PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Luck needs to focus on the Cardinal, not the NFL

shitgoose
09-27-2011, 10:14 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15644430/luck-needs-to-focus-on-the-cardinal-not-the-nfl

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- This dateline could be Seattle or Miami. The convergence of an NFL/college phenomenon just happens to be here, home of the Kansas City Chiefs.

They're bad. At 0-3, until a respectable showing Sunday against San Diego, they yelp out loud bad. The reasons don't really matter. It's how the Twitterverse has reacted to bad football in places like here, Seattle, Miami and San Francisco.

Twitter has put a social networkian face to the frustration. If you don't follow @SuckForLuck on Twitter you should for entertainment value alone. It has become a topic for sports-talk radio not only here but around the country.

A 5-11 or 6-10 season does nothing positive for the chiefs.....punt the season go 1-15 and @suckforluck SLJones913 tweeted on Sunday.

The "suck" refers to the perceived race by some NFL teams to be as bad as can be, despite the season being only three weeks old. Desperation sets in easy when you're the Chiefs, having been outscored 109-27 in those three losses to open the season. It's not only Twitter that has decided that it is in some team's best interest, even this early, to snag the NFL's No. 1 draft choice.

The "Luck" is Andrew Luck, the Stanford quarterback who has done nothing to diminish his chances of being that No. 1 pick. The Cardinal's redshirt junior surprisingly came back for a fourth season after leading Stanford to a 12-win season and finishing as the Heisman runner-up.

With the college regular season one-quarter complete, Luck has not only solidified himself as the Heisman favorite but also become some kind of NFL Moses for 2012. Bright, young, highly-drafted quarterbacks fix downtrodden pro franchises. Luck could be some lucky team's fixer next season.

"I think the Chiefs want a quarterback bad," said Bob Fescoe, a morning sports-talk host here on KCSP 610-AM. "He's the one that they want."

That's where we come to a crossroads of that NFL/college argument. Is it really worth it for fans to hope their team tanks to get a player like Luck?

"I don't know if it's the vocal minority or vocal majority," Fescoe said. "But everywhere I go, [it's] 'We just tank and get Luck.' I'm not ready to tank. I think a lot of fans have their minds made up."

As a collegian, Luck is arguably the game's best player, a sturdy, rocket-armed specimen whose only historic peer at Stanford may be John Elway.

As a pro, he is "The Next Big Thing." And that bothers some people. His coach, for one.

"I think it's annoying, it's a distraction. Not to Andrew, it's a distraction to the NFL teams," said David Shaw who spent five seasons as an NFL assistant. "You're fighting and scraping in the NFL. The last thing you want to worry about is the college draft."

Shaw has lived in both worlds. As an assistant with the Raiders from 1998-2001, he experienced his share of quarterback issues.

"I've been in those situations before when you're have a rough year in the NFL, that's the last thing you want to think about," Shaw said. "You want to think about salvaging your season, making moves to make yourself a better team."

As a college coach, he doesn't want social networks distracting from a great player in the middle of a great season. Does Luck hear the NFL chatter? He certainly heard it when he decided to go against form and return for another season.

"I'm sure he does," Shaw said. "The best thing about it is, he lets it roll off his back.

"He hasn't changed. He is ultra competitive. He runs the huddle when he's in there.

Doesn't Luck deserve some sort of asylum from the racket barking at him from the future? He has lost his coach, Jim Harbaugh, and several key contributors from 2011. If anything Stanford has become better. Following a bye week, the Cardinal play UCLA on Saturday.

Before he becomes the centerpiece of some rebuilding NFL franchise, he already is the centerpiece of what is becoming an unlikely Stanford national championship run.

Elway never even played in a bowl game. Luck is 23-5 as a starter chasing a second consecutive BCS bowl. The Cardinal's future is laid out in front of it. It has one currently ranked team, Oregon, left on its schedule.

A Stanford championship would be the perfect antidote to an ethical sickness that has infected the sport. For a fleeting moment at least, it would show that the highest level of academics can mix with the highest level of athletics.

Duke has done it in basketball. Football, not so much.

In other words, can we just keep Luck to ourselves for a few more months?

