PDA

View Full Version : Economics Perry's Job Growth: 40% Of Texas Job Growth Since 2007 Went To Illegal Immigrants

Otter
09-22-2011, 11:09 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-jobs-immigrants-rick-perry-2011-9

Plenty of people have already attacked the Texas growth myth, but this report from the Center for Immigration Studies really stings.

The non-partisan group found that newly-arrived immigrants claimed 81% of state job growth from 2007 to 2011. What's worse, half of those immigrants were illegal -- representing 40% of state growth.

Obviously this won't go over well on the Perry campaign.

Newly-arrived immigrants dominated job growth despite representing only 29% of population growth.

Robert Reich, Paul Krugman and others have previously noted that most of the jobs added in Texas were low wage.

More from the CIS report:

Of jobs created in Texas since 2007, 81 percent were taken by newly arrived immigrant workers (legal and illegal).

In terms of numbers, between the second quarter of 2007, right before the recession began, and the second quarter of 2011, total employment in Texas increased by 279,000. Of this, 225,000 jobs went to immigrants (legal and illegal) who arrived in the United States in 2007 or later.

Of newly arrived immigrants who took a job in Texas, 93 percent were not U.S. citizens. Thus government data show that more than three-fourths of net job growth in Texas were taken by newly arrived non-citizens (legal and illegal).

The large share of job growth that went to immigrants is surprising because the native-born accounted for 69 percent of the growth in Texas’ working-age population (16 to 65). Thus, even though natives made up most of the growth in potential workers, most of the job growth went to immigrants.

The share of working-age natives holding a job in Texas declined significantly, from 71 percent in 2007 to 67 percent in 2011. This decline is very similar to the decline for natives in the United States as a whole and is an indication that the situation for native-born workers in Texas is very similar to the overall situation in the country despite the state’s job growth.

Of newly arrived immigrants who took jobs in Texas since 2007, we estimate that 50 percent (113,000) were illegal immigrants. Thus, about 40 percent of all the job growth in Texas since 2007 went to newly arrived illegal immigrants and 40 percent went to newly arrived legal immigrants.

Immigrants took jobs across the educational distribution. More than one out three (97,000) of newly arrived immigrants who took a job had at least some college.

These numbers raise the question of whether it makes sense to continue the current high level of legal immigration and also whether to continue to tolerate illegal immigration.

Chocolate Hog
09-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Wow.

Cave Johnson
09-22-2011, 11:13 AM
THE TEXAS MIRACLE! Illegal workers for everybody!

BucEyedPea
09-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Another Republican FRAUD running. So he's electable.

Jaric
09-22-2011, 11:22 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/l33171/donotwant/do_not_want.jpg

Saul Good
09-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm no Perry supporter, but I don't see how this is news. Texas created job opportunities. Washington let's illegals run amok. As a result, illegals get a lot of the jobs created in Texas.

That makes sense to me. How is this Perry's fault?

Otter
09-22-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm no Perry supporter, but I don't see how this is news. Texas created job opportunities. Washington let's illegals run amok. As a result, illegals get a lot of the jobs created in Texas.

I don't think it's saying it's all his fault as much as providing facts that he's an enabler of the problem and simply passing on information about all the jobs he brags about creating during his campaign. Perry also opposed Arizona's SB1070 crackdown on illegal immigration, opposed E-Verify (I'd love to hear his bullshit excuse for that one) and supports in-state tuition in Texas for illegals which is pretty much a welcome mat to illegals as well. It's also a pretty important fact that he conveniently omits when he thumps his chest on job creation.

He's running for president of US and the biggest problem is what these cowards get away with by not telling voters.

So tell me, what do he do to help prevent all these jobs being taken by illegals? You don't have to answer that.

orange
09-22-2011, 12:07 PM

Texas goes easy on illegal immigrants. It's not even debatable.

