PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Kindle Fire

WV
09-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Anyone excited for this? I'm going to read up more on it, but at first glance it looks intriguing for the $$.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Color-Multi-touch-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=tsm_1_fb_s_amzn_ls8p73

Bowser
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
First thought was that your Kindle caught on fire, heh.

Wondered how long it would take Kindle to get into the tablet craze.

Bewbies
09-28-2011, 10:11 AM
This is probably the android tablet that folks have been waiting on to take a huge chunk of iPad sales. Even though they aren't direct competitors.

Deberg_1990
09-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Its not as good as the IPad, but its priced right to compete. Should be an interesting battle between Amazon and Apple.

Pants
09-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I want Microsoft's Windows 8 tablet, dammit.

Pawnmower
09-28-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm getting one for my wife for her birthday in December...I'm pretty stoked to check it out.

unlimited Storage in your Amazon cloud.....Silk browser.....yahhhhhh

Bewbies
09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Its not as good as the IPad, but its priced right to compete. Should be an interesting battle between Amazon and Apple.

You could by 2 Fire's and 1 Kindle Touch and still have money leftover for the price of the cheapest iPad. Heck, the Fire is cheaper than my iPod touch.

No doubt the iPad is better, the interesting question is if it is 2.5 times better.

Deberg_1990
09-28-2011, 10:46 AM
No doubt the iPad is better, the interesting question is if it is 2.5 times better.

We are about to find out. If the Fire dips into IPad sales, Apple will lower the price, or they might do it before hand. Who knows?

mnchiefsguy
09-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I think I will considering getting one of these. I love my Kindle, but reading pdf files is tough, so I was considering saving up and getting the DX. The Fire is bigger than the Kindle 3G, so pdfs would look better, plus the color resolution would help with that as well.

mnchiefsguy
09-28-2011, 10:52 AM
You could by 2 Fire's and 1 Kindle Touch and still have money leftover for the price of the cheapest iPad. Heck, the Fire is cheaper than my iPod touch.

That is the hundred of millions of dollars question for apple and amazon. Will be interesting to see how this effects Ipad sales this Christmas, and to see whether Apple will attempt a preemptive strike by lowering the price on their bottom end Ipads.

mnchiefsguy
09-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Also just read that you can get library books now on your Kindle. Mid-Continent Libraries here in KC are participating, so that is very cool.

the Talking Can
09-28-2011, 12:27 PM
if it had a camera, so i could skype, it would be perfect....

The Rick
09-28-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm very intrigued by this, and that's coming from a happy iPad 2 owner. Especially at that price point. I'm a big fan of all things Apple, but one thing Amazon has figured out better than anyone is content and content delivery. This product is clearly designed as a portal to that and it looks like very effective one.

In addition, the new $99 Kindle Touch looks awesome. Thinking about picking one up for the wife for Christmas.

icepick64
09-28-2011, 12:44 PM
i already preordered one, because I just see this being a holiday hit, and being able to ebay it for a profit, or just keeping it.

Fish
09-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Wow. I like this.

Will it do other streaming sources like Netflix? Cause Amazon's selection of movies and TV really really sucks.

DaFace
09-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Wow. I like this.

Will it do other streaming sources like Netflix? Cause Amazon's selection of movies and TV really really sucks.

I would assume so given that it runs normal Android apps. The only question is how much tweaking it takes to get around Amazon's App Store.

WV
09-28-2011, 01:28 PM
i already preordered one, because I just see this being a holiday hit, and being able to ebay it for a profit, or just keeping it.

I did to just to make sure I can get one if I want one....thought I could return it if I researched more and found I didn't want it, but your angle may be better! :thumb:

Deberg_1990
09-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Cause Amazon's selection of movies and TV really really sucks.

I guess i dont know what you mean by this? Amazon has more because they have all the new releases. Of course, they are not Subscription based like Netflix, but are VOD like ITunes, Vudu, PS3 network, etc...

Fish
09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
I guess i dont know what you mean by this? Amazon has more because they have all the new releases. Of course, they are not Subscription based like Netflix, but are VOD like ITunes, Vudu, PS3 network, etc...

Actually they have both. They have a Free selection of media, and ones for "rent". What I meant was that the selection of free ones are awful. And the ones for rent are too expensive.

Guru
09-28-2011, 02:42 PM
8gb storage on the unit? Wtf
display is too small as well

DaFace
09-28-2011, 03:06 PM
8gb storage on the unit? Wtf
display is too small as well

It's meant to be a new Kindle - not an Android tablet per se.

Guru
09-28-2011, 03:15 PM
It's meant to be a new Kindle - not an Android tablet per se.

If it is going to be designed to do video and music it should at least come with the standard 16gb like every other tablet out there today. That costs all of about 8 whole bucks.

