PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Apple iPhone 5 or 4s???

KCFalcon59
10-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Well, the Apple iPhone event is starting at 12:00 today. Crazy rumors all over the place this morning. Will it be a small upgrade of iPhone 4 (iPhone4s) or will it be a major makeover (iPhone 5)? I hope it is the latter. Honestly, if they don't wow me with something new, I am thinking of going with the Samsung Galaxy SII.

Bring it on Apple.

Live Blog CNet (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20114388-37/apples-iphone-event-plus-buzz-out-loud-join-us-tuesday-live-blog/?tag=mncol;txt)

Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/apples-lets-talk-iphone-keynote-liveblog/?sort=newest&refresh=60)

Bewbies
10-04-2011, 10:45 AM
From an Android user (me):

Stay the fuck away from Android phones, they suck.

Saulbadguy
10-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Sprint will get the iPhone 5.
AT&T will get the iPhone 4S until early next year.
Dumbass Apple fan boys will collectively cream their pants.

loochy
10-04-2011, 10:47 AM

Definitely get an Android phone, they rule.

wazu
10-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Sprint will get the iPhone 5.
AT&T will get the iPhone 4S until early next year.
Dumbass Apple fan boys will collectively cream their pants.

Is this a guess? Hoping AT&T has the 5.

Saulbadguy
10-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Is this a guess? Hoping AT&T has the 5.

No, not a guess.

wazu
10-04-2011, 10:54 AM
No, not a guess.

Okay, so a rumor then I'm presuming. That's all I can find. Sounds feasible though. DAMN IT!

Deberg_1990
10-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Im waiting for the IPhone 9

KC2004
10-04-2011, 11:59 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1392.jpg

The Rick
10-04-2011, 12:15 PM
A5 processor (same as iPad 2)
World Phone (GSM & CDMA compatible)
8 megapixel camera, f/2.4 aperture
1080p video recording

The Rick
10-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Voice activated "Assistant" is the killer feature...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1502.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1505.jpg

The_Doctor10
10-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm disappointed that they didn't update its exterior a bit; I've never really liked the way the iPhone 4 was designed, and though it is a very good device, the 3GS/3G etc is a nicer looking product.

I was hoping this would have enough to convince me to not switch in 6-12 months when my contract is up, but as of now it looks like the next phone I get will be the Galaxy S2/S3 (Whichever's out first)

The Rick
10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Some seriously impressive stuff here with this voice control:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1527.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1528.jpg

teedubya
10-04-2011, 12:46 PM
This is a much better phone than the Samsung Charge that I have, but it's not an iPhone 5.

Very underwhelming. They announced 2 things really. The iPhone 4S and the Siri Search, which with it's use of Yelp, makes Yelp a strong local competitor.

So, the understated thing for small business... Yelp is now very relevant to your small business rankings.

Saulbadguy
10-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Siri will assimilate us. Resistance is futile.

DMAC
10-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Siri will assimilate us. Resistance is futile.

No shit.

DaFace
10-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Well, that was anticlimactic.

KCFalcon59
10-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Not impressed at all. Almost a year and a half for that. iPhail.

NewChief
10-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Yeah. I didn't watch the video, but I haven't been impressed by voice recognition anything yet... I don't think Siri is going to change that.

Guru
10-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Guess I might as well just upgrade to an ipod touch 4g now. What a huge let down.

DMAC
10-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Guess I might as well just upgrade to an ipod touch 4g now. What a huge let down.

Oh :(

Personal voice recognition assistant to do pretty much everything for you.

7x graphics

2x speed

World phone

What did you want? It's honestly more than what I was expecting.

DMAC
10-04-2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/siri-iphone-4s.jpg

Really cool....

Fish
10-04-2011, 02:13 PM
features iPad 2's dual-core A5 CPU with dual-core graphics card, allegedly 7x faster than iPhone 4 on games, 2x on actual worky stuff
runs on HSPA+ networks, allowing download ups to 14.4Mbp/s versus old 7.2Mbp/s
8-megapixel camera versus 5mp on the iPhone 4, can acccumulate 73% more light for candid shots in strip clubs
shoots 1080p video for clearer homemade sex tapes (bro your ass is hairy)
8-hours battery life talk time on 3G, 10 on 2G, 14-hours on video playback. 6-hours 3G web surfing, 10 Wi-Fi
New trouble-free antennae
"Siri the Secretary" feature allows voice commands like "set an alarm tomorrow for 11AM", "what's the weather?" as well as reading text messages, play music, etc. etc.
16, 32 and 64GB models $199, $299 and $399 (with contract)
Available on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, October 14th

Guru
10-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Oh :(

Personal voice recognition assistant to do pretty much everything for you.

