he busts, you draft another one until you find "the guy"

This forever.

Think of it this way. If he turns out to be a bust, we'll be in the same spot we are in now with no possible shot at a SB anytime soon.

Only one way down that road. And that's to get a franchise QB. Have to try.

Silock
09-19-2011, 08:49 PM

Right, but you never really hear that argument. Many people say that if we get him, we will be set for 10-15 years. No one really seems to stop to ask the what if.

suds79
09-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Right, but you never really hear that argument. Many people say that if we get him, we will be set for 10-15 years. No one really seems to stop to ask the what if.

Everybody is aware that no pick is a 100% for sure thing. All you can go on is what guys are projected to do. And the fact that this guy is the best prospect to come out sine Peyton Manning is a good start.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2011, 08:52 PM

From a purely football aspect, a team shouldn't ask what if he busts? If he busts he busts, u should never stop trying to find a franchise guy. This is what the Chiefs have done for 30 years, and where did it get us? From a business perspective, I can see why a team would say what if.

MahiMike
09-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Bring Owusu with him. Instant TD package.

</post>
09-19-2011, 08:57 PM

There aren't any red flags to speak of so far. If any pop up, then people will be more skeptical.

BigMeatballDave
09-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Someone shoot me in the face :facepalm:

BigMeatballDave
09-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Thats what I thought about fat women.

LMAO

CosmicPal
09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Answer me this: Would you rather KC draft him OR Indy draft him?

I'm never one for tanking in the season for a particular player, but this is a golden opportunity for this team. If we were to land the #1 pick in the draft this year, you most certainly have to take Luck because there are more than a dozen teams that will covet him. And I wouldn't be surprised if some teams would be crazy enough to offer up a Hershal Walker-caliber-type trade up just to snag him on their roster.

We have a lot of young talent on this team that have many years left in them. If you score big on someone like Luck, then this team can be scary good for years to come. We've had our share of HOF players in all sorts of positions, but when's the last time we had a potential HOF player leading this team for years to come? Lenny Dawson?

You have to take this opportunity when it lands in your lap. If he ends up a bust, so be it. It's a gamble. But I would suffice to say, it's a very good gamble to take.

A bad season like this will only make the current players stronger- adding someone like Luck will only make us more dynamic. You tank it. And you take him.

SNR
Blackledge was like... the 4th QB taken. It was a questionable decision when it happened. He also didn't show ANYTHING that Luck has in college.

Bad comparison. I know you're only using it because it's the Chiefs, but it still doesn't fit.

Go watch some Andrew Luck games and you'll see why he's the best QB prospect to enter the draft (when he does, if he does) in at least 10 years. He might be a once-a-generation prospect. He's that damn good.

If you don't think this is an easy fucking decision, you should probably kill yourself and raise country's IQ average by 159 points.

ChiefsNow
Suck for a Luck , Luck for a fuck, Luck's gonna suck like a fucked up duck.

wazu
09-19-2011, 09:30 PM
My bigger question is - why do we think he'll come out for the 2012 NFL draft? Has he indicated that at all, ever?

Bane
09-19-2011, 09:33 PM
He's fine,I googled it!

Brock
09-19-2011, 09:35 PM
He might not be great, don't draft him!!!! Remember 83!!!

SDChiefs
09-19-2011, 09:35 PM
He's already used to throwing to baldwin.

Ace Gunner
09-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Luck plays pro style offense. He's big and strong, good arm quick release. Reads defenses, tricks safeties. He's a gamer. The dude can win games. Cassel can't. He's been part of wins, but he's never led the Chiefs or any team to wins, except in baseball.

SNR
09-19-2011, 09:36 PM
My bigger question is - why do we think he'll come out for the 2012 NFL draft? Has he indicated that at all, ever?All he indicated was that he wants to graduate before he starts he career.

From what I hear he's set up to do exactly that this year.

Papi
09-19-2011, 10:00 PM
He looks good in the videos here and I'm all for picking up a young QB. But what I didn't see was much zip on the ball. Strong arm but his 5-15 yard passes didn't zing to me and you need that in the nfl. Someone please put my concern to rest...

chasedude
09-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Because the CP Talking Heads have nothing better to do than bitch about the Chiefs so it's Luck or Bust... bunch of fucking Homers.