WV
09-28-2011, 03:18 PM
If it is going to be designed to do video and music it should at least come with the standard 16gb like every other tablet out there today. That costs all of about 8 whole bucks.

From the Amazon perspective they are giving you unlimited cloud storage, so the 8GB is supposed to be more palatable.

Guru
09-28-2011, 03:24 PM
From the Amazon perspective they are giving you unlimited cloud storage, so the 8GB is supposed to be more palatable.

bandwidth limits make cloud storage much less attractive. There is absolutely zero reason to not put 16gb of storage on a tablet. NONE.

Mr. Laz
09-28-2011, 03:26 PM
too small
memory/storage not upgradeable

WV
09-28-2011, 03:27 PM
bandwidth limits make cloud storage much less attractive. There is absolutely zero reason to not put 16gb of storage on a tablet. NONE.

It would take an awful lot of streaming to reach my cable companies bandwidth limit.

Cave Johnson
09-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Better resolution than the iPad 2.... this looks pretty badass.

http://gizmodo.com/5844742/video-of-the-amazon-kindle-fire-in-action-up-close

Guru
09-28-2011, 03:35 PM
It would take an awful lot of streaming to reach my cable companies bandwidth limit.

50gb here. doesn't change the fact that the extra 8gb of storage is dirt cheap.

Guru
09-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Better resolution than the iPad 2.... this looks pretty badass.

http://gizmodo.com/5844742/video-of-the-amazon-kindle-fire-in-action-up-close

I don't see where that video says anything about resolution being better than ipad.

Cave Johnson
09-28-2011, 03:42 PM
50gb here. doesn't change the fact that the extra 8gb of storage is dirt cheap.

Gotta cut features to hit the $200 price point.

I don't see where that video says anything about resolution being better than ipad.

"The resolution is pretty dense: 169 pixels per inch. It's not comparable to the 326 pixels per inch of the small iPhone 4's display, but it's better than the iPad's 132 pixels per inch."

http://gizmodo.com/5844623/this-is-the-new-amazon-kindle-fire-color-tabletand-its-only-199-updated-with-impressions

Guru
09-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Gotta cut features to hit the $200 price point.

"The resolution is pretty dense: 169 pixels per inch. It's not comparable to the 326 pixels per inch of the small iPhone 4's display, but it's better than the iPad's 132 pixels per inch."

http://gizmodo.com/5844623/this-is-the-new-amazon-kindle-fire-color-tabletand-its-only-199-updated-with-impressions
We are talking beans for 8gb of storage. I wouldn't have cared less if it was 209 just to get that extra storage.

I'll take your word for it on the display.

Doesn't matter. I am perfectly happy with my HP touchpad. Now I just need to sell my Gtablet

DaFace
09-28-2011, 04:16 PM
We are talking beans for 8gb of storage. I wouldn't have cared less if it was 209 just to get that extra storage.

I'll take your word for it on the display.

Doesn't matter. I am perfectly happy with my HP touchpad. Now I just need to sell my Gtablet

I don't know about "beans." Even a cheapo 8GB SD card will run you $10 each, and that's 5% of this thing's cost. It doesn't sound like much, but every little bit counts, and they clearly aren't aiming it at users like you.

Deberg_1990
09-28-2011, 04:20 PM
they clearly aren't aiming it at users like you.

Exactly.

dirk digler
09-28-2011, 04:38 PM

Totally agree. It is tempting to buy one but I think I will wait for V2.0

vailpass
09-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Just reserved one, tried to reserve 3 but it wouldn't let me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

DaFace
09-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I have to admit, this thing has me intrigued. I still have my mind set on springing for an EeePad Transformer, but the idea of having something so incredibly streamlined for media consumption is pretty attractive. If I can make sure that they won't try and limit the apps you can have for it, I don't think I'll be able to resist that price tag.

dirk digler
09-28-2011, 05:11 PM
I have to admit, this thing has me intrigued. I still have my mind set on springing for an EeePad Transformer, but the idea of having something so incredibly streamlined for media consumption is pretty attractive. If I can make sure that they won't try and limit the apps you can have for it, I don't think I'll be able to resist that price tag.

From what I have read no Android Market just Amazon Market.

DaFace
09-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Yeah, I know they're centering it around Amazon App Store. The question is really just whether it's (somewhat easily) possible to get around that. For example, you have to tweak things a bit to get the Amazon App Store running on normal Android, but you can do it (without rooting or anything).

Basically, I like the concept here, but the thing I love about the AndroidOS is how open it is. I wouldn't be a fan of the Fire if they've got it completely locked down.

Fish
09-28-2011, 05:32 PM

Root that sumbitch!

WV
09-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I know they're centering it around Amazon App Store. The question is really just whether it's (somewhat easily) possible to get around that. For example, you have to tweak things a bit to get the Amazon App Store running on normal Android, but you can do it (without rooting or anything).