Stringent immigration laws passed in Arizona and Oklahoma have brought Texas state laws concerning the hiring of immigrants under scrutiny. In 2010, it is a crime in Arizona and Oklahoma to be an illegal immigrant or to hire an illegal immigrant. Employers can lose their business licenses, reports James Pinkerton of "The Houston Chronicle," and local and state law enforcement agencies are picking up federal roles as investigators of illegal aliens in Arizona. They are required to check for documentation of anyone they suspect of being an illegal immigrant. The constitutionality of these state laws is under review.

The state of Texas has a long history of providing employment to immigrants. Illegal immigrants generate $1.6 billion a year in state revenue, reports Jay Gormley for "CBS News," particularly in agriculture, construction and hospitality.

Presently, Texas state legislators have passed just one bill concerning immigrant hiring practices, reports the Texas House of Representatives House Research Commission (HRC). Businesses that receive public subsidies must certify that they do not employ illegal immigrants.

Read more: Texas State Hiring Immigration Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6821941_texas-state-hiring-immigration-laws.html#ixzz1YhaHb0B5

The real question here should be "what is Perry's actual position, as in what will he do as President?"

Saul Good
09-22-2011, 12:11 PM
What Otter and Orange have presented is a different issue entirely. It sounds to me like Perry has a strong record of job creation and a poor record on immigration.

His strong record on job growth does not bolster his immigration record. Conversely, his weak record on immigration does not detract from his strong job growth.

Chocolate Hog
09-22-2011, 12:14 PM
What a conservative position to take Saul.

Saul Good
09-22-2011, 12:20 PM
What a conservative position to take Saul.

Facilitating a business environment condusive to job growth is good.

Being soft on illegal immigration is bad.

Care to enlighten me as to where I deviated from my conservative roots there?

ChiefaRoo
09-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Illegal immigration is a Federal Problem. Not a State problem.

blaise
09-22-2011, 12:46 PM
I wonder why so many people from up north move to Texas, because the whole jobs thing is clearly a myth.
They should stay in places like NY state or Detroit, where there's plenty of jobs to go around for everyone. I predict, after this report becomes well know, people will flock back to to northeast and rust belt cities will once again thrive.

cookster50
09-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Illegal immigration is all of ours problem.

BucEyedPea
09-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Yet, it wasn't always that way until we got Federal government creep whittling down the Constitution.

HonestChieffan
09-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I thought states who want to enforce immigration laws were being sued by the federal government for such things?

ClevelandBronco
09-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Texas goes easy on illegal immigrants.

Arizona found out what happens when a state tries to go hard on them.

blaise
09-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I don't know that too many Texans are worried about illegal immigrants stealing their jobs. I doubt many would be lining up to do construction work, road work, and landscaping all day in 108 degree weather.

HonestChieffan
09-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Damn Perry for creating jobs. Makes Obama look bad cause he has done shit on the job front. Stupid people moving to Texas, avoiding state income tax, businesses moving to texas. What is wrong with people. People should move into KCMO so the schools will get accreditation again, Or Detroit so there is less blight. People are so selfish.

If Perry was using the Obama plan, those illegals would go where? No new jobs in most places and its to cold in North Dakota.

A Rising tide raises all ships.

ClevelandBronco
09-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Damn Perry for creating jobs.

Well, that's bullshit as well.

banyon
09-22-2011, 08:07 PM

It's not a question of fault.

The issue is that Perry brags about this and acts like it's the best reason and proof for why we should elect him. He acts like its an asset. As you point out, it's not.

blaise
09-22-2011, 08:21 PM
I's still say the jobs situation is better in Texas than most every other state.

Saul Good
09-22-2011, 08:22 PM
It's not a question of fault.

The issue is that Perry brags about this and acts like it's the best reason and proof for why we should elect him. He acts like its an asset. As you point out, it's not.

I don't follow. It seems to me that he's created an environment in which jobs are more plentiful than they are elsewhere. That is an asset regardless of what you think about the immigration situation.