We are a society living moment to moment. Twitter and its cyber-pals have given a voice to those who maybe shouldn't have one. Suck for Luck? A few months ago Kansas City's Matt Cassel was wrapping up a Pro Bowl season during which he threw 27 touchdowns along with only seven interceptions.

This season he and the team are struggling. Never mind that the offseason was mismanaged and injuries have hit hard.

This is what Andrew Luck would inherit here. Right now, that is what sucks.

Count Alex's Losses
09-27-2011, 10:19 AM
It's destiny.

Sofa King
09-27-2011, 10:25 AM
"This is what Andrew Luck would inherit here. Right now, that is what sucks."

No. What Luck would inherit is a team with a pile of returning stars and no Matt Cassel.

That most certainly does not suck.

Pants
09-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Dennis Dodd - another uninformed asshole. FUCK YOU, DENNIS!

SNR
09-27-2011, 10:32 AM
QUICK SOMEBODY TELL ANDREW LUCK TO KEEP PLAYING AT A HIGH LEVEL IN COLLEGE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!

Fucking dumbass.

Dicky McElephant
09-27-2011, 10:33 AM

No. What Luck would inherit is a team with a pile of returning stars and no Matt Cassel.

This is honestly the best case scenario for Luck.

He gets an offense that is full of talent: Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, Charles, McClain, McCluster.

He gets an offensive line that is a RT away from being good: Albert, Asamoah, Hudson, Lilja, Gaither.

And he gets a top 15 defense.

Dicky McElephant
09-27-2011, 10:34 AM
And honestly.....say a team like the Panthers get the #1 pick. The Chiefs should give up the farm to move up for Luck.

Predarat
09-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Didn't they trade for Kevin Kolb? Why would they want Luck?

Buckweath
09-27-2011, 10:44 AM
And honestly.....say a team like the Panthers get the #1 pick. The Chiefs should give up the farm to move up for Luck.

If the Panthers are bad enough with Cam Newton at QB to finish with the worst record, they are very likely to draft Luck IMO and trade Newton for the best offer.

Really I think the only chance the Chiefs get Luck is if they draft first, and that's very unlikely IMO but another elite QB prospect would be fine too.

RUSH
09-27-2011, 10:45 AM
what a dumb article.

Detoxing
09-27-2011, 10:49 AM
If the Panthers are bad enough with Cam Newton at QB to finish with the worst record, they are very likely to draft Luck IMO and trade Newton for the best offer.

Really I think the only chance the Chiefs get Luck is if they draft first, and that's very unlikely IMO but another elite QB prospect would be fine too.

They wouldn't draft Luck. That's retarded. Newton has shown all kinds of promise and upside, more so than anyone would've expected in his first 3 weeks.

Sofa King
09-27-2011, 10:52 AM

lol. Come on mang.

philfree
09-27-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm really tired of people saying Cassel had a Pro Bowl season. He was like a 2nd or 3rd alternate. The only reason he played in the Pro Bowl is because the real Pro Bowlers played in the SB or they opted out because of injury status.

Rooster
09-27-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm really tired of people saying Cassel had a Pro Bowl season. He was like a 2nd or 3rd alternate. The only reason he played in the Pro Bowl is because the real Pro Bowlers played in the SB or they opted out because of injury status.

This.. There is a big difference between going to the Pro Bowl and being an All Pro.

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
They wouldn't draft Luck. That's retarded. Newton has shown all kinds of promise and upside, more so than anyone would've expected in his first 3 weeks.

Never listen to a Canadian, especially when it comes to football. They have no clue what they're talking aboot.

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2011, 11:04 AM

I agree. To be fair, Eric Berry was an alternate too. But, one clearly is not like the other.

Buckweath
09-27-2011, 11:06 AM

I haven't looked at their schedule but I meant to say the Panthers are unlikely to draft 1st overall if Newton keeps showing promise and playing good. If they draft 1st overall, it's probably because Newton overall won't have had a really good season.

BigRock
09-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Cassel was the first alternate. The 3 in were Brady, Rivers, and Manning. Brady didn't go. Cassel got in. The 3 who played were Rivers, Manning, and Cassel.

Bane
09-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Saw Luck in Best Buy.He says if KC drafts him he'll sell insurance.

Dicky McElephant
09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I haven't looked at their schedule but I meant to say the Panthers are unlikely to draft 1st overall if Newton keeps showing promise and playing good. If they draft 1st overall, it's probably because Newton overall won't have had a really good season.