Basically, I like the concept here, but the thing I love about the AndroidOS is how open it is. I wouldn't be a fan of the Fire if they've got it completely locked down.

Just curious, but what wouldn't be available in Amazons App store that you would be looking for?

DaFace
09-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Just curious, but what wouldn't be available in Amazons App store that you would be looking for?

Netflix for one, but there are FAR fewer apps on the Amazon store than in the Market.
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief
09-28-2011, 06:46 PM
For everyone bitching about storage... this tablet has a HUGE advantage over even the largest ipad... it has a working USB port... so you can carry as much storage as your little heart desires.

dirk digler
09-28-2011, 07:24 PM

They are being pretty coy about the app market...

Still another issue beyond the comparatively limited app selection: Amazon again gave mixed answers regarding compatibility between the Kindle Fire and the greater universe of Android apps. One spokesperson said that apps that called for features that aren't on the tablet (such as a camera) wouldn't work; another said outright that the company would be curating apps; and still another, when asked about app compatibility, mentioned that apps would have to be qualified to work, and that some might not work with the Kindle Fire.

dirk digler
09-28-2011, 07:29 PM
For everyone bitching about storage... this tablet has a HUGE advantage over even the largest ipad... it has a working USB port... so you can carry as much storage as your little heart desires.

I don't think you can plug in for example a USB storage device to have extra storage...

- It has a dock connector and mounts on any desktop as a standard USB mass storage device, like all previous Kindles. So you can sideload content onto it just by dragging files in.

- No Bluetooth and no support for USB accessories

AustinChief
09-28-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't think you can plug in for example a USB storage device to have extra storage...

It depends entirely on what customizations Amazon did to the OS... AND if they upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich when it comes out, then I find it hard to believe the USB port won't be fully functional.

Guru
09-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Basically, I like the concept here, but the thing I love about the AndroidOS is how open it is. I wouldn't be a fan of the Fire if they've got it completely locked down.That is the other thing I would be worried about here. Plus, I want to know exactly WHAT video files it will support.

micro SD slot would have been better and more efficient.

Fish
09-28-2011, 07:44 PM

If it sells reasonably well, all of that will likely be resolved by a rooting method. If that port is there, they'll figure out how to make it work despite what Amazon officially says..

AustinChief
09-28-2011, 07:50 PM
micro SD slot would have been better and more efficient.

Not really, the microUSB slot is far far far more useful. Not too easy to connect to a PC via an SD card slot...

AustinChief
09-28-2011, 07:51 PM
If it sells reasonably well, all of that will likely be resolved by a rooting method. If that port is there, they'll figure out how to make it work despite what Amazon officially says..

And with Ice Cream, Google will go back to releasing all the source code. (or so they say)

dirk digler
09-28-2011, 07:58 PM
It depends entirely on what customizations Amazon did to the OS... AND if they upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich when it comes out, then I find it hard to believe the USB port won't be fully functional.

You might be right but the way I see them marketing the Fire to me this is a cloud device so little need for local storage.

True but then again most consumers don't root their devices

WV
09-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Plus, I want to know exactly WHAT video files it will support.
Content Formats Supported Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8.

Fish
09-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Content Formats Supported Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8.

Rooting also makes additional formats available...

DaFace
09-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Rooting also makes additional formats available...

Yeah, I have no doubt that this thing will be rooted with a full Android ROM available VERY soon after it's released.

Fish
09-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I have no doubt that this thing will be rooted with a full Android ROM available VERY soon after it's released.

Yup. Which would make it pretty bad ass. It's pretty much a guarantee, that if it has the potential to be popular and stay in the market a while, it will be supported better by the user community than by the manufacturer itself. Which is an evolution of tech usage that makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

Guru
09-28-2011, 11:36 PM

Kills me that they never include support for the most popular video format out there. AVI DIVX XVID MKV

Pitt Gorilla
09-28-2011, 11:49 PM
I was reading a pretty good review of the Fire, and then they noted that it doesn't include 3G. That's really a deal-breaker, IMO.

vailpass
09-29-2011, 10:56 AM
I was reading a pretty good review of the Fire, and then they noted that it doesn't include 3G. That's really a deal-breaker, IMO.

Why in god's name would it not have 3G? What does it have?

Mr. Laz
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Why in god's name would it not have 3G? What does it have?

WiFi only

vailpass
09-29-2011, 11:02 AM
WiFi only

I'm not near as savvy as some here regarding tech specs. This seems absolutely ridiculous to me to the point where instead of ordering 3 of these I'm considering cancelling altogether.

Does 3G cost so much to include that it would have pushed the Fire above the desired price point?