Buck
09-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Look at his college highlights vs Cassel's college highlights...oh wait.

Shogun
09-19-2011, 10:14 PM
He looks good in the videos here and I'm all for picking up a young QB. But what I didn't see was much zip on the ball. Strong arm but his 5-15 yard passes didn't zing to me and you need that in the nfl. Someone please put my concern to rest...

This is all you need to see

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RF9PFJI_t5I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or this

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ik-LNTMYn50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or this

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tBz2ZOTXlKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BryanBusby
09-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Luck is the most polished prospect to come around in a very long time. He has also taken a Cardinals team that sucked for years and turned them into a winner.

Has an adequate enough arm to make any pass that's asked and has the ability to gain more strength. Plays in a pro-style offense, has a full understanding of the game, amazing pocket presence and is a true leader.

Is he perfect? No. Peyton Manning had problem coming out of Tennessee also. His issues are very minor though and easily correctable.

Sure he could bust, but I'd be more comfortable with putting money on him becoming the next generation Peyton. Most cases when I see a QB first starting in college, would normally wonder what he could do as a passer for his respective college team. With Luck, a lot of people were already wondering early on what his ceiling was in the NFL.

Fruit Ninja
09-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Im not. not at all, but i do know you gotta give your team that chance. even if its 10 to `15 percent. as of now, we are at 1 percent maybe lower.

I would rather them try, then not at all. Like i done said, look at the quarterbacks from the last 20 superbowls. 17 of them were elite qb's

dj56dt58
09-19-2011, 10:26 PM
If he's a bust, he's a bust. They need to find a franchise QB. That's what the league wants and that's what the league rewards.

This This and THIS

Crush
09-19-2011, 10:32 PM
We don't know if he will be good or not. We need to at least fucking try to develop a franchise QB.

MoreLemonPledge
09-19-2011, 10:32 PM
High floor, unbelievably high ceiling. I was really hoping Cassel would be the answer, but the past 6 games have made it painfully obvious that that's not the case. Suck for Luck...

Predarat
09-19-2011, 10:37 PM
This says it all:

http://andrew.luck.you.are.mighty.aninote.com/

banyon
09-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Luck is the most polished prospect to come around in a very long time. He has also taken a Cardinals team that sucked for years and turned them into a winner.

Cardinal, not Cardinals.

Their mascot is a tree, remember?

<object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=32469438,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=32469438,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

alnorth
09-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Why do we ever trust experts at all? The OP is closely related to that question.

If, hypothetically speaking, no one knew anything and every college QB prospect was indistinguishable from any other, then in the draft if you want a QB you'd randomly pick a name from a list of hundreds of college QB's. We almost do that for punters and kickers.

That does not happen because we assume that NFL scouts and professional college talent evaluators know what they are doing. They tell us to ignore these 75 bums, and only look at these 10 prospects, ranked in some order, because they have watched them play, and past history has shown us that yes, QB's they said would be good have performed much better than the 75 random guys they said to ignore.

So, the experts know SOMETHING, but how much do they know? The experts said Brady was nothing special and that Ryan Leaf would be great, so obviously they are fallible. But, those are exceptions, people who are paid to evaluate QB's for a living generally can tell us something.

Against all that background, we now have the 2012 NFL draft class. And the QB evaluators are totally freaking the **** out on one particular QB, Andrew Luck. They don't do this every year. They don't even do this very many years. (If they did, they would lose credibility and be ignored, so they are obviously serious this time) Every expert in the world is telling us that this is a two-or-three-times-a-generation John Elway talent. Maybe they are wrong, but the guys who should know more than any other human being in the world is saying "draft Luck at ALL costs". If you don't trust them now, when they are sounding the alarm like never before, then screw it, you should ignore the experts altogether and draft random QB's who aren't automatically dismissed as obviously bad.

ForeverChiefs58
09-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Cool story.

Comparing Stanford QBs: Andrew Luck vs. John Elway

On a cold winter's night in 1998, an 8-year-old boy's mother woke him at 2 a.m. in Frankfurt, Germany, so he could watch Super Bowl XXXII.

He remembers getting an eyeful of 37-year-old John Elway being spun like a helicopter in midair as he made a daring third-down run in the third quarter of a tie game, refusing to slide or go out of bounds.

