PDA

View Full Version : Life Toothache from HELL

luv
09-25-2011, 01:39 AM
Thursday night, I make it to bed at 1am. No biggy, since that still gives me six hours of sleep. I wake up at 2:30 with a killer toothache. I have an upper molar in the very back that I lost half of years ago. I take it that it's finally infected. I should have gone and had it pulled yesterday, but I had a certification exam this morning that I didn't want to have to get up and go to while in that much pain. A friend told me that there's a walk-in dental clinic open on Saturdays. I have a few hydrocodone from the last time I had work done, do I decide to take two, get some sleep, and go get my tooth yanked after my exam. Well, even with taking the drugs, I can't sleep until late, and I still wake up every hour and a half in pain. So, another four hour night of sleep. After my exam, I discover that the walk-in clinic is, in fact, NOT open on Saturdays. I've taken Aleve today, and now the remainder of my hyrocodones. Still no sleep. I keep dozing off for five minutes, but keep waking up in pain. So, since Thursday morning at 7am, I'm up to about 9 hours of sleep. It's raining here, and I would be sleeping so well right now.

I wasn't going to post about it and whine, but it's late, I'm tired, nearly the entire left side of my face hurts, and I just wish someone would shoot me.

CrazyPhuD
09-25-2011, 01:41 AM
I always used to tell my GF that best cure for a toothache was semen. She's never suggested otherwise.

Chocolate Hog
09-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Hey sorry to hear thise I've had this happen a few times and even posted pics. Do you have a primary dentist? I would call around even if offices are closed some do leave an emergency contact number maybe you can get in touch with them?

luv
09-25-2011, 01:53 AM
Hey sorry to hear thise I've had this happen a few times and even posted pics. Do you have a primary dentist? I would call around even if offices are closed some do leave an emergency contact number maybe you can get in touch with them?

I've changed insurance since the last time I had work done. Not sure how much will be covered, and I'm pretty sure an emergency extraction done on the weekend would cost me out the wazoo.

Chocolate Hog
09-25-2011, 01:56 AM
I've changed insurance since the last time I had work done. Not sure how much will be covered, and I'm pretty sure an emergency extraction done on the weekend would cost me out the wazoo.

Try having a root canal done without insurance. Cost me a thousand.

Predarat
09-25-2011, 01:57 AM
I fucking hate toothaches! They fucking suck! Earaches fucking suck too!

Chocolate Hog
09-25-2011, 01:59 AM
I've broken a collar bone and ankle but neither come close to the pain of a tooth infection sorry you have to go through that Luv. Is it swollen?

NJChiefsFan
09-25-2011, 02:28 AM

I really feel for you. I had the exact same situation a year ago. No insurance and my back tooth came in angled. Pushed so hard against the other teeth it broke in half and eventually got infected. The pain is beyond belief. You can't even think straight.

I thought the pain of getting the infected tooth was going to be bad, but after the pain from the actual tooth, nothing else even compares. To this day still far and away the worst pain I have ever felt.

I've broken a collar bone and ankle but neither come close to the pain of a tooth infection sorry you have to go through that Luv. Is it swollen?

I hear you. Tooth pain is something horrible.

luv
09-25-2011, 05:03 AM
Two hours and fifteen minutes. Longest I've actually slept at one time.

prhom
09-25-2011, 05:11 AM
Two hours and fifteen minutes. Longest I've actually slept at one time.

Which do you think will be more painful today, your tooth or watching the Chiefs game later?

Seriously though, are you going to try to make it through until Monday or can you go somewhere today? You don't want to let the infection go if it's really bad, it could cost you a lot more in the long run.

luv
09-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Which do you think will be more painful today, your tooth or watching the Chiefs game later?

Seriously though, are you going to try to make it through until Monday or can you go somewhere today? You don't want to let the infection go if it's really bad, it could cost you a lot more in the long run.

I'm gonna have to say the tooth.

I'm calling to leave a message at my regular dentist to see if they could fit me in first thing Monday.

I'm numb to the Chiefs.

BossChief
09-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Try rinsing it with cold salt water and take asprin.

Thats the only thing that ever helped me when I had one.

Hope it helps.

Toothaches suck

prhom
09-25-2011, 05:41 AM
What about the oral anesthetic ointment you can buy at the supermarket? Have you tried that? I've never used it, but as bad as the pain sounds I'd be trying everything at once!

griZZly64
09-25-2011, 06:18 AM
too bad you're not near Mexico. Dental work there is so cheap.

