PDA

View Full Version : Misc Ok Time Warner is jerking me around...

Short Leash Hootie
09-21-2011, 04:31 PM
So I'm setting up internet for my new apartment, and I called Time Warner to get a nice starter package going.

The first lady was like, "oh, that's weird! The previous tenant has set up a cancellation for October 31st, I can't do anything about it right now..."

So I check it out and notice I have like 150 cable channels...free. Sweet. So obviously I have an internet connection, too. So I plug my cable modem in (knowing I won't be getting internet because they have to flash it from their end)...and realize there is no way to jerry rig it to get internet without talking to them.

So I call a local office and get a really rude lady, but whatever. Anyways, she's trying to sell me on phone service etc. etc. and I'm like no thanks...and then she's like well we'll waive the internet installation fee if you try it for a month...

and then I tell her "well, I don't need any installation services because the internet signal is already turned on in my apartment, I already have a modem and I already have a router...all I need is to talk to a technician after you set up my account to have him flash my modem and I'll be all set"...

and then she's like well I'm showing that your Time Warner cable services have been turned off in that apartment...and then I prove to her that my cable is indeed not off and is very much working (I was watching ESPN in HD at that time)...she's like, "well I'll have to send a representative down to fix that anyways!" I'm like, "go right ahead...but I obviously don't need to be charged an installation fee since I can just do it myself..."

and then she gave me some mumbo jumbo about la dadadada new customer etc. etc. etc.

what should I do?

Should I really have to pay an installation fee when I can just do it myself from home and they can just hit a switch on a computer real quick? Really?

Bacon Cheeseburger
09-21-2011, 04:39 PM
I've never been charged for an installation fee by Qwest for anything, ever.

Bearcat
09-21-2011, 04:57 PM
At my last place, the internet was never turned off.... they gave me a modem and said I'd only be charged an installation fee if I called back and they had to send someone out because of setup or signal problems.

Since it's in someone's name, I'm not sure if they'll actually flash your modem.... I'd go to a TWC store, sign up for services, get one of their modems, and tell them it was left on & you can set it up yourself. Then, after they have the account stuff sorted out, have them flash your modem if you really want it.

Dante84
09-21-2011, 05:02 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tGVnH39UzI8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Valiant
09-21-2011, 05:04 PM
I would just keep asking tell you get somebody that wont charge you.. or eecb..

big nasty kcnut
09-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Tell them not on the first date to be jerkin you around.

KurtCobain
09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Heh... The meat dragon is tired of being jerked around!

BossChief
09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Call back and cancel it and while you do it tell them the reason you are doing it is because you feel is unfair to have to pay an installation fee and ask to talk to their retentions department.

They will likely do something to work with you.

FYI just because your cable tv is on, doesn't mean all they have to do is hit a button for everything to be done. They have to tag your line so when they run audits and whatnot, they know that everybody is getting what they should. If they dont do that, next time they run an audit and your line has an old tag, they would disconnect your line and put a disco tag on it and it would likely take a couple days for someone to come out and fix it..also, just because you have cable tv service, doesn't mean the line is hot for a cable modem...its possible it has restrictors on the line that prohibit anything but TV use.

Buck
09-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Isn't it normally your roommate who does that?

cabletech94
09-21-2011, 09:10 PM
call back in. if they give you gruff, immediately ask to speak to the supervisor. that'll usually get the ball rollin.

pr_capone
09-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Call back and cancel it and while you do it tell them the reason you are doing it is because you feel is unfair to have to pay an installation fee and ask to talk to their retentions department.

They will likely do something to work with you.

FYI just because your cable tv is on, doesn't mean all they have to do is hit a button for everything to be done. They have to tag your line so when they run audits and whatnot, they know that everybody is getting what they should. If they dont do that, next time they run an audit and your line has an old tag, they would disconnect your line and put a disco tag on it and it would likely take a couple days for someone to come out and fix it..also, just because you have cable tv service, doesn't mean the line is hot for a cable modem...its possible it has restrictors on the line that prohibit anything but TV use.

THIS POST

I would the whole thing.

<----- works in cable (not TW)

Short Leash Hootie
10-01-2011, 06:51 PM
so I got uverse instead...