Yeah...because teams give up on #1 overall picks after one season. :rolleyes:

Reerun_KC
09-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Well CP does... I guess they just expect others to be just as dick jerk as this group is...

BigRichard
09-27-2011, 11:21 AM

:facepalm:

HemiEd
09-27-2011, 12:05 PM

I hate to break it to you, and don't shoot the messenger, but as a Chief's fan you know what is going to happen.

Indy is going to win the "SFL" campaign, and the Chiefs are going to trade at least one first, maybe two first, for a broken down Peyton Manning. The good news, he gets the team a playoff win, before retiring.

Sound familiar?

Sorry, but you know that is what is going to happen.

Dicky McElephant
09-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Well CP does... I guess they just expect others to be just as dick jerk as this group is...

You and Laz hang out offline....don't you?

Pants
09-27-2011, 12:09 PM
I hate to break it to you, and don't shoot the messenger, but as a Chief's fan you know what is going to happen.

Indy is going to win the "SFL" campaign, and the Chiefs are going to trade at least one first, maybe two first, for a broken down Peyton Manning. The good news, he gets the team a playoff win, before retiring.

Sound familiar?

LMAO

That would be so us.

Buckweath
09-27-2011, 12:16 PM

Are you stupid or what? If you feel like this once in a decade QB prospect is more likely to become a top notch QB you just go and take him and trade the lesser Newton... Qb is by far the most important position in football.

Really it's simple, of course if Newton has a really good rookie season they won't draft Luck but in the end if he is just average and they think Luck is definitly the next Peyton Manning, either they receive a massive offer or they just draft him.

Personnally if Cam Newton was on this Chiefs team and we still got the 1st overall pick, I'd probably draft Luck and trade Newton for the best offer and I'm pretty sure other Chiefs fans would do the same.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Cassel was the first alternate. The 3 in were Brady, Rivers, and Manning. Brady didn't go. Cassel got in. The 3 who played were Rivers, Manning, and Cassel.

I could have sworn Garrard was ahead of Cassel and didn't go too...

:shrug:

Buckweath
09-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Never listen to a Canadian, especially when it comes to football. They have no clue what they're talking aboot.

:clap:

Okie_Apparition
09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
The rookie salary cap changes everything. If you really think he's all that, you draft him anyway.

brett
09-27-2011, 12:29 PM
luck is just a douche now

HemiEd
09-27-2011, 12:50 PM
LMAO

That would be so us.

yeah, ever since this SFL stuff started, I have been thinking this.

We went through the Joe Montana trade, and a lot of things are similar.

This is one time I hope history does not repeat itself.

Okie_Apparition
09-27-2011, 12:51 PM
IF anybody could pull off the trade it would be Belichick. They probably have a couple 1st rounders laying around. He'd also trade Brady without blinking if he thought it would help him win

Josh Lewin the Jew
09-27-2011, 02:44 PM
20-17 ROFL

Reerun_KC
09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
You and Laz hang out offline....don't you?

About as much as you and GoChiefs hang out naked in his parents basement...

Oh Snap
09-27-2011, 04:08 PM

Cassel did have a great year last year. There is no denying that. 27 TDs and 6 Ints? Pretty good, the problem is, it was against crappy teams. If tom brady or Peyton manning have that type of schedule, they probably go into the record books. But Cassel did play well, phenomenal even at times. Last year is old news though. What can/has he done for us now against stiffer competition?

We all saw just how good Cassel was once we got into the playoffs against a proven team like the ravens. Sadly, that is the type of QB that cassel is. Adequate game time manager, but lousy come from behind winner. We saw just how far Cassel will take us. And it isnt past the first round. 3-and-outs are all to common. His throws usually go for 2-3 yards, especially when we're needing at least 10 to continue on downs. Many of his throws are wild and off the mark. Perhaps lack of depth is the issue, or the fact that we have had 3 different OCs in the past 3 years. Maybe a combo of all those things.

One thing is for certain, if we get the first overall pick, we better get luck...none of this trading down shit either! Pioli and Clark better not fuck this up if it comes down to it.

lcarus
09-27-2011, 04:20 PM
This.. There is a big difference between going to the Pro Bowl and being an All Pro.