Gonzo
09-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Antifreeze mouthwash?
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
09-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Try to get a root canal before an extraction.

Bwana
09-25-2011, 08:14 AM
http://www.thebeveragestore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/l/old-crow-bourbon.jpg
+

http://www.nicknormal.com/normalblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pliers.jpg

cdcox
09-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Isn't Mo down the road?

Sorry you're going through this.

Bwana
09-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Heh, On a serious note, a lot of these guys will come in on a Sturday, or Sunday, for an emergency like this. I would be making some calls, if it hurts that bad. Make it happen.

Good luck.

Hog Farmer
09-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Rub some semen on it and move on.

MOhillbilly
09-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Race Brothers.

notorious
09-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Infected tooth is an emergency. If it spreads from your jaw you are in serious life-threatening trouble.

Ace Gunner
09-25-2011, 08:43 AM
listerine it a bunch

PRIEST
09-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Olive oil mixed with clove oil mixed on cotton ball chomp down and wait it works but its nasty tasting fuck a tooth ache

Chiefnj2
09-25-2011, 08:49 AM
ER's may have a dentist on call for emergency's as well.

4th and Long
09-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Sounds like either an exposed nerve or an infection or perhaps both. Either way, you need to get to a dentist ASAP. If it's infected you cojjl become septic and die. Not trying to scare you but it can happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv
09-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Olive oil mixed with clove oil mixed on cotton ball chomp down and wait it works but its nasty tasting **** a tooth ache

I got some toothache stuff last night. I have Orajel, but I wanted something different. The stuff I got is a medicine. I noticed clove oil is one of the ingredients. It does taste nasty, but it does help a little.

Ace Gunner
09-25-2011, 10:00 AM
you need to knock the bacteria count down. use listerine for that and your pain will be reduced significantly.

luv
09-25-2011, 10:01 AM
I actually slept for nearly 4 hours straight! Still tired and nodding off, but I do feel better. Tooth still hurts, but it's the type of pain that comes and goes. Seems like that would be an exposed nerve. However, looking back at what's left of the tooth, it appears to be getting darker in color.

Calling my dentist office today to leave a message about getting in first thing in the morning.

luv
09-25-2011, 10:02 AM
And thanks for the advice all. I didn't want to whine, but OMG was I in pain last night. And with the lack of sleep....

Gonzo
09-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Hey Luv, you are likely dealing with some inflammation around the affected area.you can take 800 mg's of ibuprofen, (motrin) and see if that helps. That's usually 4 tablets btw. You can take up to 2000 mg's a day but I would only take 1600 over a 24 hour period. (Unless you have liver or kidney issues then stick to tylenol)

See if that helps,it will at least get any swelling down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sanka
09-25-2011, 10:10 AM
try some Dayquil sinus medication...seriously

O.city
09-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Prob gonna have to have an extraction, or root canal, crown if you want to save the tooth, as it sounds like you might have an apical abscess/infection. You could have the tooth extracted and an implant placed with a PFM or all porcelain crown on top. Those are really cool but pricey.

Bwana
09-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Prob gonna have to have an extraction, or root canal, crown if you want to save the tooth, as it sounds like you might have an apical abscess/infection. You could have the tooth extracted and an implant placed with a PFM or all porcelain crown on top. Those are really cool but pricey.

Very pricey.

Ace Gunner
09-25-2011, 10:29 AM
luv, the dentist will give you antibiotics script and send you home. Dentists wont work an abscess tooth because of the danger in spreading to the system. You can get a head start using listerine and depending on how advanced you are now, you may be able to knock the abscess down to a safe point the dentist will work you right away.

Gargle listerine often as possible and combined with Ibuprofen etc, you will begin feeling better immediately.

luv
09-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Hey Luv, you are likely dealing with some inflammation around the affected area.you can take 800 mg's of ibuprofen, (motrin) and see if that helps. That's usually 4 tablets btw. You can take up to 2000 mg's a day but I would only take 1600 over a 24 hour period. (Unless you have liver or kidney issues then stick to tylenol)

Posted via Mobile Device

I've been taking Aleve. It's an anti-inflammatory, right?

luv
09-25-2011, 10:31 AM

It's the very back molar, so I'm not worried about replacing it. I do winder if getting it pulled will affect the crown that is next to it though.