7x graphics

2x speed

World phone

What did you want? It's honestly more than what I was expecting.

I'm talking about the ipod touch not the iphone. all they did to the touch was slap a paint job on it. It looks like the hardware is exactly the same as the 4g.

can you confirm otherwise?

Silock
10-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I like it. I wouldn't have liked a tapered form factor, because when you switch to landscape, it would have been awkward.

A5 is win. Siri is win.

I don't currently have an iPhone, so this looks like a good one to get. If I already had a 4, I wouldn't upgrade, though.

Johnny Vegas
10-04-2011, 02:16 PM
cool features but I'm glad when I got the iphone 4 when if first came out for Verizon. I got to get Verizons unlimited data plan before they changed to 2GB if you sign for a 2 year renewal with an iphone.

DaFace
10-04-2011, 02:17 PM
The voice stuff just doesn't do much for me. Just like texting is more convenient for me than calling, I'd rather just set an alarm the old fashioned way than have to talk to my phone to do it.

Pants
10-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Can you get a 16GB phone and then add a 32gig micro SD card for $50?

Fish
10-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Can you get a 16GB phone and then add a 32gig micro SD card for $50?

There is no microSD slot on the phone. There never will be on an iPhone.

Silock
10-04-2011, 02:24 PM
The voice stuff just doesn't do much for me. Just like texting is more convenient for me than calling, I'd rather just set an alarm the old fashioned way than have to talk to my phone to do it.

I can see that. The thing that immediately struck me, though, was the use for it while driving. I often need to send texts while I drive, and waiting for a stoplight to do it is a pain in the ass, especially when I'm in a hurry.

NewChief
10-04-2011, 02:29 PM

The voice stuff is great if it works worth a shit. My experiences with voice recognition (and I've worked with adaptive technology quite a bit in dealing with visually impaired and learning disabled students) have not been good, and I've used some of the best (Dragon).

It never works as well as advertised and tends to take a lot of "training" for even high end software.

DMAC
10-04-2011, 02:33 PM
The voice stuff is great if it works worth a shit. My experiences with voice recognition (and I've worked with adaptive technology quite a bit in dealing with visually impaired and learning disabled students) have not been good, and I've used some of the best (Dragon).

It never works as well as advertised and tends to take a lot of "training" for even high end software.

I think I read that it will check your calendar for open spots and book appointments for you. That would be HUGE for me, especially while driving.

Fish
10-04-2011, 02:37 PM

[Talks to iPhone]: Text wife. On the way home. Shall I pick up supper?

[Siri]: Texting Wilfred your boss. On the way to your home. Shall I pick up strippers?

:cuss:

NewChief
10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
[Talks to iPhone]: Text wife. On the way home. Shall I pick up supper?

[Siri]: Texting Wilfred your boss. On the way to your home. Shall I pick up strippers?

:cuss:

Precisely. :banghead:

Guru
10-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Yep, confirmed with apple that the new touch is the same as the old touch but with a new color, better fingerprint protection on the glass and an updated gyro. iOS5 will work the same on touch4 as it will on this new touch.

Guess I held out for a year for nothing.

DMAC
10-04-2011, 02:46 PM
So Nano can display a clock face? I would wear one on my wrist if there were wireless headphones for it...that would be very cool.

http://www.upvery.com/attachments/images/201011/20101130180237.jpghttp://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/11/ipod-nano-clock.jpg

KCFalcon59
10-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Should have been $99, $199, $299.

Fish
10-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Should have been $99, $199, $299.

Do you have some additional information on part and production costs regarding the iPhone 4S? Or are you just throwing out your own estimations of worth?

Chiefs Pantalones
10-04-2011, 04:32 PM
So...it's pretty much the same thing but the voice thing? What is an iPhone 4S?

AustinChief
10-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Some seriously impressive stuff here with this voice control:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1527.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/iphone5apple2011liveblogkeynote1528.jpg

Welcome to Android 2.2... AKA over a year ago.

I will admit that it looks like Apple took it one step further.. now Google will have to extend the functionality of its voice controls.

This isn't going to do jack for their sales vs Android. Nothing here that isn't already available in other phones/services/operating systems...

Guru
10-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Another thing, why is it that the Nano gets fitness software that does't require the Nike+ add on but the touch has to have the Nike+ add on or dig through a bunch of apps to see which one is accurate enough?

Silock
10-04-2011, 05:11 PM
This isn't going to do jack for their sales vs Android. Nothing here that isn't already available in other phones/services/operating systems...

I totally disagree. The problem isn't that Google is incapable of doing it. The problem is that they just don't market it like Apple does. So, even though they've had most of that functionality for a while, they don't reach the people like Apple does.