Deberg_1990
09-29-2011, 11:14 AM
heh, this thing is $300 cheaper than the IPad, and people want to complain about the lack of features????? Of course its not going to offer as much as higher priced tablets.

vailpass
09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
heh, this thing is $300 cheaper than the IPad, and people want to complain about the lack of features????? Of course its not going to offer as much as higher priced tablets.

Yep. The price point is kid friendly. From what I can tell by reading, the Fire is a portal for Amazon apps, books and entertainment products first and foremost. Not really a competitor with IPad but a different product for a different audience.

DaFace
09-29-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm not near as savvy as some here regarding tech specs. This seems absolutely ridiculous to me to the point where instead of ordering 3 of these I'm considering cancelling altogether.

Does 3G cost so much to include that it would have pushed the Fire above the desired price point?

The "normal" Kindle's have 3G included for free, as it doesn't take much data to download a book. However, this thing has a full-blown web browser and can stream video. That kind of data doesn't come for free.

Because of that, they basically have a choice of making it WiFi only or making it so that you have to have a subscription for it. You could argue that they should have a 3G option, but I don't blame them for not wanting to deal with a partner (Verizon, etc.) off the bat.

vailpass
09-29-2011, 12:18 PM
The "normal" Kindle's have 3G included for free, as it doesn't take much data to download a book. However, this thing has a full-blown web browser and can stream video. That kind of data doesn't come for free.

Because of that, they basically have a choice of making it WiFi only or making it so that you have to have a subscription for it. You could argue that they should have a 3G option, but I don't blame them for not wanting to deal with a partner (Verizon, etc.) off the bat.

Thank you. I thought (apparently wrongly) that if it had 3G capability you could hook it up to your own carrier for a fee.
The more I think about it the more I realize wi-fi only is not that big of an impact since 1. wi-fi is everywhere and 2. my kids will be using these things mainly at home or in the library.

MoreLemonPledge
09-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Meh, just got a 32gb Touchpad for $50 cheaper.

Seriously, though, this thing is going to sell a shit-ton. Your typical consumer doesn't give a shit about video chat or bluetooth connectivity. They care about the fact that it's $200, it can get on the internet, and it's bigger than a phone.

The only thing I can think of that might hamstring it is if Amazon doesn't allow Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, or other streaming services on it so they can corner the users with the Amazon offerings. I guess if you're an actual Amazon Prime user it won't bother you, but that limits a lot of content.

Cave Johnson
09-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Meh, just got a 32gb Touchpad for $50 cheaper.

Seriously, though, this thing is going to sell a shit-ton. Your typical consumer doesn't give a shit about video chat or bluetooth connectivity. They care about the fact that it's $200, it can get on the internet, and it's bigger than a phone.

The only thing I can think of that might hamstring it is if Amazon doesn't allow Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, or other streaming services on it so they can corner the users with the Amazon offerings. I guess if you're an actual Amazon Prime user it won't bother you, but that limits a lot of content.

Amazon reportedly is allowing Netflix on their app store. As for Pandora, I'd be shocked if it was excluded based on its popularity.

I can definitely see them excluding MOG and Spotify, however.

dirk digler
09-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Thank you. I thought (apparently wrongly) that if it had 3G capability you could hook it up to your own carrier for a fee.
The more I think about it the more I realize wi-fi only is not that big of an impact since 1. wi-fi is everywhere and 2. my kids will be using these things mainly at home or in the library.

One of the biggest knock I have read from people about the Fire is the lack of 3G. This is a cloud device that has very limited access to the cloud unless you are at home or hang out at Starbucks or McDonald's all day.

vailpass
09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
One of the biggest knock I have read from people about the Fire is the lack of 3G. This is a cloud device that has very limited access to the cloud unless you are at home or hang out at Starbucks or McDonald's all day.

Or use your phone as a hotspot.
I'm buying them for my kids to use to check out library books digitally, to play with, and to learn early on how to manipulate the type of tool they will be using in high school and college. They will be at home, library or school all of which have wi-fi.
Fire doesn't seem to be in competition with Ipad, it's a portal to Amazon, public library, internet that is in a separate market IMHO.

Guru
09-30-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm just not sure if I want to get something like this for kids just yet. I almost think the ipod touch is still the better option for kids

vailpass
09-30-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm just not sure if I want to get something like this for kids just yet. I almost think the ipod touch is still the better option for kids

We have those but can't read library books on them

KCFalcon59
09-30-2011, 06:12 PM

Think of their eyesight. Squinting that long on a touch is just child abuse. :D

AustinChief
09-30-2011, 06:30 PM

WTF???

you mean the device that costs more, is HALF the size and does less... If the Touch was priced around $100 or even $150 I could maybe see a point.. but otherwise it is all kinds of stupid to buy an ipod touch over a kindle fire unless your primary concern is keeping it small.