Ace Gunner
09-25-2011, 10:32 AM

yes, but it won't do much until you start knocking the hell out of the bacteria count.

luv
09-25-2011, 10:33 AM
try some Dayquil sinus medication...seriously

I actually thought about that. When the pain flairs up, I can feel it up my cheek and next to my nose. Sometimes, squeezing the bridge of m nose helps the pain go away.

O.city
09-25-2011, 10:33 AM
yes, but it won't do much until you start knocking the hell out of the bacteria count.

Listerine isn't gonna lower the bacterial count very fast at all. Sorry

luv
09-25-2011, 10:34 AM

I've been doing the Listerine Complete cinnamint.

Gonzo
Yeah, that's naproxen which is an anti-inflammatory. It should do the trick but it's a little weaker but longer lasting. Naproxen is usually an extended release drug that takes a while to work up to max strength.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
It's the very back molar, so I'm not worried about replacing it. I do winder if getting it pulled will affect the crown that is next to it though.

Actually getting that out of there will decrease the amount of caries prominent bacteria against the adjacent tooth. It might change you occlusion a little so your jaws might be sore ffor a little bit

Ace Gunner
Listerine isn't gonna lower the bacterial count very fast at all. Sorry

yes, it will. instantly you idiot.

Ace Gunner
09-25-2011, 10:36 AM
I've been doing the Listerine Complete cinnamint.

how often? do it at least every hour.

O.city
09-25-2011, 10:38 AM
yes, it will. instantly you idiot.

While it is antibacterial, the problem is from the inflammatory cells causing vasodilation. The pain is coming from the abscess which is walled off likely by fibronectin. Therefore the mouthwash isn't going to get to the fluid in the abscess. It will slightly lower the overall count in the oral cavity but not the abscess.

4th and Long
09-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

2400mg is the max dose Q day for ibuprofen, not 2000mg. If she has inflamation an NSAID like ibuprofen is what I would take. Take with food. If you have any stomach issues THEN I would go the Tylenol route.
Posted via Mobile Device

4th and Long
09-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Actually getting that out of there will decrease the amount of caries prominent bacteria against the adjacent tooth. It might change you occlusion a little so your jaws might be sore ffor a little bit

Yep
Posted via Mobile Device

Sanka
09-25-2011, 10:45 AM
I actually thought about that. When the pain flairs up, I can feel it up my cheek and next to my nose. Sometimes, squeezing the bridge of m nose helps the pain go away.

Ive had the same problem, take dayquil sinus medication...I think its sinus season.

Ace Gunner
09-25-2011, 10:48 AM
While it is antibacterial, the problem is from the inflammatory cells causing vasodilation. The pain is coming from the abscess which is walled off likely by fibronectin. Therefore the mouthwash isn't going to get to the fluid in the abscess. It will slightly lower the overall count in the oral cavity but not the abscess.

well no shit backpeddler. but to say alcohol wont kill bacteria is dumbass. also, alcohol is a penetrant - it will penetrate tissue.

I'm not saying listerine will cure the problem, but like I said the dentist will use a strong antibiotic first and then schedule a surgery. that is a hint if you take hints that don't clobber you.

luv
09-25-2011, 10:51 AM

I inherited bad teeth from my mom. I think it's been about 18 months ago that I got the very back molars on the right side of my mouth (top and bottom) along with a wisdom tooth that had come in on top next to my molar. I know about the pain and the instructions for preventing dry socket. Was going to have this particular tooth pulled back then, but my money ran out, it wasn't bothering me, and I wanted to wait for the right side of my mouth to heal before doing the left.

O.city
09-25-2011, 10:57 AM
well no shit backpeddler. but to say alcohol wont kill bacteria is dumbass. also, alcohol is a penetrant - it will penetrate tissue.

I'm not saying listerine will cure the problem, but like I said the dentist will use a strong antibiotic first and then schedule a surgery. that is a hint if you take hints that don't clobber you.