True, but that said, he was decent at times last season. Charlie Weis really looks like an offensive Jesus at this point.

Reerun_KC
09-27-2011, 04:25 PM

There are 5-6 All Pro Qb's in the league then there is everyone else...

Its a HUGE fucking gap between those 6 and the rest of the league...

Ugly Duck
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
In other words, can we just keep Luck to ourselves for a few more months?

A little too late for that I reckon.....

whoman69
09-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Cassel did have a great year last year. There is no denying that. 27 TDs and 6 Ints? Pretty good, the problem is, it was against crappy teams. If tom brady or Peyton manning have that type of schedule, they probably go into the record books. But Cassel did play well, phenomenal even at times. Last year is old news though. What can/has he done for us now against stiffer competition?

We all saw just how good Cassel was once we got into the playoffs against a proven team like the ravens. Sadly, that is the type of QB that cassel is. Adequate game time manager, but lousy come from behind winner. We saw just how far Cassel will take us. And it isnt past the first round. 3-and-outs are all to common. His throws usually go for 2-3 yards, especially when we're needing at least 10 to continue on downs. Many of his throws are wild and off the mark. Perhaps lack of depth is the issue, or the fact that we have had 3 different OCs in the past 3 years. Maybe a combo of all those things.

One thing is for certain, if we get the first overall pick, we better get luck...none of this trading down shit either! Pioli and Clark better not **** this up if it comes down to it.

You want to call it a great year, I'll differ. He did many things better than he did this year, mostly turning the ball over and taking advantage of his opportunities. The Chiefs ranked 30th in pass yardage last year. He was ranked 8th in passer rating, and amongst league leaders in TDs and Int % only. No way you can call that a great year for a QB. I'd put it on par with Steve DeBerg in 1990 who threw for more yards in a less pass happy league on less attempts.

Check Down is a game manager who is not managing the game well right now. He is making poor decisions, cannot move the team, cannot go through his progressions and is adequate at best.

I truly think Pioli and probably Hunt would be run out of town if the Chiefs get the first pick and do not take Luck.

Chiefaholic
09-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Wouldn't it be our "luck" that we endure a terrible season, get the #1 pick, and Luck pulls an Eli Manning and refuses to play for KC.

Pants
09-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Wouldn't it be our "luck" that we endure a terrible season, get the #1 pick, and Luck pulls an Eli Manning and refuses to play for KC.

He's not a bitch like that.

Hydrae
09-27-2011, 07:24 PM

More like an Elway (same result).

Nightfyre
09-27-2011, 10:15 PM
I think we should put draftplanet back on the front page!

/troll.

NJChiefsFan
09-27-2011, 10:58 PM

Agreed. Its almost a pefect storm as far as this angle of thinking goes. With the injuries and crazy season so far, it has put the team in a position for Luck. Honestly though, aside from QB, Tackle, and NT, the team has potential at almost all other positions give or take.

They just suck at the 3 positions needed to win. Getting Luck would potentially cure the biggest one, and they have enough money to atleast fix one more. Getting a RT after round 1 is almost the way its supposed to happen anyway.

Guru
09-27-2011, 11:24 PM
There are 5-6 All Pro Qb's in the league then there is everyone else...

Its a HUGE ****ing gap between those 6 and the rest of the league...

Somebody was listening to 610 this morning.

listopencil
09-28-2011, 02:10 AM
I'm having a vision . It's from the future, I think it's a sports headline from ESPN. It says "KC trades #1 pick for QB Painter, Colts." And then somehow "Colts Draft Luck".

Rausch
09-28-2011, 02:11 AM
I'm having a vision . It's from the future, I think it's a sports headline from ESPN. It says "KC trades #1 pick for QB Painter, Colts." And then somehow "Colts Draft Luck".

LMAO

mikey23545
09-28-2011, 07:23 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15644430/luck-needs-to-focus-on-the-cardinal-not-the-nfl

Twitter and its cyber-pals have given a voice to those who maybe shouldn't have one.

Amen.

Reerun_KC
09-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Somebody was listening to 610 this morning.

:huh: Actually was in meetings all day yesterday...

Should be rephrased though... 610 browsing CP for material for radio show...

HemiEd
03-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Sound familiar?

Well at least it looks like the Chiefs won't have to spend their picks to get him now. :D