AustinChief
10-04-2011, 05:26 PM
I totally disagree. The problem isn't that Google is incapable of doing it. The problem is that they just don't market it like Apple does. So, even though they've had most of that functionality for a while, they don't reach the people like Apple does.

Well they certainly don't reach 43% of all smartphone users like Android does :D

Yes, Apple market their services far better and get their users to actually use them far more... but it doesn't translate to sales. It does however translate to PROFITS, which is why I see no reason for them to change anything as they slide down towards a sub 20% market share.

KCFalcon59
10-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Do you have some additional information on part and production costs regarding the iPhone 4S? Or are you just throwing out your own estimations of worth?

I don't know what the hell I was thinking. For some stupid reason I thought they were skipping a 16G and only going 8G, 32G and 64G. Never mind. Still underwhelmed though.

Fish
10-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Truthfully, you could get 3rd party software that will do many of the things that Siri will do. It's just never been integrated into the OS like this. That does open up quite a bit of leverage with location and calendaring options. But I still really question how it will actually do in real scenarios. Like others have pointed out, voice solutions like this have been rather lacking.

Overall, I'm pretty meh on everything they've released today.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I got the iPhone 4 in July even though I knew iPhone 5 would be released shortly. Where I live I can't get 4G anyway but by the time my contract is up I'll be able to. Not to mention, the iPhone 7 or another phone I might want will be out by then with even more advanced technology and toys.

AustinChief
10-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Truthfully, you could get 3rd party software that will do many of the things that Siri will do. It's just never been integrated into the OS like this. That does open up quite a bit of leverage with location and calendaring options. But I still really question how it will actually do in real scenarios. Like others have pointed out, voice solutions like this have been rather lacking.

yep. Although both Apple and Google have made massive strides toward making voice controls more usable... they aren't at a point where they are more useful than frustrating. I am happy that Apple is upping the ante in this area... hopefully it will speed up the development of better solutions.

The release of iOS5 and iCloud in a few weeks is far more exciting. I expect that Android ICS will probably be released that same week as well. (or within a week or two at most)

NewChief
10-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Someone needs to go ahead and register "damnyousiri.com" in the vein of damn you autocorrect (which is a fucking book now).

ILChief
10-04-2011, 07:21 PM

I agree. Mine runs like crap.

The Rick
10-04-2011, 08:06 PM

If it works anything like this video shows (and early indications are that it really does), it's going to be an eye opener.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri.html

The Rick
10-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Welcome to Android 2.2... AKA over a year ago.

I will admit that it looks like Apple took it one step further.. now Google will have to extend the functionality of its voice controls.

Funny how you're OK with giving Apple some credit...as long as you're the one dishing out said credit. :p

DaFace
10-04-2011, 08:18 PM
If it works anything like this video shows (and early indications are that it really does), it's going to be an eye opener.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri.html

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2T4v5nfVKTk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JD10367
10-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Funny how you're OK with giving Apple some credit...as long as you're the one dishing out said credit. :p

Oh no you di'nt. DO NOT get him going over an "Apple/PC" discussion.

http://www.drunktiki.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/release-the-kraken.jpg

Urc Burry
10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I've been holding out for another ipod touch since i'm still rocking the first generation 8 gig... and the new 8 gig is still 199, and the next step up is 32 gig which is 299... that's disappointing

Guru
10-04-2011, 09:45 PM
I've been holding out for another ipod touch since i'm still rocking the first generation 8 gig... and the new 8 gig is still 199, and the next step up is 32 gig which is 299... that's disappointing

Yeah, it cracks me up that the prices for the touch haven't changed one bit until today on one SINGLE unit. The 8gb went from 229 to 199 but the 32gb stayed at the usual 299 and the 64gb stayed at 399.

Not to mention they made no significant change at all on this years "update" A price drop would have been the logical thing to do this year.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 05:35 AM

Only because I give credit when it's actually DUE.. as opposed to the cool-aid drinking douche bags who give Apple credit for shit they have invented since 1985... I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy.. but at least they didn't STEAL a bunch of shit from PARC labs and then try to claim it as their own.. Steve Wozniak was one of my childhood heroes.. Steve Jobs can suck a giant bag of cocks.. fuck him and everything he has ever done... he's a prick and a worthless human being.. and if THAT is what APPLE is today.. they can go straight to hell and so can all their fanbois.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Oh no you di'nt. DO NOT get him going over an "Apple/PC" discussion.

hey, for me it isn't Apple vs PC... it's douchebag assholes vs people that actually know what they are talking about... I am one of the few people here that was an original Apple guy... I was rocking an Apple IIc back in 1985!

Buck
10-05-2011, 05:55 AM
LOL Voice Recognition. Some of you are actually excited about this.

