PDA

View Full Version : Computers Hard Drive Question

listopencil
10-04-2011, 08:22 PM
I just bought a new PC and was telling a guy at work about it. We started talking about the solid state hard drives. What do you guys think of installing a small one just for the operating system? Would that speed up a system do you think?

Barret
10-04-2011, 08:42 PM
That is what a lot of people do. Make sure your motherboard can access the SATA port at 6 Mb/s. Alot of the older boards are set at 3 MB/s

You can get a 60g or an 80g that should be able to run your OS and then put in a regular drive to save all your content on. Your boot up into Windows will be very quick compared to a regular drive.

Mr. Laz
10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
I just bought a new PC and was telling a guy at work about it. We started talking about the solid state hard drives. What do you guys think of installing a small one just for the operating system? Would that speed up a system do you think?
It's what i've done.

I found a real sweet deal on a 120 gig SSD during xmas. I put the OS and speed dependent apps on the SSD and everything else on a big platter HD.

I can tell which HD something is running on without even looking.

jspchief
10-04-2011, 08:45 PM
A lot of money per gig, but if you store your most frequently used programs on there it will speed things up.

listopencil
10-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the input, I think I'll give it a try.