The Denver quarterback reached the Green Bay 4-yard line for a first down, inspiring the Broncos, who quickly scored. He later guided them to the decisive touchdown in a 31-24 victory.

"I remember being up from 2 to 5 and going back to bed and not wanting to go to school," Andrew Luck said.

To him, the "helicopter" play epitomized Elway's will to win. "He was such a competitor, I can only imagine what he was like at Stanford," Luck said.

Many years later, Luck is filling a similar role as the Cardinal quarterback. As Elway was in 1983, Luck very well might be the top pick of the 2011 NFL draft. That's if he chooses to leave Stanford after this season, with two years of eligibility left.

"I wouldn't be disappointed if he did, put it that way," said Cal coach Jeff Tedford, whose team will try to contain Luck in Saturday's Big Game.

Jim Plunkett won Stanford's only Heisman Trophy in 1970. Elway has been the gold standard for Stanford quarterbacks since his senior season of 1982. There have been many excellent ones since then, including Steve Stenstrom, Todd Husak and Trent Edwards. But Luck is almost unquestionably the best since Elway.

Like Elway, who was 1-3 in the Big Game - a victim of The Play in 1982 - Luck has had his problems with the Bears. Playing his one bad game in an otherwise stellar 2009 season, Luck completed 10 of 30 passes for 157 yards last year and threw an interception that clinched Cal's 34-28 win.

The Chronicle asked some experts how they would compare Luck and Elway as college quarterbacks.

"Don't ask me that question," said Elway himself. "If he comes out, I think he'll be the first pick. But it's like apples and oranges. He's got a better team around him than I had."

Stanford had just one winning season - 6-5 in 1980 - during Elway's four years. Luck's 9-1 team is on its way to its second straight bowl game and might reach the Rose Bowl, a goal that was well beyond Elway's reach.

"I've watched several of their games on TV, and from what I've seen, he's got all the tools," said Elway, 50. "It's a big help to him having (Jim) Harbaugh as his coach because of his NFL experience, as well as having his dad (Oliver Luck, another former NFL quarterback). The sky's the limit for him.

"What I like the most about him is his mobility, something I look at closely. He's got a great knack of moving around for his size. He's the complete package."

Luck, who spent many years in Germany and England when his dad was working with NFL Europe, is well aware of the Elway legend. He knows all about "the Elway cross," the mark the end of the ball used to leave on his receivers' chests from the force of his throws.

Is there such a thing as "the Luck cross"? "No," said Luck with a laugh. "I don't nearly have the arm strength he has."

Ken Margerum can attest to the power of Elway's arm; Margerum was one of his favorite receivers at Stanford.

"When John's ball came at you, you had to attack it," Margerum said. "You could barely see the ball coming between the defenders sometimes. It had a lot of velocity."

He said Luck throws more timing routes in Harbaugh's offense than Elway did, and the two players have different approaches when they leave the pocket.

"When John scrambled, he was looking downfield," he said. "Andrew is usually looking for a check-down receiver. We'd go deep when John broke out of the pocket. If he crossed the field, we'd go to the far corner of the end zone. He was looking for the home run."

In recent years, college quarterbacks spend more time in the weight room than they did in Elway's time, Margerum said. "John was slender coming out of high school, and he didn't lift weights."

At 6-foot-4, Luck is an inch taller than Elway and, at 235 pounds, probably 30 heavier than Elway was in college.

"John was such a natural athlete, he could have played four or five different sports and made it to the top," Margerum said. "I think Andrew was geared to be a quarterback from Day 1."

John's father, Jack, was a head coach at San Jose State and (after John left) at Stanford. The football fathers were the first thing John Wooten mentioned. A former Pro Bowl guard with the Cleveland Browns and a longtime NFL scout, he said, "Above all, they know football. They know discipline. They've seen game tapes. They see the game differently from most players."

There are many other similarities, especially football intelligence, he said. "In overall ability, Luck may be ahead of Elway. John relied on his big arm and his athletic ability. Luck has the ability to get rid of the ball quickly. He has the ability to see what's going on and get off and do it."

Could he have a pro career comparable to Elway's? "Oh yeah, barring injury," Wooten said.

Luck is more consistent than Elway was in college, longtime Dallas Cowboys personnel chief Gil Brandt said.