Fucking fanboys.

Posted from my Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation.

The Rick
10-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Only because I give credit when it's actually DUE.. as opposed to the cool-aid drinking douche bags who give Apple credit for shit they have invented since 1985... I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy.. but at least they didn't STEAL a bunch of shit from PARC labs and then try to claim it as their own.. Steve Wozniak was one of my childhood heroes.. Steve Jobs can suck a giant bag of cocks.. fuck him and everything he has ever done... he's a prick and a worthless human being.. and if THAT is what APPLE is today.. they can go straight to hell and so can all their fanbois.
ROFL

This coming from a guy with a little green robot tattooed on his ass...

The Rick
10-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Everyone steals from everyone and tries to do it better than the other guy. It's called business. Much like what Google did after they saw Apple release their first multi-touch smartphone. Much like Google did when they saw Apple expand to multi-touch tablets.

I'm not doubting that Android had voice recognition first. Apple took it and made it better with Siri which can actually understand speech context. Pretty cool that you can ask what the weather is in New York, get the answer from Siri, then respond with "How about Chicago" and it knows from your last question that you're still talking about the weather.

Not to mention the system-level integration which Android also doesn't have (yet?). Pretty cool that you can say "Schedule a meeting at 1:00 today for XYZ" and when it says you already have something scheduled at that time, you can respond with "Move it to 4:00" and Siri will move the previously scheduled thing to 4:00 and continue booking your new 1:00 appointment.

This isn't just speech-to-text...it's so much more than that.

Silock
10-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Because Google has never, ever stolen anything, right?

Bob Dole
10-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Someone needs to go ahead and register "damnyousiri.com" in the vein of damn you autocorrect (which is a ****ing book now).

Someone nabbed it 8/29.

DaKCMan AP
10-05-2011, 08:34 AM

Either your particular phone sucks or you suck.

Definitely get an Android phone, they rule.

This. My phone is Awesome.

I took an Automatic Speech Processing class when I was working on my Master's in EE. Modeling the human speech system is not an easy task. To get the best results you really do need to do a lot of user-specific training and even then it won't be perfect.

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Voice recognition on a phone is different from dictation software.

You only need to program a limited number of terms in to a phone.

wazu
10-05-2011, 08:53 AM
So, am I understanding right that there is no "iPhone 5" actually spelled out as being on the horizon now? That for the foreseeable future it's 4S?

The Rick
10-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Here's a video showing how (well) Siri works:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rNsrl86inpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Here's a video showing how (well) Siri works:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rNsrl86inpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imagine that, works flawlessly, just like my set of Ronco knives did when they made a commercial about them.

Pants
10-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Voice recognition on a phone is different from dictation software.

You only need to program a limited number of terms in to a phone.

The Google one works really well in my experience. It knows infinite amounts of words because you can use your voice to search for anything you want on the interwebs and it will be correct 99% of the time. You can be driving, search for Oklahoma Joe's on your phone (using voice) and instantly get directions to it. Pretty sweet.

The Rick
10-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Imagine that, works flawlessly, just like my set of Ronco knives did when they made a commercial about them.
OK, here you go:

Most notable of those features is the device’s “personal assistant,” otherwise know as Siri, which is a voice-controlled secretary of sorts which translates commands and questions into human language answers and actions. I had a chance to use this feature during our brief demo, and if I wasn’t blown away during Scott Forstall’s presentation on stage, this definitely changed my mind.

and...

Taken one by one, this might not sound like much, but in use I found it kind of staggering. I wasn’t speaking slowly (as Scott did during the event) or even trying very hard to sound clear. There was background noise. But it really worked, and worked well. Some of my requests were more specific (“Show me theaters that are playing Moneyball“) and didn’t return the results I wanted. Siri knew I said Moneyball and seemed to know it was a movie (it capitalized the title), but couldn’t tell me where it was playing.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/04/iphone-4s-hands-on-impressions/

vailpass
10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
LMAO Rick the Fanboi

Saulbadguy
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
LMAO Rick the Fanboi

I know, right? Jesus.

Mr. Plow
10-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I'd really like to get an iPhone....but it's that whole "Apple" thing that keeps me away.

vailpass
10-05-2011, 11:32 AM
New iPhone feature is butt of Japanese joke

Apple might have disappointed the hordes dying to get their hands on an iPhone 5 when it announced the new iPhone 4S on Tuesday, but the company still managed to impress them with new apps.
Particularly impressive is Siri, Apple's new voice-command app that lets you talk to your iPhone. Need to know how bad traffic is in your area? Just ask the phone and Siri will give you real-time data on traffic outside.