Guru
09-30-2011, 08:02 PM
WTF???

you mean the device that costs more, is HALF the size and does less... If the Touch was priced around $100 or even $150 I could maybe see a point.. but otherwise it is all kinds of stupid to buy an ipod touch over a kindle fire unless your primary concern is keeping it small.

personal preference. break a screen on a touch I can fix it for them. Break the screen on a Fire and I will be out all that money.

AustinChief
09-30-2011, 08:08 PM
personal preference. break a screen on a touch I can fix it for them. Break the screen on a Fire and I will be out all that money.

Do you have a large box of spare Ipod Touch screens? If so, yeah I can definitely see your point.

of course, you could just buy the extended warranty and be protected fully for 2 years with no deductible.. covers accidents and any type of breakdown... and would make the device only a few bucks more expensive than an ipod touch.

Guru
09-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Do you have a large box of spare Ipod Touch screens? If so, yeah I can definitely see your point.

of course, you could just buy the extended warranty and be protected fully for 2 years with no deductible.. covers accidents and any type of breakdown... and would make the device only a few bucks more expensive than an ipod touch.

2 years isn't long enough IMO. Doesn't matter. I'm not the one buying it for a kid. I was just responding with what I felt would be better for a kid.

AustinChief
09-30-2011, 11:23 PM
2 years isn't long enough IMO. Doesn't matter. I'm not the one buying it for a kid. I was just responding with what I felt would be better for a kid.

Ah, for me I see 2 years as perfect... after 2 years the tablet will have lost well over half of its value and be near obsolete. If it breaks after 2 years... it's well past time to replace it anyway.

I see ZERO excuse for anyone to purchase an Ipod Touch until they are priced SIGNIFICANTLY lower than $200.. it just offers nothing extra.

Ebolapox
10-01-2011, 10:29 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=u0t0f0fp59620dd0c0s701&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16834230018

good time for an eeepad.

Guru
02-06-2012, 10:25 PM
purchased one for my wife. Very irritated that the appstore can't be setup to require a password for purchases. My 3 yo already knows how to buy anything he wants. Never had this problem on my other android devices because I keep the link to the store app hidden on them. Kindle makes the store front and center.

Love the device, but this one click ordering on it is for the birds. The owners should have the option of password protection OR one click ordering. Right now they require one click ordering. Asinine.

listopencil
02-06-2012, 10:45 PM
purchased one for my wife. Very irritated that the appstore can't be setup to require a password for purchases. My 3 yo already knows how to buy anything he wants. Never had this problem on my other android devices because I keep the link to the store app hidden on them. Kindle makes the store front and center.

Love the device, but this one click ordering on it is for the birds. The owners should have the option of password protection OR one click ordering. Right now they require one click ordering. Asinine.

Any chance you can use one of those loadable debit cards as the payment info option? I'm thinking the order wouldn't go through then.

Guru
02-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Any chance you can use one of those loadable debit cards as the payment info option? I'm thinking the order wouldn't go through then.

I honestly don't know. Don't have one. I did get Amazon to reverse the charges and filed a request to go up the ladder for password protection from the storefront. Evidently it is a very common complaint but they have yet to do anything about it.

AustinChief
02-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I honestly don't know. Don't have one. I did get Amazon to reverse the charges and filed a request to go up the ladder for password protection from the storefront. Evidently it is a very common complaint but they have yet to do anything about it.

You could password protect your wifi settings. Go to settings and then to restrictions. Not the best solution but may work ok.

Guru
02-06-2012, 11:53 PM
You could password protect your wifi settings. Go to settings and then to restrictions. Not the best solution but may work ok.

Yeah, that was what amazon suggested too. I hate that option because explaining that crap to my wife is almost impossible.

AustinChief
02-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Yeah, that was what amazon suggested too. I hate that option because explaining that crap to my wife is almost impossible.

Yeah you are screwed until amazon fixes it. I bet they will. Seems like something they could easily do and would want to.

Or you could switch over to CM9 when it is ready for the Fire. (I'd guess another 2 months)

If it were me, I'd make the switch unless Amazon fixes it first.

Guru
02-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah you are screwed until amazon fixes it. I bet they will. Seems like something they could easily do and would want to.

Or you could switch over to CM9 when it is ready for the Fire. (I'd guess another 2 months)

If it were me, I'd make the switch unless Amazon fixes it first.

Nah. I don't plan on rooting this one if I can avoid it. My wife is tech challenges as it is. heh

Fruit Ninja
02-07-2012, 12:45 AM
I don't think amazon wants to.fix that issue. Its more money for them on how easy it is to purchase items. The device is pretty damned nice.

Guru
02-07-2012, 12:49 AM
I don't think amazon wants to.fix that issue. Its more money for them on how easy it is to purchase items. The device is pretty damned nice.

thats what I'm afraid of. We may end up taking the device back because of that issue too.

Fruit Ninja
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
Found a way to disable it. Its in the settings. You have to do it through the computer. IT says one click Kindle fire mobile settings, then click turn it off. It was pretty easy.