"Elway had ups and down. One year (1982), they beat Washington, which was ranked No. 1 (by UPI), and lost the same year to San Jose State. It's hard to say anybody has Elway's upside, but he had a losing record at Stanford."

Bob Murphy, a longtime Stanford insider as sports information director and football analyst on radio broadcasts, said Elway had the stronger arm, Luck the better touch.

"John could throw it harder and deeper," he said. "He could stand flat-footed and throw it 65 yards. But Andrew has better touch on the deep throw, a little more finesse."

What advice would Elway give Luck? To enjoy what he has.

"He's playing on a great football team that's got a lot going for it," Elway said. "Whether he comes out or not, my advice would be to enjoy those years in college."

2011 NFL Draft: John Elway Calls Andrew Luck 'Best Football Player In Draft'

While the Denver Broncos and John Elway continue to work on the former quarterback's role within the organization, Stanford quarterback prospect Andrew Luck already has Elway as a big supporter. Elway played for the Stanford Cardinal from 1979-1982 and then went No. 1 overall to the Baltimore Colts in 1983 before a trade to the Denver Broncos in May. Elway was the third No. 1 pick out of Stanford, the other two being quarterbacks Bobby Garrett (1954) and Jim Plunkett (1971). Can Andrew Luck become the fourth No. 1 overall selection from Stanford?

In comments to the Denver Post, Elway makes it sound as though he'd take Luck with the first overall pick. Mike Klis points out, though, that Elway made those comments as a fan and not as a Broncos executive. Still, Elway specifically mentions Tim Tebow in his answer, saying that there would be a difficult choice should the No. 1 pick come the Broncos' way.

This is something we should all keep an eye on over the coming months. If the Broncos have the chance to draft Luck, an underclassman, Elway may just be the guy leading that charge.

BryanBusby
09-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Cardinal, not Cardinals.

Their mascot is a tree, remember?

<object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=32469438,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=32469438,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

Yeah that tree is fucking creepy. Saying Cardinals is a bad habit.

farmerchief
09-19-2011, 10:52 PM
I've never watched him play, until this past weekend, and it was just a few throws on the sports highlites of the game. I seen him throw two passes to his receivers and they never broke stride, right in their outstretched hands. Seen him run outside the pocket and while running hit is receiver in stride going down the sideline. Watched 3 throws, none of them have I ever seen Cassel make since he's been here...:-(

Chiefs Pantalones
09-19-2011, 10:53 PM
I posted this in another thread but this is my own personal assessment of him...

I've only seen Luck a handful of times and I'm impressed. And this is my unprofessional opinion but he has the release of Philip Rivers, the study habits of Peyton Manning (according to media) and the accuracy and coolness in the pocket of Tom Brady.

Bump
09-19-2011, 10:55 PM
hey, I won't be pissed at the decision. Luck is the best QB prospect to come out in a while and we need this. Even if it doesn't work out, at least they tried. But imagine us with a franchise QB, just the thought of that man....we NEED this

arrowheadnation
09-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Even if he's a bust, he'll still be leaps and bounds better than Casshole.

keg in kc
09-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Hope.

Count Alex's Wins
09-19-2011, 11:10 PM
The beginning is a very delicate time. Know then that it is the year 2011.

The known league is ruled by the Asshole Roger Goodell the 1st, my commissioner. In this time the most precious substance in the league is a franchise quarterback. The franchise quarterback extends life. The franchise quarterback expands consciousness. The franchise quarterback is vital to winning games.

The Patriots and their fans, who the franchise quarterback Tom Brady has mutated over 12 years, use the elite passing attack, which gives them the ability to score quickly; that is, to score from any part of the field with out running.

Oh yes, I forgot to tell you...the franchise quarterback does not exist on only one team in the entire league, a shitty, desperate team with an empty stadium. Hidden away with the seats of this stadium are the people known as the Chiefs fans; who have long held the prophecy that a man would come, a Messiah, who would lead them to true freedom, the team is Kansas City, also known as....THE CHIEFS.

ForeverChiefs58
09-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Here is an article from earlier this year where Adam Schefter says trading for Luck pick last draft would get 3 first rd draft picks:

Adam Schefter talks no.1 pick, Andrew Luck, trading the pick and the Carolina Panthers
by James Dator on Jan 5, 2011 8:42 AM EST

This morning NFL insider Adam Schefter was on ESPN radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" where he discussed a variety of NFL situations and scenarios. Talk turned to the NFL draft Schefter was quick to discuss the Carolina Panthers specifically.

