PDA

View Full Version : Computers Question: Installing Windows 7

Otter
09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
I legally own 2 copies of Windows 7 Home. One is the clean install disc package with 32 and 64 bit discs I purchased off Newegg and the other is a copy that came per-installed on my laptop. The laptop is a Sony Vaio with all kinds of junk wear that they installed and the only option they provided of reinstalling the OS is through a recovery disc which will install all the same bloatware.

Question: If I did a clean install of Windows on my laptop using the discs from newegg and then changed the product key to match the one assigned to the laptop would MS see this as a legit OS so I could receive updates and all that good stuff?

Yes, the bloatware and what I know it does to my registry bothers me that much.

It seems like it would work. Any insight? Thanks.

Saulbadguy
09-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Don't bother re-installing - waste of time. And no I doubt the Sony product key would work w/ the discs you purchased off Newegg.

Just run this.

http://pcdecrapifier.com/

keg in kc
09-21-2011, 08:50 AM
I believe you're fine installing the newegg disk. I don't think they care what you install or where you got it from, they only care if your license number is legit. For example, I have an OEM 32-bit home premium system builder's disk originally, but I installed a 64-bit home premium copy that I downloaded (legitimately, you can google for legal Win 7 images). The original key worked fine. So I don't think it's hard-coded into the disk that you have to use a specific key with a specific disk.

(I'm no expert though, obviously...)

Just to continue the story, I did an upgrade to Professional, and as it turns out, when you install home premium, you're apparently installing each and every version of windows they offer, and your key determines how much you get. The new key that I got (literally) unlocked Professional. It didn't require a re-installation or anything.

QuikSsurfer
09-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Don't bother re-installing - waste of time. And no I doubt the Sony product key would work w/ the discs you purchased off Newegg.

Just run this.

http://pcdecrapifier.com/

This. pcdecrapifier is the shit
I only reinstall if I need to make changes to the partitions

ElGringo
09-21-2011, 02:26 PM
I believe you're fine installing the newegg disk. I don't think they care what you install or where you got it from, they only care if your license number is legit. For example, I have an OEM 32-bit home premium system builder's disk originally, but I installed a 64-bit home premium copy that I downloaded (legitimately, you can google for legal Win 7 images). The original key worked fine. So I don't think it's hard-coded into the disk that you have to use a specific key with a specific disk.

I would agree with this, but think the difference would be OEM v. non OEM license....I don't believe those are interchangeable.

Otter
09-21-2011, 06:25 PM
I'll end the suspense - it works.

keg in kc
09-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Woot. I don't feel like a complete imbecile now. Only like 3/4 of one who guessed right.

Otter
09-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Woot. I don't feel like a complete imbecile now. Only like 3/4 of one who guessed right.

Quicksurfer & Saul didn't even try to answer. :D

Saulbadguy
09-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Yeah, in my experiences that never worked.

I still stand by my point of it was a waste of time. :)