However, Apple forgot the cardinal rule of language-based technology: If you build it, your audience is going to make lewd jokes with it. And Apple's new app made it all too easy for people to turn it into a joke, considering what Siri sounds like in Japanese. Here's a hint: The iPhone 4S almost certainly will be Sir Mix-a-Lot's favorite smartphone.

To the Japanese, the name Siri sounds almost identical to 尻, pronounced shiri. Shiri is a colloquialism for -- in the politest possible sense -- buttocks. Its proper usage, however, is crude. As Yoree Koh of The Wall Street Journal put it, the comparable term in English rhymes with "crass." Compliments for Apple's major new technology, likely to be the focus of marketing campaigns across the world, will make the speaker sound like a cat-calling construction worker in Japan.

Shortly after Siri was announced, both "Siri" and "shiri" became trending topics on Twitter in Japan. Google Japan searches for Apple's new voice-recognition software had the search engine asking users if they actually were looking for "shiri," and it isn't difficult to imagine what the image search returned on those queries.

Given Apple's flair for branding, it's surprising that the company didn't know about this potential gaffe before announcing Siri to the world. Japan is, after all, a major market for the company.

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=997fbbc3-2075-431b-8c24-6246f96aefa7&gt1=33009

DaFace
10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
LMAO Rick the Fanboi

I know, right? Jesus.

I try not to be the pile-on type, but this just seems weird to me.

Taken one by one, this might not sound like much, but in use I found it kind of staggering. I wasn’t speaking slowly (as Scott did during the event) or even trying very hard to sound clear. There was background noise. But it really worked, and worked well. Some of my requests were more specific (“Show me theaters that are playing Moneyball“) and didn’t return the results I wanted. Siri knew I said Moneyball and seemed to know it was a movie (it capitalized the title), but couldn’t tell me where it was playing.

How can you post that paragraph and insinuate that everything's hunky dorey without noting the sentence immediately following that specifically says it didn't work as well as hoped?

DMAC
10-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I know, right? Jesus.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yl9dsgZjkQg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish
10-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Siri actually got its name from the reverse spelling of Iris, the Greek goddess who is known as the messenger of the Gods. She's known for communication, messages, the rainbow(LOL), and new endeavors.

The Rick
10-05-2011, 12:42 PM
How can you post that paragraph and insinuate that everything's hunky dorey without noting the sentence immediately following that specifically says it didn't work as well as hoped?
I apologize if it came across that I was trying to insinuate that everything was perfect with it. I wasn't trying to, which is why I didn't worry about "hiding" or removing the example of where it wasn't perfect.

My point is that I think a lot of people have a misconception that Siri on the new iPhone 4S is the same old thing we've seen already in technology which is a clunky, horrible experience. An experience where:

1. You have to speak extremely slow
2. Even with uncomfortably slow speaking and perfect enunciation, it still doesn't get it right
3. It only knows/recognizes a handful of deliberate commands

All indications, so far, are that while Siri may not be as good as speaking to a real person (see above in regards to Moneyball), it's shaping up to be leaps better than the clunky experience we've all become accustomed to. Maybe it will be, maybe it won't be. But some people on this thread like to think they already know the answer despite having seen it or tried it. Of course, these are the same people who like to throw out the term "fanboy" like it's going out of style. :rolleyes:

But I digress...

I'm of the opinion that this is going to be something different. The fact that you can have somewhat of a conversation with it such as "What's the weather in New York?", and after a response, responding back with "How about San Francisco?" and it knowing that what you're really after is "What's the weather in San Francisco?" is a greater achievement than I think some realize. We're not to "HAL" level stuff yet, but Siri is a leap closer.

Just my (fanboy, if you will...) opinion.

Bewbies
10-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Either your particular phone sucks or you suck.

I'm on my 3rd HTC Inspire in 6 months, this was was broken the day I got it. Wont charge, the OS is Crap, crashes and needs to be rebooted multiple times a day. Wont charge, did I.mention that it won't charge?

This phone is everything my iPod touch isn't.

Mr. Plow
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm on my 3rd HTC Inspire in 6 months, this was was broken the day I got it. Wont charge, the OS is Crap, crashes and needs to be rebooted multiple times a day. Wont charge, did I.mention that it won't charge?

I had nothing but problems with my old HTC - so much so that I vowed to never buy another HTC product again.

loochy
10-05-2011, 02:39 PM

That's what I've got...and I've never had a hint of a problem.

Bewbies
10-05-2011, 02:42 PM
That's what I've got...and I've never had a hint of a problem.

You're lucky. We have about 20 at work and they all suck. Ass.

Would never spend $1 of my money on an HTC product after having this.

Pants
10-05-2011, 02:49 PM
I have the EVO 3D and I love it. I got it in early August, so there's still plenty of time for some problems to crop up, I guess.