Schefter went on the record to say he does not think there is any way the Panthers trade the #1 provided Andrew Luck enters the draft. He compared trading Luck and how it would be looked at historically like the Baltimore Colts trading John Elway to the Broncos. Granted, that situation is likely to be very different because Elway refused to play for the Colts, and as it stands there is not a single indication Andrew Luck would do the same with the Panthers, and honestly if you know anything about the kid you know this isn't going to happen.

As it stands none of us know if Luck will be a John Elway-esque talent, however, if we're working under that assumption then is there any price that could convince the Panthers to pass on taking Luck? Again, Schefter didn't think so, but when pressed he gave an outline of what the STARTING price would be for any of three interested teams (Denver, Buffalo and San Francisco) to move up and trade with Carolina.

Keep in mind that this is not an absolute, it's not what has been offered, or what will be offered... we simply don't know. Schefter said the price wouldn't be just high, it would be exorbitant based on the fact belief is Andrew Luck is a true franchise quarterback.

That price: Starting at three 1st round picks

Yes, you read that correctly. Presumably 1st round picks in 2011, 2012 and 2013 plus additional compensation based likely on who was trading up. Superficially that sounds both insane and insanely attractive, but is it?

For the purpose of this comparison we're going to have to put our imagination hats on and assume for a second that Andrew Luck is as good as advertised. If you can't handle that then hit 'back' on your browser... no need to read on, no need to comment. Fact is, we need to have a firm universal level to have this discussion.

So we have our first condition: Andrew Luck is a true franchise QB

Then we come to the second element: How high will these picks be? Well, Denver picks #2 overall, Buffalo #3 and San Francisco #7. That's an average of #4 overall, and based on the fact most teams tend to improve naturally over time I think it's fair to imagine the resulting picks being a #4 in 2011 and #6 in 2012 and a #8 in 2013.

So we have our second condition: #4, #6 and #8 overall picks.

We now move into the third phase, analysis. Looking at a three year span from 1999-2010 here is what the projected picks would have yielded:

1999-2001: RB Edgerrin James, DT Corey Simon, WR David Terrell

2002-2004: OT Mike Williams, DT Jonathan Sullivan, CB DeAngelo Hall

2005-2007: RB Cedric Benson, TE Vernon Davis, DE Jamaal Anderson

2008-2010: RB Darren McFadden, LB Aaron Curry, LB Rolando McClain

Granted, I know there are severe flaws with this kind of comparison. I understand there are team needs, different team scouting etc. but I feel this arbitrary method is far fairer than going through three concecutive drafts and cherry picking successful players who could have been taken. Of all the above 12 picks only Rolando McClain was considered a reach at all, every other player was considered a good pick at their position.

Based on our first condition: That Andrew Luck will be a franchise QB and now that we have a basis for what kind of players could be taken what do you think?

Is there any price worth moving out of #1 if Andrew Luck declares?

88TG88
09-19-2011, 11:18 PM
This says it all:

http://andrew.luck.you.are.mighty.aninote.com/

true dat

Barret
09-19-2011, 11:27 PM
I think that there is still some guess work that goes into drafting but I believe that Teams have come a long way from 1983 or even a few years ago.

1st thing is I believe they know the proper make up of a QB mentally now. What was the story on Ryan Leaf??? They asked him and Manning what they were going to do first and Manning said "go and learn the playbook" and Leaf said "I am going to Vegas" or something like that. Don't know if that is a rumor but those types of questions can lead a team into making a better decision on a QB.

2nd is how much exposure is now given to all the teams in college? How many ESPN / TNT/ ABC / NBC / Fox channels have college games going on that you can sit and watch. 5 to 10 years ago did you have the ability to Youtube sections of a game and highlight them like we have seen here with the Luck clips in this thread? You get as much information to your scouting and player personnel department and you can really "SEE" a player a lot more then you could before. You have so much more tape to look at you can see basically a good selection of every type of throw that is needed. Instead of hearsay BS from a coach trying to promote a player by saying "oh yea he throws a good fade" or whatever, you see if he does and how he handles pressure.