HonestChieffan
09-22-2011, 08:25 PM
He must have had a specific policy that favored illegals and immigrants? Is Perry anti real by God Americans?

banyon
09-22-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't follow. It seems to me that he's created an environment in which jobs are more plentiful than they are elsewhere. That is an asset regardless of what you think about the immigration situation.

As Ron Paul has pointed out, most of the jobs were government jobs.

That's not good if you're a Republican and you believe that adds to the deficit without creating real value for the economy.

As this thread points out, a large chunk of the remaining jobs went to illegals.

That's not good if you're a Republican and believe that illegal immigration takes the jobs of legal immigrants and citizens who would otherwise have decent wage-paying jobs.

This is supposed to be philosophy that is right of center, so it's certainly weird to have it disavowed now. (except for HCF, who has always ardently supported as much illegal immigration and outsourcing of US jobs as possible).

banyon
09-22-2011, 08:27 PM
He must have had a specific policy that favored illegals and immigrants? Is Perry anti real by God Americans?

It's certainly different than Gov. Jan Brewer's policy.

dirk digler
09-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Why aren't those hard working Texans taking those jobs instead of illegals?

Saul Good
09-22-2011, 08:43 PM
As Ron Paul has pointed out, most of the jobs were government jobs.

That's not good if you're a Republican and you believe that adds to the deficit without creating real value for the economy.

As this thread points out, a large chunk of the remaining jobs went to illegals.

That's not good if you're a Republican and believe that illegal immigration takes the jobs of legal immigrants and citizens who would otherwise have decent wage-paying jobs.

This is supposed to be philosophy that is right of center, so it's certainly weird to have it disavowed now. (except for HCF, who has always ardently supported as much illegal immigration and outsourcing of US jobs as possible).

The government job thing is a legit counter-argument to the job creation claim. The illegals accounting for many of the jobs is not. That is a separate issue.

If billay wants to get a gig as a dj for a lemon party, he might tell the host that he played songs at a party the night before from 8:00 PM until 3:00 AM without taking a break. A competing dj might point out that he played nothing but gospel tracks the entire time. His music choice may prevent him from getting the job, but it doesn't take away from the fact that he played 7 straight hours of music.

HonestChieffan
09-22-2011, 08:48 PM
81% went to new Immigrants according to the OP then Banyon says most were government jobs. Damn government is hiring illegals in Texas and Perry must be behind it.

And I am an ardent supporter of illegal immigration to go with my liberal bias.

HonestChieffan
09-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Why aren't those hard working Texans taking those jobs instead of illegals?

hard working Texans are working

dirk digler
09-22-2011, 08:54 PM
hard working Texans are working

LMAO Touche

HonestChieffan
09-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Kooky Time with Uncle Ron

banyon
09-22-2011, 08:57 PM
The government job thing is a legit counter-argument to the job creation claim. The illegals accounting for many of the jobs is not. That is a separate issue.

If billay wants to get a gig as a dj for a lemon party, he might tell the host that he played songs at a party the night before from 8:00 PM until 3:00 AM without taking a break. A competing dj might point out that he played nothing but gospel tracks the entire time. His music choice may prevent him from getting the job, but it doesn't take away from the fact that he played 7 straight hours of music.

Your analogy is strange.

If I say I created 100 jobs in my town, you don't think it's important that someone challenges me that it was 100 kids I paid 10 cents a piece to hand out flyers for 5 minutes? The quality of the jobs doesn't matter?

banyon
09-22-2011, 08:59 PM
81% went to new Immigrants according to the OP then Banyon says most were government jobs. Damn government is hiring illegals in Texas and Perry must be behind it.

And I am an ardent supporter of illegal immigration to go with my liberal bias.

Logic and math fail.

If 51% of jobs were government jobs, and 50% of the remainder (what I posted) are to illegals, how many illegals got government jobs?

(Hint, the answer is not 81%).

Saul Good
09-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Your analogy is strange.

If I say I created 100 jobs in my town, you don't think it's important that someone challenges me that it was 100 kids I paid 10 cents a piece to hand out flyers for 5 minutes? The quality of the jobs doesn't matter?

