PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Fun facts of the day

Cave Johnson
09-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Since y'all love facts so much.

-- Seventy-one percent of current U.S. debt was accumulated during Republican presidential terms.

-- Two-thirds of debt-ceiling elevations since 1960 have been signed into law by Republican presidents.

-- In 1961 the percentage of corporate profits paid in taxes was nearly forty-one; now it is less than eleven.

-- Seventy-five percent of the increase in corporate profit margins since 2001 has come from depressed wages.

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/2011/09/pining-for-the-fleshpots-of-reagan/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FrontPorchRepublic+%28Front+Porch+Republic%29

BucEyedPea
09-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Wages are not the only indicator or rising wealth though. Not when we're flooded with cheap imports.
The rest doesn't surprise me. Republicans have always been the party of BIG govt.

vailpass
09-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Can you post any facts that show what obama has accomplished?

BucEyedPea
09-21-2011, 04:36 PM

That would be fun. Then you can call them fun facts too. Although I don't know of peeps think what he's done is fun.

Donger
09-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Since y'all love facts so much.

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/2011/09/pining-for-the-fleshpots-of-reagan/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FrontPorchRepublic+%28Front+Porch+Republic%29

Hmmm. Let's see the source material on these, okay?

Cave Johnson
09-21-2011, 04:44 PM

OBL is fish food.
More young adults have health insurance.
Medicare growth in 2010 was half the recent average.
The wealthy are still doing fantastic.

go bowe
09-21-2011, 06:16 PM

hey, take it easy on that obama facts thing, man...

just because he hasn't accomplished much doesn't mean that he hasn't accomplished anything...

he flew into pakistan and shot osama, that's something...

and he...

well, he...

i mean he...

well, actually he hasn't done shit has he?

Cave Johnson
09-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Hmmm. Let's see the source material on these, okay?

Be your own research monkey.

Taco John
09-21-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm more interested in how those debt numbers reflect congress, rather than the executive.

fan4ever
09-22-2011, 09:01 PM

Well I'll say he's certainly stimulated the electorate; hopefully to his demise.

HonestChieffan
09-22-2011, 09:07 PM
http://blog.heritage.org/wp-content/uploads/special-obama-budget-deficits-chart-sm.jpg

Through the fog of the debt limit negotiations, President Obama has attempted to shift the blame for America’s deficit crisis to politicians at large, claiming that “neither party is blameless for the decisions that led to this problem.” Though the culture of overspending is endemic in Washington, don’t let the President fool you—some are a lot more guilty than others.
The fact is that Obama’s budget would set America on a dangerous fiscal course that leads to massive deficits well into the future—hitting $1.2 trillion in 2012 and, after dipping slightly, rising back to $1.2 trillion again by 2021.

FD
09-22-2011, 09:11 PM
http://blog.heritage.org/wp-content/uploads/special-obama-budget-deficits-chart-sm.jpg

Through the fog of the debt limit negotiations, President Obama has attempted to shift the blame for America’s deficit crisis to politicians at large, claiming that “neither party is blameless for the decisions that led to this problem.” Though the culture of overspending is endemic in Washington, don’t let the President fool you—some are a lot more guilty than others.
The fact is that Obama’s budget would set America on a dangerous fiscal course that leads to massive deficits well into the future—hitting $1.2 trillion in 2012 and, after dipping slightly, rising back to $1.2 trillion again by 2021.

The reason Obama's budget has higher deficits than the CBO baseline is because he extends most of the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts and the baseline assumes none are extended, which is why the baseline shows the deficit falling quickly after 2012. Just wanted to point that out.

HonestChieffan
09-22-2011, 09:12 PM
reason for deficit is overspending. that is reason.

FD
09-22-2011, 09:15 PM
reason for deficit is overspending. that is reason.

Is that reason?

There aren't significant differences between the spending in Obama's budget and the CBO baseline, the main difference is that Obama's budget extends most of the tax cuts where the baseline ends them. Some people might draw other conclusions from the chart you posted, so I just wanted to point that out.

patteeu
09-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Is that reason?

There aren't significant differences between the spending in Obama's budget and the CBO baseline, the main difference is that Obama's budget extends most of the tax cuts where the baseline ends them. Some people might draw other conclusions from the chart you posted, so I just wanted to point that out.

The CBO baseline isn't anything to brag to mom about.

The more fundamental point of that chart seems to be getting lost in this comparison between CBO baseline and Obama budget. The "fun" fact is that either way, deficits continue to trend higher under this president.

KC-TBB
09-23-2011, 02:47 PM
I have figured out in my short 60 years, you can use numbers to show about anything you want...the KEY is to be effective you must show them all. As has been pointed out here Bush's last 4 years was destroyed fiscally by the Democratically led congress and he didnt slam on the brakes when he should have. I have to admit though, this REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH thing of Obama's does seem to be working, someone got my slice of the pie this last 401k quarter.

patteeu
09-23-2011, 02:51 PM
I have figured out in my short 60 years, you can use numbers to show about anything you want...the KEY is to be effective you must show them all. As has been pointed out here Bush's last 4 years was destroyed fiscally by the Democratically led congress and he didnt slam on the brakes when he should have. I have to admit though, this REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH thing of Obama's does seem to be working, someone got my slice of the pie this last 401k quarter.

Please note that the moderators of this site would prefer you use "SMASH AND GRAB OF WEALTH" instead of that phrase in the future.