I think this is why you are seeing better quality QB's that are getting picked and playing well. People in the know, know what they are getting into with those top end QB's.

This is why Andrew Luck is being praised all over the place.

The only issue I have seen with Luck in these clips is on some of the deeper passing, the Receiver is having to look back or reach back for the pass. Now it is no where near the "I have to come back 15 yards cause Cassel can't throw shit" type of pass. And the ball is still in a spot where only the receiver can catch it. So if that is the only problem, hell, Montana was not throwing 80 yard bombs either but would meticulously work down the field and score.

I am completely on the Suck4Luck bandwagon.

rico
09-19-2011, 11:44 PM
I made it a point to watch the Stanford vs. Arizona game this weekend. I have never seen anything quite like Andrew Luck. He really is incredible.

And the fact that he stayed at Stanford to attain his degree, makes me confident that he is responsible and will not become distracted by outside circumstances brought on by his own irresponsibility like Ryan Leaf was.

Andrew Luck will be a HELL of an NFL QB.

Bump
09-20-2011, 12:07 AM
It's fucking destiny man. 99% of players in Luck's position last year would have gone to the NFL but he stayed even though he would have been guaranteed to go #1 overall. We would never have gotten him. This year we are clearly the worst team and without it's 2 best players. We are going to go 0-16 and we are going to get the #1 draft pick and Luck is that pick! It's destiny, it really is. This season is clear that we need to lose and get our QB. A real franchise QB. I've never been this excited for the future. ITS DESTINY!

ChiefsCountry
09-20-2011, 12:14 AM
And the fact that he stayed at Stanford to attain his degree, makes me confident that he is responsible and will not become distracted by outside circumstances brought on by his own irresponsibility like Ryan Leaf was.

Architectural design is his major as well. Thats not a cake walk major.

Shit that makes me think. KC is home to some of the best architectural firms in the nation. Luck's got him another career as well. :D

Chief3188
09-20-2011, 12:18 AM
I hope he is a good enough architecht to build us a dynasty.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-20-2011, 12:23 AM

Shit that makes me think. KC is home to some of the best architectural firms in the nation. Luck's got him another career as well. :D

IIRC, they said Saturday night on ESPN that his degree is in Mechanical Engineering. Smart dude.

MoreLemonPledge
09-20-2011, 12:23 AM
I heard that his degree is in Biochemical Warfare.

58kcfan89
09-20-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm not a scout and won't pretend like I can evaluate QBs (I feel like I know a bit more than the average fan, but I was a lineman in HS so don't know much about the position), but just watching a few of Luck's games at Stanford, the dude just looks like a great QB. Doesn't get rattled, almost always makes the smart throw and has great athletic ability (heard somewhere that he averages more than 6 YPC, not to mention the video on the front page of his 50 yard TD pass while falling down).

I guess what I'm saying, is that he passes my "eye test." Which doesn't mean anything to any of you, but it's why it's not hard for me to see Luck as a superstar in the NFL.

NJChiefsFan
09-20-2011, 02:16 AM
Im not. not at all, but i do know you gotta give your team that chance. even if its 10 to `15 percent. as of now, we are at 1 percent maybe lower.

I would rather them try, then not at all. Like i done said, look at the quarterbacks from the last 20 superbowls. 17 of them were elite qb's

Exactly. If you don't draft Luck, what are you going to do? You could try Stanzi or go get one in a trade or free agency. Tell me draft Luck has a lower percentage then any of those. Hell, tell me trading all we can to get him has less of a chance of working then any of those.

BossChief
09-20-2011, 02:23 AM
FYI

The Arizona Stanford game is replaying on ESPN right now.

Both Luck and Foles are gonna be high picks at QB in the next draft.

NJChiefsFan
09-20-2011, 02:25 AM
FYI

The Arizona Stanford game is replaying on ESPN right now.

Both Luck and Foles are gonna be high picks at QB in the next draft.

Agreed. I am not the first to say this over the past few days, but if we can't get Luck for whatever reason Foles seems like a pretty good option.

RUSH
09-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Smart (on and off the field)

elite accuracy

elite intangibles

elite pocket presence

ideal size

great mobility for a qb (Rodgers like)

doesn't have the greatest arm but plenty strong enough to make all the throws.

Made Stanford relevant and wins games.