I got U450 plus internet...$109 a month

totally free installation, and a free modem/router...everything. I also get a $150 Visa debit card in 1 month for signing up. I also got an $82 credit for upgrading from U Family to U450...so I basically got 2.5 months of free cable/internet for doing uverse...

and then everyone said that with telephone wires, uverse sucked. I am nothing but impressed so far with uverse. Now I have a 720P TV so maybe I just don't notice what 1080P people notice but it seems as good as my Comcast with one exception...the internet is actually faster (probably a Dallas thing opposed to a Comcast/AT&T thing)...

I'm so pleased with uverse I figured I'd bump this thread in case anyone was thinking of switching.

Seriously...$232 free dollars from AT&T just for choosing AT&T and not Times Warner.

HoneyBadger
10-01-2011, 06:56 PM
I wish I could get jerked around right now

CrazyPhuD
10-01-2011, 07:09 PM

totally free installation, and a free modem/router...everything. I also get a $150 Visa debit card in 1 month for signing up. I also got an $82 credit for upgrading from U Family to U450...so I basically got 2.5 months of free cable/internet for doing uverse...

and then everyone said that with telephone wires, uverse sucked. I am nothing but impressed so far with uverse. Now I have a 720P TV so maybe I just don't notice what 1080P people notice but it seems as good as my Comcast with one exception...the internet is actually faster (probably a Dallas thing opposed to a Comcast/AT&T thing)...

I'm so pleased with uverse I figured I'd bump this thread in case anyone was thinking of switching.

Seriously...$232 free dollars from AT&T just for choosing AT&T and not Times Warner.

There is no 1080P not for cable not for broadcast...maybe for the PPV shows but even then cable '1080P' quality is garbage.

All cable and all network TV right now is only 1080i or 720p.

BigMeatballDave
10-01-2011, 07:24 PM
There is no 1080P not for cable not for broadcast...maybe for the PPV shows but even then cable '1080P' quality is garbage.

All cable and all network TV right now is only 1080i or 720p.

Directv's 1080p ppv is very high quality.

CrazyPhuD
10-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Directv's 1080p ppv is very high quality.

My standard of high quality and most other people's are fairly different. It's an unfortunate side effect of knowing too much about the underlying technologies. I know where to look to see if they are short changing things. One of the more obviously places to look to see if they are taking short cuts is to look at high motion scenes, if you see the classic blockiness they are doing it wrong. But I warn you, if you start to look for these thing eventually you'll start noticing them even if you're not looking for them...

BigMeatballDave
10-01-2011, 08:04 PM
My standard of high quality and most other people's are fairly different. It's an unfortunate side effect of knowing too much about the underlying technologies. I know where to look to see if they are short changing things. One of the more obviously places to look to see if they are taking short cuts is to look at high motion scenes, if you see the classic blockiness they are doing it wrong. But I warn you, if you start to look for these thing eventually you'll start noticing them even if you're not looking for them...Directv's technology is superior, IMO

All I know is I cant really tell the difference between their 1080p ppv and a Blu-ray movie.

Guru
10-01-2011, 08:05 PM
My standard of high quality and most other people's are fairly different. It's an unfortunate side effect of knowing too much about the underlying technologies. I know where to look to see if they are short changing things. One of the more obviously places to look to see if they are taking short cuts is to look at high motion scenes, if you see the classic blockiness they are doing it wrong. But I warn you, if you start to look for these thing eventually you'll start noticing them even if you're not looking for them...

This is why I absolutely HATE sports on NBC. They compress things to shit.

BigMeatballDave
10-01-2011, 08:11 PM
This is why I absolutely HATE sports on NBC. They compress things to shit.Yep. CBS and ABC/ESPN is the best.

Bearcat
10-01-2011, 09:09 PM

Does the $109 ever go up? I looked into U-Verse, but it was just loaded with frontend "deals" ($250 installation for free!!!!), then the monthly bill was going to skyrocket after 6 months. Looks like you got a good deal though, assuming you won't be paying $150/month next Spring.

Short Leash Hootie
10-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I assume it'll go up...I think my price is guaranteed for a year...I'll readdress the price when it starts going up...I think almost every cable company is like that though.

I'm very impressed so far.

Bearcat
10-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I assume it'll go up...I think my price is guaranteed for a year...I'll readdress the price when it starts going up...I think almost every cable company is like that though.

I'm very impressed so far.

Yeah, if it's a year, it's a pretty good deal... my Time Warner price is guaranteed for a year, then I'm sure it'll go up. I pay $115 for 25mbps download and cable with some Fox regional stations, NESN, the Big 10 Network, CBS College Sports, NHLN, MLBN, etc.