Guru
02-07-2012, 01:13 AM
Found a way to disable it. Its in the settings. You have to do it through the computer. IT says one click Kindle fire mobile settings, then click turn it off. It was pretty easy.

awesome. Thanks. don't know how I missed that. Wonder why they didn't tell me that on the phone? They kept saying there is no way to turn one click off for the app store as it is required.

Fruit Ninja
02-07-2012, 01:15 AM
dont know if that worked. I just tested it, and i bought an app. lol I think it just means for the main store maybe? lol glad i just bought fruit ninja for 99 cents lol

Well at least fruit ninja is pretty cool.

Guru
02-07-2012, 01:51 AM
dont know if that worked. I just tested it, and i bought an app. lol I think it just means for the main store maybe? lol glad i just bought fruit ninja for 99 cents lol

Well at least fruit ninja is pretty cool.
Oh well, was worth a try.

listopencil
02-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Oh well, was worth a try.

I mentioned the loadable debit card idea because I saw an ad for one at H&R Block when I got my taxes done recently. Now that I think about it, I've seen ads for them all over town. They look like credit cards (with logos on them) and they have numbers on them that look like credit card numbers. I'm wondering if you could pick up something like that on the cheap and just input that as your payment option.

Fruit Ninja
02-07-2012, 08:13 PM
ahh, Austin Chief Fruit Ninja'd my name haha

WV
02-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Still love mine, but my 4 year old discovered the 1 click buying too. I'm now the proud owner of season 1 of H20.....a tv show about 3 chicks that turn into mermaids.

Bewbies
02-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I have to insert a password to buy. I did that in the security settings.

Guru
02-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Where in the settings is that? I'll have to check into it when I get home in the morning.

WV
02-07-2012, 09:47 PM

There is no setting for this on my Fire....looking right now.

WV
02-07-2012, 09:50 PM
The only method I can find is to set a password for the WiFi...seems simple enough. You set the password and it has to be entered before your Fire will connect to your Wifi. Of course this is useless if your using your fire to stream shows for your kid, which is how mine purchased a season of H20.

Fruit Ninja
02-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Got my transfer cable and it makes putting outside content alot better obviously. finally got my ebooks loaded up. Good shit. FRUIT NINJA For LIFE!

Guru
02-08-2012, 04:14 PM
damn thing can't play an AVI file.

Bewbies
02-08-2012, 04:16 PM
There is no setting for this on my Fire....looking right now.

I haven't checked today, but it was for books, I haven't tried it for apps yet. I'll check later tonight and see if it's for both.

Fruit Ninja
02-08-2012, 04:17 PM
lol, nope, it says it in the specs on the page, its the mobile format that mp4 or mp5 or whatever. I have a few movies i converted over. Its kinda better as it shrinks the file size. 700 mb movie can be convered to about 400.

DaFace
02-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Got my transfer cable and it makes putting outside content alot better obviously. finally got my ebooks loaded up. Good shit. FRUIT NINJA For LIFE!

If you're willing to go through the effort, the BEST way to get content on there (IMO) is to sideload Dropbox. Once it's on there, it's insanely easy to transfer stuff.

Guru
02-08-2012, 04:55 PM
lol, nope, it says it in the specs on the page, its the mobile format that mp4 or mp5 or whatever. I have a few movies i converted over. Its kinda better as it shrinks the file size. 700 mb movie can be convered to about 400.

Wonder if it will play AVI after its rooted.

Fruit Ninja
02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
If you're willing to go through the effort, the BEST way to get content on there (IMO) is to sideload Dropbox. Once it's on there, it's insanely easy to transfer stuff.

I've never rooted a mobile Device, i been looking into it, but i dont wanna mess it up. When i feel a bit more brave ill lookinto doing all that. I dont even have a smart phone yet. lol

Fruit Ninja
02-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Wonder if it will play AVI after its rooted.

Its possible, but im nervous about trying to do that. lol Knowing my luck, ill mess it up.

Embracing the inner Fruit Ninja!

Guru
02-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Its possible, but im nervous about trying to do that. lol Knowing my luck, ill mess it up.

Embracing the inner Fruit Ninja!

www.kindlefirewire.com

as soon as my wife confirms for me she wants to keep it, I am rooting this sumbitch.

Fruit Ninja
02-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Yeah, i been there, just nervous to do it as ive seen people saying they have bricked theirs. Ill get the courage to do it sooner or later. Ill wait for you to do it lol

jiveturkey
02-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Hit the XDA forums. It looks like it's gotten easier to root.

I did it back in Dec and it was a pain but I got through it. I loaded CM7 and will move to CM9 once all of the bugs are worked out.