Elevates his teams' play.

A master of the pro style system they run at Stanford.

Sounds like a pretty damn good qb to me.

His only flaw that bothers me is that his deep ball is just ok. It's not great or elite but hopefully that's something he can improve upon if the Chiefs draft him.

driver2
09-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Why Luck is so good?
Everybody says he's got it all. EVERYBODY are the same ones who said this about:
Jeff George
Rick Mirer
Ryan Leaf
Jay Cutler
Matt Cassell?
LMAO

Dayze
09-20-2011, 09:09 AM
troll.

nice try though

Rain Man
09-20-2011, 09:39 AM
This board has touted Brian brohm as a top pick in the past, and a bunch of others who went anywhere from #20 to the 5th round. Pardon me if i don't get excited just yet.

Reerun_KC
09-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Luck plays pro style offense. He's big and strong, good arm quick release. Reads defenses, tricks safeties. He's a gamer. The dude can win games. Cassel can't. He's been part of wins, but he's never led the Chiefs or any team to wins, except in baseball.

LMAO

WTH, What is tricking safeties?

Reerun_KC
09-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Smart (on and off the field)

elite accuracy

elite intangibles

elite pocket presence

ideal size

great mobility for a qb (Rodgers like)

doesn't have the greatest arm but plenty strong enough to make all the throws.

Made Stanford relevant and wins games.

Elevates his teams' play.

A master of the pro style system they run at Stanford.

Sounds like a pretty damn good qb to me.

His only flaw that bothers me is that his deep ball is just ok. It's not great or elite but hopefully that's something he can improve upon if the Chiefs draft him.

This used so often, Can someone get us a list...

WTF is Elite Intangables?

Brock
09-20-2011, 09:46 AM
This board has touted Brian brohm as a top pick in the past, and a bunch of others who went anywhere from #20 to the 5th round. Pardon me if i don't get excited just yet.

I get what you're saying, but this is a slam dunk.

suds79
09-20-2011, 09:47 AM

This thread is silly. What's the point? Are people trying to argue that Andrew Luck not the best prospect? Because everybody scout out there disagrees.

Are they trying to argue that there's no such thing as a can't miss prospect? No sh!t. Nobody is saying that. All you can go on is what is projected.

And he's projected to be the far and away best. That's it.

There's nothing to debate.

Chiefnj2
09-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Do you ever watch a QB under pressure or on a game winning drive and that QB just has "it"? He's confident, he isn't stressed, he's keeping his composure, he's placing the ball where it needs to be, throwing it away if need be, moving in the pocket to keep plays alive, etc. Playing smart, giving his team a chance to win, and getting the job done.

Dayze
09-20-2011, 09:55 AM

i'm not sure what others think, but to me intangibles are things that can't be measured by a stat-sheet, tape-measure, number of reps etc.
so, for me, it's things like leadership, toughness, work ethic, confidence. Having traits that make your teamates want to go to battle with you; ability to elevate others' play etc.

my $.02.

luv
09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
i'm not sure what others think, but to me intangibles are things that can't be measured by a stat-sheet, tape-measure, number of reps etc.
so, for me, it's things like leadership, toughness, work ethic, confidence. Having traits that make your teamates want to go to battle with you; ability to elevate others' play etc.

my $.02.

I agree.

SNR
09-20-2011, 10:40 AM
1. The team needs a franchise QB

2. The team is in position to draft a franchise QB

3. Logically, it follows that the team should draft the best QB available in the draft.

4. Unless you want to argue that Andrew Luck is not the best QB in the 2012 draft, you have no argument.

4b. "What if he sucks?" is irrelevant. What if your OT/other QB sucks? What if you die when a plane tears apart in mid-air?

5. If you still disagree with me, you're a fucking retard. Plain and simple.

OnTheWarpath58
09-20-2011, 10:46 AM
This thread just shows how fucking ignorant this fanbase is.

"Uh, what if he busts?"

Sure, let's NEVER attempt to draft a franchise QB because he might bust.

By that logic, we might as well sit out the draft entirely, because any pick in any round can bust.

Brock
09-20-2011, 10:54 AM
This thread just shows how fucking ignorant this fanbase is.

"Uh, what if he busts?"

By that logic, we might as well sit out the draft entirely, because any pick in any round can bust.