You've changed the discussion from the immigration status of those working the jobs to the quality of the jobs created. That's a different argument entirely.

If the jobs were minimum wage or higher in pay, they were legit jobs.

FD
09-22-2011, 09:05 PM
I's still say the jobs situation is better in Texas than most every other state.

Texas' unemployment rate is the 27th in the country, so as it turns out a majority of states have better jobs situations than Texas does.

If you look at just the change over the past year, only 3 states have done worse than Texas, so by that measure almost every state has a better situation than Texas.

http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstch.htm

banyon
09-22-2011, 09:07 PM
You've changed the discussion from the immigration status of those working the jobs to the quality of the jobs created. That's a different argument entirely.

If the jobs were minimum wage or higher in pay, they were legit jobs.

Have to disagree. Illegal immigrant jobs and low wages (often times illegally low) are synonymous.

That's why I used the analogy interchangeably.

Saul Good
09-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Have to disagree. Illegal immigrant jobs and low wages (often times illegally low) are synonymous.

That's why I used the analogy interchangeably.

If they are illegally low, I don't believe they would be counted in the labor report. They may be artificially low, but they wouldn't be illegally low.

HonestChieffan
09-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Logic and math fail.

If 51% of jobs were government jobs, and 50% of the remainder (what I posted) are to illegals, how many illegals got government jobs?

(Hint, the answer is not 81%).

Your post and OP then dont compute....as you were

banyon
09-22-2011, 09:16 PM
If they are illegally low, I don't believe they would be counted in the labor report. They may be artificially low, but they wouldn't be illegally low.

Sure they could be. You think people willing to pay illegally low wages are not willing to fudge their numbers to the labor department?

banyon
09-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Your post and OP then dont compute....as you were

Sure it did, if you actually read both.

It was really a pretty simple point, I'm sorry you chose again to not read it very carefully.

Saul Good
09-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Sure they could be. You think people willing to pay illegally low wages are not willing to fudge their numbers to the labor department?

I think they pay cash and don't report anything to the DOL.

banyon
09-22-2011, 09:31 PM
I think they pay cash and don't report anything to the DOL.

This is not just Ray's backcountry road crew hiring these guys:

How many Fortune 500 companies pad their profits by hiring illegal aliens?

January 5, 2011 -

The following is a short list of U.S. companies caught with illegal aliens in their employ:

-Dunkin Donuts...George Valvanis, 53, of New Hampshire knowingly hired illegal aliens at several Dunkin’ Donuts stores in and around Portland, Maine. He conducted the illegal practice between 2001 and 2009.

In December 2010, Valvanis pleaded guilty to one count of engaging in a pattern or practice of recruiting or hiring illegal aliens unauthorized to work in the United States, and to one count of using a false attestation immigration document.

Valvanis could face up to five and a half years in prison. He will be sentenced in April.

-Chipotle Mexican Grills...In December 2010, Chipotle fired about 50 workers from several locations in Minnesota, after Immigration and Customs Enforcement apparently began an investigation into the immigration status of the restaurant chain’s workforce.

In a press release, Chipotle said: “We are fully cooperating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials in Minnesota in connection with a document request they have made.”
Advertisement

Workers were fired at locations in downtown Minneapolis (Skyway and Seven Corners), Golden Valley, Coon Rapids, Richfield, Stillwater and Hudson, Wis.

Chipotle has over 1,000 locations across the country and recorded a net income of $126 million in 2009.

-Sizzler...In June 2010, Maricopa County Sheriff's Office (MCSO) deputies raided two Sizzler steak house locations in Phoenix, in search of 23 suspected illegal alien workers. Nine were taken into custody.

The raids were precipitated after the sheriff’s office received a tip from a former manager who told them he was asked to quit when he refused to hire employees who could not produce proper identification.

According to MCSO, the former manager was offered three months severance pay in exchange for not reporting the information to law enforcement.

One of the illegal workers was actually deported three times from the U.S. and each time he returned, was hired back by Sizzler.