Silock
10-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Categorizing all Android phones as crap simply because you had a bad experience with one manufacturer isn't right.

That's another thing, I suppose, that Apple has going for it. Control the hardware, and if people have a bad experience, at least they're blaming you for it and not another company.

Android is pretty great. /shrug

vailpass
10-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Siri actually got its name from the reverse spelling of Iris, the Greek goddess who is known as the messenger of the Gods. She's known for communication, messages, the rainbow(LOL), and new endeavors.

Apparently it also got it's name from the Japanese demigod Gluteus-san.

Fish
10-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Apparently it also got it's name from the Japanese demigod Gluteus-san.

Yes. Reverse Engrish is always hilarious...

vailpass
10-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes. Reverse Engrish is always hilarious...

:D

Silock
10-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Steve Jobs can suck a giant bag of cocks.. fuck him and everything he has ever done... he's a prick and a worthless human being..

YOU killed him, you bastard!

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 06:43 PM
YOU killed him, you bastard!

ouch, yeah bad timing on that comment.

Bewbies
10-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Categorizing all Android phones as crap simply because you had a bad experience with one manufacturer isn't right.

That's another thing, I suppose, that Apple has going for it. Control the hardware, and if people have a bad experience, at least they're blaming you for it and not another company.

I actually agree with this. My friends that have Motorola's don't seem to have the same piece of shit that I do.

It's sad my experience has been so bad, because even I can see huge potential in the system.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for things that "just work."

DaFace
10-05-2011, 08:03 PM
I actually agree with this. My friends that have Motorola's don't seem to have the same piece of shit that I do.

It's sad my experience has been so bad, because even I can see huge potential in the system.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for things that "just work."

If that's your stance, an iPhone could be a good fit for you (seriously). I love my Droid, but I love it for all that I can MAKE it do, not for all that it does flawlessly.

Guru
10-05-2011, 10:01 PM
man, I wish I didn't have so many apps for ipod. I'm really debating if I truly want to upgrade to the 4g touch or not. The 2g is just so slow now that I only use one app that I leave open all the time by my bed. And of course the alarm.

What sucks is that there are really no other options to the ipod touch as everything else is a phone. I don't need or want a phone with those ridiculously expensive contracts.

If the standalone iphone 4 wasn't so expensive I would just go that route and never use it as a phone. That way I would have the processing power and a decent camera. Two things I thought this years touch would get.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 10:23 PM
man, I wish I didn't have so many apps for ipod. I'm really debating if I truly want to upgrade to the 4g touch or not. The 2g is just so slow now that I only use one app that I leave open all the time by my bed. And of course the alarm.

What sucks is that there are really no other options to the ipod touch as everything else is a phone. I don't need or want a phone with those ridiculously expensive contracts.

If the standalone iphone 4 wasn't so expensive I would just go that route and never use it as a phone. That way I would have the processing power and a decent camera. Two things I thought this years touch would get.

Samsung Galaxy Player 4 comes out Oct 16th (I think..) and basically is exactly what you are looking for with the advantage of not being a crappy Apple product!

Guru
10-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Samsung Galaxy Player 4 comes out Oct 16th (I think..) and basically is exactly what you are looking for with the advantage of not being a crappy Apple product!

I'm searching on Amazon but not finding any Galaxy that isn't a phone.

Nevermind. found it. Kind of disappointed that it is only 8gb of storage though. I know it has a SD slot but the ipod is 32gb for about the same price on Amazon.

AustinChief
10-05-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm searching on Amazon but not finding any Galaxy that isn't a phone.

yeah, you have to wait two more weeks for when they are actually released in the US.

Galaxy Player 4: October 16th release date; $229

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/1424353-samsung-galaxy-player-4-5-20110927/

they also have a 3.6" model that is available overseas and eventually may make it here...

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-reveals-galaxy-s-wifi-3-6-music-player-01176276/

Smed1065
10-05-2011, 10:34 PM

This for me. Version 1.0 was not great but now!

Guru
10-05-2011, 10:41 PM
yeah, you have to wait two more weeks for when they are actually released in the US.

Galaxy Player 4: October 16th release date; $229

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/1424353-samsung-galaxy-player-4-5-20110927/

they also have a 3.6" model that is available overseas and eventually may make it here...

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-reveals-galaxy-s-wifi-3-6-music-player-01176276/
Ahh, I see my mistake now. I was looking at a 5" model that costs 269. Sure would like to see all three side by side by side so I can have an ideal how much bigger the Galaxy will be over the touch.

Silock
10-05-2011, 10:47 PM

You can get an iPhone 4 for ~$300 on eBay right now. I'm sure the prices will come down even more soon.