Start here http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1309

DaFace
02-09-2012, 09:12 AM
I've never rooted a mobile Device, i been looking into it, but i dont wanna mess it up. When i feel a bit more brave ill lookinto doing all that. I dont even have a smart phone yet. lol

No need to root to get Dropbox on there.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto-kindle-fire-install-dropbox/

WV
02-09-2012, 10:46 AM
No need to root to get Dropbox on there.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto-kindle-fire-install-dropbox/

What are the benefits of DropBox? I can drag files to and from my Fire by simply hooking it to my CPU.

DaFace
02-09-2012, 10:55 AM
What are the benefits of DropBox? I can drag files to and from my Fire by simply hooking it to my CPU.

If you aren't already using Dropbox, then it's probably only a marginal benefit. However, the basic idea is that you have a folder on your computer that is synced across a bunch of other devices. We keep all of our documents on there, so my wife and I always have access to each other's docs.

With regard to its use on Android, it doesn't sync everything, but you can download anything from your Dropbox onto the device. So basically, if there's something you want to install on your KF, just throw it into the Dropbox, then you can download it onto your Fire whenever you want. No cable necessary.

Fruit Ninja
02-09-2012, 04:35 PM
One thing that is pissing me off with the kindle fire, is that it randomly uploads the same 7 facebook pictures to the device. lol. I dont know WHY its doing this. I cant find anything about it. I can delete them over and over again, but when i put the device to sleep,t hey come right back lol

Cave Johnson
02-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Just picked up one this weekend from the Evil Empire. Plan on rooting it as soon as I get a micro USB cable. Couple questions.

1) I want to dl torrents directly to a USB flash drive. Do I need to buy a micro drive, or would an adapter like this work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816146

2) What are my streaming options for a dl'd avi file to an Apple TV, if any? (e.g., AirPlay)

DaFace
02-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Just picked up one this weekend from the Evil Empire. Plan on rooting it as soon as I get a micro USB cable. Couple questions.

1) I want to dl torrents directly to a USB flash drive. Do I need to buy a micro drive, or would an adapter like this work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816146

2) What are my streaming options for a dl'd avi file to an Apple TV, if any? (e.g., AirPlay)

You're wanting to download torrents using the Fire? Or am I missing something?

Cave Johnson
02-13-2012, 09:08 AM
You're wanting to download torrents using the Fire? Or am I missing something?

Yep. Right now I have to lug my laptop home to dl content that Icefilms doesn't have. My preference would be to stream directly from the Fire. Barring that, I can always use the USB drive to 360 method.

DaFace
02-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Yep. Right now I have to lug my laptop home to dl content that Icefilms doesn't have. My preference would be to stream directly from the Fire. Barring that, I can always use the USB drive to 360 method.

Huh - never even thought of doing that, so I don't have any insights there. Just curious what you are doing. :)

Kyle DeLexus
02-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Huh - never even thought of doing that, so I don't have any insights there. Just curious what you are doing. :)

4F4qzPbcFiA&feature

Guru
02-21-2012, 12:26 AM
One day after my return period at Walmart expires this Kindle goes tits up. Fuck me.

POS fucking shit.

BigMeatballDave
02-21-2012, 01:25 AM
One day after my return period at Walmart expires this Kindle goes tits up. Fuck me.

POS fucking shit.

What's wrong with it?

Guru
02-21-2012, 07:10 AM
What's wrong with it?

Wifi stopped working on it. Essentially making it a brick since they do everything through the cloud. It was a great device until the wifi stopped on it. I've tried everything I know to get it back and even suffered through Amazon CS treating me like I know nothing about electronics. The only option I have is to accept a replacement Kindle. I would rather have my money back than own a device that fails so quickly.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Wifi stopped working on it. Essentially making it a brick since they do everything through the cloud. It was a great device until the wifi stopped on it. I've tried everything I know to get it back and even suffered through Amazon CS treating me like I know nothing about electronics. The only option I have is to accept a replacement Kindle. I would rather have my money back than own a device that fails so quickly.

so you got one with a bug...it happens. There are hundreds of thousands that work just fine...

DaFace
02-21-2012, 08:05 AM

Stuff breaks? Never...

I'd try and return it to Wal-Mart anyway. Most managers there are pretty lenient in my experience.

Saulbadguy
02-21-2012, 08:15 AM

:deevee:

Guru
02-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Luckily walmart took it back.

sorry saul but when a device dies after only 2 weeks of use, I have no interest in keeping it or replacing it with the same one again. I would feel the same with any electronic device.

From what I have read on the internet, this is evidently a very common problem that Amazon does not want to acknowledge. Hopefully they do better on Fire V2.

Fruit Ninja
02-21-2012, 10:12 PM
The way i see it, is that these things are so mass produced that there's bound to be a bundle that fail and they unfortunately make it out. Just like anything i have ever owned that electronic. Shit breaks down and thats the way it is. The darn thing is the number 1 selling tablet right now i believe!