Alcohol is a drying agent. It is added to mouthwashes to make people get that clean feeling. It isn't the alcohol in the mouthwash that kills much. It will not penetrate tissue into an abscess. Alcohol will kill a small number of bacteria but the gram positive bacteria in the mouth likely causing the problem have a thick layer of peptidoglycan and won't easily be killed by alcohol. 2 things, I got a degree in Microbiology and am currently in dental school. So yes, it will kill some bacteria. And an antibiotic is needed so the patient doesn't become septicemic when you pull the tooth.

luv
09-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Alcohol is a drying agent. It is added to mouthwashes to make people get that clean feeling. It isn't the alcohol in the mouthwash that kills much. It will not penetrate tissue into an abscess. Alcohol will kill a small number of bacteria but the gram positive bacteria in the mouth likely causing the problem have a thick layer of peptidoglycan and won't easily be killed by alcohol. 2 things, I got a degree in Microbiology and am currently in dental school. So yes, it will kill some bacteria. And an antibiotic is needed so the patient doesn't become septicemic when you pull the tooth.

What is this exactly?

O.city
09-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Septicemia is infection of the blood. And that is the extreme and likely won't happen but your dentist will be cautious so that it doesn't. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Ace Gunner
09-25-2011, 11:12 AM

great. labs are neat. but I have a lot of confidence in the notion you have never had an abscess you had to nurse for a week without the help of a dentist.

Nzoner
09-25-2011, 11:13 AM
:bong:

4th and Long
09-25-2011, 11:14 AM
:bong:
Joe! LMAO

BossChief
09-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Put sum tussin on it

4th and Long
09-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Septicemia is infection of the blood. And that is the extreme and likely won't happen but your dentist will be cautious so that it doesn't. I really wouldn't worry about it.
I'd error on the side of caution.
Man Dies From Toothache, Couldn't Afford Meds

By CARRIE GANN, ABC News Medical Unit
Sept. 2, 2011

A 24-year-old Cincinnati father died from a tooth infection this week because he couldn't afford his medication, offering a sobering reminder of the importance of oral health and the number of people without access to dental or health care.

According to NBC affiliate WLWT, Kyle Willis' wisdom tooth started hurting two weeks ago. When dentists told him it needed to be pulled, he decided to forgo the procedure, because he was unemployed and had no health insurance.

When his face started swelling and his head began to ache, Willis went to the emergency room, where he received prescriptions for antibiotics and pain medications. Willis couldn't afford both, so he chose the pain medications.

The tooth infection spread, causing his brain to swell. He died Tuesday.

Calls to Willis' family were not immediately returned. University Hospital in Cincinnati, where Willis was admitted, did not comment, citing federal privacy laws.

"People don't realize that dental disease can cause serious illness," said Dr. Irvin Silverstein, a dentist at the University of California at San Diego. "The problems are not just cosmetic. Many people die from dental disease."

Willis' story is not unique. In 2007, 12-year-old Deamonte Driver also died when a tooth infection spread to his brain. The Maryland boy underwent two operations and six weeks of hospital care, totaling $250,000. Doctors said a routine $80 tooth extraction could have saved his life. His family was uninsured and had recently lost its Medicaid benefits, keeping Deamonte from having dental surgery.

"When people are unemployed or don't have insurance, where do they go? What do they do?" Silverstein said. "People end up dying, and these are the most treatable, preventable diseases in the world."

Getting access to dental care is particularly tough for low-income adults and children, and it's getting tougher as the economy worsens. In April, the Kaiser Family Foundation reported that 33 percent of people surveyed skipped dental care or dental checkups because they couldn't afford them. A 2003 report by the U.S. Surgeon General found that 108 million Americans had no dental insurance, nearly 2.5 times the number who had no health insurance.

Trips to the dentist aren't the only expenses hard-up Americans are skipping. An August report by the Commonwealth Fund found that 72 percent of people who lost their health insurance when they lost their jobs said they skipped needed health care or did not fill prescriptions because of cost.

"People want to believe there's a safety net that catches all of these people, and there isn't," said Dr. Glenn Stream, president-elect of the American Academy of Family Physicians. He noted that it is often young men who are the most likely to lack health coverage.

Dr. Jim Jirjis, director of general internal medicine at Vanderbilt University, said people, like Willis, without access to care often die of conditions that were much more common decades ago.

"He [Willis] might as well have been living in 1927," Jirjis said. "All of the advances we've made in medicine today and are proud of, for people who don't have coverage, you might as well never have developed those."

There are a number of free dental clinics in operation around the country, where dentists volunteer to provide care to those without health insurance. But even if Willis had access to a free dental clinic, Stream said he still may not have been able to get the care he needed for his infection. "The wait is often months at these clinics, and this young man died within two weeks of his problem," Stream said.