I really, really like Android, too. More than iOS probably. But because of all my apps and such, I'm getting a 4S.

Guru
10-05-2011, 10:51 PM
You can get an iPhone 4 for ~$300 on eBay right now. I'm sure the prices will come down even more soon.

I really, really like Android, too. More than iOS probably. But because of all my apps and such, I'm getting a 4S.

I'm kind of stuck to Amazon as I have a bunch of credit to burn and a couple gift cards too.

Silock
10-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Amazon sells used stuff, too. Not sure if they sell used iPhone 4, though.

The Rick
10-05-2011, 10:53 PM
ouch, yeah bad timing on that comment.
:)

Guru
10-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Hmmm, why did they go backwards on the Galaxy camera though. SEems that the most recent generation player had a 5mp camera while the new player will only have a 3.2mp camera. odd.

Guru
10-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Hey Austin, can you find a specs comparison of the new Galaxy Player and the ipod touch 4g? I can't seem to find any. I know the previous Galaxy Player was slower than the touch but I am curious if the new one will be just as quick or not.

AustinChief
10-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Hey Austin, can you find a specs comparison of the new Galaxy Player and the ipod touch 4g? I can't seem to find any. I know the previous Galaxy Player was slower than the touch but I am curious if the new one will be just as quick or not.

I don't know of any spec comparisons out yet, I expect to see some when it really hits the market in 10 days.

Guru
10-06-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't know of any spec comparisons out yet, I expect to see some when it really hits the market in 10 days.

It amazes me that Samsung doesn't seem to have any info on this new player on their site as yet.

Guru
10-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Wow, didn't notice that the 4" model has a pathetic battery (1200mAh) compared to the 5" (2500mAh) model. Problem with the 5" model is that it is damn huge. Not really pocketable at all.

Kind of hard to decide between too large or crapple heh.

Fish
10-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Siri in action....

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MKRwV3DTVLo?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Silock
10-12-2011, 03:52 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5mNcnj2l6RE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

L.A. Chieffan
10-12-2011, 03:58 PM
sometimes siri is like "magic", sometimes shes a stupid cunt.

L.A. Chieffan
10-12-2011, 04:37 PM
other than the camera, what is the difference between the 4 with the updated software and the 4s?

Silock
10-12-2011, 04:47 PM
The 4S is ridiculously faster.

The Rick
10-13-2011, 12:07 PM
ROFL

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/10/siri-big.jpg

Silock
10-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Siri is fantastic. I've used it perhaps 30 times today, and only once has it not recognized what I wanted. Pretty sure I was mumbling, though.

Guru
10-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Found my ipod touch 2g replacement.

An LG Thrive from ATT GoPhone. Nice little android unit that does everything I need it to. Plus a 3.2megapixel camera, FM radio and GPS built in.

Nice thing with this is that I don't even have to have the phone service. win win for me.

AustinChief
10-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Found my ipod touch 2g replacement.

An LG Thrive from ATT GoPhone. Nice little android unit that does everything I need it to. Plus a 3.2megapixel camera, FM radio and GPS built in.

Nice thing with this is that I don't even have to have the phone service. win win for me.

Cool thing with that is that at $40 a piece you can have as many 32 GB microsd cards as you want to store your music library.

AustinChief
10-15-2011, 07:20 PM
The 4S is ridiculously faster.

From what I have heard, the hardware is on par with the top end Android devices but the new OS is much much faster at web rendering... supposedly Android is about to leapfrog or at the least catch up in that regard next week with Ice Cream Sandwich. We shall see.

Guru
10-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Cool thing with that is that at $40 a piece you can have as many 32 GB microsd cards as you want to store your music library.

meh. I'm fine with an 8 for now. My music library is only 5 gigs right now.

Silock
10-15-2011, 07:44 PM
From what I have heard, the hardware is on par with the top end Android devices but the new OS is much much faster at web rendering... supposedly Android is about to leapfrog or at the least catch up in that regard next week with Ice Cream Sandwich. We shall see.

Makes sense. It seems to be just as fast as my iPad 2 in terms of web rendering. It's very, very fast.

BTW, Ice Cream Sandwich is a stupid fucking name lol

AustinChief
10-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Makes sense. It seems to be just as fast as my iPad 2 in terms of web rendering. It's very, very fast.

BTW, Ice Cream Sandwich is a stupid fucking name lol

YOUR FACE is a stupid name!

Silock
10-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Don't talk about Da Face like that!

Guru
10-15-2011, 09:44 PM

BTW, Ice Cream Sandwich is a stupid ****ing name lol

agreed. ICS is dumb as hell. Surely there had to be other I words they could have used.