Here's another one who doesn't remember Peterson screwing up the Blackledge pick.

OnTheWarpath58
09-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Here's another one who doesn't remember Peterson screwing up the Blackledge pick.

LMAO

lcarus
09-20-2011, 10:57 AM
1. The team needs a franchise QB

2. The team is in position to draft a franchise QB

3. Logically, it follows that the team should draft the best QB available in the draft.

4. Unless you want to argue that Andrew Luck is not the best QB in the 2012 draft, you have no argument.

4b. "What if he sucks?" is irrelevant. What if your OT/other QB sucks? What if you die when a plane tears apart in mid-air?

5. If you still disagree with me, you're a ****ing retard. Plain and simple.

That pretty much sums it up. I agree.

Pestilence
09-20-2011, 10:59 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l6sfYL-jHOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's all you need to see.

DaKCMan AP
09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Awesome.

Frosty
09-20-2011, 11:00 AM

Yeah, because the way the Chiefs have done it over the last 40 years has worked soooo well.

OnTheWarpath58
09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l6sfYL-jHOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's all you need to see.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/042009/1239788892_jizz-in-my-pants.gif

SNR
09-20-2011, 12:30 PM
The only legitimate argument people can make here is if Luck isn't the best QB available.

I'm willing to see the evidence one might bring up in this case, if one even exists.

Does anybody here not believe that Andrew Luck is the best QB we could draft in 2012?

rico
09-20-2011, 12:32 PM

That is awesome, because based on his decisions to this point, he seems to be looking in the distant future as well as near future.

One thing I liked about Luck while watching him in the Stanford vs. Arizona game is how charismatic he is. I watched him hit a receiver right in the hands for a reception in double-coverage. PERFECT pass.... couldn't be more accurate. This is followed by a couple of Arizona D players coming up to him and shaking their heads and patting him on the back, obviously impressed. Luck just smiled back at them and said a few indecipherable words back to the defenders and then hit another receiver with a beautiful pass. He then proceeded to march the team all the way into the endzone. All while looking like he's having a great time.

Not only will this guy be a great QB, but he will be fun to watch as well.

DaKCMan AP
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM

MahiMike
09-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Answer me this: Would you rather KC draft him OR Indy draft him?

I'm never one for tanking in the season for a particular player, but this is a golden opportunity for this team. If we were to land the #1 pick in the draft this year, you most certainly have to take Luck because there are more than a dozen teams that will covet him. And I wouldn't be surprised if some teams would be crazy enough to offer up a Hershal Walker-caliber-type trade up just to snag him on their roster.

We have a lot of young talent on this team that have many years left in them. If you score big on someone like Luck, then this team can be scary good for years to come. We've had our share of HOF players in all sorts of positions, but when's the last time we had a potential HOF player leading this team for years to come? Lenny Dawson?

You have to take this opportunity when it lands in your lap. If he ends up a bust, so be it. It's a gamble. But I would suffice to say, it's a very good gamble to take.

A bad season like this will only make the current players stronger- adding someone like Luck will only make us more dynamic. You tank it. And you take him.

summed up nicely. we should put this post up as a sticky.

BossChief
09-20-2011, 08:09 PM

my $.02.Id like to add:

competitiveness
Killer instinct
ability to deliver when your team needs it the most/clutch

bowener
09-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Chiefs fans haven't had a truly great QB since Dawson. Can you imagine how rabid the fans will be for Luck if he is the real deal? The first ray of hope in 40+ years. We'll make the adoring Pats fans look like they could give zero shits about Brady by comparison.

Sucky
09-20-2011, 09:21 PM
He's the next Joe Montana...he's THAT GOOD.

Direckshun
09-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Played in a pro style offense.

Has had elite coaching thus far.

Gets extremely good protection at Stanford, but has to still hit windows pretty often.

Peerless intangibles.

Has had the target on his back and carry his team for two years.

Prototypical size.

An arm that's slightly shy of Stafford's, but way more accurate.

Film rat. Extremely smart. Doesn't force anything.

Tough as nails, not injury prone.

etc

etc

etc

He's the best QB prospect we've seen in a generation.

That doesn't mean he'll be good.

All it means is that as a prospect, he's got the greatest chance of being a future Hall of Famer than any player taken in our generation.

But yeah, other than that.