Silverstein operates three free dental clinics in the San Diego area. "We're overwhelmed right now," he said. "We can't take any new patients."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/insurance-24-year-dies-toothache/story?id=14438171

luv
09-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Sitting here dozing off again. Sleep is good, but I don't wanna miss football...lol.

luv
09-25-2011, 11:19 AM

Even if I have to pay full price for the extraction, I have insurance that help cover meds. I'm okay in that regard.

O.city
09-25-2011, 11:22 AM
great. labs are neat. but I have a lot of confidence in the notion you have never had an abscess you had to nurse for a week without the help of a dentist.

No, I haven't. Got me on that one. Abscesses are a bitch tho I do know that from seeing other people who have.

4th and Long
09-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Even if I have to pay full price for the extraction, I have insurance that help cover meds. I'm okay in that regard.
That's a good thing. You don't want to become septic.

Chocolate Hog
09-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Dude that is very very rare and you don't know what other conditions the person had.

luv
09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Well, I now have one less tooth.

luv
09-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Now I just have to go pick up pain meds before numbness wears off. :D

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-26-2011, 02:11 PM

Well... you are from Missourah.

:D

Chiefnj2
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
You couldn't save it?

4th and Long
09-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Dude that is very very rare and you don't know what other conditions the person had.
Sepsis is not rare. I've been in health care for almost 20 years. We see septic patients all the time.

luv
You couldn't save it?

She said she probably could have, but it would have taken a root canal and a crown. It's the very back molar, so it's not like it's going to be noticed.

4th and Long
Now I just have to go pick up pain meds before numbness wears off. :D
Enjoy your Vicodin.

luv
09-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Enjoy your Vicodin.

Hydrocodone. That's the generic, right?

4th and Long
09-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Hydrocodone. That's the generic, right?
Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen is generic Vicodin, correct.

I called that one, didn't I? :D

tooge
09-26-2011, 02:34 PM
yeesh. I always love reading peoples "advice" to others with dental problems. O.city is pretty spot on here. Antibiotics and removal or root canal were the only things that were gonna help Luv out. Regarding sepsis, generally, sepsis isn't the big concern with tooth related abscesses. Rather, there is concern that the infection can spread down the fascial planes of the muscles in the head and neck and end up in the heart and or brain. I actually have treated this, and unless you like a month in the hospital with rubber drains hanging out of your neck and mouth being flushed out every two hours, I would advise getting these things treated with something other than Listerine.

notorious
09-26-2011, 02:42 PM
yeesh. I always love reading peoples "advice" to others with dental problems. O.city is pretty spot on here. Antibiotics and removal or root canal were the only things that were gonna help Luv out. Regarding sepsis, generally, sepsis isn't the big concern with tooth related abscesses. Rather, there is concern that the infection can spread down the fascial planes of the muscles in the head and neck and end up in the heart and or brain. I actually have treated this, and unless you like a month in the hospital with rubber drains hanging out of your neck and mouth being flushed out every two hours, I would advise getting these things treated with something other than Listerine.

Thank You.

luv
09-26-2011, 02:52 PM

My only worry now is not getting dry socket.

tooge
09-26-2011, 03:07 PM
I've been at this gig for 18 years. I'm yet to see a dry socket on an upper tooth. Having said that, it can happen. It's also very rare to see a dry socket in a non smoker. If you do what they tell you (no straws, no carbonated beverages, no alcohol or tobacco) for the first four days, you will be fine.

Ace Gunner
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM

the ****s the matter with you? when somebody is in pain, doesn't have reasonable access to a dentist then you have to improvise for a little bit.

SLAG
09-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Have you tried Vanilla - It seems to work well for most

Phobia
09-26-2011, 04:12 PM

When the other 31 have been removed go ahead and give me a call, mmkay?

Phobia
09-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Have you tried Vanilla - It seems to work well for most

I think he's married.

luv
09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
When the other 31 have been removed go ahead and give me a call, mmkay?

I'll keep that in mind, but only if your wife is invited.

Chocolate Hog
09-26-2011, 05:12 PM

What are the symptoms?

Ace Gunner
09-26-2011, 05:19 PM
I'll keep that in mind, but only if your wife is invited.

you just triggered the wet dream sequence PBJ