DaFace
10-15-2011, 11:08 PM
This is somehow kind of awesome.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/15/the-iphone-belt-buckle-holster-for-the-cowboy-in-you/

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1064/il570xn270821301.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/il570xn270821301.jpg/)

Guru
10-15-2011, 11:10 PM
This is somehow kind of awesome.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/15/the-iphone-belt-buckle-holster-for-the-cowboy-in-you/

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1064/il570xn270821301.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/il570xn270821301.jpg/)

:spock:

BigRedChief
10-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Tryed to upgrade my IPhone 4 to 5.0 version. Had to restore my phone to factory settings and trestore from backup.

I'd wait to upgrade your OS.

NewChief
10-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Tryed to upgrade my IPhone 4 to 5.0 version. Had to restore my phone to factory settings and trestore from backup.

I'd wait to upgrade your OS.

Great. I'm currently upgrading mine.

The Rick
10-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Siri can pour you a beer now. :)

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/30892539?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/30892539">Beeri</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/redpepper">redpepper</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

OnTheWarpath58
10-21-2011, 03:45 PM
She's got a sense of humor. A buddy of mine told her to go fuck herself, and she responded, "Ask nice, now."

LMAO

Buck
10-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Siri can pour you a beer now. :)

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/30892539?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/30892539">Beeri</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/redpepper">redpepper</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

What a waste of time and beer.

BigMeatballDave
10-29-2011, 04:17 PM
So the big thing with the 4S is the Voice Activated commands? Seriously? That is the ad I'm seeing. Are people really that lazy?

Johnny Vegas
10-30-2011, 03:43 PM
So the big thing with the 4S is the Voice Activated commands? Seriously? That is the ad I'm seeing. Are people really that lazy?

Which promotes a hands free interaction which is a good thing when you consider that most people will text/schedule/surf/talk on their phones while they drive. With just a click of the button they can speak to text and give commands without looking down.

Silock
10-30-2011, 05:52 PM

And a much faster phone. And a better camera. The hardware is the most impressive part of the phone for me. But I still use Siri all the time.

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Which promotes a hands free interaction which is a good thing when you consider that most people will text/schedule/surf/talk on their phones while they drive. With just a click of the button they can speak to text and give commands without looking down.How about not fucking with your phone AT ALL WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING?

BigMeatballDave
10-30-2011, 06:01 PM
And a much faster phone. And a better camera. The hardware is the most impressive part of the phone for me. But I still use Siri all the time.:rolleyes: My phone has voice activated dial, text to speech and search, google etc. I rarely use it.

I just think that is a stupid ad. Like Apple discovered something here.

Guru
10-30-2011, 06:22 PM
How about not ****ing with your phone AT ALL WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING?

THIS:thumb:

NewChief
10-30-2011, 06:58 PM
:rolleyes: My phone has voice activated dial, text to speech and search, google etc. I rarely use it.

I just think that is a stupid ad. Like Apple discovered something here.

I'm not that impressed with Siri either (because I'm skeptical of any voice-activated software), but it does quite a bit more than the things you've just outlined.

Johnny Vegas
10-30-2011, 07:08 PM
How about not fucking with your phone AT ALL WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING?

I agree but can't stop free will.

Silock
10-30-2011, 07:26 PM
How about not fucking with your phone AT ALL WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING?

Pressing a button is hardly "fucking with your phone."

Should people not press buttons on their radios? A/Cs? What about hitting the defroster?

Silock
10-30-2011, 07:26 PM
:rolleyes: My phone has voice activated dial, text to speech and search, google etc. I rarely use it.

Fantastic. iPhones have also had that capability for a while. But Siri is, as others have said, much more than that.

Saulbadguy
11-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Siri doesn't seem to be working. Anyone else having trouble? Seems like a piece of shit so far.

vailpass
11-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Fantastic. iPhones have also had that capability for a while. But Siri is, as others have said, much more than that.

So very much more. *sigh* I heart Siri. Its like I'm talking to Steve Jobs...and he is answering.

Johnny Vegas
11-14-2011, 06:31 PM
can Siri be a good use for answers to jeopardy? what about cash cab? what about SAT's and ACT's? Could anyone confirm this with their 4s please?

Fish
01-23-2012, 08:17 PM
FYI.... a jailbreak has been released for A5 devices.... iPhone 4S and iPad2 running iOS5.

Super easy if the device is already running 5.0.1…. Did my iPhone in less than 5 minutes.

Instructions for Mac: http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-4s-ipad-2-untethered-on-ios-5.0.1-using-absinthe/

Instructions for Win: http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-4s-and-ipad-2-on-windows-the-easy-way-using-absinthe-video/

Now that Siri has been jailbroken, shit is going to get awesome....