PDA

View Full Version : Football Irsay: Peyton Manning not expected back in 2011

Cave Johnson
09-26-2011, 10:52 AM
The Indianapolis Star reports that Colts owner Jim Irsay said on Monday morning that it is possible that QB Peyton Manning (neck) will practice in December, but that the team is looking at him coming back for the 2012 season and not in 2011. Manning has been sidelined this season after undergoing surgery to his neck on Sept. 8, his third procedure in 19 months. Irsay added via Twitter that the team intends to keep him on the active roster and will take it "month by month" given the "outside chance" of a return in December.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball

Chiefnj2
09-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I'd imagine his career is over. Hopefully we don't have a Favre like drama.

Sucky
09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Damn lets hope they win some games

CoMoChief
09-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Ya don't say?

Why would there be any reason for him too? They're not going to even be close to being in a playoff hunt..let him sit out and get 100% healthy. Letting him play hurts their draft pick and risks him getting injured if he's not fully recovered....no need to rush him back.

SLAG
09-26-2011, 10:59 AM
They had an MD on FOX NFL Sunday and he said if he was Mannings MD he would tell him to retire

JD10367
09-26-2011, 11:02 AM
While I have little sympathy for Indy's predicament (for obvious reasons, as a Patriots fan who watched Bernard Pollard ruin an entire season with one hit), and I have no love for The Forehead, I must admit that the league is weaker and less interesting without him in it, so while I won't break out the violins if he misses this year I hope he can come back next season and still put in a few more years of work.

KCChiefsFan88
09-26-2011, 11:02 AM
If Indy beats the Chiefs for Luck this will hurt worse than all those playoff losses to them combined.

Rain Man
09-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Ya don't say?

Why would there be any reason for him too? They're not going to even be close to being in a playoff hunt..let him sit out and get 100% healthy. Letting him play hurts their draft pick and risks him getting injured if he's not fully recovered....no need to rush him back.

Good points.

Of course, if I was Manning I'd be thinking either retirement or coming back only when I'm guaranteed at 100%. He's rich enough that there's no sense in facing a potential lifetime of pain by coming back too soon and getting hurt again.

notorious
09-26-2011, 11:29 AM
If Indy beats the Chiefs for Luck this will hurt worse than all those playoff losses to them combined.

Nope.

Not even fucking close.

lcarus
09-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Nope.

Not even ****ing close.

Especially considering in 1995 and 2003 seasons we had a legitimate shot of making deep playoff/possible Super Bowl runs.

notorious
09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Especially considering in 1995 and 2003 seasons we had a legitimate shot of making deep playoff/possible Super Bowl runs.

:(

It is/was a living hell.......

BigRichard
09-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know about his contract? I know he signed it but I read he would have had to of passed a physical to get that money. If he gets all the money and doesn't play another down he is a huge douche because from what I understand he knew his neck was a lot worse then what the organization knew about.

KC Tattoo
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
He should come back for the last two games of the season at least it would help out our Luck.

Amnorix
09-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Of course, if I was Manning I'd be thinking either retirement or coming back only when I'm guaranteed at 100%. He's rich enough that there's no sense in facing a potential lifetime of pain by coming back too soon and getting hurt again.

I agree with your points, but don't underestimate the incredible competitive drive it takes to be an elite player. That's why so many take a beating and yet reutrn, and it's also what makes it so hard for many of these guys to retire.

Jaric
09-26-2011, 12:26 PM
I agree with your points, but don't underestimate the incredible competitive drive it takes to be an elite player. That's why so many take a beating and yet reutrn, and it's also what makes it so hard for many of these guys to retire.

Which is precisely why I want him put on IR. Save him from himself.

Also, I'm going to appologize in advance to chief fans when we steal Andrew Luck from you. You deserve him far more than we do.

Rausch
09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
I'd like to say I'm not taking great pleasure in this but I am...

lcarus
09-26-2011, 12:44 PM
:(

It is/was a living hell.......

It will just make it that much sweeter when we finally win in the playoffs.

PunkinDrublic
09-26-2011, 12:50 PM
If the Colts get to go straight from Payton Manning to Andrew Luck can we just napalm Indy?

KCChiefsFan88
09-26-2011, 01:11 PM

In hindsight no.

Without a franchise QB it is virtually impossible unless you have a defense for ages (see the '85 Bears, '01 Ravens) to make a legit Super Bowl run.

Jaric
09-26-2011, 01:22 PM
If the Colts get to go straight from Payton Manning to Andrew Luck can we just napalm Indy?

I wouldn't blame you for wanting to.

58kcfan89
09-26-2011, 01:31 PM
I just can't see Peyton retiring because of an injury. I feel like he loves the game enough to try to give it one last shot and hopefully going out on his own terms. Then again, it's a neck injury, which is nothing to fuck around with.

I'd love to see him come back for the last few games & help them win a meaningless game or 2 (if we even need it...), but that seems to be pretty unlikely at this point.

King_Chief_Fan
09-26-2011, 03:07 PM
The Indianapolis Star reports that Colts owner Jim Irsay said on Monday morning that it is possible that QB Peyton Manning (neck) will practice in December, but that the team is looking at him coming back for the 2012 season and not in 2011. Manning has been sidelined this season after undergoing surgery to his neck on Sept. 8, his third procedure in 19 months. Irsay added via Twitter that the team intends to keep him on the active roster and will take it "month by month" given the "outside chance" of a return in December.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball

and they win the LUck sweepstakes putting the let's lose losers in a deep tail spin.

the Talking Can
09-26-2011, 03:08 PM
he's never going to play again

ForeverChiefs58
09-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Nooooooooo! Damn them colts

Colts face more QB questions after another loss

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Peyton Manning(notes) is out, Kerry Collins(notes) is hurt and Curtis Painter(notes) isn’t sure if he’ll be starting next week.