-Pro’s Ranch Markets...In May 2010, An Immigration and Customs Enforcement audit of Pro’s Ranch Markets in Phoenix, resulted in the firing of 300 illegal aliens. The federal audit discovered that 20 percent of the company’s workforce were living and working in the country illegally.

Julie Pace, an attorney for Pro’s Ranch Market claimed the illegal aliens, presented forged documentation at the time they were hired.

Pace said: “We complied with all the requirements, but they were still able to slip through.”

Pro’s Ranch Market operates six stores in the Phoenix area.

Soon after the illegal aliens were fired, local residents flooded into the stores, applying for the job openings.

-Koch Foods...In February 2010, it was announced that Koch Foods was forced to pay a fine of $536,046, after a 2007 Immigrations and Customs Enforcement raid turned up 161 illegal aliens working in their Fairfield, OH plant.

ICE agents found 12 illegal aliens hiding in the walk-in freezer. Five of them required medical treatment.

Shortly after the raid, WCPO investigative reporter Laure Quinlivan asked Koch Foods human resources director Monty Lobb about the allegations. Lobb blamed the situation on the federal government, and their lack of cooperation in confirming the residency of potential employees.

Lobb responded: "Nobody will work with you, and I've been doing it on my own, cleaning up, making sure that everybody is legal. Now is everybody legal? Probably not. But by the documentation I have to have to do it, I terminated two people yesterday when I found out their papers were inaccurate."

Despite Lobb’s claims, when the reporter asked him to provide some documentation that he tried to verify his employees’ eligibility, he declined to do so.

Koch Foods which processes chicken, has nine plants nationwide, and supplies products to several restaurant chains, including Applebee’s, Cracker Barrel, and Dairy Queen.

-Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc...In July 2009, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement announced that Krispy Kreme agreed to pay a $40,000 fine for hiring illegal aliens, after an inspection by ICE discovered the company had hired dozens of illegal workers at their Cincinnati, OH factory.

According to the terms of the agreement, in addition to paying the fine, the doughnut maker promised to revamp their hiring process in order to hire only those authorized to work in this country.

-American Apparel...A 2009 investigation uncovered 1,800 illegal alien workers, using fraudulent documents. The company, located in Los Angeles is the nation’s largest clothing manufacturer, and the 1,800 illegal workers represented a third of their workforce. The owners of American Apparel have been outspoken proponents of an amnesty plan for this nation’s illegal alien population.

-McDonald’s...In July 2008, two executives and the owner of Mack Associates Inc. which operates 11 McDonalds franchises in Nevada pleaded guilty to federal conspiracy charges and aiding and abetting, after investigators determined that illegal aliens were not only working at the fast-food restaurants, but had been given names and Social Security numbers belonging to others by the managers.

According to Nevada U.S. attorney Gregory Brower, Immigrations and Customs Enforcement raids at restaurants in Reno, Sparks and Fernley resulted in the detainment of 56 illegal aliens.

In March 2010, sheriff’s deputies in Maricopa County, AZ, executed search warrants at four McDonald’s restaurants, turning up 50 illegal alien workers. Most were charged with identity theft and fraud.

McDonald’s restaurants in many states have been raided by immigration officials and illegal aliens are often caught using stolen IDs and Social Security numbers.

-Agriprocessors Inc...In May 2008, ICE agents executed criminal and administrative search warrants at Agriprocessors, Inc., in Postville, IA, which resulted in the arrest of 389 illegal aliens. 305 of those arrested were also convicted of criminal offenses.

CEO Sholom Rubashkin was arrested and charged with federal conspiracy of harboring illegal immigrants and aiding and abetting aggravated identity theft. However, the U.S. Attorney’s office later dropped all 72 charges against him.

-Pilgrim’s Pride...In April 2007, ICE agents arrested 311 illegal aliens working at five Pilgrim’s Pride sites. Of the 311 arrested, 91 were charged with other criminal violations.