Same goes with my gaming systems, i been through alot of them, some the company fixed for free, some i got screwed n had to buy a new one. Hell, my PS3 just died, but it was old, but it didnt use it that much.

Anyways, sux yours broke down so fast. I've used mine alot reading, i mean everynight for a few hours and its going strong.

Guru
02-22-2012, 12:22 PM
The way i see it, is that these things are so mass produced that there's bound to be a bundle that fail and they unfortunately make it out. Just like anything i have ever owned that electronic. Shit breaks down and thats the way it is. The darn thing is the number 1 selling tablet right now i believe!

Same goes with my gaming systems, i been through alot of them, some the company fixed for free, some i got screwed n had to buy a new one. Hell, my PS3 just died, but it was old, but it didnt use it that much.

Anyways, sux yours broke down so fast. I've used mine alot reading, i mean everynight for a few hours and its going strong.

Of course things break. Hell my xbox died after 3 years but I can live with that. Pretty sure my PS3 is going to go down within the year as well considering the sound of the fan lately.

I expect electronics to break down over 3-5 year periods which is nowhere near as good as electronics used to be but when something dies after a couple weeks. Well, that kills my interest in the product.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Of course things break. Hell my xbox died after 3 years but I can live with that. Pretty sure my PS3 is going to go down within the year as well considering the sound of the fan lately.

I expect electronics to break down over 3-5 year periods which is nowhere near as good as electronics used to be but when something dies after a couple weeks. Well, that kills my interest in the product.

I guarantee you there are more design flaws in your xbox than the Fire

Saulbadguy
02-22-2012, 07:41 PM

PERSONAL ANECDOTES OVER ALL

Guru
02-22-2012, 08:43 PM

so?

Pawnmower
02-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Luckily walmart took it back.

sorry saul but when a device dies after only 2 weeks of use, I have no interest in keeping it or replacing it with the same one again. I would feel the same with any electronic device.

From what I have read on the internet, this is evidently a very common problem that Amazon does not want to acknowledge. Hopefully they do better on Fire V2.

i bet youre the same type of person that continually has problems with tech stuff and rates it one star

basically you are the person everyone ignores the reviews of

lol

You probably dropped it or fucked it up somehow, probably never figured out how to work it or at least get the most out of it, broke it, then they took it back even after the warranty expired....yet you still badmouth it.

FAIL

Guru
02-22-2012, 09:33 PM
i bet youre the same type of person that continually has problems with tech stuff and rates it one star

basically you are the person everyone ignores the reviews of

lol

You probably dropped it or ****ed it up somehow, probably never figured out how to work it or at least get the most out of it, broke it, then they took it back even after the warranty expired....yet you still badmouth it.

FAIL

If you honestly believe that about me then your and idiot.

Omaha
02-23-2012, 07:33 AM
I got one for my wife for V-Day. She loves it. I suddenly want one.

listopencil
02-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Where in the settings is that? I'll have to check into it when I get home in the morning.

You can turn off one-click purchases.

listopencil
02-27-2012, 08:04 PM
The only method I can find is to set a password for the WiFi...seems simple enough. You set the password and it has to be entered before your Fire will connect to your Wifi. Of course this is useless if your using your fire to stream shows for your kid, which is how mine purchased a season of H20.

Tap the "Amazon" icon on your home screen. When you get to Amazon.com, tap the menu icon at the bottom of your screen. When the menu comes up tap "Your Account". When you get to the "Your Account" screen look at the top of the page. On the right hand side there is a link for "1-Click Settings". Tap "1-Click Settings" and you will go to a page where you can toggle 1-click on and off.

Guru
02-27-2012, 08:11 PM
That actually doesn't work. While we still had our Kindle we did all of that and you could still make purchases with it. The only thing you could do to stop accidental purchases was to remove the CC from your account. the problem with that is you also lose access to CC info on the website too.

Fruit Ninja
02-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Yeah, disabling that dotn work. Thats how i got my name changed to Fruit Ninja. If your CC information is on there and it has room, you can buy anything you want. lol

listopencil
02-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Well...blah. I'll just have to be careful then.

AndChiefs
02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Well...blah. I'll just have to be careful then.

There's an "Undo" purchase button on there as long as you do it quickly.

listopencil
02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
There's an "Undo" purchase button on there as long as you do it quickly.

Cool, thanks. I did not know that.

listopencil
02-29-2012, 10:24 AM
I am really liking my Kindle. I use it in the same way that I would use my laptop but it's more convenient, more portable. Even around the house.

jiveturkey
06-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I was running CM7 and recently upgraded to CM9 and absolutely love the Chrome browser. It syncs with my desktop and gives me access to tabs I've left open and has all of my regular bookmarks ready to roll. So far it beats the pants off Dolphin.