It’s just another messy Monday in Indianapolis.

Less than 13 hours after a third straight loss, the Colts’ quarterback carousel spun wildly—team officials denied a report Manning was lost for the season, declined to say whether Collins had suffered a concussion and sidestepped the issue of adding another quarterback to the roster.

“It just depends on the situation and we’ll address it as we go,” coach Jim Caldwell said. “We have to look at all the possibilities, and it’s our job to cover all those bases.”

Many are wondering just how much can be covered this week.

Manning is expected to miss at least five more weeks and perhaps the season after having neck surgery Sept. 8, his third in 19 months.

Collins didn’t talk to reporters Monday because he was receiving injury treatment. Caldwell said Collins was forced out of Sunday night’s game because of concussion-like symptoms and that he was still being evaluated. Collins also missed practice time last week with a sore throwing shoulder.

Colts vice chairman Bill Polian told radio listeners Monday night that Collins was “feeling better today than he was yesterday” with a decision expected later this week.

“He has to go through a workout protocol, and we will know more later in the week,” Polian said.

The only other quarterback on the Colts’ active roster is Painter, the tough-luck backup who led the Colts to their most meaningful touchdown drive of the season Sunday night. Painter is still waiting to hear whether he will make his first career start next Monday at Tampa Bay.

“I’m not sure,” he said. “I’m sure we’ll find out more in the next couple of days.”

Collins’ injury status isn’t the only concern at the team complex.

Last week, fed-up fans started lobbying for Painter to replace Collins. On Monday, those calls picked up steam.

Collins has completed 49 percent of his passes, averaging less than 5 yards per attempt. He’s thrown two TDs, one interception, lost three fumbles and been sacked five times and, at times, looked absolutely dreadful.

During a second-half stretch in the Week 2 loss to Cleveland, Collins threw 10 straight incompletions and was 3 of 9 in the third quarter Sunday before leaving.

Painter went 5 of 11 for 60 yards with one sack, one lost fumble but produced Indy’s only TD drive of the game. It was his first regular-season action since the end of 2009.

After Sunday’s game, Caldwell said he and his staff would evaluate the play of both quarterbacks, and not just because of Collins’ health.

“We will look at all the other factors as well. All of them,” Caldwell said Sunday night.

Of course, the first full-blown quarterback controversy in Indy since Manning’s arrival wouldn’t be complete without an update on the four-time league MVP.

Team owner Jim Irsay reportedly told attendees at a private breakfast with Super Bowl donors Monday morning that Manning would miss the rest of the season.

A few hours later, Irsay wrote this on Twitter: “I didn’t say Peyton out 4season FOR SURE,keeping him on ActiveRoster n taking it month by month/Outside chance of return n December possible.”

That’s essentially what the Colts have been saying for the past 3 1/2 weeks.

Caldwell’s response: “The only thing I know is what was stated on Sept. 8 when we released the last statement. I think that stands, and I think our owner clarified his position with his last tweet.”

Some fans are already pleading for the Colts to bring in new quarterbacks.

The most obvious names are Brett Favre(notes), David Garrard(notes) and Carson Palmer(notes).

Favre, who turns 42 next month, struggled last season with the Vikings and has shown no indication he’ll be making another NFL comeback.

Garrard’s agent, Al Irby, said in an email to The Associated Press that Indy has not contacted him, and the price to get Palmer, presumably a first or second-round pick, may be too much for the Colts.

Besides, it might not even help.

“You’ve got to be realistic about it,” Colts vice chairman Bill Polian said last week. “You have to be tough-minded, you have to be thick-skinned and you have to be as realistic as you can be. Nobody can operate the offense the way Peyton can.”

Perhaps that’s why some of the fans writing off this season are already lobbying to choose Manning’s successor.

They want the Colts to throw away the season and use the No. 1 draft pick on Stanford’s Andrew Luck—not a popular thought in the locker room.

“This is not where this team expected to be after three games, 0-3,” Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday(notes) said. “It’s unacceptable and we’ve got to get a win.”

And Manning may still be able to help break the losing streak.

“He’s a resource for us. He’s been around this system for a long time, and I don’t think you’re very smart if you don’t use it,” Caldwell said. We don’t care whose idea it is. We use everything we possibly can.”

listopencil
09-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Painter looked pretty damn good on his lone TD drive. He was facing enormous pressure and delivered. It's not like the guy is a rookie, he just hasn't had any significant playing time. I'd like to see what he can do.

Chiefshrink
09-26-2011, 11:19 PM
I just can't see Peyton retiring because of an injury.

I could especially if we are talking about bulging discs in the neck area that if hit right could paralyze you regardless if surgery was successful.

IMO, I think the decision has already been made and Manning will never play again and he is just putting it off retirement until the end of the season for the sake of the team.

Guru
09-26-2011, 11:36 PM

NOt really, but it does seem par for the course.

jAZ
09-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Payton Manning should get MVP this season. It's stunning how much he means to that team. Just ridiculous.

BCD
09-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Payton Manning should get MVP this season. It's stunning how much he means to that team. Just ridiculous.

Just proves how important the QB position is.

CoMoChief
09-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Good points.

True, but guys like him have huge egos in their respected fields, he's a competitor....if he was thinking about retirement I don't think he'd be hanging around the team like he is now.

ForeverChiefs58
09-27-2011, 09:19 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G1hEtjaZFgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sucky
09-27-2011, 10:05 AM

good point. Just crazy how awful they are without him. its actually sorta funny tooLMAO