-Del Monte Produce...In June 2007, ICE agents arrested 168 illegal alien employees at their Portland, OR facility. In addition to the illegal workers, 13 managers and other workers were arrested and charged with various crimes including selling Social Security cards.

-Verizon...In 2007, a Virginia State Trooper pulled over a van on Interstate 264, and found 14 illegal aliens inside the vehicle. The words “Verizon Contractor” were stamped on the doors.

The 12 Mexican and two Salvadoran nationals were hired by B&B Cable to dig ditches for Verizon’s fiber-optic project.

In 2008, B&B’s owner, Robert Buttery, was sentenced to 14 months in prison for hiring illegal aliens.

According to court documents, the workers were paid $100 per day for a 12-hour shift. However, living expenses were also deducted from their weekly pay. Apparently, all of them were living in one house which was either owned or rented by the company.

The men were making about $7 an hour for the back breaking work.

Assistant U.S. Attorney James Metcalfe told the court that Buttery’s company grossed $1.8 million during the four year period in which they employed illegal aliens, without ever paying a dime in Social Security or Medicare taxes.

-Swift and Company...In December 2006, ICE agents arrested 1,297 illegal aliens at six Swift meat processing factories in six states. 274 of those arrested were also charged with other criminal offenses.

-Golden State Fence Company...In December 2006, the company located in Southern California agreed to pay nearly $5 million in fines for repeatedly hiring illegal aliens. Two executives from the company may also serve jail time. The Golden State Fence Company's work includes some of the border fence between San Diego and Mexico.

After a federal investigation in 1999 found dozens of illegal aliens on the payroll, Golden State promised to change their hiring practices. However, follow-up checks in 2004 and 2005 revealed that many of those same illegal workers were still on the job. U.S. Attorney Carol Lam said that as many as a third of the company's 750 workers may have been illegal aliens

Ironically, Golden State actually built a section of the border fence seperating San Diego and Mexico.

-Smithfield Foods...After ICE agents raided the Tar Heel, NC plant and arrested 21 illegal alien workers, 500 workers with fake Social Security numbers were promptly fired from the factory. Another raid in August 2007, netted 28 more illegal aliens, all were from Mexico, Guatemala, and Honduras.

-Wal-Mart...In 2005, company officials escaped criminal prosecution when they paid the federal government an $11 million settlement, after it was discovered that cleaning contractors Wal-Mart hired were using large numbers of illegal aliens.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents arrested 245 illegal aliens at Wal-Marts throughout Pennsylvania.

Government prosecutors claimed they had wiretaps to prove that Wal-Mart executives knew illegal aliens were working in their stores.

However, according to the terms of the settlement, Wal-Mart never admitted to any wrongdoing, and the company placed all of the blame on outside contractors.

It should be quite evident to even the most casual observer that the labor of illegal aliens is no longer confined to the landscaping business. It should also be just as evident that if illegal aliens were removed from this country (through a combination of both forced and self-imposed deportation), the current unemployment crisis would be greatly diminished.

With 1 in 5 Americans out of work, we simply cannot afford to allow one job go to an illegal alien. The issue of illegal immigration is now a fight for the survival of the American family.

As I always say…For every illegal alien with a job, there is an American without one.

http://www.examiner.com/immigration-reform-in-national/how-many-fortune-500-companies-pad-their-profits-by-hiring-illegal-aliens

SNR
09-22-2011, 09:32 PM
My God Rick Perry is fucking awful

Brock
09-22-2011, 09:37 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/perry-i-dont-think-you-have-heart-if-you-oppose-state-tuition-children-illegal-immigrants_594080.html

banyon
09-22-2011, 09:39 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/perry-i-dont-think-you-have-heart-if-you-oppose-state-tuition-children-illegal-immigrants_594080.html

Weird, that's supposed to be the liberal trick, If you don't agree with us on x, then "you don't have a heart".

ROYC75
09-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Ouch ! That will leave a mark!

( Perry camp ) Incoming missile !!!!!!!